Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
Skylanders Revealed
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#51 Posted: 00:13:18 21/09/2011
Quote: Silvery
Why is it now so much in to think only positively of spyro getting entwined in Skylanders (and without any logical reasoning to that), and out to question it, even in the logical way I did? And on top of that, you even need to make fun of the questioner?

The problem isn't hating Skylanders, and definately not for hating it for logical reasons.

The problem is for hating it for stupid reasons, like character design or lack of characters from the old games, or because Activision is publishing it. After hearing those dumb reasons a billion times over, people eventually get snappy about it.

And welcome to darkSpyro: People troll others, especially new members.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:14:08 21/09/2011 by CAV
Silvery Green Sparx Gems: 353
#52 Posted: 01:43:20 21/09/2011
Character design is a more complex matter than just the cover of the book, unlike one would easily assume.

You can look at the new Spyro and take note of details like purple scales, extended claws, protruding fangs, short face.

Then you can look at him as if trying to stare through his eyes into his soul. It is this soul, the plain essence of what Spyro is, that I notice to lack completely from the new creation, the soul that both the classic and LoS Spyros had, although a little differing. Hard to explain but yeah.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#53 Posted: 01:49:30 21/09/2011
Looks to me like you're just describing to us on what you think of Skylanders Spyro in your point of view.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:54:17 21/09/2011 by Aura24
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#54 Posted: 08:09:23 21/09/2011
I agree with Silvery.
Those thicker, defined eyebrows and mottled skin give him a much more "animalistic" look, but he does have more determination in his face.

LoS Spyro seemed to have the most "humanlike" face, but he lacked expression with his mouth, which made him look perpetually distressed/sad (and maybe, more easier to sympathize in an 'I feel sorry for you' way).

But, Skylanders' Spyro fits him. He's not on a carefree stroll to eventually defeat a cartoony villain, he's not under pressure with the world on his shoulders for being born a certain way, he's just out to fight bad guys the whole way.
---
#all Spyros are valid
#55 Posted: 21:16:09 21/09/2011
Well, this is my opinion. If you're happy to see Spyro take on a more childish, carefree route then who am I to judge you. Just feels a shame since in my opinion they might as well have created an entirely new dragon character instead of radically changing an existing one, into an even more childish environment than it started from.

But then again, my opinion is of course biased since I think Spyro fits in a more mature world, something which LoS haters would not agree with. (:

And this is completely useless anyway, since by saying this obvious stuff I'm just spoiling the fun of SpyroxSkylanders supporters. What I should do is wait and hope for the next Spyro game (since this is a Skylanders game) to continue from where DotD ended.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:21:32 21/09/2011 by Silvery
#56 Posted: 21:18:59 21/09/2011
Skylanders is a reboot for the Spyro series, Silvery, which means the entire Spyro series, the classic and Legend included, never happened. Since the series was rebooted again, there was no love between Spyro and Cynder, no Malefor, no Guardians.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#57 Posted: 21:20:46 21/09/2011
Quote: Aura24
Skylanders is a reboot for the Spyro series, Silvery, which means the entire Spyro series, the classic and Legend included, never happened. Since the series was rebooted again, there was no love between Spyro and Cynder, no Malefor, no Guardians.

Yes, I think Silvery already knows that, I think he/she is just stating an opinion.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
#58 Posted: 21:24:17 21/09/2011
Although they did bring some elements of the LoS into Skylanders, like Spyro hailing from a rare line of rare purple dragons and all.
---
#59 Posted: 21:26:11 21/09/2011
Although they did bring some elements of the LoS into Skylanders, like Spyro hailing from a rare line of rare purple dragons and all.

Yeah, but it's not really a great deal, it's just that one thing.
---
#60 Posted: 21:27:54 21/09/2011
@Aura: Extracts from the ND interview you posted somewhere:

Quote:
ND: Do you feel that it is a natural evolution of the Spyro franchise?

