Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > Discussion: Is Skylanders too Kid-Oriented or Not?
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3
Discussion: Is Skylanders too Kid-Oriented or Not? [CLOSED]
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#1 Posted: 01:12:14 21/10/2015 | Topic Creator
I know that I'm touching a little sensible topic, but I think that we should discuss. It's by the healthy discussion that we solve problems, right? also, I think that this is a good topic for discussion, but, with respect, right?

Now, here's the question: Is Skylanders too kid-oriented? You think that this is good or bad? There's solutions?

My opinion starts here:

No and yes. Skylanders is not kid-oriented. It's a game for everyone. Kids, teens, adults... Anyone can play it and like it. The toys don't make much difference in this. But, what about other questions, like the advertising and everything? I know that these things don't change the game quality by any mean, but it's probably the reason why Skylanders is seen as a kid-only game.

Look: games like Mario are made for everyone, just like Skylanders, but they have a different form of advertising and have a appeal to more types of players (if you count things like the age of the game). They do not say "perfect for kids", they say "perfect for everyone". Need more examples? Let's go straight to the point: Toys to Life.

Amiibo is advertised in a form that says that everyone can use it and like it, and I don't fell this from Skylanders. Same with Disney Infinity and Lego Dimensions. Yes, they have more attractive characters for older players, but the popularity of figures such as the Splatoon Amiibo and the Star Wars VII figures proves that it's not just that. I don't know if this is making sense, but I think that you're understanding.

So, recapturing: Skylanders is a game for everyone, for all ages and gaming experiences, but things like the marketing are too... kid-oriented. Like, this things do not change that much in game quality (just some things, like the fart joke of Flynn in SuperChargers), but the series will become bigger, and possibly, better, if they make a more "for everyone" advertising, and I feeling that they're already doing this. You see that SuperChargers evolved in these question, and a good bunch of new players, mainly new older players, started in the series. Yes, Bowser and Donkey Kong helped too, but it's not just that. If they continue to evolve like that, I think that the series will be even better.

Just remember: I'm not saying that Skylanders is just for kids actually, and any adult likes it. People that tried the game know that it's good for all ages. Also, I'm not saying that Skylanders needs to be an adult game. Skylanders is a game for everyone, but it shows itself in a form that makes just kids interested. Like I said, Skylanders can show itself in a form that says that it's for a kid, a casual player, a hardcore player, a old player... This will not change that much for us players, but it will change things for Activision. The series will become more popular than it already is, and it will be more lucrative.

but, I think that we should discuss this. Maybe I don't see something that can change my opinion. So, say what you think. Every vision is important for me, and the others.
---
Bruh
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#2 Posted: 01:33:22 21/10/2015
Quote: Crash10
I know that I'm touching a little sensible topic, but I think that we should discuss. It's by the healthy discussion that we solve problems, right? also, I think that this is a good topic for discussion, but, with respect, right?

Now, here's the question: Is Skylanders too kid-oriented? You think that this is good or bad? There's solutions?

My opinion starts here:

No and yes. Skylanders is not kid-oriented. It's a game for everyone. Kids, teens, adults... Anyone can play it and like it. The toys don't make much difference in this. But, what about other questions, like the advertising and everything? I know that these things don't change the game quality by any mean, but it's probably the reason why Skylanders is seen as a kid-only game.

Look: games like Mario are made for everyone, just like Skylanders, but they have a different form of advertising and have a appeal to more types of players (if you count things like the age of the game). They do not say "perfect for kids", they say "perfect for everyone". Need more examples? Let's go straight to the point: Toys to Life.

Amiibo is advertised in a form that says that everyone can use it and like it, and I don't fell this from Skylanders. Same with Disney Infinity and Lego Dimensions. Yes, they have more attractive characters for older players, but the popularity of figures such as the Splatoon Amiibo and the Star Wars VII figures proves that it's not just that. I don't know if this is making sense, but I think that you're understanding.

So, recapturing: Skylanders is a game for everyone, for all ages and gaming experiences, but things like the marketing are too... kid-oriented. Like, this things do not change that much in game quality (just some things, like the fart joke of Flynn in SuperChargers), but the series will become bigger, and possibly, better, if they make a more "for everyone" advertising, and I feeling that they're already doing this. You see that SuperChargers evolved in these question, and a good bunch of new players, mainly new older players, started in the series. Yes, Bowser and Donkey Kong helped too, but it's not just that. If they continue to evolve like that, I think that the series will be even better.

