darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > Why we didn't get a new Skylanders game this year
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3
Why we didn't get a new Skylanders game this year
SkyFan91 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1806
#1 Posted: 11:45:02 30/05/2017 | Topic Creator
"The move is part of a trend of downsizing at Activision, as they explained at the conference. They are laying off 5% of their workforce and they are returning the Call of Duty series (last seen in outer space) to its traditional roots to make it “less risky.” Given that they just released an optimistic earnings report, the reason for this new cautious attitude is beyond me, especially when their “failure” of a Call of Duty wound up the top-selling game of 2016. Whatever the motive, Activision will release less games this year."

So yeah, despite having a good report they went this route to save COD. Link to the article it's kinda old http://www.toonzone.net/skylanders-will-sitting-2017/
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#2 Posted: 11:51:41 30/05/2017
I'll be ok with this, as long as it isn't the final nail on the coffin.
Otehrwise I'll just have a new reason to despise Call of Duty even more.

But the article seems to imply that Activision is far from abandoning the franchise and we finally got some actual explanations besides the fact V.V. and TfB might be too busy, which are good news in my book.
We'll see.

Thanks for pointing it out, SkyFan, weird that nobody did it before, considering the day it was posted.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 11:54:27 30/05/2017 by Drek95
omer1698 Gold Sparx Gems: 2258
#3 Posted: 11:56:16 30/05/2017
Well thats actully an allot more reasonable explanation than i thought.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#4 Posted: 11:59:34 30/05/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Drek95

But the article seems to imply that Activision is far from abandoning the franchise and we finally got some actual explanations besides the fact V.V. and TfB might be too busy, which are good news in my book.
We'll see.

Thanks for pointing it out, SkyFan, weird that nobody did it before, considering the day it was posted.

No problem! We honestly needed an explanation to why there wasn't a new game this year
#5 Posted: 12:09:12 30/05/2017
Quote: SkyFan91

We'll see.

No problem! We honestly needed an explanation to why there wasn't a new game this year

Definitely, the ones we got previously sounded more like "no Skylanders this year, but let's talk about this other series or game instead".
Not explanatory at all.

This makes me think they simply skipped one year for that, and will announce a new title for 2018.
Would still be a good chance to experiment with a 2.0 soluction, even if to simply see how it could be received.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:10:17 30/05/2017 by Drek95
#6 Posted: 12:16:45 30/05/2017 | Topic Creator

We'll see.

Definitely, the ones we got previously sounded more like "no Skylanders this year, but let's talk about this other series or game instead".
Not explanatory at all.

This makes me think they simply skipped one year for that, and will announce a new title for 2018.
Would still be a good chance to experiment with a 2.0 soluction, even if to simply see how it could be received.

Yep this makes a 2018 release very more likely now since we know this was the reasoning behind no new game.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#7 Posted: 13:04:46 30/05/2017
Like Acti isn't risk-phobic all the time. Their issue is crazy budgets and unreasonable sales expectations, downsizing staff is just so that doesn't get affected by the more obvious issue of everyone being tired of yearly release. It's not making CoD a failure, but the game's getting abandoned much quicker every year. Don't forget Destiny 2 getting shoved out of the door this year and VV and Bungie totally going to take the fall for whatever issues it has.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:05:46 30/05/2017 by Bifrost
#8 Posted: 13:26:19 30/05/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
Like Acti isn't risk-phobic all the time. Their issue is crazy budgets and unreasonable sales expectations, downsizing staff is just so that doesn't get affected by the more obvious issue of everyone being tired of yearly release. It's not making CoD a failure, but the game's getting abandoned much quicker every year. Don't forget Destiny 2 getting shoved out of the door this year and VV and Bungie totally going to take the fall for whatever issues it has.

