Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Previous | Page 4 of 50 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 48 49 50
Legend of Orion: Dark Times (open) [CLOSED]
A Guy Emerald Sparx Gems: 3639
#151 Posted: 00:56:56 29/07/2018
"Hmm, usually other humans have a more... unpleasant reaction when seeing us," Latnok said. "Lot of rumors go around about us. Stuff about demon contracts, or conspiracies about collapsing governments, or cooperating with governments to suppress their people, or breeding monsters to attack people to keep them in fear and reliant on us. They can fear us - but they know who to find when a hydra shows up. But the whole 'ladies' thing... that's something I haven't bothered with in a very long time..." Latnok trailed off, as if he were distracted by something.
"I get much more pleasure from doing my job and being a force for change than I would with any sort of company. I am more powerful than most humans could ever hope to be. They say that power often comes at a cost; I had nothing to lose but my rags, however, so I had no cost to pay. And in return, I am powerful, wealthy, and able to protect people. I am happier now than I have ever been growing up.
"I ran away from home when I was younger. Long story, won't bore you with it. But I came back one day. Found the village completely destroyed. All the bodies, if there were any, were removed. The story I received was that monsters attacked the place. They were particularly vague, however. I never did find out what really happened, or if my mother escaped; honestly, I don't care whether she did or not."
---
I'm just... a guy...
Felines Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10223
#152 Posted: 01:13:10 29/07/2018
While Angora listened from the corner with half closed eyes and her head resting on her hand, Maverick listened with interest.
"Well amigo, seems to me like you have a mileage of story behind you. Quite gruesome too, but what matters is the present. I don't have a very pleasant past either, but I thank the heavens for helping me stand on my feet and have a very rewarding present. I have my stuff, I can travel the world when I please, and I can befriend almost anyone. The world may not be a pleasant place, but that's just the thing. You have to make it better somehow, no matter if you get hurt along the way. Also, it would help if you don't use such a scary armor my bro. What good is helping if others fear you?" Maverick said, already showing much of the optimism that characterized him so much, a trait Angora found extremely annoying. Things may be easier for him that was a handsome human, but she was both a short and ugly troll. It was much harder for her to stay optimistic if the world was going to step on you every time you tried to be happy or even help others.
---
Real friends will be there... when you need them the most.
#153 Posted: 01:29:37 29/07/2018
Latnok, pleased that Maverick seemed to be interested in his story, continued to speak. "The armor is entirely functional. Dragonhide is flexible enough to not hamper your agility in any significant way; durable enough to withstand many blows; a good insulator, protecting against electricity, fire, and the like; doesn't hamper your spellcasting like many metal armors would; and our long, bloody history has left us with massive stockpiles of spare dragonhide, so the only cost to us nowadays is the labor to make it.
"Do people fear it? Many do, but that is not my concern as long as they do not interfere with me. Companionship, except the kind that comes from battling side-to-side with my allies, is something I lost much of when I underwent the Ascension ritual; if I didn't lose it completely before then. These are people I do not interact with, for the most part; I don't need them to like me. They have their jobs; we're here to make sure they're still around to do it.
"Like I said, I get satisfaction just from doing my job well, knowing that I'm a professional, and training others to do the job well, whether that be instilling discipline in them, improving their fighting skills, teaching them magic, or various other tasks. Most trainees despise me to start with; but they often thank me in the end. And that is when I know I have done a good job, and it brings a smile to my face."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#154 Posted: 01:46:55 29/07/2018
Maverick listened with fascination as usual, but it was then turned to confusion.
"Dragonhide? Ascension ritual? Heh, you're losing me buddy, but I'm glad you find satisfaction in your services. And I can see you had your time full creating that armor and training wyverns." Maverick said, having the attention span of a sick cat. Angora was tired of this trip to memory lane and Latnok showing off as well, so she pushed Maverick to her corner.

"Alright alright already, I think that's enough talking for one day..." she said with frustration, but before she could continue speaking, Maverick face palmed himself.

"Oh, too true! Cabeza hueca me! Where are my manners? My apologies Mr. Latnok. Your story is very interesting, but I forgot there were others in this cave. Oh my oh my, where should I start?" Maverick said, interested in hearing the rest of Latnok's story, but he wanted to introduce himself first. He was still too afraid of the dragons though, so he was going to take it one step at a time.

He looked at Latnok, and was fascinated by his appearance.
"You look like an interesting critter. Hey, a collar? And so fluffy! Who is this?" Maverick asked Latnok, unsure if Raclaw could speak. So far, he only knew that Angora and the humans could talk, but he didn't know that everyone but Veris was capable of speech.
---
#155 Posted: 01:57:24 29/07/2018
"You should try asking him yourself," Latnok teased. "Come on - he won't bite. But don't be fooled by the collar - he is his own dragon, and is here with the rest of us by choice.
"That dragon's name is Raclaw," Sere telepathed to Maverick. "He, and all of the other dragons here, are independent creatures, and capable of speech. Feel free to talk to any of them - you are safe, and we would protect you if you weren't."
"If you don't care to listen to my story, then I don't have to bore you with it," Latnok said blankly. "I do apologize, I became somewhat distracted. My past, though I hated it, made me the man I am today, so I sometimes get lost reminiscing about it. Anyway, back to business - we can get our intros on the move. And just so you know... I only speak the common tongue."
---
I'm just... a guy...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:58:05 29/07/2018 by A Guy
#156 Posted: 02:16:00 29/07/2018
Maverick was about to reply to Latnok, feeling lousy for making him feel like he found his story boring, but then he grabbed his head, startled by hearing a voice that wasn't his own. Angora figured out what was going on.
"Relax you twisted dummy. If you heard a voice it was either Latnok or Sere talking telepathically to you. You know, mind talk?" Angora pointed out, smiling with Maverick's pale face. As annoying as he was, it was always fun to see him startled.

