Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Share Your Mary-Sues!
BlinktheCookie Emerald Sparx Gems: 3556
#1 Posted: 16:45:22 15/05/2013 | Topic Creator
I know Mary Sues are an exasperated topic. They're always talked about, pointed out, and it's the first accusation that's called out when someone hates a character.

Let's face the facts, though: In our earliest years of character creation, we all had one (in my case, an entire army of them), and most of them are hilarious to hear about. Here is where you can share your Sues and take part in the joy of unearthing the shameful past! smilie

(They don't have to be from the Spyro fandom)

I'll share my first Sue, which was coincidentally from the Spyro fandom:

Her name was Cookie. She was a shameless self-insert that started as an unusually brave human who just happened to be able to enter the dragon realm, and eventually ended up a half-dragon-half-human who could change forms at will and had a flamethrower and could also become a cat just because. Her dragon form was a Spyro recolor.

Now I still use her dragon form as a minor comedy relief character in mini-comics, but that only works because she's hilariously weak now.

I have several more, of course. Cookie is just the first...
HotDogAndZap Emerald Sparx Gems: 3531
#2 Posted: 00:56:50 16/05/2013
I will probably sound like an idiot, but I have no idea what a Mary-Sue is...
#3 Posted: 03:13:34 16/05/2013 | Topic Creator
Mary Sue is difficult to define, and it's use varies greatly. I'd recommend reading up on it, but for a hilarious interpretation, see here: http://browse.deviantart.com/a...torial-48101443
jennacat4 Gold Sparx Gems: 2329
#4 Posted: 01:53:11 01/06/2013
I never really had any I can remember. Eh, when I was younger, maybe.
---
http://youtu.be/gSSUco8AzDU
#5 Posted: 04:02:10 03/06/2013 | Topic Creator
I had quite a few. Some I made on my own, others were only Sues because I had a less experienced friend "helping" me create the character.
Dark_Spyro999 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4713
#6 Posted: 23:53:12 26/07/2013
Oh heck. ALL of my characters are Mary Sues. It's my Fan characters that i don't care that they are Mary Sues. They only exist for me to not exist in reality and for me to escape into their world. No one has to complain about them because they will never have to read or hear about them. But i do try to make them as not sue as possible. I hate having mary sues to run around as. As for my original characters in my own stories, it's been a long, long journey to make my MC not a sue. She still has some kinks though. I'm still working on the others.
---
I is ded
#7 Posted: 18:27:42 24/08/2013 | Topic Creator
Quote: Dark_Spyro999
Oh heck. ALL of my characters are Mary Sues. It's my Fan characters that i don't care that they are Mary Sues. They only exist for me to not exist in reality and for me to escape into their world. No one has to complain about them because they will never have to read or hear about them. But i do try to make them as not sue as possible. I hate having mary sues to run around as. As for my original characters in my own stories, it's been a long, long journey to make my MC not a sue. She still has some kinks though. I'm still working on the others.

Fan characters are usually hard not to label as Sues, because they have to be unrealistically immersed into the game's universe to provide for an adequate story (or escape).

Anyway, this isn't so much an "I hate Sues" topic as it is just a topic tell all about ours for the fun of nostalgia smilie As a matter of fact, I don't take any of mine seriously because they're really only there for escapist-brand fun.

I'll give you guys another one:

I had made up a long-lost little sister for Bianca smilie Bianca saved her from becoming another apprentice of the Sorceress and took her on as her own (there was a way more complicated story to it that was almost laughable). She was a hyper-intelligent magical child prodigy who would also grow up and fall in love with a cheetah (who was also an OC but not near as overpowered).
Dark_Spyro999 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4713
#8 Posted: 05:15:11 25/08/2013
Quote: BlinktheCookie
Quote: Dark_Spyro999

Fan characters are usually hard not to label as Sues, because they have to be unrealistically immersed into the game's universe to provide for an adequate story (or escape).

