Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Creating Transgender Skylanders [CLOSED]
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#1 Posted: 22:06:25 03/06/2016 | Topic Creator
Probably I was not the only one who saw that you can technically create transgender Skylanders, right? That is actually something I want to see in action.

As you can see in demonstrations of the creation process (and if I'm not wrong), I think you can freely mix and match male and female body parts. Tough I'm not sure on the first one, I'm pretty sure that you can put a female voice on a male Skylander and vice-versa.

What do you think of that? Would you create one transgender Skylander? I'm just trying to discuss that because it's something I found rather interesting, mainly because it's not everyday that you find transgenders in games, mainly in family ones like Skylanders.
---
Bruh
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#2 Posted: 22:08:17 03/06/2016
Do you mean Hermaphrodite?
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#3 Posted: 22:09:47 03/06/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

Maybe. Sometimes I mix things up. Sorry for that.
---
Bruh
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#4 Posted: 22:10:06 03/06/2016
Seeing I am trans myself I feel obligated to post in this thread.

The thing is while it is possible, why not just make them cis? Then again you can make them have backstories and make them transgender that way but still.

Also, while some trans folk don't change their voices. Some actually learn to speak in what society deems as a female or male voice (or even go under vocal cord surgeries to modify the pitch that way)

edit: About the body parts, big muscles/"chests" (keeping it family friendly)/ etc don't define gender. You may actually be thinking hermadites
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:14:21 03/06/2016 by Windumup
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#5 Posted: 22:14:16 03/06/2016
Quote: Windumup
Seeing I am trans myself I feel obligated to post in this thread.

The thing is while it is possible, why not just make them cis? Then again you can make them have backstories and make them transgender that way but still.

Well you aren't obligated, you can post for the dicussions and the (hopefully) lack of gill grunt memes today.

I don't think there's a gender option since the voices are all mixed up and they better not separate that'd be foolish, but you can do transgender, crossdress or just really into dresses/manly armor. That's the joy of creating characters with large variety, even without other body shapes you can go far.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#6 Posted: 22:17:10 03/06/2016 | Topic Creator
edit: About the body parts, big muscles/"chests" (keeping it family friendly)/ etc don't define gender. You may actually be thinking hermadites

Yeah, I try to not generalize things like that, so sorry again. But I'm pretty sure that each gender has some body characteristics specific to the gender in question, even if you can change without changing your gender. So that's what I mean by "male and female body parts".
---
Bruh
Nightmoon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1760
#7 Posted: 22:44:40 03/06/2016
Well, while randomizing parts in one video, this was shown briefly
[User Posted Image]

Either a bearded woman with big arms, or a bearded man with a very effeminate torso.

You can mix and match any parts and any voice, so whatever you wanna make with the available parts, you can.
---
Phoenix Crystal is the best unreleased Crystal.
Skylanders Academy Season 2 was an improvement.
I don't know what to think of Skylanders' future.
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#8 Posted: 02:17:01 04/06/2016
I had not think of that and if there are absolutely no limitations (ex: not being able to have female voice with male head, no female torso without female head, etc.), Imaginators could be one of the few games where the character's gender has absolutely zero impact on the story and gameplay. Good move by TFB/Activision if they go through with that. Just remember what happened with the Swap Force though: there were no female swappers and I think the reason they gave was to not mix genders (not sure if confirmed or speculation)?

Quote: Crash10
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

Maybe. Sometimes I mix things up. Sorry for that.

No, the correct term is transgender for this discussion, not hermaphrodite.
---
bye
#9 Posted: 04:12:26 04/06/2016
They kind of just handwaved it for the Swappers.
Quote: Forbes
My next line of questioning was around the mix and match Swap Force figures’ gender. Currently these all look, to my eye, as if they are male. I wondered if this was because Activision wanted to avoid crossing different genders with each other in a game for children.

Although Karthik suggested that they had to take a “gender neutral approach” to the figures so the swapping made sense, it was still difficult to talk about characters like Free Ranger, Night Shift, Hoot Loop and the others without using the male vernacular.

