Forum

Spyro: Shadow Legacy

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Cheetah Similarity [CLOSED]
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#1 Posted: 16:55:04 26/06/2010 | Topic Creator
I noticed that after you saved the Savannah from the Shadow Realm, there's a cheetah called Kasi who temporarily took charge of the village since the elder fell ill, and blames Spyro for bringing the Shadow Realm to their land since he's a purple dragon and he's magical. Kasi then puts Spyro in jail, along with Hunter, who defended Spyro of him not purposely bringing the Shadow Realm.

Does this sound familiar? A cheetah blames Spyro for bringing evil into their village and puts him in jail. It's almost similar to DotD, when Chief Prowlus puts Spyro, Cynder, and Hunter in chains, blaming the dragons for causing the misfortunes of the Cheetah Village and also blaming Hunter for bringing the dragons into their land.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#2 Posted: 22:50:49 27/06/2010
Quote: Aura24
I noticed that after you saved the Savannah from the Shadow Realm, there's a cheetah called Kasi who temporarily took charge of the village since the elder fell ill, and blames Spyro for bringing the Shadow Realm to their land since he's a purple dragon and he's magical. Kasi then puts Spyro in jail, along with Hunter, who defended Spyro of him not purposely bringing the Shadow Realm.

Does this sound familiar? A cheetah blames Spyro for bringing evil into their village and puts him in jail. It's almost similar to DotD, when Chief Prowlus puts Spyro, Cynder, and Hunter in chains, blaming the dragons for causing the misfortunes of the Cheetah Village and also blaming Hunter for bringing the dragons into their land.

yeah i noticed that to....i even played DotD again to find out the laeder cheetahs name in DotD
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#3 Posted: 05:16:10 29/06/2010 | Topic Creator
They almost have a similar motive.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#4 Posted: 10:46:35 29/06/2010
Probably because part of the Legend series' seems loosely based off this game (darker motif, health bar, combat, etc.)
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#5 Posted: 13:34:20 29/06/2010
They almost have a similar motive.

was'nt the name of the cheetah leader in DotD grevis or somthing? or have lived around my brother too long
---
#6 Posted: 15:14:21 29/06/2010 | Topic Creator
The cheetah in Shadow Legacy was temporarily leader of the village, and put Spyro and Hunter in jail after thinking Spyro is the one who brought the Shadow Realm.

Chief Prowlus in DotD was leader of the Cheetah Village and put the three main characters because of what happened to his tribe seemingly because of the dragons.
---
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9212
#7 Posted: 16:40:31 29/06/2010
Yes, I get the point now.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
#8 Posted: 19:10:13 29/06/2010
The cheetah in Shadow Legacy was temporarily leader of the village, and put Spyro and Hunter in jail after thinking Spyro is the one who brought the Shadow Realm.

Chief Prowlus in DotD was leader of the Cheetah Village and put the three main characters because of what happened to his tribe seemingly because of the dragons.

so i have living around my brother to long
---
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#9 Posted: 07:33:48 05/07/2010
What's wrong with your bro?
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
#10 Posted: 14:41:13 05/07/2010
two words:STARWARS fan......
---
Ice Dragoness Diamond Sparx Gems: 7896
#11 Posted: 15:42:36 28/08/2010
I have never noticed that before!
dingodile555 Gold Sparx Gems: 2674
#12 Posted: 22:01:34 29/08/2010
I do think LoS ripped off Shadow Legacy's ideas in a way.
#13 Posted: 08:15:47 27/09/2010
Aren't they both made by Sierra though?
---
I draw stuff.
#14 Posted: 13:17:46 27/09/2010
Sierra were just the publisher, they don't make the games. They just put them out. But maybe they saw how Shadow Legacy made Spyro 'dark' and 'cool' and thought "Since it was a DS-only game that most people didn't know about, we could recycle those good ideas for a much bigger game."
As well as the Cheetahs, they also took the idea of the Dark Master/Malefor straight from Shadow Legacy, as well as more general things.

Shadow Legacy is much better though, as it stayed true to the original series, which LoS did not.
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#15 Posted: 14:24:47 27/09/2010
There's a lot of similarities now that I think about it:

Combat
Sorcerer (similar to Malefor)
Cheetahs (how they treat Hunter)
Cheetah (in both games, one is injured/sick, and that is the one you must rescue to free Hunter)
Darker story
HP/MP meter
Unlimited Gems
Someone being used as a pawn who becomes good (Red, Cynder)
Level up bonuses
Sparx no longer being a meter
Many old abilities wiped (climb, swimming, etc.)

The only thing that really, really annoys me even more the fact they rebooted it in the first place (remember, I don't mind TLOS nowadays, but Sierra still annoy me for doing it in the first place) was that SL was received poorly - They did not possess the skills to make a good combat game, yet they tried to anyway.
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#16 Posted: 13:23:53 28/09/2010
Quote: Spyroo

Combat
Cheetah (in both games, one is injured/sick, and that is the one you must rescue to free Hunter)
Darker story
HP/MP meter
Unlimited Gems
Level up bonuses

The only thing that really, really annoys me even more the fact they rebooted it in the first place (remember, I don't mind TLOS nowadays, but Sierra still annoy me for doing it in the first place) was that SL was received poorly - They did not possess the skills to make a good combat game, yet they tried to anyway.