JY: I think it’s the right evolution as far as gameplay in the world of games and toys we’re going, and Spyro is a perfect fit for this. When people ask what a Skylander is, we reply to them that it is a legendary hero, a champion in the world of Skyland, and as we’ve seen through the Spyro games, he’s kind of earned his stripes as becoming a legendary champion and has earned the rank of being such a Skylander and to be among the 32 champions that is kind of the forefront, the leaderish of the Skyland. He’s well know, he has set the standard for what it is to be a hero. So, it is a natural evolution for it.

ND: Don’t you feel that the game will lose some of its personality, as Spyro is now just one of many playable characters?

JY: No I don’t think so, because we keep very true to Spyro’s origins, and his abilities and play style that people have experienced in the past. There’s everything you’d expect Spyro to be able to do, we want to make sure we do it right. You don’t just do something because you can, you’ve got to be smart about it and be able to do it right, and make sure that you’re pleasing the fanbase and yourself as a gamer and somebody who likes to enjoy toys. We believe we’ve definitely done Spyro justice.

If it indeed is a total reboot, and classic / LoS never happened, then what's up with the lines in bold? smilie

Feels like a very shaky reasoning to only take some elements from the very core of what made LoS - for example - special (the purple dragon stuff) as well as Dark Spyro and Cynder even doing as much as existing in Skylanders, but then saying LoS never happened. Get what I mean? smilie
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 21:33:43 21/09/2011 by Silvery
#61 Posted: 21:30:38 21/09/2011
That interview was written back in 2008, three years ago, Silvery.

Sierra Entertainment was originally going to do another LoS game back in 2009, but Activision, who now owns the series, decided to go with a different direction with the Spyro series in the form of Skylanders we see now.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:33:42 21/09/2011 by Aura24
Prysom Ripto Gems: 131
#62 Posted: 21:33:40 21/09/2011
That is not a very accurate Skylanders interview.
#63 Posted: 21:34:37 21/09/2011
Quote: Prysom
That is not a very accurate Skylanders interview.

It's from an Nintendo-difference interview.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:39:58 21/09/2011 by Aura24
#64 Posted: 21:35:37 21/09/2011
That interview was written back in 2008, three years ago, Silvery.

Quote:
DOSSIER
Thème :
Interview
Auteur :
Manmedaz
Date :
30/05/11

(link)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:36:03 21/09/2011 by Silvery
#65 Posted: 21:37:18 21/09/2011
^ Oh, you had me confused with another interview then since you didn't put a link. My mistake.

Them bringing back Cynder and Dark Spyro probably shows that they are popular characters along with Spyro in Skylanders.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:38:52 21/09/2011 by Aura24
#66 Posted: 21:47:01 21/09/2011
Exactly. According to you, they would be cold-bloodedly taking the bits of LoS they think are good and just inject them in the Skylanders game - without thinking what it is that actually makes them good, which would be the story behind them of course. Without the background of LoS, Cynder and Dark Spyro are meaningless, all but hollow shells of their real counterparts in the LoS universe. Actually, in my opinion the entire Spyro character would be out of place without the story already created behind it, and could just as well be dubbed Elroy then.

And I really doubt they would do something like that, in which case it wouldn't be a reboot. (:
#67 Posted: 21:52:50 21/09/2011
Since Skylanders is a reboot, Cynder will be most possibly be a complete different character with a better personality than her LoS counterpart, and Dark Spyro is a more controlled version of his LoS counterpart in Skylanders. They already created backstories for each character in the world they live in.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:55:34 21/09/2011 by Aura24
#68 Posted: 21:56:10 21/09/2011
Well, this is my opinion. If you're happy to see Spyro take on a more childish, carefree route then who am I to judge you.

I'm happy to simply see Spyro be in a game..........and I'll be really happy if the game turns out good.

