Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 13 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Undertale
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6082
#1 Posted: 04:37:19 22/10/2015 | Topic Creator

It's funny, it's strange, it'll kick your heart across the room when you least expect it...it's Undertale, the RPG where nobody has to get hurt!

There wasn't a topic for it and I keep seeing all these Undertale icons, so...now there's a topic. :D Please make sure to put your spoilers under a cut!

Fell in love with this game last week and am currently on a second playthrough. How about you, fellow monsters and/or humans?
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#2 Posted: 04:50:03 22/10/2015
FINALLYYYYYYyyyy I've been waiting for someone to make a topic for this.

I'm so so glad I purchased this game, I'm so in love with it.

I'm doing my first play through it right now. I'm trying to keep my hands clean because I don't have the heart to kill any of the characters but I'm stuck on Muffet. It's embarrassing the number of times I've tried to get past her and I CAN'T.

Also, Toby Fox still makes A+ music.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:55:42 22/10/2015 by Darby
K-Tech Platinum Sparx Gems: 6184
#3 Posted: 05:06:19 22/10/2015
This game was an absolute joy to play and I haven't choked up in and laughed in a long time. This is that pixar-ish style of making you laugh and cry with the addition of being so compelling. Also it's beating out MGSV on Metacritic even though I don't care for the review site much.

And also that Jim Sterling gave it a perfect score. I don't think I ever seen him love a game like this before.

Also every character to a point has such charm, why would I want to kill them in a No Mercy route?
---
I'm k-tech... and I approve this message.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#4 Posted: 11:09:45 22/10/2015
*Seeing a thread about Undertale and people actually posting on it fills you with determination.

I decided to give this game to a friend since I couldn't afford two copies(saving up to pay WiiU bills) and drowned myself in Let's Plays. THIS is how you make amazing characters,narrative and a compelling story - you know Toby won when he manages to convince half the players to never attempt No Mercy, or truly leave the game when the best ending has been achieved. I'd probably get horribly stuck since I've never been too good at bullet hell,though.
Just everything about the game is awesome, but just like everyone else I do wish that the best ending had a bit more best... You'll know what I mean when you get there.

Favorite characters are the skeleton bros for sure, but it'd be too painful to decide which one would be the best. You have the character on Sans, and the charisma of Papyrus who's probably one of the sweetest, nicest characters around in a long time.
Also oh yeah and the soundtrack is amazing. Been hearing it for a while and can't decide on a favorite list.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 11:11:56 22/10/2015 by Bifrost
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#5 Posted: 11:52:43 22/10/2015
I was expecting for this topic to show up sooner or later. Heh.

This is one of the very few games to ever make me break out in laughter. Toby did a great job bringing out the personality of the characters. I probably won't ever play Genocide, to be brutally honest.

My personal favorite is Undyne, even though you can't go wrong with Papyrus and Sans.

Also, Darby..

If you had a leftover Spider Donut or Spider Cider from the Bake Sale back in the Ruins, it can spare Muffet instantly if you use it during the fight.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 11:56:17 22/10/2015 by Matteomax
#6 Posted: 18:13:00 22/10/2015
Quote: Matteomax
Also, Darby..

If you had a leftover Spider Donut or Spider Cider from the Bake Sale back in the Ruins, it can spare Muffet instantly if you use it during the fight.

After dying repeatedly, I read this on a walkthrough and I was like AWESOME. I ate all my donuts. So now there's literally no way around it and everything sucks.

As far as favorite characters go, I obviously have to say Sans & Papyrus. But I don't want to discredit all of the others because they're all such good characters.
#7 Posted: 18:16:41 22/10/2015
Well, there's another option.

If you paid Tem for higher education and died enough, there's Temmie Armor if you can't last all turns before you can spare her.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:17:06 22/10/2015 by Bifrost
#8 Posted: 18:29:03 22/10/2015
I recall the price for higher education being like ridiculously high that I couldn't afford it. I guess I'll go back and fight more random monsters so I can get that because there's no way I can survive without it omg. Thank you!! I had no idea that was a thing.
#9 Posted: 22:06:57 22/10/2015
If you want a ton of money for the armor or items get the dog residue from waterfall.
---
#10 Posted: 22:33:15 22/10/2015
Dog residue or reselling the Tem Flakes from her own shop; they cost 1G and sell for 2G (yeah people speculate she DOES have da muns for college but never noticed). That one takes a lot longer,though.
---
#11 Posted: 22:37:07 22/10/2015 | Topic Creator
Fastest way to get money in the game under the cut:

