darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: SuperChargers > Is Skylanders going down hill or is this just a misstep?
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
Is Skylanders going down hill or is this just a misstep?
Solaris Green Sparx Gems: 485
#51 Posted: 11:45:29 12/12/2015
I had brought TT and this year SCC Skylanders for my kids, but unlike TT they have a hard time getting into this game due to the fact that neither of them are particularly good at racing, whereas platforming was much simpler and more easily for them to get into. I also have Disney Infinity 3.0 which they like a lot due to Star Wars (and Marvel superheroes). Once I get the two remaining trophy packs for SCC I'll probably stop buying more, and thanks to Black Friday I have purchased Lego Dimensions starter and several packs that were on sale. Because of Lego and Disney's TTL I seriously doubt I will buy next year's Skylanders, to be frank. As others said, other games offer more recognizable IP and that makes kids and even parents excited to buy, and Skylanders simply don't have that, even with Skiimibos. And you must choose because unless you are super rich, you cannot afford all these games and have to choose one or two, and thanks to SCC I think my choices are clear. And that's a shame.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 11:50:44 12/12/2015 by Solaris
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#52 Posted: 12:53:19 12/12/2015
I completely respect your opinion, Solaris, but I'm personally sad to hear this (and it seems you kinda are as well).

I'm no one to judge others really, and I wouldn't want you to think this is what I'm doing but... I'm sincerely sad to hear recognizability has won over creativity and originality for some.

I mean... Making Marvel and Star Wars part of DI was indeed a good move and Made tons of fans incredibly happy.
But... Wasn't it a bit cheap...?
Slapping two of the most popular franchises and calling it new?

Again I fully understand the choice and share it but... This is it?
That was all your innovation, Disney?
Was it really enough to justify yet another game?

SuperChargers was equally cheap ("Look, kids! Cars!") but they at least tried to make the game feel fresh and unique.

Not having recognizable character is what makes Skylanders so fantastic, to me.
You are always wondering which characters will come next and which abilities they will have and you will probably not figure it out until you try the character yourself.
That's one of the reasons I dislike reposes so much: those characters already had their time to shine now it's time for new heroes.
It shouldn't be Activision the one which decides which characters are fan favorites and which aren't.

That being said... I do understand why SuperChargers may have been a letdown.
Hope the next game will make you change your mind. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#53 Posted: 14:08:34 12/12/2015
If lacking old designs made the games worse new franchises would've never been made for videogames this last two decades. There are characters you never know you want until you see them,no matter how much you love some already.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:08:52 12/12/2015 by Bifrost
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#54 Posted: 14:19:16 12/12/2015
Quote: Drek95
Well, I prefer a game with patch support to fix problems and add content instead of a buggy and glitchy game which will remain the same.

Of course a mostly bug-free game with or without patch support would be the best but I hardly see them nowadays.
Even games developed with true passion and dedication have to follow the rules of the market, and sometimes devs have to release a game on a very specific date thus being unable to fix everything (Bloodborne, for example).

I prefer to see patches as a way to keep improving the game not only by solving problems but also by adding new features from time to time to keep the game alive.
I think there is nothing bad with that.

well i prefer they finished the game when they do release it, a few adjustment patches for the online i dont mind. when i am gonna pay 1000+ dollars for a game, so i dont see any wrong in asking for this.
also when you as a developer/publishers have a 3 billion earning on a game franchise, and its not some indie project done in the bedroom. i expect these developers/publishers put some effort in it than just getting even more lazy and try cut even more corners and hike up the prices.

take this example... the latest game i bought for the wiiu (a console with the smallest userbase of the 3 consoles out now) "Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water" i even got it on disc. made by a small developer team and released not on a very huge publisher. the game was also not expected to sell much because its an exlusive for the wiiu only, and it never will be 3billion dollar selling game franchise either(even if it is a game going on for years).... you know what... there was no bug fix patch to download at all. it was quality game all the way, and the developers took the time and care that was needed, thats how it should be done... so there is no excuses what so ever for activision that is a one of the biggest game publishers out there with the biggest earnings.

