Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3
Super Legendary Cynder [CLOSED]
alexandros2011 Green Sparx Gems: 441
#51 Posted: 19:16:18 08/04/2012
wow i love the colors you used on the cynder....looks amazing...great work !!!
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie on PS3
need smiliesmilie
StormbringerGT Green Sparx Gems: 162
#52 Posted: 20:24:44 08/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Thanks for the comments guys. I'll probably finish her off late today or early tomorrow. I really like the way she's turning out.

The base was covered in tape then ended up black when I spray primed the figure.
---
I'm currently: Awaiting Dragon's Dogma and listening to Old Linkin park. Bite me, their old stuff is better than their new stuff. smilie
Deandria Green Sparx Gems: 304
#53 Posted: 20:34:25 08/04/2012
I don't know if you've seen but Sky from PortalMasters.net has put up an article about your custom Cynder smilie
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Really Want: smilie smilie
#54 Posted: 20:38:50 08/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Deandria
I don't know if you've seen but Sky from PortalMasters.net has put up an article about your custom Cynder smilie

Yeah I saw. That's really cool actually. I'm not quite sure what to do with this guy when I'm done. Oddly I generally don't keep stuff I've made lol.

I made almost a whole set of Clay Pokemon back in 2000 and ending up giving them away!
---
I'm currently: Awaiting Dragon's Dogma and listening to Old Linkin park. Bite me, their old stuff is better than their new stuff. smilie
t7gga Yellow Sparx Gems: 1726
#55 Posted: 20:47:40 08/04/2012

but they should have waited until it was finished. the article implies that the first stage photos are the finished item.
#56 Posted: 20:59:15 08/04/2012
Quote: t7gga

but they should have waited until it was finished. the article implies that the first stage photos are the finished item.

I assume Sky thought they were finished.
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
t7gga Yellow Sparx Gems: 1726
#57 Posted: 21:02:39 08/04/2012
i was always told never assume anything as it makes an "ass OF u AND me" when you do smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:03:38 08/04/2012 by t7gga
#58 Posted: 21:54:57 08/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Hilarious! My mom used to tell me that growing up! smilie
---
OpalOsprey Yellow Sparx Gems: 1127
#59 Posted: 22:15:19 08/04/2012
^ Haha! My mom also told me that growing up.
---
Have a Wii U? My ID and Mii name is OpalOsprey. So why don't you add Mii smilie?

"You don't need a reason to help people" ~ Zidane -Final Fantays IX
#60 Posted: 15:29:59 09/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Should have finished photos up tonight. smilie
---
#61 Posted: 20:25:16 09/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Okay trying to figure out what kind of protective finish to use on it. I don't want matte, as that is too flat. However the shiner her coat, the more "plastic" she appears.

I've noticed looking at skylanders that they all have different shineness on them. For example Boomers skin isn't all that shiney, same with Cynder and Sunburn.

But if you look at the Legendary guys and Drill Sergeant they are much shiner do to their finish. As a matter of fact non of them are very matte. They all have at least have a "plastic" shine to them.

I'm testing a "low shine" sealer on a custom Littlest Pet Shop I painted for my girlfriend. We will see how it turns out. (I needed to seal the poor guy anyway)
---
xerokills Yellow Sparx Gems: 1181
#62 Posted: 20:36:40 09/04/2012
Storm,
They make a spray that people use to cover their drawings with. I forget what it's called, but it's used to prevent pencil from smearing. If I remember correctly, it isn't 100% matte finish an it's somewhere in between. They also make semi gloss finish rattle can stuff. Go to your local art store and see what they have...
---
"I'm disgusted, and repulsed, and...I can't look away..."
#63 Posted: 20:41:51 09/04/2012 | Topic Creator
I have so many its not even funny, lol. I'm trying to figure out which one to use though. I think I'm going to use the one I used on the cat. Its shine is just enough to make it look like a regular plastic Skylander, but not the super shiny, Legendary ones.

EDIT

Here's what that coat looks like. The more I compare it next to actual Skylanders the more I like it. Its got that right amount of "default" shine to it. This may look a little shiner thanks to camera flash, but in person its very close.

