Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Fandom > I know this really has nothing to do with fandom...
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
I know this really has nothing to do with fandom... [CLOSED]
Leafex Yellow Sparx Gems: 1055
#51 Posted: 01:39:38 13/01/2012
It's especially odd considering that Malefor's darkness is present in Cynder, too, and Spyro and Ignitus were the ones to vouch for her innocence.
---
http://laurel-tree.deviantart.com/

As uncertain as things are, none of us can remain idle and watch our worst fears unfold before us.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#52 Posted: 20:55:27 13/01/2012
Quote: Leafex
Changing the canon to suit your fan characters is lazy and doesn't really help their likability.

Borrowing and changing aspects of real life is different than doing it to an existing story. People desire believable creations, and taking aspects from real life helps to accomplish this. Real life, unlike a story, has no underlying planning or purpose in its events. A story is planned with purposes in mind, and each aspect of the story happens because the author had a reason for it. They are two different pools to borrow from. A real life event may be turned into a story, but the event itself is not a story.

Besides, the comic does not just borrow aspects of the story, it changes the original story entirely. To do this successfully, the new author must have a good reasoning behind it. Doing it to fit in your personal fan character is not a good reason- it alienates fans of the original material, and they are the audience the new author is writing to, so naturally this is not a desirable result.

At what point did she say it was to suit her fan character?

With the logic you have there, governments couldn't exist. Governments are essentially storywriters, so to speak. They plan things, have a purpose for them, and carry these things out, effecting the lives of many.
Anything re-told is a story. And almost all events are re-told, and many are even unchanged.

I haven't personally read the comic, and don't plan to. But, as a general rule, I have nothing against changing the canon in fan fiction, as long as the writer's intention is not to stick to what was laid out officially. And the writer here didn't want to stick to it, obviously, so it's not a valid criticism.

I have no idea why you are reading fan fiction if you don't like OCs, or canon tampering. That's essentially the purpose of most fan fictions. For people to add their own spin to an existing story.

And to prove that the writer never intended to stick to what was already set in stone - Spyro and Cynder are adults here. It was never actually confirmed whether or not they lived at the end of DotD. Some think they lived, some think they died, and some even think they are in a limbo between life and death.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#53 Posted: 21:40:04 13/01/2012
-She doesn't have to say it for it to be true.

-Governments, like all people, exist and make changes from within their world. They are not the "authors" of real life. No such thing exists.

-Real life is not created for a purpose. It cannot be equated to a story.

-I have already stated I don't mind canon changes.

-I never said I don't like OCs. I have one myself, and he can exist with the canon intact. Many people write to expand the universe instead of changing it.

-Again, I don't mind putting your own spin on a story. Completely changing aspects to suit your fan character is just a bad way to write fanfiction, and the comic does this. Why is it bad? Because fans likely don't care about your fan character, they care about the established ones. The changes made to canon in fanfiction occur to put interesting spins on the existent characters that reader cares about. Fan characters are great expansion tools, but when their presence alters the events of the main story, it leaves a sense of pointlessness.
---

As uncertain as things are, none of us can remain idle and watch our worst fears unfold before us.
#54 Posted: 22:00:13 13/01/2012
Yes, she does. Unless she does, your statement is merely an assumption, and not an answer.

You know what I meant. Don't blow it out of proportion. I am just saying that purpose and planning is existant in real-life events, just like a story.

Many people write to expand it. But many others write to change it. I myself wrote a fan fiction that was a direct re-writing of a scene in DotD.

Quote:
Because fans likely don't care about your fan character, they care about the established ones. The changes made to canon in fanfiction occur to put interesting spins on the existent characters that reader cares about. Fan characters are great expansion tools, but when their presence alters the events of the main story, it leaves a sense of pointlessness.

That is a really shallow assumption and undermining of a lot of people, both creators and fans.
There are a lot of people who read fan fictions to discover what kind of new things can be incorporated into their favourite tale. OCs are one such new thing.

To say that most people read fan fictions only for the existing characters, and that OCs shouldn't be incorporated, is contradictory. Remember, Spyro was once brand new. Spyro was once an OC. And like how Shalone has the LoS universe and "laws" as her template, which she tampered to her liking, the original creators of Spyro had dragon mythology and platformer tropes as their template, which they tampered to their liking.

And stop turning your own beliefs into generalisation. Just because you like things done a certain way, doesn't mean "many" do.
---
#55 Posted: 22:33:21 13/01/2012
I think you are misunderstanding what I mean when I say a story has a purpose. Everything within the story has purpose, including events and characters. This is what separates fiction from nonfiction. I never said these are sacred and cannot be changed, either. There are just good ways to do it and bad ways to do it.

Why do you keep saying I don't like OCs and canon change? I have now stated multiple times that I'm fine with OCs and canon change. Her tale is merely a badly written one. Zonoya doesn't justify the canon change. It's a bad fanfic, and you can accept this and still like it, too. That's exactly what I do.

It's great that you wrote a fanfiction like that. I don't find anything wrong with the notion. Heck, throw me a link if you want, I haven't read a DotD fanfiction in a good while.
---

#56 Posted: 22:48:07 13/01/2012
.......But there is only one way to change them. There is no "good" or "bad" way.

I never said you didn't like OCs in my last comment.

