Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > Switchmas is coming!! Switch Release Date: March 3rd, 2017
First | Previous | Page 5 of 9 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Switchmas is coming!! Switch Release Date: March 3rd, 2017
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#201 Posted: 23:56:36 13/01/2017
That's stupid. But Nintendo always does stupid things. I don't let stupid crap like this bog down my excitement
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#202 Posted: 00:00:30 14/01/2017
Quote: Bifrost
Free trial, by the end of the month you have to pay. A NES/SNES game. That you literally can play on browser or emulator anywhere.

I... said I wasn't trying to justify it. If anything I think it's stupid too.

For some reason I don't really care if it's just an offer though. Maybe because I don't have much interest in older games unless it's one I actively want to play.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#203 Posted: 00:00:46 14/01/2017
Quote: MagicFizz
Quote: Crash10
WHY DID THEY NOT CALL IT SPLA2OON

Because it's a dumb name and you know it.

How exactly? Splatoon 2 just does not roll of the tougne well for me.

Just kidding. But really, I personally prefer Splatoon 2, I think it sounds better, even if Spla2oon is a nice pun.

Quote: AdamGregory03
Did it say that you have to download the free game and play it, or is it just they're offering it to you as a free trial?

Not trying to justify the stupidity of it, just asking.

Looks like you play it as if normally bought it, but for free... For a month.

This is do stupid.
---
Bruh
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#204 Posted: 00:15:17 14/01/2017
I was able to pre-order the last Red/Blue Joycon Switch at my local gamestop. The sign on their door said they only had 19 pre-orders available, and they had already sold 7 when i got there around noon. Also pre-ordered the standard version of Breath Of The Wild for switch.
#205 Posted: 00:21:12 14/01/2017
Congrats man. I wish I had the money for that.
---
Bruh
#206 Posted: 00:24:34 14/01/2017
I take it pre-ordering is out of the question now. Which, I was actually planning on waiting a little later to get the Switch anyway, so no skin off my nose.
---
Check this out! Please?
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#207 Posted: 00:25:43 14/01/2017
Treehouse stream archive with Splat2n and Odyssey footage
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Skylanders fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3952
#208 Posted: 00:59:01 14/01/2017
Got the basic system preordered this morning from Gamestop still need to preorder games so far getting BOTW and Bomberman at launch with a few Eshop games
---
Yep still around just not posting much anymore
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6059
#209 Posted: 01:03:56 14/01/2017
So far I'm only really interested in Xenoblade 2 & FE Warriors. Still, waiting to see some actual gameplay and details before fully deciding on FE:W. MarioKart & Spla2n look cool, but there's the WiiU versions...
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
DarkPredator Gold Sparx Gems: 2276
#210 Posted: 01:27:30 14/01/2017
I literally cannot stop watching that Breath of the Wild trailer.
---
"Still as silent as ever, eh?" - Blue, Pokémon Sun and Moon
#211 Posted: 03:23:50 14/01/2017
So, I decided just for the heck of it, I'd rewatch the Switch software presentation for 2017, and there were some pretty interesting things regarding it. Figured I'd list all I found here, aside from what we already know.
Video right here if you want to check for yourself.
*0:25-Minecraft Story Mode being ported.
*0:33-Rayman Legends being ported, which was actually confirmed and given an interview.
*0:35-Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 being ported.
*0:44-Far Cry Primal being ported.
*0:53-What looks to be a new Mii based party game.
*1:14-Minecraft itself being ported, which is pretty big.
*1:17-Some new game about a boy and a fox, was probably announced before but I don't know what it is.
*1:20-What appears to be a new F-Zero game.

The last one is what I find to be the most interesting, and that's coming from someone who's not even a fan of the series. But all in all, if this really is all in 2017, then it looks like it'll have a decent line-up, at least for people who may not have been able to play some of these games otherwise (such as myself).

Oh, also Yooka-Laylee. Forgot that was coming too.
---
Check this out! Please?
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 03:33:34 14/01/2017 by AdamGregory03
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#212 Posted: 03:32:04 14/01/2017
The F zero game is some FX or RX game, I know its inspired by F Zero.