[User Posted Image]
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:48:43 09/04/2012 by StormbringerGT
#64 Posted: 21:57:44 09/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Also I took this picture last night, and my camera didn't want to focus on something that close, but here is the detail I was able to achieve on Cynders Scales, I tested on her leg and part of her tail and it worked!

Hmm the picture is acting funny let me up load it differently. There we go, got it to work now:

[User Posted Image]
---
Edited 8 times - Last edited at 22:05:16 09/04/2012 by StormbringerGT
#65 Posted: 04:10:02 10/04/2012
Nice =)! If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to get the black paint within the groves of the scales, did you try a different wash method? Also do you know the name/type of the sealant that you used on that cat figure? I like how it's not very shiny/glossy? Thanks a lot, sorry for asking so many questions, it's my first time repainting.
---
Have a Wii U? My ID and Mii name is OpalOsprey. So why don't you add Mii smilie?

#66 Posted: 04:33:20 10/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: OpalOsprey
Nice =)! If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to get the black paint within the groves of the scales, did you try a different wash method? Also do you know the name/type of the sealant that you used on that cat figure? I like how it's not very shiny/glossy? Thanks a lot, sorry for asking so many questions, it's my first time repainting.

No problem, I still use google and ask questions. I'm actually not that great at painting, but I am passable!

I tried a very runny wash at first as typical for miniatures, but her scales didn't have much depth and it would run off pretty quickly.

So I tried a thicker stain. Mind you its still watery but not as much as usual. I hand made this stain, by mixing the colors I wanted (in this case Uniform Blue and Black) to get it dark, then added water till it was the thickness I wanted.

I applied the wash, which worked like a charm; it sank, and stayed, right in between her scales. However it being less watery it also made her top layer of scales darker. So I also dry brushed those scales with the original color I used for her body to restore the color I wanted originally for the scale. The dry brush technique hits the edges or parts sticking up, which highlights, while washing adds depth.

As far as this particular sealer I used PLAID Clear Acrylic Sealer, Semi Matte. I have around 11 different sealers and I tried them all on various things I've painted. This one looks exactly how the toys look. I did two coats on the littlest petshop.

Make sure its an Acrylic sealer. Other sealers might damage acrylic paints. Acrylic paints are not hardy and are water based, which is why if you get it on your clothes or hand they wash off with soap and water, no paint thinner needed. Keep your coats light. Two light coats are better than 1 heavy runny coat.

For what you can't see,, her wings, I did Sun Orange then I stained with True Red and highlighted with Yellow. Mind you 90% of the intricacies will be lost when you take a photo of it. You will have to see it in person to fully enjoy it. For example. All the work I did on those scales, at a casual glance or at any sort of distance you don't notice. But if you pick it up and look at it and turn it you see it. I did it mainly for myself, and in my finished photo I doubt you guys will notice it. smilie
---
#67 Posted: 04:56:23 10/04/2012
^ Thanks for the info, it will help me a lot when I start on my figure. I must say again, I really like how yours turned out and hopefully I'll like mine (probably not though).
---

Rand O M Gold Sparx Gems: 2223
#68 Posted: 05:03:45 10/04/2012
I really like it. I would prefer it than the other cynder. I like cynder but I feel activison didn't put time into actually making her look good figure wise.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:19:42 10/04/2012 by Rand O M
#69 Posted: 05:15:43 10/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Here's the finished state minus the finish. I might also do outlines as well, but that might make her look too cartoony. Outlines being, sort of how when you draw or pen something, everything has aline around it. When you paint her, like you paint the bracelet right up to where it meets her skin. With outlines, I would add a line dark line between the bracelet and the skin. Also I apologize for the crap lighting. Its night here and this is just room lighting. Flash just makes her white. So tomorrow, shes dryed over night from sealer, Ill take a picture in better lighting. smilie

Anyway, you get see the details I did with the wings and scales. Ah well. Opinions on outlining though?

