Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Previous | Page 4 of 5 | Last
1 2 3 4 5
Boomtime
Silvery Green Sparx Gems: 353
#151 Posted: 16:35:11 04/10/2011
Part 4/4 (see the other 3 posts before this post):

Quote: Razz
Who says? Sparx outright admits that Cynder is sexy. There you go: one species in LoS is attracted to another one. In fact, Sparx shows just as much interest, if not more, in Cynder than Spyro does. smilie What it boils down to is this: LoS is a fantasy, and in a fantasy, anybody can pair up with anyone they like, regardless of species. It's cool to like dragon/dragon pairings, but they don't exclude dragon/other creature pairings. I know it's a bit overwrought, but saying one character can't love another just because they're different species always sounds a bit too much like "but you're white, and he's...ew, black...you can't get married!" to me and it makes me rather uncomfortable. And it does stunt the imagination unfairly. We all know how two dragons pair up and interact, so where's the fun in that? But a dragonfly and a dragon, or a dragon and a faun? Now those are some pairings I like to see explored! smilie

Sparx saying that stuff was one of the out-of-place things in my opinion in the series, and I don't really consider him to really be attracted by Cynder, especially since she tried to eat him (yeah, she's a maneater, heh heh). As for LoS, I at least personally found it to be more concerned with being realistic than what can be said of the much more carefree attitude of the earlier Spyro games, where dragons were bipedal, different species fell in love with each other, etc. That's the reason behind it originally feeling weird for me to pair Spyro with Elora but acceptable pairing Ember with Bandit, since when I think of Spyro I now think of the LoS Spyro and the universe surrounding it, but Ember of course only exists in the more carefree games before that.

Yes, right after she told Spyro very callously to get over the death of the most important person in his life. And we don't know how long she and Spyro were hanging out in Avalar after the world was remade. It looked to me like they were just doing a little celebratory loop-de-loop before going back to tell everyone what happened. Still, that's not really an indicator of much and, again, Cynder had ulterior motives for doing both of those things. By contrast, Elora teamed up with Spyro to help him, celebrated at least one victory with him that she wasn't a part of, and treated him like a friend from the start and not just a means to an end.

The callousness was due to poor voice acting as far as I'm concerned, and I didn't mention Spyro and Cynder hanging out in Avalar anywhere; what are you getting at? o_o Even if they only celebrated for one minute and then rushed back to the guardians, it wouldn't still prove anything since rushing to them would be the obvious thing to do regardless of their relationship, not to keep them worrying about their fate.
And yes, Elora treated Spyro well all the way, true. Still, I found Spyro and Cynder's relationship to be more of the mutual kind, and while not perfect since chaining two people to each other rarely ever results with only good things, natural nonetheless and something that would've happened regardless, especially since they were the only ones of their age. I mean, would you rather want to live alone in their situation, only because of the principle of refusing to choose the only option? ;p

I think most Spyro fans have had enough of SxC. It's something that needs to stay in the realms of fanfic. Spyro has gone back to his roots and is now a game for youngsters, a game in which exploring romantic relationships has no place.

As for the fics, I probably won't be reading them. If you'd gotten to me a couple years ago, I might have been interested, but, as I've said, I've had it up to my eyeballs with SxC. It's literally everywhere and nobody is doing anything interesting or unique with it. I've read some of AoH already and I did enjoy the first story but the rest was too bogged down in OCs and really frustrating plot "twists", so I never finished it.

Most Spyro fans have enough of SxC? As far as the canon is concerned, SxC hasn't properly even started yet! How could you possibly have enough of something that hasn't even as much as begun? Sure, there's been 3 years since the release of DotD, but if TEN and DotD supposedly had 3 years between them (as stated by the storyline), then why couldn't the opposite be true and little or no time having passed between DotD and the next possible LoS (as in a game situated in the LoS universe) game?

