darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > Skylanders General Discussion Topic - Spoiler Warning
First | Previous | Page 625 of 636 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 623 624 625 626 627 ... 634 635 636
Skylanders General Discussion Topic - Spoiler Warning [STICKY]
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5337
#31201 Posted: 04:44:25 25/02/2018
Superchargers had a real neat idea with the elemental portalmaster powers. That's another idea that should have been expanded on rather than ditched.
---
Boop me if you see this.
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#31202 Posted: 16:36:45 25/02/2018
Just checked I-Wei Huang's LinkedIn and it seems he still works at TfB, which is good to see.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#31203 Posted: 07:29:35 26/02/2018
While this may not have everything to do with Toys For Bob, Paul Reiche III and Fred Ford are in a legal battle between Stardock over Star Control stuff.

https://www.dogarandkazon.com/
https://forums.starcontrol.com...d-paul-and-fred
---
#all Spyros are valid
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1216
#31204 Posted: 08:10:36 26/02/2018
Quote: Okaps
While this may not have everything to do with Toys For Bob, Paul Reiche III and Fred Ford are in a legal battle between Stardock over Star Control stuff.

https://www.dogarandkazon.com/
https://forums.starcontrol.com...d-paul-and-fred

Hadn't these legal troubles happened before Feb. 22 or am I from the future in the past looking at something that's happening now? I seem to recall TFB being under fire over disputes about this Star Control stuff since Q3 of last year.
#31205 Posted: 08:58:08 26/02/2018
@Johnbonne That's when it stated, the counter-suing was more recent.
---
#all Spyros are valid
#31206 Posted: 10:25:38 26/02/2018
Quote: Okaps
@Johnbonne That's when it stated, the counter-suing was more recent.

Oh I see. Cheers! smilie
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#31207 Posted: 12:13:02 26/02/2018
Wow, what a jerk move(well from what we currently know). Good luck to them, everything seemed to be going swimmingly from their blogpost.

~~~~~~~~~~~

NEW NEWS!

[User Posted Image]

Title is still Skylanders Mobile on the article, which is probably a placeholder.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:47:57 01/03/2018 by TTD
JohnnySmasher42 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3063
#31208 Posted: 16:40:56 26/02/2018
Quote: Muffin Man
Superchargers had a real neat idea with the elemental portalmaster powers. That's another idea that should have been expanded on rather than ditched.

How was Imaginators supposed to innovate anything if they didn't even have the budget to make a new portal screen smilie
---
Skylanders is dead and Activision killed it
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:41:27 26/02/2018 by JohnnySmasher42
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#31209 Posted: 16:56:17 26/02/2018
yall defend superchargers but it was... not at all of quality
#31210 Posted: 17:25:39 26/02/2018
Quote: ZapNorris

In your opinion.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#31211 Posted: 18:08:19 26/02/2018
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

In your opinion.

nightfallgate would like to have a word with you
#31212 Posted: 18:27:19 26/02/2018

In your opinion.

nightfallgate would like to have a word with you

Yeah but that didn't have a big effect on the game after a while.
---
emeraldzoroark Platinum Sparx Gems: 5357
#31213 Posted: 18:40:01 26/02/2018
Even if you didn’t like it, you had to admit, it did have some good parts.
---
Soon.
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#31214 Posted: 18:56:16 26/02/2018

That's your personal opinion.
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#31215 Posted: 03:29:41 27/02/2018
Superchargers had great story, music, and characters, and some of the vehicle segments were fun. It was just brought down by the fact that they put way too much focus on vehicles, with hardly any focus on the Skylanders themselves.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:30:11 27/02/2018 by TrapShadowFan
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#31216 Posted: 09:48:07 27/02/2018
Quote: TrapShadowFan
Superchargers had great story, music, and characters, and some of the vehicle segments were fun. It was just brought down by the fact that they put way too much focus on vehicles, with hardly any focus on the Skylanders themselves.

Well... I wouldn’t stop there with its problems, but one thing I agree with is that what was in the game had a pretty high quality, most of the time.

I guess it simply wasn’t my cup of tea, and definitely not what I was looking for in terms of Skylanders experience.
But cannot say I didn’t enjoy my first ride a lot.

