darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Spyro the Dragon > Who misses the old school Spyro games?
First | Page 2 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4
Who misses the old school Spyro games? [CLOSED]
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9212
#51 Posted: 06:50:30 01/07/2012
Quote: SamXala
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
Quote: Sesshomaru75
MediEvil was a PS1 game and it got a remake for the PSP.

Why didn't Sony port it to the PS2? Bloody Goonros.

Actually, the PS3 wasn't out when MediEvil got a remake. It was in 2005 when it came to the PSP. So I don't really count that one.

oooohhhh I Miss MediEvil so Much >.<

I really like the first one, I love the atmosphere to it mostly, more so than the actual gameplay of it. I don't like the sequel at all, I think it just looses all of it's magic. It's too generic after the first one.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#52 Posted: 23:11:04 02/07/2012

Why didn't Sony port it to the PS2? Bloody Goonros.

Actually, the PS3 wasn't out when MediEvil got a remake. It was in 2005 when it came to the PSP. So I don't really count that one.

I really like the first one, I love the atmosphere to it mostly, more so than the actual gameplay of it. I don't like the sequel at all, I think it just looses all of it's magic. It's too generic after the first one.

Yeah that's true, The first game was Amazing, Scary, Funny and it wasn't a Short game. I Didn't like much the second one because I feel like it wasn't the same thing...
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
Winston1 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1089
#53 Posted: 00:39:34 03/07/2012

Yeah that's true, The first game was Amazing, Scary, Funny and it wasn't a Short game. I Didn't like much the second one because I feel like it wasn't the same thing...

I think the main reason why fans dislike Medievil 2 was do to expectations that the first game raised which couldn't be matched a second time around, kind of like with Ghostbusters 2. With that said, if you look at Medievil 2 as its own game then it's actually pretty good. At least it wasn't a sequel like Devil May Cry 2.
MagicCrafters Green Sparx Gems: 350
#54 Posted: 06:02:23 05/07/2012 | Topic Creator
Medievil used to scare me so much, but now actually playing it it makes such a cool story.
---
smilie Where's Gnasty Gnorc? I'll torch him! smilie
Winston1 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1089
#55 Posted: 13:42:56 05/07/2012
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Quote: Winston1
I think the main reason why fans dislike Medievil 2 was do to expectations that the first game raised which couldn't be matched a second time around, kind of like with Ghostbusters 2. With that said, if you look at Medievil 2 as its own game then it's actually pretty good. At least it wasn't a sequel like Devil May Cry 2.

I actually liked Medievil 2 and DMC 2. I prefer the original Medievil over the second, but the second was still pretty good to me. And DMC 2 is my favorite of the first three games, despite it's many flaws. I can still see why they are disliked though.

Same. I liked the original Medievil the most, but still enjoyed Medievil 2 and Resurrection, although I can understand why other fans didn't. As for DMC 2, I agree with the vast majority that it definitely was nowhere near as great as the first or third game, but, really, it was still a decent game in its own right.
#56 Posted: 00:37:46 06/07/2012
Medievil Resurection was Awesome :]
---
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#57 Posted: 00:40:50 07/07/2012
(sigh) Even though I accept Skylanders, I still keep thinking about the old Spyro games a lot. Everybody in gaming media remember the likes of Megaman and Goldeneye 64 but Spyro seems to have lost in time. Did Spyro never truly grasped the same popularity as Mario and Sonic did? Was Spyro considered second-rate when the series was at it's peak?

Makes me wish for Charles Zembillas do one last drawing of Spyro and write "He will never be forgotten..." in the same sense as Tetsuya Nomura's drawing of Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII. I'll keep pondering to myself until then.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Purple n Spyro Ripto Gems: 1096
#58 Posted: 04:33:38 07/07/2012
I do indeed want him back! He's just not the same anymore.. ;__;... My little Purple Buddy is gone.. D; WAAAH
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9212
#59 Posted: 14:24:41 07/07/2012
Quote: StevemacQ
(sigh) Even though I accept Skylanders, I still keep thinking about the old Spyro games a lot. Everybody in gaming media remember the likes of Megaman and Goldeneye 64 but Spyro seems to have lost in time. Did Spyro never truly grasped the same popularity as Mario and Sonic did? Was Spyro considered second-rate when the series was at it's peak?

