Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > What's your favourite Spyro videogame? And why?
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
What's your favourite Spyro videogame? And why?
Dragon96 Green Sparx Gems: 133
#1 Posted: 22:29:30 10/01/2018 | Topic Creator
What's your favourite Spyro videogame? And why you love that game?
BlackNight12 Gold Sparx Gems: 2343
#2 Posted: 05:24:56 11/01/2018
Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly.

Because of everything.

I do not care about the glitches, this wasn't my first Spyro game (I have been around since the obscure pre-release demos), but this game was a very big part of my childhood.

I loves it. ^_^
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
cyndego Platinum Sparx Gems: 6382
#3 Posted: 08:30:17 11/01/2018
Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer

Was my first Spyro game, and I still love it. I would say 1-3 all are great, 2 wins just because of the memories.
---
Cogito, ergo sum.
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#4 Posted: 08:43:53 11/01/2018
Quote: BlackNight12

Because of everything.

I do not care about the glitches, this wasn't my first Spyro game (I have been around since the obscure pre-release demos), but this game was a very big part of my childhood.

I loves it. smilie

W-wow. If your saying that non sarcastically/ non ironically, I appreciate you a whole lot. That game gets a whole lot of unneeded hate and i enjoy it a bunch as well.

As for me, I can specify just one single Spyro game, I play the first four as one cohesive experience and enjoy them so much.
If I had to, it'd be Spyro 2
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:20:20 11/01/2018 by Bryman04
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7660
#5 Posted: 08:46:43 11/01/2018
Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer. This was the game that I spent countless hours of my childhood playing, it brings back so much nostalgia <3
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
cyndego Platinum Sparx Gems: 6382
#6 Posted: 09:03:21 11/01/2018
Quote: Jaggedstar
Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer. This was the game that I spent countless hours of my childhood playing, it brings back so much nostalgia <3

I think it would be great to see the time used to play this game...... I Say it would outdo all the new games I have played smilie
---
Cogito, ergo sum.
#7 Posted: 09:40:56 11/01/2018 | Topic Creator
I love the original ps1 trilogy. My first game for ps1 was Spyro 2 gateway to glimmer and i love all the levels of the game. My favourite levels are Zephyr And Fracture Hills but all the levels are beautiful.
#8 Posted: 11:13:14 11/01/2018 | Topic Creator
My favourite levels of Spyro 1 are wizard peak and haunted towers. I had some problems in tree tops ahah
#9 Posted: 11:32:18 11/01/2018 | Topic Creator
I hope in a remastered with new music by Stewart Copeland.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#10 Posted: 12:52:16 11/01/2018
Legend of Spyro: Eternal Night. I only watched the classics so I can't be a good judge of those, and as much fun as I had with A Hero's Tail, I don't feel like it aged as well. Better small fun with only acceptable gameplay and an entertaining story than having to sit through highs and lows all the time, sometimes.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#11 Posted: 13:33:47 11/01/2018 | Topic Creator
I also have spyro season of fame for game boy and i liked it because it was one of the first games that i had for game boy.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#12 Posted: 13:37:52 11/01/2018
I'm a bit split. As far as control and gameplay go, my favorite is Ripto's Rage. Spyro hands down controls the best here. Not to mention the amazing skips and sequence breaking you can do in that game (double jump glitch hyyyyyype). It's also probably got my favorite homeworlds. But I'm iffy on the soundtrack. Year of the Dragon is definitely my favorite soundtrack in the series. And I think the original has the bet atmosphere, if that makes sense. As in, it feels the most like an epic adventure, as opposed to a bunch of random worlds thrown together with no coherent order to them. <.<
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Project_Unnamed Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10125
#13 Posted: 13:54:52 11/01/2018
It has to be one out of the original trilogy. I have to say Year of the Dragon with Spyro the Dragon and Gateway to Glimmer sharing the silver medal. It still has most versatile gameplay experience out of any Spyro game. It still has the most versatile gameplay out of those three and longer gameplay and more content. Gateway to Glimmer would be easy winner if it had more levels. Spyro the Dragon is relatively short game which is of course due to its first-of-the-series nature more than understandable. And of course Spyro the Dragon has the best soundtrack and atmosphere but it feels quite raw and therefore out of top competition. But my pick is still Year of the Dragon even though it's gameplay is not that fluid and has some uninteresting levels.
---
I might give you more opinions... for a small fee of course.
NSane Bandicoot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3112
#14 Posted: 17:51:29 11/01/2018
Spyro:Year Of The Dragon for me. Beautiful levels, intresting characters, fun bosses, amazing OST(as usual). Another big reason is because it was the first game I ever played so it holds a special place in my heart. My 2nd favourite one is Spyro 1.
---
Kickstart my Heart
#15 Posted: 18:02:12 11/01/2018 | Topic Creator
I love the cloud spires ost and the fireworks factory ost. An other music that i love is the music of molten crater and the sergeant byrd base.
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#16 Posted: 18:20:34 11/01/2018
Hard to choose between Gateway to Glimmer and Year of the Dragon.
The former wins because of nostalgia and its amazing atmospheres and soundtrack, but I overall “objectively” prefer the latter.