Tbh that's why it's coming out this year. I'm pretty sure Acti is tired of delaying it over and over. (Talking about Destiny 2)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:26:40 30/05/2017 by SkyFan91
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#9 Posted: 13:39:29 30/05/2017
Skylanders 7: You can now play as emojis]

Maybe that's why they cancelled it
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#10 Posted: 13:56:03 30/05/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: King-Pen Krazy
Skylanders 7: You can now play as emojis]

Maybe that's why they cancelled it

Oh please no not emojis X D

Either way, based off of the sound of this it doesn't sound like it was cancelled but pushed to 2018 in my opinion.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#11 Posted: 15:16:37 30/05/2017
>"oh god not emojis"
>uses X D in post

gtfo
#12 Posted: 15:19:34 30/05/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: ZapNorris
>"oh god not emojis"
>uses X D in post

gtfo

Emoji are taking over X D
#13 Posted: 15:20:38 30/05/2017
>using X D and not xD like a true laughing face would look like back in my day
>greentext
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:20:50 30/05/2017 by Bifrost
KingMed Gold Sparx Gems: 2456
#14 Posted: 15:21:39 30/05/2017
What if they announced the game next year ,but won't actually release it until 2019/2020
#15 Posted: 15:23:22 30/05/2017
>xD because all caps activates bbc code
>darkspyro thread simulator when

also rip in kill franchise
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#16 Posted: 15:29:31 30/05/2017
People often forget that Skylanders requires a HUGE upfront investment. Pressing discs is pretty cheap, but Skylanders has the physical toys that must be anticipated, paid for and made months in advance. Imaginators is pretty well known to have sold poorly, particularly in comparison to other games. Skylanders requires lots of attached sales to stay afloat. That follows Superchargers that also did not do well, and the general decline of all TTL franchises. People are over it.

As far as future use, you cannot get around the fact that to do the franchise as it is now, it means they have to dump a ton of money into it before the first game sells. Stores have to commit to ordering stock. I'd say the franchise as a TTL product is toast. We might get a vastly slimmed down roster in a year or two (Activision does love to give killed franchises a test revival), or maybe something that is toy free and maybe has characters as cheap DLC.

Call of Duty didn't kill Skylanders (although the leaner sales of their top product makes it harder to take risks). Skylanders and TTL killed Skylanders.
#17 Posted: 16:14:43 30/05/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: defpally
People often forget that Skylanders requires a HUGE upfront investment. Pressing discs is pretty cheap, but Skylanders has the physical toys that must be anticipated, paid for and made months in advance. Imaginators is pretty well known to have sold poorly, particularly in comparison to other games. Skylanders requires lots of attached sales to stay afloat. That follows Superchargers that also did not do well, and the general decline of all TTL franchises. People are over it.

As far as future use, you cannot get around the fact that to do the franchise as it is now, it means they have to dump a ton of money into it before the first game sells. Stores have to commit to ordering stock. I'd say the franchise as a TTL product is toast. We might get a vastly slimmed down roster in a year or two (Activision does love to give killed franchises a test revival), or maybe something that is toy free and maybe has characters as cheap DLC.

Call of Duty didn't kill Skylanders (although the leaner sales of their top product makes it harder to take risks). Skylanders and TTL killed Skylanders.

No one here or anyone said COD killed Skylanders
McMurderpaws Yellow Sparx Gems: 1330
#18 Posted: 16:19:24 30/05/2017

Nor did anyone here before you say that Skylanders is dead.
#19 Posted: 16:42:08 30/05/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: McMurderpaws

I wasn't implying that either
#20 Posted: 17:03:24 30/05/2017

I think he was referring to what defpally said.

But yes, assuming Skylanders is dead is just an exaggeration.
It has definitely seen better days, but there is nothing remotely pointing towards that conclusion.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:03:41 30/05/2017 by Drek95
#21 Posted: 17:22:13 30/05/2017 | Topic Creator

I think he was referring to what defpally said.

But yes, assuming Skylanders is dead is just an exaggeration.
It has definitely seen better days, but there is nothing remotely pointing towards that conclusion.

Exactly my thoughts
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#22 Posted: 18:46:20 30/05/2017
Ok, I'll be more literal since it was confusing to some. Call of Duty focus has nothing to do with whether or not they do a Skylanders game. The thing that is preventing more Skylander games is bad sales, retailer apathy and high up front investment.

Skylanders can't just sell like other games, it has to do tons of add-on sales to be considered a success. You might consider XXX copies to be a success, but XXX is not good enough for Skylanders if they don't move tons of figures post release. If a game or DLC sells poorly, you aren't out of that much - disc are cheap and so is packaging, but if Skylander figures don't sell they have to be clearanced at a big loss. Stores selling them B1G1, 2 or 3 free is not good.

