Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Random Skylanders Thoughts
BlueFox Emerald Sparx Gems: 3096
#1 Posted: 21:12:17 05/10/2020 | Topic Creator
That scrapped Trap Team level about rescuing Gillmen from being turned into chum has got me messed up. There's a real dark underbelly to some of the backstories. Cyclopses eat Mabu? Unicorns are poached? The Dragon Hunter exists?

And then I remember this franchise has a Guacamole Monster, and all is right again.
---
Where’s the account deletion button when you need one?
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#2 Posted: 22:48:59 05/10/2020
Happy to see you active again, even if just a little!

Where did you hear about that level? That's wild. Skylanders is ripe for a dark underbelly to it's happy to lucky lore.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#3 Posted: 23:07:29 05/10/2020 | Topic Creator
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

Where did you hear about that level? That's wild. Skylanders is ripe for a dark underbelly to it's happy to lucky lore.

Aww, shucks. Watching the playthroughs of Crash 4 got me missing Skylanders, and so here I am.

[User Posted Image]

http://laurieannfranks.com/

Uncle Beardypants’ Chum! Reminds me of the ending to Dog’s Life.
---
#4 Posted: 00:36:47 06/10/2020
Quote: BlueFox

Aww, shucks. Watching the playthroughs of Crash 4 got me missing Skylanders, and so here I am.

[User Posted Image]

http://laurieannfranks.com/

Uncle Beardypants’ Chum! Reminds me of the ending to Dog’s Life.

TfB did a very Skylander job, yeah?

Holy ****, they actually almost did it. That's wild!
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#5 Posted: 05:10:29 06/10/2020 | Topic Creator
I honestly liked having Storyteller Skylanders. The little bit of extra dialogue provided with Buzz in Superchargers was cool, too. I wish the games actually allowed them to be characters more often. The voice actors don't even remember playing them. Granted, I imagine the recording sessions aren't that long—the most a Skylander does is say quippy one-liners. So many of them are just the fun hero archetype. I want more than that. I guess if Skylanders were to ever return, I'd like Story Dungeons to be a main series feature. That'd be rad.
---
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3859
#6 Posted: 20:41:16 06/10/2020
seconded.
i'd love to see more character exploration for skylanders in a mainline game. we got a little of that with the show and comics (and i think roh? haven't really played it), but i feel like perhaps it'd give any new games some more depth. plus, more people might get attached to the characters, which could extend the franchise.
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
cookieeater Gold Sparx Gems: 2468
#7 Posted: 00:14:50 07/10/2020
a character i want to see more exploration for is roller brawl
---
my fursona is a hot dog
#8 Posted: 02:52:35 07/10/2020 | Topic Creator
I wish I could connect to this community more. Find some like-minded people to talk about lore bibles and character headcanons with.
---
#9 Posted: 03:16:18 07/10/2020
I wish I could connect to this community more. Find some like-minded people to talk about lore bibles and character headcanons with.

Honestly, skylanders more and headcanons is one of my favorite subjects for the franchise.
---
#10 Posted: 22:09:32 07/10/2020 | Topic Creator

Honestly, skylanders more and headcanons is one of my favorite subjects for the franchise.

If I ever actually finish anything, I'll be sure to post them here. I'm a very slow writer, apparently.

It's pretty cool to see that some people are becoming nostalgic for Skylanders. I've seen a few pieces of fan art get a lot of positive reception recently, with comments referencing childhood memories. It's almost Cynder Day, and I've got something planned. I'm going to use the respective hashtags and see what happens on my end.
---
#11 Posted: 22:21:23 07/10/2020
eyyy can't wait to see what you make, blue!
i've posted a couple of skylanders things on tumblr. it's been a while, but there seems to be some amount of audience for skylanders art there. there might be some good skylanders groups on da as well. twitter seems to be a bit of a crapshoot in general. not sure about other sites, though
---
#12 Posted: 22:52:31 07/10/2020 | Topic Creator
Quote: ThunderEgg
eyyy can't wait to see what you make, blue!
i've posted a couple of skylanders things on tumblr. it's been a while, but there seems to be some amount of audience for skylanders art there. there might be some good skylanders groups on da as well. twitter seems to be a bit of a crapshoot in general. not sure about other sites, though

I tried Tumblr, but nothing I did was showing up in the tags haha. I literally just took it down. I read I have to be more active in order to be recognized as a human being and not a bot. Anyway, yeah, there's definitely a small community up there, so I'll be back once I get a few more drawings going.
---
#13 Posted: 02:45:03 08/10/2020

Honestly, Skylanders and more headcanons is one of my favorite subjects for the franchise.

