Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Previous | Page 7 of 50 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 48 49 50
Legend of Orion: Dark Times (open) [CLOSED]
A Guy Emerald Sparx Gems: 3639
#301 Posted: 00:19:14 05/08/2018
"Let's get one thing straight," Latnok said. "You're not going to be insulting Veris. He is highly valuable to us - many of the men in our organization would be easier to replace than a wyvern of Veris' caliber. He is perfectly capable of communicating his wants, and things he doesn't like. He is one of us, as far as I'm concerned. Is that clear?
"Good. Then take a minute or two to cool off and forget this whole thing ever happened. Come get me when you're ready to keep learning." Latnok sipped on a canteen to slake the thirst caused by the brew. "Remember: you will get out what you put in."
---
I'm just... a guy...
redwes Diamond Sparx Gems: 8550
#302 Posted: 00:33:40 05/08/2018
OOC: I'll post more about the dream once I'm on a computer. smilie

As the others trained or slept-- Raclaw and Shade remained in the same trance-like state. If anyone were to peer into his mind, they would simply see... nothing. It was as his body was still in this world, but his mind was somewhere else. It was evident, however, that something was going on and that the fur dragon's mental abilities were actively being used for something.
---
<[ I’m Darin the gryphon! *screech* Want to know more or ask a question?]
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:40:42 05/08/2018 by redwes
Felines Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10223
#303 Posted: 01:09:34 05/08/2018
Quote: A Guy
"Let's get one thing straight," Latnok said. "You're not going to be insulting Veris. He is highly valuable to us - many of the men in our organization would be easier to replace than a wyvern of Veris' caliber. He is perfectly capable of communicating his wants, and things he doesn't like. He is one of us, as far as I'm concerned. Is that clear?
"Good. Then take a minute or two to cool off and forget this whole thing ever happened. Come get me when you're ready to keep learning." Latnok sipped on a canteen to slake the thirst caused by the brew. "Remember: you will get out what you put in."

Angora said nothing, even though she really wanted to. She didn't like insulting Veris when he has been the only one asides Maverick to show her any kind of sympathy, but he was sickenly obedient to every command that it was hard for Angora to respect him. Listening to his suggestions, Angora got to a corner to calm herself, with Maverick behind her but giving her enough space. She wanted to enter the small crack where Veris got stuck in, but she remember that had been in the other cave, and unfortunately, there was nothing of the sort there. This one was far more spacious, so there could be more room for Angora to be away with Latnok for a while.

Maverick wanted to be with her every step of the way, and was even willing to help her with the night watch even if that meant depriving himself from sleep. Unlike the troll, he hasn't slept during the day, so it was going to be harder for him. He didn't care. Hey owed it to Angora for abandoning her. As the troll vented, Maverick looked at the wyvern with much concern. He hoped the creature was sound asleep, for if he was as intelligent as Latnok claimed, he didn't want Angora having someone else despising her for her behavior, especially someone like that giant animal.
---
Real friends will be there... when you need them the most.
#304 Posted: 22:58:43 05/08/2018
Meanwhile within the dream...
Quote: Spyroconvexity
Shades belly growled “oh I’m hungry.”

Raclaw's stomach growled as well, as per the memory. "Then you're in for a treat-- my guardians used to love to spoil me particularly on days such as this one. I think they felt that as if had to, as if to make up for all the normal things a fur dragon would've done in their early childhood had they not been in my position.," Raclaw said smelling the sweet and oddly familiar smell of something in the air. "Is that.. is that Rainbow Fish? Come on-- its this way.," he then quickly said increasing his pace and almost sprinting along the trail. To the left of the straight dirt path, a large fenced in area full of cows could be seen. And to the right, another large pin could be seen but this time filled with horses of varying colors.

Occasionally, an older looking or slightly injured animal could be seen. "My parents-- err guardians loved to take care of all animals including those that been injured or abused. I think that's why they were chosen by Julian when he found me. I believe he wanted me in the friendliest loving safe environment possible ... and they fit that bill." Raclaw said thinking back to what he knew now about his past. Soon-- a large farmhouse could be seen up ahead and an clearing where two humans awaited the duo. Raclaw paused for a moment before continuing. "Come on-- I know you're hungry. And we got a surprise for you!," a male voice could be heard clearly coming from one of the two humans. "I should warn you-- this is only a memory. During this time, I had no verbal communication with the humans as these humans speak a different dialect than most. That also means they won't understand you, as you are a stand-in for the German Shepherd to whom also had no direct verbal communication with them. Are you ready?," he then asked looking at the Dragolet.

In the real world-- Raclaw actually twitched slightly almost appearing as if he were sniffing something and moving his legs slightly.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 23:09:09 05/08/2018 by redwes
Spyroconvexity Hunter Gems: 8581
#305 Posted: 23:09:19 05/08/2018 | Topic Creator
Shade nodded. “I’ll try.” He then wagged his tail.

In the real world Shade moved his tail slightly.
---
SC
#306 Posted: 23:24:05 05/08/2018
Angora paced, trying to quietly blow off some steam. She breathed deeply and massaged her head, trying to forget that she was angry and trying to recollect the few happy memories of her life. With her family, they were little to none, but with Maverick back then, when she had finally grown fond of him, she used to have so much fun. He was still annoying, but she was happy those nights where the crew was sleeping and she and the young first mate played games in his cabin. Him not going with her in that town when she left the crew was the equivalent of a betrayal for the then much smaller troll, which explained her antagonism towards the hybrid despite his best attempts to rekindle their lost friendship.

