darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Spyro the Dragon > Who misses the old school Spyro games?
Page 1 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4
Who misses the old school Spyro games? [CLOSED]
MagicCrafters Green Sparx Gems: 350
#1 Posted: 00:37:05 22/06/2012 | Topic Creator
I know that some people have heard rumours about the re-construction of these older games. But even if they did decide to make this decision, who else agrees that even the old graphics and incredibly old manufactured levels will always be the best! Who else agrees? What do you guys miss about the old Spyro's? smilie
---
smilie Where's Gnasty Gnorc? I'll torch him! smilie
faunatic Yellow Sparx Gems: 1811
#2 Posted: 01:00:03 22/06/2012
faun doesn't really miss the old games because faun still has working copies and plays them when nostalgia hits. a graphically updated version of the original trilogy for the ps3 would be faun's dream come true, though.

about the old spyro, faun misses the little guy's personality, the bright levels, the fun platforming and collecting, the amusing characters, the amazing music... it was always a surprise that this level of fun and creativity didn't return to the franchise until skylanders (which isn't quite as good, but comes as close to the heart and soul of the insomniac games as any of the series after "year of the dragon", at least to faun's mind).
#3 Posted: 01:06:26 22/06/2012 | Topic Creator
I totally agree with faun! I find that the essential platforming of the levels and the game where the coolest part. Just by the fact that before you could enter a level you could only judge it by the shade of the background shown within the portals. I miss the portals, dragon eggs, orbs, and most of all, the dragon treasure that came with value!

Yes, if they re-made it it would be AMAZING. But I still stand by what I said when i say nothing beats the originals, but still, that would be awesome x10000.

The plot's weren't as serious and you didn't feel as threatened (I don't know about anyone else but the anticipation when climbing Mt. Malefor and flying up to his lair had my heart pounding, though I won't deny, entering Gnasty Gnorc's boss level was pretty scary as a little kid.) It was just so fun and if they could even create a new one that took place directly after The Year Of The Dragon would be even better, bring back some of the old characters and bring back portals and gem values! smilie
---
spyro and sonic Diamond Sparx Gems: 8298
#4 Posted: 01:37:25 22/06/2012
I honestly do not miss the old style Spyro. Even if I did I would just reply them so as to get the feeling. But there is not much for me to miss considering I only played 1 older game(RR).

The original Spyro game style is not really the kind of game I can have fun playing. I don't like the platforming style or having all this stuff you have to collect to finish a game 100%. That sort of game bores me quite quickly and I usually cannot be entertained enough to play for more than an hour at a time. That is probably why I only played 1 of them in the first place though I did eventually get 100%.

I prefer games with more action and RPG's. Classic Spyro doesn't feel like either of those to me. However this taste in games is what has made me really, really like TLoS. I probably would have forgotten about Spyro had LoS not happened.

Essentially classic Spyro just does not fit my taste in games and I never played it much. I don't miss it because I never
really liked it in the first place.

tl:dr- I don't miss classic Spyro because I never originally liked it in the past.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:55:55 22/06/2012 by spyro and sonic
#5 Posted: 01:51:55 22/06/2012 | Topic Creator
That's good though! Everyone has their own taste, and I think it's cool that the people who've engineered the Spyro games have changed it as it's gone down (along with a lot of uproar and disapproval from Spyro fans) but me personally, who has played every single Spyro game with a passion since when it literally first came out, am quite glad that they've given such a variety of genres.

But I can agree with where you're coming from, for sure. smilie
---
IAmSpyro123 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3353
#6 Posted: 03:08:56 22/06/2012
Quote: MagicCrafters
I know that some people have heard rumours about the re-construction of these older games. But even if they did decide to make this decision, who else agrees that even the old graphics and incredibly old manufactured levels will always be the best! Who else agrees? What do you guys miss about the old Spyro's? smilie

For some reason, I love the old crappy graphics so much.
#7 Posted: 03:15:14 22/06/2012 | Topic Creator
Aaaargh! Same! I don't know why, but they're just so fun and simple, but even that being so, I can't imagine them any other way!
---
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#8 Posted: 03:59:12 22/06/2012
Aaaargh! Same! I don't know why, but they're just so fun and simple, but even that being so, I can't imagine them any other way!

