darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > Allegedly, Skylanders has been canceled... [Rumors]
First | Previous | Page 5 of 29 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 28 29
Allegedly, Skylanders has been canceled... [Rumors]
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#201 Posted: 14:28:05 10/12/2016
So... Is it official then? Or are we gonna have to wait until February or whatever?
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#202 Posted: 14:33:08 10/12/2016
Yup. If you have any fandom projects, I suggest getting a move on with them because people won't stick around for many months from now. I know I do e_e'
Waiting for official word or for the employees to spill the beans will just cause panic, I wouldn't wait.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
MekakuCityPKMN Yellow Sparx Gems: 1516
#203 Posted: 14:34:11 10/12/2016
I hope this isn't really the end. I've only been around for like... wow 6 months. But within that 6 months, I've made 3 friends, which is about double what I had, and that's a pretty big deal. I don't wanna lose contact with them over something like a series ending, but knowing me, that's completely possible.
And I don't really have anything to go back on fandom-wise right now... welp, time to go watch Voltron or something. If we get a confirmation that Skylanders is ending tho, I might just make something on it.
---
"KRANK up the Sky-Chi!"

might be making a soft continuation of the series, idk
#204 Posted: 14:51:20 10/12/2016
Well... I guess it had a good run. At least it lasted longer than Infinity did. I knew it wasn't gonna last forever, but I didn't think it'd be over this soon... If the series is officially cancelled, that is.

As for what I'm gonna do regarding these forums... I don't know. I don't even know what I'm gonna do with my collection now (even though that's something I've been contemplating whether or not the series was ending) or when I eventually do move on. I've actually collected figures for all of the TTL games, including Amiibo, so if I just go to eBay, I could be rich.

Maybe I'll still try hanging out around here, but without Skylanders, it just won't be the same.

I don't know how to feel, to be honest... I just hope they release Tidepool.
---
Check this out! Please?
#205 Posted: 14:57:36 10/12/2016
No idea to do with my collection either. I want to keep several of these guys to the bitter end(ESPECIALLY Team Waifu), but the games already have no attention over at my country, so doubt most of the commons I have will ever get sold. Maybe I'll give them to friends/relatives as actual toys, or customize away.
---
omer1698 Gold Sparx Gems: 2258
#206 Posted: 14:57:51 10/12/2016
mabey in the final days of the franchise i will made a funeral topic for you guys to say your last words to the franchise.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#207 Posted: 15:01:35 10/12/2016
I'll probably still make those Guest Star Imaginators videos, at least, for as long as I can keep buying Creation Crystals. Even though I'm not sure how many people will care with the series being dead...

I just remembered how Eric Rogers was talking about Season 2 of Academy... And I hope the season still comes out even if the series is officially cancelled. It would be such a waste to have all the work they put into the season be for nothing.
---
Check this out! Please?
#208 Posted: 15:06:00 10/12/2016
the only thing that might help us is a miracle, but it will be a false hope.
mabey skylanders will gone but spyro and gang will keep protect and fight for skylands in our hearts.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
diddy50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2554
#209 Posted: 15:17:33 10/12/2016
My hope for the future is that maybe TFB will be the only developers for the games and will now be a new game every 2 or so years.
I don't know how much VV is planning on working on Destiny 2 but I don't think they'd be working on both properties.

As sad as the possibility of the end is I am glad I got to experience it, made me feel like a kid again. I'm not throwing all hope out yet but the franchise appears to be another quick buck casualty of activision. I believe that another publisher could have handled it better but with the other companies jumping the ttl bandwagon they had to push these games out as fast as possible to still be on top of the others...either acti or one of the others would have killed ttl regardless. If Nintendo would have taken skylanders who knows how long it could have lasted or what they would have done, but I'm glad activision and the two development companies did do what they did and gave us (swappers most notably in my mind) was and is still pretty magical.