Despite all the flaws it has, Imaginators is much closer to what I’d want from this franchise.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
#31217 Posted: 13:15:24 27/02/2018
Quote: JohnnySmasher42
Quote: Muffin Man

How was Imaginators supposed to innovate anything if they didn't even have the budget to make a new portal screen smilie

I suppose budget constraints could have been to blame. It's a shame they couldn't have at least just copied the portalmaster powers straight over from Superchargers, even without any improvements.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#31218 Posted: 18:15:03 27/02/2018
Honestly, the main thing I didn’t like about vehicles was that it was shoving Land Vehicles in your face.
---
Soon.
#31219 Posted: 19:58:02 27/02/2018
I'm still adamant that it would've been way more fun if they themed it around air vehicles only since, well, it's Skylands. Would've had more room for gameplay variation with just one style of movement, too.
---
#31220 Posted: 20:18:53 27/02/2018
Quote: Bifrost
I'm still adamant that it would've been way more fun if they themed it around air vehicles only since, well, it's Skylands. Would've had more room for gameplay variation with just one style of movement, too.

Maybe it would be more fun. But then Acti wouldn’t get the same money than having kart racing.
---
Soon.
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8506
#31221 Posted: 02:36:34 28/02/2018
I had a showerthought about the Skylanders franchise, and I wanted to see if what I thought of makes sense to some of you.

So I think everyone here knows that Skylanders Trap Team was the start of the decline of the franchise, but what I wonder is what happened after Swap Force and before Trap Team released to cause approximately 2 million people to get switched off from the franchise. A 2 million drop in sales doesn't happen without something to cause it. So I ask all of you who are way more aware of what transpired, what do you think happened during the aftermath of Swap Force and the lead up to Trap Team to cause the drop?
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 02:39:32 28/02/2018 by JCW555
#31222 Posted: 02:45:41 28/02/2018
Quote: JCW555
I had a showerthought about the Skylanders franchise, and I wanted to see if what I thought of makes sense to some of you.

So I think everyone here knows that Skylanders Trap Team was the start of the decline of the franchise, but what I wonder is what happened after Swap Force and before Trap Team released to cause approximately 2 million people to get switched off from the franchise. A 2 million drop in sales doesn't happen without something to cause it. So I ask all of you who are way more aware of what transpired, what happened during the aftermath of Swap Force and the lead up to Trap Team to cause the drop?

I think it might have been that TT just had way to much to buy and it turned people off. SF sold very well got the best reviews in the series, SF introduces a lot of great additions that were lost in TT. TT was great, but it felt very much like a Giants 2.0 in many ways. Graphics were very good, but yet it lacked that organicness that SF had, combat was pretty good, but it lost the wonderful knock mechanics that made SF so solid. TT also lost a lot of the bonus content that SF had, from bonus missions, to check points (and it also had shorter levels, which can go by pretty quick) and even Skylander Quests that were in Giants and SF, TT's bonus playable content were very similar to each other, whether you admit it or not, they played nearly the same. Both involved being in an small/ish arena fighting enemies. TT also ditched Battle Mode which a lot of fans were disappointed in seeing gone.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:47:46 28/02/2018 by HeyitsHotDog
#31223 Posted: 02:53:00 28/02/2018

So I think everyone here knows that Skylanders Trap Team was the start of the decline of the franchise, but what I wonder is what happened after Swap Force and before Trap Team released to cause approximately 2 million people to get switched off from the franchise. A 2 million drop in sales doesn't happen without something to cause it. So I ask all of you who are way more aware of what transpired, what happened during the aftermath of Swap Force and the lead up to Trap Team to cause the drop?

I think it might have been that TT just had way to much to buy and it turned people off. SF sold very well got the best reviews in the series, SF introduces a lot of great additions that were lost in TT. TT was great, but it felt very much like a Giants 2.0 in many ways. Graphics were very good, but yet it lacked that organicness that SF had, combat was pretty good, but it lost the wonderful knock mechanics that made SF so solid. TT also lost a lot of the bonus content that SF had, from bonus missions, to check points (and it also had shorter levels, which can go by pretty quick) and even Skylander Quests that were in Giants and SF, TT's bonus playable content were very similar to each other, whether you admit it or not, they played nearly the same. Both involved being in an small/ish arena fighting enemies. TT also ditched Battle Mode which a lot of fans were disappointed in seeing gone.

I had a feeling it was the amount of figures/stuff to buy. I think I remember people complaining about that with Swap Force, but it came into full effect with Trap Team.