After a while, Maverick decided to stop watching Angora and went further away from her to give her more space, noticing the sleeping dragons. Whatever dream they were having, he was glad it was seemingly pleasant. It almost made him sleepy as well. With everything quiet, he could see the variety of dragons in that cave. Raclaw was adorable with all that fluff, Orion was the biggest, yet the most gentle looking. Despite his overwhelming appearance, Maverick has ignored him due to wanting to deny he had the true Galaxy dragon himself in his presence. It was just too incredible to be true. He wanted to take things one step at a time. He looked at the other dragons he hadn't met yet, like Slumber and Darkheart. The former looked quite harmless with her mellow face and pretty coloring, and despite Darkheart being tall and dark colored, she was skinny and not so scary looking when seen closely. The only ones Maverick genuinely feared were Shade, with his nearly all black coloration, odd extremities and yellow eyes contrasting with his scales, and Veris, the gluttonous wyvern that, after Orion, was the biggest dragon of the group. From never seeing a dragon to seeing a lot of variety in one day. It was quite the event for Maverick.
---
#307 Posted: 23:28:55 05/08/2018
As Latnok sat around, waiting for Angora, he noted Raclaw and Shade moving slightly, even though he couldn't feel their mental presence. At the very least, they weren't completely immobile - their movements seemed to be somewhat related. Probably just some old memory sharing to calm Shade down, Latnok thought. Though his presumption was correct, he was unaware of just how deep they were in the memory.
Just in case they didn't wake on their own, Latnok grabbed his resonating chime. What was normally a very pleasant tune when used in harmony with the user's magic was a horribly shrill and grating sound without it - perfect for waking up anything which could hear it if more physical means weren't desired.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#308 Posted: 23:54:57 05/08/2018
Angora wanted the night to be over already, but she knew that the more you dislike something, the more it lasts, so she knew she just couldn't wait for the sun to appear in the horizon, especially in this forsaken place where time probably worked different, not to mention Latnok was not going to wait forever. So after a few minutes, she looked around to see if there was something she could entertain herself with, and spotted Maverick trying to get a better look at Veris. Since Shade and Raclaw seemed to be having o,easing dreams and the others were unknown to him, the wyvern was the closest one he could examine. He seemed to be the only one deeply asleep. The troll saw him and grinned, having fun with his cautious approach.
"Come on Malo, still afraid of this silly wyvern? You've seen him. He is blindly obedient to that tall human. He wouldn't hurt a fly unless he's ordered to." Angora assured, wanting Magerick to stop with the paranoia already even though it was fun seeing him that way.
"I'm not afraid! I'm just... cautious. You don't see dragons at sea." Maverick assured, wanting to get accostumed to the presence of dragons if he was to hang around the group, though deeply inside, he simply wanted to lose his fear of Veris so Sere could invite him for a ride. Him riding the mighty wyvern still lingered in his mind, and he really wanted to try it.
"Well, this one is just a big, scaly doggie. And he... tolerates me." Angora said, almost saying like but after all that has happened, she wasn't certain if Veris was truly fond of her or if he was under orders...
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:57:50 06/08/2018 by Felines
#309 Posted: 00:00:53 06/08/2018
Meanwhile within the dream...
Shade nodded. “I’ll try.” He then wagged his tail.

"Alright-- let's do this.," Raclaw said said with a nod stepping forward alongside Shade. "Raclaw! Shade! There you are-- who's my favorite favorite fur dragon? And of course my favorite Dragolet!," the two humans said now becoming clearly visible and expecting some sort of reaction. The two humans appeared to be slightly older and seemed friendly enough-- with the visibly younger Raclaw running up and almost jumping up on who he once saw as his human 'mother.' "You're grown haven't you? How are your abilities developing-- anything? And I bet you know what day it is don't you?," she asked with Raclaw jumping down and responding in a way much how like the Guardians viewed Veris. To the first question and third question, he gave an confirmative nod giving a more excited nod to the last question. In contrast, he gave a solemn nod to the second question concerning his then developing abilities. For a brief moment, he could feel the same disappointment and excitement he had felt then.

"Wait here-- Shade... Raclaw... sit and stay.," the 'father' then said as they both briefly went inside to presumily get something. Raclaw did so instantly, sitting on command similar to that of a dog obeying its master. He motioned for Shade to do the same and knew how silly the scene must of looked. His was an intelligent, albeit currently young, fur dragon taking orders and sitting like a dog. If the collar, some of his odd quirks, and the little bits of information gleamed through the links didn't show it-- this new experience did and proved just how dog-like he once was. This was a point in his life where he had started to see that there more to the world, but was still very much content with his then current life.