"Oh..." Maverick said, trying to treat it as something normal and not be surprised by it. He did hear of telepathy but never experimented it. Not even the wizard that gave him his bag used it.
"And... well then, my apologies for that Latnok. I didn't mean to sound like I dismissed you... And... did you say ask?" Maverick stammered, not certain how he could handle all this magic weirdness and the fact that these creatures, at least Raclaw so far, could speak...
---
#157 Posted: 02:25:23 29/07/2018
"No worries," Latnok reassured Maverick. "And yes - go ahead and ask him. He's no one's pet - speak to him like you would speak to me, or any other person." He then turned his head upward to look at Sere on top of Veris. "Hey, mind if I ride as well?" Latnok asked Sere. "I can use the opportunity to catch up on some sleep. Gods know I'll want to have it with what I'll have to try to do tonight."
"Go ahead," Sere said. Without needing further prompting, Veris lay back down, allowing Latnok to mount him. Latnok put on his helmet, climbed onto the wyvern's back, and set up the appropriate strappings.
---
I'm just... a guy...
redwes Diamond Sparx Gems: 8550
#158 Posted: 02:33:03 29/07/2018
Raclaw watched as Maverick hesitated-- and Latnok explained how the collar didn't automatically make him someone's pet. The collar was a long long story and he had a feeling he would have to explain it to the overly fluffy newcomer should he stick around. He wanted to speak up, but instead lowered his head slightly and allowed Maverick to make the first move. He tried to make himself look less intimidating, not that he really needed to.
---
<[ I’m Darin the gryphon! *screech* Want to know more or ask a question?]
#159 Posted: 02:33:18 29/07/2018
Before the currently obese Veris could take off, Maverick stopped them.
"Hey wait! Uh... so... can I ride him later too?" Maverick asked meekly, wanting to know how it was like to look at the world from high above the skies. This was enough to pique Angora's interest, never imagining Maverick would dare to do something like that. He was afraid of larger animals, but it looked like his curiosity beat fear. She couldn't help but to think how fun it would be to see Maverick trying to approach the gluttonous Veris.
---
#160 Posted: 10:00:17 29/07/2018
Sere paused for a moment before giving his answer. "Perhaps some time in the future, provided you are still around," he said. "Right now, however, he is too satiated to fly - he will be carrying us on foot and moving with the rest of thr group. Besides, we generally keep two people at most to a wyvern. Veris quite enjoys flying, and the release of pent-up energy it grants him - as you can see, however, he likes eating even more."
Latnok, in the meantime, had managed to start sleeping already, his strappings keeping him in place as he leaned forward, partially supported by Sere. Veris yawned audibly as if in empathy.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#161 Posted: 12:15:26 29/07/2018
As Maverick briefly got distracted by the now flightless Veris, Raclaw gave a gentle smile amused by the overly fluffy human. He had claimed himself to be a big fluffy puppy-- and Raclaw was starting to believe that claim seeing how easily distracted he was. And so in order to focus his attention again, he decided to break the ice first and speak up.

"Latnok is right-- I won't bite. I promise.," he first said with a smile before introducing himself. "My name is Raclaw and if you're worried about the collar-- don't be. I am my own dragon, both litterally and figuretively. The collar.. the collar is a long story and one that I might tell you more about should you decide to stick around.," he then said addressing Maverick's main curiosity although not immediately going into detail on the subject. He wanted to make it clear at least that he was no-ones pet and he was glad Latnok had done the same-- as if Latnok had known what the collar likely represented to those not familiar with the Guardians.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 12:20:40 29/07/2018 by redwes
#162 Posted: 14:31:01 29/07/2018
The answer motivated Maverick to stay and try that ride later on, but knowing Angora, she was probably looking forward to see him terrified out of his mind, so he was planning to put his best face forward and make her look ridiculous. His thoughts were interrupted when he heard a voice behind him talking. He turned around just in time to see Raclaw's peculiar muzzle moving with the words. He waited until he was finished.
"Oh. Eh... so then, the collar is like a decoration then. Hey, I'm... Maverick." the young man said, reclutantly extending his hand and introducing himself, surprised Raclaw could talk. How many there could do so? He didn't want to be rude, so he said nothing about it. had a tendency to suddenly jump from one subject to the other, something that Angora knew well, but he knew what subjects shouldn't be touched.

"But he's also called Malo. Did you know that means bad in Spanish?" Angora said from her corner, breaking the silence. It made Maverick shrug with embarrassment and shame.

"Not that name Angorita. It's a dumb nickname. My father put me that way and I'm nothing like that, at all!" Maverick replied, really hating that nickname.

"You're not bad, bad, but you're still bad at telling jokes... and clothes." Angora said with a smug smile, clearly wanting to annoy him. Back in the day, they loved to annoy each other, and if Angora was still the same, Maverick knew he had to get used to that pathetic nickname again.
---
#163 Posted: 15:08:57 29/07/2018
Sere found the entire interaction between Maverick and Angora quite droll, and let out a chuckle. "Well, she's not wrong about the clothes," he said. "Our clothing, like most other things, is entirely functional. That clothing is a bit... unusual, don't you think?
"But I'm surprised that a man who has traveled so much isn't very familiar with magic, or talking dragons, or telepathy. Then again, that is stuff I have had to deal with as a part of my job, in addition to my own travels. Even in my old age, the travels never stop - a few of us in this group are due to head to Redwater some time after this mission, and then to Falcon's Beak." As Sere was talking, he was absent-mindedly petting Veris, something the wyvern really enjoyed.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#164 Posted: 15:38:52 29/07/2018
The comment was enough for Maverick to take off his hood and statch it away in his pouch, leaving his signature pants and skull shirt. His body was better seen now, rather scrawny but with some well defined muscles.
"Well, I suppose I won't need this anymore." he said, to disguise his disappointment. His demeanor changed almost immediately though when he replied to Sere, with Angora having expected much.