[User Posted Image]

Sorry this one is a bit blurry
[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

Edit also sorry if they appear huge, I resized them before I uploaded them but it takes a minute before they resize or something; I have no idea.
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 05:28:28 10/04/2012 by StormbringerGT
#70 Posted: 06:11:01 10/04/2012
Looks darn good to me! I assume you'll peel off the base...that'll cap it off. Your scales technique makes me want to do a silver wash on black dragon...maybe I need to buy a new dragon set to repaint. Or I just go buy some warhammer figures to paint...or something....lol

NICE WORK!
---
#71 Posted: 07:04:47 10/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: xerokills
Looks darn good to me! I assume you'll peel off the base...that'll cap it off. Your scales technique makes me want to do a silver wash on black dragon...maybe I need to buy a new dragon set to repaint. Or I just go buy some warhammer figures to paint...or something....lol

NICE WORK!

Too bad distance is so far. Painting is best when done with a buddy! smilie

And yes, I'll peel the base after I seal it.

Silver drybrush, or wash would look good on your Dark Cyn!
---
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#72 Posted: 10:06:55 10/04/2012
rare as hen teeth.... just saying.
reventon777 Green Sparx Gems: 258
#73 Posted: 17:36:43 10/04/2012
Quote: StormbringerGT
Which is funny because I'm only like that for some things. Video Games, I'm a completionist. Lego collection. Lets not bring up how much money I spend on those a year...

I managed to kick my Lego habit in my late teens/early twenties... I had a real soft spot for the Harry Potter Lego... and before that it was the pirate ones and the ones with knights and dragons that I can't remember the name of... I had the odd set from a number of different themes too.

This last Christmas I got Lego Harry Potter: Years 5 - 7 for PS3 and it came with a mini Lego set:

[User Posted Image]

And I was embarrassingly excited about it lol

^ Same here. smilie
---
Own:smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Join my mates Minecraft server! 85.236.100.180:26065!
#74 Posted: 21:32:09 10/04/2012
Wow Stormbringer, she's really looking great! I can't wait to see her in daylight.

Oh and Reventon, you're still young enough that being excited about Lego isn't so embarrassing. Well maybe some of your friends might think it's a little dumb... but they're wrong smilie I know I shouldn't be embarrassed about being a 28 year old woman who wants to buy Lego... but I am...

I'm seriously looking forward to when my daughter is big enough for Duplo... and later Lego. It will be great to have an excuse to play with Lego again lol
---
palmo Green Sparx Gems: 380
#75 Posted: 21:48:00 10/04/2012
OMG I'd buy that over that and want it more than the origanal cynder.

Crazy way to go with all that following techniques for me but I think its baid off.
Job well done.
---
Skylander contest here:
palmo's contest
ToxicFate Yellow Sparx Gems: 1137
#76 Posted: 21:54:30 10/04/2012
Wow you did an absolutely incredible paint job. It looks like it came straight out of the factory like that.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:55:04 10/04/2012 by ToxicFate
#77 Posted: 23:25:40 10/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Sorry still wont get a daylight picture up today. I'll see about getting some light though!

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Makes me want to do more and get better at it!
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:26:02 10/04/2012 by StormbringerGT
#78 Posted: 01:33:53 11/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Totally not Cynder but Ill toss this up for Pokemon fans. Some of my earliest work. lol. Brings back fond memories.
I made clay guys and hand painted them like, 15 years ago when the first games came out! I gave most of them away I still got some though.

These guys here are largely unfinished, which is the only reason I still have them. I had to dig them out of an old show box. They are dusty, and have paint chipped and pieces missing. Poor guys. I made Chikorita only like 10 or so years ago. So hes newer! smilie

[User Posted Image]

I miss doing these, I did almost all 150, had cool guys like Mewtwo and such. I made them because I wanted to have them all side by side in scale size since they didn't have toys at the time that did them in scale size to each other.. As the years went on I gave them out for gifts and what not.
---
ToxicFate Yellow Sparx Gems: 1137
#79 Posted: 02:09:15 11/04/2012
OMG I want that Vaporeon! Eevee was always one of my favorite Pokemon.
L-Sunburn Yellow Sparx Gems: 1739
#80 Posted: 02:10:51 11/04/2012
Poliwhirl looks really awesome
---
Favorties smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
#81 Posted: 03:03:55 11/04/2012
That Bulbasaur is fantastic, you did a great job on all of them but I have to say that Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Vaporeon, and Poliwag are my favs.
---

#82 Posted: 03:16:41 11/04/2012 | Topic Creator
That Bulbasaur is fantastic, you did a great job on all of them but I have to say that Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Vaporeon, and Poliwag are my favs.