It takes a few trips, but it's not too difficult to buy the Tem armor. Go to the Temmie village and sell everything you don't need. Then go to the old turtle shopkeeper in Waterfall and buy as many Cloudy Glasses as you can. Go back to the Tem shop and sell them (Temmie will pay 50g for each; if she freaks out and says she really wants one, say "no" to her first offer and "yes" to the next one, which will be higher). You'll be able to send Temmie to college in no time. Also, the Tem armor drops in price every time you die; by the time I actually bought the armor, it was only 750g because I'm that terrible. XD The money trick works best when you have the two dimensional boxes on your cell phone; clear them out as best you can (there are some things you should keep, but you can always rebuy stuff like HP snacks later) and fill every free slot in both boxes with Cloudy Glasses.

I have a hard time picking a favorite character, too. There's a very soft, squishy place in my heart for Toriel because she's just so sweet. Alphys and Undyne are what made me want to play the game in the first place. And Mettaton. Just...Mettaton. XD I don't know if I've ever gone through a frustrating, multiple-deaths boss fight with a grin on my face the whole time ever in my life. XD
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:40:06 22/10/2015 by Razz
#12 Posted: 03:53:23 23/10/2015
@all of you: THANK YOU!!! I'm sitting down to try it right now.

I've not "befriended" Undyne yet but I see so much of her online so I'm excited to interact with her. Alphys is so dang cute. And Toriel is so pure. My friend didn't know how to get around her and killed her and I scolded her. How can you kill such a pure goat lady.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:28:16 23/10/2015 by Darby
#13 Posted: 07:47:22 23/10/2015
Most people forget about the random froggit's advice to try sparing even without a yellow name, and from what I've seen, when Toriel has low health you somehow are rigged to crit.
Might actually be to introduce you to Flowey's dialogue changes since pretty much most LPers I've seen will reset on sight once they notice the strategy isn't to reduce her health so she'll be willing to talk since you can never reduce enough until the crit.

For Undyne the requirement is having a perfect pacifist run up until the point you fight her, even the dummy can ruin it, though iirc Napstablook doesn't count? Either way, after her battle you'll eventually find a boat quicktravel which you can use to get to her house in Waterfall, no need to walk the way back.
---
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#14 Posted: 08:14:11 23/10/2015
I love this game and it's my favourite RPG Maker/GameMaker game, even better than Mogeko's games (which are really good artistically wise, but it's full of cliches tbh).

My favourites are the skeleton bros, Undyne and Muffet.

And I really don't think I will do a Genocide run. I can't kill the skeleton bros, goat mum or Undyne. Also the fact that everyone is affraid of you also puts me off too. And there's also the fact that:
After doing a Genocide run, the Pacifist ending is gets permanently affected and the ending has a bit of nightmare fuel to it. And this can only be erased by doing something to the save files or something.

My two favourite songs from the soundtrack are only in the Genocide run though (Megalovania and Battle against a True Hero). >__<
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 09:39:25 23/10/2015 by DarkCynder_543
#15 Posted: 09:56:47 23/10/2015
Not sure if it's worth hearing In My Way for them though. Stumbled upon that one thinking it was some uplifting cutscene track. *shudder*

Well, that and the fact one of the first signs of No Mercy is
Flowey being voiced for one of his lines. Damn he sounds uncanny even with his regular face.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:04:52 23/10/2015 by Bifrost
#16 Posted: 16:43:20 23/10/2015
Oh my god I finally got past Muffet, easily, with the temy armor. The number of times I had to walk back and forth between the Turtle Salesman and Temmie Village was just shameful, but hey it paid off!! I'm currently at what I assume is the final fight with Mettaton where he reveals his... Body.
#17 Posted: 17:00:52 23/10/2015
For more tips if a later boss takes too long to figure out, if you still have the
ButtsPie(I know the actual name) save it. It is a full heal iirc, but you'll know when to use it if you explore the rooms often.

Spoilering for those playing fully blind.
There's also something you can do with the Stick at the second half of bosses, but can't remember who or where.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:29:47 23/10/2015 by Bifrost
#18 Posted: 20:09:20 23/10/2015
So this is where I am....
[User Posted Image]
NO. SCREW THIS.
#19 Posted: 00:49:13 24/10/2015
Quote: Darby
So this is where I am....
[User Posted Image]
NO. SCREW THIS.

Yeah here's some so-so advice...

