First | Page 2 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4
What went wrong with Skylanders?
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#51 Posted: 11:49:09 10/08/2017
Because for every kid that's sick of Kaos, there are a dozen who'd riot if he wasn't there.

Glumshanks is also not a fighter man, not sure what kind of idea that is.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#52 Posted: 12:46:22 10/08/2017
I agree, Kaos shouldn't always be the FINAL boss. SSC was a breath of fresh air in that regard.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#53 Posted: 12:54:27 10/08/2017
Quote: Drawdler
^ I don't get when people say this sonce Kaos was the final onfoot boss and it's not like the final final boss had a leadup level. It was more like Kaos was a phase 1.

True, actually. Never thought of it that way. At least Kaos wasn't the last part.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#54 Posted: 13:20:17 10/08/2017
Yeah, that's the best compromise if they can't remove him. Heck, the justification was pretty smart as well, since he's the Evil to TD's Oblivion.
---
diddy50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2554
#55 Posted: 14:00:25 10/08/2017
The unnecessary greed of activision was the ultimate factor. The cost of the figures constantly increasing, bigger figures to make it seem worth it, which we know was not needed. The giants were large and lit up, the swappers had two parts each needing two chips in them, those i can see the cost being worth more, but then the trap masters, superchargers and vehicles, and senseis being the same price but with less features for the cost.
Parents like the lowest price possible for childrens toys, kids lose interest quick and move on. Why activision pushed this so hard and quick is what they do, yearly releases of lots of characters...ugh, they just ruin every franchise as quick as they can. They can blame other factors all they want but we all know how they opperate.
KingMed Gold Sparx Gems: 2456
#56 Posted: 17:24:05 10/08/2017
Greed Happend
ChillStealthElf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1864
#57 Posted: 23:56:14 22/08/2017
Quote: axarce
I agree with a lot of what was said above. The one thing that does bother me is how Kaos is the main villain you have to defeat at the end of every game. My kids keep asking why is it always him? Why does he keep escaping? Why can't we fight a different villain? I'd definitely would continue to be interested if the franchise expanded the story with a new main villain and let me reuse my trap crystals and vehicles from TT and SC in a more meaningful way.

With Imaginators, I would like to see the game continue to be updated and new levels added. Maybe use a new level to lead into the next version of the game. That would probably be a good way to introduce a whole new villain and retire Kaos already. Make Glumshanks a character we can play as would be a bonus.

yeah, while I don't mind Kaos too much it does get annoying having the same big bad every time...this is a problem I have with the Mario series too, as good as Bowser is I'm just sick of every game ( even in the unfortunate mess Paper Mario has become these days ) being "Bowser kidnapped Peach again" ( 3D World being the lone exception ). Why can't Mario fight Wart, Tatanga or Dimentio again? and why can't Malefor, Ripto or a completely new foe attack Skylands?
nitendofan92 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4572
#58 Posted: 16:50:16 23/08/2017
Quote: ChillStealthElf
Quote: axarce
I agree with a lot of what was said above. The one thing that does bother me is how Kaos is the main villain you have to defeat at the end of every game. My kids keep asking why is it always him? Why does he keep escaping? Why can't we fight a different villain? I'd definitely would continue to be interested if the franchise expanded the story with a new main villain and let me reuse my trap crystals and vehicles from TT and SC in a more meaningful way.

With Imaginators, I would like to see the game continue to be updated and new levels added. Maybe use a new level to lead into the next version of the game. That would probably be a good way to introduce a whole new villain and retire Kaos already. Make Glumshanks a character we can play as would be a bonus.

yeah, while I don't mind Kaos too much it does get annoying having the same big bad every time...this is a problem I have with the Mario series too, as good as Bowser is I'm just sick of every game ( even in the unfortunate mess Paper Mario has become these days ) being "Bowser kidnapped Peach again" ( 3D World being the lone exception ). Why can't Mario fight Wart, Tatanga or Dimentio again? and why can't Malefor, Ripto or a completely new foe attack Skylands?

what about the paper mario, mario rpg and mario&luigi?
---
THE END IS NEAR
#59 Posted: 17:03:27 23/08/2017
Bowser works because he constantly changes sides if it benefits him, but in the main games, he doesn't overstay his welcome. If you had a cutscene every new world in Galaxy of Bowser yelling at Kamek, for example, it'd get old quick. But in TTYD where it's funny to see him fail to impact the plot, it's entertaining to see him during a chapter and goof around on his levels.