You got it. Although Shadow Legacy was more RPG with combat, whereas TLOS is pretty much straight combat. And I didn't even notice the Red-Cynder similarity. That's crazy. In ANB, Cynder was the main villain. In AHT, Red was the main villain. But after they're defeated, they turn out to be just brainwashed pawns of a greater evil, the Sorceror/Dark Master.

Was Shadow Legacy received poorly? i'll have to look that up. I don't really remember.
#17 Posted: 03:15:37 01/10/2010

Combat
Darker story
HP/MP meter
Unlimited Gems
Level up bonuses

Yes, I agree. Most things are the same in the games...
---
I draw stuff.
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#18 Posted: 23:05:54 01/10/2010
Quote: dingodile555

Combat
Darker story
HP/MP meter
Unlimited Gems
Level up bonuses

You got it. Although Shadow Legacy was more RPG with combat, whereas TLOS is pretty much straight combat. And I didn't even notice the Red-Cynder similarity. That's crazy. In ANB, Cynder was the main villain. In AHT, Red was the main villain. But after they're defeated, they turn out to be just brainwashed pawns of a greater evil, the Sorceror/Dark Master.

Was Shadow Legacy received poorly? i'll have to look that up. I don't really remember.

No wonder Spyro/Red was so popular after AHT! *shot*

Oh, but unlimited gems was introduced in that aforementiöned game. Gnasty may not be able to kill the dragons, but he sure can mess up their economy. smilie

And SL got mixed reviews while selling poorly.
---
Eh.
#19 Posted: 20:55:31 02/10/2010
They should have made it on other consoles then...
---
I draw stuff.
#20 Posted: 00:17:19 04/10/2010
They should have, really, if they wanted it to succeed. Even making a console version AFTER the original DS version, could have worked all the same. Rather than flushing it all down the ****ter and making 'A New Beginning'.

And Spyro/Red is just wrong! haha I mean come on!

Another thing that LoS took from Shadow Legacy.

This is the first boss in SL, the Ice Minion:
[User Posted Image]

And the first boss of A New Beginning, the Ice King:

[User Posted Image]
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:58:33 04/10/2010 by dingodile555
Jade Wolf Green Sparx Gems: 420
#21 Posted: 23:11:09 07/10/2010
Just goes to show that the creators weren't being very creative.
#22 Posted: 23:51:00 07/10/2010 | Topic Creator
They were using references. What's wrong with that?
---
#23 Posted: 00:59:49 08/10/2010
That's not references, that's nicking ideas..
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6071
#24 Posted: 03:16:42 08/10/2010
It helps that Chris Wilson and Mike Graham (the producers and writers of LoS) worked on Shadow Legacy. They pretty much just re-used all of those ideas and some from AHT for LoS (with a heavy dose of God of War, the new Star Wars trilogy, and the Lord of the Rings movies mixed in for added cliche...I mean flavor). There's an entire post somewhere on these boards describing the similarities between AHT/SL and LoS.

Here it is.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:18:52 08/10/2010 by Razz
#25 Posted: 20:14:00 08/10/2010 | Topic Creator
Quote: dingodile555
That's not references, that's nicking ideas..

SL was produced by the same producers who did the trilogy, dingo. What do you expect?
---
#26 Posted: 05:37:04 10/10/2010
Like what I said...

Quote: Bolt
Aren't they both made by Sierra though?
---
I draw stuff.
#27 Posted: 14:31:23 16/10/2010
Sierra were just the publishers, they don't really 'make' them.

Quote: Razz
It helps that Chris Wilson and Mike Graham (the producers and writers of LoS) worked on Shadow Legacy. They pretty much just re-used all of those ideas and some from AHT for LoS (with a heavy dose of God of War, the new Star Wars trilogy, and the Lord of the Rings movies mixed in for added cliche...I mean flavor). There's an entire post somewhere on these boards describing the similarities between AHT/SL and LoS.

Here it is.

Thank you. Haven't seen that before.
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#28 Posted: 15:17:31 16/10/2010
The only thing that makes me raise an eyebrow is the fact that Gaul never worked for Cynder. Then again, that could just be an ironed out version of the story that was imposed onto AHT with SL.
---
Eh.
#29 Posted: 04:58:14 17/10/2010
Yeah, like the Sorcerer controlled Red.
---
I draw stuff.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7089
#30 Posted: 12:02:31 09/04/2011
These are some neat discoveries!smilie
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#31 Posted: 18:31:24 09/04/2011
Like I've said several times before, LoS is just AHT/SL with all the light hearted fun sucked out. This is just further evidence.
#32 Posted: 18:58:50 09/04/2011
Light hearted fun sucked out?
LoS had plenty!
---
#33 Posted: 21:15:55 09/04/2011
Not really, it tries to be dead serious
#34 Posted: 21:32:06 09/04/2011
Didn't seem that way to me...
---
#35 Posted: 19:14:25 10/04/2011
I'm with Dingodile on this one. What little humor there was came about entirely because of Sparx (who's only purpose was to be comedic relief) and always felt forced. I laughed a lot harder at the stuff that was trying too hard to be serious (which was pretty much everything that wasn't a forced Sparx joke smilie).

For the curious, here's the LoS = AHT/SL - fun thread.
#36 Posted: 20:28:36 10/04/2011
I remember lot's of humour outside of Sparx...and I haven't played the games in an age.
---
SpyroVSGanon100 Ripto Gems: 94
#37 Posted: 06:24:08 04/05/2011
Friken Malefor went back in time!
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me