Once you hold off most of his attacks you'll "fight" him a couple of times. After that it lets up a little by going through six mini battles and the ability to heal near the end. You have to sort of get good, but you'll get the patterns down and take a little less to make it to the end. Also dying sucks with the restart program thing.
---
#20 Posted: 01:01:40 24/10/2015
I have an issue that I can never get Undertale to go fullscreen. And I have Windows 10. It says to press F4, but F4 doesn't work because F4 instead comes up with options about projecting my screen to another screen. I tried pressing alt, fn and/or ctrl too with F4 but they don't work. >__<
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:05:19 24/10/2015 by DarkCynder_543
#21 Posted: 01:05:16 24/10/2015 | Topic Creator
I reacted like this at that point. XD

Flowey isn't actually as bad as he seems. You just have to hang in there and dodge as best you can. If he kills you (and he will) your place in the battle is saved. Just keep rebooting the game and hacking away at him with the help of the other hearts. Once he's defeated, be sure to spare him (I know, nobody wants to) so you can do the full pacifist run.
#22 Posted: 01:07:28 24/10/2015
wait never mind i got it. i didn't know that F4 + alt + enter was an option. xD
---
LTU Spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 4985
#23 Posted: 16:08:09 24/10/2015
I want this game to be erased from my memory...

...so I could experience it for the first time again!
#24 Posted: 17:08:58 24/10/2015
Be careful for what you wish for :U

Sans has to go through that every time,no matter the path; and some other characters get serious deja vu despite the fact you just "first" met.

Joel from Vinesauce just started the Genocide run. I don't have the guts to watch this even if I'm not the one doing it; even seeing snippets of it on dumb meme videos made me feel uncomfortable.
---
#25 Posted: 21:50:27 24/10/2015
I'm sure almost all did a Genocide run out of curiosity, what will happen.
The ending though...
#26 Posted: 22:02:00 24/10/2015
From what I've seen on forums, most stopped the moment when faced with killing a favorite character or a certain speech,or when given the opportunity AFTER the cool thing.

Most are very happy with getting dunked on since the spoiler that Sans is the last guy giving you a challenge is widespread.

I also just watched the final date. I'm dying.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:37:14 24/10/2015 by Bifrost
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#27 Posted: 22:55:37 24/10/2015
this game is art
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
#28 Posted: 00:27:07 25/10/2015
Lol im still on my first playthrough, although I got spoiled with some stuff through tumblr because I didnt know about the game until late, so Im not really playing it blind unfortunately. Im doing a neutral run currently, although its more the pacifist side.
I'm thinking about whether to do a neutral no mercy run after this, like be dark but not full on genocide, or go straight to pacifist. I just want to know if the game is a better experience if one of your playthroughs is murderous.
---
#29 Posted: 00:33:29 25/10/2015
It actually depends on who you kill. Most of the neutral endings are pretty depressing though,except maybe the one where you hack yourself to the end.

Sans doesn't get what just happened and decides to just insult you for hacking instead.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:33:46 25/10/2015 by Bifrost
#30 Posted: 01:59:23 25/10/2015
I was thinking of killing every boss except for Papyrus since I doubt I will be able to kill him. xD

And it also means that Sans will still appear throughout the game. I heard that if you kill papyrus he doesnt appear until the end and calls you a dirty brother killer. D:
---
#31 Posted: 02:09:19 25/10/2015
That'd ending is still pretty sad.Iirc

He is elected king of the monsters and Sans has to do all the work for him. Though life in the underground has improved, Papyrus can't wrap his head around having all his friends dead and insists they're on vacation.
---
#32 Posted: 04:45:19 25/10/2015
I got the neutral ending and spared Flowey. Toriel returned as queen, Papyrus and Undyne lost their jobs, and Undyne is living with Sans and Papyrus. She blames me for the king's disappearance and wants to kill me still.

I'm doing a pacifist run now! Just went on a date (wait did i say that) w Sans at Grillby's
#33 Posted: 06:31:27 25/10/2015
I'm in the middle of Hot Land

ALPHYS IS LEGIT ME I SWEAR TO GOD

The only things we don't have in common is that I'm straight and not fond of science.

@darby: It's ok I thought of it as a date too.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 06:33:51 25/10/2015 by DarkCynder_543
KnightArtorias Emerald Sparx Gems: 3354
#34 Posted: 09:48:30 25/10/2015
A: Alphys is my waifu.