The first game obviously holds a special place in my heart, and probably still has the best level design of the Classic Trilogy, but its sequels are simply better in all its other aspects, in my opinion.

Attack of the Rhynocs is an honorable mention as far as mobile games go, and Hero’s Tail is my favorite of the non-Insomniac era.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:39:27 12/01/2018 by Drek95
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9212
#17 Posted: 20:30:21 11/01/2018
Spyro 2, because I generally enjoy pretty much all of the orb challenges that the game has to offer, and I really like how the home worlds are themed, I also like that Spyro interacts with Ripto, whereas in 3, he never has screen time with the Sorceress, I like how you get a new ability for every home world, and I enjoy doing a little back tracking. In Spyro 3, I don't really like the extra characters, I just find that they slow down the gameplay too much, especially Bentley, and Agent 9. Sheila is probably the most to enjoyable to play as.

I know I made a lot of comparisons between Spyro 2 and 3, but I feel these two are pretty similar compared to the first one. Now I really enjoy the first one, but it lacks in decent bosses, they pretty much feel like ordinary levels, and the only one that feels like a boss is Metalhead in my opinion.

The one thing I do like about Spyro 3 is that you already have your abilities at the start, so at least you don't have to unlock them again.

MY TOP 5 SPYRO GAMES:

1. Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer (1999) (Insomniac Games/Sony/Universal)
2. Spyro the Dragon (1998) (Insomniac Games/Sony/Universal)
3. Spyro: Year of the Dragon (2000) (Insomniac Games/Sony/Universal)
4. Spyro: A Hero's Tail (2004) (PS2) (Eurocom/Sierra/Vivendi Universal)
5. Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly (2002) (PS2) (Equinoxe Digital Entertainment with Check Six/Universal)
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:28:09 12/01/2018 by SuperSpyroFan
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8506
#18 Posted: 21:05:50 11/01/2018
My Top 5 Spyro Games:

1. Spyro (2): Ripto's Rage!/Gateway to Glimmer
2. Spyro (3): Year of the Dragon
3. Spyro the Dragon
4. Spyro: A Hero's Tail
5. Spyro: Shadow Legacy
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#19 Posted: 21:38:53 11/01/2018
Spyro: A Hero's Tail and the original Spyro the Dragon.

The former because it was my first Spyro game and I've been playing it for years and I love every play through, and the latter because it's beautifully simple, and has the best (IMO) soundtrack.
#20 Posted: 21:59:06 11/01/2018 | Topic Creator
I had Spyro enter the dragonfly some years ago and i know that this game have many glitches but i finished it in a few days.
Beemo Gold Sparx Gems: 2828
#21 Posted: 23:01:47 11/01/2018
A tie between Ripto's Rage! and Year of the Dragon. They're both really fun, they have great atmosphere and beautiful worlds, quirky characters, awesome voice acting, and, of course, Stewart Copeland's score is outstanding. Year of the Dragon also has skateboarding, and both games feature Tom Kenny as Spyro, my favorite voice for the character.
---
I hate this name and I want to change it.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 23:07:53 11/01/2018 by Beemo
#22 Posted: 00:01:33 12/01/2018 | Topic Creator
I can't choose because i love all the trilogy. Spyro 1 was the last game of the trilogy that i have played.
BlackNight12 Gold Sparx Gems: 2343
#23 Posted: 04:55:49 12/01/2018
Quote: Bryman04

Because of everything.

