Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > Discussion: Is Skylanders too Kid-Oriented or Not?
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3
Discussion: Is Skylanders too Kid-Oriented or Not? [CLOSED]
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#51 Posted: 00:33:24 31/10/2015
Quote: Badwolfmichael
Quote: KeybasHedKey
Quote: defpally

No, it doesn't. It really doesn't. I get so sick of people that want kid stuff to grow up with them and become dark and broody. When you actually grow up you stop worrying about what other people think about your entertainment. It's just a phase (that for some people unfortunately lasts past teenage years) where they want everything dark. Learn to enjoy things for what they are and stop trying to change them.

Tell me in 4 years that Skylanders existed...someone cares for it? That is not kids.

What.

The adult part of the fanbase is always complaining of this and that. Like they don't care.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#52 Posted: 00:42:08 31/10/2015
Keybash, Skylanders will never go that dark the way you want it to be. Considering that this franchise is for Everyone (both kids AND adults), death and other dark themes won't be the answer to fans complaining about the series. Heck they'll keep complaining about the series regardless. You like having very dark T-rated death in Skylanders, that's fine. But we know it's not actually going to happen in the actual series except in fan works.

You want death and other adult themes in Skylanders? Read fanfiction for that or write a dark story about Skylanders yourself.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#53 Posted: 04:39:54 03/11/2015
Quote: Aura24
Keybash, Skylanders will never go that dark the way you want it to be. Considering that this franchise is for Everyone (both kids AND adults), death and other dark themes won't be the answer to fans complaining about the series. Heck they'll keep complaining about the series regardless. You like having very dark T-rated death in Skylanders, that's fine. But we know it's not actually going to happen in the actual series except in fan works.

You want death and other adult themes in Skylanders? Read fanfiction for that or write a dark story about Skylanders yourself.

Seriously. People in the Skylanders Community need to chill out, some kids movies has done deaths that they don't look that kid friendly. And no, i'm not going to write it, i want the writers instend to do it.
#54 Posted: 05:09:15 03/11/2015

Seriously. People in the Skylanders Community need to chill out, some kids movies has done deaths that they don't look that kid friendly. And no, i'm not going to write it, i want the writers instend to do it.

They won't add in the kind of dark/gory deaths you want, that's for sure. You're too focused on demanding the writers to do what YOU want and you are failing to see what kind of reactions and consequences will follow if they happen to do it. But we're just going around in circles arguing over stuff Skylanders won't have (dark death, gore, etc.), since you're not even giving this a second thought. This is Skylanders, not Kingdom Hearts.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 05:18:35 03/11/2015 by Aura24
#55 Posted: 19:23:31 03/11/2015

They won't add in the kind of dark/gory deaths you want, that's for sure. You're too focused on demanding the writers to do what YOU want and you are failing to see what kind of reactions and consequences will follow if they happen to do it. But we're just going around in circles arguing over stuff Skylanders won't have (dark death, gore, etc.), since you're not even giving this a second thought. This is Skylanders, not Kingdom Hearts.

Oh come on if Kingdom Hearts,Pokémon,etc. Can do it, why not Skylanders can't?

Adding Darker story will make less childish.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:24:38 03/11/2015 by KeybasHedKey
#56 Posted: 19:29:54 03/11/2015
And backfire horribly if you don't think it through enough. But whatever, you're too intent on wanting (and demanding) a dark, death-filled Skylanders game to even listen to reason anymore.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:36:05 03/11/2015 by Aura24
#57 Posted: 19:50:53 03/11/2015
Really i'm getting sick of this fandom...
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9930
#58 Posted: 19:56:40 03/11/2015
I feel like making a chart out of how many ways the argument escalated into 'no one can understand' just in this topic. From selifsh to projecting to just plain nonsensical. But I've got better things to do than to be a jerk, and this has gone way out of the topic's matter that Crash10 wanted to discuss,guys.

Dunno if it's time to close or is there still a way to drop this and go back to the main points.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:02:56 03/11/2015 by Bifrost
#59 Posted: 20:00:00 03/11/2015
The fandom doesn't look they want to defend the series from being childish.

For many the story is too childish...
#60 Posted: 20:06:02 03/11/2015

Of course it's childish, Skylanders is a game for children, teens AND adults. Everyone.

Not many users want a death-filled Skylanders game just so you can fulfill your desire for one. I know for a fact that the devs and comic writers won't go that graphic. You can call the writers "cowards" all you want for not doing what you demanded and get tired of us for not agreeing with you, it's not going to change anything the light-hearted, kid-friendly dark story Skylanders always had.