Here's to hoping for a remastered collection!
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#210 Posted: 15:18:04 10/12/2016
My only hopes are for Academy's Season 2, Imaginators' Wave 4 and 5, and if I can still collect the figures. I'll keep buying it.
---
Bruh
#211 Posted: 16:03:43 10/12/2016
Thinking about it some more, I'll probably still be on the forums, I'll just be more active on Video Games or something.
---
Check this out! Please?
Spyro Lover122 Gold Sparx Gems: 2147
#212 Posted: 16:38:04 10/12/2016
If this is the end, then it's been a great few years. I've made many friends along the way, and I can only hope that I don't lose contact with any of them. I loved the style and designs, and it was one of the most diverse worlds that I knew. I'll miss it yeah, but I'm looking more at the positive side of things. If the series ends right now I'll have the chance to buy the ones I never got, and get all the games to 100%. I also have Crash, Ratchet and Clank, Sonic and Spyro. I'll stay on the forums because I'm not too big on all the gaming chat for Skylanders anyway, as I'm more into the fandom talk of the franchise. (As I am with every game ever.)

There's a chance that Spyro won't die out along with Skylanders, (I know there's only a small chance, but I'm a dreamer) so I may be able to talk about whatever comes out of that on here too. If it doesn't, well, I still won't really be leaving. I'll still have a lot to say and do regarding the Skylanders series too, since I tend to cling on to series that haven't had activity in a while. (Ex: Spyro and Crash)

But to wrap it up, if this really is it, I've loved the joy that the series and people have brought me, and that will always be valued.
---
Whenever you reach too high, life smacks you down!
#213 Posted: 16:42:57 10/12/2016
I wonder if, in a few years, Skylanders will become some type of cult hit when the younger people that played it become older. At least we'll become c00l.
---
Bruh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:43:15 10/12/2016 by Crash10
#214 Posted: 16:53:48 10/12/2016
Skylanders got me through some hard times on my life and got me a fandom that I saw grow from the very first day, and it's a really rare experience. I can't really forget being among the first people to do fanart, the wiki, the lore, being the person to help newcomers and the voice of support when DS was still on the fandom fights, and overall the first real good collecting experience.

Community is great of course, barring a few exceptions of mentally ill people and/or jerkasses that instead of getting help only make people's lives worse and then beg for attention, but it was probably better than any attempt to wriggle in, say, Nintendo or Ubisoft fandoms where you're just another number on the crowd.

I'm of course going to stay. Going down with the ship, that's what I do with a fandom I love to the end, like Neopets. Though offsite I'll probably move on with the art once I finish my projects; unfortunately, learned the worst way on DeviantART that nobody cares if you don't follow the trends.
On the wiki, specifically, I'll probably be around to help Aura with cleanup, but dunno what else to do once the article demands are done and everything we can archive gets archived. There's the Skylanders Universe Magazine, the Books of Elements, the Annuals, but I really can't afford those, ESPECIALLY the first. Those, like a lot of visual reference from Skylanders: Universe, will be lost to the ages.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:56:03 10/12/2016 by Bifrost
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#215 Posted: 17:52:09 10/12/2016
Well guys, if you are gonna stay, I'll try to stay too.

Skylanders started nearly as the same time as I began to struggle with some serious ***t in my life which I was certainly not prepare for. During these tough years, Skylanders was one of the things which gave me joyful times,not only by playing the games but mainly as coming here and talking about it. These good times are key in helping me out of these difficulties and I have this feeling that the series has gave much more than what I payed for.

I can't change the fact that the franchise is ending but I can decide which attitude will I have towards this, and saying goodbye to this community is not something I want. I'll try to find a way to stay.