Then finally about the fics (nearly done with this post, yay!):
While AoH II was about the equivalent of TEN in long, grim violence and frustration, it's regardless definitely worth the read, if for nothing else then for book III and most importantly of all, AoH: Karma and Convexity, which is quite simply one of the best books I've ever read. It's possible to read it without having read AoH I-III, but the references you find if you have read them are enough to make I-III worth reading IMO. smilie
Dark Legacy then is roughly 20 years after the events of DotD, and only has Spyro and Cynder in them from time to time, concentrating on the new generation and a very interesting and enjoyable-to-relate-to character called Lyrith, an albino dragon. Definitely another worthwhile read.
Then there's also Tears of an Oracle and its sequel Residual Darkness, but these star Spyro and Cynder more intensively than the previous books so I imagine you wouldn't be as much interested in them. Definitely do give AoH: KaC (and books I-III) and DL a try though!

OH GOD, seriously I had to break this into 4 posts to avoid the character limit. Hope this is enough "not avoiding your posts" for now! Gonna go soak my typing fingers in hot water now smiliesmilieDsmilie
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:38:52 04/10/2011 by Silvery
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#152 Posted: 16:58:39 04/10/2011
Quote: Silvery
Part 2/4:
This is what I don't understand; it's not like movies that you watch let you pick who the main character falls in love with? You're viewing the LoS pairing of SxC as something that "discriminates" (pixels, heh heh) Ember and Elora. With all due respect but still cold logic, why should LoS concern itself with giving the player options on who to ship Spyro with? In what way is it "ramming it down your throats"; isn't that what every predetermined story does?

Not always, in fact, in most games/movies, there's at least one other female in the series at least. ANB & TEN are fine, it's DOTD where I personally felt there was far too much of it.

Part 3/4:
One thing I can think of is the player being in a "childrens'-game-mode" of sorts when playing LoS (such as with classic Spyro games where Spyro is completely oblivious to love similar to Ash Ketchum in Pokemon and other such young main characters of various franchises), and not expecting romance to take place in the games, and Spyro and Cynder's relationship to be purely that of friendship and comfort. In that sense I imagine it would feel abrupt.

Not at all for me. I play several 'epic' style games, and I support the canon pairings in all of them. SxC is the first, and still only, pairing from a videogame which I do not support, only because it was so poorly executed. It ran like a typical teen movie. This is, of course, my opinion.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with her attitude as far as I've seen; the part after Ignitus' death I blame on a poorly VA'd line by Christina Ricci; she wasn't exactly on Wood's level in my opinion. I very much doubt the story states that she should be saying it with a vibe that makes her seem uncaring; after all isn't Ignitus the closest thing to a father figure she had too?

With all due respect, I really, really don't like it when people say things like this. From my point of view, it's like saying, 'She's got flaws, but they aren't her fault, they're someone else's'.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
#153 Posted: 17:24:46 04/10/2011
Quote: RadSpyro
Not always, in fact, in most games/movies, there's at least one other female in the series at least. ANB & TEN are fine, it's DOTD where I personally felt there was far too much of it.

Well if you mean it in the sense of there being a chance for the story (not the player) to advance into more than 1 direction in that regard (by giving the main characters more options than just each other) then yes, you have a point.

Not at all for me. I play several 'epic' style games, and I support the canon pairings in all of them. SxC is the first, and still only, pairing from a videogame which I do not support, only because it was so poorly executed. It ran like a typical teen movie. This is, of course, my opinion.

If the pairing really sucked that much in your (and many others') opinion, then there must be a reason behind it. Just like there are reasons to why me and many others liked it a lot too. I don't doubt you. I might even grow tired of it myself in the end, only time will tell. But for now I'm trying not to purposefully ruin it for myself. smilie

With all due respect, I really, really don't like it when people say things like this. From my point of view, it's like saying, 'She's got flaws, but they aren't her fault, they're someone else's'.

When I'm talking about Cynder here, I'm talking about the manuscript that's written for her, not about the decency of the voice actors picked to interpret her. With even the smallest amount of common sense it should be clear that it isn't supposed for Cynder to act coldly in that part; the manuscript doesn't say "Cynder (cold, uncaring voice): SHUT UP SPYRO, IGNITUS SUCKED ANYWAY". And it's that that I'm concerned about. Imperfect example, but if you go to the theatre to see MacBeth and you dislike his actor's interpretation of him, you can't say MacBeth sucks as a character. Hope you understand what I'm getting at.
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#154 Posted: 17:30:58 04/10/2011
Games rated between 3 to 18, arguments for and against shippings, I'm just talking about how annoying most of the Skylanders' voices are (not Spyro or that female who kinda reminds me of Raziel from Soul reaver)
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6239
#155 Posted: 17:32:50 04/10/2011
Quote: StevemacQ
I'm just talking about how annoying most of the Skylanders' voices are (not Spyro or that female who kinda reminds me of Raziel from Soul reaver)