Makes me wish for Charles Zembillas do one last drawing of Spyro and write "He will never be forgotten..." in the same sense as Tetsuya Nomura's drawing of Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII. I'll keep pondering to myself until then.

In one way, you could say that Mario and Sonic compared with Spyro seems to make them both very over-rated, which I think that Mario and Sonic are, and also Pokemon. - Generally speaking.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:56:23 07/07/2012 by SuperSpyroFan
spyrodadragon Green Sparx Gems: 490
#60 Posted: 14:28:36 07/07/2012
especially mario and pokemon
---
everyone spam this now Posted Image: http://cdn.memegenerator.net/i...0x/30597908.jpg
or the enderman will kill you
#61 Posted: 21:39:34 07/07/2012 | Topic Creator
I bought Skylander for my computer, but I guess that the computer version had to be one of the fussiest seeing as though it doesn't work -.- well, it does, but it lags soooooooo badly. Walk for like 5 minutes and still be in the same area. It sucks. But, I got it because I'm such a huge Spyro fan, and I had heard good things about the game. But I don't know, if they continue to make Spyro games I really think the Skylanders franchise should stop or continue but have Spyro being made with another company, just because even though the Legend Of Spyro series and the originals were completely different, they were all essentially about Spyro himself, not a lot of spin off characters that kind of come across as mains. If you get what I'm saying?
---
SpyraArtisan Blue Sparx Gems: 609
#62 Posted: 22:39:27 07/07/2012
Quote: MagicCrafters
Me too! I'm writing Spyro fanfic at the moment of TLoS series combined with the originals. Based in Gateway to Glimmers version of Avalar, but I'm including characters like Cynder and the Guardians smilie

I'm doing sorta the same thing with the meshing except:

It's the legend series, but with classic Spyro and classic spyro characters instead, but still keeping the enimies, elders, and other things. just replacing legend characters with the classic characters.

Cynder is a depressing betch. Spyro's a little bit of a dork.

Oh, and it's about Spyro creating a large army/league to defeat Malefor once he escapes the center of the planet, stronger than ever... and really P'd off.

The first book... I had to completely rewrite because I saw how stupidly written I had it, so now the new version isn't anywhere but on my hard drive at the moment. smilie

EDIT: I also forgot to mention, I'm making it a series, too. The first one is about how it came about, what it's like after Malefor was trapped in the crystal, and ect.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:40:37 07/07/2012 by SpyraArtisan
#63 Posted: 02:54:28 08/07/2012
Quote: MagicCrafters
I bought Skylander for my computer, but I guess that the computer version had to be one of the fussiest seeing as though it doesn't work -.- well, it does, but it lags soooooooo badly. Walk for like 5 minutes and still be in the same area. It sucks. But, I got it because I'm such a huge Spyro fan, and I had heard good things about the game. But I don't know, if they continue to make Spyro games I really think the Skylanders franchise should stop or continue but have Spyro being made with another company, just because even though the Legend Of Spyro series and the originals were completely different, they were all essentially about Spyro himself, not a lot of spin off characters that kind of come across as mains. If you get what I'm saying?

Yeah you right, for me Spyro is not the "Main" character in Skylanders. I'll hope Activision is thinking about making a Spyro game, NOT SKYLANDERS >.<
---
spyrodadragon Green Sparx Gems: 490
#64 Posted: 02:58:37 08/07/2012
^it's totally kaos
---
everyone spam this now Posted Image: http://cdn.memegenerator.net/i...0x/30597908.jpg
or the enderman will kill you
#65 Posted: 06:31:34 08/07/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote:
I'm doing sorta the same thing with the meshing except:

It's the legend series, but with classic Spyro and classic spyro characters instead, but still keeping the enimies, elders, and other things. just replacing legend characters with the classic characters.