I think that's why Kaos stops being entertaining after a point as well despite marketing team keeping him as the villain set in stone; he's fun but he has limits. After watching Academy I noticed I enjoy him goofing off and having a normal day a lot more than boasting about his victory/loss in the games; it's a shame they couldn't follow up on David's attempt at continuity on the comics and have him work with the Skylanders to remove competition until he can get his powers back.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:04:05 23/08/2017 by Bifrost
acrobat_18 Green Sparx Gems: 269
#60 Posted: 05:38:46 24/08/2017
50% Greed, 40% laziness and 10% stupidity. After Swap Force, older characters seem meaningless.
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#61 Posted: 12:05:57 02/09/2017
Quote: acrobat_18
50% Greed, 40% laziness and 10% stupidity. After Swap Force, older characters seem meaningless.

put that greed to at least 60%
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#62 Posted: 04:47:18 03/09/2017
Making money is not greed in my eyes, but not taking care of the obvious signs and throttle back accordingly to EXTEND the life of the franchise was their downfall. I'm betting they had a "do not cross" line, and unfortunately for us, their need for that green was higher than keeping the franchise intact.
Bankes102 Green Sparx Gems: 287
#63 Posted: 22:42:08 12/09/2017
Personally, one major problem for my kids and myself was the fact they would release the same character for 3 or more games. My kids only wanted 1 spyro... (thank god). Releasing a new pose of an old figure is just asking for a drop in sales. Some die hard fans or collectors will buy them.. but the majority of us will pass on purchasing an old character for a newer one.

Another problem is the shear number of toys released with each installment. If that number was cut in half, I don't think you would see 40 of the same character sitting on the shelf while 0 of another. More people would buy the whole set (including the lame figures of the set) if the total number of figures was lower.

The biggest problem for me for every game since giants, is the fact the older figures are phased out and are now worthless. Each game should have a way to enhance or improve your old characters. I'm not saying to allow them to be better than the new ones for the new game.. but, after spending hundreds of dollars on the old figures through the years I would enjoy using them in the new game. Yes, I know you still can, but the difference in strength is too much. You may say this will cause a drop in sales for the new figures.. I don't think so. We would all still buy the new figures. If they lowered the number of new figures to a more reasonable number that is. 20+ figures per game is too many in my opinion. Producing so many per game guarantees you will have certain turds covering the shelf since people would rather have the better figures since they cant afford them all.

These are my issues with the series. I am a big RPG player. I love character building and stat increases etc etc. If this series would incorporate some of those ideas, I think this series would stay alive easily with the older players. They need to realize not just kids play these games.
acrobat_18 Green Sparx Gems: 269
#64 Posted: 15:05:59 13/09/2017
What brought the downfall is a combination of laziness, greed, and shadiness towards customers during Superchargers. The consumer bitterness carried on to Imaginators even though Imaginators was a more superior game than Superchargers.
SkyFan91 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1806
#65 Posted: 15:42:13 13/09/2017
What brought the downfall is a combination of laziness, greed, and shadiness towards customers during Superchargers. The consumer bitterness carried on to Imaginators even though Imaginators was a more superior game than Superchargers.

the greed and shadiness was shown more during Trap Team actually
danyq94 Gold Sparx Gems: 2787
#66 Posted: 17:17:38 13/09/2017
The Toys to Life market has become ultra saturated in recent years.
Moreover, the series has not evolved more so from the third chapter to the present.
It's also true that Skylanders is this: toys that come to life.
Changing by giving something new (not cars, swap characters or characters creations, but something more technical) is very, very difficult. And a net change could bring a lot of criticism on the part of the fans.
---
I love Crash & Spyro! Visit my italian site:
http://crashzone.forumcommunity.net
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#67 Posted: 18:03:37 13/09/2017
Quote: SkyFan91

Actually, it was there since Spyro's Adventure.
---
Bruh
#68 Posted: 19:01:05 13/09/2017
Quote: Crash10
Quote: SkyFan91

Actually, it was there since Spyro's Adventure.