If I ever actually finish anything, I'll be sure to post them here. I'm a very slow writer, apparently.

It's pretty cool to see that some people are becoming nostalgic for Skylanders. I've seen a few pieces of fan art get a lot of positive reception recently, with comments referencing childhood memories. It's almost Cynder Day, and I've got something planned. I'm going to use the respective hashtags and see what happens on my end.

I find myself still thinking of headcanons and stories even after all these years. I've been replaying the series starting with Giants and there's just so much potential for the world.
---
#14 Posted: 04:53:15 08/10/2020 | Topic Creator
I find myself still thinking of headcanons and stories even after all these years. I've been replaying the series starting with Giants and there's just so much potential for the world.

Rad. I'm happy to see Skylanders fanfiction still being made.

Forever upset Imaginators used stock music. I don't remember a single track from that game. I-It just...that game just isn't good haha. Didn't feel nearly as epic as Superchargers. I'm not a fan of the vehicle zones, but the story and cinematics were really something.
---
#15 Posted: 07:36:14 08/10/2020 | Topic Creator
I really don't like that we have an ugly riot cop as a Skylander. High Volt's design makes me cringe in all sorts of ways. Wonder how I could reimagine him.
---
#16 Posted: 14:54:27 08/10/2020
Imaginators as a whole is the most mixed bag in the series, by far. Amazing gimmick, by far the best since SF, but as a result, it sacrificed so much.
---
#17 Posted: 16:37:32 08/10/2020
I really don't like that we have an ugly riot cop as a Skylander. High Volt's design makes me cringe in all sorts of ways. Wonder how I could reimagine him.

wtf, that's what he is?! i always thought he was some sort of sentient wall. never read his backstory until now. that's... uh...
---
#18 Posted: 18:36:16 08/10/2020 | Topic Creator

wtf, that's what he is?! i always thought he was some sort of sentient wall. never read his backstory until now. that's... uh...

Lmao, sentient wall. But, yyyeah, he’s a cop.

So I just left one of the Skylanders Discord servers. What’s up with this fandom and casual bigotry? I’ve had it up to here. Pride icons for Skylanders are that offensive to you? Let people have fun. Ugh, it makes me so mad.
---
cookieeater Gold Sparx Gems: 2468
#19 Posted: 21:10:52 08/10/2020

Lmao, sentient wall. But, yyyeah, he’s a cop.

So I just left one of the Skylanders Discord servers. What’s up with this fandom and casual bigotry? I’ve had it up to here. Pride icons for Skylanders are that offensive to you? Let people have fun. Ugh, it makes me so mad.

can i know which one where I can avoid it?
---
my fursona is a hot dog
#20 Posted: 22:13:09 08/10/2020 | Topic Creator
Quote: cookieeater
can i know which one where I can avoid it?

Sent you a PM.

How we feeling about that Twitter leaker, huh? I don’t believe her, but it has people talking about the franchise so I’ll take it.
---
#21 Posted: 07:27:24 09/10/2020 | Topic Creator
Skylanders Academy is bad, all my homies hate Skylanders Academy.
---
#22 Posted: 10:01:42 09/10/2020

What? Why? It's not perfect but I love it!
---
#23 Posted: 10:22:50 09/10/2020 | Topic Creator

It didn't jell with me. I stopped watching very early on. I just would've preferred something different. Less comedy-based and more story-driven and definitely canon. I wanted a series more inline with what IDW set forth. I know asking for an action cartoon is a lot nowadays though.
---
#24 Posted: 12:50:35 09/10/2020

It didn't jell with me. I stopped watching very early on. I just would've preferred something different. Less comedy-based and more story-driven and definitely canon. I wanted a series more inline with what IDW set forth. I know asking for an action cartoon is a lot nowadays though.