its time people remove themself from the fanboyism they have for the skylander game. just go look topics all over people not happy with the quality. there is no reason to defend activision, they are not doing their job properly.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#55 Posted: 14:27:14 12/12/2015
Ah, so now we're comparing small dev teams and horror games to AAA and TTL hack-and-slash. Great way of proving your point,not.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:27:30 12/12/2015 by Bifrost
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#56 Posted: 15:46:02 12/12/2015
Well, chances are indie games are going to take more risks than Triple A games. But most indie developers also don't have to design and produce a line of figures, whether of new or pre-existing characters, every time they come out with a new game.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#57 Posted: 16:08:47 12/12/2015
I'm personally staying away FROM DI and Legos because I've already "been there, done that" with all of the franchise stories (Star Wars), and building (either virtually or in real life) doesn't suit my fancy. I like the unpredictability of Skylander designs. Also, gameplay wins over IP in my house, and the other two didn't break new ground there necessarily. However, I'm not happy with Skylanders either, they are literally rinse/repeat on the core platforming concepts and we need innovation there, not necessarily on the toy gimmick if that makes any sense....

I'm personally to the point where I spend the money I would have on the figures on, well....GAMES. If the TTL stops pulling me in, I can get my fantasy fix with more options on the gameplay front. Yes, Rise of the Tomb Raider...soon....soon...I have bought ~10 new games on the Black Friday sale, so I'm more than covered for the next six months.
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 16:13:23 12/12/2015 by TakeYourLemons
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#58 Posted: 02:20:09 13/12/2015
Well, like others said, the good thing of Skylanders is the creativity and how unpredictable the roster of each game is. Also, in my opinion, Skylanders is the best game in gameplay aspect. It's more fun to play. Simple. But it's what I think.

Also, I understand your point, Count, but only because you blamed Activision. I know that they want money, so they will try to release one game each year, no matter what it takes. It's not VV/TfB fault, it's Activision. And well, I prefer a bugged game with updates than a bugged game without updates.

As a little note, the Fatal Frame publisher is in fact a big publisher: Nintendo itself.
---
Bruh
ChillStealthElf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1864
#59 Posted: 04:26:14 13/12/2015
you must be in Europe, Count...here in the US, Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water was stupidly digital only and takes up at least 1/3 of the hard drive ( Nintendo better put a REAL hard drive in the NX, preferably 1tb...the Wii U's 32 gb can't hold jack ). also, Nintendo published the game ( in fact, since the Japan only 4th Fatal Frame title they co-own the franchise ).

and I have to agree, TakeYourLemons...I love Marvel & Star Wars and other Disney IPs but the gameplay of DI doesn't appeal to me ( too much focus on the toy box mode, and no mix & match in the story levels... ) while LEGO uses a few IPs I couldn't care less about ( Wizard of Oz, Scooby-Doo, Ninjago, Chima ) and the same basic gameplay we've had since the original LEGO Star Wars with a really gimmick portal ( I am tempted purely because of Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Portal and Doctor Who though.... ). While I may not like the focus on vehicles this go around, I still prefer Skylanders for my TTL gaming ( amibo don't quite count imo...they merely unlock small content in a few games, rather than being used to PLAY anything )
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#60 Posted: 21:17:06 14/12/2015
Am i the only one that sees why it doesnt do well? from the looks of the game its all about racing, people don't want that.
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#61 Posted: 21:59:08 14/12/2015
Quote: Kevin16
Am i the only one that sees why it doesnt do well? from the looks of the game its all about racing, people don't want that.

I think the racing aspect has turned a lot of kids off. Kids like to roam around a level every now and again with their Skylanders...not be forced to race (at least at land sections). It's essentially a break in the middle of the level abandoning traditional Skylanders gameplay. Kids and adults alike who don't like racing won't revisit/replay a game which disappoints or bores them upon the first play through. Not only do I dislike the racing portions of levels, but I hate when I have a sea or air vehicle on my portal and have to run to the portal to take the vehicle off when a different terrain comes up. I begrudgingly now play levels with just my Skylanders character and Instant Hot Streak when that darn forced land vehicle zone comes up. Constantly running back and forth to the portal to switch vehicles within a level is definitely not an appealing factor of the game.
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#62 Posted: 14:34:10 15/12/2015
I actually disagree, the kids *a few* that I've been around for this entry all enjoy swapping the cars just as much as traps or Swap Force tops.