You act as if this is the first time Spyro has been carefree and childish.
#69 Posted: 21:57:40 21/09/2011
I'm guessing Silvery played the LoS as his or her first Spyro games. :3
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:01:23 21/09/2011 by Aura24
#70 Posted: 22:10:04 21/09/2011
Very funny. I played Spyro 2-3 as my first Spyro games, and Spyro 1 later on. Hadn't I done that I would've never gotten so suddenly interested in LoS in year 2011, now would I?

I liked those first games, but I admit I liked LoS even more than them. LoS was different by gameplay, and much more cinematic and heavy on storyline, but those are things I can appreciate in a game.

Though my highest hope would be seeing continuation to the LoS storyline, I'd still prefer seeing a classic Spyro game over the Skylanders game. I could carry on forever about the reasons but I'd just be repeating my earlier posts, so I'll just sum em up short 'n' sweet:
- Spyro is less antropomorphous than ever, me no likey cuz can't relate to him
- When I played LoS, I was like "Oh, Spyro, I missed you!". Looking at this (lots of trailers, interviews etc), I'm like "Who is this kitten?"
- (opinion) LoS had a very nice story. Why not make another game that would cover some of the plotholes and expand on what happened after Malefor's death? Why throw it all away?

There smilie
#71 Posted: 22:12:24 21/09/2011
Regardless what storyline, what universe, and the likes, I just want to play a good Spyro game.

Is that really so trivial?
#72 Posted: 22:13:46 21/09/2011
A lot of fans of the LoS asked the same question. But the LoS ended with a happy ending, with Malefor defeated and peace restored. Fans can create their own sequels of the LoS in their own way by writing fanfiction and such.

It was Activision's decision to not continue the LoS. Some things don't always continue what you expected. It's part of life.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:14:43 21/09/2011 by Aura24
#73 Posted: 22:21:24 21/09/2011
Quote: CAV
Regardless what storyline, what universe, and the likes, I just want to play a good Spyro game.

If the storyline and universe are entirely different, then what is it that even makes it a Spyro game, and not an Elroy the Purple Dragon game? This is what I'm trying to point out. smilie

A lot of fans of the LoS asked the same question. But the LoS ended with a happy ending, with Malefor defeated and peace restored. Fans can create their own sequels of the LoS in their own way by writing fanfiction and such.

It was Activision's decision to not continue the LoS. Some things don't always continue what you expected. It's part of life.

With all due respect, you are just stating the obvious. When I ask "Why?", you reply "Because.".
I'm arguing as to why I dislike this game, and instead of telling me why I should like it or even call it a Spyro game, you're just encouraging me to "deal with it" and "move on".
A game isn't a Spyro game just because Activision says it is. With this logic, I might as well be the God of music and declare that, from now on, jazz is heavy metal, or be Mother Nature and decide that starting from today, oranges are bananas.
Would you willingly lap it up? smilie
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:25:46 21/09/2011 by Silvery
#74 Posted: 22:24:55 21/09/2011

If the storyline and universe are entirely different, then what is it that even makes it a Spyro game, and not an Elroy the Purple Dragon game? This is what I'm trying to point out. smilie

If there's a purple dragon as the main playable character by the name of Spyro in a game made for the Spyro the Dragon series, then it's a Spyro game.
---
#75 Posted: 22:34:00 21/09/2011
So your definition of Spyro is "A purple dragon, owned by Activision and made in a series that happens to bear the name 'Spyro the Dragon"'?

For example with human beings, what makes you you? Is it only your name, parents and what you roughly look like? Do all the moments you've experienced, the environment you've grown in, the physical and mental effects to your persona, your very history, mean nothing?

If we now used a time machine to turn the clocks back to when a purple dragon that later became Spyro was first drawn on the storyboard, and relived the years from there on, just what force in existence would demand that it would necessarily be Spyro and not Elroy the Dragon?

Challenging to explain, but basically your definition of Spyro boils down to "it's Spyro because Activision owns the franchise and they insist it is".
#76 Posted: 22:38:20 21/09/2011
No that's not what I meant. smilie My opinion of a Spyro game is a purple dragon named Spyro as the main playable character, going on many adventures and saving his world and other realms from evil.