Edit: FAST RACING NEO! That's the name! Driving me nuts that I couldn't remember.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:43:12 14/01/2017 by HeyitsHotDog
#213 Posted: 03:44:29 14/01/2017
It's Fast Racing Neo. Not F-Zero.
---
Bruh
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6239
#214 Posted: 03:45:18 14/01/2017
The racing game was Fast Racing Neo. Very F-Zero/Wipeout inspired. It's in the Wii U shop.

Ninja'd hard

WHY DID THEY NOT CALL IT SPLA2OON

Because it's a dumb name and you know it.

How exactly? Splatoon 2 just does not roll of the tougne well for me.

Because if it's called Splat2n and you're trying to talk to someone in person about the game, it's going to be pronounced exactly the same and you're going to get confused and call it Splatoon 2 anyway.

Only way around this would be to call it Super Splatoon.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:45:39 14/01/2017 by CAV
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#215 Posted: 04:24:41 14/01/2017

*1:17-Some new game about a boy and a fox, was probably announced before but I don't know what it is.

The game in question is Rime:

New info edit: The jungle world in Super Mario Odyssey is said to be "CogWild"

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ninte..._mario_odyssey/
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:05:05 14/01/2017 by Bryman04
#216 Posted: 05:22:54 14/01/2017
Quote: Drawdler
^ That world looks a little like Wild Woods, doesn't it?

[User Posted Image]

I think this is it?
#217 Posted: 19:20:20 14/01/2017
Apparently Nintendo is now saying that there's going to be more games revealed in the coming weeks... So hopefully this means there'll be like a Nintendo Direct in February showcasing more games than what they shown off at the presentation. I guess they just didn't have some trailers ready for the presentation?

Source.
---
Check this out! Please?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:22:24 14/01/2017 by AdamGregory03
#218 Posted: 19:25:12 14/01/2017
I feel Nintendo is trying to share the amount of games instead of announcing/releasing all at once. And I think it's better this way.
---
Bruh
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#219 Posted: 19:35:15 14/01/2017
If this thing can handle the role of a main console, I'll sell my Xbox One.
Meaning, if it has proper third party support like Battlefield, GTA, you know big AAA games. I'm not taking about JRPG's, I don't give two ****s about those. But if I can get Mario and Battlefield on one console I'll gladly buy this.
#220 Posted: 22:55:15 14/01/2017
For those who want a similar soundtrack of the Super Mario Odyssey, the following should hold you over until an official OST is released or properly ripped.

Note that it is not 100% accurate.

EDIT: They showed off moves

Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:30:37 14/01/2017 by Bryman04
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#221 Posted: 00:25:59 15/01/2017
My father's reaction to the Switch, I feel freaking betrayed. (And he just told me how he felt about the PS4)

FINE, DON'T CARE ABOUT NEWER VIDEO GAMES ANYMORE!!!!! BUT NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY, I WONT PUT DOWN VIDEO GAMES MYSELF! I owe my childhood to these games, had a controller in my hand since I was a freaking toddler. Me and my father playing video games was the LAST thing he has ever done for me, and now I have lost that.
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
#222 Posted: 01:11:25 15/01/2017
Um... Okay then.

Well, for as many people who aren't too keen on the Switch, I also see plenty of people legitimately looking forward to it, or at least interested in it. So that at least gives me some hope, as that's more than I can say than about the Wii U.
---
Check this out! Please?
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#223 Posted: 01:24:22 15/01/2017
Wonder if Mario Odyssey will go the full orchestra route (a la Galaxy), the big band route (3D World), a little of both, or neither and stick to cheaper synths. Couldn't really tell from the trailer music. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#224 Posted: 01:56:18 15/01/2017
Listening to the recreation of the trailer music, sounds like Odyssey's music will have more of an adventure theme than an orchestra one.
---
Check this out! Please?
#225 Posted: 06:28:28 15/01/2017
People attempting to justify paying for online with "you need to pay to get a good service" are probably the same people who commended Nintendo for resisting the urge to require paid online as opposed to the other two.
#226 Posted: 11:18:53 15/01/2017
Quote: CAV
People attempting to justify paying for online with "you need to pay to get a good service" are probably the same people who commended Nintendo for resisting the urge to require paid online as opposed to the other two.