Meh.....Here's a link. It's not great though, made out of sheer boredom.
http://sonicbrawler182.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d39jnnw
---
#57 Posted: 23:08:26 13/01/2012
Well, you said that I thought OCs shouldn't be incorporated, and I don't think that at all.

Fanfictions like this I'm definitely ok with. What are you talking about? That story was super MANLY.
---

#58 Posted: 23:20:43 13/01/2012
The wording sounded implicative of that. I apoligize for misunderstanding.

MANLY? Why MANLY?
---
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#59 Posted: 23:22:39 13/01/2012
Quote: shorty
Quote: Leafex
I can accept changes that come with maturity, but Spyro's defining characteristic was his kind heart.

You should never read one of the fan fictions I made then.
Even if he was 'kind at heart' during his tween years doesn't mean as an adult that didn't change. smilie He wasn't really 'mean' in the comic. He If I recall he was protective and aggressive to those who hurt the ones he protected.

I also have to agree with Sonicbrawler,if you don't like changes to the story/canon then why do you read fan fictions?
Especially ones like Shalone's which alter the storyline quite a bit?

And then Nearly after sensing Malefor in a child outright tries to kill him
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#60 Posted: 23:44:01 13/01/2012
Remember, he was worried Frijir might become Malefor, which obviously tried to kill Spyro and his family. Therefore, he wanted to get rid of Frijir before he became like Malefor.

Heck, Frijir even has Malefor's corrupting powers already, even if (right now) it's only temporary!
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:45:27 13/01/2012 by LevanJess
#61 Posted: 00:02:04 14/01/2012
Quote: sonicbrawler182
The wording sounded implicative of that. I apoligize for misunderstanding.

MANLY? Why MANLY?

It's all good -thumbs up-

In the artist's comments, you said that your next story would be more manly xD

He and Zonoya were always on bad terms. Zonoya took Nina near the beginning of the comic. Spyro was protective of Nina. Or revenge, maybe?
That and I said he wasn't mean. That doesn't mean he is the kindest person around.

How is assaulting a child not mean? He even attacked Frijir before he saw that Zonoya was the mother.

That's a pretty inaccurate assumption.
Also,last I checked, Zonoya didn't effect the main story. She effected Cynder's story. Cynder isn't even the main character and her past is not the main story.

It's an observation.
And by main story, I mean the LoS story as a whole, to differentiate it from fanfiction. Cynder may not be the main protagonist, but she's still an important character who is defined by her backstory.

Quote: LevanJess
Remember, he was worried Frijir might become Malefor, which obviously tried to kill Spyro and his family. Therefore, he wanted to get rid of Frijir before he became like Malefor.

Heck, Frijir even has Malefor's corrupting powers already, even if (right now) it's only temporary!

As a purple dragon, Spyro has access to those powers as well. Does that mean he should off himself while he's at it?
---

Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:05:05 14/01/2012 by Leafex
#62 Posted: 00:43:51 14/01/2012
Whoa, I believe you missed my point.

Why in the world would Spyro off himself? I only mentioned those powers because Spyro was worried that Frijir would hurt his family. That's why he wanted Frijir gone, not because of that power, because Frijir could become like his father, which could hurt his family. I only mentioned the corrupting power because it's showing Frijir is aging fast and becoming a threat.

Without Spyro, who would protect his family? That's why he didn't want Frijir. Not because of that power.
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:47:02 14/01/2012 by LevanJess
#63 Posted: 05:43:38 14/01/2012
Inb4 Frijir has a story arc where he fights dear old daddy to the death or does something heroic.
#64 Posted: 21:16:05 14/01/2012
I'm just saying, Spyro's the kind to give someone a chance, like he did with Cynder. She didn't choose to be corrupted by Malefor, just like Frijir didn't choose to be his son.

Quote: Jackson117
Inb4 Frijir has a story arc where he fights dear old daddy to the death or does something heroic.

Lol, I could see it now.

Spyro: I don't trust you!
Frijir: -saves Nina from Malefor/Zonoya/random threat-
Spyro: Nvm, Frijir is awesome!

If the comic continues to follow The Lion King 2, then Nina and Frijir will team up to stop the war between dragons and birdons or something. But it probably won't since she's already defended against that accusation.
---

wingsofpurple Yellow Sparx Gems: 1023
#65 Posted: 01:00:13 15/01/2012 | Topic Creator
I liked it cause da art... but the plot was horrible!
in my humble opinion. :-)
---
"Man! will you ever run out of muffins?"
"No. Because I work at ze muffin factory."
#66 Posted: 01:10:56 15/01/2012
This adult Spyro isn't what the LoS canon was. You mentioned it yourself; this Spyro is OOC. He's probably less trusting than he used to be.
---
but i love it all smooth
#67 Posted: 20:01:52 16/01/2012
Well, glad you agree with me.
---

#68 Posted: 20:07:33 16/01/2012
Assaulting a child is kind of mean.
---

Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#69 Posted: 00:14:12 17/01/2012
I have no idea what's going on here, but.. In answer to the topic;

I read and keep up with the comic. I've always really enjoyed reading it.
#70 Posted: 03:05:22 17/01/2012
That's my point.
---

#71 Posted: 03:12:11 17/01/2012
See the amazing Spyro who decides anything he dislikes he needs to try and brutally Kill in 3D!
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me