B: THIS F'ING GAME NEEDS A MOVIE! Screw the FNAF movie, this game NEEDS one.

C: Never before has a game's characters been so memorable that I was legit heartbroken when the game ended (even though I got the pacifist end). Also, the fact that I can remember every single one of the NPCs in this game is impressive, that's how unique and memorable the characters were.

D: I can't do a No Mercy route, I can't make myself do it...

E: As Mettaton goes full David Bowie, allow me to link you all to this wonderful gem:

F: UNDERTALE has one of the greatest soundtracks I've ever heard, I swear...easily the best Indie game I've ever played, period.

TEM: H0i!!!!!!!!iM tEM!wll pAY fer tEM clolege!?!? teN tEM g0n g0 vatcaion n sAtERn vIlEAGE! g0N b fREnz wIt MR SAtern.

Asriel, Toriel, and Alphys are my favorite characters, in the entire game.

~Toriel is just...GOATMOM (especially awesome if you get the Pacifist Ending and choose to stay with her)
~Alphys is so damn cute
~I want Asriel to be my best friend ;-;...minus the evil Flowey business.
---
"Caim? Caim...the one who calls to me...I cannot see. Where are you?"
~Angelus (Drakengard 2)
(Angelus x Caim OTP)
Edited 7 times - Last edited at 10:06:44 25/10/2015 by KnightArtorias
#35 Posted: 11:12:08 25/10/2015
I'm up to Asgore. But I have an issue that I've run out of health items and only have the Butterscotch pie left (I saved it because I heard that if you save it until Asgore something special happens). But after I won against Mettaton the exit closed so I couldn't go back. I need more health though (there isn't any in my storage ether). :\

My favourites are Sans, Papyrus, Undyne, Alphys in that order.

EDIT: What I love about the game is that all the monsters are lovable and have some personality, unlike a lot of RPGS. And also doing other stuff in order to spare them is actually funner than just trying to get their health down, so even though I did a neutral run I still only ended up killing two or three monsters.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:32:06 25/10/2015 by DarkCynder_543
#36 Posted: 11:58:05 25/10/2015
For Asgore, Glamburgers and Starfait are your friends. MTT Hotel is probably the closest shop and Toby gives you a TON of shortcuts to that point. Just take all the elevators and then retrace your steps.

Well, in this game the monsters are real characters,not random animals that will try to maul you just because you looked funny at their random encounter. Sure, they'll attempt to use magic on you,but it's implied they're using the magic attacks for fun and have no idea it hurts you(Greater Dog comes to mind) in Neutral and Pacifist.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 12:00:14 25/10/2015 by Bifrost
AJAwesome Platinum Sparx Gems: 6281
#37 Posted: 19:09:03 25/10/2015
I did this... Why did I make these? WHAT IS LIFEEEE?!

---
I'm a girl. My name is Reese. :3
#38 Posted: 20:18:39 25/10/2015
I'm honestly surprised that big Youtubers (like Mark, Jack, Pewds, etc.) haven't played this game yet. Especially since it has heavy OFF and EarthBound vibes.
---
~Angelus (Drakengard 2)
(Angelus x Caim OTP)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:19:03 25/10/2015 by KnightArtorias
#39 Posted: 20:25:11 25/10/2015
Quote: Bifrost
For Asgore, Glamburgers and Starfait are your friends.

Why not fill the inventory with Bisicles and wear a Burnt Pan during the fight. You'll have 14 items (or 16 without Butterscotch pie) that will heal you 15 HP each.
#40 Posted: 20:28:05 25/10/2015
Quote: KnightArtorias
I'm honestly surprised that big Youtubers (like Mark, Jack, Pewds, etc.) haven't played this game yet. Especially since it has heavy OFF and EarthBound vibes.

It's pretty strange,but considering the reactions Best Friends Zaibatsu and some other got... Maybe it's for the better. We don't get a grown spurt in the fandom no one can handle,they don't have a gigantic dislike bar/flamewar for killing Toriel(is this even a spoiler at this point? Considering you're rigged to crit her, anyone playing blind will find this out the hard way).

I've seen Millbee from Mindcrack also plays this, but it was a quick look and he had zero attachment to the game, just killing and sparing occasionally. Quite a shame since he'd probably be amazing to watch just for the reactions.

Quote: LTU Spyro
Quote: Bifrost
For Asgore, Glamburgers and Starfait are your friends.

Why not fill the inventory with Bisicles and wear a Burnt Pan during the fight. You'll have 14 items (or 16 without Butterscotch pie) that will heal you 15 HP each.