Good service first, paid later. People didn't care so much for PS+ because their quality is great and added a bunch of new stuff(and as I said, their free games aren't half bad though it's every other month of a gem). Nintendo's track record isn't good, yet they think keeping up with the times is just adding the thing and expecring people to accept random bull**** like smartphone voice chat and SNES rental.
---
#227 Posted: 11:55:06 15/01/2017
I know this is something I should be more aggravated about, but maybe it's just because I don't usually play online anyway. I'm not planning on subscribing unless it's for something I really need to.
---
Check this out! Please?
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7089
#228 Posted: 12:22:17 15/01/2017
Listening to the recreation of the trailer music, sounds like Odyssey's music will have more of an adventure theme than an orchestra one.

...Those aren't exactly mutually exclusive.

In fact they generally go hand in hand. Orchestral is a genre of music, "adventurous" is a mood that can be reflected with a variety of different genres, with orchestral generally being the most associated genre.

I mean, are you gonna tell me this doesn't sound adventurous?

---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#229 Posted: 12:36:55 15/01/2017
So I don't know anything about music, sue me.

Just kidding please don't sue me.

Also Slender homage in Mario Odyssey.

Cool.
---
Check this out! Please?
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 13:53:07 15/01/2017 by AdamGregory03
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#230 Posted: 14:03:21 15/01/2017
So I don't know anything about music, sue me.

Just kidding please don't sue me.

Also Slender homage in Mario Odyssey.

Cool.

Probably just an enemy and it's just conincidence.

Hopefully, I don't want this to be the last Mario game.

Unless, Slender Man is friends with Mario now, in which case that's cool.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#231 Posted: 17:26:05 15/01/2017

Good service first, paid later. People didn't care so much for PS+ because their quality is great and added a bunch of new stuff(and as I said, their free games aren't half bad though it's every other month of a gem). Nintendo's track record isn't good, yet they think keeping up with the times is just adding the thing and expecring people to accept random bull**** like smartphone voice chat and SNES rental.

To be honest, I think the smartphone voice chat is a decent idea. It's not ideal, but at least it gives the console itself less things to run, making the online play smoother.

But, aside from that, I agree with you. What they are doing is pretty bad, and, unless they make the online great, cheap, and change the monthly game system, it's going to fail.
---
Bruh
#232 Posted: 17:52:57 15/01/2017
It's not a good idea because you can simply call your friends. Nintendo doesn't need to put itself between voice chat apps that *already* exist. Heck if you need something ELSE to have voice chat on the Switch, people will just do what they already do and open Discord on their computers.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:53:31 15/01/2017 by Bifrost
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7089
#233 Posted: 22:53:04 15/01/2017
I did a little analysis earlier of the Switch's overall value proposition.

It's not very good.

As a European, the price of the console itself isn't even the issue for me. €330 (rounding up the additional cent for simplicity sake) is a bit high, but it's still cheaper than what I expected. And I think the hardware has a lot of cool features, so at first glance, it's certainly more appealing than say, a similarly priced tablet.

The issue is the cost to actually get any fun out of the system or use a lot of it's intended features. And this is an issue prevalent in all regions. For the purpose of the example, I'm using BotW as my game reference since it's obviously the game most people are excited about, and it's personally the game I would go for if I got a Switch at launch. Other games might be cheaper though I doubt anyone is gonna buy only 1-2 Switch at launch. Also, while GameStop does tend to charge a little more for games anyway, I'm using their site because that's where most consumers in Ireland buy their games, and they tend to have the best stock.

There's no pack-in game (as of current knowledge), so you're paying an additional €70 for a game to play on your new system. We're now at €400, which is the same price as a PS4 Pro (I'm using it for comparison as it is Sony's most recent system and the fact it comes with no game too makes it a fairer comparison).

But let's say you want to buy BotW digitally. In fact, let's assume you want to go all digital like I know some people want to do. AAA games on the eShop will most likely cost €60 like on the Wii U (BotW at retail is the same price on both systems so I assume they're keeping the same prices as Wii U games across the board), so we're at €390 for Switch + BotW. But wait, the Switch only has 32 GB of memory, and BotW is over 10 GB. Without even factoring in the Switch's OS taking up a bit of memory, and the possibility of another 5 GB day one update like on Wii U, you've already used up almost a third of your system's memory on one game. Since AAA, 3D Wii U games tended to be at least 5 GB, I'm going to use that as the bare minimum for AAA, 3D Switch games. Which means you'd only be able to get another four of those kinds of games on the system before you need to buy a microSD card. For a serviceable size of 128 GB, you're basically forking out yet another €70 (at a reduced price, mind you - it's normally €97). So we're now at €460.