Okay, a valid reason, especially on the canon aspect. I would have loved for the series to have been canonical to the games. And what you want is actually something I would have preferred as well, while also keeping the level of comedy.
---
#25 Posted: 14:08:18 09/10/2020 | Topic Creator
I’ve noticed I don’t like Flynn all too much. It seems like the writers were trying too hard to be funny. Sometimes a joke lands, and he gets a small chuckle from me, but not very often. And the flirting with Cali and Tessa? Nope, don’t like that.
---
#26 Posted: 14:31:10 09/10/2020
I personally love him, but he's definitely hit for miss, especially in Trap Team.
---
#27 Posted: 17:16:43 09/10/2020
yeah, i agree he's hit or miss. from what i recall, his characterization seemed to change somewhat as the games progressed.

the 'boom' catchphrase was kinda fun, but i think it got dragged out over time. i think flynn got annoying for me by swap force.

i liked how the games eventually expanded the supporting cast of characters. it would be interesting to have all of the original supporting npcs totally phased out over time. ngl, i got bored of cali, flynn, and hugo eventually. i feel like those three got stagnant after a while. what's their deal? why are they always around the skylanders? i thought that was eon's gig.
---
#28 Posted: 21:12:45 09/10/2020 | Topic Creator
i liked how the games eventually expanded the supporting cast of characters. it would be interesting to have all of the original supporting npcs totally phased out over time. ngl, i got bored of cali, flynn, and hugo eventually. i feel like those three got stagnant after a while. what's their deal? why are they always around the skylanders? i thought that was eon's gig.

I was kind of hoping Flynn, Cali, and Hugo would be phased out, too. Same with having Kaos over and over again as the a villain. I know the Swap Force NPCs aren’t exactly fan favorites, but they were something new.
---
#29 Posted: 22:44:31 09/10/2020

I was kind of hoping Flynn, Cali, and Hugo would be phased out, too. Same with having Kaos over and over again as the a villain. I know the Swap Force NPCs aren’t exactly fan favorites, but they were something new.

On SF's NPCs, Sharpfin was a wonderful addition to the main cast.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:56:07 09/10/2020 by HeyitsHotDog
#30 Posted: 23:01:51 09/10/2020 | Topic Creator
On SF's NPCs, Sharpfin was a _wonderful_ addition to the main cast.

Oh yeah, he’s a cool dude.

Seeing people really respond to my version of Fryno gets me all fuzzy inside. I never did get to settle on a design for his demon dad. One step at a time, though. I have a lot to work on lmao.
---
#31 Posted: 23:09:22 09/10/2020

Seeing people really respond to my version of Fryno gets me all fuzzy inside. I never did get to settle on a design for his demon dad. One step at a time, though. I have a lot to work on lmao.

Oh yeah! I remember loving your Fryno! You gotta share your art again! It's always a treat to see!

I also love the demon dad idea, it makes so much sense!
---
#32 Posted: 23:32:49 09/10/2020 | Topic Creator

Oh yeah! I remember loving your Fryno! You gotta share your art again! It's always a treat to see!

[User Posted Image]

Thanks! I did this a few days ago. I can only draw him from the side, unfortunately, and that can get repetitive.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:33:17 09/10/2020 by BlueFox
#33 Posted: 00:03:09 10/10/2020

[User Posted Image]

Thanks! I did this a few days ago. I can only draw him from the side, unfortunately, and that can get repetitive.

Are there any places I can follow you, actually? I'd love to keep up to date! He looks amazing, btw!
---
#34 Posted: 00:17:32 10/10/2020 | Topic Creator
Are there any places I can follow you, actually? I'd love to keep up to date! He looks amazing, btw!

I'm not really active anywhere, sorry haha. I suffer from a terrible inner critic, so I don't usually post my artwork. But thanks for the interest!
---
#35 Posted: 01:20:09 10/10/2020

I'm not really active anywhere, sorry haha. I suffer from a terrible inner critic, so I don't usually post my artwork. But thanks for the interest!

That's fine! Don't fret!
---
#36 Posted: 18:30:15 10/10/2020
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Sharpfin was fantastic.