---
TTD Hunter Gems: 6169
#31224 Posted: 02:58:05 28/02/2018 | Topic Creator
Financially vehicle toys were probably a great option for Activision. However, for us (the fans), I do feel a really cool option gameplay-wise could have been to incorporate the already existing Skylanders characters into these vehicle zones. For example, the sky zones could have been exclusive for flying Skylanders (Spyro, Cynder, Sunburn, Blast Zone etc.), sea zones could have been for skylanders with of the water element or skylanders that can swim (Zap, Double Trouble, Thumpback etc.) and finally the land zones could have been reserved exclusively for skylanders without these abilities and then there could be a few in-game vehicles that you can choose. The game could start with just Hot Streak but then you could purchase additional land vehicles for gold. Some vehicles could cost a lot of gold (up to 50,000 gold) which means that once your skylanders are upgraded it supplies additional replay value and means you won't have bulk spare gold with nothing to buy. As an example, here are some prices that I would expect:

Basic Vehicles:

Tomb Buggy: 15,000 Gold (12,000 Gold with Bone Bash Roller Brawl)
Thump Track: 15,000 Gold (12,000 Gold with Smash Hit)
Shield Striker: 15,000 Gold (12,000 Gold with High Volt)
Shark Tank: 15,000 Gold (12,000 Gold with Shark Shooter Terrafin)
Burn Cycle: 15,000 Gold (12,000 Gold with Lava Lance Eruptor)
Gold Rusher 15,000 Gold (12,000 Gold with Double Dare Trigger Happy)
Crypt Crusher: 15,000 Gold (12,000 Gold with Fiesta)
Barrel Blaster: 15,000 Gold (12,000 Gold with Turbo Charger)

Rare Vehicles:

Power Blue Gold Rusher: 30,000 Gold (25,000 Gold with Double Dare Trigger Happy)
Silver version of every vehicle: 30,000 Gold (25,000 Gold with corresponding skylander)
Gold version of every vehicle: 45,000 Gold (40,000 Gold with corresponding skylander)
E3 Hot Streak: 50,000 Gold (45,000 Gold with Spitfire)

So I think everyone here knows that Skylanders Trap Team was the start of the decline of the franchise, but what I wonder is what happened after Swap Force and before Trap Team released to cause approximately 2 million people to get switched off from the franchise. A 2 million drop in sales doesn't happen without something to cause it. So I ask all of you who are way more aware of what transpired, what do you think happened during the aftermath of Swap Force and the lead up to Trap Team to cause the drop?

In my personal opinion I believe it to be the amount of figures you had to buy. With Trap Team, not only did you have to buy at least one trap of every element but now every one of your existing skylanders was rendered useless due to the introduction of traptanium gates which forced you to buy premium, more expensive figures if you wished to gain access to the hidden areas. I believe it was the introduction of extra figures aswell as the normal character figures that caused the downfall of the franchise. This is why I believe if Activision wants to keep the skylanders franchise alive I think they need to keep things simple. No extra figures to purchase, just regular character figures.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:08:26 28/02/2018 by TTD
#31225 Posted: 06:55:56 28/02/2018

Until I fully wake up (and take my attention away from Total War: Warhammer), I'm going to go with the simple "rule of 3". There were three games, 2 million people got tired after three, and dropped it. That was my experience, on top of it just not looking very interesting, its only saving grace at the time was Snap Shot because he's a lizard boi. Other reasons for me that aren't exclusive to that game are pricing, not knowing what content there was, not knowing how much replay value there was, not knowing compatibility and so fourth, things that I still criticise the latest games for including Lego Dimensions' additional content packs.
#31226 Posted: 07:38:16 28/02/2018

Amiibo. People didn’t want to invest in more than one TTL product.
---
Soon.
#31227 Posted: 08:15:28 28/02/2018
Quote: Drawdler
Erm, HIHD, I know I'm saying this as someone who finds SF really ugly but I doubt the graphic changes turned many people off. There was debate about it and a fair amount of people that preferred each (it's pretty obvious where I stand, and nowadays I think people generally prefer how SF looks but it definitely isn't overwhelming in either direction and was definitely close back then) but I never saw anyone say they wouldn't buy it because of the aesthetic changes. Hell if anything I think a lot of people missed TFB's style after SF, and the aesthetics were a big part of that, so going back may have had more positive impact. I don't know about now because nobody talks about the aesthetics of this series anymore, but were definitely a larger percentage of people who disliked SF's look than TT's look at the time.