Now let's say you want to buy a second pair of Joy-con for multiplayer in Nintendo's more gimmicky games like Arms, and a Pro Controller for multiplayer in more fleshed out games like a shooter or something (one Joy-con won't suffice for those as it lacks a second stick and a lot less buttons). These have both been said to be $70 each by Nintendo, which is about €65 when directly converted. So €130 in total for both of those. Added to our previous total, and it's now €590.

By the way, I bought a 49" 4K-HDR Smart TV for Christmas. It's considered to be at the higher end of mid-range 4K TVs. It was €520 (reduced sale price as far as I'm aware, but still).

Now we got to sort out online play. Yes, there's a free trial for the first few months, but that isn't per customer, it's just a specific period Nintendo is making free. Everyone is going to have to pay for it eventually, and late buyers don't avail of it. The subscription is going to be $5 a month, which is $60 for a year (the longest PS Plus subscription package Sony offers is about the same). I'll say it will be €50 over here for a year, as that is what a year of PS Plus is over here. We're now at €640 for our total.

This is not even going into the fact that PS Plus offers way more perks than Nintendo's measly "rent a NES/SNES game for a month". There's also the fact you don't ACTUALLY need a PS Plus subscription to play all PS4 games online, but only the ones that use Sony's PS4 servers. Some games, like LittleBigPlanet 3 and Journey don't use Sony's PS4 servers, and you can play online in them, with other players, for free. Granted, Nintendo might adopt this policy, it's too early to say either way though (and IMO MK8 Deluxe should have free online since the original game did too and worked well enough).

So €640 for the Switch, a meaty AAA game at launch, merely serviceable storage for games and DLC, future-proofing yourself for potential multiplayer games (note how I didn't even factor in the cost of the multiplayer games themselves), and a year of a very basic online subscription package from a company that has still yet to prove they can offer decent online infrastructure (Sony at least proved they could on PS3, PSP and Vita before charging on PS4, so it was an easier sell when they started charging).

If I went into the features you get with various PS4 bundles and how you get so much more for much less, I would be here all day, but the bottom line is, to even get the most BASIC of features ready on the Switch, you have to pay so much extra money. More than Sony's most expensive SKU (which is the most expensive SKU in gaming right now), and more than a number of 4K TVs.

Oh, and an extra Switch dock is $90 if you want one, so that's another €85, give or take. It's not really that necessary but Nintendo has kinda been touting it as a significant benefit of the system - being able to hook it up to different TVs by just placing the tablet in another dock that's set up the one time.

And voice chat and parental controls and the like seem to require a smartphone. Most people will already have one, but if you don't, well........

TL;DR the Switch is terrible value. Between this and stuff like Super Mario Run being €10 because of the brand alone, Nintendo have to be the most egotistical company when it comes to how they price their stuff.

Also just as an extra note, Arms is €75 at GameStop (MORE THAN BOTW WHAT????), and 1-2 Switch is €50. If you want them as multiplayer games at launch window for using the extra controllers you might pick, that's a lot more money.

Again, they will be a little cheaper elsewhere, but no more than €10 cheaper so it's not much of a difference to the overall point.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#234 Posted: 23:49:09 15/01/2017

To be honest, I think the smartphone voice chat is a decent idea. It's not ideal, but at least it gives the console itself less things to run, making the online play smoother.

But, aside from that, I agree with you. What they are doing is pretty bad, and, unless they make the online great, cheap, and change the monthly game system, it's going to fail.