SAME HERE, now we are three guys that loves the simple, basic graphics. Also I love TLoS Series too because the storyline it's awesome, in other words I love all Spyro games in different ways. Classics = Gameplay, Awesome soundtracks, Funny characters and Simple graphics. TLoS = A wonderful Storyline, Great Soundtracks and the beautiful and detailed graphics. It will a wish come true if there are going to realise a new Spyro game =)
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
#9 Posted: 04:24:35 22/06/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: SamXala
SAME HERE, now we are three guys that loves the simple, basic graphics. Also I love TLoS Series too because the storyline it's awesome, in other words I love all Spyro games in different ways. Classics = Gameplay, Awesome soundtracks, Funny characters and Simple graphics. TLoS = A wonderful Storyline, Great Soundtracks and the beautiful and detailed graphics. It will a wish come true if there are going to realise a new Spyro game =)

Someone who agrees with me! I love every single Spyro game that they've released, and each and every one of them has their own amazing qualities and soundtracks and graphics etc etc. Spyro was just such a good idea!
---
IAmSpyro123 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3353
#10 Posted: 09:45:21 22/06/2012
Someone who agrees with me! I love every single Spyro game that they've released, and each and every one of them has their own amazing qualities and soundtracks and graphics etc etc. Spyro was just such a good idea!

Spyro was a great idea! One of the most beautiful video game series ever made. Kind of like Legend of Zelda.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:50:18 22/06/2012 by IAmSpyro123
#11 Posted: 10:43:14 22/06/2012 | Topic Creator
I agree with you there!
---
Wojowu Yellow Sparx Gems: 1415
#12 Posted: 16:08:15 22/06/2012
I'd also like if they make another old-school Spyro game. I miss time when Insomniac developed Spyro. What Check Six and Eurocom isn't as bad, but Krome Studios completely destroyed it. I don't even mention Activision... But as I often say, it could be worse
---
Any Osu fan here?
#13 Posted: 19:15:53 22/06/2012
faun loves the old ps1 graphics, too. :) of course, graphics never mattered that much to faun, and stuff on the nes doesn't look all that different to the newest stuff on the ps3 to these eyes. creativity and interesting solutions to hardware limitations counts more than blocky polygons (though faun will admit that the footage from "the last of us" at e3 was impressive and is relieved that the graphics war is, one hopes, finally over; now they just need to work on that uncanny valley business a bit...)

in terms of stories, faun has always preferred the insomniac ones, though skylanders is comparable. a simple story with a lot of heart is often the best kind. legend has some good points, but the story is absolutely not one of them (at least not when you read as much generic fantasy as faun has :D). for what it's worth, though, faun preferred krome's work on that trilogy to el's. the krome team seemed to care at least a little bit about the characters and it shows, especially when compared with el's game that is full of more holes than swiss cheese and takes already bland characters and manages to make them even more two-dimensional.

whoops. sometimes faun gets a little ranty about stories. it can't always be helped. :D
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8506
#14 Posted: 19:38:34 22/06/2012
faun, may I ask, why do you talk in third person?
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
#15 Posted: 19:56:07 22/06/2012
hee, this is the most-asked question faun gets. :) it is a way to think before faun speaks, to be polite when one would not otherwise be so, and a very good way to practice a unique style of writing.
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8506
#16 Posted: 19:58:15 22/06/2012
OH OK.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3251
#17 Posted: 22:13:06 22/06/2012
Yes, Id love them to make more original games
#18 Posted: 22:42:54 22/06/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote:
I'd also like if they make another old-school Spyro game. I miss time when Insomniac developed Spyro. What Check Six and Eurocom isn't as bad, but Krome Studios completely destroyed it. I don't even mention Activision... But as I often say, it could be worse