And Starter sales were really low this year from everything that has been seen.
#23 Posted: 18:53:41 30/05/2017
Also literally milking the consumer base dry. As much as the series has fans, you can only afford and keep interest in 300+ bucks' worth of figures every year for so long. A bigger gap or games without new figures would've helped, but we know Activision and their long-term planning, or lack thereof.

This break should've happened long ago, maybe at Swap Force. Let TFB actually finish QA and content on Trap Team so people didn't start to see the cracks, let VV have a moment of sanity and put stuff on SC that isn't cars(don't actually know if they'd do that), and Imaginators not be so horribly rushed and be almost half DLC in chapter length. Now that would be a good timeline.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:59:25 30/05/2017 by Bifrost
#24 Posted: 19:13:20 30/05/2017 | Topic Creator
Also literally milking the consumer base dry. As much as the series has fans, you can only afford and keep interest in 300+ bucks' worth of figures every year for so long. A bigger gap or games without new figures would've helped, but we know Activision and their long-term planning, or lack thereof.

This break should've happened long ago, maybe at Swap Force. Let TFB actually finish QA and content on Trap Team so people didn't start to see the cracks, let VV have a moment of sanity and put stuff on SC that isn't cars(don't actually know if they'd do that), and Imaginators not be so horribly rushed and be almost half DLC in chapter length. Now that would be a good timeline.

That would've been MUCH BETTER. Trap team really needs to be fixed up I can't stand it....
#25 Posted: 19:20:43 30/05/2017
It's fine for me, but after discovering all the cut content that TFB could've probably given proper closure in 4 months or less, you start getting really frustrated. Kinda like when we got those interviews about the original concept artist for Legend of Spyro and discovered how much we lost in the dev team change...

RIP red Troll whose name we never got because all we have is footage of when you were a villain and a scrapped Giants character.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:20:58 30/05/2017 by Bifrost
#26 Posted: 19:25:51 30/05/2017
I'm only questioning the whole "Skylanders is doomed!" thing, everything else is reasonable and I actually agree with most of it.

I agree they should reduce the price of the figures (and thus the sizes) and maybe also the general number of Adventure Packs.
It's great Imaginators is still getting everything it was apparently supposed to have, but being more complete from the start would have been much better.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#27 Posted: 19:33:50 30/05/2017 | Topic Creator
Aaaaaaaaaand now a couple of instagramers are saying to boycott COD......
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:34:13 30/05/2017 by SkyFan91
#28 Posted: 19:53:15 30/05/2017
CODlanders

Coming 2018
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#29 Posted: 20:09:53 30/05/2017
Can this fanbase be any worse?
---
Bruh
#30 Posted: 20:13:17 30/05/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Crash10

Wouldn't be surprised if it can. NEXT UP: several petitions from Instagramers, CANCELL CODWW2
#31 Posted: 20:50:10 30/05/2017

We could have instagram kids and the sellout youtubers that still can't spell Kaos and Malefor after 5+ years and make a 5-minute video for ****ing everything.

Yes, people that made all those videos titles with "Malefore", IT TAKES 5 MINUTES TO LOOK IT UP - LESS, AURA HAS HIM IN TWO WIKIAS. EFFORT, PLEASE. *breathes in*
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 21:05:06 30/05/2017 by Bifrost
#32 Posted: 20:53:05 30/05/2017

Did you not just see that I put down CODlanders

So yeah, it can defiently be worse
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#33 Posted: 21:47:59 30/05/2017
I feel like we already knew about this. SSC and SI poor sales, laying out people earlier this year, focus on CoD and Destiny... I'm not learning anything new.

Quote:
Given that they just released an optimistic earnings report, the reason for this new cautious attitude is beyond me, especially when their “failure” of a Call of Duty wound up the top-selling game of 2016.

It's about profit vs budget, doesn't matter that it was the top-selling game.
---
bye
#34 Posted: 22:04:05 30/05/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: newkill
I feel like we already knew about this. SSC and SI poor sales, laying out people earlier this year, focus on CoD and Destiny... I'm not learning anything new.

Quote:
Given that they just released an optimistic earnings report, the reason for this new cautious attitude is beyond me, especially when their “failure” of a Call of Duty wound up the top-selling game of 2016.

It's about profit vs budget, doesn't matter that it was the top-selling game.