Anyway, this isn't so much an "I hate Sues" topic as it is just a topic tell all about ours for the fun of nostalgia smilie As a matter of fact, I don't take any of mine seriously because they're really only there for escapist-brand fun.

I'll give you guys another one:

I had made up a long-lost little sister for Bianca smilie Bianca saved her from becoming another apprentice of the Sorceress and took her on as her own (there was a way more complicated story to it that was almost laughable). She was a hyper-intelligent magical child prodigy who would also grow up and fall in love with a cheetah (who was also an OC but not near as overpowered).

Yeah, apparently the only way to make a fanOC NOT a sue, is to have them walk by the Main character and not do anything at all. smilie.

I made a purple dragon that was a next next next purple dragon after Spyro in the TLOS universe. She was raised by the Chronicler or something and did something timey-wimey in the past with Spyro. LOL.
---
I is ded
dinorang67 Gold Sparx Gems: 2409
#9 Posted: 20:04:17 01/03/2014
Uh... Gary-somethings are supposed to be boys right?

Well, I have a great Gary Oak--GARY-SOMETHING TALE to share today.
Gather around, kids.
AHUM
Once upon a time, there was a SkyPonies RP.
My character was like the Pegasus version of Drobot.
It seemed okay at first, then we actually teleported there.
I pretty much ruined the RP.
My character (for no reason) had so many laser (or lazer guns, as I called them smilie) guns in his arsenal it was like Skyrim. (HEY DRAGONBORN HOW DO YOU CARRY THAT DRAGON SKELETON AROUND IF YOU HAVE NO POCKETS) Then he had like, all the knowledge in the world about Skylands. I didn't get kicked out, but I got mad that the creator warned me in a very subtle way, (I'm not being sarcastic he was actually really nice) so I left the RP.

OKAY KIDS CLASS DISMISSED.
---
and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out a
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6071
#10 Posted: 02:43:25 22/03/2014
Most of my characters would be considered Mary Sues I suppose, but because my life is very outside the norm, they don't read as such to anybody. I've got a werewolf girl who is immune to bullies because she's just so dang positive, a faun who has a hard life but gets comfort and counseling from good friends, and a short but nasty dragon who can kick anyone's butt and doesn't give a darn what anyone thinks, among many, many others. A Mary Sue is really just wish fulfillment and there's nothing wrong with that (Batman is the most popular Mary Sue around).

As far as fandom went, all my OCs tended to be outside the norm, too. Just in Spyro fandom I had a dragon/faun hybrid who never had any adventures, a disabled dragon who was mean and crazy and died young, a Manweersmall with a taste for archaeology, and a bunch of dead apes who mostly just wanted to let go of their hatred over the genocidal dragons who'd made their entire species extinct so they could be at peace (except Liru; he just wanted the world to burn). :D My OCs from other fandoms mostly just died, existed as motivation for canon characters, were created just to fill a hole in the storyline, or existed to explore a concept that wasn't touched on in canon. I always tended to take things I enjoyed and draw inspiration from them rather than create characters to shove into a work I had been fairly satisfied with as it was.

Hilariously, though, I did create a pink dragon who was Spyro's baby sister back when the first game was new. She existed solely as a plot device (Spyro had to babysit her egg, which got accidentally transported to Gnasty Gnorc's house and he had to rescue her before his parents found out). Her name was Emberly. I had forgotten about her for about a decade; boy was I surprised when I remembered the character and connected the dots after playing A Hero's Tail. :D
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#11 Posted: 11:34:48 08/04/2014
Quote: Lyveriana
Quote: dinorang67
Uh... Gary-somethings are supposed to be boys right?

Well, I have a great Gary Oak--GARY-SOMETHING TALE to share today.
Gather around, kids.
AHUM
Once upon a time, there was a SkyPonies RP.
My character was like the Pegasus version of Drobot.
It seemed okay at first, then we actually teleported there.
I pretty much ruined the RP.
My character (for no reason) had so many laser (or lazer guns, as I called them smilie) guns in his arsenal it was like Skyrim. (HEY DRAGONBORN HOW DO YOU CARRY THAT DRAGON SKELETON AROUND IF YOU HAVE NO POCKETS) Then he had like, all the knowledge in the world about Skylands. I didn't get kicked out, but I got mad that the creator warned me in a very subtle way, (I'm not being sarcastic he was actually really nice) so I left the RP.