"It's true I've travelled for a while now, but the world is big and I practically just started out this traveling merchant business. I knew about magic, but no one ever tried to contact me through that mind reader thingie. As for dragons, never saw one until today. Maybe they're just hiding well, or perhaps I never bother to look for one. Who wants to find something that can fry you with an exhale or eat you in a gulp?" Maverick expressed, though it was evident he meant no offense with the last comment and told it as a joke. He always thought dragons were big, fire breathing reptiles, but now he could see there was much more variety than that. It was as if all the dragons he missed in his journey he was meeting them all at once in that cave.
---
#165 Posted: 17:41:22 29/07/2018
Sere continued to listen, somewhat intrigued by the odd man. He had forgotten what it was like to fear dragons; however, he understood why people did. "Well, most dragons aren't that bad," he said. "Most wouldn't kill you any more than some random elf would kill you. We have even worked with them frequently to accomplish mutual goals. Of course, there are those who would just attack others without provocation, or who seek to use their power to subjugate the less powerful. To those, there is only one answer - no trial... no jury... just pain," he continued, his tone becoming noticeably angry at the thought. "It is those who, ironically, help us now by granting us their skin."
Sere's tone went back to neutral as he changed the subject. "Enough of that. A traveling merchant, you say? I would highly recommend against wearing a showy bauble like that, especially a m d with only a shield and no magic. What would you do if others were to attack you like we did? You are best off not attracting attention to yourself."
---
I'm just... a guy...
Spyroconvexity Hunter Gems: 8581
#166 Posted: 18:19:47 29/07/2018 | Topic Creator
Shade lifted up his head at that last comment. He made a low growl.
---
SC
#167 Posted: 19:11:41 29/07/2018
Maverick didn't want to touch the skin subject, not wanting to believe it was what he thought. He wanted to believe it was the scales or something harmless like that. He simply continued with the second subject.
"Another traveling merchant gave me this hood. Told me that would ward off wild animals and bandits and make them think twice before attacking. Guess I've been had." Maverick said, once again with that casual, careless tone. He suspected he would've been swindled, but he liked the hood's ridiculous appearance, and it kinda worked with certain animals. The hybrid man then took a step backwards when he heard growling, knowing that a low, rumbling growl like that came from one of the dragons, but he didn't know which.

Angora did though, so without leaving the corner, she looked at the black dragon.
"Easy Blackie. Don't let it over your head" she whispered, not wanting him to become unstable again. Even though it would be fun to see Maverick scared, she didn't want anybody to get hurt, especially him.
---
#168 Posted: 19:27:06 29/07/2018 | Topic Creator
Shade looked at Angora and nodded. He then rented his head.

“It would seem so. Magic here doesn’t work as this mountain tests you every step of the way.”Orion said.
---
SC
#169 Posted: 19:33:22 29/07/2018
"They're right you know-- you could do without the hood. It's nice to meet a new face.," Raclaw said having taken the reluctant hand and returning it with a firm but gentle paw-shake. He gave a slight smile and appeared to be somewhat amused by the mention of the bad nickname. He hadn't even yet mentioned the fact that he was likely more telepathic than any other dragon in the group, besides from perhaps the great Orion himself.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:49:22 29/07/2018 by redwes
#170 Posted: 19:51:44 29/07/2018
Angora was relieved tha Shade listened to her. Despite not talking to him for a while, it seems like he remembered the time she tried very hard to prevent him from succumbing to the corruption.

Maverick shook a trembling hand with Raclaw. Despite being the least scary, he was still a dragon.
"Well, I could do without magic..." Maverick said in response to Orion, and almost commented about the hood, but since nobody seemed to like it, he didn't brought the subject. E also wanted to ask who else could talk in that group, but he thought of it rude, and didn't want to cause a bad impression.
---
#171 Posted: 20:15:23 29/07/2018
As the sun continued to make its way across the sky, the shade of the sky and the land slowly started to shift with it. "Dusk already..." Sere muttered. Most of the group's time had been spent waiting out storms, or getting food when it was gone. Despite that, they made significant progress in other ways, so it wasn't a wasted day. With the shift in time, Latnok began to wake after his brief nap, yawning.
"Had enough sleep?" Sere asked Latnok.
"Yes, I feel refreshed," Latnok said. "Prepared for what the first watch has in store for me, anyway." He wasn't quite looking forward to having to teach Angora anything, but it was worth seeing if she had any capability whatsoever. At the very least, it would force her to actually do her duty like everyone else. "You know she's just going to blow me off and be right back to her old stubborn, bigoted, immaleable self, right? Even if she does learn, she's not going to start showing any of the respect she expects for free."
"We will see what happens. Do your part, and I will worry about the rest."
---
I'm just... a guy...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:21:44 29/07/2018 by A Guy
#172 Posted: 20:18:03 29/07/2018
Quote: Felines
Maverick shook a trembling hand with Raclaw. Despite being the least scary, he was still a dragon.
"Well, I could do without magic..." Maverick said in response to Orion, and almost commented about the hood, but since nobody seemed to like it, he didn't brought the subject. He also wanted to ask who else could talk in that group, but he thought of it rude, and didn't want to cause a bad impression.

"If whatever equipment you have with you still functions, consider yourself fortunate. Some here have learned the way just how dependent they are on outside magic-- and are having to compensate as a result. If you use natural magic, you should be fine. Other more artificial kinds sometimes found in certain magical items will suffer, however, and require ether constant maintenance (such as the Guardians' bags) or put an constant strain on the user if they are unable to completely cope without it.," Raclaw warned upon the subject of magic being mentioned and sounding very very serious. Even if it caused Maverick to suspect something more was up with his collar and ask questions sooner; he knew the newcomer needed to know. He would've appreciated such a warning before the corruption had almost taken him over and still was-- albeit very very slowly.
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 20:30:24 29/07/2018 by redwes
#173 Posted: 20:50:50 29/07/2018
"Well, I never needed any magic. Been doing fine without it. Of course, I not saying it won't be cool to learn, but I've gotten by without it so far. I do have this bag that a wizard gave me. You can put almost anything here and it will still have space." he explained happily, glad that he at least had one magical item. But even today, he was still oblivious that he had another magical item that has been protecting him all his life...