^this
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6071
#156 Posted: 19:09:56 04/10/2011
I think, at this point, all of our big long posts are boiling down to what I said before: we all have our likes/dislikes and nothing anyone else says is going to change that. We are now going in circles, so I'm not going to continue this discussion. But I'm glad you aren't the kind of crazed Cydork I mistook you for, Silvery. smilie
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9212
#157 Posted: 19:11:51 04/10/2011
I think, at this point, all of our big long posts are boiling down to what I said before: we all have our likes/dislikes and nothing anyone else says is going to change that. We are now going in circles, so I'm not going to continue this discussion. But I'm glad you aren't the kind of crazed Cydork I mistook you for, Silvery. smilie

Very true.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
#158 Posted: 19:24:59 04/10/2011
This argument reminds me when I was arguing with legendofspyro........

BACK ON TOPIC: I kinda like how Spyro's voice was made official, but I hope the others were just used for the time being. If they're all official, then I'll make great use of the mute button.
Prysom Ripto Gems: 131
#159 Posted: 20:06:55 04/10/2011
Silvery, you have impressed me. You went on a quad post rant, because your post had exceeded the character limit THREE times. I have never seen such a verbose SxC fan. Unfortunately, your argument for the claimed inherent perfection of the couple relies on no further candidates being introduced.
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#160 Posted: 20:27:37 04/10/2011
I found a bit wrong with her attitude. Whenever she wasn't moaning about her past, she was being a bit snotty and rude, don't you think? How she treated Sparx and such? I never thought of Ignitus being a father figure to her, too, but maybe. I didn't like how she pretty much said "Get over it and let's go, Spyro!" when he died. That's the vibe I got from it.

That's true, there. Although Cynder isn't too much better after stated she loved him when they've met for less than 4 weeks.
She was, so she was pretty much a Damsel-in-Distress. And she never lifted a claw to make it up to Spyro, either.
They did spend a lot of time together, however, they rarely talked much.

1. Alright, good point. Can't really argue on that one. Although, I still think it would've been better to just kill Spyro and Cynder since they COULD escape.
2. Okay. That's something I was wondering myself. :/
3. Hm, that's not a bad explanation. No one ever told me that one. Although, I thought only green, red, purple, and blue gems gave them power? I'm probably wrong.
4. True, the gameplay would've been shattered, but the story, still. Although, they seemed a bit experienced in ANB and TEN to me? Probably wrong, then...

That's true. Cynder being corrupted WAS a bit of a fresh breath of air (I should've elaborated that).

Nah, I kinda don't blame you for assuming that.
Sorry if I sounded rude.

It didn't really struck me either until I saw the anthro naked pictures of her everywhere. Then I saw how huge her chest was and the chains. Wow, you're right. I missed that one. They did change color, didn't they? That's something I didn't like either, I liked her better when she was a black dragon. I don't like stanky characters much, either. I have to say, the fandom of her (no, not you or everyone) seems to like it. :/

I think, at this point, all of our big long posts are boiling down to what I said before: we all have our likes/dislikes and nothing anyone else says is going to change that. We are now going in circles, so I'm not going to continue this discussion. But I'm glad you aren't the kind of crazed Cydork I mistook you for, Silvery. :)

Also, this.
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:16:25 04/10/2011 by LevanJess
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#161 Posted: 21:31:03 04/10/2011
Quote: CAV
This argument reminds me when I was arguing with legendofspyro........

BACK ON TOPIC: I kinda like how Spyro's voice was made official, but I hope the others were just used for the time being. If they're all official, then I'll make great use of the mute button.

We heard Gill Grunt's and Trigger Happy's real voice in the game.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#162 Posted: 21:32:02 04/10/2011

Yeah, if you hadn't backed down then I would have anyway; it's not worth the effort. I just hope you took time to read my replies to you at least and understand what I was getting at.