In the real world-- Raclaw looked up slightly and was now moving his tail as well.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:11:10 06/08/2018 by redwes
#310 Posted: 01:12:33 06/08/2018
Deciding to pass the time while waiting for Angora to be ready, Latnok kneeled beside Raclaw, being more concerned for him than Shade. "Hey, buddy," he said, "are you all right? Don't need any food now, do you?" He was going to leave it there, but decided to lighten the mood. "Hey, Raclaw, if you can't hear me, don't say anything!"
---
I'm just... a guy...
#311 Posted: 01:19:07 06/08/2018
In the meantime, Angora was still talking with Maverick, as he still pitifully tried to overcome his fear.
"I'd... rather see the creature from a distance. It needs it's beauty sleep." Maverick said after Angora tried to convince him to get a closer look. But the troll found his concern both amusing and annoying.
"Come on Malo. Is this the attitude of a former pirate?" Angora said, but Maverick just shushed her.
"Those days are behind me Angorita. Now will you let me do things my way por favor?" Maverick begged, hating to be reminded that he was a pirate before.
"You're such a cowardly baby. Look look, he's just a big, scaly softie..." Angora said as she approached the sleeping wyvern and rested her back on his snout to prove her point. Maverick however, was as white as the snow.
"Angorita! Stop that! Now por favor! Please! Don't wake him up! Just... come here!" the nervous Maverick said, sweating with nervousness. Angora has always been reckless and fearless, but she was taking things way too far in his view. The mount could suddenly wake up and attack her or even accidentally eat her with a yawn, and despite the hybrid desperately beckoning her to come, Angora simply kept it up, enjoying his terror and how ridiculous he looked...
---
#312 Posted: 01:48:00 06/08/2018
As Latnok gently spoke to him, Raclaw's stomach growled-- possibly some sort of reaction or perhaps simply an unconscious action. He provided no other 'reaction' and simply continued to twitch according to the ongoing dream. He was actually hungry in real life and hadn't eaten since before they left the last shelter, although he was currently unable to admit it or act upon his hunger. The current events in the dream weren't helping matters.
---
#313 Posted: 01:59:02 06/08/2018 | Topic Creator
Shade sat as Raclaw told him. He was a little curious himself.

In the real world Shades stomach growled as well.
---
SC
#314 Posted: 02:57:43 07/08/2018
In the dream...

Raclaw looked at Shade as he sat trying to imagine what it would've actually would've been like for his human guardians to have been forced to raised two dragon-like creatures. He recalled back to his even earlier days-- back when he was still getting a handle of how to and how to not interact with his human 'parents.' He had always tried to be as gentle as he could be with those who raised him, but they didn't go completely unscathed. He recalled having a bad dream once and having accidently scratched one of them upon waking him, much to his shame at the time. Regardless, he still grew up to be much tamer than anyone probably expected. Even if his old home wasn't his intended destination-- he had a good life and couldn't blame his guardians for anything that had been taken away from him. They were simply trying their best and giving him the best life possible considering the circumstances.

As they waited for what probably seemed like an eternity to the Dragolet, the two humans soon came out carrying two trays of... something delicious smelling. Raclaw instinctively perked up as the smells filled his nasal cavities. "Raclaw-- you've been with us 12 years now and we've been happy to see you grow and develop into who you are now. We know you'll want to eventually experience more of the world and wanted to give you a little taste of possible things to come; and the amazing things we're sure you'll experience. We spoke with a trader at the marketplace today-- he mentioned seeing another of your kind accompanied by an armored human. Whatever you do and wherever you go one day, just know that you're not alone. And although I'm sure this doesn't seem important to you now, perhaps this will give you a taste of things to come.," the male human said placing a tray down in front of Raclaw. He waited and merely looked up at his 'father' as if to let him finish.

"It's-- it's called a Rainbow Fish and apparently its a delicacy according to the trader and the human he spoke to. And don't worry Shade, we didn't forget about you. Just try to enjoy it and eat it slowly-- this is a special fish.," the 'mother' than said placing another tray on the ground towards Shade. On the tray lied what appeared to be two grilled fish almost looking like that of salmon, but more tanish in color other than a single pink streak in the middle. The tray near Raclaw contained two nearly whole-looking fish, while the one near Shade contained two identical looking fish albeit cut up into more bite-sized pieces. Raclaw looked down at the fish and at a Shade, realizing that maybe they had just learned something new about his past. However, the smell of the fish was too tantalizing. "Come on-- eat. You too Shade.," one of the humans then said with a smile.
---
#315 Posted: 03:54:41 07/08/2018 | Topic Creator
Shade sniffed it and took a bite of fish. He purred in pleasure as he tasted it.
---
SC
#316 Posted: 05:42:29 07/08/2018
OOC: Good thing I had salmon today. I would've gone hungry reading that smilie

While Raclaw and Shade were lost in the alternate memory, Angora was still having a playful time with Maverick. She decided to escalate his fear, and instead of resting her back against the humongous wyvern's snout, she climbed over it like a small hill, placing herself right above it.
"You see? Nothing's happening to me. Tell you what? If you get a closer look, I'll jump to your arms. How about that?" Angora suggested, wanting Maverick to be face to face with the sleeping animal. Maverick was still too afraid, and was growing tired of Angora's cruel game.
"Angorita por favor! You're going too far! Please just come!" he continued begging, but he knew the troll. She wouldn't budge unless she had her way. Wanting to trust she would keep her promise, Maverick cautiously got closer, to the point where he could see fangs bigger than his head and feel the air of the wyvern's powerful nostrils threatening to blow him away. He really was an enormous animal, probably bigger than the rest of the flying reptiles there except for the mighty Orion himself.

Angora watched in amusement how Maverick cautiously approached the slumbering dragon, going slower than a snail. Even though watching his terrified face was fun, Angora knew she wasn't going to tolerate the young man being terrified of the dragons for the entire journey. As fun as it was right now, it was going to get annoying after a while, so she wanted to make sure he overcame his fear. Despite Veris not being the biggest dragon, he was the scariest one in appearance, so if Maverick could overcome him in particular, the troll was certain the rest won't be terrifying at all anymore...
---
#317 Posted: 05:59:44 07/08/2018
OOC: Now I want to try Rainbow Fish. xD

(Post later today...)
---
#318 Posted: 15:07:02 07/08/2018
Veris, seemingly completely unaware, remained docile and static, with th exception of the occasional tongue flick, out of habit rather than in response to any particular stimulus outside, and some minor tail movement. It would seem that he, too, was well-versed in deep sleep.