Quote: A Guy
As the sun continued to make its way across the sky, the shade of the sky and the land slowly started to shift with it. "Dusk already..." Sere muttered. Most of the group's time had been spent waiting out storms, or getting food when it was gone. Despite that, they made significant progress in other ways, so it wasn't a wasted day. With the shift in time, Latnok began to wake after his brief nap, yawning.
"Had enough sleep?" Sere asked Latnok.
"Yes, I feel refreshed," Latnok said. "Prepared for what the first watch has in store for me, anyway." He wasn't quite looking forward to having to teach Angora anything, but it was worth seeing if she had any capability whatsoever. At the very least, it would force her to actually do her duty like everyone else. "You know she's just going to blow me off and be right back to her old stubborn, bigoted, immaleable self, right? Even if she does learn, she's not going to start showing any of the respect she expects for free."
"We will see what happens. Do your part, and I will worry about the rest."

Angora was quite furious at the both of them talking about her while she was so nearby.
"I'm still here you know! And I can still hear you!" she said rather irritated. Maverick was too distracted with Raclaw to notice her frustration.
---
#174 Posted: 21:17:54 29/07/2018
"That seems to be an popular option among the humans I've noticed-- and I can see why. I just have what you see on me, my fluff, and of course-- my natural abilities.," Raclaw replied with a smile almost wanting to show off some of his telepathic abilities but holding off knowing how Maverick felt about such things. As Raclaw got a close look at Maverick, he noted how the human's fluff (or hair rather) was almost comparable to that of his own. The difference was he was supposed to be fluffy and had never expected to see so much fluff on a human.
---
#175 Posted: 21:34:16 29/07/2018
"Well, then," Latnok said, without even giving Angora the honor of facing her, "you know that there's absolutely nothing you will do tonight that will surprise me. We'll start as soon as we find a new shelter - should be time by then, anyway. Should be something pretty simple. Keyword being 'should'."
Veris, meanwhile, was more lively than ever, having had sufficient time and exercise to burn off a good amount of his feast. He picked up the pace of his own volition. Sere reached out and grabbed a grasshopper-sized bug which had flown onto his neck, incinerating it in a brief flash of light.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#176 Posted: 21:56:26 29/07/2018
"If it'll make you get off my back, it'll be worth it... youbiasedcreep!" Angora said, muttering those last words. Sere may not be Latnok's master, but he was still his superior, and she was certain he would listen to the older guardian. If Sere was really more honorable than Latnok, she hoped he would keep his word and order Latnok to leave her alone for the rest of the journey.

Quote: redwes
"That seems to be an popular option among the humans I've noticed-- and I can see why. I just have what you see on me, my fluff, and of course-- my natural abilities.," Raclaw replied with a smile almost wanting to show off some of his telepathic abilities but holding off knowing how Maverick felt about such things. As Raclaw got a close look at Maverick, he noted how the human's fluff (or hair rather) was almost comparable to that of his own. The difference was he was supposed to be fluffy and had never expected to see so much fluff on a human.

Raclaw's observation didn't go unnoticed. Maverick looked rather proud.
"Like it? It's only a few parts, but it's really awesome. It's not hard like most human hair. Some women have even asked me to lie their head down and they say it feels just like a feathered pillow. It doesn't get fleas or lice, and I can even pull it off and it'll grow back as soft as ever in less than a week." Maverick explained, quite happy with his unique trait. Most women would feel weirded out by this much hair, but it was the opposite effect for the former pirate and he loved it. He looked at Raclaw and wondered if that was hair or just very tiny feathers. He was almost tempted to touch it, but being forever polite and nice, Maverick didn't dare, not to mention that he was still a little bit wary of the peculiar dragon. He still loved the conversation though, and even though he did listened to Angora and the guardian's conversation behind him, he payed it no mind. It wouldn't be the first time Angora got on somebody's nerves.
---
#177 Posted: 21:58:12 29/07/2018
Latnok, turning his head to Maverick, began to chime in. "You know," he said, "I don't know if anyone has ever mentioned this to you, but in case we haven't said anything yet, you're a pretty unusual human. Don't you worry about giving potential enemies many more grappling points? Or being more vulnerable to fire?" He found the whole thing incredibly impractical - even non-Guardian human men often kept their hair relatively short. "Certainly stuff I would be worried about if I were traveling with valuable goods and money. Say... why do you have just a shield, anyway? Did you lose your weapon? You really should be less callous with your own life."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#178 Posted: 22:28:15 29/07/2018
Maverick was juggling with what to say next. Latnok was asking too many questions at the same time, but he was glad that it wasn't the other way around for once. It was usually Maverick who had that tendency.
"Well, first, I don't carry a weapon cause I don't want to hurt anybody. If I want to defend myself, I only need a shield. It's fire proof and it can deflect attacks. As for the fire, I haven't encountered any fire creatures, nor have I travelled to arid regions, so it's really not an issue for me. As for thieves, well, this little bag has a lot of space, but none of them know that. I don't look like a traveling merchant, so I'm usually not a target." Maverick happily explained, being glad with the circumstances of his life. Land life was still rather new to him, so he was certain he still had a lot to learn and probably many new dangers he hasn't encountered yet.