Just remember: I'm not saying that Skylanders is just for kids actually, and any adult likes it. People that tried the game know that it's good for all ages. Also, I'm not saying that Skylanders needs to be an adult game. Skylanders is a game for everyone, but it shows itself in a form that makes just kids interested. Like I said, Skylanders can show itself in a form that says that it's for a kid, a casual player, a hardcore player, a old player... This will not change that much for us players, but it will change things for Activision. The series will become more popular than it already is, and it will be more lucrative.

but, I think that we should discuss this. Maybe I don't see something that can change my opinion. So, say what you think. Every vision is important for me, and the others.

You just had both sides of the discussion pretty comprehensively with yourself!
#3 Posted: 01:59:04 21/10/2015 | Topic Creator
Thanks mastermc54. I like to see both sides of everything, so I can see what's the good and bad things of each one. Now show your opinion about this.
---
Bruh
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#4 Posted: 02:36:32 21/10/2015
What is your definition of TOO kid-oriented (very subjective)??? It's most definitely a kid's game geared towards all age groups willing to accept a game that won't challenge them as a more complex game would. It lacks the difficulty and analytical thinking, dexterity, and skills required in games classified as "adult." However, to each their own...open-mindedness is necessary in all gaming. I've encountered many jerks in Amiibo forums that think Skylanders is too kiddy and that they are too cool to even mention Skylanders...now that's childish behavior. In the end, you choose the video games you enjoy and what makes you happy regardless of what others think...right? Everybody has their own reasons for playing...we have had forum discussions on the topic of how and why people got into Skylanders.
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#5 Posted: 02:39:09 21/10/2015
In other words it's for "Everyone".
#6 Posted: 02:49:41 21/10/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: mastermc54
What is your definition of TOO kid-oriented (very subjective)??? It's most definitely a kid's game geared towards all age groups willing to accept a game that won't challenge them as a more complex game would. It lacks the difficulty and analytical thinking, dexterity, and skills required in games classified as "adult." However, to each their own...open-mindedness is necessary in all gaming. I've encountered many jerks in Amiibo forums that think Skylanders is too kiddy and that they are too cool to even mention Skylanders...now that's childish behavior. In the end, you choose the video games you enjoy and what makes you happy regardless of what others think...right? Everybody has their own reasons for playing...we have had forum discussions on the topic of how and why people got into Skylanders.

What I'm saying with kid-oriented is something that doesn't give anything good to more... I do not say adult, but experienced and older players. Example: There's a educative child cartoon. What people that are not the target watchers will enjoy? I'm not saying that Skylanders is like that, but it shows itself as a game that will not satisfy players with more maturity.

Yes, anyone can like everything that they like regardless of anything. But, as you know, there are various players that can be attracted by Skylanders if they decide to make some type of approach to more types of people. People who think things like the people you say are the real kids of the history.

Yes, Skylanders is not a childish game. The MARKETING of the game that is. It's simple to make something that attract both new/young players and older, more mature players. Things like the difficult levels are a perfect example of this. People who find Spyro's Adventure too easy can try a more hard game in Giants. At the same time, people who like the difficult of the game still can enjoy it.

Quote: KeybasHedKey
In other words it's for "Everyone".

This is what I said before. It's a game for everyone, but it shows itself as a game that cannot entertain more mature people.
---
Bruh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:51:18 21/10/2015 by Crash10
Hawksey128 Blue Sparx Gems: 994
#7 Posted: 04:33:52 21/10/2015
Does it matter? Worrying about who the target audience is shouldn't hinder your opinions TBH. You like it or not, simple as that.
---
I'm going to tell you right now.
BUY smilie
EHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH THIS IS A POINTLESS EDITION TO A SIGNATURE I DUNNO
Dark Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2623
#8 Posted: 06:18:48 21/10/2015
Games are for everyone, unless they are titled learning with shapes
Honestly I don't care what other people say, my day normally goes like this
Friend. Why do u play Skylanders its for babies, it says 6+
Me. WELL GUESS WHAT IM 6+ HOLY NUGGETS
Friend. U need to play stuff like cod
Me. Who the fudge cares anyway
---
Psn-Zydren8cookie, FC 3024-5345-8692
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9930
#9 Posted: 07:43:12 21/10/2015
After Superchargers,definately does justice to the E10+ for Everyone rating. It's not for dumb kids that'll that take anything(even with the occasional scene appealing to them), or too complex to anyone who doesn't get deep into the lore,it's for everyone.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#10 Posted: 08:41:45 21/10/2015
Quote:
You like it or not, simple as that.