But yes, this topic has run its course. Until another one like this is made in the future.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:07:10 03/11/2015 by Aura24
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#61 Posted: 20:10:17 03/11/2015

People have opinions.
And?

You're just saying what you want.
The series is still very young, and it's just picking up even more in terms of story-wise.
Does this all really matter to the point of an argument? You're saying what you expect from the writers, and what you expect from the fandom. We get it. You want a gory death. Other companies have done it, that doesn't mean Skylanders won't do it, nor does it mean they will do it.
TTD Hunter Gems: 6169
#62 Posted: 20:11:25 03/11/2015
I honestly wouldn't like a darker tone, one of the reasons why I actually enjoy the game is that it's a break from all of the dark and gritty games that I play. It's refreshing to get something that doesn't take its self too seriously, I genuinely enjoy every minute of it. I wouldn't mind a darker orientated comic but it would kind of ruin the brand's reputation as a family friendly experience.
#63 Posted: 20:15:30 03/11/2015
Quote: TTD
I honestly wouldn't like a darker tone, one of the reasons why I actually enjoy the game is that it's a break from all of the dark and gritty games that I play. It's refreshing to get something that doesn't take its self too seriously, I genuinely enjoy every minute of it. I wouldn't mind a darker orientated comic but it would kind of ruin the brand's reputation as a family friendly experience.

I'd love for all the games to have the same tone as SuperChargers, not as childish as SSF, but similar to SSC. I like VV's style the most, and I'd love to see Skylanders look like a Dreamworks or Disney animation, like VV's design style.
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#64 Posted: 21:17:34 03/11/2015 | Topic Creator
Looks like things have gone wild here. Wonder if it's my fault to start this discussion...

But again: Skylanders is not childish because of the story. Games like the main Mario games (for example) are popular between adults and kids alike and don't have much of a story. It's the gameplay itself that makes everyone play.

Some people are confused. I don't want a dark story for Skylanders. I like to have a COMPLEX story for Skylanders. And the game doesn't exactly need that. Ok, Skylanders needs a more complex story, but it doesn't mean that the story needs to be dark.
---
Bruh
#65 Posted: 21:37:12 03/11/2015
It's not your fault,Crash10, it's not the first time this kind of discussion has devolved into 'different outlook on the game=unacceptable' and won't be the last I'm sure. And won't stop on just Skylanders judging by some other posts.
---
#66 Posted: 21:51:28 03/11/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
It's not your fault,Crash10, it's not the first time this kind of discussion has devolved into 'different outlook on the game=unacceptable' and won't be the last I'm sure. And won't stop on just Skylanders judging by some other posts.

Thanks. It's ok to have opinions, but I can't accept when someone thinks that your opinion is the true of the world and everyone should agree. Don't talking about anyone here, but...
---
Bruh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:53:12 03/11/2015 by Crash10
#67 Posted: 23:17:15 03/11/2015
Don't you want to raise the popluarity of the series more then ever?

It needs changes.

It needs to look less childish.
#68 Posted: 23:22:51 03/11/2015

It needs changes.

Uhh, It's doing fine as it is.

What makes you think you know the secret to making Skylanders even more popular? I doubt having a gory death, or a darker story will automatically bring older/adult audiences to a traditionally kid-oriented game, much less keep the extremely young fans it already has.
#69 Posted: 23:29:50 03/11/2015 | Topic Creator

It needs changes.

SOME things need to be less childish, but a dark/violent story is not the right way. As I already said many times, the MARKETING of the game needs to appeal more to adults, but the game/story itself is evolving fine. Sure, they can make some little changes to appeal more to adults, but it doesn't mean that they need to forget the children too, that is a big point of the money.
---
Bruh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:30:24 03/11/2015 by Crash10
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#70 Posted: 04:01:12 04/11/2015

It needs changes.

Making it darker will not improve the popularity. You aren't going to draw the Call of duty crowd into buying figures for the game, but you WILL drive the parents away. I play this game with my sons, make it darker so I can't play it with my 6 year old and I'm done with it. So are many, many others.

All so a few "fans" can have a game they like not embarrass them when friends see they play it. Kid, when you grow up you stop caring what people think about the age level of your hobbies. No amount of blood splatters or character killing is ever going to make it "cool" with the Bro gamer crowd. Either like it for what it is or go buy a game that will satisfy your lust for "darkness".
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#71 Posted: 04:07:42 04/11/2015

It needs changes.