Quote: Prysom
Silvery, you have impressed me. You went on a quad post rant, because your post had exceeded the character limit THREE times. I have never seen such a verbose SxC fan. Unfortunately, your argument for the claimed inherent perfection of the couple relies on no further candidates being introduced.

My post got this long because I was replying to three people, and I wanted to do everyone justice. Not because I like to randomly type junk on forums. And the argument you presented here has already been mentioned (except I didn't claim it to be perfect) and countered by me (it makes it all the more epic, see? Only one male and female, destined to be with each other! ...Ergo: "And...? What exactly is the problem with them being alone?")

Quote: LevanJess
*text*

Some valid points there, though you need to remember that not everything in the games' story happened in front of the camera. The story of DotD for example has Spyro and Cynder travel vast distances and do huge things. This means it's very doubtful it all happened in 1 day, which in turn means there have been nights and whatnot that weren't shown in cutscenes, and other free time where they would be resting between travelling and fighting (all of this is called offscreen); ample time to talk and get to know each other better. The adventure might've lasted for weeks for all we know. In the game you only play and watch the key points of their adventure, obviously because otherwise playing the game would take just as long as their adventure did (weeks).

As for point 3: What I said isn't canon (there isn't "yellow crystal" found in the games), it was simply a logical way for myself to reason how they grew while inside the crystal.

And for the anthro pictures you mentioned; luckily I haven't stumbled upon any of those so far; let's hope it stays that way. smilie
#163 Posted: 21:35:03 04/10/2011
Were all of this not said before, I'd see reason in it. The one lone thing I have yet to see from a SxC fan is "Yeah, I guess you are right.".
#164 Posted: 22:23:22 04/10/2011
Very valid point there. It could've taken weeks, and they could have communicated more. In the game, they didn't seem to communicate much.

I understand. You made a good point.

You should, especially on Herpy. :l
---
but i love it all smooth
#165 Posted: 22:28:46 04/10/2011
Herpy = Thumbs up.
#166 Posted: 01:17:26 05/10/2011
Herpy derpy = [User Posted Image]

@Razz: I checked your DA page (the Razzek one) and from what I saw you're a very talented and really, really productive artist. I have to say though that your way of unabashedly drawing various character into exaggeratedly suggestive poses and romantical confrontations is definitely far from what I like in pictures. I imagine your past Cynder creations might've been adored by some of the more... pervy Cynder fans, but I could never see myself liking that stuff; my taste is far more... modest than that. smilie

But don't let my opinion weigh you down or take it as an offence. I see you are keen to arouse strong feelings in your audience; probably works well with a lot of people, just not with me, definitely not. ;p
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:26:56 05/10/2011 by Silvery
ccrogers15 Ripto Gems: 248
#167 Posted: 02:52:43 05/10/2011
you know what i dont like about this game?
1. Spyros design
2. That they slapped us in the face by throwing cynder in
3. That so many people started drooling over it when cynder was thrown in
4. That its gonna be 70 dollars.
5. Its releases in europe first (no offence europe people, but the developers are here in usa so)
6. The levels look bad.
7. Now whenever i go into a game area of a store, i gotta look at this since activision is paying major to all stores to put up signs and banners for it.
8. They tried to make it like original spyro, ok so why? Just make an original spyro for god sakes.
9. My little brothers 3,4 and 6 year olds all say the game looks stupid. (pretty bad).
if the pad or toys get wet, expect to go buy new ones.
#168 Posted: 02:54:07 05/10/2011
Actually, Australia will be getting the game first on the 12th (PC version) and 13th (for the console versions).
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:54:37 05/10/2011 by Aura24
#169 Posted: 03:17:28 05/10/2011
Quote: ccrogers15

5. Its releases in europe first (no offence europe people, but the developers are here in usa so)

7. Now whenever i go into a game area of a store, i gotta look at this since activision is paying major to all stores to put up signs and banners for it.

8. They tried to make it like original spyro, ok so why? Just make an original spyro for god sakes.

9. My little brothers 3,4 and 6 year olds all say the game looks stupid. (pretty bad).

5. The US always gets the games first. What's wrong with a different area getting it first for once?

7. Nope. I've actually seen equal hype for Skylanders and MW3, and the hype for Battlefield 3 has trounced both games. So you'd be seeing mostly that.