Latnok continued to monitor Raclaw and Shade. Noticing the stomach growls, he set his tarp up near them, leaving them a choice between catwolf meat and mudskipper meat. How to get the troll to just think about quick reacting without focusing on other things... After some brief deliberation, an idea came to him.
Facing a wall, he hit it with a force strike palm thrust, knocking out some debris. Grabbing the rocks, he considered his new plan - hopefully it would be all he needed.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#319 Posted: 16:11:37 07/08/2018
Maverick was a nervous wreck, trying to get closer to Veris. He accidentally got closer when Latnok's blast startled him, making him crash with Veris' snout. This was too much for him.
"Alright! I got closer! So can you please..." he began to say, afraid that Veris would wake up with his touch. Before finishing the sentence, Angora jumped to his shoulders, almost knocking him down.
"You win. Come on Malo. You tried your best. Let's go." she said, pulling his ears, though she didn't need to. Maverick was already a few meters away from the wyvern as soon as he felt her on top of him.
"Ok! This is enough fun for a day. Now please Angorita. Can you just continue the training? Think of the possibilities." Maverick begged as he put her down, wanting Angora to train herself and try to be on better terms with Latnok.
"Fine fine! Darn you're still as irritable as ever. I'll continue with the training if it'll make you shut up!" Angora said bitterly, though trying to remember that she had fun so she wouldn't be rude to Latnok. She then saw the remains of the blast and now knew what startled Maverick so much. What an annoying show-off. She then saw Shade and Raclaw sleeping pleasantly, with food waiting for them when they woke up. She felt quite envious. There they were, sleeping without a care in the world, breakfast ready for them as soon as they opened their eyes, while she was stuck with the racist guardian for some absurd training and a silly night watch...
---
#320 Posted: 17:37:29 07/08/2018
Latnok waited patiently, as the others finished their break. Casually tossing up and catching a wall chunk as he spoke, he continued to look outside as the others approached. "It's time we get started again," he said.
"I'm going to try something else. So the issue we've had so far has been that you have focus on your own emotions as you cast the spell, which renders your spellcasting highly volatile. So here's what I'll do. I'll stand right outside, to the side of the entrance, out of sight. At random intervals, I'm going to toss these pieces that I just broke off the wall. The instant you see them, you're going to cast. No time to ruminate. Just cast. That should hopefully inspire the necessary focus," Latnok finished as he got to a standing position, trying to ignore the pain in his leg. "Now, are you ready?"
---
I'm just... a guy...
#321 Posted: 18:25:34 07/08/2018
"Meh." Angora responded, clearly not enthusiastic about the training.
"Barrel toss Angorita." Maverick suddenly shouted to her from the distance, giving them space but acting as a witness. The good news was that Angora wasn't angry anymore. Just terribly bored. Maverick wanted to remind her of the times they did many games together, and barrel toss was one of them. If he could get Angora to find this training fun, then perhaps Latnok will be pleased with the results. It was still a mysery to Maverick why he wanted to teach Angora anything when he has obviously demonstrated how much he resented the troll, but he'd rather find out than to ask around and risk getting a headache with the explanation.
---
#322 Posted: 19:01:30 07/08/2018
"Didn't we just talk about discipline?" Latnok said. "Part of discipline is knowing when and when not to express yourself. Now, if you want to continue this training, it is probably best to not express boredom - even if you feel it - because I may take it as a sign that you do not intend to take this seriously. If you cannot stay focused in the way that you need to, then this is pointless.
"So what you're going to do is pretend to care about this. I know you won't care - but at least pretend to. That will be a step up in applying proper discipline. Am I clear?" Latnok asked. Despite his calmer demeanor, he was clearly giving Angora the very last bit of patience he had, and would not hesitate to revoke it should nothing change.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#323 Posted: 19:38:23 07/08/2018
"Man, I can't be angry, and I can't be bored either. Is there ever pleasing this nut?" Angora said in her mind, not knowing just what she could do to stop Latnok from scolding her. She couldn't help feeling the way she was. Did he expected her to be this neutral robot following his every command? Or just another obedient creature like Veris? Her thoughts were interrupted by Maverick stepping up.
"Come on Angorita. It's not so hard. Remember when we use to throw stuff at the moving barrels? Just pretend those rocks are the barrels, except airborn this time, and your spells are the stuff." Maverick reminded, knowing too well that Angora wouldn't do anything that demanded discipline. She was too much of a wild card for that.
"Oh yeah. I remember that silly game. Alright then, let's be doing this." she said, her demeanor changing completely. Her eyes were more focused and she was ready to aim her sword at anything. She remembered enjoying that game very much, but especially when she pulverized Maverick at it. The former pirate was glad to help. Angora accepted orders from nobody, so unless he could help make the training fun, he knew this would otherwise be a disaster.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:39:48 07/08/2018 by Felines
cyndego Platinum Sparx Gems: 6382
#324 Posted: 19:38:57 07/08/2018
Dex was looking at Latnok and the others. Not really interested what was happening, but not seeing anything more interesting.
---
Cogito, ergo sum.
#325 Posted: 20:16:23 07/08/2018
"That's the spirit," Latnok said, as he headed out of the cave, wall chunks in his hand. Setting himself right outside the cave entrance, he announced "I will throw the chunks at random intervals. Be prepared to react."
Not waiting for a response, he paused for a few seconds... and a few more... and a few more, before tossing a wall chunk using underhand, and bracing himself for whatever response would occur.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#326 Posted: 20:38:05 07/08/2018
Angora breathed with a smug look, aiming at the airborne rocks with fire that melted all but one. She was pleased with the results, but no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't create the lightning Latnok desired. Still, she was happy to know she could create fire like most of the dragons there. It came as if she was using a small flamethrower, but it still brought convincing results for the little troll.