Dunno if anyone has the patience to backtrack that far, unless Bratty and Catty sell it. I spaced out whenever the streams were in shops so I only remember Burgerpants for the hilarious...? dialogue.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:29:41 25/10/2015 by Bifrost
#41 Posted: 20:36:33 25/10/2015
It really takes under 10 minutes to backtrack to Snowdin and back to where you were. They're lifesavers for me during non-genocide runs.
#42 Posted: 00:12:11 26/10/2015
Allright, eventually someone will bring it up. What are your headcanons for their voices?
No easy way of linking right now, but I can't help but read all of Sans' lines with Vinny from Vinesauce's voice. Ironically I think Joel from the same place makes him sound deeper, but the snark and varying tones would be just right.
Undyne is Christina Vee on my head, specifically how she voices Razmi in the Indivisible prototype. Not as disintered of course, but raspy and a bit high pitched match her SFX.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:33:18 26/10/2015 by Bifrost
#43 Posted: 07:59:27 26/10/2015
Just defeated:

Flowey. I thought my game crashed after he killed Asgore and I was freaking out that I would have to fight Asgore again. xD
That battle was ****ing insane though. I died the most in this fight.

Also Asgore getting killed anyway after I spared him was terrible. I really like him. ;__;

And now Flowey is telling me to a Pacifist run and prove to him I that I can go through the game without killing anybody. Whelp it looks like I won't be doing a no mercy route any time soon.

Just curious, what happens if you still kill after Flowey tells you to do a pacifist run?
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 08:28:59 26/10/2015 by DarkCynder_543
#44 Posted: 09:56:08 26/10/2015
I don't think there's a dialogue change after the credits on neutral if you don't change requirements for pacifist, though no idea if it changes if you kill the boss...
But if you go back there as incomplete pacifist or neutral again, Flowey lets you go because he knows the plan won't work.
If you need a reminder, you need to avoid the fight button like the plague for Undyne's date, and for the true pacifist date you need to use a pacifist save and go back to Snowdin if you dated Undyne already.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:58:16 26/10/2015 by Bifrost
#45 Posted: 11:32:41 26/10/2015
Ok thanks for that! :)

Quote: KnightArtorias

tbh I'm just satisfied that GameGrumps are playing it. They're doing a great walkthrough and are really into the game, and I love their voice overs for Sans, Papyrus and Onionsan. Also the fanbase seems to always get angry with Youtubers who aren't doing a Pacifist route when they're going in blind, like what happened with Cry (he even stated that because of all the comments telling him 'NO NO DON'T KILL THEM DO A PACIFIST ROUTE!!!' he was receiving for doing a Neutral run, he was tempted to kill more out of spite).

Although I am a bit sad that popular Youtubers aren't playing it since it would have given the game a lot more publicity. I would have loved to have seen Pewd's reaction to certain parts of the game and how he would have behaved with the whole fight and spare thing, considering his sense of humor. Although the game has only came out about a month ago, so give them time. They're probably currently busy with other games.
---
#46 Posted: 13:51:22 26/10/2015
RIP my sides.
---
#47 Posted: 20:03:19 26/10/2015
Just...this...I found this on one of the Dark Souls pages I follow on Facebook...I laughed so hard.

[User Posted Image]
---
~Angelus (Drakengard 2)
(Angelus x Caim OTP)
#48 Posted: 03:33:53 27/10/2015
just gonna drop this here:

I swear this fandom is becoming the new Homestuck fandom (as it was back in 2010-2012) with all it's crazy contributions, and i'm loving it. I also love how the game itself has the soul of Homestuck, which the comic lost after the masterpause and was slowly losing before that, and the fanbase's contributions is similar too. I was always upset about missing out on the Homestuck's fanbase as it was when it was popular, so it seems like I may actually experience it for real through a different form of media.

I'm happy for Toby that his game became a huge success and has became the second highest rated game on Steam. I hope this means that Toby will make more Undertale related stuff since there's a lot of stuff from the game that can be expanded on, like the timelines. My only complaint is that I missed out on the kickstarter, and I wish I heard about the game in 2013 so I could have contributed.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 03:44:07 27/10/2015 by DarkCynder_543
#49 Posted: 07:05:20 27/10/2015
I'm still waiting for news of an UNDERTALE film...
---
~Angelus (Drakengard 2)
(Angelus x Caim OTP)
Page 1 of 13 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me