I know that but they REALLY shown that during trap team
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#69 Posted: 21:13:09 13/09/2017
Yeah, Trap Team is where they got hardcore greedy. You had figures reposed for the 4th time. Minis. Trap Masters. Regular figures. Alt-decos galore. Adventure Packs. Traps. And Eon's Elite, for $25 a pop. All after you bought the Starter pack which only came with two figures that time.
emeraldzoroark Platinum Sparx Gems: 5357
#70 Posted: 21:53:40 13/09/2017
I'm biased, but I can admit Trap Team's Element Gates weren't the best idea.
---
Soon.
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#71 Posted: 22:50:23 13/09/2017
Yeah, what makes me prefer Trap Team over SuperChargers (to the point of it being my favorite game in the series) is the values of what all those figures had to offer.

I'm pretty sure it still has the highest number of toys to buy but let's break it down:
- lots of new Cores and Trap Masters, which offered new gameplays and replayability;
- traps, completely optional in case you weren't interested in the villain gimmick, and you only needed 1 per Element to play as all the characters;
- 2 Adventure Packs and 2 Expansion Packs which offered 4 new levels, 4 Skylanders and a couple new magic items and traps;
- Minis, just cuter and maybe faster versions of already exsisting characters;
- Eon's Elites, basically for true hardcore collectors;
- the usual reposes and variants.
Let's not forget that while the Starter Pack came with only two Skylanders at least they were both brand new.

So, outside of Minis, Eon's Elites, reposes and variants there were still a lot to buy but also a lot of content and fun to be had.
Traptanium Elemental Gates were a mistake, no doubt about that.

On the other hand we have SuperChargers:
- 10 new Skylanders;
- 18 vehicles, with only one of each Terrain type being needed in case you wanted to fully experience the game;
- 3 Racing Action Packs, completely optional in case you weren't interested in the racing aspect since I'm pretty sure all their Skylanders and vehicles came out as Single Packs, eventually;
- 10 cleverly glorified reposes, which still offered new gameplays nonetheless;
- 2 console exclusive characters and vehicles which only mattered for Nintendo users;
- more Eon's Elites;
- more variants than actual new faces, probably, also distributed horribly.
And to top this all, a Starter Pack with only 2 character (one of which being part of said reposes) and only one vehicle to match the single brand new character.

Not a lot to buy after all, assuming we aren't talking about die-hard collectors, even less if you weren't interest in vehicles.
Sadly, this means less post-game content as well.

So I vastly prefer Trap Team's huge roster and other toys to buy, because at least I truly wanted every single figure I bought and enjoyed what they had to offer.
Can't say the same for its sequel.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 09:00:37 14/09/2017 by Drek95
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#72 Posted: 00:00:26 14/09/2017
Trap Team's biggest fault was the roster that was a ridiculous size, but I love the characters they introduced and the amazing gimmick and game itself made up for it.

It makes me super nostalgic because it reminds me of the first two games. It's my second favorite in the series.
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#73 Posted: 00:09:26 14/09/2017
Quote: Chompy-King257
Trap Team's biggest fault was the roster that was a ridiculous size, but I love the characters they introduced and the amazing gimmick and game itself made up for it.

It makes me super nostalgic because it reminds me of the first two games. It's my second favorite in the series.

Yeah, one could argue that Trap Team was great for average players because it had tons of options for players to pick from. It sucked for those collecting, but if buying them all isn't your thing it had loads of different ways to play. However, even if you aren't collecting them all - that feeling that they had jumped the shark is unmistakeable.
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5337
#74 Posted: 04:18:21 14/09/2017
Quote: Drek95
Yeah, what makes me prefer Trap Team over SuperChargers (to the point of it being my favorite game in the series) is the values of what all those figures had to offer.

I'm pretty sure it still has the highest number of toys to buy but let's break it down:
- lots of new Cores and Trap Masters, which offered new gameplays and replayability;
- traps, completely mandatory in case you weren't interested in the villain gimmick, and you only needed 1 per Element to play as all the characters;
- 2 Adventure Packs and 2 Expansion Packs which offered 4 new levels, 4 Skylanders and a couple new magic items and traps;
- Minis, just cuter and maybe faster versions of already exsisting characters;
- Eon's Elites, basically for true hardcore collectors;
- the usual reposes and variants.
Let's not forget that while the Starter Pack came with only two Skylanders at least they were both brand new.