Well, when you become president of Activision, you can make this changes.
---
Dead
#72 Posted: 06:24:09 04/11/2015
Oh really how people hate me...Beacuse of i want a darker story.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:24:41 04/11/2015 by KeybasHedKey
#73 Posted: 07:03:35 04/11/2015
We do not hate you, Keybash.

From what I've gathered for a while, whenever people disagree with you, you keep making the assumption that users "hate" you. That is NOT the case here.
---
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#74 Posted: 15:49:32 04/11/2015
Oh really how people hate me...Beacuse of i want a darker story.

I don't hate you, I just think your idea is dumb. There is a difference. Just curious, how old are you? You don't seem to have a grasp of the difference here, and your desire to "go darker" sounds like a teenager that wants to play the game, but is afraid of what your friends will say.

Here is a clue, no matter how "dark" you make it, a TOYS to life game is not going to be accepted by that crowd. Particularly in high school, kids are consumed with appearing like adults, and having adult hobbies, but actual adults do the things they enjoy. Life is too short to spend doing things other people think you should enjoy.

I'm older, married with two sons, so I could honestly care less what others think. I don't go advertising it around work or anything, but I don't hide it. If my friends ask about my hobbies, this is definitely one of them that I enjoy with my sons. My wife doesn't really get it, and has her fun with me, but she has her own set of hobbies I don't get either - and we share many hobbies as well. I've stood outside a store many times for her for something she wanted, like for those Target designer items that are hot, so when I go to TRU before open for a new release she understands.
#75 Posted: 17:51:02 04/11/2015
Keybash has some form of mental condition.

And guys, even if you try and reason with her, she will still think death and other dark themes will stop "fans from complaining" and get Skylanders to be darker the way she wants. We're talking to a brick wall at this point.
---
DM235 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1678
#76 Posted: 21:21:47 04/11/2015
Apparently, Skylanders SuperChargers is only for people under 50. Who knew?

Quote:
Product Description
Safety Warnings:CHOKING HAZARD - This is not meant for adults greater than 50

This warning is from Toys'r'us for the iPad version.

http://www.toysrus.com/buy/gam...-87589-65538486
#77 Posted: 21:30:27 04/11/2015 | Topic Creator
Probably a error, but it's strange. Maybe olders can have a heart attack because of the high action and high octane combat.
---
Bruh
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#78 Posted: 14:17:06 07/11/2015
Quote:
Product Description
Safety Warnings:CHOKING HAZARD - This is not meant for adults greater than 50

Oh it makes perfect sense . Some adults greater then 50 dont have any teeth so they cannot chew the Skylander properly.
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
#79 Posted: 09:07:04 13/11/2015
This is something that you should know that "gamers" say that kids only play Minecraft and Skylanders...

It doesn't annoyes you?

This is why Skylanders needs a change...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:07:53 13/11/2015 by KeybasHedKey
#80 Posted: 09:25:54 13/11/2015
*sigh* this whole unreasonable "Skylanders should/should not have the death/gore/dark themes that I want" will never end...
---
#81 Posted: 09:45:32 13/11/2015
This is something that you should know that "gamers" say that kids only play Minecraft and Skylanders...

It doesn't annoyes you?

This is why Skylanders needs a change...

Who cares? If you do, you're making the problem continue. Here's what really annoys me - someone trying to rally other people to be outraged at something that no one should care about.
---
#82 Posted: 09:49:32 13/11/2015
Really the Gaming community needs to Shut up about Skylanders...

When a new spin off of a familiar series appears...People constantly bashes it beacuse it looks so "childish"...It gets annoying.
#83 Posted: 09:51:07 13/11/2015
It doesn't annoy me whatsoever. The target audience is kids, that's the facts. It's just developed with older gamers in mind (with the inclusion of nightmare mode etc). I play a variety of games, I can switch from playing Assassin's Creed to playing Skylanders in the matter of minutes. I don't care about the target audience, I care about how fun it is. The fact that skylanders is associated with kids is not a bad thing, it means that it's successful - if people are saying kids only play skylanders, that's fine, that should be an indicator to how widespread it is and how the target audience is buying the game. I think that the charm of skylanders is the goofy cutscenes and the childish humour - it really sets it apart from other games and that's one of the reasons that I actually still play the game.
#84 Posted: 09:51:40 13/11/2015

When a new spin off of a familiar series appears...People constantly bashes it beacuse it looks so "childish"...It gets annoying.