8. Because then people would still ***** that they can't come up with original ideas, and instead decided to mooch off of Insomniac.

9. My little brother is 10 (will be 11 in December), and thinks this game is interesting.
#170 Posted: 04:46:49 05/10/2011
We'll probably be seeing spoilers before our release date comes.
---
ReshiramForever Platinum Sparx Gems: 5142
#171 Posted: 05:24:49 05/10/2011
1. Spyros design
6. The levels look bad.

1.) So what? I don't like Classic Spyro's design but I still loved the games.
2.) I agree with the Cynder thing. wtf activision.
3.) I ignore the Cyntards.
4.) Heaps of games are $70. If that's for Console, then that's pretty good.
5.) The USA always gets games first. Why not somewhere else for once? Plus, you guys are getting it 2 Days later, what's the difference?
6.) I don't think they do.
7.) Whut? I've only seen ONE store (Gametraders) that had Skylanders crap.
8.) It can't be Classic Spyro unless the creators of the originals make it.
9.) Just because your little bros dun't like it, it doesn't mean the whole game is stupid. It might not be their thing.
10.) Don't get them wet, simple as that.
---
self professed austGAYlian
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6071
#172 Posted: 06:27:08 05/10/2011
Herpy derpy = [User Posted Image]

@Razz: I checked your DA page (the Razzek one) and from what I saw you're a very talented and really, really productive artist. I have to say though that your way of unabashedly drawing various character into exaggeratedly suggestive poses and romantical confrontations is definitely far from what I like in pictures. I imagine your past Cynder creations might've been adored by some of the more... pervy Cynder fans, but I could never see myself liking that stuff; my taste is far more... modest than that. smilie

But don't let my opinion weigh you down or take it as an offence. I see you are keen to arouse strong feelings in your audience; probably works well with a lot of people, just not with me, definitely not. ;p

Harr, agreed about Herpy. That site is the cloacal vent of the furry fandom, and that says a lot. Don't waste your time on that garbage heap of a website.

Thanks. smilie Keep in mind that I get paid to draw a lot of that stuff. It doesn't all float my boat, though I do like curvy lines. Most of my shipping art is drawn just to tick off fanboys. smilie Or as a creative thought experiment. Yeah, I was one of the first people to draw racy Cynder art (back before it was everywhere and back when it was still a challenge). It got old and boring pretty fast, though.

I won't take offense at that if you won't at this: your opinion doesn't matter until you pay me to draw something for you. smilie I'm a professional artist/writer and do it for a living, so I really am not bothered by what non-paying viewers think of my art (unless they keep watching me when they don't like it, which is silly and annoying smilie).
#173 Posted: 11:07:24 05/10/2011
1. Spyros design
6. The levels look bad.

1. Fair enough.
2. See above, I was a little miffed at that too honestly.
3. Ignore 'em.
4. Most games in Europe are $75-80 anyway - Consider yourself lucky.
5. Harry Potter is British. But the Americans have had stuff before us, including a THEME PARK which we don't have period. And you're complaining over a 2 day release date difference? Wow.
6. I think they're beautiful. They look like something from Classic Spyro, with a twist.
7. See CAV's response.
8. Above.
9. It seemed immensely popular with other kids and young teens at the event. Like anything, some kids won't like it. Either way, considering this is slated to be this years hot Christmas gift, I'd say it's popular with most other kids.
Then take better care of your stuff, maybe?
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
ccrogers15 Ripto Gems: 248
#174 Posted: 11:21:23 05/10/2011
Quote: ReshiramForever
1. Spyros design
6. The levels look bad.

1.) So what? I don't like Classic Spyro's design but I still loved the games.
2.) I agree with the Cynder thing. wtf activision.
3.) I ignore the Cyntards.
4.) Heaps of games are $70. If that's for Console, then that's pretty good.
5.) The USA always gets games first. Why not somewhere else for once? Plus, you guys are getting it 2 Days later, what's the difference?
6.) I don't think they do.
7.) Whut? I've only seen ONE store (Gametraders) that had Skylanders crap.
8.) It can't be Classic Spyro unless the creators of the originals make it.
9.) Just because your little bros dun't like it, it doesn't mean the whole game is stupid. It might not be their thing.
10.) Don't get them wet, simple as that.