"gender neutral approach" sure, whatever you say, VV.
---
BlueFox Emerald Sparx Gems: 3096
#10 Posted: 04:23:24 04/06/2016
Yeeah. VV makes a lot of excuses. A few of the reasonings for the stag party of sixteen are here.
---
Where’s the account deletion button when you need one?
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#11 Posted: 07:55:56 04/06/2016
Actually it was the first positive thing I thought about the game. In the main Imanginators thread (post 1866) I said:

Quote: fairyland
Then after watching that video I realized that I can finally have my transgendered Skylanders! Unless they do something moronic like locking breasts and female voices to only the females, which I've seen some games do, then this is a real plus! It's something I wanted to happen since Swap Force, but they were too scared to do. I wonder which bathroom they'll be allowed to use? LOL!

I'm LGBT friendly and just about all my friends are somewhere in the LGBT spectrum, so I'm really happy to see something like this. I'm more happy to see that no one here has been a jerk about this as it's still an issue that causes trouble in real life.

Anyway, even though I don't really care about making custom characters, I will almost certainly make a Swap Force mash up of Stealh Elf and Flame Slinger (with cat ears, something like my current avatar) just to see how it'll turn out.

I'm thinking that this could cause a rule 63 explosion as it's a real thing for quite a few people. Check out Danganronpa and you'll see a lot of sprite edits making the characters into the other sex. I guess it depends how easy it would be to create plausable looking other gender versions of our favorite Skylanders characters.
---
Stay Cool!
Nroc-Nuika Platinum Sparx Gems: 5329
#12 Posted: 11:39:09 04/06/2016
I like to think TFB is learning from VV's mistakes.

Swap Force rightfully generated some fan backlash for its lack of female presence, and overall was handled messily. I can personally understand why they went with and all male (or *gender neutral*) cast for a kids game, but it still wasn't exactly optimal, and not dealt with very tactfully.

Imaginators essentially gets a free pass; by saying "anything you create is thanks to Mind Magic" gives them the excuse to make any kind of character, including Transgendered, Hermaphrodite or Androgynous, without exactly specifying if those traits even exist naturally in Skylands. It gives them a counter to potential close minded parents who would question this kind of character creation in a kids game. "Your kid thought up that character, not us."

I'm all for going for a gender neutral route, as that increases the variety of customisation, though I must admit, I wasn't planning on making many, if any, characters that fall into this category.

I do hope the creation feature stays this way. It's too early to tell; TFB may very well decide to sort the parts into gender exclusivity.
---
I always forget to check my guestbook
Akseyomiht Yellow Sparx Gems: 1494
#13 Posted: 15:42:27 04/06/2016
Why is this gender thing so important in a kids game? why people care this much? they are just wacky characters for kids.

This is the other side of the spectrum of the teletubbie purse controversy.
#14 Posted: 15:45:53 04/06/2016
Because gender is a very important thing IRL for some as well?
But really,in this case, it's because VV treated it WAY too poorly during Swap Force(if they kept quiet about it instead of a stupid response), TFB making up for it is a very good move.
---
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#15 Posted: 15:48:51 04/06/2016
Quote: Akseyomiht
Why is this gender thing so important in a kids game? why people care this much? they are just wacky characters for kids.

I have to agree. I think people over-react to this kind of thing these days.
Qcumber Yellow Sparx Gems: 1054
#16 Posted: 15:55:42 04/06/2016
Quote: yelvy

Same.
---
You can't handle MEMES
KingDedede Red Sparx Gems: 59
#17 Posted: 16:42:58 04/06/2016
Quote: Luminous35
Quote: Qcumber
Quote: yelvy

Same.

I agree too. I mean, it doesn't matter if there transgender type characters or not. They are still apart of a skylanders game... or something...
I'M TRYING TO SOUND REASONABLE.
It's just that people over-react to this and think it's not ok and stuff and it's annoying.

Because it is good for games to have diverse characters that a variety of fans can relate too. Not sure why that is annoying. It really does matter. Also, why does it being a kids game mean that gender isn't an issue? When Swap Force was lacking female characters, fan were rightfully upset. Skylanders is the perfect game for introducing strong, female characters.

And no, you don't sound reasonable when you call people that want transgender characters annoying. If anything, you sound intolerant.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:43:35 04/06/2016 by KingDedede
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#18 Posted: 16:54:20 04/06/2016
It's only annoying when it gets forced in a game for the sake of diversity. Character should always come first when making something. If they happen to be Trans or Gay and it doesn't seem like that's the character's ONLY TRAIT, then it's fine by me. But if being Trans or Gay is the only thing that the character has going for them... It comes off as cringey and annoying.