Maverick watched, fascinated but a little sleepy.
"Whew, Angora using magic. Who would've guessed?" he said to himself, but he wouldn't mind if somebody there replied to him. He was near Raclaw, his body hiding him from Veris' line of sight. He wanted to remain hidden just in case the wyvern woke up and realize he was the one who crashed with him...
---
#327 Posted: 21:33:57 07/08/2018
Latnok, seeing the results, had reached his conclusion. After the last rock, he came back into the cave, to speak with Angora and Maverick. Considering taking a seat to ease the pain in his leg, he instead remained standing initially, then decided to kneel to meet Angora at eye level, as best as he could anyway.
"Well, you can cast fire magic, at least," Latnok said. "I don't know if it will hurt this monster we're facing, though, and it doesn't have the defensive applications I would like to teach you. The biggest hurdle, I feel, is that you are not willing to learn - thus you bear that hatred and resentment toward the conc pt that is preventing you from getting the right focus. Everyone else I've taught magic to learned willingly.
"Regardless, you put in an honest effort, you cast several spells, and you learned the fundamentals, though you still need to practice them. You have a solid base, I feel, should you choose to learn magic later in life. That being the case, I'll uphold our end of the deal. We'll finish the watch, then get some sleep."
Latnok went from kneeling to sitting, and was planning to take a few minutes to meditate after the conversation was done.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#328 Posted: 22:38:09 07/08/2018
"Well, maybe it's time you consider that perhaps troll magic and human magic don't work the same way. I can only cast fire and that weird, red line from before." Angora said, having tried to cast the bolt Latnok wanted, but despite the bigger focus, the results were mostly the same.
"Besides, even if it comes from the sword, I don't think outside magic will work on this thing. I think I will have to stab it with the sword directly if I want to hurt this dark beast." she theorized, doubting Darkmatter will be easily destroyed by something like magic, otherwise Anglra was certain Neo would've chosen someone already experienced with it.

Maverick was relieved the training was completed without further arguing, but he could see Latnok was rather disappointed. But perhaps it couldn't be helped when it came to him. He looked like a complicated, unstable man hard to please. But at least Angora did the training without complaining... although he knew she probably did deep inside.
---
#329 Posted: 22:59:04 07/08/2018
"Like I said," Latnok said, "I think a large part of that is that you still have difficulty controlling and suppressing your emotions. Your control of magic may improve if you were to develop those qualities. Unfortunately... I have failed you in that regard," Latnok said, staring outside, his tone becoming rather resigned. "I simply do not have the skills necessary to foster those characteristics in you. Perhaps someone like Mav could, if he knew how to cast spells, and how to teach spellcasting.
"Regardless, none of the things you have learned today will make you more effective in the battle to come. However, I think any effort on my part to train you further in anything would be a complete exercise in futility. Just... continue doing watches... and otherwise go about your business. Any discussion between us after this point will serve no purpose, as I have learned, so you will not hear from me."
Latnok, rather than being angry, was just massively disappointed. Although happy that Angora learned something, he was unable to teach her how to cast one of the simplest spells, and the barrier causing that was not something which could be addressed. He had set his hopes much too high - and was only rewarded with completely useless results.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#330 Posted: 23:44:09 07/08/2018
Meanwhile...
Shade sniffed it and took a bite of fish. He purred in pleasure as he tasted it.

Raclaw watched at Shade thoroughly enjoyed the exotic fish, never having him purr like that before. And without further hesitation-- he soon took a bite for himself and savored the taste as the tender-but-soft flesh went down his throat. The rainbow fish had a delicate and slightly nutty taste to it and he found it to be nothing short of perfection. He let out what could almost be described as a purr himself and his taste buds lit up and he happily consumed the meal. If there was one thing that he remembered over the years-- it was this and it was no wonder the mere thought of the delicate fish had eluded him from recalling the mention of another fur dragon. 'That can wait-- first more fish.,' he thought though and he consumed another bit of the delicacy. He knew he had to have more of this fish and had forgotten just how amazingly delicious it really was. And as soon as he took his final bite...

FIN. -- The memory and the dream soon ended. The twitching increased and suddenly, the sleeping duo began to wake up.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:48:18 07/08/2018 by redwes
#331 Posted: 23:47:49 07/08/2018
"Like I said," Latnok said, "I think a large part of that is that you still have difficulty controlling and suppressing your emotions. Your control of magic may improve if you were to develop those qualities. Unfortunately... I have failed you in that regard," Latnok said, staring outside, his tone becoming rather resigned. "I simply do not have the skills necessary to foster those characteristics in you. Perhaps someone like Mav could, if he knew how to cast spells, and how to teach spellcasting.
"Regardless, none of the things you have learned today will make you more effective in the battle to come. However, I think any effort on my part to train you further in anything would be a complete exercise in futility. Just... continue doing watches... and otherwise go about your business. Any discussion between us after this point will serve no purpose, as I have learned, so you will not hear from me."
Latnok, rather than being angry, was just massively disappointed. Although happy that Angora learned something, he was unable to teach her how to cast one of the simplest spells, and the barrier causing that was not something which could be addressed. He had set his hopes much too high - and was only rewarded with completely useless results.

