Page 1 of 1
Creating physical characters [CLOSED]
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#1 Posted: 23:28:20 06/06/2016 | Topic Creator
Once you've made a character and fallen in love with how well it plays, what are the chances of being able to turn it into a physical Skylander that you put on the portal? I assume that if you took the chip out of the crystal thing and put it into a new Skylander that it would still be able to be read by the portal. And with 3D printers becoming cheaper (relatively speaking) it would be an interesting side business for someone to start up.

I don't know much about 3D printing and what's involved in getting the 2D image turned into a 3D model. But I wouldn't think it would be too hard. I imagine that Activision would be working hard to stop anyone other than themselves creating 3D models but that doesn't mean it wouldn't go on, particularly if they were made overseas. Thoughts?
Devreese Green Sparx Gems: 194
#2 Posted: 23:31:41 06/06/2016
i would love too see that happen because i had greninja as a drawing for skylanders
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:34:38 06/06/2016 by Devreese
stealth Yellow Sparx Gems: 1040
#3 Posted: 23:58:24 06/06/2016
You can definitely make them. I work with advanced 3D printing at my job, and if you have any sort of 3D software you can convert images pretty well, of course you'd need reference sheets from all angles. There might be a way to strip the game/crystal of the unique 3D design to make things faster. I'm sure third parties will take advantage of it.
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#4 Posted: 00:46:38 07/06/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: stealth
You can definitely make them. I work with advanced 3D printing at my job, and if you have any sort of 3D software you can convert images pretty well, of course you'd need reference sheets from all angles. There might be a way to strip the game/crystal of the unique 3D design to make things faster. I'm sure third parties will take advantage of it.

It would seem to make sense that Activision offer this themselves to stop third parties getting involved. It would be great to have a truly unique Skylander.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#5 Posted: 00:54:07 07/06/2016
i'd be all for this
Wolfgang Gold Sparx Gems: 2044
#6 Posted: 00:55:57 07/06/2016
I could see services that would be willing to make custom characters, but I'm almost certain they'd have to refrain from using the word 'Skylander' in their advertising.
---
♫Cheap smoke, risin' like a spirit in the- soft glow of a New York street.
No glamour or garb can hide the animal heart inside of me.♫
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#7 Posted: 03:12:43 07/06/2016
If you dubiously got a 3D model from the game, you would need to touch it up to add detail.

It would be cool if Activision decided to offer a printing service kind of like Spore and Figureprints. IDK if the fragile materials (if in color) and high price point would be seen as too far out of the target audience.
---
#all Spyros are valid
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#8 Posted: 07:03:03 07/06/2016
Would be cool if there was a firm which offer to create your figure. However I see two problems here:

1) It would be very expensive

2) Not sure if giving them your crystal would be enough data to print it.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me