I loves it. ^_^

W-wow. If your saying that non sarcastically/ non ironically, I appreciate you a whole lot. That game gets a whole lot of unneeded hate and i enjoy it a bunch as well.

As for me, I can specify just one single Spyro game, I play the first four as one cohesive experience and enjoy them so much.

Yes, I am definitely being 100% serious. I really love that game, and it is very important to me. ^_^

I agree, people hate on it too much. There's plenty of shorter/more glitched out video games. I'm really happy to see someone else who enjoys the game on here as well!

****high five!****
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#24 Posted: 06:09:02 12/01/2018
Quote: Bryman04

Because of everything.

I loves it. smilie

Yes, I am definitely being 100% serious. I really love that game, and it is very important to me. smilie

I agree, people hate on it too much. There's plenty of shorter/more glitched out video games. I'm really happy to see someone else who enjoys the game on here as well!

****high five!****

*Returns the high-five*
#25 Posted: 08:42:56 12/01/2018 | Topic Creator
I think that every level of Spyro 4 is a remind of a preovious level of the other games of Spyro. For example luau island is a remind of idol springs and monkey monastery is a remind of the level colossus.
LegendaryFlames Emerald Sparx Gems: 3779
#26 Posted: 15:36:11 13/01/2018
This question is too hard lol. I'm gonna have to say The Eternal Night, but I also really love A New Beginning, Gateway to Glimmer and A Hero's Tail. I just love the atmosphere in The Eternal Night and being able to play as Dark Spyro is pretty awesome. Also the first two Legend of Spyro games have my favourite Spyro artstyle so that's a plus too!
---
smilie@Jetbytes everywhere elsesmilie
#27 Posted: 15:48:19 13/01/2018 | Topic Creator
Eternal night was my favourite game of the new trilogy.
danyq94 Gold Sparx Gems: 2787
#28 Posted: 15:08:27 14/01/2018
Spyro 2.

Avalar is beautiful
---
I love Crash & Spyro! Visit my italian site:
http://crashzone.forumcommunity.net
#29 Posted: 15:23:43 14/01/2018
Quote: Dragon96
Eternal night was my favourite game of the new trilogy.

It's not exactly new. TEN is 11 years old.
---
#30 Posted: 15:45:38 14/01/2018 | Topic Creator
You're right ahah
fyra Platinum Sparx Gems: 6412
#31 Posted: 20:01:01 14/01/2018
For classics,Spyro 2,even if I have fond memories of ETD being my first Spyro game on the Gamecube,my copy was not really glitchy,I had to force the glitches to happen because otherwise it played just fine,A Hero Tail on the other side glitched far more(the version I have),for Legend,it’s TEN(ps2 version),I have a fondness for the Krome era so DOTD was a bit disappointing.Skylanders,well only played and own Giants....and don’t really like the merchandise driven concept of it but do like the idea of characters with different abilities,elements and that no same elements will play the exact same,still would prefer a menu where you unlock them by in game means.
---
Life may be harsh in such a dark year, happy new year we said an eternity ago it seem now, but it's far from over, we will survive.
Spyrobaby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4254
#32 Posted: 01:02:18 20/02/2018
It's really hard to do this so I'll rank what I class as the 5 classics. I'll try anyway smilie

1. Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer

I flit between whether I think Spyro 2 or 3 is my favourite because I really struggle. But I think Spyro 2 is a better game. I LOVE the homeworlds, especially Autumn Plains, I like the levels are often a lot nicer, and I think it's more original and I love the orb challenges. The music fits so well as well, like I've often thought it was the weakest soundtrack but recently I've realised just how well each track fits with its level. There's no levels I dislike in this game, and it's the perfect balance of challenging and fun. I love this game <3

2. Spyro: Year of the Dragon

I've often said that this is my favourite, and part of that is because it is the first Spyro game I ever played when I was 3. It has the nostalgia factor, and the first half of the game I think is unsurpassable. However, I don't enjoy the levels in Evening Lake much in comparison, and there's some aspects I find too hard to the point it's not fun, hence why this game is second. The soundtrack is outstanding though, and I love the variety with the different playable characters (apart from Agent 9, he's not my fave) and variety of mini games. The skateboarding in Sunny Villa and Enchanted Towers is amazing. So this and Spyro 2 are very close but I think Spyro 2 just pips it.