1.the games play ok but the design and story always suck.
2. Yep slapped in the face.
3. Lol cyntards could not agree more.
4.what ever happened to 20 dollar games like back pre 2007?
5.the date i seen originally showed a 3 week difference :/
6. the levels all look ugly and there all in the sky. (yes i know its called skylanders)
7. then come to jackson MI in the USA and look at the stores.
8. actually it can. Classic spyros considered all spyros before the reboot to LOS.
9. idk
10. Well if it accidently gets wet activision laughs at you.
#175 Posted: 17:10:13 05/10/2011
1. Kids games almost always have bad stories.
2. Heard of favoritism? That's this.
3. People are idiots. Are you really surprised at that fact?
4. Whatever happened to people not getting screwed over financially for a SINGLE game? Shoot, I got all THREE of the first Spyro games for less than Skylanders' base price. $70? Really? I've never paid that much for a game!
5. Isn't Australia getting it first?
6. The fact that every level takes place on floating islands is quite stupid.
7. Come to ANY store in the USA and see it.
8. That's actually true.
9. Kids find ANYTHING fascinating. Occupying kids just requires a TV.
10. The items have the same flaws as a computer.
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#176 Posted: 20:38:47 05/10/2011
Even though is aiming Skylanders to kids, they'll just forget Skylanders even exists whenever Modern Warfare 3 is out because most kids nowadays are obsessed with military based first person shooters. Activision makes more money anyway.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#177 Posted: 21:02:05 05/10/2011
Yeah, kind of seems obvious.
#178 Posted: 21:12:30 05/10/2011
Quote: StevemacQ
Even though is aiming Skylanders to kids, they'll just forget Skylanders even exists whenever Modern Warfare 3 is out because most kids nowadays are obsessed with military based first person shooters. Activision makes more money anyway.

Looking at the articles having been posted and other sources, Skylanders is proving to be a hit with the kids that matter. The kids that have parents smart enough not to play a game like MW3.

Don't generalize.
#179 Posted: 21:16:19 05/10/2011
But knowing how capricious kids are, will they have the interest to buy enough to satisfy expectations?
#180 Posted: 21:46:19 05/10/2011
Only time will tell.
Dragon-year Green Sparx Gems: 280
#181 Posted: 00:35:55 06/10/2011
I couldn't hear you...because BOOM!
---
Spyro is red, no, blue, no, green, no, black, no, pink, no, yellow...wait! PURPLE! I use too many cheat codes.
#182 Posted: 02:02:43 07/10/2011
I kinda feel bad for the Spyro franchise to be cast so low that the publishing of a game like this (Skylanders) would be defined "interesting"; as far as I'm concerned Spyro (or his "reincrepated" self - crepundia stands for toy in latin like carnem does for flesh) is only a side character, and has only been given more limelight due to him being a popular character and as such a good way of increasing popularity and thus sales.

I for one am going to go the furthest extent I can to comfortably pretend this game doesn't exist, and wait for the next Spyro game to come. I hope this game will in some way encourage the making of a Spyro game, but one where Spyro is a real dragon and the main character, rather than the snarling, glossy, side-character toybeast seen here. smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:04:42 07/10/2011 by Silvery
#183 Posted: 03:11:52 07/10/2011
^I'm going to say it one more time. I'm sick and tired of repeating myself:

Quote:
Skylanders' "kiddie" attitude is a lot like the attitude that original Spyro was aiming for. It was a kids game then, it's a kids game now. LoS wasn't mature. It was a sad, cliche attempt at getting kids slightly older interested, and that's coming from a fan of the games. This game honestly gets closer to the original games than LoS. It's not something completely different. It's not something far away from what the games did. Even in LoS, Spyro was still a kids game. Appealing to a few teens/adults =/= mature game.

