First | Previous | Page 5 of 8 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
The new Skylanders fanbase... [CLOSED]
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#201 Posted: 03:16:06 19/02/2011
What's even more ridiculous is that they're trying to send hate letters to Activision to make them cancel Skylanders because 'it isn't their spyro' and such. What utter nonsense...
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6082
#202 Posted: 03:19:57 19/02/2011
Oiy. Most of this fandom doesn't seem to know how reality and game-making works. No amount of whining from them is going to make Activision care; they're game is 90% complete and they've poured 2 1/2 years as well as thousands, if not millions, of dollars into the project. There's also the little fact that, while the Spyro fans my scream and cry about how much it sucks, Skylanders is already a huge hit with the target audience and everyone who's seen it in action. In the end, that audience out-masses this tiny fandom by a huge margin and Activision cares a lot more about what people say with their wallets than what we say with our letters and art.
#203 Posted: 03:25:27 19/02/2011
On every game article and video on Skylanders, I see large rows of hate comments from fans who have only judged the game by its Spyro character design, a few demos, and information that they may change in the future.

lol there's even a anti-skylanders spyros group trying to send a letter to Activision. http://spyrosrevenge.deviantart.com/
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:27:00 19/02/2011 by Aura24
#204 Posted: 03:41:56 19/02/2011
Wow. Just...wow. That is absolutely pathetic. D: That drawing of Skylanders Spyro flipping the bird at these kinds of people just wasn't enough. I'll admit that a large part of me wants this game to succeed just to spit on the obnoxious fanbrats who are making these groups. And I feel bad for the Skylanders fans and the people who are on the fence or who don't care; we've all got to see this garbage cluttering up a once-fun fandom.

I already started and had to leave two Skylanders groups on dA (mostly left because I couldn't keep up with them) but it seems like it's almost worth it to start another one just to try and curb the tide.
#205 Posted: 03:51:57 19/02/2011
They're trying to gather anti-Skylanders fans to try and change the game, which is pretty much useless at the development stage Skylanders is in now..
---
#206 Posted: 04:03:50 19/02/2011
Yep. I guess it'll be fun to watch them fall on their faces trying. *shrug* I sure am getting sick of the anti-Skylanders, though. At least the LoS-haters gave those a chance (well, most of them did) and have reasons for hating.
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#207 Posted: 04:29:06 19/02/2011
I'd hate to be included in making a game, because I'm one of those people who can't stop looking at others' opinions and getting upset. :/ IRL, especially. And seeing how many fans are sending hate messages, I know for sure I'd be horrible at the job
#208 Posted: 04:29:52 19/02/2011
I was thinking that I hope the team at Toys for Bob aren't upset about the fans hating on the game..
---
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#209 Posted: 04:31:28 19/02/2011
They shouldn't be sending these hate messages, Activision has done their best to try and get everyone to like it (by the looks of it). It is a mix between Original and LoS so I don't see why anyone should be angry. But the LoS obsessors are just not happy enough with it...
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
Zackeio Yellow Sparx Gems: 1733
#210 Posted: 04:31:53 19/02/2011
Quote: Aura24
I was thinking that I hope the team at Toys for Bob aren't upset about the fans hating on the game..

I don't think it would be very professional of them to cave in just because they've aroused some swore classic Spyro fans. smilie
---
Everyday that you wake up . . . is a good day.
My Gallery
#211 Posted: 04:32:54 19/02/2011
I feel really bad for the one artist who was just doing fan art and got royally bashed for that just before Skylanders was announced. Fans can be such jerks sometimes. I hope all the nice piles of money they will get to sleep on after the game is released will soften the blow. smilie

If it helps, though, most of the professionals I've met in the entertainment industry have moved on way before their products are announced of released and tend not to notice or care what people say about them.
#212 Posted: 04:34:14 19/02/2011
Yeah :/ Even if I completely hate a game, I never go as far as emailing a bunch of hateful messages to the company involved. I think it'd be hard to not let others' opinions influence my decision, especially with all the hate D: Buuut I'm sure they've got it under control and know what they're doing. They're professionals, afterall. But I mean, they still have to see this stuff (hate towards their game), don't they?
#213 Posted: 04:37:27 19/02/2011
Quote: Razz
I feel really bad for the one artist who was just doing fan art and got royally bashed for that just before Skylanders was announced. Fans can be such jerks sometimes. I hope all the nice piles of money they will get to sleep on after the game is released will soften the blow. smilie

If it helps, though, most of the professionals I've met in the entertainment industry have moved on way before their products are announced of released and tend not to notice or care what people say about them.