Cynder is a depressing betch. Spyro's a little bit of a dork.

Oh, and it's about Spyro creating a large army/league to defeat Malefor once he escapes the center of the planet, stronger than ever... and really P'd off.

The first book... I had to completely rewrite because I saw how stupidly written I had it, so now the new version isn't anywhere but on my hard drive at the moment.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention, I'm making it a series, too. The first one is about how it came about, what it's like after Malefor was trapped in the crystal, and ect.

Great idea! We'll have to look at each others sometime smilie
---
WolfTron Green Sparx Gems: 216
#66 Posted: 12:32:22 20/07/2012
Oh do I ever miss the classic Spyro... How I wish he would gloriously return to his former self and introduce again the fun of good ol' fashioned 3D platforming the way it was meant to be!

For now though, I'll have to keep replaying and enjoying every bit of the original trilogy!! smilie
---
I saw something shiny
ilovespyro11 Gnorc Gems: 334
#67 Posted: 12:39:35 20/07/2012
^Aw, yes. If I was old enough I'd try do something about it...i hate being 12 -.-
#68 Posted: 13:02:49 20/07/2012
I don't know how much there is to do :/ Activision has plans for Skylanders for the time being it would seem, so it's really up to them at this point. We can always dream though... That and voice our opinions! Of course there are many different types of Spyro fans to please at this time though... There are original fans, Legend of Spyro fans, Skylanders fans, and fans that are a mix of a few or all of these separate groups. Here's hoping we get to see good ol' Spyro back in action though someday, I'm glad to see others in support of the classic!! smilie
---
I saw something shiny
#69 Posted: 13:31:26 20/07/2012
@WolfTron Agreed. Before i joined dS I thought I was the only one who had heard of Spyro apart from my dad! Lol smilie
#70 Posted: 18:58:20 20/07/2012
The world ain't quite that small smilie Though I'll admit I very seldom ever meet people who have played Spyro (especially in the Playstation One era). Seems like people are too busy with their Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time to notice the purple dragon lol
---
I saw something shiny
emberelora Emerald Sparx Gems: 3059
#71 Posted: 13:51:18 23/07/2012
There is no doubt I absolutely adore the old Spyro series. It made up my childhood (that and old school dance games) so it definitely gives me a sense of nostalgia the new stuff can never give. However I can't say I miss it because I can still play the original trilogy, so it's not like it's gone forever.
---
"This is the most musically inclined situation I've ever found myself in and I've played guitar hero!"
#72 Posted: 09:20:36 25/07/2012
@Sesshomaru75 Yeah, there are plenty of competing titles out there that definitely deserve the love out there for them.. Good thing we're here to appreciate Spyro just as we love those other stellar titles!
PS- (looking at your signature) Adventure Time for life.

@emberelora I completely agree. Games that make up things like the original Crash and Spyro trilogies should still be enjoyed today as they have their own charm and uniqueness that isn't really present in today's games. Keep on playin'!
---
I saw something shiny
Nibelilt Ripto Gems: 401
#73 Posted: 10:13:27 25/07/2012
I desperately miss them. Sure, I go back and replay them, and really enjoy it, but I've done it so many times, I want more of it in a new form. The Legend series was a good distraction, but Skylanders is rubbish as a game. It's time for a new Classic-style game already.
#74 Posted: 22:21:23 25/07/2012
Quote: Nibelilt
I desperately miss them. Sure, I go back and replay them, and really enjoy it, but I've done it so many times, I want more of it in a new form. The Legend series was a good distraction, but Skylanders is rubbish as a game. It's time for a new Classic-style game already.