So, outside of Minis, Eon's Elites, reposes and variants there were still a lot to buy but also a lot of content and fun to be had.
Traptanium Elemental Gates were a mistake, no doubt about that.

On the other hand we have SuperChargers:
- 10 new Skylanders;
- 18 vehicles, with only one of each Terrain type being mandatory in case you wanted to fully experience the game;
- 3 Racing Action Packs, completely mandatory in case you weren't interested in the racing aspect since I'm pretty sure all their Skylanders and vehicles came out as Single Packs, eventually;
- 10 cleverly glorified reposes, which still offered new gameplays nonetheless;
- 2 console exclusive characters and vehicles which only mattered for Nintendo users;
- more Eon's Elites;
- more variants than actual new faces, probably, also distributed horribly.
And to top this all, a Starter Pack with only 2 character (one of which being part of said reposes) and only one vehicle to match the single brand new character.

Not a lot to buy after all, assuming we aren't talking about die-hard collectors, even less if you weren't interest in vehicles.
Sadly, this means less post-game content as well.

So I vastly prefer Trap Team's huge roster and other toys to buy, because at least I truly wanted every single figure I bought and enjoyed what they had to offer.
Can't say the same for its sequel.

It sounds like you mean to say "optional", rather than "mandatory", since the things you mentioned are actually optional (aside from having at least one Land vehicle in Superchargers, but even that's optional if you have one of the older portals)

Also I don't think any of the racing pack figures were ever released separately. Unless you count Autism Trigger Happy.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#75 Posted: 08:59:21 14/09/2017
Yup, sorry, somehow managed to leave behind the worst possible error of all the ones I previously made. smilie
I'll fix it, thanks.

Astroblast and Sun Runner were indeed released separately (can't remember if via Double and/or Single Pack though).
Figured out it happened for all the Racing Action Packs' vehicles and characters, but now that I think about it I still miss Gold Rusher and haven't been able to find it anywhere.

But again, only a problem if you care about reposes/revamps.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#76 Posted: 10:05:56 14/09/2017
Yeah you're right about Astroblast and Sun Runner. Not sure why I forgot about that, because I now remember seeing the single packs at TRU at some point.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#77 Posted: 10:35:41 14/09/2017
Might be because of the number of times they got released.
First the Legendary Racing Action Pack, then the regular one and finally the Singles.

Wouldn't surprise me if there were Single Packs for the Legendaries as well, could have easily forgot those.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#78 Posted: 23:39:50 14/09/2017
Both Trap Team and Superchargers seemed really blatant in their grab for cash, more so than the earlier grabs for cash. Superchargers seemed to have 2 versions of most characters/vehicles between blue ones and legendary ones and dark ones. Same figure, same pose, same abilities but in different colours. That's not even creative cash grabbing.

But Imaginators seemed like a better grab for cash. Shame it don't come sooner before the franchise was on its knees. Buying creation crystals seemed ridiculous to me at first, particularly when you can reset them if you have the right game etc. But once created it's easy to get attached to your creation and not want to delete it, so instead you buy another crystal. Being able to muck around with designs on the app help encourage more purchases too. A much better gimmick for getting people to part with their cash in my opinion. Unfortunately it came too late.
#79 Posted: 19:29:24 17/09/2017
it was just good it ended when it ended, because skylanders7 would have gone a step further with the cash grab. the greed was endless at activision..

1. microtransactions
2. crystals
3. power ups locked in adventure packs
4. gates that only open by specific figures
5. selling variants of the same figure with only color differences

etc...
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
McMurderpaws Yellow Sparx Gems: 1330
#80 Posted: 02:44:56 18/09/2017
3, 4 and 5 were things that happened IN THE FIRST GAME, dude. Are you saying that the franchise went off the rails at the start of the track?

I don't see the crystals themselves as having been a bad thing, except for the fact that they couldn't be reset.