I'm going to save this quote in case I have to use it again...........again.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:12:21 07/10/2011 by CAV
#184 Posted: 12:03:27 07/10/2011
^I'm going to say it one more time. I'm sick and tired of repeating myself:

Quote:
Skylanders' "kiddie" attitude is a lot like the attitude that original Spyro was aiming for. It was a kids game then, it's a kids game now. LoS wasn't mature. It was a sad, cliche attempt at getting kids slightly older interested, and that's coming from a fan of the games. This game honestly gets closer to the original games than LoS. It's not something completely different. It's not something far away from what the games did. Even in LoS, Spyro was still a kids game. Appealing to a few teens/adults =/= mature game.

I'm going to save this quote in case I have to use it again...........again.

Aren't people allowed to have an opinion? Doesn't matter how much Classicness they decide to throw in, still won't be the same in my opinion.
---
#185 Posted: 13:10:38 07/10/2011
^Did I say she wasn't allowed to have an opinion?
#186 Posted: 13:13:24 07/10/2011
^Did I say she wasn't allowed to have an opinion?

The way you were complaining sounded like it to me. And surely that can be an opinion for a quote to be saying that Skylanders is based around the original Spyro when it clearly is not, but wait, me commenting that it clearly is not is an opinion too, so you can't really keep posting that quote around can you? Nope. You really are irritating most of the time.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:15:05 07/10/2011 by SuperSpyroFan
#187 Posted: 13:26:04 07/10/2011
The only thing I'm tired of hearing now is how Spyro was just added in due to popularity. Yes, I agree, he is a side character here, BUT - Since when was LoS anything less than using the name to gather interest and fans.....? It took everything away and threw it aside whilst this game at least tries to remember the roots.

Really, ignoring the game won't do much good - If this game were to fail (which it won't, I can say that safely now) then we can kiss goodbye to Spyro forever.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#188 Posted: 16:41:23 07/10/2011
The only thing I'm tired of hearing now is how Spyro was just added in due to popularity. Yes, I agree, he is a side character here, BUT - Since when was LoS anything less than using the name to gather interest and fans.....? It took everything away and threw it aside whilst this game at least tries to remember the roots.

Spyro was just used to get popularity but there's nothing wrong with that, it doesn't make it any worse a game. However, I would say your point on TLoS isn't exactly valid. Spyro is the main character throughout the game and until DOTD he was the only playable character, the story revolved around him and it wasn't the launch of a new franchise like Skylanders is that needed a leg to stand on.

However, as said before, there's nothing wrong with Spyro being in Skylanders just to get it noticed.
#189 Posted: 17:01:54 07/10/2011
Quote: bionicle2809

Spyro was just used to get popularity but there's nothing wrong with that, it doesn't make it any worse a game. However, I would say your point on TLoS isn't exactly valid. Spyro is the main character throughout the game and until DOTD he was the only playable character, the story revolved around him and it wasn't the launch of a new franchise like Skylanders is that needed a leg to stand on.

However, as said before, there's nothing wrong with Spyro being in Skylanders just to get it noticed.

It is actually valid - Because I did admit that Skylanders was just a side character. Spyro was just used to get into that game (LoS) based on his popularity - It shared nothing with the original except being a purple dragon called Spyro with a sidekick called Sparx. Same with Skylanders, except he's no longer the main character. Either way, both games could have been produced without using Spyro, so it's hard to say that either weren't guilty of using the big name.

But like you said, that doesn't make any of them a bad game, it's just a marketing practise.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
#190 Posted: 20:05:02 07/10/2011

It is actually valid - Because I did admit that Skylanders was just a side character. Spyro was just used to get into that game (LoS) based on his popularity - It shared nothing with the original except being a purple dragon called Spyro with a sidekick called Sparx. Same with Skylanders, except he's no longer the main character. Either way, both games could have been produced without using Spyro, so it's hard to say that either weren't guilty of using the big name.

But like you said, that doesn't make any of them a bad game, it's just a marketing practise.

Except Toys for Bob thought of Skylanders before they added Spyro, TLoS wasn't. That's the difference.
#191 Posted: 20:05:24 07/10/2011
CAV is actually right about the TLoS not being mature, and the Classics being "kiddy". So what makes this different?

And of course people can have opinions, but what people don't understand is People can have opinions, but other people have a right to call them out or disagree.
---
but i love it all smooth
#192 Posted: 20:18:39 07/10/2011

Except Toys for Bob thought of Skylanders before they added Spyro, TLoS wasn't. That's the difference.