But they can't drive it. Granted, my perspective are with kids around 5, but it is the worst driving experience I've ever had, and I date all the way back to Super Off-Road in the arcade...so I can only imagine how kids feel trying to control the vehicles. My son constantly just gives me the controller for dirving sections, or ask me to steer while he just shoots. The driving flat out *sucks*. It isn't FUN, ANY OF IT. Not the flying, not the driving, not the ...sailing?

Its a good idea, but implemented horribly. It's like trying to play Street Fighter on one of those old Tiger Electronic devices.

But that doesn't influence sales. I really just think the magic is gone and overall interest is down. People are tired of the cost, and most feel they don't get their money's worth. I've hardly gotten my son any figures of his own this year...like 3 for XMas and like two or three since launch. Just not going to spend the money anymore.
- Unreall
boomerfan Yellow Sparx Gems: 1602
#63 Posted: 19:49:26 16/12/2015
Well with all of the competitors (disney infinity,amiibo,lego dimensions) skylanders is still a great franchise but its not selling as much as the others (well what ive heard at least) but im still gonna play the game until the series finishes.
---
smilieBRING THE BOOM!smilie
ChillStealthElf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1864
#64 Posted: 02:22:29 17/12/2015
Quote: boomerfan
Well with all of the competitors (disney infinity,amiibo,lego dimensions) skylanders is still a great franchise but its not selling as much as the others (well what ive heard at least) but im still gonna play the game until the series finishes.

Same here, while I'm not a huge fan of the vehicle stuff ( in the main game that is...the Racing game on Wii & 3DS is surprisingly fun ) I still plan on keeping up with Skylanders until it ends. As for the competition, I am obsessed with amiibo but I can't really count them in the same vein as Skylanders, LEGO Dimensions & Disney Infinity. amiibo merely unlock a skin here or random thingy there ( ie, the "find the 8-bit Toad" missions in Captain Toad, the lame amiibo party mode in Mario Party 10, getting random Rupees & materials in Hyrule Warriors... ) with only Animal Crossing amiibo Festival doing anything more ( and even THAT falls flat imo...and that's coming from someone who finds it semi enjoyable ). The biggest reason amiibo are doing so well is the fact that they're official Nintendo figures, including the likes of Ness, Shulk and the Fire Emblem characters who may never have had figures otherwise.

At this point, it looks like the toys to life genre is going to be split by gaming tastes. Skylanders will be more for those of us who prefer the platforming & Diablo-esque gameplay, and the more interesting story. LEGO will be more for straight up LEGO fans, as the gameplay is barely changed from even the original LEGO Star Wars and requires lots of building the toys. Disney Infinity will cater more towards Disney & Minecraft fans, since the main draw seems to be the toy box mode. amiibo are totally for Nintendo fans like myself, though I hope they finally start putting out games that really put them to use like Skylanders as right now they're more of a collection thing.
Solaris Green Sparx Gems: 485
#65 Posted: 03:47:28 17/12/2015
Quote: Unreallystic
I actually disagree, the kids *a few* that I've been around for this entry all enjoy swapping the cars just as much as traps or Swap Force tops.

But they can't drive it. Granted, my perspective are with kids around 5, but it is the worst driving experience I've ever had, and I date all the way back to Super Off-Road in the arcade...so I can only imagine how kids feel trying to control the vehicles. My son constantly just gives me the controller for dirving sections, or ask me to steer while he just shoots. The driving flat out *sucks*. It isn't FUN, ANY OF IT. Not the flying, not the driving, not the ...sailing?

Its a good idea, but implemented horribly. It's like trying to play Street Fighter on one of those old Tiger Electronic devices.

But that doesn't influence sales. I really just think the magic is gone and overall interest is down. People are tired of the cost, and most feel they don't get their money's worth. I've hardly gotten my son any figures of his own this year...like 3 for XMas and like two or three since launch. Just not going to spend the money anymore.
- Unreall

I think if the racing aspect of the game is optional, SuperCharger won't be so bad. But forcing the players to abandon platforming for racing that most kids and even some adults cannot get into due to the horrid controls is what is hurting this game. I thought Trap Team was done exceptional well, but it's too bad that its follow-up hardly resembles what I think a Skylanders game should be.
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#66 Posted: 04:31:34 17/12/2015
Quote: Kevin16

It's not ONLY about racing...but that's the rub. You can't opt out. You're forced to participate in the gimmick whereas in the previous games it was optional but STRONGLY encouraged. I like the racing tracks, but I liked the OTHER after game features they delivered in the first three games. Not saying I need EXACTLY those features, but you get my point. When it was about SKYLANDERS, they were in the rhythm. They've been off key for last two entries.