Plus, I'm still in the team that thinks skylanders is not dead. We may not get a 2017 game, but that doesn't mean we won't get any more games at all. I think that the franchise may turn into one of those games that "changes through time, but never really dies". I'll post my reasons later.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:00:35 10/12/2016 by angelg
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#216 Posted: 18:21:09 10/12/2016
i'll stay here, no matter what happens.
#217 Posted: 18:24:43 10/12/2016
after reading all those posts which you say you will stick around even if it wil end, make me reconsidering me decision to leave if it ends.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#218 Posted: 18:25:00 10/12/2016
Quote: angelg
Plus, I'm still in the team that thinks skylanders is not dead. We may not get a 2017 game, but that doesn't mean we won't get any more games at all. I think that the franchise may turn into one of those games that "changes through time, but never really dies". I'll post my reasons later.

I kind of agree with this (though maybe it's just me being hopeful), but I don't think it'll never end at the same time. I can't really see the series reaching legendary status as some other still ongoing franchises like Pokemon.
---
Check this out! Please?
#219 Posted: 18:30:32 10/12/2016
Quote: AdamGregory03

I kind of agree with this (though maybe it's just me being hopeful), but I don't think it'll never end at the same time. I can't really see the series reaching legendary status as some other still ongoing franchises like Pokemon.

I don't think there's any franchise that ends forever. It may dissapear for a long, long, long, LOOOOOOONG time, but I don't think it will vanish for the rest of the times.
---
Bruh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:30:51 10/12/2016 by Crash10
#220 Posted: 18:33:11 10/12/2016
so you guys are sayin that mabey we will get some spinoff games instead of real games util a real game will pop out.
i can live with that, i myself have a nice spinoff game.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Buuzer Hunter Gems: 6546
#221 Posted: 18:40:31 10/12/2016
If the franchise will be cancelled, let's expect a new game in the next 5-8 years.
They usually do a new game (a bad game but oh well) in order to not lose the franchise (like they did with Guitar Hero).
---
smilie smilie smilie youtube.com/user/GOWBuuzer smilie smilie smilie
#222 Posted: 18:41:23 10/12/2016
Quote: omer1698
so you guys are sayin that mabey we will get some spinoff games instead of real games util a real game will pop out.

Nope. We are saying that maybe, just maybe, the series will return, but it will take really long for that.
---
Bruh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:42:14 10/12/2016 by Crash10
#223 Posted: 18:43:45 10/12/2016
Quote: Crash10

Nope. We are saying that maybe, just maybe, the series will return, but it will take really long for that.

i will take it, becuse eventuly the nostalgia will get someone that will bring them back (i hope).
i mena we thogut that spyro will be forever lost and look where we are now. i know that there is a chunce it will not make it but there is allso a chunce it will make it, not on 2017 but on some other time.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:51:39 10/12/2016 by omer1698
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#224 Posted: 20:50:19 10/12/2016
https://www.youtube.com/channe..._pHdILgxRvgSJmA

Hmm. Just found this which could be their official Youtube channel although it's only featuring just one video uploaded a day go. The video is pretty old as you can tell it was summer in the outdoor shots but what stands out is that DESTINY is splashed all over the banner for their channel instead of anything Skylanders related. Interesting.
---
Stay Cool!
#225 Posted: 21:08:06 10/12/2016
Quote: fairyland

Hmm. Just found this which could be their official Youtube channel although it's only featuring just one video uploaded a day go. The video is pretty old as you can tell it was summer in the outdoor shots but what stands out is that DESTINY is splashed all over the banner for their channel instead of anything Skylanders related. Interesting.

Also nothing related to the Crash remakes... Equally interesting.
---
Check this out! Please?
Slamzilla Blue Sparx Gems: 588
#226 Posted: 21:13:58 10/12/2016
Quote: diddy50
My hope for the future is that maybe TFB will be the only developers for the games and will now be a new game every 2 or so years.

Here's to hoping for a remastered collection!

I just wanted to second this. I think it would be best if toys for bob just handled the series and did a game maybe every two or three years. also a remastered collection would be sweet.

Even as huge fan of this series, I've been burnt out on the amount of figures needed to access all the games' content. When Giants came out, I still wound up purchasing 2 more giants despite the fact that I got a giant with the starter.