I guess no one will know until they officially announce something about it!?
---
Project_Unnamed Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10125
#19 Posted: 23:31:43 22/06/2012
Quote: Wojowu

Well, considering that the Krome studios had the ability to make new Spyro game superb platformer (Ty the Tasmanian Tiger games are mind-blowing and very well done) the Krome did not destroy it. Actually Krome had all the potential but they had to follow Sierra's ways of rebuilding Spyro's image. It was a thad created by God of War's astronomical success that the Spyro and many other games were given somehow serious traditional storylines and hack'n'slash-type of gameplay. It was the failure to compete (promoting and financial "backbone") in overcrowded (is that even a word?) markets that led to Spyro's doom on that particular way - not one single studio for sure. Even tough Krome didn't had anything great to offer than Ty and TLoS 1-2.

And to the topic. I personally miss Old School Spyros. Even if I like to smash TLoS's like any other all-around Spyro follower, there is still something special about this little every-day-hero with all his friends in Dragon Realms and Avalar that makes me and many other Spyro gamers go nuts and replay them over and over again. The music, the story structure, the levels, collectibles.. aah... sweet nostalgia. I wouldn't mind if they are created again for high-tech consoles with improved graphics (tough, nostalgia value is in the graphics aswell) and extended levels. That would be... something that cannot be described in words.

But would it be rational? Of course it would be amazing thrill to have that same experience that used to warm our hearts hours and hours over a decade (decades, I hope smilie) But, the classical platformers are not that marketable anymore. Of course Mario Bros sells without a doubt... but that's because they are Mario games. Mario has this phenomenon, unbelievable market manipulation, that has held gaming society in its vicegrip since the day one. But does Spyro has this? I think... no. Spyro is without a boubt, IMO, the greatest platformer ever in this universe. But it never came the leading platformer of its age. It was Crash that was the PS's Mario and Spyro was the runner-up. Surely great one but never the most charismatic one to the masses. Let's face it... champions sell, runner-ups don't. Sad fact... but its the way it goes (and Crash cannot be thought as the champion: nowadays Mariomania is still running wild).

Okay... this went far beyond off-topic but there were some opinions that can be set under question and argument. But of course I think that everyone who has played classic Spyros misses them. It is nostalgia and the connection to innocent childhood or just more laid-back times that make us play them again and again. Playing the classic series in every vacation is always the pinnacle of my year smilie. But for the sake that they are re-creating or making even a new classic Spyro game, I hope that they would take everything off of this Skylander's phenomenon and use financial, promotional and word-of-mouth success they have and create new rebooted, innovating, and independent Spyro series which's success leads to updated releases of classic series so we could all enjoy them once more. Hope lives on.
---
I might give you more opinions... for a small fee of course.
#20 Posted: 23:55:10 22/06/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Project_Unnamed
Well, considering that the Krome studios had the ability to make new Spyro game superb platformer (Ty the Tasmanian Tiger games are mind-blowing and very well done) the Krome did not destroy it. Actually Krome had all the potential but they had to follow Sierra's ways of rebuilding Spyro's image. It was a thad created by God of War's astronomical success that the Spyro and many other games were given somehow serious traditional storylines and hack'n'slash-type of gameplay. It was the failure to compete (promoting and financial "backbone") in overcrowded (is that even a word?) markets that led to Spyro's doom on that particular way - not one single studio for sure. Even tough Krome didn't had anything great to offer than Ty and TLoS 1-2.

And to the topic. I personally miss Old School Spyros. Even if I like to smash TLoS's like any other all-around Spyro follower, there is still something special about this little every-day-hero with all his friends in Dragon Realms and Avalar that makes me and many other Spyro gamers go nuts and replay them over and over again. The music, the story structure, the levels, collectibles.. aah... sweet nostalgia. I wouldn't mind if they are created again for high-tech consoles with improved graphics (tough, nostalgia value is in the graphics aswell) and extended levels. That would be... something that cannot be described in words.