Most likely I'd be really excited over the idea of a more classic-styled game, however I doubt it would happen seeing as the developers have put Spyro on a whole new course that would be difficult to get back. Besides, if it happened, it might end up being like the whole Sonic 4 scenario where some people ended up being overly dramatic of the game not being classic enough.
---
"This is the most musically inclined situation I've ever found myself in and I've played guitar hero!"
#75 Posted: 04:11:41 26/07/2012
Quote: emberelora

Most likely I'd be really excited over the idea of a more classic-styled game, however I doubt it would happen seeing as the developers have put Spyro on a whole new course that would be difficult to get back. Besides, if it happened, it might end up being like the whole Sonic 4 scenario where some people ended up being overly dramatic of the game not being classic enough.

The old school "fans"... Most of them are impossible to whet anyway, some CrashAndSpyro dude or something springs to mind. That part is pretty much dead now, sadly. Most of that part would probably whine over it being multiplatform and not PS-exclusive. smilie
#76 Posted: 09:00:40 26/07/2012
That's what I mean, like the developers may sometime give in to those people and try their best to make a game as close to the originals as possible and who knows maybe it would be good. However there will always be ones who will nit-pick and complain about the smallest detail of it not being classic or whatever.
---
#77 Posted: 13:00:26 26/07/2012
Oh. Well, hopefully with the next proper Spyro game they'll realize. smilie Trying to make Classic cameos in Skylanders was a disaster.
#78 Posted: 14:09:37 26/07/2012
I shall live in hope. :/ And I've yet to play Skylanders, so I'm unable to make a balanced opinion on it. I admit the concept of the idea is a good one, and I'd probably somewhat enjoy it. However having Spyro in the title does make me iffy about it as Spyro being in it just doesn't gel with me. I don't know why, maybe it was the embarrassing attempt to go back to classic but it spiralled off.
---
#79 Posted: 15:53:15 26/07/2012
I agree with all of you :-) One day they might make a comeback on the classics...just a thought
#80 Posted: 19:10:39 26/07/2012
Quote: ilovespyro11
I agree with all of you :-) One day they might make a comeback on the classics...just a thought

It will be a Wish come true
---
#81 Posted: 23:14:50 29/07/2012
The thing about Sonic 4... Sonic Fan Remix was a better game and it was developed by the fans! I just found that astonishing... I too wish for a classic-styled Spyro game though, it'd be wonderful to play in the classic fashion again once more!
---
I saw something shiny
#82 Posted: 11:30:44 30/07/2012
Quote: WolfTron
The thing about Sonic 4... Sonic Fan Remix was a better game and it was developed by the fans! I just found that astonishing... I too wish for a classic-styled Spyro game though, it'd be wonderful to play in the classic fashion again once more!

Hmm really. Probably was a better game. I suppose it was the whole "by the fans for the fans" that did it instead of creators trying to make an interpretation on what the fans want. :) Maybe someone will make a fan-made classic spyro game in future times? Who knows. :P
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:31:51 30/07/2012 by emberelora
#83 Posted: 11:53:55 30/07/2012
Someone is working on one right now! It's called Spyro The Dragon: Eclipse, and looks to be very promising. smilie In fact, there's a thread about it in Fandom somewhere.
#84 Posted: 13:16:51 30/07/2012
Oh really? smilie I'll have to go check that out. smilie
---
#85 Posted: 14:12:47 30/07/2012
Someone is working on one right now! It's called Spyro The Dragon: Eclipse, and looks to be very promising. smilie In fact, there's a thread about it in Fandom somewhere.

o.0 What? Really? WHERE?
---
Wojowu Yellow Sparx Gems: 1415
#86 Posted: 17:07:44 30/07/2012

o.0 What? Really? WHERE?