This, however, is just part of a character creator that allows you to mix and match male and female parts. That's just a natural part of the character creation process.
Bionichute Yellow Sparx Gems: 1889
#19 Posted: 17:05:03 04/06/2016
You don't even have to specifically make a trans character. There's nothing stating that previous Skylanders aren't trans.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
#20 Posted: 17:11:00 04/06/2016
Quote: Bionichute
You don't even have to specifically make a trans character. There's nothing stating that previous Skylanders aren't trans.

Ehhh... I disagree with this sentiment only because they developers CLEARLY never thought about things like that when they were designing characters. I'm sure if you ask them "Is Head Rush a trans woman?" They'd probably say no... That's the issue with trying to interject this stuff into a kids game. Literally none of the devs were thinking about that for even a tiny second.
#21 Posted: 17:12:51 04/06/2016
Nothin' stopping you from headcanoning them as trans.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
#22 Posted: 17:17:20 04/06/2016
Quote: TheToyNerd
It's only annoying when it gets forced in a game for the sake of diversity. Character should always come first when making something. If they happen to be Trans or Gay and it doesn't seem like that's the character's ONLY TRAIT, then it's fine by me. But if being Trans or Gay is the only thing that the character has going for them... It comes off as cringey and annoying.

This, however, is just part of a character creator that allows you to mix and match male and female parts. That's just a natural part of the character creation process.

I hate when people use this argument. There are plenty of gay characters in video games that are actually solid characters. Heck, look at Mass Effect. It had a great and diverse cast of characters that fans love. Diverse casts in gaming add a lot to the industry as a whole and can bring more people into our beloved hobby. I have yet to see a game where a gay character was forced in. From my perspective, it seems like you just don't want characters who are gay in video games. No one cares when a character is straight.

Headcannon them? Really?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:18:00 04/06/2016 by KingDedede
#23 Posted: 17:18:20 04/06/2016
Quote: Bionichute
Nothin' stopping you from headcanoning them as trans.

Sure, but I wouldn't. Sexuality and "Gender" is the last thing I think of when discussing a character unless that aspect of them is part of their character (Like Bisexual Pam from Archer for instance). That's just me, though. That's just ToyNerd's outlook on character structure.
#24 Posted: 17:19:08 04/06/2016
Yeah, I headcanon Nightfall as trans.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
#25 Posted: 17:27:35 04/06/2016
Quote: KingDedede
Quote: TheToyNerd

I hate when people use this argument. There are plenty of gay characters in video games that are actually solid characters. Heck, look at Mass Effect. It had a great and diverse cast of characters that fans love. Diverse casts in gaming add a lot to the industry as a whole and can bring more people into our beloved hobby. I have yet to see a game where a gay character was forced in. From my perspective, it seems like you just don't want characters who are gay in video games. No one cares when a character is straight.

Headcannon them? Really?

I never said that I hate gay/trans characters in games. I hate it when that's their ONLY personality trait. Take Pam from Archer as a good example of how to do this right! She is Bisexual. That fact about her comes up very often, but it doesn't take the focus of everything. Her entire character isn't revolved around being Bi... It's around being a gossip, being insanely tough and being a comic relief trouble maker. Don't make sexuality a character trait. It reeks of laziness.

Also, no one cares when a character is straight because bad writers typically don't emphasize straightness in the way that they do when a character is gay or trans. It's less of "I don't like Trans characters" and more of "I would like to see a Trans character that's written well".
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:32:08 04/06/2016 by TheToyNerd
#26 Posted: 17:34:49 04/06/2016

Because it is good for games to have diverse characters that a variety of fans can relate too. Not sure why that is annoying. It really does matter. Also, why does it being a kids game mean that gender isn't an issue? When Swap Force was lacking female characters, fan were rightfully upset. Skylanders is the perfect game for introducing strong, female characters.

And no, you don't sound reasonable when you call people that want transgender characters annoying. If anything, you sound intolerant.

Please explain how nominative pronounds make characters like a octupus pirate, fire spirit or robot more or less relatable.
Or you are telling me people needs wide hips and tities to relate to a character?
#27 Posted: 17:38:00 04/06/2016

Please explain how nominative pronounds make characters like a octupus pirate, fire spirit or robot more or less relatable.
Or you are telling me people needs wide hips and tities to relate to a character?

Why are you reducing females to their hips and breasts? I'm just saying that diverse casts are good for gaming.
Luminous35 Gold Sparx Gems: 2457
#28 Posted: 17:38:24 04/06/2016

Same.