I SINCERELY hope they wind up doing imaginators 2 next time around and focus on expanding the creation even further.
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8532
#227 Posted: 21:51:43 10/12/2016
If anything else, I think what killed Skylanders was just the sheer amount of stuff released. Between 2011-2016, 5 games were released (one every year), and the figures just kept piling on and piling on. I don't think that people other than the most hardcore of hardcore fans had the chance to get them all, and the backlog of figures just got to be too much. If Activision were smart, they'd have spread these games out, and not overwhelm people with figure after figure, and game after game. Unfortunately, that's not what happened, and now we end up with this.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:05:30 10/12/2016 by JCW555
Mesuxelf Ripto Gems: 3666
#228 Posted: 22:59:57 10/12/2016
tbh this game series should've ended in like 2013
GinjaNinja Gold Sparx Gems: 2604
#229 Posted: 23:57:08 10/12/2016
Quote: JCW555
If anything else, I think what killed Skylanders was just the sheer amount of stuff released. Between 2011-2016, 5 games were released (one every year), and the figures just kept piling on and piling on. I don't think that people other than the most hardcore of hardcore fans had the chance to get them all, and the backlog of figures just got to be too much. If Activision were smart, they'd have spread these games out, and not overwhelm people with figure after figure, and game after game. Unfortunately, that's not what happened, and now we end up with this.

6 games. But I agree with what you're saying
It's become SO MUCH for people to try and get. It's almost too much to handle, even for hardcore fans. Especially with their lack of communication on releases and such.
Spyro Lover122 Gold Sparx Gems: 2147
#230 Posted: 00:03:48 11/12/2016
I gotta agree. Don't get me wrong, I love collecting them, but I'm not rich. I'm always real short on money so I never have the time to buy more than a few before the next ones come flying in.
---
Whenever you reach too high, life smacks you down!
Pokemon2 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3814
#231 Posted: 04:16:34 11/12/2016
Maybe Skylanders should take a 5 year break
---
Moved to TimDrake, talk to me there.
SoulfulWolf Platinum Sparx Gems: 5772
#232 Posted: 04:28:50 11/12/2016
5 years? Don't you think that's a bit much? A break is what this series needs, assuming it's not dead, but 5 years might be pushing it into obscurity. 3 might even push it. I'm down for a year break, 2 years, gladly.
#233 Posted: 04:48:45 11/12/2016
To be honest if they do take a break, then I only see them taking one year. That would be enough time to make a game with everything Skylanders needs to keep it alive (hopefully). Plus would also help them prepare their marketing in advance.
---
Check this out! Please?
Sboy13 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#234 Posted: 04:58:59 11/12/2016
Quote: fairyland

Their Facebook page is the same way. It was just announced that VV is going to help work on Destiny 2, which no doubt is the reason for this. I notice they also have a new logo.
---
Purple dragon.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:02:55 11/12/2016 by Sboy13
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#235 Posted: 05:11:39 11/12/2016
I wonder what that Haedox guy thinks of this.
Is that his name? I don't even know. >.<
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#236 Posted: 05:33:57 11/12/2016
Quote: Bolt
I wonder what that Haedox guy thinks of this.
Is that his name? I don't even know. >.<

He-who-must-not-be-named hopes that Skylanders does end, so Activision can invest in a possible Spyro remaster like Crash's HD remasters.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
LordElohim Yellow Sparx Gems: 1811
#237 Posted: 06:02:26 11/12/2016 | Topic Creator
If the series is ending, I am mostly okay with it, honestly. $400-$500 a year, on a single game, is completely outrageous by any but freemium standards. That isn't even a complaint, really, as I have enjoyed collecting the figures. But, $500 a year is money that would likely be better spent on my other collections.