3. Spyro the Dragon

The first game is great. It's short, it's sweet, most of it is quite easy, but it's the first game, you can't not love it. It isn't quite as good as the more refined Insomniac sequels, but it's always fun to play and is still quite challenging in parts! The music is excellent and although there isn't any dialogue apart from with the other dragons, it still works and doesn't feel empty. However, I can complete the game in 3 hours or less, and it is easier than the others, so it's not one that can be replayed in quick succession as well as the sequels. There's nothing that's not enjoyable in the game though.

4. Spyro: A Hero's Tail

If I'm being honest, I think this is almost equal (but not quite, not as close as GtG and YoTD are) with the first game and I flip between which is my favourite of the two quite regularly. The reason I sometimes put it first is because it's a longer game, I can play it multiple times in a row without getting bored (not that it's something I do much). I like the art style, even though it's different to the previous game, I like Spyro's voice acting and the fact that some of the dialogue pokes fun and breaks the fourth wall, I like the levels and music a lot and find it overall a very fun game. However, some of it is way too hard, the Blink challenges aren't fun, just frustrating, and I find the entirety of the last homeworld to be lacking and dull (though the very final level is an interesting design and I appreciate the variety). There are loads of positives to this game though. Playing as Hunter and Sparx is extremely fun, I LOVE the ball gadget, the Spyro shooting mini games are very fun and Sgt Byrd can be great, though a couple of the challenges are more than slightly frustrating. The boss battles are very lacking and I don't think the arena style works as well as in YoTD where they still managed to be interesting.

5. Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly

Don't get me wrong, I really, really like EtD. I think it was rushed, was made by developers who couldn't quite maximise the potential of the game, and as such it wasn't as good as it could have been. There weren't many levels which made it shorter than the others, and only having one homeworld was a bit disappointing. I wasn't a big fan of the character designs, they looked a bit... odd? Compared to the original trilogy, and you'd hope the increased graphical capabilities of the PS2 compared to the PS1 would mean it would be a better looking game, but character-wise this wasn't the case. The levels however, are STUNNING. Luau Island, Cloud 9 and Thieves Den in particular are two of my favourite levels in Spyro, and the music is my favourite similarly. It's obvious a lot of effort was put into the level design (the rainbows in Cloud 9 ahhhhh I love them) and the finishing touches such as the flame breath and all the little particle things (don't know the technical term), however the characters didn't live up to this, and the slowness of the game could be unbearable, and to be frank, you expect better. While in other games (and there are instances of this in this game) the glitches are fun and interesting, but in this game they can be unplayable. For example, some levels have no picture, in Monkey Monastery during the 'skiing' challenge I fell off and instead of dying, just kept falling, and similar glitches. It's the most frustrating game to play for these reasons, and what's sad is that with a bit more time it could have been really good. It looks so good but falls short on so many levels.
---
The darkness only stays at nighttime, in the morning it'll fade away. Daylight's good at arriving at the right time, it's not always going to be this grey~
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#33 Posted: 01:27:48 20/02/2018
Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure :^)
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Buchi Ripto Gems: 445
#34 Posted: 01:54:18 20/02/2018
I have never played a Spyro game. Giants is my favourite Skylanders game, but I don't consider Skylanders games Spyro games.
Lunarz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3328
#35 Posted: 02:20:32 20/02/2018
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure :^)

it says spyro video game :^)
---
Lanky Kong saved me despite having no style nor grace.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9212
#36 Posted: 09:11:21 20/02/2018
Quote: Buchi
I have never played a Spyro game. Giants is my favourite Skylanders game, but I don't consider Skylanders games Spyro games.

I agree with you, Skylanders is a spin-off.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
Buchi Ripto Gems: 445
#37 Posted: 12:44:24 20/02/2018
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

I agree with you, Skylanders is a spin-off.