OKAY KIDS CLASS DISMISSED.

About skyrim, I know exactly what you mean.
now: T-teacher... I-I'm scared to leave class now!

Once upon the time you have to anyways. Deal with it
Why is this in-Oh nevermiiiind!
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6059
#12 Posted: 16:08:56 17/04/2014
Quote: HotDogAndZap

A Mary-Sue is a female character who is typically perfect in every way. She always wins in battle, can do pretty much anything, and can't be defeated no matter what. She's likely to be rather over-powered. As an added bonus, she may have some tragic backstory to make her somewhat tortured and add to her overall bad-***ery.

A good example, IMO, would be Kairi in Kingdom Hearts. She's a Princess of Heart making her heart filled with pure light, something only 7 people in the world have. She is also capable of weilding a Keyblade, another thing only few can do. And no matter what, she seems to get constantly seperated from Sora, the guy she likes.

The male version of this is a Gary-Stu.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
Masked Man Blue Sparx Gems: 564
#13 Posted: 21:49:04 18/09/2014
All of my old characters were mary sues. I'm going to use the biggest example; Vecoline, my old Skylanders OC.
[User Posted Image]
Well, i'm just going to begin with the fact he had an ENTIRE UNIVERSE he controlled, however, he kept it a secret. I made Vec win nearly every battle, and I called him one of the strongest and most popular Skylanders out there multiple times. One time, I was planning to make Vecoline the leader of the Fire Skylanders, but that never ended up happening. Vecoline was also as cliche as you can get. He had an evil brother, a love interest held captive, and a role in a prophecy. The other Skylanders OCs I made looked up to him. For instance, Count Desertstone saw Vec as a "master king that could ace through everything". Vec defeated all of the villains in his stories single-handed, destroying a giant robot with his evil brother's son in it, killing the son in the proccess, and killing his evil brother and evil clone with just a swipe of his talons. Here are a few things from the old page:
"His ability to fly is special since he can fly to extreme speeds."
"Vecoline is good at stalking" (wat)
"Fredmark hated the Skylanders and their world so he wanted to take over or destory it. He was defeated by the 5 Skylanders and was mad he got defeated by his own brother. After he failed to destroy Skylands wth a machine, Vecoline killed him by putting him in the machine."
"But if evil attacks, most Skylanders stay away because his talons can be very strong"
Oh, and did I mention that he was based off of a dog toy I still have to this very day?
[User Posted Image]
---
mmmm sexy vore
EyeBrawler2014 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3429
#14 Posted: 02:51:10 19/09/2014
I have OCs, but they're definitely not Mary/Gary-Sue/Stus. I put time into every character I've made to make them just right. Some have tragic backstories, but they are definitely not all-powerful and perfect. Take my 1st OC, Kigali, for example

He was born in a laboratory as part of an experiment by Professor M to see if he could make the perfect animal. He and his sister Virtu were treated completely different, Ki did simple experiments while Virtu was used to test volatile chemicals. Virtu tricked Ki into killing 25 scientists to escape the laboratory. I found him when we was 5 and I taught him how to enjoy his life. He still thinks about his past and how things have changed. Now he protects his sister, who's nice now.

He's not a Gary-Sue, but he has his problems like everyone
---
Find me on Discord, I'm eyebrawler98#6720
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#15 Posted: 04:46:35 30/07/2015
Quote: Seiki
Quote: HotDogAndZap

A Mary-Sue is a female character who is typically perfect in every way. She always wins in battle, can do pretty much anything, and can't be defeated no matter what. She's likely to be rather over-powered. As an added bonus, she may have some tragic backstory to make her somewhat tortured and add to her overall bad-***ery.