I had another ramble about how I preferred TFB's aesthetics from SA-TT a ****ton but I don't trust myself to be making a decent judgement so **** it, it's not worth it. But I will say SF looks far uglier than most people probably remember it to and SA is obviously the best aesthetically. (**** how "dated" the models are, SA does and will continue hold up as the most pleasing to look at, I know I'm biased since it's my favorite entry but the others just don't hold a candle to all the deliberate, gorgeous and memorable work there.) Outside of SC, the only time I think one of VV's console games looked any good, the modern engine tries to be clean for the sake of graphical impressiveness too often. Heading into that direction was also another nail in the coffin of the dungeon crawler feel the series had in the first game, and frankly should have stuck with, to something much more cartoony and standard. Alas, I'm ranting about this when I miss games having many more deliberate textures over engine lighting, and VV's engine and work in general is heavily lighting-based. It can still do good work with deliberate touches... but so far I've only seen that in SC. Even that is more cartoony than, as you say, organic. SA is organic yet colorful, SC is just colorful, compare the saturation of each and one clearly fits "organic" better. I know I'm nitpicking at words but dude VV's aesthetics are way more cartoony than you credit them for, even in SC.

I guess I dislike it because that's not where I want Skylanders to be. We have so much cartoony **** already. No matter how good it is, I really don't think it's the best fit and it sure is blander.

You know, it's a shame Clutch was somehow a worse artbook than Strata as there's really a world of difference between SC and every other one of VV's works, and I wish we knew more about why. I mean, there's Battlecast too although iirc Hearthstone artists did the art for that instead. If VV did most of Battlecast's art I'd be pleasantly surprised and yet further disappointed about how bad Crash looks.

... I'm sorry for all the edits, I just have nothing to do tonight. Taking a day off art and **** battle tree hax.

That's interesting you feel that way Drawdler. Granted I haven't played the games, but based on the models of the Skylanders, they feel/look like they came out of a cartoon. Maybe the worlds/levels are different, but man, the Skylanders themselves look cartoony as hell.

The fact that V.V. makes more cartoony-based graphics makes me kinda hopeful for the Spyro remakes because those games were praised for their cartoony graphics back in the day.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 08:31:58 28/02/2018 by JCW555
#31228 Posted: 09:51:34 01/03/2018
Bifrost is also right every element shouldn't have terrain because it gets immersion breaking; give one to every element and they just become a second form of elemental gate. They become less cool because you see them much more often probably for more arbitrary reasons, and it's more obvious that they're there rather than them serving as cool touches to the world. It should be things like Light Skylanders wouldn't be affected by the darkness in Cadaverous Crypt rather than Light Skylanders can form bridges of light or something. I'm for bringing this stuff back, obviously, but there are points it becomes tryhard and too obvious rather than being a cool bonus and adding to the world. When everyone's special, no-one will be.

Well, I was using the word "terrain" loosely. I really meant any kind of aspect in the environment that favors a certain element, which would include the idea of Light skylanders illuminating dark places.
---
Boop me if you see this.
TTD Hunter Gems: 6169
#31229 Posted: 21:29:50 01/03/2018 | Topic Creator
New General Discussion Topic for the mobile game: //forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=138910
New 'Everything we Know topic' for the mobile game: //forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=138909

Note: a few posts have been moved to the new 'General Discussion Topic' smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:35:27 01/03/2018 by TTD
#31230 Posted: 21:48:42 01/03/2018
reminder to keep expectations low.
#31231 Posted: 22:00:30 01/03/2018

Stop.
---
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#31232 Posted: 22:35:58 01/03/2018

Reminder that Zapnorris is a Cactus
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#31233 Posted: 23:16:15 01/03/2018
I mean, considering the mobile developers' history with its past projects, he's right in this case. Of course it's good to have hope for a good game, but don't assume it'll be a masterpiece.
#31234 Posted: 01:35:00 02/03/2018
Very interesting thoughts Drawdler, and I see where your coming from/the general gist. I like my platformers to be colorful (that's what drew me into Spyro in 1999/2000), and looking at the levels in Skylanders' games, I like VV's vivid colors, but I also like TFB's texturing as well.

Drawdler, in your opinion, do you think VV will do justice to the levels in the Spyro remakes? The original games were more about lighting and color choice rather than texturing (although that could be a product of the PS1's limitations at the time), and that seems to be VV's forte. Also some of their skies remind me of classic Spyro's skies.

I like N. Sane Trilogy's graphics, and weirdly I think pre-release people's complaints were mostly with lighting. I'm sure some people complained about the textures, but the main complaint was with lighting, which VV mostly fixed given the limited time they had.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:48:58 02/03/2018 by JCW555
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#31235 Posted: 03:09:28 02/03/2018

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

A delay could be a good sign. Unlikely, but could.