We aren't talking about an optimistic report per say. We're talking about how Skylanders and several others were originally going to get a new game this year but aren't due to Acti's decision to focus on COD
#35 Posted: 22:19:22 30/05/2017
The optimistic report is because of shareholders. They can't really say 'ugh guys sorry we didn't make that up to your standards', it's PR.
---
#36 Posted: 22:21:05 30/05/2017

only if we let matt stay
#37 Posted: 22:28:51 30/05/2017 | Topic Creator

only if we let matt stay

You're probably the biggest problem on insta just saying
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#38 Posted: 22:33:51 30/05/2017

We could have instagram kids and the sellout youtubers that still can't spell Kaos and Malefor after 5+ years and make a 5-minute video for ****ing everything.

Yes, people that made all those videos titles with "Malefore", IT TAKES 5 MINUTES TO LOOK IT UP - LESS, AURA HAS HIM IN TWO WIKIAS. EFFORT, PLEASE. *breathes in*

Self-consciously checks to make sure I spelt Malefore correctly in my video.

The funny thing is, I mispronounced his name for years until I heard the Skystone intro in Superchargers. I always thought it was Mal-For, not Mal-eh-for.
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
#39 Posted: 22:41:11 30/05/2017
You can still search on the wiki. Heck, for any typos I even remotely suspect I just quickly put it into google to see if it corrects or picks up the definition I actually want, it's not just names.

Either way, for the uh, "subject of the video", spoilers, the name was clearly spelled out with no e in sight. That's like the constant typo of night/knight I see in a lot of forums, in MOST contexts you know clearly it's "night" but they listen wrong anyway and never attempt to correct.

If Zap was the biggest problem in Instagram I'd read it all the time. Blame that on the repost central or the dozens of accounts putting NSFW/hate speech on the Skylanders tag.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:41:32 30/05/2017 by Bifrost
#40 Posted: 22:45:11 30/05/2017

only if we let matt stay

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#41 Posted: 23:09:31 30/05/2017 | Topic Creator

only if we let matt stay

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

No we will not
Wishblade Emerald Sparx Gems: 3262
#42 Posted: 23:29:59 30/05/2017
So the good thing is the article actually has someone from Activision communicating, rather than leaving us to speculate the worst.

I'm fine with a break. I would even be fine with a downsized release in 2018.
---
Any last wishes?
#43 Posted: 23:40:29 30/05/2017
You can still search on the wiki. Heck, for any typos I even remotely suspect I just quickly put it into google to see if it corrects or picks up the definition I actually want, it's not just names.

Either way, for the uh, "subject of the video", spoilers, the name was clearly spelled out with no e in sight. That's like the constant typo of night/knight I see in a lot of forums, in MOST contexts you know clearly it's "night" but they listen wrong anyway and never attempt to correct.

If Zap was the biggest problem in Instagram I'd read it all the time. Blame that on the repost central or the dozens of accounts putting NSFW/hate speech on the Skylanders tag.

Yeah, I'm not dyslexic, but I have something wrong with me that causes me to mispronounce/misspell words that clearly are not right. I thought the word was cataglory (rather than category) until I was 14 and someone finally corrected me on that.
---
#44 Posted: 00:23:04 31/05/2017

only if we let matt stay

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

*cracks knuckles*

matt... oh man, where do i begin.

I'm not the one misleading children into believing false news. Trust me, i LEARNED my lesson on jumping to conclusions. (giants wave 4, anybody?) I know now that before ANYTHING can be settled, there needs to be CREDIBLE PROOF. And a kid commenting on the skylanders instagram page's newest post """confirming""" year two in october is the complete opposite of credible. Considering, you, the same kid, told EVERYBODY that he had Power Blue Gold Rusher before it's official Canadian release (almost immediately after i found mine in california, mind you)- even though there was a set CA street date of april 1st, 2016 for it.

You're not credible. You're creating false hype in the fanbase. The children aren't to blame- they don't know better. You, however, need to learn not to lead your followers into false hype due to your lack of research. And i also think it's hilarious how you state in your DM convos that these forums are a bad place, even though we've reported the same """news""" as you many times, and proven you wrong on multiple occasions. If you keep leading yourself and everyone else into false hype without any kind of research, you're just gonna make things worse for you.