I see that you have a problem with Activision by the looks of your little rant there.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:38:34 21/09/2011 by Aura24
#77 Posted: 22:55:46 21/09/2011

But with that logic, LoS isn't a Spyro game, since the story is entirely different, and Sparx and (barely) Hunter are the only characters that stuck around.

You've been playing LoE (Legend of Elroy).
#78 Posted: 22:57:50 21/09/2011
@Cav: True point in itself, but I still recognized enough of the old Spyro's soul (humane character, etc.) in the LoS Spyro that my brain gave me the sense of familiarity, nostalgia, recognition. I direct you to this part of my earlier post:
- When I played LoS, I was like "Oh, Spyro, I missed you!". Looking at this (lots of trailers, interviews etc), I'm like "Who is this kitten?"

@Aura: You're not looking into it from the philosophical point of view, something that is needed to understand what I'm trying to say (however simple it is). If that truly is your definition, then why do you even consider yourself a Spyro fan? Looks to me that you just like games with a heroic, adventurous dragon as its main char.

I define Spyro as someone I know, someone I'm familiar with. If say, my best friend suffered a concussion and permanently lost his memory, then he would no longer be my best friend by definition, with all of our memories and experiences together - the definitions of our friendship - gone. He might still be a fun guy, but he wouldn't be the guy I spent so much of my life with. Same with Spyro á la Skylanders: He might be a nice, fun character in a fun, innovative game, but he isn't Spyro. Yes, they can name him Spyro, but he still isn't the Spyro from before. He doesn't share the same history and is as such a different character with just the same name.

Anyway, all of this philosophical debate is making my head ache, so if I still can't get my message through to you with this then I guess we'll just have to be content with not understanding each other and agree to disagree. Sadly. smilie Respect for trying anyway smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:01:23 21/09/2011 by Silvery
Fireball Emerald Sparx Gems: 3156
#79 Posted: 23:51:33 21/09/2011
No that's not what I meant. smilie My opinion of a Spyro game is a purple dragon named Spyro as the main playable character, going on many adventures and saving his world and other realms from evil.

I see that you have a problem with Activision by the looks of your little rant there.

He's not ranting, he's just expressing his opinion on how to identify if this is 'Spyro' or not. He hasn't gone caps lock or used exclamation points or flat out say 'Shut up, this is what should have happened!', now does he?
---
OblivionSkull21, up and coming indie developer
#80 Posted: 13:05:00 22/09/2011
I think Aura is ALWAYS on the side of the developers.
---
PikaSpyro Green Sparx Gems: 250
#81 Posted: 14:05:32 22/09/2011
Quote: Fireball

He's not ranting, he's just expressing his opinion on how to identify if this is 'Spyro' or not. He hasn't gone caps lock or used exclamation points or flat out say 'Shut up, this is what should have happened!', now does he?

^This.
---
Read my GB.
#82 Posted: 16:35:18 22/09/2011
Oh, the way Silvery said it, I thought it almost looked like he was ranting while expressing his opinion.
---
#83 Posted: 17:45:52 22/09/2011
@Cav: True point in itself, but I still recognized enough of the old Spyro's soul (humane character, etc.) in the LoS Spyro that my brain gave me the sense of familiarity, nostalgia, recognition. I direct you to this part of my earlier post:

Hardly.

Old Spyro was the typical preteen/kid hero: Wants to kick ass and save the world, while having fun doing so, and cracking jokes along the way.

LoS Spyro was the generic Elijah Wood character: Finds something wrong. Nobody else will fix the problem, so he takes it upon himself to do it, all while trying to sound moody and depressed, particularly in DotD.

Skylanders Spyro honestly is already closer to the older Spyro character than LoS ever was, and the game isn't even out yet.
#84 Posted: 18:20:05 22/09/2011

Hardly.

Old Spyro was the typical preteen/kid hero: Wants to kick ass and save the world, while having fun doing so, and cracking jokes along the way.