Except we don't actually know that. Mike could have easily had the idea and just not mentioned it before.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
#193 Posted: 20:20:37 07/10/2011

Really, ignoring the game won't do much good - If this game were to fail (which it won't, I can say that safely now) then we can kiss goodbye to Spyro forever.

I do think that Spyro was added in just to grab extra attention, it's the big name that a lot of people will notice. A marketing thing. I agree with you on the LoS part, anyone can ignore a game, it's easy to. The game will definitely not fail, it's aimed at childrens', and bright colours and random characters entertain any child. There are a few things that I've seen in Skylanders that remind me of the original Spyro series, but it still doesn't really do anything for me.
---
soren Red Sparx Gems: 72
#194 Posted: 14:28:37 08/10/2011
I think we should ALL stop agrguing (miss spell! srry) about this i dont think activison cares about voices or how much they changed spyro and his world,

therre only doing it 4 kids,,arguing dont change anything, it just makes stress, there iss alot of people who hate voices and hate skylanders, and

there is alot of people who love the voices and love skylanders,i know spyro is diffrent but he is still the dragon HE was and hes still me childhood hero,,,,,,SO lets all accept what we think with out Fighting ^-^ so what u
people doing?
---
smilie
#195 Posted: 18:33:15 08/10/2011
WAIT A MINUTE! so skylanders was here befor but they just added spyro?!? someone EXPLAIN to meh
---
smilie
#196 Posted: 18:35:50 08/10/2011
I honestly don't see what all the surprisedness and gasps are about. Skylanders is a young kids' game, and that's what the voice acting and what not reflect. I trust the vast majority of you are aged between 14-20+ and as such you'd largely prefer Elijah Wood's more grown up voice acting over childish, "cutesy"/"cool" voices.

It was Activision's decision to take the franchise to a (much) more kid-friendly direction with this game - saying how Spyro doesn't fit in a mature world as if it were an undisputed fact - and you are now reaping the benefits or paying the price, depending on your opinion.

Me being older I was for one hoping for a game that would continue where DotD picked off. There were a lot of things they could've expanded on with the story: Spyro and Cynder were never given airtime as a couple, they never met up with the guardians, Sparx or Hunter; it's as if we only got to save the world and then have the series end before getting to enjoy our win.

But yes, there might be more money to be made with kids rather than the dwindling, mature fanbase who played the first Spyro games in their childhood; but then again, why not just create a new character since the kids wouldn't be familiar with Spyro either way?
U are very right
about that, lol i dont know why but i am EXITED to hear spyro's real voice smilie
---
smilie
Fireball Emerald Sparx Gems: 3156
#197 Posted: 19:14:10 08/10/2011
Don't triple post, soren. smilie
---
OblivionSkull21, up and coming indie developer
#198 Posted: 19:40:18 08/10/2011
Quote: soren
I think we should ALL stop agrguing (miss spell! srry) about this i dont think activison cares about voices or how much they changed spyro and his world,

therre only doing it 4 kids,,arguing dont change anything, it just makes stress, there iss alot of people who hate voices and hate skylanders, and

there is alot of people who love the voices and love skylanders,i know spyro is diffrent but he is still the dragon HE was and hes still me childhood hero,,,,,,SO lets all accept what we think with out Fighting ^-^ so what u
people doing?

I wasn't trying to argue, I was getting my opinion across, since when does stating an opinion can be considered as an argument? And according to your grammar you seem so mature don't you? (*Sarcasm*)
---
#199 Posted: 21:01:17 08/10/2011

people doing?

They don't care. But at least they're TRYING to bring Spyro back after (to some people, the complete letdown that is) DotD.

And who says adults can't like kid stuff? Adults that think that should get off their high horse.
Of course, but not everyone thinks so. They think only a petty little design matters, not gameplay.
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:09:24 08/10/2011 by LevanJess
#200 Posted: 23:02:58 08/10/2011
WAIT A MINUTE! so skylanders was here befor but they just added spyro?!? someone EXPLAIN to meh

Kind of, Toys For Bob were meant to be making a Spyro game and instead started working with the whole toys/portal technology and added Spyro in it. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
First | Previous | Page 4 of 5 | Last
1 2 3 4 5

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me