Angora was at her corner, with the vein in her temple being visible again. Once again, Latnok has interrupted a conversation. Although it wasn't with malice, he still butted in, and that made her exceedingly angry. She held her tongue though, wanting to practice for the time she also has to leave Latnok alone and make good of her promise to Sere.
---
#179 Posted: 22:42:52 29/07/2018
"It would still be an good idea to carry a weapon just in case, even if it's just a dagger or something.," Raclaw said thinking of something comparable to his claws and recalling a simple dagger his human mother always kept on her. Even if she didn't ever need it, she always kept it on her just case some wood critter decided to come out. He himself-- had his claws, teeth, fire element, telepathy, and even his collar had a function that could be used similar to a electricity attack. He had never used that last "weapon" intentionally though as it was quite painful on his part. His fluff may be fireproof but it definitely was not shock proof. And he didn't particularly enjoy the last time a minor corruption had used it against him.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:44:26 29/07/2018 by redwes
#180 Posted: 23:04:32 29/07/2018
"Anyone who's defenseless is a target..." Latnok said. "Before I joined the Guardians, people thought I was an easy target. Many of them tried to cheat me in various ways, but I learned who was trying to con after the first few times. But it wasn't just that...
"One day, I think around the age of ten, I was just wandering around the city, looking for stuff, you know, random stuff that curious guys might pay a street urchin for info on. I was walking, when, while I was walking past an alleyway, someone stopped me and asked if I knew where to find the Fiery Eyrie - a tavern. Didn't think anything of it. As I walked up to him, though - he grabbed me.
"I tried to get free - he just kept running. He seemed to be running straight into the wall, but somehow the wall dematerialized... or something like that... and we were in the woods not too far from the city. I was screaming - no one cared for some random street urchin, though. I begged him to let me go. He just kept running.
"Then as I was trying to move my arms, I barely felt something - my hunting knife. I managed to pull it out with my fingers, and soon got a good grasp on it - his eyes seemed to be looking forward. So I thrust the knife into his abdomen.
"He dropped, and cried out. I saw my chance. Not to run, though - I charged at him. Stabbed him again. And again. And again, and again... I don't know when I stopped. I didn't think I was ever going to. But my arms eventually became too tired to continue, barely able to move them. I don't know why he was doing what he was doing. I wasn't anyone important. Maybe someone was paying him for some random kid and he had a family to feed. It wasn't my concern." As Latnok said this part of the story, the intense fear he had at that moment resurfaced strongly in his mind - none of the excitement that came with it nowadays, though, when he knew he could meet the challenge.
"All I know is that I emptied his pockets, took the coins - a really hefty sum, enough to sustain me for longer than I could have hoped for - and saw an emblem. A head - human on the left, insectoid on the right, with a smooth transition in between. That wasn't my concern - but I remembered it. This man tried to take me somewhere, and I just ended up killing him, taking his money, and going back to the city like nothing ever happened. The first sapient being I ever killed - another man...
"...anyway, I guess I went off on a bit of a tangent. My point is, I would've been some prisoner or dead if I didn't have a weapon there. You think a shield would've saved me? You are taking a pointless risk with your life if you aren't ready to kill someone who would attack you. You know, Mav - I'll call you Mav - you seem like a decent man. It would be a real shame if you were to die due to your own hubris."
---
I'm just... a guy...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:05:41 29/07/2018 by A Guy
#181 Posted: 23:14:37 29/07/2018
Maverick listened to Latnok's story, but he wasn't convinced. He didn't want to become a murderer just for his own sake.
"Oh come on you guys. Are you telling me you've been that constantly attacked? I already told you, I don't need weapons. I don't want to stab anybody. Besides, I can just give one good whack with the shield if it ever comes to that." Maverick said, wondering why everybody was making such a big deal about not carrying a pointy weapon when a shield has been more than enough for him. The subject made him so uncomfortable he missed the part where Latnok said he was a Guardian. Angora was remembering the days when she was on his father's ship. Maverick was an excellent sword fighter and could be quite ruthless in battle, but Maverick admitted as much that hated being that way and was only doing it to make his father happy. The boy was clearly traumatized about the many people he hurt and killed, so the troll had no doubt that Maverick renounced weapons altogether because of it.
---
#182 Posted: 23:24:07 29/07/2018
Latnok let out a legitimately dismayed sigh. "It only takes one mistake... hell, you could have been dead a few hours ago if we were after it. I won't press you anymore on the matter, but please, know what you're doing, and the risk you're taking. I've seen too many die by underestimating the risks."
Veris suddenly lifted his head and let out a roar, as his direction and pace changed to be more deliberate. "Veris has spotted a cave," Sere said. "It should come into view for the rest of us not too long from now."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#183 Posted: 23:30:30 29/07/2018
"If it helps, I've never killed a man-- only bears and other creatures that I've hunted. All I'm saying is to be careful and make sure you can protect yourself, whatever that may or may not involve for you. If all you need is a shield, than so be it. Just... just be careful.," Raclaw said with a slight smile showing some support for the fluffy human's cause. He couldn't imagine himself without claws for example, but wouldn't be so quick to intentionally kill someone ether. And with his telepathy, he would be more likely to try and talk them down before it got to that point. As Latnok explained his story, he could feel the fear and and what would eventually make Latnok into the man he became.
---
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 23:43:29 29/07/2018 by redwes
#184 Posted: 23:38:16 29/07/2018
Maverick was about to reply to Latnok, but before he could say anything to defend his claim, or even say that he didn't mind the new nickname, Veris roar startled him and he remained silent. He appreciated that Raclaw somewhat respected his decision, for it seemed like Latnok was very against the idea of him not having a weapon.

Angora got up, and was ready to head to this new cave on foot. Unlike Maverick, she was too used to the wyvern's presence.
"Well then, let's move on." she said, wanting to get into the new place before it got really dark. She could see Veris less bloated than before and sighed, knowing that it would only be a matter of time before he was hungry again, if he wasn't already.
---
#185 Posted: 00:14:05 30/07/2018
As the group slowly caught up; Raclaw looked ahead to the next cave and realised that he had quite enjoyed the ongoing conversation he had gotten lost in with the fluffy Maverick. And ether as a result of getting lost in said conversation and not noticing OR the new change of pace-- there had been a lot less arguing than before and new sense of peace filled the air. Of course, there were still many things he hadn't yet mentioned-- such as his collar's true purpose and his whole deal with the telepathy-induced corruption. Regardless, he was at peace and was looking forward to the journey ahead. "Come on-- a new shelter awaits.," he said with a smile noting Maverick's sudden silence at the loud roar. The newcomer's fear of dragons would be something they would have to work on overtime.
---
#186 Posted: 00:33:42 30/07/2018
"Veris, let us dismount," Sere ordered. Veris stopped moving, lowering himself so that Sere and Latnok could dismount, which they did after undoing the strappings. They decided that they would proceed the rest of the way on foot, having had sufficient rest. Latnok let Sere and Veris move on ahead, as he stopped to match Angora.
"Tonight, I will be teaching you some of our tricks," he said. "I'll be teaching you a simple spell - force bolt. Considering you can actually string together a coherent sentence, unlike most trolls, and you have familiarity with magical artifacts... I think you may be able to learn some spellcasting. Maybe. Remember - the deal is, you put in an honest effort, and I'LL be the judge of that." Latnok eagerly awaited Angora's response at the proposition, expecting her to balk and protest. If she was teachable, however...
---
I'm just... a guy...
#187 Posted: 00:49:45 30/07/2018
Angora looked unamused and annoyed, feeling this night was going to be worse than expected.
"A magic spell? Seriously? I thought you were just going to order me about the night watch! My position. Maybe the hours I'll be spending! Not some silly trick! If you know so much about trolls, you must know we can't use magic!" Angora said frustratingly, not wanting to learn anything that involved guardian magic, or any magic at all whatsoever. She already had that magic staff that merged with her armor, but back when she had it, it never listened to any of her commands and acted on it's own.