A good example, IMO, would be Kairi in Kingdom Hearts. She's a Princess of Heart making her heart filled with pure light, something only 7 people in the world have. She is also capable of weilding a Keyblade, another thing only few can do. And no matter what, she seems to get constantly seperated from Sora, the guy she likes.

The male version of this is a Gary-Stu.

Umm...She is not a mary sue it's just she is undeloped character.
ShadowMewX Diamond Sparx Gems: 8044
#16 Posted: 15:52:07 11/08/2015
Quote: EyeBrawler2014
I have OCs, but they're definitely not Mary/Gary-Sue/Stus. I put time into every character I've made to make them just right. Some have tragic backstories, but they are definitely not all-powerful and perfect. Take my 1st OC, Kigali, for example

He was born in a laboratory as part of an experiment by Professor M to see if he could make the perfect animal. He and his sister Virtu were treated completely different, Ki did simple experiments while Virtu was used to test volatile chemicals. Virtu tricked Ki into killing 25 scientists to escape the laboratory. I found him when we was 5 and I taught him how to enjoy his life. He still thinks about his past and how things have changed. Now he protects his sister, who's nice now.

No offense, but, uh... 25 scientists? Murder without remorse? Ability to forgive sister despite all that's happened?
---
Let's bust bunsen burners and bounce!
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#17 Posted: 00:55:45 12/08/2015
Quote: ShadowMewX

No offense, but, uh... 25 scientists? Murder without remorse? Ability to forgive sister despite all that's happened?

Ay, gurl, give him a break, he's like a teenager. He doesn't know how to write well.

He probably thinks Shadow the Hedgehog is a well written character.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
StormDragon21 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5537
#18 Posted: 02:36:44 13/08/2015
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

Ay, gurl, give him a break, he's like a teenager. He doesn't know how to write well.

He probably thinks Shadow the Hedgehog is a well written character.