#31236 Posted: 03:23:42 02/03/2018
Thanks. Sorry if I sound like I'm coming across as angry, I will admit in ways I am and I'm having a ****ty time and home and I'm biased against VV but hey I try to think objectively. Even if my emotions lead me to what I'm actually interested in analysing.

Not really honestly. I can't tell what I expect from them aside from the same sort of weird uncanny updates to some **** as they did in the N. Sane Trilogy (I can easily see gnorcs being botched), but I don't think they'll pull something nice off. Even putting aside the problems I have with them and what I think of their past projects, Spyro is a biiiiiig project and a lot more to do than N. Sane, and as I've said I don't think they even got that right when they seem much more passionate about Crash than Spyro. A lot of things in N. Sane were clearly rushed in that they couldn't get fundamentals in them right; Spyro seems it probably would have more dev time and possibly manpower, but that doesn't mean it won't also be rushed. Even Crash got a lot of colors wrong, the ones in Turtle Woods are really bad with how the bushes weirdly stand out so much more than anything there, even the mushrooms which should be a standout color.

I also know I'm bad at making anything aesthetically nice myself but, well, it's not so much "VV didn't get everything perfect" with the N. Sane Trilogy as "WOW, THEY GOT SOME FUNDAMENTAL STUFF REALLY WRONG". I think that falls on Acti pushing it out/not caring to give them more time but in the end it's still something the trilogy very much suffers from and what I saw prerelease and certain touches in N. Sane gives me the feeling VV didn't completely get the decisions behind the original Crash games.

Also seriously does anyone have the link to that article saying VV didn't care about Spyro as much as Crash, I swear it was posted on this topic a couple months back I can't be imagining it and it would help a lot giving an idea of how they started going into Spyro remakes

I don't have an article, but looking around on forum posts and such, is seems like VV were misconstrued. They didn't say they hate Spyro, but they were unfamiliar with his gameplay in the original trilogy. I'm pretty sure that for the remakes they played them and became familiar, and hell, maybe they'll say that they had a lot of fun with them after the remake is announced.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 03:27:10 02/03/2018 by JCW555
#31237 Posted: 04:15:08 02/03/2018
Hopefully it will last longer than the other Skylanders mobile games
---
#all Spyros are valid
#31238 Posted: 15:08:02 09/03/2018
Not sure if this is considered "off-topic" or irrelevant (tbh I don't know where to ask about Starlink), but would news about that game motivate Activision to show some Skylanders stuff in the works? It might not be such a bad idea for the publishing giant to compete with a game that so far doesn't seem hugely appealing.
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#31239 Posted: 10:52:34 13/03/2018
Sorry haven't been on here for a while. Did everyone see that TFB are working on the Crash Switch port? https://gamerant.com/crash-bandicoot-switch-toys-bob/

I would assume that would make any Skylanders based work for TFB unlikely.
#31240 Posted: 12:57:21 13/03/2018
Quote: kaosmumishot
Sorry haven't been on here for a while. Did everyone see that TFB are working on the Crash Switch port? https://gamerant.com/crash-bandicoot-switch-toys-bob/

Yup, they're a small team. With Reiche also with that Star Control kerfluffle, it's unfortunately not happening for the foreseeable future aside from the mobile game.

which I hope doesn't get killed in less than 6 months
---
#31241 Posted: 12:57:47 13/03/2018
Quote: kaosmumishot

Interesting. So they probably will both end up working on the rumored Spyro remakes as well, which means the best we can hope for is that Activision is waiting until both the Crash and Spyro remakes are completed and ported to all systems before having VV and TfB return to Skylanders (if at all).
---
Boop me if you see this.
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#31242 Posted: 14:07:33 13/03/2018
If the rumored Crash 5 years plan is true and if Spyro will follow the same route, then I guess it’ll be a while before we hear about console Skylanders games as well.

Unless Activision finds other developers for the series, of course.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#31243 Posted: 20:44:21 15/03/2018
So with TRU going under, I wonder if it affects even the thought process of another entry.
- Unreall
Portal___Master Emerald Sparx Gems: 3718
#31244 Posted: 03:52:17 16/03/2018
Sad news, the last tru large physical toy store going out of business. smilie

IF SkyLanders makes a return, they'll have to choose a new venue for the Legendary figures (IF those come back).
---
smilie
Guinness Book of World Records holder for Largest SkyLanders Collection.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SkyLandersCollectorsGroup
First | Previous | Page 625 of 636 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 623 624 625 626 627 ... 634 635 636

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me