I see it as more of a completely separate franchise. Spyro was a cash grab for the first game, forgotten afterwards, it seems.
#38 Posted: 19:07:13 20/02/2018

I see it as more of a completely separate franchise. Spyro was a cash grab for the first game, forgotten afterwards, it seems.

Except that didn't happen except for the marketing side? He's a companion NPC in Imaginators for several levels(even if you can play as him at the same time, don't ask me why) and he's the main character in several books and comics. It's far from Rabbids(since now they seem to be in some sort of alternate Earth rather than the Glade of Dreams), I'd kinda compare it to NiGHTs in Sonic games where they're seen often and it's never quite clear if it's the same universe; though it's a bit of a strech since NiGHTs is only playable in the spinoffs.

Though yes. As much as Acti wanted it to be a reboot, I feel like they're separate franchises. It's not really Spyro's world and story like it was in LoS either, he just got invited to spend a few years beating up people in another dimension, spend time with some new friends, help out the newcomers. He isn't the protagonist, because the Skylanders, including him, are collectively the lead. The only thing that's shared is a fandom, because as long as a Spyro fan complains, they're pretty much intertwined.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 19:16:55 20/02/2018 by Bifrost
#39 Posted: 19:26:34 20/02/2018
Spyro Year of the Dragon and AHT are my favorites.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
okami12 Gold Sparx Gems: 2205
#40 Posted: 18:40:44 06/03/2018
Spyro 2 gateway to glimmer the main reason is the atmosphere and the setting of avalar also I do have a lot of nostalgia towards two i enjoyed many a playthough with alone and with my mam it’s a game that relaxes me I just like to walk through this world
Basically just watch this video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9fiESUHLn-Q

I think I love this game too much infact my dog Stella a staffyxwhippet does agility and her agility name is mystic marsh I might do agility with my other dogs cynder (yes I named her after cynder) who will probably get a spyro 1 themed name and our other dog Disney a spyro 3 themed name
pankakesparx456 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7795
#41 Posted: 12:35:25 05/04/2018
Has to be Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night. And funny enough, not the console version, the Nintendo DS version. Maybe it's the nostalgia I have for that particular version, but I spent more time playing that one than any other Spyro game, especially since I didn't really care for the console version from a gameplay standpoint. The only other Spyro game I remember spending a lot of time on was Dawn of the Dragon on Wii.

As far as the original games go, probably either of the GBA titles because they're the only decent exposure I've had to the original series. Most of my exposure to the series came from TLoS.

Never played a Skylanders game, which is surprising considering how much I wanted the first two games when I was younger.
---
Cool cool.
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5337
#42 Posted: 13:58:14 05/04/2018
Year of the Dragon. It was actually the first video game I owned that wasn't a hand-me-down from my older cousin (the first game I owned period was Sonic the Hedgehog 2, but that holds a different place in my heart).
---
Boop me if you see this.
#43 Posted: 14:02:17 05/04/2018
The Reignited Trilogy is my favorite already!

But of the classics, Year of The Dragon.
---
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1216
#44 Posted: 16:05:21 05/04/2018
Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer. Enchanting music, gorgeous level design, wonderful characters and a story I could really get behind that hit all the right notes. Spyro the Dragon is the easiest to start and finish because I can switch off my brain and not have to worry about mini-games or cutscenes. smilie
WAMBurt1984 Gold Sparx Gems: 2896
#45 Posted: 23:21:53 05/01/2019
Spyro 3: Year of the dragon, first Spyro games I bought & played (Even I played one Spyro 2 level game on Demo before) and played it alot, back in the days during Playstation 1 days, not sure it called it my childhood I was going to college, called be called a child.
---
British, Geek, Playstation player, Spyro & Sparx fan (Duo not shipping) & Rachet & Clark/Crash/Xbox hater.
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#46 Posted: 17:45:57 06/01/2019
The first Skylanders if that counts. But if not, I guess A Hero's Tail because I've only played that and dawn of the Dragon. It's an okay game, nothing too great but it can be very fun at times.
---
Bruh
Archae Emerald Sparx Gems: 4182
#47 Posted: 19:49:05 06/01/2019
Dawn Of The Dragon for me.

I love how Spyro looked, Cynder and Malefor too.

It's just plain epic.

And the music is great.
---
Gunter glieben glauten globen...
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me