Microtransactions work in some games, but they were absolutely pointless in SuperChargers and Imaginators.
Wishblade Emerald Sparx Gems: 3262
#81 Posted: 04:10:41 18/09/2017
Remember which game didn't have a Spyro figure? Superchargers. That was an omen.
---
Any last wishes?
#82 Posted: 08:20:43 18/09/2017
Quote: McMurderpaws
3, 4 and 5 were things that happened IN THE FIRST GAME, dude. Are you saying that the franchise went off the rails at the start of the track?

I don't see the crystals themselves as having been a bad thing, except for the fact that they couldn't be reset.

Microtransactions work in some games, but they were absolutely pointless in SuperChargers and Imaginators.

not 3 that didnt happen before trap team or was it swap force?.. i cant remember but i remember you had to buy a adventure pack to unlock the last upgrade on one of the figures..

microtransactions complete ruined the upgrade system in superchargers online racer.. i just hope nobody payed, but i have a suspicion that a lot of fools did, since they put microtransactions in imaginators. only way to get rid of microtransactions in a game is to not use that option at all. so they see its a waste of their time to put it in the game.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 08:33:56 18/09/2017 by CountMoneyBone
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#83 Posted: 08:43:02 18/09/2017
In Spyro's Adventure, Slam Bam, Terrafin, Ghost Roaster and Sunburn Soul Gems are inside the adventure pack levels, but these figures were sold exclusively with the expansion pieces; you were only screwed if you bought them used and without the expansion pieces. The problem that started with Trap Team was selling Knight Mare and Knight Light in single packs, they're Soul Gem collectibles being locked inside the expansion levels. At least you have access to those upgrades in the sequel games without needing a Soul Gem collectible.
---
bye
#84 Posted: 08:51:25 18/09/2017
Quote: newkill
In Spyro's Adventure, Slam Bam, Terrafin, Ghost Roaster and Sunburn Soul Gems are inside the adventure pack levels, but these figures were sold exclusively with the expansion pieces; you were only screwed if you bought them used and without the expansion pieces. The problem that started with Trap Team was selling Knight Mare and Knight Light in single packs, they're Soul Gem collectibles being locked inside the expansion levels. At least you have access to those upgrades in the sequel games without needing a Soul Gem collectible.

exactly, they was sold with the adventure packs, that is okay think... and yes, it was trap team..
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
mcdull Red Sparx Gems: 41
#85 Posted: 05:55:56 21/09/2017
Quote: [url=http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=137167&post=6296669
microtransactions complete ruined the upgrade system in superchargers online racer.. i just hope nobody payed, but i have a suspicion that a lot of fools did, since they put microtransactions in imaginators. only way to get rid of microtransactions in a game is to not use that option at all. so they see its a waste of their time to put it in the game.

Microtransactions is simply borrowed from other games, especially those free-to-play (but pay-to-win) mobile games. That's the trend of gaming industry unfortunately and how they make the most money. You can't imagine how much money those fools, using what you called, dumped into those games, over thousand is common from what I read on different game boards, while I paid nothing on those same game.
#86 Posted: 13:55:16 21/09/2017
Isn't Skylanders just a glorified and more expensive microtransaction system.
---
Bruh
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#87 Posted: 01:08:14 22/09/2017
I feel trap team burned ppl out as there was soo much to get and those tht wanted everything got burned on the yawn traps. Superchargers turned alot (myself included) off as I didnt like being forced into the racing aspect. Imginators I cant comment on because I haven't even played it yet. I only now have gone tog et some of the figure and alot are gone...like steel plated hook sickle.

I felt they needed to do these games bi-yearly after trap team but they keep making more and more and ppl just got burnt out of too much stuff at once. I think skylanders needs a break until late 2018 or spring 2019.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:10:23 22/09/2017 by SlayerX11
#88 Posted: 20:43:21 23/09/2017

microtransactions is like throwing money into the toilet and flushing, like all the garbage free2play games on the ipads. you cant compare that to skylanders where you actually get a psychical product for your money, to own forever or sell to get some of your money back later on.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#89 Posted: 22:14:36 23/09/2017
Quote: CountMoneyBone

microtransactions is like throwing money into the toilet and flushing, like all the garbage free2play games on the ipads. you cant compare that to skylanders where you actually get a psychical product for your money, to own forever or sell to get some of your money back later on.