What happens if the online doesn't turn out well even without having to run a voice chat function? A problem will be afoot.
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#235 Posted: 16:14:46 16/01/2017
I PRE ORDERED SWITCH AND ZELDA YAY!!!
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
#236 Posted: 16:48:30 16/01/2017
So after giving it some thought, I was actually thinking I'd wait until April to get the Switch. While I do like the looks of Zelda, I've never really been a fan of the series, though that could change with BotW. So this way I figured I would be able to get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Yooka-Laylee with it... Plus whatever other games I want to pick up before then if I'm able.
---
Check this out! Please?
#237 Posted: 17:00:31 16/01/2017
So after giving it some thought, I was actually thinking I'd wait until April to get the Switch. While I do like the looks of Zelda, I've never really been a fan of the series, though that could change with BotW. So this way I figured I would be able to get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Yooka-Laylee with it... Plus whatever other games I want to pick up before then if I'm able.

And Splatoon 2.

I personally would wait for a price drop or a bit more games. But that's totally up to you.
---
Bruh
#238 Posted: 17:54:29 16/01/2017

And Splatoon 2.

I personally would wait for a price drop or a bit more games. But that's totally up to you.

Yeah. For the record though, I don't think what they've currently shown off is all we're getting this year, especially since they said they have more announcements in the coming weeks (though that could just be referring to the Fire Emblem direct, but still), and also I have no doubt they'll actually be at E3 this year and drop some bombs.

Just gonna hope it does good on launch without my help. But for now that's my plan.
---
Check this out! Please?
#239 Posted: 18:33:22 16/01/2017
I see. Nintendo announced that, for now, the only thing planned for E3 is Odyssey, but I'm pretty sure there's more.

I'm waiting with excitement for further announcements.
---
Bruh
#240 Posted: 21:22:11 16/01/2017
I see. Nintendo announced that, for now, the only thing planned for E3 is Odyssey, but I'm pretty sure there's more.

Oh. In that case, i'm excited to!
#241 Posted: 22:53:36 16/01/2017
According to this interview, the free game deal works the same as the PSN. If you download the game, it's yours forever. I don't think we should 100% believe, but here's hope.
---
Bruh
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#242 Posted: 23:41:57 16/01/2017

if it doesnt come out before E3, i guarantee the large portion of the presentation will be splatoon 2
also if they go all E3 without announcing anything about the final three amiibos ill be pissed
#243 Posted: 23:50:23 16/01/2017

Huh. If that's true then maybe it was either a mistake in translation, or that was the original idea before changing it due to the backlash.

And thinking about it... The website states that the VC game offered to you will be free for the month, which could also mean you can download it for free in that month, just worded poorly.
---
Check this out! Please?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:40:55 17/01/2017 by AdamGregory03
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#244 Posted: 01:03:53 17/01/2017
Quote: Windumup
My father's reaction to the Switch, I feel freaking betrayed. (And he just told me how he felt about the PS4)

FINE, DON'T CARE ABOUT NEWER VIDEO GAMES ANYMORE!!!!! BUT NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY, I WONT PUT DOWN VIDEO GAMES MYSELF! I owe my childhood to these games, had a controller in my hand since I was a freaking toddler. Me and my father playing video games was the LAST thing he has ever done for me, and now I have lost that.

People are entitled to their own opinion, calm down there.
---
words. letters. filler.
#245 Posted: 10:30:02 17/01/2017
NoA is the one that posted it's a rental, iirc. Might be backpedaling after noticing the backlash.
---
Sboy13 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3165
#246 Posted: 17:39:28 17/01/2017
I think I'm going to wait a while before I get the Switch. My Wii U still suits me well and I have several games I still need to get or finish completely. So far, nothing revealed really stands out to me. I'm interested in Splatoon 2, but at the same time I'm still enjoying the first one and there's no telling exactly how different it's going to be. I can also live without Super Mario Odyssey. Everything else I either don't care about, or it's already things that I can get on the Wii U.

Not to mention, there are a couple of things I already don't like about it. Nintendo really sold out with the new paying for online play. smilie That was what set them apart from the others, and now they're going down the same road. I guess this is what peer pressure does to you...

There's also no backwards compatibility. I can understand this, since it has to be portable, but I don't want to re-buy all the games I already have. This is something that I'll probably have to suck up though.

So for now, my verdict is that I'm going to keep my Wii U, probably until they shut the online servers down. I'm sure the Switch might interest me more by then.
---
Purple dragon.
First | Previous | Page 5 of 9 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me