Angora became more serene, quite happy to hear Latnok blaming himself for something for once. She didn't even care that he was disappointed. She did her part and that was it. She was glad that the training was over much sooner than she expected, but at the same time upset that what came next was a long, tedious watch.

After Latnok was done talking, Maverick spoke himself.
"Well, I may not know about magic, but I can help her with her emotions." Maverick offered, knowing nothing about magic. Fauns were known to create potions and alchemy, but no magic, and his father knew nothing about it either, so he'd have to help the only way he could.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:48:43 07/08/2018 by Felines
#332 Posted: 23:55:12 07/08/2018
"What you do with her now is none of my concern," Latnok said. "If you are still willing, however, I would be willing to teach you magic. If you were to start with force bolt or telepathy, I could then teach you some powerful defensive techniques from there." As Latnok was speaking, he saw Raclaw and Shade rousing from sleep within his peripheral vision. "Telepathy in itself is a very useful skill to have - it's also the base for what is probably our most powerful defensive ability." Then, addressing Raclaw and Shade, he said offhandedly "There's some meat I have set out for you. When our watch is done, you guys can take over."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#333 Posted: 00:11:00 08/08/2018
"Aren't you suppose to be born with magic? I don't think my ancestry leads to anything like it. I'll just make a fool of myself. Perhaps with a magic wand?" Maverick asked, almost joking about it, much to Angora's chagrin. He was already making a fool of himself, but he probably knew that and didn't care. Maverick wasn't very interested in magic, but it could be an interesting procedure, even if the impatient Latnok wasn't the best of teachers.

As he talked, Angora looked at the two waking dragons.
"Oh goodie. Fluffy and Blackie are awake, with easy food at their disposal." she whispered bitterly, never having such a privilege herself. Ever since joining that group, she hasn't gotten much food for herself, and most of what she had hunted has been for Veris. Speaking of the greedy wyvern, she was quite surprised he hasn't waken up with the smell. Either he was too sound asleep or his obedience overcame his gluttonous nature. It was more startling than relieving.
---
#334 Posted: 00:25:40 08/08/2018
"I wasn't born with magic," Latnok said, "but here I am." Not exactly the most fair comparison, though Latnok had been able to cast magic before his transformation. "You won't need a magic wand, though - not that they would work in this place. Besides, telepathy requires such little magic energy that you could probably pull it from being near me. Of course, I would have to teach you how to feel it and draw upon it first.
"But... think of the possibilities. Not only can you learn how to communicate with others in many situations you wouldn't normally be able to... once you have that down, I can show you how to see the future," he continued, leaving the last part deliberately vague.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#335 Posted: 01:07:41 08/08/2018
"The future? Is that even possible?" Maverick said, excited but scared at the same time.
"Although, can we skip that part? Life is more interesting if you don't know what will happen." he then said, though more because it was terrifying knowing what will happened before it happened. Although he was ope to the idea of telepathy. If he was too focused on a battle or gagged in some way, that power could really be useful.

Latnok's comment really got Angora's interest. She has been traveling with him for a while and this was the first time he heard that he could see the future. The past was one thing. But the future?Was that a sick joke? The future was never certain, was it? Now she really started to question his actions. Was this training because he saw her fail against the Darkmatter? Was that the reason he has been so harsh?
---
#336 Posted: 01:14:02 08/08/2018 | Topic Creator
Shade shook from his trans. “Huh? H-how long have we been sitting like this?”
---
SC
#337 Posted: 01:33:02 08/08/2018
"Knowing when and how something bad will happen is important to knowing how to prevent it," Latnok said. "It's an ability which has saved my life more times than I can count. Being able to see death, and avoid it. Always being one step ahead of the enemy. This is the power of our magic, and what gives us a leg up on any adversary.
"But yes. You may be someone who wants to be surprised; I do not take any chances when it comes to my life or that of my comrades, however. But, much like Angora, I don't think teaching you anything you would be unwilling to learn would be feasible."
Latnok continued to look blankly at the moon. All this talk of teaching magic made him recall how much he missed developing trainees into dependable warriors. Working to grant people the gift that had made him the man he was today - much more accomplished than he had ever dreamed of being, even if there were those who did not like that fact. Building the future - with the past something which, for the most part, had no valuable memories except for his promotion to Hunter by completing the Ascension ritual, there was only the future to look forward to.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#338 Posted: 02:17:42 08/08/2018
Maverick thought very hard about it for a moment. He has battled many, men and beast, and has survived unfair odds, all result of his father's brutal training and his own fast reflexes, but wondered if such a skill would be useful in upcoming battles. He didn't need to fight as often as before, but he was still victim of predatory animals and the occasional thief.
"Well, I guess it could be a useful skill if used properly. I haven't had too many problems without magic though, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to learn. However, can you guarantee I will only see the useful parts of the future, like an opponent's next deadly move or something? I don't want to go though life knowing exactly what will happen tomorrow." Maverick asked, knowing that life would be quite meaningless and boring if he knew what always came next. He would only like to look at glimpses, not at entire scenes.

Shade shook from his trans. “Huh? H-how long have we been sitting like this?”