I guess you're right. While I don't think microtransactions are a bad thing by itself (mainly on free-2-play games), Skylanders is closer to DLC.
---
Bruh
#90 Posted: 08:49:30 24/09/2017
Digital content can't be displayed on the shelf near my bed so it can watch over me while I sleep.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1216
#91 Posted: 09:27:11 24/09/2017

I can see the merits in the comparison; you're paying for something that is already in the code, and playing as video game characters without the need of a figure goes without saying. They also unlock access, and have numerous reiterations throughout the games. So what makes them not-microtransactions?

The price, for one thing. There's nothing 'micro' about a £7.99, or in the case of Imaginators £14.99 price tag. There's also nothing micro about their uses - every Skylander in my collection has a purpose, be it for general use or to unlock a new nugget of content. Sure, SWAP Zones are woefully lacking, traptanium gates aren't around any more (and good riddance I say), and Giants are still big DPSers but they don't have an expiry date or limited uses, a common tactic of microtransactions to encourage purchasing more. Rather than make you feel desperate, Skylanders reward you for choosing one of that element. Pessimists could also rightly argue that the game punishes you for choosing one element over the other. It's a half-full/half-empty situation.

If anything they're more like DLC whose value increases as the games go on. There's not many games where I can play all characters of previous entries of a franchise in the latest. They also have tangible value - I tend not to bother with many DLCs and microtransactions because the game's servers they're in will be empty so nobody can see them. That's if the game hasn't been shut down by the devs/publisher first. Skylanders figures look great, especially as the games go on, and have both financial and sentimental value for folks who have loved this series for the near decade it's been around.

As for microtransactions in Skylanders themselves, if Activision can't cover their costs by reusing assets, selling more toys, adventure packs but need in-app purchases.... what are they doing wrong? If there's any evidence of a game being tampered with to push microtransactions (cosmetic or not, because they don't have to stop at skins), then I'm gonna have a tough time excusing it. It's a good job I can't find them on the Nintendo Switch version, especially if their contents are random.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 09:30:29 24/09/2017 by Johnbonne
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#92 Posted: 16:03:19 24/09/2017
I'll chime in on this. I seem to have a very outdated notion where anything digital should be free and anything physical I'll pay for.

I feel it's very wrong to pay for something that I cannot hold in my hands and then resell once I'm tired of it. More so that I'll probably never ever replay that game again to see what I had wasted my money on.

At least with Skylanders I get the comfort of seeing they that exist and will continue to exist 20 years down the road (assuming the chips inside won't die out of course).

So it's very unusual to see me buying anything digital unless I absolutely must, like the last two Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney games where I'm forced to do so. If they ever put those on a physical media, I'm surely "in for one". I would never have gotten into Skylanders if it wasn't for the cute figures that went with it.
---
Stay Cool!
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1216
#93 Posted: 17:47:17 24/09/2017
Quote: fairyland
I'll chime in on this. I seem to have a very outdated notion where anything digital should be free and anything physical I'll pay for.

I feel it's very wrong to pay for something that I cannot hold in my hands and then resell once I'm tired of it. More so that I'll probably never ever replay that game again to see what I had wasted my money on.

At least with Skylanders I get the comfort of seeing they that exist and will continue to exist 20 years down the road (assuming the chips inside won't die out of course).

So it's very unusual to see me buying anything digital unless I absolutely must, like the last two Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney games where I'm forced to do so. If they ever put those on a physical media, I'm surely "in for one". I would never have gotten into Skylanders if it wasn't for the cute figures that went with it.

I think that's fair. Keeping this to Skylanders for now, you're totally right. I'd go as far to say as not being surprised if Skylanders' chances of getting as far as Giants were dead out of the gate because characters didn't have the toy gimmick that won people over. It would just be paying for additional avatars, and the Adventure Packs (Pirate Seas in particular) would have been ripped harder than TESIV: Oblivion's first attempt at DLC even if the prices were lower. And there's nothing to say that they wouldn't be; bigpubs like Activision are no stranger to putting the digital version of something at the same cost as the physical - there was even a massive boycott against Modern Warfare 2 because of this as well as the "because we can" price hike.