Yeah, look on Youtube for hoixsoft. He has several videos showing game creation progress
---
Any Osu fan here?
#87 Posted: 03:16:52 31/07/2012
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=40210
AshETERNAL Green Sparx Gems: 387
#88 Posted: 03:17:49 01/08/2012
Certainly me. I LOVE the new games, but classic Spyro has always had a special place in my heart because I grew up with him. The only Spyro games I can still play for hours on end day after day without getting bored, is the originals. If they made a new classic Spyro game, or upgraded the old ones with better graphics, I'd get it no matter how much money I'd have to spend.
---
*Previously on this site as GlitchGirl. Heheh. I hate losing passwords and forgetting what of 5 emails you registered with smilie*
#89 Posted: 16:20:09 01/08/2012
Quote: AshETERNAL
Certainly me. I LOVE the new games, but classic Spyro has always had a special place in my heart because I grew up with him. The only Spyro games I can still play for hours on end day after day without getting bored, is the originals. If they made a new classic Spyro game, or upgraded the old ones with better graphics, I'd get it no matter how much money I'd have to spend.

Absolutely Agree with you, I never get bored when I'm playing the original games too (The First 3)
It will be a good Idea to see a Remaster or a new Spyro game smilie

PD: Thanks Wojowu and Nibelilt for the information smilie
---
#90 Posted: 20:00:37 02/08/2012
I hope there will be progress in StD Eclipse. I'd like to see final result of whole work smilie
---
Any Osu fan here?
Lateef Green Sparx Gems: 227
#91 Posted: 20:47:47 10/08/2012
I miss the old games, so, so much - not just because of the old hardware or the limitations, but because of how they handled it. The thing the video game industry chokes on the most lately is that because there are no more meaningful limitations to what you can do with your game, there's no drive to push the upper limit.
That's what games need: to push the ceiling until it breaks, to rise up above the rest of them, and to truly innovate. It's easy now to make a game out of the most technologically impressive art assets, and even I could, with a year of time to do it. But it's not intellectually stimulating and it doesn't inspire emotions. That's the true meaning of pushing the limit, doing so in a way that is not only beautiful, but stunning. To truly bring the player to another world is much more valuable than to leave them in the same one, even with shiny graphics.

I'm not opposed to higher technology. But it's brought on a new era of laziness. I truthfully admire indie gaming now, because with no expectations, no ratings, and no enormous budgets, it's so much closer to the gaming I know.
It reminds me a lot of the recent high-quality lossless music trend. Of course being able to hear something as clearly as possible is valuable, but the contents are still what matters. I'm disappointed in how quickly we've lost track of the big picture.
Voltara Blue Sparx Gems: 538
#92 Posted: 01:02:11 05/09/2012
I have never played these games but i would like to.
---
As the sun lowers...Darkness moves in...The night has risen on my broken soul. I will be lost before the dawn...
#93 Posted: 12:54:14 05/09/2012
^ If you want, you can download some PSX simulator. I won't paste link here, 'cause this is piracy, but if you want, I can PM links for you
---
Any Osu fan here?
Star Dragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 5323
#94 Posted: 15:33:54 12/09/2012
I miss old school Spyro. I loved the original trilogy back on the PS1. The original Spyro the Dragon was my first PS1 game, back when the game was released in 1998. I also liked the first three GBA games. When Enter the Dragonfly was released the series went downhill for me. I hated ETD, got bored of A Heroes Tail and didn't enjoy the first two Legend of Spyro games. I didn't mind Dawn of the Dragon. I like Skylanders for what it is but I just can't accept it as a true Spyro game and I don't like Spyro's Skylander look. There are other dragon Skylanders over Spyro that I prefer to play as. I recently replayed through the original trilogy and they're still as good as i remember to this day. I doubt they'll make any new Spyro games that are similar to the PS1 games anytime soon but it would be great if they did.
---
What! Marco sent you here? I've got a restraining order against him! - Rapunzel, Spyro 3
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7660
#95 Posted: 16:47:46 12/09/2012
^Same here, I get a massive wave of nostalgia when I play Insomniac games
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
#96 Posted: 23:02:43 12/09/2012
^Me too >.<
---
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7660
#97 Posted: 15:43:11 13/09/2012
100th post! Yay im so awesome ima play Spyro now smilie
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
First | Page 2 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me