As the group slowly caught up; Raclaw looked ahead to the next cave and realised that he had quite enjoyed the ongoing conversation he had gotten lost in with the fluffy Maverick. And ether as a result of getting lost in said conversation and not noticing OR the new change of pace-- there had been a lot less arguing than before and new sense of peace filled the air. Of course, there were still many things he hadn't yet mentioned-- such as his collar's true purpose and his whole deal with the telepathy-induced corruption. Regardless, he was at peace and was looking forward to the journey ahead. "Come on-- a new shelter awaits.," he said with a smile noting Maverick's sudden silence at the loud roar. The newcomer's fear of dragons would be something they would have to work on overtime.

Maverick walked, not sure on what to say next. Latnok didn't seemed like a bad person, but he was clearly a disturbed individual. Even though he wanted to continue talking to Raclaw, at the same time, he wanted to know what became of Angora. What did she do after she left the crew? How did she ended up in this group? He wanted to know as much as he could, but knowing how the little troll was, he decided to give her some space for the time being, although Latnok was already taking care of going the other way. So instead, he focused on the dragons, and how much they varied in appearance. After minutes of not talking, he finally decided to speak with Raclaw.
"Soooo... everyone cool here, right? Buena onda? The dragons I mean? I mean... they won't slice me or burn me to a crisp? Or... eat me in my sleep?" Maverick asked in a low voice, trying once again to make it sound as a joke so that it wouldn't sound rude. He was quite paranoid at the fact of having so many dragons around him. They were really popular creatures, to the point he even heard about them when out at sea, but not all the stories were pretty. They had quite a bad reputation, and it made Latnok feel uneasy. He didn't want to feel that way, but he did. Raclaw himself, while looking adorable and polite, was still intimidating enough to make Maverick feel wary of him. Despite Raclaw being slightly smaller than the rest of the dragons present, he could still easily devour him whole if he wanted to.
---
#188 Posted: 00:59:52 30/07/2018
Latnok rolled his eyes under his helm. "Now, you see, that's where my experience with troll comes into play. You've never heard of a troll shaman? Quite nasty individuals, not a fun fight at all. Pretty rare, though, 'once in a generation' or some BS like that... So, are you going to try to at least put in an honest effort, like the deal said? Or are you just going to give up without even trying, and prove me right? The choice is yours.
"This isn't some cheap parlor trick I'm trying to teach you. This is magic that makes us as effective as we are. If you want to constantly be contrary to every... single... thing that I say or try to do, however, you are clearly never going to be someone I can consider reliable, and I will have to act accordingly." His tone, unlike most talks with Angora, was rather bland and nonchalant, as if he was completely focused on something else. If he could teach a troll magic... the possibilities!
---
I'm just... a guy...
#189 Posted: 01:08:37 30/07/2018
"Don't worry-- we won't let anything happen to you or do any such thing to you. Everyone here, including myself, is fully independent and wishes no harm upon you or any human. You are perfectly safe here and in fact, probably couldn't be any safer.," Raclaw said with a reassuring smile. "The only minor exceptions are Veris and Storm-- the Wyvern and the yellow-marked Storm Claw. Veris is very dependent on the Guardians and won't hurt you unless ordered to. Storm, on the other hand, is independent but is unable to speak the common tongue. He and I have a sort of arrangement and are able to communicate via telepathy. He won't hurt you ether and you are perfectly safe around him.," he then explained and clarified the status of the two Wyvern-like Dragons. He didn't quite recall if Latnok had mentioned the Guardians to Maverick, but had heard him talking about their armor and numerous other Guardian-related subjects.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 01:14:43 30/07/2018 by redwes
#190 Posted: 01:18:45 30/07/2018
OOC: Every time I'm about to post, there's already a new post smilie

"Ah yes, wyvern! I knew there was a particular name for dragons with two legs and wings." Latnok commented, with the same distracted tone he often used.
"The one with yellow is kinda scary, but he seems restrained enough. I'm a little worried about that black and blue one though. He can't talk like you, that much is clear. And he's completely free, and... well he approached me earlier, and I don't think he had the best intentions." Maverick expressed, feeling very uneasy around Veris in particular. Like Angora, he also noticed his belly was smaller now, which meant it probably had to eat a lot if he digested that fast.

Quote: A Guy
Latnok rolled his eyes under his helm. "Now, you see, that's where my experience with troll comes into play. You've never heard of a troll shaman? Quite nasty individuals, not a fun fight at all. Pretty rare, though, 'once in a generation' or some BS like that... So, are you going to try to at least put in an honest effort, like the deal said? Or are you just going to give up without even trying, and prove me right? The choice is yours.
"This isn't some cheap parlor trick I'm trying to teach you. This is magic that makes us as effective as we are. If you want to constantly be contrary to every... single... thing that I say or try to do, however, you are clearly never going to be someone I can consider reliable, and I will have to act accordingly." His tone, unlike most talks with Angora, was rather bland and nonchalant, as if he was completely focused on something else. If he could teach a troll magic... the possibilities!