"Not long..." Angora bluntly replied, looking at him and Raclaw slowly waking up to find their next meal. It has been quite long since she last talked to Shade. It felt rather odd. They both had their fair share of confrontations before entering that realm, but it was nowhere as severe as her and Latnok's companionship.
---
#339 Posted: 02:52:44 08/08/2018
"Oh, trust me, it's a very useful skill," Latnok said. "And yes, you will only see what you want to see in the moment. Though you would have to keep in mind that there are a few caveats. Most which require dedicated training to overcome." Latnok yawned as he continued. "Though I suppose that's a worry for another time. The first step would be teaching you telepathy. Because you don't have a base using any magical artifact except your bag, as far as I know - certainly not a weapon like Angora's or Godfather Sere's - I would have to teach you how to feel for and draw upon magical energy from scratch, which is a bit of a class, to say the least."
Latnok looked down, reminiscing of the time he was once learning magic. "You know, it's been so long since I've learned magic... I don't know how long you will be with us, and honestly, magic is a lot harder to teach in this environment. But when you learn magic, it will change your world. Or you could just use it for some cheap parlor tricks... I don't really know what average people who know magic do, honestly."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#340 Posted: 03:35:52 08/08/2018
Maverick scratched his head, knowing that Latnok was right about this realm.
"Perhaps we should leave the training for another time señor Latnok. You look really tired, and indeed this place looks... very unstable. The environment feels different. I thought I had stepped on another planet when I first entered here." Maverick said, still feeling the eerie atmosphere. Ben though he was open to the idea of learning magic, he didn't think he would use it that much. He had wanted to join the Guardians as much as he could, but after seeing the way Latnok treated Angora, he was having second thoughts.

In the meantime, Angora was hanging near Shade and Raclaw, wanting to make sure they were awake when it was their time to do the watch, but also to see if one of them would share their food with her. She had barely eaten a thing because of Veris and was becoming cranky. It was a good thing she slept during the day, cause being hungry and sleepy at the same time was unbearable to her.
---
#341 Posted: 03:53:56 08/08/2018
"I'm in my low 30s, please stop calling me a senior," Latnok said. "If anything, Godfather Sere has been alive for well over a century, you should be saying that to him. Actually... I don't knoe if that's the best idea. The other Guardians don't dare to do something like that - we know that he'll crush us in a fight despite his age." Latnok grabbed some of the catwolf meat, eating it to pass the time.
"I'm going to meditate for a bit now to aid in the healing of my wounds," he said. "My senses will still be active, but I'll be tuning out most of the general noise to focus on gathering my strength."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#342 Posted: 04:37:07 08/08/2018
"Senior? Oh oh, you mean señor! No no, you got it all wrong. That's Spanish for sir, or mister. I guess it does sounds a lot like the word senior, eh?" Maverick said, never noticing how much it does sounded like the English word.
"My apologies. I went to many Spanish countries and I sometimes use Spanish words in my sentences. I can stop if you like." he then said, feeling embarrassed. Angora knew too well his speech pattern, having picked up a few Spanish words of her own. She also knew Maverick never wanted to insult or hurt anyone, at least not intentionally. It was hard to imagine Latnok being in his 30's, since it would mean he's just a few years older than him, yet they looked decades apart. Neither of made a mention of it though, knowing it would probably be mistaken as an insult.
---
#343 Posted: 04:51:53 08/08/2018
"Ah, no, no, forgive me in that case, and feel free to carry on," Latnok said. "I only speak the common tongue - I have no experience with any other language. Never went on any sea adventures to far-off places like you did - most of my traveling has been on foot or on horseback. Would have been nice to have a horse now, but their fear of dragons would make them completely unmanageable here, even if they are much easier to feed than a wyvern." Latnok looked up, spaced out, in momentary thought.
"Say, speaking of which, Godfather Sere is planning an expedition to Falcon's Beak. Since we don't have sailors, he will be looking to hire people with seamanship skills - if you're interested in earning a fat chunk of change, you can speak to him about that. Although, between the tavern frequenters and whatever other means he has of rounding up crew, the company may be a bit rough. God knows that I'm probably stuck on this journey, and the only sea-related skills I have are swimming and fishing." Latnok was rarely on boats, and the times he was were some of the least favorite traveling moments of his life. He would much prefer to never have to set foot on a boat again.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#344 Posted: 05:23:25 08/08/2018
Maverick felt flattered that he was offered a position among the Guardians, but between his second thoughts and past experiences, he was having serious doubts.
"Falcon's Beak... yeah, I heard of that place. It was one of the places my father planned to loot before the ship sunk. He always postponed it though. I'd really like to help, but I... I have to think about it. You see, I rather like my new, merchant life. I don't earn much, but at least is the necessary money to survive. I spent so much of my life at sea that I felt like I missed so much! Life on land is much more exiting you know. You get to see many kinds of places, many kinds of town and cities. A great variety of environments and animals. When you live as a... sailor, you don't get to see much, just a few islands and seafaring towns. The rest of the journey is just the ship and tons and tons of water on the horizon." Maverick expressed, once very used to the seafaring life, even though it was harsh with his father and his savage crew. Land life was far better. He was rather relieved that Latnok simply assumed he was a sailor. Perhaps he didn't hear when Angora mentioned it? Nevertheless, Latnok seemed oblivious. He feared that the young Guardian would resent him if he learned that he was once a shameful pirate.