LoS Spyro was the generic Elijah Wood character: Finds something wrong. Nobody else will fix the problem, so he takes it upon himself to do it, all while trying to sound moody and depressed, particularly in DotD.

Skylanders Spyro honestly is already closer to the older Spyro character than LoS ever was, and the game isn't even out yet.

I agree with you on the first two points, but the last point I don't, with all those grunting sounds he makes, it makes his personality more 'animal' like in my opinion.
---
#85 Posted: 18:26:53 22/09/2011
At least Spyro's showing his wild side in Skylanders.
---
#86 Posted: 18:51:10 22/09/2011
At least Spyro's showing his wild side in Skylanders.

Yeah, he's taking a walk on the wild side.
---
#87 Posted: 23:24:35 22/09/2011
Hoping that wild side is just a step to the side then, rather than the new permanent direction. Ahh well, my hope is probably futile, so I'll just have to stick to reading LoS fanfic to comfort myself smilie
soren Red Sparx Gems: 72
#88 Posted: 22:26:10 24/09/2011
CYNDER IN THE GAME,, YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!! man,,, where is the other New updates?!?!?
---
smilie
#89 Posted: 11:20:56 25/09/2011
Quote: soren
CYNDER IN THE GAME,, YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!! man,,, where is the other New updates?!?!?

Lol, I can tell you come on here regularly. *Sarcasm*
---
ccrogers15 Ripto Gems: 248
#90 Posted: 22:16:02 03/10/2011
oh god there horrifying. They only put cynder there to try to put icing on the cake to get us all to shut up. This is not spyro. and yes aura i will say what i want and i will judge this game. I seen gameplay and pics so i see what it will be like. Do you all know its at a fixed perpective similar to resident evil? Yea. Im SOOOOOOOO not buying this. I will skip it and get saints row 3 instead.
#91 Posted: 22:16:59 03/10/2011
Quote: ccrogers15
oh god there horrifying. They only put cynder there to try to put icing on the cake to get us all to shut up. This is not spyro. and yes aura i will say what i want and i will judge this game. I seen gameplay and pics so i see what it will be like. Do you all know its at a fixed perpective similar to resident evil? Yea. Im SOOOOOOOO not buying this. I will skip it and get saints row 3 instead.

You said that for the third time already, ccrogers, not need to repeat yourself like the raging fanbase. smilie Cynder was added in way before the character poster was revealed. Her creator is in charge of Skylanders and the Spyro series.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 22:19:05 03/10/2011 by Aura24
Prysom Ripto Gems: 131
#92 Posted: 22:26:50 03/10/2011
I believe that is called 'Nepotism'.
Spyroforking Green Sparx Gems: 104
#93 Posted: 17:25:34 19/12/2011
Quote: SequoiaDragon
Things I notice... Wrecking Ball and Double Trouble have the same eyes and skin color... connection, maybe? Sunburn has only primary colors (smilie). You know what's funny? Terrafin was one of the first characters we heard of, and we still don't know his story. smilie And man, I miss the days when Cynder was black and not purple. smilie

smilie is an earth shark. He used to be a lifeguard. (Which is kinda weird since he can't actually swim!) Then he started boxing and soon became a champ. He decided to join the skylanders to use his new found ability.
P.S I agree. smilie should be black again.
---
smilie Welcome to my homeworld, crash. smilie thank you. smilie and smilie NOW GET OUT YOU SUCKA!!!
Camo100 Red Sparx Gems: 26
#94 Posted: 20:10:49 11/06/2012
OMG,Camo is in it and Cynder and Sunburn:D :P :O My favs
---
smilie ←←←←←←←← rocks
Camo100 Red Sparx Gems: 26
#95 Posted: 00:56:00 20/06/2012
I have: 2 magics 1 water 2airs 4 techs 1 fire 0 life 0 earth 0 undeads anybody know where to get sunburn in Russia? smilies
---
smilie ←←←←←←←← rocks
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me