#bringbacksharpfin

i also remember enjoying tessa and mags!

i think this sort of loops around to the skylanders as npcs topic. (were we talking about that here, or was it elswhere..?) honestly, i'm starting to think that was a good way to go, even if it was a little funky that you could be playing as, say eruptor and interacting with eruptor as an npc. works better with the beta concept of skylanders as little random soldier dudes who you could give names and customize.
---
#37 Posted: 20:08:34 10/10/2020 | Topic Creator
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Sharpfin was fantastic.

#bringbacksharpfin

i also remember enjoying tessa and mags!

i think this sort of loops around to the skylanders as npcs topic. (were we talking about that here, or was it elswhere..?) honestly, i'm starting to think that was a good way to go, even if it was a little funky that you could be playing as, say eruptor and interacting with eruptor as an npc. works better with the beta concept of skylanders as little random soldier dudes who you could give names and customize.

Tessa's my favorite.

Yeah, I remember a few fans weren't too pleased with the funkiness. I personally don't care too much haha.

Speaking of Eruptor, I don't altogether mind how he was portrayed in Imaginators. I know he's supposed to be hot-tempered, but he's also been depicted otherwise, such as in promotional material. For example, the Swap Force E3 presentation. He's a goofball.
---
#38 Posted: 03:03:44 11/10/2020
tbh all i remember about his characterization in imaginators was that he got an upset stomach in his level and ended up doing a lava barf. i don't remember much about the interactions spyro, gill grunt, or any of the other skylanders, so i think that's a good-ish sign.
---
#39 Posted: 05:07:20 11/10/2020 | Topic Creator
That's pretty much the extent of his character haha. He was very one-note. Was just afraid of everything and had terrible nausea. I don't think he had really strong characterization, but eh, that's how the cookie crumbles.
---
#40 Posted: 10:14:53 11/10/2020 | Topic Creator
I’ve spent too much time fixated on this franchise. I shouldn’t have watched those Crash 4 playthroughs, oof. I was having a grand time and then wham—Skylanders. Nostalgia hit hard. I think there’s some loose ends I need to patch up before I can finally leave this series behind.
---
#41 Posted: 23:30:14 11/10/2020 | Topic Creator
I don't know how to manage knowing Skylanders at some point supported Autism Speaks. I want to take this franchise away from Activision so bad. Can I condemn their decision and still enjoy the series? I need to ask around.
---
#42 Posted: 00:07:33 12/10/2020
I don't know how to manage knowing Skylanders at some point supported Autism Speaks. I want to take this franchise away from Activision so bad. Can I condemn their decision and still enjoy the series? I need to ask around.

Absolutely! The series, like with me, means so much to you and you have every right to love it to the absolute max. Don't let Acti ruin it for you.
---
#43 Posted: 00:48:15 12/10/2020 | Topic Creator

Absolutely! The series, like with me, means so much to you and you have every right to love it to the absolute max. Don't let Acti ruin it for you.

There's no denying I am still fond of Skylanders haha. I blast the soundtrack on the daily now. Outside of Activsion, there's still elements I find problematic, but most of them are because of long-standing fantasy tropes.
---
#44 Posted: 16:40:07 12/10/2020 | Topic Creator
Operation: Get Toys For Bob To Notice Me. I'll strike as soon as I can.

They totally won't notice me lmao.
---
#45 Posted: 16:42:40 12/10/2020

hmmm. try dming 'hi' to the twitter of everyone involved in the games

this is sarcasm, please don't. i do wish you good luck, though
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:44:44 12/10/2020 by ThunderEgg
#46 Posted: 17:07:56 12/10/2020 | Topic Creator

hmmm. try dming 'hi' to the twitter of everyone involved in the games

this is sarcasm, please don't. i do wish you good luck, though

Lol thanks. Heading to Twitter is exactly the idea. I've noticed a small community there, too. There's a tweet once in a while that gets them out of the shadows. This is actually a comfort series to a bunch of people.
---
#47 Posted: 01:16:48 13/10/2020 | Topic Creator
Maybe I just shouldn’t interact with the fandom? I see too many things that frustrate me. Let me just get back to my corner.
---
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me