But would it be rational? Of course it would be amazing thrill to have that same experience that used to warm our hearts hours and hours over a decade (decades, I hope ) But, the classical platformers are not that marketable anymore. Of course Mario Bros sells without a doubt... but that's because they are Mario games. Mario has this phenomenon, unbelievable market manipulation, that has held gaming society in its vicegrip since the day one. But does Spyro has this? I think... no. Spyro is without a boubt, IMO, the greatest platformer ever in this universe. But it never came the leading platformer of its age. It was Crash that was the PS's Mario and Spyro was the runner-up. Surely great one but never the most charismatic one to the masses. Let's face it... champions sell, runner-ups don't. Sad fact... but its the way it goes (and Crash cannot be thought as the champion: nowadays Mariomania is still running wild).

Okay... this went far beyond off-topic but there were some opinions that can be set under question and argument. But of course I think that everyone who has played classic Spyros misses them. It is nostalgia and the connection to innocent childhood or just more laid-back times that make us play them again and again. Playing the classic series in every vacation is always the pinnacle of my year . But for the sake that they are re-creating or making even a new classic Spyro game, I hope that they would take everything off of this Skylander's phenomenon and use financial, promotional and word-of-mouth success they have and create new rebooted, innovating, and independent Spyro series which's success leads to updated releases of classic series so we could all enjoy them once more. Hope lives on.

Everything that you said is everything I would have wanted to say, if my morning brain was working properly.

I totally agree with you totally, everything you said. I won't go into detail with what made sense, because everything you said did, but all I have to say is that I agree with what you said, and I'm off to play Year of the Dragon now because what you have said put me in a Spyro mood smilie
---
#21 Posted: 01:24:55 23/06/2012
^ Wow, Just one more thing: The Classics never die, Spyro The Dragon FOREVER!!!

PD: Damn Activision, DO SOMETHING!!!! >.<
---
#22 Posted: 02:52:19 23/06/2012 | Topic Creator
I agree with you SamXala! Even the GBA games are amazing! smilie
---
Atchient8 Ripto Gems: 27
#23 Posted: 16:48:07 23/06/2012
I just wonder why games are all kinds of suck now, when low poly games rocked.
Wojowu Yellow Sparx Gems: 1415
#24 Posted: 18:47:33 23/06/2012
^ The law of old games: larger pixels and polygons -> better game. That's why people love Minecraft smilie
---
Any Osu fan here?
#25 Posted: 23:20:38 23/06/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Wojowu
^ The law of old games: larger pixels and polygons -> better game. That's why people love Minecraft

I never thought about that!? Yet it makes so much sense!
---
AJAwesome Platinum Sparx Gems: 6271
#26 Posted: 23:29:02 23/06/2012
^LOL smilie I totally miss those old graphics.
---
I'm a girl. My name is Reese. :3
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#27 Posted: 23:30:46 23/06/2012
I love old graphics, new ones are cool too but I find older, pixel ones better than round, shiny, balloon characters made out of circles/ovals
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:31:01 23/06/2012 by LevanJess
SpyraArtisan Blue Sparx Gems: 609
#28 Posted: 02:32:20 24/06/2012
I love the classics. They're how I got my start on Spyro, and I've loved him since I was 5! Classic Spyro is forever my love. <3
#29 Posted: 02:52:11 24/06/2012 | Topic Creator
Me too! I'm writing Spyro fanfic at the moment of TLoS series combined with the originals. Based in Gateway to Glimmers version of Avalar, but I'm including characters like Cynder and the Guardians smilie
---
ilovespyro11 Gnorc Gems: 334
#30 Posted: 16:44:11 24/06/2012
I totally agree, Spyro 2 was the light of my childhood, and now 1 2 and 3 are the soul of my teenage years...I LOVE U OLD SPYRO!!!!!!!
#31 Posted: 20:03:01 24/06/2012 | Topic Creator
THIS GUY KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALK ABOUT^ smilie
---
#32 Posted: 20:15:12 24/06/2012
^Talking, not talk.
#33 Posted: 22:14:19 24/06/2012
WE Want the old Spyro, RETURN TO US!!! >.<
---
#34 Posted: 22:17:10 24/06/2012
^not all of us.............
#35 Posted: 04:36:54 25/06/2012 | Topic Creator
Excuse my bad grammar! Haha. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, me personally love the old Spyro games smilie
---
#36 Posted: 14:04:50 25/06/2012
Quote: spyro and sonic
^not all of us.............