I agree too. I mean, it doesn't matter if there transgender type characters or not. They are still apart of a skylanders game... or something...
It's just that people over-react to this and think it's not ok and stuff and it's annoying.

Well I'm sorry for being a good person and supporting trans people because it doesn't matter.
But anyway, I do see some points being brought up. This IS a kids game after all.
---
smilie smilie STARCAST FOR PRESIDENT OF MY SEXUALITY smilie smilie
smilie smilie Professor Jet-Vac? I don’t feel so good. smilie smilie
#29 Posted: 17:43:17 04/06/2016

Well I'm sorry for being a good person and supporting trans people because it doesn't matter.
But anyway, I do see some points being brought up. This IS a kids game after all.

By saying it doesn't matter means you are not being supportive.
#30 Posted: 17:44:25 04/06/2016

Same.

Some fans didn't even care about the lack of female characters in SF. I didn't even think about it.

Anyway, I agree with Luminous here. He basically covered what I would have said.
#31 Posted: 17:46:19 04/06/2016

By saying it doesn't matter means you are not being supportive.

So because you don't care that you can make Trans Skylanders means he doesn't support ANY type of Transgender person or movement. Genius!
#32 Posted: 17:48:45 04/06/2016
S&N called, they want their drama back.

All OP and others were pointing out is that you can create, not if you should. It's an option we didn't have before.
---
#33 Posted: 17:48:55 04/06/2016

Why are you reducing females to their hips and breasts? I'm just saying that diverse casts are good for gaming.

Good question dodging skills mate

I don't see how Swap force cast is not diverse
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:49:52 04/06/2016 by Akseyomiht
#34 Posted: 17:50:43 04/06/2016
Quote: Bifrost
S&N called, they want their drama back.

All OP and others were pointing out is that you can create, not if you should. It's an option we didn't have before.

Yeah, this is getting out of hand.

While made with good intentions, I don't think this thread was necessary. Yes, you can make transgendered characters, but why make a big deal out of it?
Luminous35 Gold Sparx Gems: 2457
#35 Posted: 17:51:56 04/06/2016
I don't think it was necessary either. He made a good point but I think this is getting out of hand.
Close time?
---
smilie smilie STARCAST FOR PRESIDENT OF MY SEXUALITY smilie smilie
smilie smilie Professor Jet-Vac? I don’t feel so good. smilie smilie
#36 Posted: 17:53:27 04/06/2016

I will just leave this hear smilie
#37 Posted: 17:59:21 04/06/2016

Totaly related having in mind the characters of the swap force are all white cis males.
#38 Posted: 18:07:25 04/06/2016
If these two won't stop arguing, then there isn't much left to discuss. Let's just hope this doesn't tell TFB they shouldn't keep it, some people are actually level headed in hot topics unlike the examples.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:08:28 04/06/2016 by Bifrost
#39 Posted: 18:30:49 04/06/2016
1. People arguing is the 99% of the internet, people with different ideas discuss and thats not a bad thing, he has his point of view and I have mine that's all, that dosen't hurt anybody or prevent any kind of discussion.
2. Nobody is agasint this feature in this forum it's about the discussion is about people overreacting to things (this lasts posts are a good example of overeaction)

PEOPLE IS ARGUING PLEASE HELP I DON'T KNOW HOW TO HANDLE THIS SITUATION
Yeah go ahead close the thread, this is the internet now I guess.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:31:26 04/06/2016 by Akseyomiht
#40 Posted: 18:39:29 04/06/2016
Quote: Bifrost
If these two won't stop arguing, then there isn't much left to discuss. Let's just hope this doesn't tell TFB they shouldn't keep it, some people are actually level headed in hot topics unlike the examples.

Yeah... There's a right and wrong way to debate these things. This thread is probably the wrong way.
#41 Posted: 18:51:30 04/06/2016
I know "white cis males" was a joke, but I figured I'd come up with some political buzzwords for the Swap-Force for fun: "sexually undefined diverse male anthropomorphic entities of color" ;P

I would've liked it if some of them had been female, but it doesn't matter either way. The PR reasoning was stupid, but that happens. And really, all the bottom halves were gender non-specific anyway, so if they'd simply changed a few top halves and given the changed ones female voices, it would've worked out fine. In particular, Freeze Blade as a female figure skater would've been great.