"Troll shaman eh? Well then, I must say I never heard of those. My clan never had one of them... but then again, maybe they had and they never told me, cause they were all a bunch of lowlife scums anyway who didn't want anything to do with someone that would make them look weak..." Angora said with a repressed tone, hinting at Latnok just what kind of life she once had. But before replying on the matter, Angora talked again.
"Fine then. Teach me your dumb magic trick! Anything to get you to leave me alone afterwards!" Angora said angrily, determined to listen to almost anything he said if it meant getting him off his back by tomorrow, even though she hated his attempt into manipulating into accepting anyway. Still, it dumbfounded her why Latnok would ever want to teach her magic, especially since it could benefit her later on.
---
#191 Posted: 01:27:15 30/07/2018
OOC: Sorry. smilie

"Although he may seem free, Veris is anything but. As far as I know, he was raised from birth and trained to follow the precise commands of Sere himself, the Godfather of the Guardians. Even if he wanted to, he's duty bound not to hurt you unless ordered to. When he was approaching you earlier, he simply wanted to get to know you in the only way he knew how to. Unless you represent a direct threat to the party, he's completely harmless and well under control.," Raclaw quickly clarified briefly explaining the conditioning Veris had presumily been put under for his entire life.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:49:06 30/07/2018 by redwes
#192 Posted: 01:30:25 30/07/2018
Latnok let out a slight smile, hidden by his helmet. "That's the spirit. We'll see how this goes. Force magic in particular is very intuitive - it is as much physical as it is magical. Being a troll, I don't think the physical aspects of it will be too hard for you. The key is to channel your magic in tune with your physical motions.
"You already have some idea of how to call on your magic artifacts, so it's a pretty similar concept," he continued, his voice becoming slightly more enthusiastic, though he tried to hide it. "We will use that as the base of magic power to draw upon, for now. More skilled mages can pull it from their surroundings, or generate it themselves - similar thing with magical creatures, or Ascended like myself. When we begin, I will explain exactly how the magic flow works, give you a visual of how I see your magic flowing as you change your focus and perform certain motions so you have an idea of what influences it, and show you how to direct it to achieve the desired effect. I will be satisfied if you at the very least try - I'll be amazed if you get the spell down, and may be able to teach you more advanced things." Teaching magic was something that Latnok very much enjoyed, especially force magic - which represented the Guardian ideals perfectly, requiring both a strong body and a quick mind. He had completely forgotten his usual method of talking to Angora, reverting to his instructor mode. "We have two hours to work with - it's possible to get a good foundation in that time, and even cast the spell, but don't be too frustrated if you don't have success immediately."
Sere, overhearing Latnok and his eagerness, smiled to himself. "Exactly what I knew would happen," he telepathed to Angora.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#193 Posted: 02:18:16 30/07/2018
Angora listened to Latnok with half closed eyes and humped, clearly not enthusiastic about having Latnok teaching her anything. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad if it had been anyone else, but it just had to be him. Still, his obvious change in tone didn't go unnoticed, and instead of relieving her, it actually startled her. She has been so used to the insulting, bullying part of Latnok that having him this way was rather unnerving.

"Although he may seem free, Veris is anything but. As far as I know, he was raised from birth and trained to follow the precise commands of Sere himself, the Godfather of the Guardians. Even if he wanted to, he's duty bound not to hurt you unless ordered to. When he was approaching you earlier, he simply wanted to get to know you in the only way he knew how to. Unless you represent a direct threat to the party, he's completely harmless and well under control.," Raclaw quickly clarified briefly explaining the conditioning Veris had presumily been put under for his entire life.

"Is that it? Well, that is interesting. It would be nice to have a pet that could fly you anywhere I want. I would feed him and pet it in it's favorite places and give it a really nice name." Maverick said ecstatically, thinking it would be like having a flying, overgrown dog.

He actually had to wait a second to notice what was that other part he heard.
"Wait now... Godfather of the Guardians? That is a very unusual title..." Maverick then said, trying to process the information. Couldn't be the Huardians he thought about, could it?
---
#194 Posted: 02:50:07 30/07/2018
Raclaw paused, wondering if he had said too much. "Yes-- the Godfather. He is the head of the Ardent Guardians, a human-led organization that Latnok is part of as well under the rank of Executioner. They are an organization dedicated to helping protect mankind and to a degree-- my kind as well. They gain their powers from dragons, as well as both capturing and taming dragons as needed. Latnok or Sere can tell you more ... and in their own words.," he then responded vaguely hinting at some of the Guardian's past and current activities. "Currently, the Guardians and the those in this group are allied for one singular purpose-- saving the world from a creature called Darkmatter. That is why we are traveling through these lands and trying to get to the Mountain of Dreams.," he then added explaining the group's presence beyond the gate and wanting to leave the proper explaining to Latnok or Sere themselves.

