Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Previous | Page 3 of 3
1 2 3
Super Legendary Cynder [CLOSED]
OpalOsprey Yellow Sparx Gems: 1127
#101 Posted: 03:42:24 13/04/2012
^ It would be cool if you did a Stealth elf, Sonic Boom and maybe a Dino-rang or Chop Chop. A Sunburn would be awesome because I also don't care for the way they painted him but too bad he's in an Adventure pack so it will cost extra.
---
Have a Wii U? My ID and Mii name is OpalOsprey. So why don't you add Mii smilie?

"You don't need a reason to help people" ~ Zidane -Final Fantays IX
StormbringerGT Green Sparx Gems: 162
#102 Posted: 03:53:24 13/04/2012 | Topic Creator
I REALLY want to do Camo and Warnado honestly. but I don't own one, let alone two to paint lol.

Honestly I really like the detail work on Dino-Rang hes next on my list. I have no idea what colors, but man hes got a lot of detail work to work with!
---
I'm currently: Awaiting Dragon's Dogma and listening to Old Linkin park. Bite me, their old stuff is better than their new stuff. smilie
#103 Posted: 18:44:07 13/04/2012 | Topic Creator
And Cynder is done! Been so for two days now but I couldn't find time to take and post pictures. Here she is.

She has stained details and dry brushed scales and other raised details (such as the wings as well) Her eyes have a high glass finish so they are more reflective. She has thin black outlines separating her features. She has a "stock" base so she fits in with the rest of the crew. Her gloss has a snake skin finish to it as well.

Although in the pictures you can see none of that. But I did try! I might make a video maybe that will help show the detail.

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]
---
I'm currently: Awaiting Dragon's Dogma and listening to Old Linkin park. Bite me, their old stuff is better than their new stuff. smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:45:31 13/04/2012 by StormbringerGT
Deandria Green Sparx Gems: 304
#104 Posted: 18:54:50 13/04/2012
That is a thing of beauty!
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Really Want: smilie smilie
#105 Posted: 19:04:35 13/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Thank you very much. I definitely want to do more now!
---
sykotek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1262
#106 Posted: 19:05:49 13/04/2012
My favorite thing about it is the eyes. It is unfortunate that they look a bit grainy in some of the pics though, but good work! It looks nicely done!
---
Volcanic Vault World Tour is temporarily on hold...waiting on dwattzdrummer
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#107 Posted: 19:06:51 13/04/2012
Shut up and take my gems!

But seriously, that's a really great job on it. Are you gonna post the others here when you're done?
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
#108 Posted: 19:13:33 13/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Yeah my camera does not like to do close ups. So things got blurry, the eyes included sadly. smilie

Also yeah Everyone I do I will post up here. Probably not work in progress though so I don't flood the sites with pictures lol.
---
palmo Green Sparx Gems: 380
#109 Posted: 23:42:45 13/04/2012
OMG that is the most GREATEST and EPICIST and EXTRAORDINARY no wait it is the most EXTRAORDINARALY GREATEST OF THE EPICEST jobs I have ever seen!!!!!!
great work storm!

you sellen it? or keepin it?
---
Skylander contest here:
palmo's contest
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:43:52 13/04/2012 by palmo
#110 Posted: 00:20:59 14/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Thanks! I'm probably gonna sell it or something. I tend not to keep what I make.
---
#111 Posted: 00:43:03 14/04/2012
Thats funny because I get to attached to stuff I build paint, make or have.
---
Skylander contest here:
palmo's contest
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:44:15 14/04/2012 by palmo
#112 Posted: 03:14:59 14/04/2012
Very nice job Storm, It turned out great =)!

I'm sorry to bother you with another question but I was wondering if a flat black acrylic paint would make a good base paint instead of a primer? The primer that I have is a spray can of gray enamel but I'm not sure if I can spray it on evenly due to Whirlwind having so many tight spaces like between her tail, legs, and wings. What would you recommend? Thanks =)!
---
Have a Wii U? My ID and Mii name is OpalOsprey. So why don't you add Mii smilie?

xerokills Yellow Sparx Gems: 1181
#113 Posted: 03:24:45 14/04/2012
personally, I'd still spray it on...just take light passes at it...don't spray it on too thick or yeah...can't come back from it...experiment...I didn't prime mine first.
---
"I'm disgusted, and repulsed, and...I can't look away..."
#114 Posted: 05:19:36 14/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Yup!