Umm…wrong comparison…

Just look at her username…

~~~~

On the matter of Mary-Sues, I took a test that supposedly told you if your character was a Mary-Sue or not. The results were that it was most likely. Then, I realized I took the whole test entirely wrong. That's my story for the day. Dragon out!
---
"sTORM, my parents just told me something that RUINED MY LIFE. DID YOU KNOW that Smarties have different flavors?!" ~ShadowMewX
Skyhunter Diamond Sparx Gems: 8887
#19 Posted: 22:09:58 04/10/2015

*sigh* Alright, Austin. I love you like a brother, and I hate to break it to you, but I'd have to disagree with you. I didn't want to tell you because I was afraid you couldn't handle it. From what I can tell from your writing, I can't work out any character for Ki other than "generic nice guy". For someone that laments his past, he doesn't seem all that torn up about it which kinda falls into the category of "informed attribute". Show, don't tell. And Shadme makes a good point, forgiving his sister so easily after all she'd done seems a little contrived if you ask me. Although I'll give you credit, whether intentional or not, he has a few character flaws, like his naivety and over-dependence on others. And actually, while I'm on a tangent, I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be much variety in your OCs. Of all your characters I've met, they all seem to be carbon copies of each other personality-wise.

-------------

As far as my OCs go, I will be honest, I do have my fair share of Mary Sues. This is mainly due to the fact that it takes me a lot longer to flesh out my OCs than other users, when I just want to use them in an RP. Take Lotus for example. I made her for the sole purpose of being a love interest, didn't give her any background at all, and she's pretty much just a gender-flipped version of Foxtail without powers. The only reason I keep her around is because she plays a semi-major part in Foxtail's backstory and because I wrote myself into a corner by giving her a relationship with another user's character.

Another example is Blister. I shot myself in the foot when I made his origins, and that lead to a lot of plot holes regarding what he's able to do. He was imprisoned and enslaved in his world's equivalent of Hell under the micromanaging eye of a being omnipotent and in total control of that realm. If that's true, it doesn't explain how he knows how to do stuff like manipulate the Force or how he's familiar with artifacts from the "real" world. The fact that his origins are a game with literally no story or lore to speak of doesn't help.

While I have other, more reasonable, fleshed out characters (at least, they are as far as I'm concerned), they might come off like Mary Sues because the context of the situation doesn't allow their traits to shine through.
---
It doesn't matter if the bars are iron or gold, a cage is a cage.
EyeBrawler2014 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3429
#20 Posted: 20:11:09 05/10/2015
Oh... I guess so... I'm definitely not the best at this, but I do try... I guess I don't try hard enough...
---
Find me on Discord, I'm eyebrawler98#6720
BlackWing116 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1480
#21 Posted: 09:41:56 07/10/2015
I guess everyone has their fare share of OC's that are mary/gary sues. Bet I've got a few too?

I know myself I do, I just can't think of them straight away smilie
ShadowMewX Diamond Sparx Gems: 8044
#22 Posted: 23:37:59 07/10/2015
Shadme's prototype (basically the self-OC character I used before I came up with Shadmé)... oh gods... *shiver*
I was too young to think of good character development, is all I can say...
---
Let's bust bunsen burners and bounce!
StormDragon21 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5537
#23 Posted: 02:07:51 25/10/2015
Shadme's prototype (basically the self-OC character I used before I came up with Shadmé)... oh gods... *shiver*
I was too young to think of good character development, is all I can say...

You haven't even seen Young Skyward. Seriously. Mix up every cliche in the book and you have her. I'm too embarrassed to look at the older descriptions anymore.
---
"sTORM, my parents just told me something that RUINED MY LIFE. DID YOU KNOW that Smarties have different flavors?!" ~ShadowMewX
RainbowSkygirl Gold Sparx Gems: 2013
#24 Posted: 21:53:47 11/07/2016
I never really made Sues, I had a couple of ~edgy dark side~ characters but I doubt they count as Sues. The closest thing I can think of is a My Little Pony OC named Glammerwing or Glitterwing or something, a Fluttershy clone visually who got huge wings from a flower and soon after became a bratty popular girl.
Oh yeah, she was also born from a Glimmerwing Fluttershy figure with a drawn-on new Cutie Mark:
[User Posted Image]
---
Lurked moar since 2011 and I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing.
MekakuCityPKMN Yellow Sparx Gems: 1516
#25 Posted: 18:51:33 13/08/2016
Ooooh boy. I used to be BAD about Mary Sues. For instance, I had a fan OC named Hope. She was this really strong lady who couldn't even be beat by the protag (who is also kinda a mary sue if I'm being honest) that saved my then two favorites from certain death by the main antag, then befriended said antag and ended up the girlfriend of the Necessary Edgelord(tm). She did have a tragic backstory too, with her recently self-widowed mom abandoning her and her being raised by a ghost cat. Somehow though, she was super charismatic despite the lack of human interaction for the first half of her life.

I actually ended up reusing her for my original series, Bonfire, as the older sister of the current protagonist. She's still pretty strong, but more in the way of an experienced soldier than born with it. Her backstory's still there, but now it makes sense with her personality- she has a lot of trouble with some of the nuances of human interaction, comes across as super socially awkward, and lets her friends do most of the talking instead of her. Of course, she doesn't exactly get to use it much apart from in backstories, since she died before the story, which was supposed to be about her, began. She did end up with another edgelord, but it isn't explained as "she was so good she made her rival fall in love with her" kinda thing. It's more of a "hey, my last boyfriend just kicked the bucket, I want to keep Smelly Friend from hitting on me, I'll pay you 20 bucks to pretend to be my boyfriend" turned "oh no s/he's hot".
---
"KRANK up the Sky-Chi!"

might be making a soft continuation of the series, idk
#26 Posted: 05:41:30 17/03/2017 | Topic Creator
Listen guys I didn't make this topic for you guys to fight. I personally enjoy Sues. I love them. They're my guilty pleasure. Let's all enjoy them together.
emeraldzoroark Platinum Sparx Gems: 5357
#27 Posted: 00:17:44 24/03/2017
Anything anyone makes in Skylanders Imaginators ever.
---
Soon.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me