I feel like they could do one of two things with the series, neither of which they will actually do, but that would be viable. First, they could, if they wanted to invest just the development time and money, continue releasing games that are *just* games. No new figures or anything, just games, that remain backward compatible with all of the characters. The franchise already has 150+ unique characters, which is insane for any genre, let alone the platformer/dungeon crawler genres. The games could easily implement instant characters, or the ability to buy instant characters for in game gold, and have the select menu take you first to a character select screen, and then the upgrade screen from there. The other alternative is basically the same idea, only make smaller, Live Arcade/PSN/Nintendo Shop games. Now that Imaginators is only on next gen systems, it would not alienate consumers to release smaller, arcade size/style games, which again, retain full backward compatibility. I actually think many people on here might jump at such an idea, as those games could more convincingly implement earlier Skylanders. Like, you can only enter this gate using a character with guns, so any of us could just grab a character with guns that we have on hand, but anyone without a portal could access the character menu and buy a character with guns, either using in game currency, or microtransactions.

Something like this would keep Skylanders visible, so that if they decide to go back to the Toys to Life well, the franchise would still be relevant. I do believe that Toys to Life is basically done, though. Nintendo and LEGO could both sell what they are selling whether there was a game involved or not, because there are a great number of people that want those things anyway. Skylanders and Disney Infinity could not exist without a game to sell the figures, and I think the figures are what eventually imploded the business model. As I said in the beginning of this thread, it was Activision being Activision.
---
Hail Sithis
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5348
#238 Posted: 08:55:49 11/12/2016
I guess if Skylanders really is all coming to an end then at least I'm glad it ended on a high note and didn't have the rug completely pulled out from under it like Disney Infinity (assuming Activision actually releases all the remaining figures, which come to think of it I'm now feeling a bit nervous about...).
---
Boop me if you see this.
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#239 Posted: 09:37:50 11/12/2016
Quote: Muffin Man
I guess if Skylanders really is all coming to an end then at least I'm glad it ended on a high note and didn't have the rug completely pulled out from under it like Disney Infinity (assuming Activision actually releases all the remaining figures, which come to think of it I'm now feeling a bit nervous about...).

1. The cancellation is still a rumor and hasn't been officially announced or confirmed, they wouldn't just quietly cancel the remaining figures now. Heck, some new ones are being shipped to stores all throughout the month.

2. When they do announce a cancellation (if it's true), it'll definitely be after all remaining figures have been released or confirmed for release. They typically announce the next game right after wave 5 anyway.

So it's safe to worry about the usual one or two figures seeing limited quantities ala-Thrillipede, but it's more than likely that all figures will release in some form with how important each character is compared to Infinity.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:40:13 11/12/2016 by TrapShadowFan
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#240 Posted: 11:57:49 11/12/2016
I don't think skylanders is gonna be outright cancelled as much as the video says so. I think the series will be on hiatus for a while, but will return sooner or later. This is just speculation:

1) The series has earned Activision a huge amount of profits, breaking records in many areas. Was I the CEO of Activision I wouldn't let it go so easily. Right now they are porbably asking themselves: Has the demand for ttl dissapear or is it that we handle it badly? If they are smart enough they'll know that there is still demand for the genre, but it needs better decisions.

2) We still don't know how much sales does skylanders has to reach in order to be profitable. We know there has been a decline, but how much has it to decline in order to make Acti lose money?Have we reach that point yet? I think it is possible to find a businnes model which can be sustained with a lesser amount of sales.

3) The haven't try to make big changes in this six years. If there's a time to do that, that's right now. Lesser amount of figures, better in game content, not yearly releases, better PR strategy...saying goodbye to something which has been a total commercial succes without trying to kick in some major changes would leave me unsure of my decision.