Angora watched in disgust how his once beloved friend and the man she despised so much seemed to be bonding. Still, she did well in holding on her desire to interrupt. She appreciated Maverick for trying to defend her from Latnok, and she wanted to believe it would be that way from now on. It did worried her about the position Maverick was offered. He didn't say no. Just that he was going to think about it. If he left, it would mean that he would leave her yet again, since she doubted the Guardians would want a troll on their ranks, not to mention that their lives were most likely miserable. She then wondered if Maverick said that just to avoid coming off as rude...
---
#345 Posted: 05:41:26 08/08/2018
"Don't worry too much about it," Latnok reassured. "I'm sure we can find some crew members, either within the taverns, or by Godfather Sere pulling some pirates off of death row... again." Being that Redwater was part of a nation which cooperated with the Guardians since before its founding, a good word often let them get certain favors within the city - some of them small, some of them somewhat bigger. "Well, better they get put to use doing something meaningful then just thrown into the arena for everyone's enjoyment, I figure. Been a while since I've been to Redwater - looking forward to that much, at least."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#346 Posted: 05:51:47 08/08/2018
The mention of pirates made Maverick doubt even more. He wanted nothing to do with that world anymore.
"Well, I'm pretty sure you'll find other people..." Maverick said, wanting to hint at his desire to decline the offer. He then mouthed the word arena, wondering if it was the kind he thought. When Latnok said entertainment, it pretty much confirmed it to him. Did the Guardians really had an arena where people fight to they could entertain themselves just like in the Roman Coliseum? There was nothing ethical about that! He avoided the subject, and decided to change it quickly to prevent Latnok from catching on.
"Speaking of transport... I never expected you to use horses. Although it's no surprise they would be nervous around dragons." he said, as he looked at the sleeping Veris.
---
#347 Posted: 06:01:58 08/08/2018
"Of course we do," Latnok said. Horses are much easier to maintain than wyverns, and more mobile on the ground. All of us in the Ardent Guardians who can use a bow are trained in horseback archery - just another way to strike quickly and effectively while minimizing risk on our side. We use some other animals as well, like hellhounds for sniffing trails - they also happen to be really useful for tracking down and destroying poltergeists.
"Many people only know them from what they see in the arena, where Redwater has them sent in to fight criminals sentenced to death, a job they perform quite ruthlessly. Of course, that aggression works for us - but they are controllable with enough effort. Have you ever pet one? Would you like to?" Latnok asked, not really expecting an answer. "They're not that bad if you're wearing gloves."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#348 Posted: 06:18:44 08/08/2018
While Shade had awoken relatively quickly, Raclaw's senses were coming back just a tad more slowly. "Well-- that was a experience. I'm.. I'm sorry I put you through that. I honestly didn't intend for us to get stuck in my own memory.," he said sounding slightly disoriented as his various mental links and connections snapped back into place. As soon as they did, his and Shade's metal presences could be felt once again and brief lingering thoughts of something delicious could be felt. He soon noticed the fish set in front of him as well Angora practically staring at the food. "You can have some if you wish-- I'm sorry if I freaked you out.," Raclaw said pushing a fish towards Agnora and a choosing a fish for himself. As he started to eat, his mind lingered back to the Rainbow Fish and the new information he gleaned from the experience. Feelings of hope could also be felt over the links, more so than before.

'A fur dragon and an armored human-- clearly a Guardian and about 6 years ago...,' he thought to himself. The mentioned Guardian couldn't have been Julian as that wouldn't quite line up with the known timeline. However-- it was possible that the mentioned fur dragon was important to him and that another Guardian had been ether helping them or cooperating with them for some greater purpose. The possibilities were endless and he knew that he would have to later bring the subject up. He had also learned how to and how not to get stuck when projecting oneself into their own memories; and that he would have to be careful with any such future attempts. At least it wasn't for nothing and he had been able to recall important information that had long forgotten.
---
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 09:35:22 08/08/2018 by redwes
#349 Posted: 06:29:10 08/08/2018
Angora looked bored, but was actually paying close attention to the conversation. Maverick looked quite enthusiastic about the Guardians before, so she was glad he was slowly learning the awful truth about them, and that they weren't the peaceful society he had expected. She didn't respond to Raclaw, but she did accepted the fish. She was too concentrated on the two men talking to pay attention to the fur dragon, even though this could've been the perfect opportunity for the two of them to talk...

"Of course we do," Latnok said. Horses are much easier to maintain than wyverns, and more mobile on the ground. All of us in the Ardent Guardians who can use a bow are trained in horseback archery - just another way to strike quickly and effectively while minimizing risk on our side. We use some other animals as well, like hellhounds for sniffing trails - they also happen to be really useful for tracking down and destroying poltergeists.
"Many people only know them from what they see in the arena, where Redwater has them sent in to fight criminals sentenced to death, a job they perform quite ruthlessly. Of course, that aggression works for us - but they are controllable with enough effort. Have you ever pet one? Would you like to?" Latnok asked, not really expecting an answer. "They're not that bad if you're wearing gloves."

Maverick wanted to avoid the subject of the arena, but it seemed like Latnok wasn't going to leave it anytime soon.
"Pet? You mean the... wyvern?" Maverick asked, already having his fair share of fright with Angora's naughty little stunt from earlier. Before Latnok could answer, there was something more important Maverick needed to know.
"But wait, you keep mentioning about an arena, and this Redwater. You mean to say you... bring criminal to them? Isn't that a little... gruesome?" the young man then asked, being more horrified the more he learned about the Guardians.
---
#350 Posted: 09:01:15 08/08/2018
"Oh, we don't bring the criminals to them, Latnok said. "They come from all over the nation. For as much peace as Redwater has had, it and the rest of the nation are ruled by rather strong laws, often with draconian punishments. Criminals sentenced to death used to be publicly executed, but some time ago they created the arena, and these criminals instead get a chance to fight for their freedom as everyone else watches. The arena is a large tourist attraction, and entertains the citizens.
"If you've heard anything about the history of Redwater, you will know that the people are no strangers to fighting. It is very much engrained in the culture at this point. The arena is another extension of that."
---
I'm just... a guy...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:01:33 08/08/2018 by A Guy
First | Previous | Page 7 of 50 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 48 49 50

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me