Technically all primer is, is a base for paint to stick to and a shader. Depending on what color primer you use sets the tone for the whole figure. Black makes things darker etc.

Spray paint is super easy to use, and yes two light coats are always better than one heavy. Remember that when painting as well! You sure can primer him with a brush as well, as a matter of fact if your spray paint is an enamel like you said it wise I'd avoid it as a base coat personally I noticed that Acrylics don't stick to enamels too well.

Spraying is easier, and quicker, but painting on a primer works as well. You can combine the two and paint primer into the spots you cant paint.

When I spray I use a cardboard box with the top facing me. I stick the figure on a flat plate (its beyond ruined at this point. only useful for this job, I don't eat off it anymore lol) so I can turn her without handling her and leaving finger prints as I paint. Do that method and some angling you should be able to cover most of the figure.

Never turn the spray can upside down or at extreme angels, it messes with the compression and can mess up yout paint and make it sputter, try to keep you can as level as possible. Although tilting for quick blasts it alright, for like under belly's and chins and such.

Sorry I tend to prattle on. If you need any help just let me know!
---
#115 Posted: 06:04:20 14/04/2012
Thanks for the tips guys =). Is there such a thing as an acrylic primer spray can? I looked everywhere and all of them are enamel except for paint on ones in small glass bottles by the Testers/Model Masters company?
---

spyrothe111 Ripto Gems: 3702
#116 Posted: 13:35:58 14/04/2012
How Do You Wash Out And Repaint Skylander Toys?
Please Tell Me.

By The Way, Awesome Cynder! smilie
xerokills Yellow Sparx Gems: 1181
#117 Posted: 14:19:34 14/04/2012
Spyro...you can do 1 of 2 things. But a set of acrylic paints and just paint it white. You can also buy a can of spray primer and spray it a light color...primers typically come in grey, black and white...sometimes red. Also you could buy a jar of gesso (think that's how it's spelled) which is essentially white paint. You just use water to thin the arcrylic paint or gesso down and paint the figure white. Then you paint them with acrylic colors. You can apply it as thin or thick as you want, but thin coats work best. Hope this helps. Read this whole thread for tips and tricks.
---
"I'm disgusted, and repulsed, and...I can't look away..."
Mr-McChicken22 Blue Sparx Gems: 629
#118 Posted: 14:21:50 14/04/2012
That looks Amazing!
Good job!!!!
JAP28 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1097
#119 Posted: 14:57:04 14/04/2012
Really really well done!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyone who has tried painting things like this knows it is not as easy as it looks!
Great Job!!!!!!!
---
All Current Skylanders just no pearl smilie
Rand O M Gold Sparx Gems: 2223
#120 Posted: 15:24:37 14/04/2012
Amazing. I tried to do I custom cynder but failed! Just got a sharpie and colored all the silver stuff black except for the spiked chains. Also did the same thing for Zook's bazooka.
#121 Posted: 18:40:34 14/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Thanks guys! smilie

Opalsprey
This is the brand I use for priming:
http://www.krylon.com/products/indooroutdoor_primer/
---
#122 Posted: 21:09:28 14/04/2012
Thanks for the link =)! I couldn't find out on the site if it's an acrylic or enamel. All that I really care about is if it dries smoothly and not tacky because the one that I have is very sticky when it dries. This should be the last question that I have to ask, sorry for throwing a lot of questions at you.
---

#123 Posted: 22:44:44 14/04/2012 | Topic Creator
It dries very smoothly similar to brush painted Acrylics.

Keep the questions coming if you have any. Its how I learned.

I got my can at Michaels btw.
---
#124 Posted: 09:05:31 17/04/2012
you should do another topic on all your custom painted stiff (not just skylanders) it'd look great.
---
Skylander contest here:
palmo's contest
First | Previous | Page 3 of 3
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me