Are you even listening/reading?
No, you aren't, and it's why you're making such a big deal about nothing. Haters gonna hate. White knights gonna knight. People in the middle are... Gosh, I can't find a verb for this. Now if you could drop this subject instead of eventually forcing a mod to close the topic, everyone including you wouldn't get this heated and stressed.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:52:45 13/11/2015 by Bifrost
#85 Posted: 09:52:46 13/11/2015
Read the comments on YouTube videos people think Skylanders is some sort of a BAD THING.
#86 Posted: 09:53:40 13/11/2015
Please stop repeating on and on about this. You're literally ignoring all of our posts and just repeating your argument like one day we'll magically understand. That's rude.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:54:14 13/11/2015 by Bifrost
#87 Posted: 09:55:00 13/11/2015

Read the comments on YouTube videos people think Skylanders is some sort of a BAD THING.

You shouldn't let all of that bother you so much. Death/gore/dark themes aren't the answer to stop people from complaining.

But why am I repeating myself again? You can't or don't understand, even when other users including myself know for a fact that Skylanders will never be as dark as you want it to be. Even if you call the comic writers cowards for not doing what you want them to do, it's not going to change anything.

At this very moment, we are really just talking to a brick wall here.
---
#88 Posted: 09:56:00 13/11/2015
Yes, i read them you just anwser earlier then me...

I just want people to appreciate Skylanders more and not treated it as trash.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:58:11 13/11/2015 by KeybasHedKey
#89 Posted: 09:59:14 13/11/2015
I wish that was the case but unfortunately it's not gonna happen - even if the next game is the best game ever made, there will still be haters. It's not only the fact that it is kid orientated but also the fact that it is a toys to life game as many people are against this type of business plan. No matter how hard you try, it will not be appreciated as much as you are hoping. On the other hand, in 10 years or so when the kids today are grown up, yeah it may be greatly appreciated because they grew up with the game.
#90 Posted: 10:01:25 13/11/2015
I wish that was the case but unfortunately it's not gonna happen - even if the next game is the best game ever made, there will still be haters. It's not only the fact that it is kid orientated but also the fact that it is a toys to life game as many people are against this type of business plan. No matter how hard you try, it will not be appreciated as much as you are hoping. On the other hand, in 10 years or so when the kids today are grown up, yeah it may be greatly appreciated because they grew up with the game.

Really...

Come on even the most weird game got a big fanbase in just a few weeks and people seem to love it. Why not do it with Skylanders?
#91 Posted: 10:04:37 13/11/2015

Really...

Come on even the most weird game got a big fanbase in just a few weeks and people seem to love it. Why not do it with Skylanders?

Again, if you want dark themes so badly, write your own dark Skylanders story. Or better yet, draw your own dark comic, or develop your own dark fan Skylanders game, no excuses. You can't force the comic writers to do what YOU WANT that YOU THINK will be best for the franchise, when all it will do is make things worse.
---
#92 Posted: 21:56:47 13/11/2015

Really...

Again, if you want dark themes so badly, write your own dark Skylanders story. Or better yet, draw your own dark comic, or develop your own dark fan Skylanders game, no excuses. You can't force the comic writers to do what YOU WANT that YOU THINK will be best for the franchise, when all it will do is make things worse.

I just want people to shut up about hating on Skylanders. So what is the best thing to do? That is not adding "Dark" Themes?
#93 Posted: 22:04:57 13/11/2015
I'll say, 'not caring so much about the complaints', and you'll say 'but people are complaining that skylanders is childish', and I'll say 'but they're not going to play it even if it isn't' and you'll say 'but I'm tired of people complaining'.

There,saved at least 4 posts of exchange.
---
#94 Posted: 22:28:10 13/11/2015
Really, this fandom is driving crazy. They don't even think about defending the series...
#95 Posted: 22:31:34 13/11/2015
I'm grown up enough to know better than to yell at strangers in the internet.
---
#96 Posted: 22:32:11 13/11/2015
Really, this fandom is driving crazy. They don't even think about defending the series...

And yet here you are, still here. :3

How about we let you have the last word? So this topic can be relieved of its never-ending back-and-forth argument?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:52:01 13/11/2015 by Aura24
#97 Posted: 22:39:47 13/11/2015
I didren't came here just to see how whiny fanbase is turning over the years...

The Spyro and Skylanders fandoms are turning into horrible fanbases.
#98 Posted: 22:42:42 13/11/2015
Quote: Bifrost
I'm grown up enough to know better than to yell at strangers in the internet.

I stand by my point.
---
#99 Posted: 22:52:34 13/11/2015
Really you all making me sick...you think you are better then me...

And yes a dark story will work the end.
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me