There was also the matter about Raclaw's own situation-- about how the Ardent Guardians were both responsible for collaring him and partly responsible to losing him. However, he didn't immediately want to say too much on the subject nor did he want to overwhelm the fluffy newcomer with so much new information so soon after meeting him. Should Maverick stay, he would explain everything in due time-- as well as to Angora to whom he also owed such information. After all, he was partly responsible for the group's next destination after all this was said and done. He wondered what would await them to Redwater and beyond in Falcon's Beak.
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 03:13:51 30/07/2018 by redwes
#195 Posted: 03:16:25 30/07/2018
"Guardians!? The guardian Guardians?" Maverick releated, starting to sweat. He has heard quite a lot about the Guardians from a few sources, but he didn't even dreamed he would find some there. What a day it has been! He found an old friend, met dragons and now it turns out the humans there were Guardians.
"Oh boy, I just... well, I heard about their cause, but I didn't think I'd meet one." Latnok admitted, pacing around, and completely forgetting they were talking about Veris. He still wondered why such a pristine organization with such a noble cause would need an Excecutioner, but he imagined not everyone agreed with their cause and had to get violent from time to time. Maverick hated violence, but he knew it was sometimes necessary when the other party didn't leave you a choice.
---
#196 Posted: 04:01:17 30/07/2018 | Topic Creator
“They are going to help me find more of my kind after this is over.” Shade said.
---
SC
#197 Posted: 04:20:28 30/07/2018
Maverick was rather surprised to hear Shade talk too, but he expected as much.
"Well... maybe I can help with that..." he offered meekly, keeping his distance.
"Oh hey, we haven't introduced myself. I'm Maverick." he said, but with a wave of his hand rather than a handshake like with Raclaw. Shade was probably nice, but he was far more intimidating than the fur dragon.
---
#198 Posted: 10:30:19 30/07/2018
Sere, overhearing the discussion between Maverick and Raclaw, decided to offer a more thorough explanation. "Yes - Latnok and I are members of the Ardent Guardians, with myself being the head," he said. "We seek to protect humanity and our allies by becoming more powerful than most humans could ever become. As the 'Ardent' in our name would indicate, we are fervent believers of our cause, and dedicate our lives and our time to keeping others safe from the threat of monsters which most humans would striggle to even harm, or those who would seek to use their own power to harm and subjugate the weak." As Sere spoke, he used telpathic images to illustrate his words.
"Our origin was, of course, as a human militia, of which many sacrificed their lives to use the initial version of the ritual to win decisive battles. However, our umbrella has been expanding as our capabilities have and our allies have increased - we are on very good terms with mermen, for example, and have been ever since the Battle of Redwater centuries ago.
"Though many of our own kind fear us and our capabilities, they know that we are highly effective at our job, and to call on us when they are in need. This is as a direct result of the training and transformation we go through. Not only are we individually powerful, we also know more than anyone exactly what the weakness of every creature is, how to fight them, et cetera.
"As Raclaw has indicated, we have quite the history with dragons. It is a dragon who taught us the ritual which first gave us power at a steep cost, which we would eventually modify to what it is today. We have worked with dragons quite often for mutual goals. We have also fought a lot of them, however - much like humans, dragons can be good or bad, and we will not hesitate to stomp out the evil ones. Unfortunately, with the exoansion of humanity and other major races, dragons have become rarer and rarer. We have tried to compromise by showing that dragons could be raised to... be controllable and work perfectly in tandem with humans. Though we were aiming for something mutually beneficial, I realize that we may have failed in that regard... Regardless, as dragons had no more eggs they would freely offer, we cancelled the program.
"Nowadays, I am trying to foster peace with more sapient races - more peace means, of course, less fighting, and fewer men that I have to send out knowing that they might not return. Every one of my men is precious to me; I personally attend to the death of each one. I seek to eventually create a world where I never have to do that again. I know it will never happen; nevertheless, I will keep trying. But sometimes, the hard, unpleasant decisions have to be made foer the greater good, and I cannot hesitate to make those decisions." Sere's telepathy stopped, as did his description. He waited to see how Maverick would take all of the information he was just given.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#199 Posted: 12:38:50 30/07/2018
Maverick listened with intent as Sere tried to calmly explained. Angora was green with sickness at the thought of Maverick being one of them. Did he have any idea what he was dealing with? She let Sere explained, and based on his blanc expression, she correctly deduced he was being shown a vision. Like the troll, Maverick wasn't exactly a fan of this practice, but came to realize that he'd have to get use to hit with this guys. As Sere explained, the young man's face changed completely, becoming an extreme pale white when he mentioned the word merman, but then went back to normal to let Sere finish up his explanation.

Once he was done with that and the image, Maverick looked... disappointed.
"Wait, military camp? Control? Fights? Unpleasant decisions?" Maverick repeated, trying to process everything Sere told him.
"Your place... it looks more ready for war than for peace." he observed, downed at how the camp looked. It did indeed looked more like a military facility than a camp where they could discuss peace with other species. It was as if it was ready for war than a peace treatment. Even if their intentions were good, Maverick believed they were doing things all wrong. He could understand that they had weapons in order to defend themselves from hostile beings, but having so many? Whoever looked at their place could easily mistake them as anything but a peaceful society.

Angora would've looked pleased to see somebody disappointed at the Guardian's supposed ideals, but in actuality, she was feeling quite sorry for him. He looked quite exited about them when discussing it with Raclaw. As she was slowly remembering her times with him, she was reminded how fond she was once of him. Maverick was quite the idiot, but he could be serious and intelligent when he wanted to. In the end, he really meant well, and has been the ONLY being in this entire biased world who never gave up on her.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:39:48 30/07/2018 by Felines
#200 Posted: 13:13:15 30/07/2018
Sere was always unpleased with the unpleasant realities - but they had a job to do, and he had to be ready. "Unfortunately," he began, "peace is not as simple as laying down weapons. Even if everyone were to do that, there would be some that would be naturally stronger than others, and they would rule by force. The reality is, peace will only come when fighting is a net negative for both sides.
"Let's say that, theoretically, you had two nations. Both of these nations hate each other with every fiber of their beings; they both contest similar resources; and both of these nations have magic so powerful that they can wipe each other out, but not before the other nation can respond in kind. Now, do these nations go to war?
"They do not - war would be ruinous for both of them. So they have peace - neither wants to be the one to force the other to use their magic, after which they would respond in kind. In a similar vein, staying armed and trained helps us preserve peace - when others don't want to attack a village because they know we will retaliate if they do, they avoid doing so, and nobody has to fight.
"In an ideal world, none of this would be necessary. But I have been alive for more than a century - and history has been around for much, much longer - and both history and my experience have shown me that peace isn't something that is just granted - it is something to be enforced.
"Now, if nations were to trade more, for example, and become highly reliant on each other for trading, they wouldn't go to war. That isn't within my control, though - that is within the control of the leaders of those nations. All I can do is what we have the capabilities for. We must keep trying for the ideal - but the steps to the ideal are founded on reality."
---
I'm just... a guy...
First | Previous | Page 4 of 50 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 48 49 50

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me