Most of us fans would just be inexperienced hacks, in their eyes anyway. I guess one can assume there is some level of ego floating around some of these professionals which would result in a: I don't care about what the "little people" have to say; attitude . Especially if its not going to be beneficial to them in anyway shape or form.

@ bold: . . APATHY! that's the word that I was looking for smilie Sheesh!- Brain-fart smilie .
---
My Gallery
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:50:42 19/02/2011 by Zackeio
#214 Posted: 04:40:15 19/02/2011
I agree with Zackeio.
---
I draw stuff.
#215 Posted: 04:43:52 19/02/2011
^ That's true. It's a good way to think so you don't let what they're saying affect you, which is why I'd be horrible at the job because I know it'd bring me down. And no one would have even cared about her artwork if she didn't work on Activision. Uhh, that came out harsh sounding, but that's not what I mean. I mean, if she was just another Spyro artist on dA, she'd get compliments for her art, because well, it is some good artwork. But since she worked at Activision, everyone assumed this would be the new Spyro, and that's not what people wanted. :/
Gwenio Gold Sparx Gems: 2454
#216 Posted: 04:44:02 19/02/2011
Quote: Aura24

It is not the game they want to be making anyways, so I doubt it.
#217 Posted: 04:47:27 19/02/2011
Quote: Darby
Yeah :/ Even if I completely hate a game, I never go as far as emailing a bunch of hateful messages to the company involved. I think it'd be hard to not let others' opinions influence my decision, especially with all the hate D: Buuut I'm sure they've got it under control and know what they're doing. They're professionals, afterall. But I mean, they still have to see this stuff (hate towards their game), don't they?

Feedback is very important when making a video game (good and bad respectfully). Hate, well, we'll call it Negativity, is good because it allows the developers to see what they did wrong, and see if it needs to be changed or not. If the negative feedback from the Classic fans is so influential then they will have to either do more reserach on the Classic games are pull the plug. However, this can also be good for them to strive to do better. No true company really wants to plateau their revenues so their going to need something that they need to work on but can't seem to find it (that's were negativity or someone who likes to nit pick or point out faults).

Positive feedback is just that little push that keeps them going. . . all in all it really depends on how one responds to it. If one reacts to it then nothing will ever be truly solved, however if one creates a response (or channels that negativity to something positive) to it, then we might see an innovate solution to the problem.
---
My Gallery
TheWereCat Yellow Sparx Gems: 1000
#218 Posted: 10:29:58 19/02/2011
...If they realised that all of those people complaining were whiny pre-teen girls who fantasize over Spyro and Cynder's 'romance', I'm sure they would brush away their complaints and ignore them- if they haven't done so already.
---
"It's time to call in the big guns."
Own:smilie smilie smilie smilie
spyrocynderfan7 Ripto Gems: 783
#219 Posted: 15:07:58 19/02/2011
Well for one thing...I'm not a girl, and I want to see Spyro and Cynder more involved (not to the extreme but at least a kiss or something), for another we know nothing about acti or how they feel.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#220 Posted: 15:29:48 19/02/2011
...........all of this makes me want my package from Amazon to come now. I need to make this video. Maybe, just maybe me saying it to their face will finally breach their thick skulls. I doubt it, but it's worth a shot.
#221 Posted: 17:03:00 19/02/2011
...Um, okay?
#222 Posted: 09:31:30 20/02/2011
Quote: CAV
...........all of this makes me want my package from Amazon to come now. I need to make this video. Maybe, just maybe me saying it to their face will finally breach their thick skulls. I doubt it, but it's worth a shot.

Could, that would be good.
---
I draw stuff.
#223 Posted: 15:19:35 20/02/2011
^Turns out the pakage was here yesterday, but they didn't ring the bell. Now I gotta wait til Tuesday to pick it up. smilie

Seriously though, all of these groups and users are making me sick. Sometimes I wonder if they only liked Classic Spyro for the design, rather than the gameplay.
#224 Posted: 15:31:30 20/02/2011
I wonder that, too, sometimes. Though, honestly, I think if Insomniac Spyro had been made now, he wouldn't look very different from Skylanders Spyro. He was never particularly pretty. smilie
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#225 Posted: 16:05:54 20/02/2011
I wonder that, too, sometimes. Though, honestly, I think if Insomniac Spyro had been made now, he wouldn't look very different from Skylanders Spyro. He was never particularly pretty. smilie