Thanks, those guys are the ones closest to done!
---
Milne44 Green Sparx Gems: 108
#83 Posted: 01:22:46 12/04/2012
storm, if i'm doing a custom skylander, should I use acrylic water based paints?
---
Have: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Want: smilie
Thx nitendofan92 for Warnado avatar!
SDMajorTom Green Sparx Gems: 224
#84 Posted: 01:58:16 12/04/2012
awesome stuff stormbringer
#85 Posted: 05:21:45 12/04/2012
To Milne44:

Here are the paints that Storm used:

I'm using a mix of paints. I have a couple hundred bottles lol. Half of it is paint from Citadel which are used to paint Warhammer minis mostly. The other half are good old fashioned Acrylic paints from Michaels, Joanne Fabrics, Hobby Lobby etc.

I'm purchasing acrylic paints for my figure that I'm going to repaint. Acrylic paint is the best to use because it dries fast, isn't tacky when it dries, and is water soluble. I would also recommend that you use an acrylic primer instead of an enamel one. Go light on all of your coats, especially if the detail work and engraving on the figure isn't very deep.
---

Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:24:45 12/04/2012 by OpalOsprey
#86 Posted: 06:56:26 12/04/2012 | Topic Creator
To Milne44:

Here are the paints that Storm used:

I'm using a mix of paints. I have a couple hundred bottles lol. Half of it is paint from Citadel which are used to paint Warhammer minis mostly. The other half are good old fashioned Acrylic paints from Michaels, Joanne Fabrics, Hobby Lobby etc.

I'm purchasing acrylic paints for my figure that I'm going to repaint. Acrylic paint is the best to use because it dries fast, isn't tacky when it dries, and is water soluble. I would also recommend that you use an acrylic primer instead of an enamel one. Go light on all of your coats, especially if the detail work and engraving on the figure isn't very deep.

Exactly as he said it! Very good tips!
---
#87 Posted: 15:14:28 12/04/2012
^she said smilie see Opal...people think you're a guy! lol
---
#88 Posted: 18:04:22 12/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: xerokills
^she said smilie see Opal...people think you're a guy! lol

To me on the internet sex doesn't really matter, I simply refer to everyone as he since I am a he, until I figure out otherwise. smilie
---
#89 Posted: 19:29:09 12/04/2012
I'm a she and everyone is he to me too... it's one of those things... unless otherwise stated everyone is a male american aged 15-21... it's just how it goes... it's not sexist, ageist or um... whatever the name for prejudiced against someone based on nationality is... it's just... dunno... how people think
---
#90 Posted: 19:38:48 12/04/2012
The joke goes like this. Opal and I live in the same city. I ran into her at TRU here and when I met her, I thought she was gonna be a guy. And it was amusing she wasn't...obviously. So the joke was on me as I made an ass of myself. I think I obviously come off as a male....and I am, but she definitely threw me for a loop as she thinks a lot along the lines of a guy I'd hang out with gaming. It's kinda rare to meet people that are similar to me in my tastes. Refreshing to know the cool kind of girls out there exist. Speaking of cool girls, if you don't know who Felicia Day is, you should go check out her show the Guild and her other stuff on her youtube channel Geek and Sundry. She's what every guy's dream gamer girl is. I'm all for girls in gaming. And I'll happily let them whoop my butt in any game. smilie
---
#91 Posted: 19:45:26 12/04/2012
I'm the same way, gender doesn't matter on the internet and I usually think of almost everyone on the forum as a he. The funny thing is, sometimes I'll think of someone as a she if they have a female avatar picture and visa versa. At first, I thought that you were a girl Storm because of your previous avatar.