4) We still don't know the post-christmas sales. Sure, everyhting seems bad so far, but let's just wait and see, just in case SI han't performed so badly. IF there's a game which deserves better figures, that's SI, despite it flaws.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#241 Posted: 13:27:02 11/12/2016
Quote: Spyro Lover122
I gotta agree. Don't get me wrong, I love collecting them, but I'm not rich. I'm always real short on money so I never have the time to buy more than a few before the next ones come flying in.

it looks like you will find a lot of cheap second hands skylanders in the future. because many will start sell their figures now.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#242 Posted: 13:29:55 11/12/2016
I don't think skylanders is gonna be outright cancelled as much as the video says so. I think the series will be on hiatus for a while, but will return sooner or later. This is just speculation:

1) The series has earned Activision a huge amount of profits, breaking records in many areas. Was I the CEO of Activision I wouldn't let it go so easily. Right now they are porbably asking themselves: Has the demand for ttl dissapear or is it that we handle it badly? If they are smart enough they'll know that there is still demand for the genre, but it needs better decisions.

2) We still don't know how much sales does skylanders has to reach in order to be profitable. We know there has been a decline, but how much has it to decline in order to make Acti lose money?Have we reach that point yet? I think it is possible to find a businnes model which can be sustained with a lesser amount of sales.

3) The haven't try to make big changes in this six years. If there's a time to do that, that's right now. Lesser amount of figures, better in game content, not yearly releases, better PR strategy...saying goodbye to something which has been a total commercial succes without trying to kick in some major changes would leave me unsure of my decision.

4) We still don't know the post-christmas sales. Sure, everyhting seems bad so far, but let's just wait and see, just in case SI han't performed so badly. IF there's a game which deserves better figures, that's SI, despite it flaws.

activision bobby kotick should hire you as an advisor for the skylanders game franchise.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#243 Posted: 13:36:47 11/12/2016
Quote: CountMoneyBone

activision bobby kotick should hire you as an advisor for the skylanders game franchise.

Those are actually very reasonable speculations, skylanders did gave acti abuttload of money in all of those six years, and sanse acti only care about money then this might boost them to make sky 7 or even more, and actully be smart about how they publishe the game.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#244 Posted: 13:42:00 11/12/2016
Quote: CountMoneyBone

Those are actually very reasonable speculations, skylanders did gave acti abuttload of money in all of those six years, and sanse acti only care about money then this might boost them to make sky 7 or even more, and actully be smart about how they publishe the game.

what you dont know about greedy activision, is that they have set goals of what to earn. it dont help to earn enough without a loss. if the goal aint met then in their eyes its a loss even when they havent lost money. activision is capitalism at its finest... enough is never enough for them.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:42:44 11/12/2016 by CountMoneyBone
Darksteelforge Blue Sparx Gems: 692
#245 Posted: 14:09:57 11/12/2016
I love the skylander games and I hope that they will continue in the future. Maybe give the older people a bonus for having the variants. It would be great to have bonus for having a lot of legendary characters. Or all the christmas characters or all the nitro characters. That makes older characters better. It promotes the second handed sales on eBay and a bigger demand on the older figures.
It would be great if they make a game with all the older gimmicks from the previous games. Bring back the traps, the vehicles and bonusses from the magic items. Lets to wild make heroic challenges for all the characters ever released.
I think they shouldn't stop before the release an Eons elite hex.
---
276 Skylanders. 6630 Heroic Challenges completed. So Cali now you have seen every different skylander complete all heroic challenges.
Zero Natal Green Sparx Gems: 371
#246 Posted: 23:56:55 11/12/2016
Quote: Darksteelforge
I love the skylander games and I hope that they will continue in the future. Maybe give the older people a bonus for having the variants. It would be great to have bonus for having a lot of legendary characters. Or all the christmas characters or all the nitro characters. That makes older characters better. It promotes the second handed sales on eBay and a bigger demand on the older figures.
It would be great if they make a game with all the older gimmicks from the previous games. Bring back the traps, the vehicles and bonusses from the magic items. Lets to wild make heroic challenges for all the characters ever released.
I think they shouldn't stop before the release an Eons elite hex.