I joined instagram fairly late, i know. But as for this place... i've been here for ages. Since before giants was released. So if you, the kid who does absolutely no research before reporting, thinks he's gonna outsmart me by saying i'm "the worst problem on insta" (even though i don't publicly enter drama like you)... honey, you've got a big storm comin.

and one last thing. it's kinda hard to be a good member of the community when you're using racial slurs to describe others in DM convos. and i have screenshots of this, matt. you contradicting, hypocritical, racist little ****.

i refuse to comment further because i've said everything i needed to. I will GLADLY post proof of these claims if needed, either publicly/privately. good day.
#45 Posted: 00:28:35 31/05/2017
Zap, just correcting one of your statements, the children are the ones to blame indeed. If they were smart enough to know if something's fake or not, they wouldn't give attention to fake leaks, so the fake leakers wouldn't be a big thing. So yeah...
---
Bruh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:28:58 31/05/2017 by Crash10
#46 Posted: 00:59:35 31/05/2017 | Topic Creator

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

*cracks knuckles*

matt... oh man, where do i begin.

I'm not the one misleading children into believing false news. Trust me, i LEARNED my lesson on jumping to conclusions. (giants wave 4, anybody?) I know now that before ANYTHING can be settled, there needs to be CREDIBLE PROOF. And a kid commenting on the skylanders instagram page's newest post """confirming""" year two in october is the complete opposite of credible. Considering, you, the same kid, told EVERYBODY that he had Power Blue Gold Rusher before it's official Canadian release (almost immediately after i found mine in california, mind you)- even though there was a set CA street date of april 1st, 2016 for it.

You're not credible. You're creating false hype in the fanbase. The children aren't to blame- they don't know better. You, however, need to learn not to lead your followers into false hype due to your lack of research. And i also think it's hilarious how you state in your DM convos that these forums are a bad place, even though we've reported the same """news""" as you many times, and proven you wrong on multiple occasions. If you keep leading yourself and everyone else into false hype without any kind of research, you're just gonna make things worse for you.

I joined instagram fairly late, i know. But as for this place... i've been here for ages. Since before giants was released. So if you, the kid who does absolutely no research before reporting, thinks he's gonna outsmart me by saying i'm "the worst problem on insta" (even though i don't publicly enter drama like you)... honey, you've got a big storm comin.

and one last thing. it's kinda hard to be a good member of the community when you're using racial slurs to describe others in DM convos. and i have screenshots of this, matt. you contradicting, hypocritical, racist little ****.

i refuse to comment further because i've said everything i needed to. I will GLADLY post proof of these claims if needed, either publicly/privately. good day.

I claimed I had Power Blue Gold Rusher before release? Well then that sounds stupid of me. (I don't really remember much about that tbh but as said if I did then damn I'm an idiot LOL)

one last thing: I tip my hat off to you for the roast you got me there
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:03:43 31/05/2017 by SkyFan91
#47 Posted: 00:59:54 31/05/2017
Zap, just correcting one of your statements, the children are the ones to blame indeed. If they were smart enough to know if something's fake or not, they wouldn't give attention to fake leaks, so the fake leakers wouldn't be a big thing. So yeah...

What cracks me up are the kids that comment on my videos that can't be any older than 11 or 12 that talk about these leaks that other kids have come up with. That being said, the only "leak" that we've gotten this year is clearly a good one if it is fake. Most of the leaks created by kids are only believed by kids. I highly doubt some random kid made that Barbella thing.
---
#48 Posted: 01:04:30 31/05/2017
Hey, it's Pokégods and Pikablu. Kids love to make up their own lore and lies if it gets them friends, I don't blame them.

My issue is people who are clearly over 13 making videos about this knowing they're decieving them. A certain fellow who'd post (NEW LEAK) at an article with a confirmed character or similar. Or those users having youtube/insta as their personal battleground.

And Zap, not the place for this. Vent all you want on S&N but you just said a bunch you can't take back.
---
#49 Posted: 01:13:24 31/05/2017
Quote: ninja9351

What cracks me up are the kids that comment on my videos that can't be any older than 11 or 12 that talk about these leaks that other kids have come up with. That being said, the only "leak" that we've gotten this year is clearly a good one if it is fake. Most of the leaks created by kids are only believed by kids. I highly doubt some random kid made that Barbella thing.

Leaks are a thing no matter the game, and I can count many fake leaks that everyone believed, kid or adult (Rayman in Smash, anyone?), but what we see in this fandom is basically a kid's playground, where they come up with surreal fantasies to have fun and their friends just go with it. You know this can't really work on the internet, it gets kinda chaotic.
---
Bruh
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me