.....Probably due to PS1 graphics.....just look at Lara Craft(don't care if I spelled it wrong...)!smilie
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#226 Posted: 19:11:38 20/02/2011
...Despite his problems, I still think DotD Spyro looked the best- he looked the way I imagined dragons to be, majestic, epic- *shot*.
And, to be honest, when I was younger I never liked Spyro for his design, but rather the colourful lands and the fact I could play as a dragon(!)
---
#227 Posted: 19:14:27 20/02/2011
I never really cared about Spyro's design really, just the game I look for really.
---
I draw stuff.
#228 Posted: 19:16:24 20/02/2011
I'm a gameplay man myself....okay, AND music!smilie

DotD Spyro is tied for my favourite with StD Spyro.....weird, seeing as they are on opposite ends of the spectrum!smilie
---
#229 Posted: 19:20:16 20/02/2011
Quote: sonicbrawler182
I'm a gameplay man myself....okay, AND music!smilie

DotD Spyro is tied for my favourite with StD Spyro.....weird, seeing as they are on opposite ends of the spectrum!smilie

DotD gets bashed way too much, considering it's music, graphics and gameplay are an improvement over ANB and TEN... I wonder what the newcomers will think of it?
---
#230 Posted: 19:25:14 20/02/2011
One thing that annoys me is that people complain about re-used music in DotD....but the majority of tracks were brand new!smilie

Yeah, DotD is one of my favourite Spyro games...
(Hint: Play the Valley of Avalar chapter while playing the song "Windy & Co" from Conker: Live & Reloaded!smilie)

But Skylanders looks like a step down....however, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. It's not like it's REALLY a Spyro game anyway....
---
#231 Posted: 19:25:24 20/02/2011
Graphics and game designs aren't what I look at, only the story and gameplay pretty much. But I think the new members that come will be like us, half like it while the others won't care about it or not like it.
---
I draw stuff.
#232 Posted: 19:31:29 20/02/2011
I personally like re-used music- it makes you feel nostalgic! :3 And SSA looks so-far like a modernized classic- sorta reminds me of DK Country Returns or Rayman Origins, but with more focus on marketing and merchandising!

And I hope most of the new fans will respect the older games, even if they don't like them!
---
#233 Posted: 19:35:27 20/02/2011
Yeah, I like re-used music....nobody had a problem with it in Brawl....in fact, that game is widely regarded as one of the best VG soundtracks, it most of it's songs are remixes or re-used tracks!smilie

I hope they respect them too. =/
---
#234 Posted: 19:40:52 20/02/2011
I guess I do too, but they can dis like one though, I wouldn't really care about that. Everyone has to dis like somthing.
---
I draw stuff.
#235 Posted: 19:43:12 20/02/2011
No, they can dislike them, I just don't want more people flaming me for liking DotD and Cynder.
---
#236 Posted: 19:58:53 20/02/2011
^ Exactly. Though I can imagine that new pairings will be made by new fans (Stealth Elf and Spyro, etc.) and Cynder will be forgotten... Which I hope doesn't happen, since she's the most popular character from LoS, plus quite well-developed... Maybe she'll be in Spyro's universe during this game?
---
#237 Posted: 20:00:56 20/02/2011

All you have to do is remove the spots and the fangs, and make his eye color black and you basically have Classic Spyro. I don't get why anybody is whining when this design is closer to the original design than the LoS design was.
#238 Posted: 20:07:34 20/02/2011
I hope she comes back somehow(but please don't uglify her....I'm used to Teen Cynder, and don't want a repeat of her TEN in-game model....smilie). I sure as hell won't forget her. She gets so much hate, it's ridiculous. I hate when people say she "single-handedly ruined the fanbase"....it was US, the selfish, hypocritical, demanding fans that ruined the fanbase, not a fictional character.

Back on-topic, she could appear in Spyro's universe. Spyro's bio for Skylanders said he was a rare purple dragon, and that was a plot point of LoS. I'm not sure how they would link our world with the LoS universe though.
---
#239 Posted: 20:13:06 20/02/2011
^That's true. One character can't kill a franchise. Kinda like another franchise where one character is getting blamed for the death of it......