I was coming to say something just like this.
I think they should take a break,not on the games but on the figures.

Make a new game. Have the racing. Hell could just make different modes, story, puzzles for each.

Such as load up the game and you select your story mode - base game all figures available.

Then have like extra other campaign like Giants campaign. Where only Giants are available (not giant series Only giants)
And do the same for swap. Trap etc.

I'm sure they probably still have excess figures they could redistribute like with the triple packs for imaginators
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#247 Posted: 00:39:46 12/12/2016
i can't believe sunburn never got a ****ing repose
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#248 Posted: 01:04:53 12/12/2016
Quote: LordElohim
If the series is ending, I am mostly okay with it, honestly. $400-$500 a year, on a single game, is completely outrageous by any but freemium standards. That isn't even a complaint, really, as I have enjoyed collecting the figures. But, $500 a year is money that would likely be better spent on my other collections.

I feel like they could do one of two things with the series, neither of which they will actually do, but that would be viable. First, they could, if they wanted to invest just the development time and money, continue releasing games that are *just* games. No new figures or anything, just games, that remain backward compatible with all of the characters. The franchise already has 150+ unique characters, which is insane for any genre, let alone the platformer/dungeon crawler genres. The games could easily implement instant characters, or the ability to buy instant characters for in game gold, and have the select menu take you first to a character select screen, and then the upgrade screen from there. The other alternative is basically the same idea, only make smaller, Live Arcade/PSN/Nintendo Shop games. Now that Imaginators is only on next gen systems, it would not alienate consumers to release smaller, arcade size/style games, which again, retain full backward compatibility. I actually think many people on here might jump at such an idea, as those games could more convincingly implement earlier Skylanders. Like, you can only enter this gate using a character with guns, so any of us could just grab a character with guns that we have on hand, but anyone without a portal could access the character menu and buy a character with guns, either using in game currency, or microtransactions.

Something like this would keep Skylanders visible, so that if they decide to go back to the Toys to Life well, the franchise would still be relevant. I do believe that Toys to Life is basically done, though. Nintendo and LEGO could both sell what they are selling whether there was a game involved or not, because there are a great number of people that want those things anyway. Skylanders and Disney Infinity could not exist without a game to sell the figures, and I think the figures are what eventually imploded the business model. As I said in the beginning of this thread, it was Activision being Activision.

Personally I think you've hit the nail on the head. I've said since game one that I thought they should focus on more games and not more characters. But would it be cost effective to build games only that cater for the huge roster of current characters? Thinking about development time to create a game that allows ALL past characters to be used, that game would then sell for what $60? $70? Would they make enough out of that to warrant the cost of development?

I would love to think the answer is yes and they would go down this path. But I suspect the answer might be no and rather than try to keep the toys we've invested so much in relevant and usable, they'll just move onto the next easier to build game.
ChillStealthElf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1864
#249 Posted: 02:53:38 12/12/2016
Quote: LordElohim

You've basically hit my "free to play" game idea...either actually F2P or a budget price with microtransactions, but those of us with the toys can use our portals to play classic style ( IE, TTL method ) or even just to scan the toys to unlock them digitally ( a la the 3DS games ) and those who don't have/want the toys can buy each character & AP level for a few bucks each. The characters & enemies would ideally be "perfectly" balanced ( meaning nobody feels to strong or weak, and no enemy feels too easy ( besides Chompies ) or too cheap & frustrating ), levels would contain content for all types of Skylanders and all collectibles would be in set locations ( Soul Gems, chests, Imaginite chests, Winged Sapphires, Mod boxes... ) and additional content/modes beyond the main levels & story could include an arena ( preferably like in Giants-TT minus the bs don't get hit missions ), racing ( with new courses rather than just a port of Superchargers' racing content ), bonus missions ( like in SF ) and time/score challenges. I highly doubt PVP will EVER return, but I couldn't care less personally either way...
First | Previous | Page 5 of 29 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 28 29

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me