Mmm... Alright I didn't say "All", I Said "We"and "We" doesn't mean "All", I Mean, I Just say that because "we" (Not all of us) have something in Common <.< .....
---
#37 Posted: 20:29:50 26/06/2012 | Topic Creator
Who was your guys favourite characters? Mine was always Spyro, but I wish they brought Elora into the Year of the Dragon plot.
---
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9212
#38 Posted: 20:49:44 26/06/2012
Who was your guys favourite characters? Mine was always Spyro, but I wish they brought Elora into the Year of the Dragon plot.

Obviously Spyro, he's an epic fire-breathing purple little dragon!
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
#39 Posted: 04:12:14 27/06/2012 | Topic Creator
Of course he is! Who wouldn't love their own living Spyro
---
ilovespyro11 Gnorc Gems: 334
#40 Posted: 15:23:11 27/06/2012
I'm a girl smilie
#41 Posted: 21:36:03 27/06/2012 | Topic Creator
Uh, okay? But I reckon they should have included the old characters in the Legend Of Spyro series, even though people didn't like Hunter, but it would have made it better in a way, cause we saw another dimension of them.
---
#42 Posted: 11:05:12 28/06/2012

Spyro's too good that's why.
---
Mariofanstar Blue Sparx Gems: 500
#43 Posted: 20:46:31 28/06/2012
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

Spyro's too good that's why.

I'm still bummed that I never got a plush toy of him. smilie
---
I'm officially leaving at 9:00pm.
#44 Posted: 22:14:06 28/06/2012
Quote: Sesshomaru75
I miss the old Spyro. I still like Legend Spyro and I am interested in Skylanders even though it's not part of the Spyro series, but I would really like them to make a Spyro game that is more like the older games in terms of gameplay, collecting, etc. In my opinion, they will return to the old Spyro one day. But right now, Spyro is in a deep sleep and he is just waiting to be reawakened in his own adventure once more. I like being positive. lol

That's good that you're positive, I hope that Spyro gets a re-awakening by getting a remake at least, but then again, so far, remakes have only been done from PS2 games, not PS1 games.
---
#45 Posted: 02:20:41 29/06/2012 | Topic Creator
I just hope Spyro doesn't go downhill or anything, like, if they make an original, they better include gems and portals.
---
#46 Posted: 07:39:54 30/06/2012
MediEvil was a PS1 game and it got a remake for the PSP.

Why didn't Sony port it to the PS2? Bloody Goonros.

Actually, the PS3 wasn't out when MediEvil got a remake. It was in 2005 when it came to the PSP. So I don't really count that one.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:40:48 30/06/2012 by SuperSpyroFan
#47 Posted: 19:50:04 30/06/2012
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
MediEvil was a PS1 game and it got a remake for the PSP.

Why didn't Sony port it to the PS2? Bloody Goonros.

Actually, the PS3 wasn't out when MediEvil got a remake. It was in 2005 when it came to the PSP. So I don't really count that one.

oooohhhh I Miss MediEvil so Much >.<
---
#48 Posted: 20:34:28 30/06/2012 | Topic Creator
I just love PS1 games in general. Wouldn't it be cool if they re-released all of the popular PS1 games platformed for all the other consoles, but nothing in the actual game had changed?
---
Page 1 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me