I don't mind if I'm referred to as a male as long as someone doesn't mistake me as one in person smilie! I've been called a sir over the phone multiple times though O.o.
---

#92 Posted: 19:52:51 12/04/2012
To Xero:

I didn't think that you made an a** out of yourself. A friend of mine told me to watch the Guild also so I guess that I should watch it when I have some free time this weekend. It's funny how my older brothers brag to me about how great they are at gaming and then if I play the game for the first time and beat them, they get pissed smilie

Edit: Whoops, sorry for the double post.
---

Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:53:26 12/04/2012 by OpalOsprey
#93 Posted: 20:10:32 12/04/2012
I have been beaten by girls in games. It's no fun. Especially when it's an FPS. I suck at FPS games. But I still have prestiged multiple times in MW3 and Black Ops. But I find myself going back to the mind numbing games that aren't stressful and full of testosterone. I do have the name xerokills for a reason. Because I typically suck. Original Halo...forget about it...I dominate. But all the new stuff...I don't have time to compete with those kids who play 10 hours a day. I also have made a ton of friends in World of Warcraft sadly. But I have since quit that. I will dabble in Aion and Lord of the Rings Online. Used to play a lot of Might and Magic, Diablo and Starcraft (I suck at it), Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age, Deus Ex, Skyrim. I guess I secretly am a wussy gamer. I just never realized it until now...shhhh...don't tell anyone. They have the Guild free online to watch. It's cool because they are 2-8 minute episodes. Netflix has all 5 seasons too. 1 Season is like watching a movie. It's a good show for sure. I really need to play some Skylanders this weekend for once. Oh...a sidenote Opal. I talked to the lady at TRU this morning. She said they don't have any new shipments today, but tomorrow's truck is coming, and she expects new stuff in that shipment and to come tomorrow. Not sure if it'll be anything great, but I am sure it's worth at least stopping by...hoping it's Dragon's Peak and maybe Camo and Warnado, or the Legendary 3 pack. I would gladly take any of those. smilie
---
#94 Posted: 22:12:12 12/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Yeah a lot of people get hung up on gender on the internet. They are usually single as well I noticed.

Anyway guys sorry, work and Walmart sniping has been kicking my ass. I'll get picture taken of Cynder tomorrow during sunlight hours. She came out pretty good in my opinion. Although after I seal her of course I see all the flaws but that's the way it works I guys.

I just primed Whirlwind. A girl who works at Gamestop with me, wanted a "Glittery" Version. So I'm going to see how that turns out.

I also have Griffin Colored Sonic Boom, and a "Dark" Whirlwind being painted at the same time. While paint drys on one I start work on the second. smilie
---
#95 Posted: 23:33:22 12/04/2012
^ I'm also doing a dark Whirlwind. I'm sorry it turns out looking similar to yours but yours will look far better than mine.
---

#96 Posted: 23:49:03 12/04/2012 | Topic Creator
^ I'm also doing a dark Whirlwind. I'm sorry it turns out looking similar to yours but yours will look far better than mine.

Psh I doubt it. Mine is a Dark and Blue/Purple Scheme with some glow in the dark paint in spots for good measure. It looks cool in my brain but is probably going to be a mess!

Can't wait to see yours though!
---
#97 Posted: 23:55:40 12/04/2012
^ Thanks, I can't wait to see yours also! I doubt that it will be a mess, your Cynder here turned out great so I'm sure that it will be just fine. I'm thinking of going with a black/very dark gray, red, and gray color scheme.
---

#98 Posted: 00:11:18 13/04/2012 | Topic Creator
^ Thanks, I can't wait to see yours also! I doubt that it will be a mess, your Cynder here turned out great so I'm sure that it will be just fine. I'm thinking of going with a black/very dark gray, red, and gray color scheme.

Red is very cool with black! Especially as a highlight. I wanted to do a Black/Grey with maybe a blue/Yellow to make her look like a storm in motion. I'm not sure my skills are up to snuff for that yet!
---
#99 Posted: 00:43:04 13/04/2012
^ Yeah, I'm going to use red as a highlight and maybe a light gray, also. That sounds pretty cool, are you going to try that "storm in motion" idea?
---

#100 Posted: 02:51:59 13/04/2012
dangit...I have no spare skylanders to paint. Guess I have a mission... Best Buy this weekend for my Volcanic Vault and a 3 pack, plus a single...hmmm...what 3 should I do a repaint on? I want to do a repaint of Stealth Elf...Whirlwind and maybe Drobot...or maybe Sonic Boom...I'd really like to repaint Sunburn as I think the color combo currently sucks.
---
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me