I concur with the wise Portal Master
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
#11 Posted: 12:06:37 21/10/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Hawksey128
Does it matter? Worrying about who the target audience is shouldn't hinder your opinions TBH. You like it or not, simple as that.

By myself, I don't matter. But the people who want money care. Like, people like me don't mind how people see the game, but Activision wants even more money, right?

Quote: Bifrost
After Superchargers,definately does justice to the E10+ for Everyone rating. It's not for dumb kids that'll that take anything(even with the occasional scene appealing to them), or too complex to anyone who doesn't get deep into the lore,it's for everyone.

I like the direction SuperChargers is taking. Things like the last trailer show that. If they continue like that, the series will grown in popularity. Various new players entered in Skylanders by SuperChargers, and you see that good part of these new players are more adult.
---
Bruh
#12 Posted: 12:38:48 21/10/2015
You can bet the older fans will be the first to whine if they keep the gimmick the same as a previous year, Drawdler, nowadays even adults expect games to give them the shiny and new periodically. Kids will keep the attention if it's presented differently(good old X franchise IN SPACE!), but with nowadays' consumer attitude, the grown ups will go from "they're running out of ideas" (already a fake concept) to "they should always use new ideas" (argh) at the drop of a hat.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 12:43:05 21/10/2015 by Bifrost
#13 Posted: 12:44:49 21/10/2015
Quote: Drawdler
I still feel like vehicles were way more geared towards the young kids. They have little depth to them and simply don't mesh with the gameplay. But I don't feel like talking about the quality of SC again, everyone knows I hate it. :T

It's not just about SC though, it's the franchise's recent. It has to be shiny, it has to look new, or the reviewers will call it stale, the fans will call it meh, kids will just follow suit.
---
#14 Posted: 13:25:42 21/10/2015 | Topic Creator
I don't feel that the vehicles itself are too kiddy, but they are very simplified in customization side and I feel that they forced the gimmick a little.
---
Bruh
The Bone Chompy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1201
#15 Posted: 00:04:00 22/10/2015
Of course it is.

BUT

Anyone can play it.

Case closed.
---
^This might be sarcasm.
#16 Posted: 04:19:37 24/10/2015
But you know what Skylanders needs?

A Darker Story. That would attract more people into it.
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#17 Posted: 04:30:49 24/10/2015

SSC.

Also, a darker story might putt off some people, but attract some others.
Just as a childish a more childish story will change the audience and attract different people.

Skylanders doesn't need to be "dark", but the comics and SSC are slowly getting more serious.
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#18 Posted: 06:13:20 24/10/2015

SSC has a perfect mix of dark moments and humor.
The Spell Punk Library (should I still put level names in spoilers?) tells the whole backstory of the Darkness and has some pretty epic moments.
#19 Posted: 06:54:03 24/10/2015
Quote: Badwolfmichael

SSC.

Just as a childish a more childish story will change the audience and attract different people.

Skylanders doesn't need to be "dark", but the comics and SSC are slowly getting more serious.

SuperChargers isn't dark enough...
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#20 Posted: 06:57:11 24/10/2015

SSC.

I know what you mean by "dark", and no, I don't think it's needed in a Skylanders game simply just to keep fans from complaining.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Dark Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2623
#21 Posted: 06:58:22 24/10/2015

SSC.

The dark edition? The dark element? The dark variants?
DARKNESS
---
Psn-Zydren8cookie, FC 3024-5345-8692
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:59:29 24/10/2015 by Dark Snap Shot
#22 Posted: 17:50:14 24/10/2015

SSC.

This is Skylanders, go read some fanfiction if you want a darker Skylanders, but Skylanders might get more serious and complex story, but it will never get what you mean "dark". Skylanders is a kids game.
#23 Posted: 20:24:04 24/10/2015
Quote: Aura24

SSC.

I know what you mean by "dark", and no, I don't think it's needed in a Skylanders game simply just to keep fans from complaining.