They'd be better served to innovate the GAME but keep the toys figure related and the gameplay on the skylanders. And provide gameplay content that encourages collecting and experimenting with the new characters--hopefully in game in ways other than to simply open a gate to get xyz. Last two games have served to remove that element, so there's very little need for people to use them in the game.
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 04:37:10 17/12/2015 by TakeYourLemons
#67 Posted: 10:13:44 17/12/2015
Actually,now that the Vehicle Zones were patched into levels,we DID get open gate to xyz in levels again, the difference is that you can get them from the hub the same way and the challenge never changes.
---
GoHeels999 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1022
#68 Posted: 03:14:13 31/12/2015
Great game, I really enjoy he variety and challenge (when you bump up difficulty) of the levels. Probably one of my favorite Skylanders games. I am guessing that anyone complaining loves dungeon crawling and hates that is not all this game is about?
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#69 Posted: 03:20:27 31/12/2015
Quote: GoHeels999
Great game, I really enjoy he variety and challenge (when you bump up difficulty) of the levels. Probably one of my favorite Skylanders games. I am guessing that anyone complaining loves dungeon crawling and hates that is not all this game is about?

The people that complain generally don't like that much racing games. So the game feels empty to those people.
---
Bruh
Echo2VX Gold Sparx Gems: 2918
#70 Posted: 07:27:52 31/12/2015
I'm confused with the people saying vehicles don't work well in-game, and they don't control well...I'm not sure how to say this, but you're either inexperienced with vehicles in games, or you're just bad. The controls are almost perfect, and it works extremely well in every single class of vehicle.

But I think that is part of what caused it to go downhill. They turned a recognizable game that everyone could play, into a game that only certain people might enjoy. I am huge on racing, and a professional Mario Kart player, so I am loving the heck out of this game. It is kind of sad that I have won every single race I have played so far.

I believe the biggest reason for Skylanders going downhill, is because of the flooded market of toy-to-life games. Even recently, I started with Amiibos, since I am also a professional Smash Bros player. While I am still staying loyal to Skylanders, I can only imagine how much temptation there is for the younger audience. Just be glad this all started with Skylanders at least. I believe the 6th installment may be the last.
---
Together, we can stop sheep abuse!
Top 10: smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie>smilie
shadowfox Platinum Sparx Gems: 5084
#71 Posted: 08:58:24 31/12/2015
Quote: Echo2VX
I'm confused with the people saying vehicles don't work well in-game, and they don't control well...I'm not sure how to say this, but you're either inexperienced with vehicles in games, or you're just bad. The controls are almost perfect, and it works extremely well in every single class of vehicle.

This. I haven't had any issue with them either. But people also say nightmare mode is difficult and also jumping sooo...... shrugs. There is a learning curve to every video game. You cant just pick up something and be good if you are unfamiliar. Video games sometimes take practice to master, but people dont want to spend a few hours stuck on a level until they get good enough to beat it. They want to play and assume they already have the skills to beat the game than get better at it. Rather sad.
#72 Posted: 10:45:43 31/12/2015
The controls I haven't had a problem since I switched to button and stick,but dear lord the turns are just crap. Good luck trying to go over slopes in a funny angle because your car will hit an invisible wall on the way out and have a seizure until you can make it face the right way or the game teleports you back; Warden Moneybone would be TONS less frustrating to fight if your car didn't decide to just stop and get stuck when you hit the wall right next to the Perspective Gates,etc etc. No idea about other terrains since can't afford one yet.
---
cstall04 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1050
#73 Posted: 15:00:26 31/12/2015
I have loved every other skylanders game as a whole. Given each of them had their drawbacks, i.e the slowness/clunkiness of the giants, cost of traps to be able to be able to trap each villian individually, etc. That being said I truly like this one as a whole too. I love racing games, I grew up during the days of thr original Mario Kart and spent so many hours playing it its unreal. My kids, who aren't huge gamers yet because they aren't old enough love the game and the driving portions as well. I think this version is one of those that some people are going to either love or hate because of the driving portions
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me