On topic: If each character got sucked out of their universe, then the ending would be to return. If they feel the need to use LoS, then yes, she could appear at the very end. And for all we know, they might make her an alternative skin/character that you can use when the Spyro toy is on the portal. Kinda like how they have Flame and Ember skins in AHT.
#240 Posted: 20:18:19 20/02/2011
Yeah, maybe they might do that....somehow though, I have a feeling she will be ditched. It happens to a lot of my favourite characters, and Cynder is my TOP favourite....

Out of curiosity, what franchise and character are you referring to?smilie
---
zzsdf Emerald Sparx Gems: 4173
#241 Posted: 20:18:37 20/02/2011
Quote: CAV
^That's true. One character can't kill a franchise. Kinda like another franchise where one character is getting blamed for the death of it......

On topic: If each character got sucked out of their universe, then the ending would be to return. If they feel the need to use LoS, then yes, she could appear at the very end. And for all we know, they might make her an alternative skin/character that you can use when the Spyro toy is on the portal. Kinda like how they have Flame and Ember skins in AHT.

It's a good idea but I doubt it'll be in the game. I hope I'm wrong.
ignitusforever Ripto Gems: 1788
#242 Posted: 21:34:23 20/02/2011
It never occured to me that a new fanbase would be joining, but the idea is scary. The wars will defintley get worse, espically since Skylanders is meant for younger kids. Younger kids + Online forum +The idea that your supposed to respect everyone's opinion= DISASTER!
Don't belive me? Go look at the offical Warrior Cats forum. The majourity of members there are younger kids.
If we do get a lot of younger kids joining here who all like Skylanders, I'll abandon this forum immideatley.
#243 Posted: 21:42:42 20/02/2011
Brace yourselves everybody. This will be one rocky venture.
#244 Posted: 22:38:09 20/02/2011
Oh, come on you guys. You're being very unfair to a bunch of people you've never met. I've met many Skylanders fans and they've all be nicer and more open-minded than all the classic and LoS fans combined. We could use more people like that in this fandom.

Ah, you Cynder fans think you've got it bad. At least you got three games with her. Try being an Elora fan. All we ever got to do was talk to her a few times and then she vanished. *sad face*
#245 Posted: 22:40:33 20/02/2011
Oh, come on you guys. You're being very unfair to a bunch of people you've never met. I've met many Skylanders fans and they've all be nicer and more open-minded than all the classic and LoS fans combined. We could use more people like that in this fandom.

Ah, you Cynder fans think you've got it bad. At least you got three games with her. Try being an Elora fan. All we ever got to do was talk to her a few times and then she vanished. *sad face*

I'm just applying Murphy's Law here to make a personal prediction.

I understand, your right, odds are we won't have problem with MOST fans. But for every bushel of apples there is ALWAYS that one bad apple. smilie

Know what I'm saying? smilie
#246 Posted: 22:48:18 20/02/2011
I try not to judge people in advance just because there might be one bad fan. If I did that, I wouldn't be able to talk to any of you after my experiences with Cynder fans. smilie

I've actually met Skylander fans and they're nice. In contrast, a lot of LoS and classic fans are being real jerks to anyone who likes Skylanders. Inevitably, I'm going to side with the people who are being civil. I honestly don't think a six-year-old is capable of spewing some of the hate I've seen coming out of other Spyro fans at various times.
#247 Posted: 23:00:43 20/02/2011
I wasn't speaking as much of the younger fans as much as the 10 and above fans. I've had bad experiences with 10-12 year olds. smilie

And I agree with you in the fact that there are a lot of Classic/LoS fans that are real jerks out there. But there are a few people who aren't violent when it comes to their games. smilie

Me, I'm a LoS fan, but unless someone says something that really P's me off, I understand and respect others opinions, no matter what their views are. Everyone has the right to their own opinions. It's really difficult to anger me to begin with...unless someone either A: flames me, B: is a total jerk to me, or C: challenges something I believe in to my face.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:01:27 20/02/2011 by spyrocynderfan7
#248 Posted: 23:37:24 20/02/2011
Quote: sonicbrawler182
Yeah, maybe they might do that....somehow though, I have a feeling she will be ditched. It happens to a lot of my favourite characters, and Cynder is my TOP favourite....

Out of curiosity, what franchise and character are you referring to?smilie

Cynder's gonna get scrapped. It's happened with several characters in several franchises.

And about the franchise and character I'm referring to:

[User Posted Image]

I've also ran into a few Skylander fans, and they are generally nice people, and they don't understand why they are under fire just for liking the game. They claim it's unfair and I certainly agree.