I'm always excited about the female characters, a little bummed when there are noticeably few of them (mainly just the Swappers, Giants to a lesser degree, but there were only 8 of them total, so I'm not bothered), but oh well. I'd rather have interestingly designed male characters than forced generic female characters - actual diversity over representative* diversity.

*: As in, people wanting all races/genders/sexualities to be represented, regardless of the circumstances.

In summary: I'm open-minded about all the characters (hence why I try to get all the characters), even if I tend to prefer female characters. I think gender has been fairly distributed, though slightly unfortunate sometimes. And while I personally don't think I'll make any characters that look like a mashup of female and male parts, I think it's cool that they've made it possible.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:56:39 04/06/2016 by Nightmoon
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#42 Posted: 19:12:28 04/06/2016
What this thread has basically turned into.

---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#43 Posted: 20:16:57 04/06/2016
hey guys i heard we were talking about the foxy grandpa skylan-

[User Posted Image]

.....i think i'll just leave now
BOOMCAKE Blue Sparx Gems: 970
#44 Posted: 20:21:00 04/06/2016
Well, I can tell examples about male characters who are fascinating with beauty and sociality. I can tell examples about male animal species who care for beauty. I can tell examples about cultures with males who cares for beauty. They are fabulous males. Yes, I am thinking about creating a male fabulous peacock skylander. Females with interest in male stuff are called tomboys.

Awaken my masters

But about transgenders/neutral gender they are bland characters, I can't and I will not help about this. Mixing black and white you get the boring neutral grey color. Transgenders are people who identify as the opposite gender and most of them still retains their origin gender behaviours, interest and face. And with gender I mean biological gender not that social gender ideology crap that americans children are getting recently teach.

Ignore them they are scammers and most of their saying aren't even game related or stupid like comparing video game experience with real life experience, he totaly forget the real life body pressure/stress doesn't even exist in videogames they are mechanical.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:23:21 04/06/2016 by BOOMCAKE
#45 Posted: 20:26:12 04/06/2016
Quote: ZapNorris
hey guys i heard we were talking about the foxy grandpa skylan-

[User Posted Image]

.....i think i'll just leave now

This better not ruin Foxy Grandpa's chances in the game. Lou just pressed the randomizer away but we know what we've seen. We've seen the world of possiblity.

That said Boomcake thank you for reminding me we can create JoJo Skylanders. Muscle Slider + Chest Size Slider.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:32:37 04/06/2016 by Bifrost
AzarianGO Blue Sparx Gems: 719
#46 Posted: 20:26:57 04/06/2016
Extra Credits being used as some kind of argument or statement of fact.....
No. Just, no.
Just close the thread please.
---
228 figures, 26 traps, 24 magic items, 480 games, 19 consoles.... I have a habit.
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#47 Posted: 20:28:56 04/06/2016
Quote: BOOMCAKE
Well, I can tell examples about male characters who are fascinating with beauty and sociality. I can tell examples about male animal species who care for beauty. I can tell examples about cultures with males who cares for beauty. They are fabulous males. Yes, I am thinking about creating a male fabulous peacock skylander. Females with interest in male stuff are called tomboys.

Awaken my masters

But about transgenders/neutral gender they are bland characters, I can't and I will not help about this. Mixing black and white you get the boring neutral grey color. Transgenders are people who identify as the opposite gender and most of them still retains their origin gender behaviours, interest and face. And with gender I mean biological gender not that social gender ideology crap that americans children are getting recently teach.

[youtube]Youtube katana tube]

Ignore them they are scammers and most of their saying aren't even game related or stupid like comparing video game experience with real life experience, he totaly forget the real life body pressure/stress doesn't even exist in videogames they are mechanical.

"Biological gender" doesn't exist, you are referring to sex.
Gender is a social construct
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
#48 Posted: 20:32:30 04/06/2016
can we move the topic of genders and such to pms please, we need a haven to discuss foxy grandpa
AzarianGO Blue Sparx Gems: 719
#49 Posted: 20:35:59 04/06/2016

"Biological gender" doesn't exist, you are referring to sex.
Gender is a social construct

.... *pinches bridge of nose*
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewlad.
Please mods, close it....
Before I start dropping bombs....
---
228 figures, 26 traps, 24 magic items, 480 games, 19 consoles.... I have a habit.
#50 Posted: 20:40:52 04/06/2016
LET THE TOPIC DIE PLEASE
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me