I don't think your notion is outdated or wrong, but I think it's less popular than it was when Horse Armour was around for example. Nowadays I think a lot of people are happy to pay for extra content, physical or otherwise, so long as it's good. Then again, loot boxes are becoming commonplace.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:49:05 24/09/2017 by Johnbonne
McMurderpaws Yellow Sparx Gems: 1330
#94 Posted: 20:44:10 24/09/2017
I'm a pretty big collector of games and gaming memorabilia myself (though honestly, probably everyone else over the age of 25 on these forums can say the same)...

But I've changed my views on digital gaming over the last couple years, and I can trace it all back to a single event: the Xbox One allowing you to mark a console as your home system and allowing full access to your digital library on that system regardless of who is logged in. My best friend and I marked each other's consoles as our home systems, and now we have access to each other's libraries. (While this DOES mean that some games we might have otherwise bought 2 copies of are now only selling one copy, it's also encouraging us to diversify our collections and buy things we might not have otherwise purchased one copy of. I usually buy big-name titles we're both interested in at launch + DLC, and he usually buys indy titles and things that have gone on sale.)

Sony later made this option available on the PS4 as well, though you have to use the website and manually select to push your digital purchases to your home console for the other person to have access to it.

As it stands, the only physical games I have for Xbox One now are the launch titles I picked up with it (Dead Rising 3 and Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, aka "Pirate's Creed 4: Pirate Flag Pirate Pirate Pirate Arrr Matey") and my TTL games--Skylanders Swap Force, Trap Team, SuperChargers and Imaginators, plus Lego Dimensions.

And while I do occassionally lament that I don't have physical copies of my other games to loan to my other friends who might be interested in trying a game, both Microsoft and Sony have been really good about doing frequent sales and even offering free games every month for paying their network subscriptions.

So I am okay with paying money for digital content, as long as I perceive value in it.

ON THE OTHER HAND... I don't think Skylanders' adventure packs as digital DLC would be worth even close to the US$30 MSRP without the physical pieces. The could probably get by charging $10 apiece for the levels if they have enough content to take over an hour to fully experience... but I'd honestly say they're worth closer to $5 apiece. Being tied to a physical toy and coming with (loosely) associated power ups or other bonus item toys and the physical toy of a playable character helped make it feel worth $30 because you have something physical to keep in your collection even if the content is lacking.

I think Skylanders could make the change to digital, but not at the current prices--they'd have to drastically lower the prices of add-on content for it to work. We're talking $2 for a "core" character, $4-5 for a "gimmick" character (depending on how useful the gimmick is), and $5-10 for all extra level content.

I also think that they could work a Skylanders digital episodic game (like the TellTale adventure games) by splitting a game into 5 pieces + extra level DLC and releasing it over the course of 6-8 months and adding a couple new playable characters along with every episode to keep people interested and replaying the earlier levels. Maybe even couple it with something like the original Lego Batman game, where once you beat a story arc as the heroes, you get to go back and play it from the villains' perspective, and have Kaos be the baddie beaten at the end of chapter 1 (but then he escapes), and you only see glimpses of him bumbling behind the scenes as you fight other villains in chapters 2-4 until he comes back as Super Kaos in chapter 5.
spot Yellow Sparx Gems: 1528
#95 Posted: 06:27:17 25/09/2017
In that digital world do current characters that you own still work? If so doesn't that mean a lot of work for potentially less profit? I love any idea that keeps Skylanders going but I want my current collection to have some use.
Earth-Dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#96 Posted: 13:42:48 13/11/2017
I’ll give my assessment simply: eventually gameplay and content needed to outshine the gimmick. That’s should have been obvious from Swap Force. But moving forward, the next three games prioritized gimmick overall.

This was mentioned during Swap Force btw. Gimmicks will eventually destroy the series for the casuals. Asking more and giving less and less......
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#97 Posted: 16:48:46 17/12/2017
Nobody gonna talk about how Imaginators completely made magic items useless? I'm surprised about how few people are mad about this.
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
#98 Posted: 17:03:10 17/12/2017
Quote: Kevin16
Nobody gonna talk about how Imaginators completely made magic items useless? I'm surprised about how few people are mad about this.

I'm surprised no one talked about how terrible imaginators was. My god that story was horrendous....
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:03:25 17/12/2017 by SkyFan91
First | Page 2 of 4 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me