Ah, but Elora fans don't get criticized. If I had a nickel for every time I've been bashed just because I like Cynder, my family wouldn't be having the money issues they are having now, and I'd still have money to help someone else whom has fallen onto hard times. I've been called so many wonderous words just for liking DotD Cynder, and for liking the game of DotD in general. And don't get me started on Brawler.

It seems as though the more games she got, the more hate that was thrown in our way. I understand why you would hate the Cyndorks, because they obviously are missing the ability to think with the squishy organ that we call a brain. I dispise them as well. But fans that aren't completely nuts get generalized and placed in the same catagory and get so many insults thrown at them from a catapult. For liking a video game character?
#249 Posted: 23:50:18 20/02/2011
Alas, those of you who are decent Cynder fans are side-by-side to a very loud, very crude, very disgusting group of Cynder fans who don't know how to behave. It's those fans that turned my love for the character into unbridled hatred and why it's very difficult for me to even think about her without a knee-jerk reaction. I know not all Cynder fans are bad, but, unfortunately, I have legitimately had more encounters with bad fans than good. Doubly unfortunately, having liked the character from the start, I can tell you exactly when the bad Cynder fans showed up and that was when DotD was released.

There's nothing wrong with you for liking DotD or that version of Cynder, you're just in an unfortunate minority of people are nice fans of those two things. A large number of classic and LoS fans both got a lot of bashing from those bad Cynder fans early on and it has given most of them a bad taste in their mouths, to the point that they are always on the defensive about this subject. Taking it out on you guys is unfair for you but unfortunately understandable for those Spyro fans who've gotten the bad side of Cynder fans.

Speaking as one who has been on both sides of this, it is very difficult to disassociate the hate one feels for fans from the character that created those bad fans. Like I've said, I was the original Cyndork and she was the sole reason I ever played LoS to begin with. I did try to like her in DotD (design wise and in terms of gameplay, I did like her for a long time), but that horrid voice performance from Christina Ricci, Cynder behaving out of character (at least to my mind), and the avalanche of gross fans that came in because of that design were a combo I just couldn't withstand. From what I've seen, a lot of former Cynder fans feel the same way.

So...wait... You got bashed for liking Cynder by Elora fans? How? I've only met, like, two that aren't me. smilie I've seen some really nasty behavior from overzealous Ember fans, but I didn't think enough people even remembered Elora to do that.
#250 Posted: 00:09:44 21/02/2011
You know someone is bad when they take a person, and force them to hate the character. It's a shame that they brought you to the edge. But then again, I wouldn't dispise a character just because of the fandom surrounding it. As you see, I'm still a Cynder fan dispite the raging fanboys/girls that run rampant on sites like here or dA. I don't know whether or not to say that you overreacted, because I'm pretty sure that besides demanding more Cynder art, they haven't said anything to you that has already been said to me. Frankly, I laugh when I see a Cyndork, rather than get offended.

Well even I could tell you that all the raging fans came in when DotD was released. I thought it was common knowledge. smilie

No, there isn't anything wrong with it. But when it comes to all of the judgemental fans out there, yes it is. I saw people bashing average Cynder fans even before Cyndorks raged on them. It's fine to not like a character. It's fine to hate them with every fiber of your being. But there's no need to take it out on fans that did nothing to you to warrant personal insults. Me and Brawler come to mind about that.

I remember bieng 10 when I got ANB for Christmas. I was so shocked to learn that Cynder was female. My jaw dropped. smilie When I was reading Nintendo Power and I saw DotD in the preview page, I didn't see that much of a difference for some reason. I was staring at the designs for Spyro and Cynder, and I guess it didn't register in my mind that they were different. Hell, I thought Krome was still making the game. Don't blame me, I was only a 12 year old kid that knew nothing about the development world, and that the developer changed. I played the game. I loved it. The novelty of it has worn out and I can easily find flaws, but it's still a good game.

I don't mind the voice actress. For some reason, I find it difficult to tell between her and Whitman. The only time Ricci really bugged me is when you were to attack and you hear her scream "hi-ya!" which made me laugh my butt off.

And I seem to be the only person on the planet that likes the DotD design, without going overboard.

When did I say Elora fans bashed me? I didn't say that. If it looked like that I apologize. smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:11:36 21/02/2011 by CAV
First | Previous | Page 5 of 8 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me