Come on. Many E10+ rated games have a serious and kinda dark story. Why not Skylanders?
#24 Posted: 20:47:03 24/10/2015
Because so far you want Skylanders to have death or other similar dark tones. Like Badwolf said, read fanfiction for that. Skylanders will never go that graphic. Near death like in comic issue #10, lost a body but came back as a spirit, deactivated but repaired, yes. But flat out killing off characters, including Skylanders when you can't play as them anymore afterwards and tramautizing kids, no.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#25 Posted: 20:48:33 24/10/2015
But I'll guess this discussion will circle around just like the last time where KeybasHedKey won't care if kids will get traumatized,but the others users does,and back and forth until someone has to drop it.

Just paraphrasing what happened when we brought this up in the other board.
---
#26 Posted: 20:55:41 24/10/2015 | Topic Creator
I feeling that creating this topic was not my best idea...

Anyway, Skylanders doesn't need a dark story or deaths to be more mature. Like I said before, the game don't looks kiddy for me, it's just the advertising. Also, I like the way they are doing the story now.
---
Bruh
#27 Posted: 20:55:42 24/10/2015
The comics had a few dark touches, since they were written by the same writer who wrote the story on SSC.

But I'll guess this discussion will circle around just like the last time where KeybasHedKey won't care if kids will get traumatized,but the others users does,and back and forth until someone has to drop it.

Just paraphrasing what happened when we brought this up in the other board.

I am aware.

In my opinion, SSC so far had the darkest storyline since Skylands was on the verge of collapse.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:56:43 24/10/2015 by Aura24
#28 Posted: 21:06:04 24/10/2015

Anyway, Skylanders doesn't need a dark story or deaths to be more mature. Like I said before, the game don't looks kiddy for me, it's just the advertising. Also, I like the way they are doing the story now.

Well of course. Dark touches and undertones keep the older fans interested,it doesn't need to surface; and even if it does,it doesn't have to be edgy and gritty, you'd be surprised at how much comedy you could make of an otherwise horrible situation.
I know it's too early to bring up Undertale, but I'll bring up Undertale. The place is pretty depressing but except for the odd 'hell','damn' and adult joke a kid could play through it and never find out.
---
#29 Posted: 21:23:05 24/10/2015 | Topic Creator

Well of course. Dark touches and undertones keep the older fans interested,it doesn't need to surface; and even if it does,it doesn't have to be edgy and gritty, you'd be surprised at how much comedy you could make of an otherwise horrible situation.
I know it's too early to bring up Undertale, but I'll bring up Undertale. The place is pretty depressing but except for the odd 'hell','damn' and adult joke a kid could play through it and never find out.

Sorry for the question, but, what's exactly Undertale? Sorry, but I can't remember.
Also, I like the "dark humor", of making jokes of bad situations. Homer Simpson showed for me how somewhat fatal happenings to someone can be hilarious.
---
Bruh
#30 Posted: 21:40:52 24/10/2015
Undertale was released last month. Earthbound-esque, crowdfunded, you'll run into fanart of it easily these days.

In non-spoilery terms,the game gives you heavy moral choices, but it knows when you give you silly antics instead and never thrives on being dark,sad and edgy even if the setting is made of it; it only uses them when needed.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:41:11 24/10/2015 by Bifrost
#31 Posted: 21:49:10 24/10/2015 | Topic Creator
Undertale was released last month. Earthbound-esque, crowdfunded, you'll run into fanart of it easily these days.

In non-spoilery terms,the game gives you heavy moral choices, but it knows when you give you silly antics instead and never thrives on being dark,sad and edgy even if the setting is made of it; it only uses them when needed.

When I see that thing about moral choices, I first tough that you're talking about Skylanders... Never mind.
But hey, interesting game, tough I generally don't play RPG-style games (but I love the two Mario & Luigi DS games). So, by your comment in the game's tread at the Forum, you're using a image of one of those twins or something from the game?
---
Bruh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:49:57 24/10/2015 by Crash10
#32 Posted: 22:03:39 24/10/2015
Yes,Papyrus is the best.

But I don't mean much on moral choices,I mean the writing. Even with the darkest parts they never really fall into the trap of being edgy, I thought it was better at conveying despair than a lot of horror games out there, because it used an intense moment instead of a cheap scare. This kind of stuff.
---
#33 Posted: 22:32:06 24/10/2015
Quote: Aura24
Because so far you want Skylanders to have death or other similar dark tones. Like Badwolf said, read fanfiction for that. Skylanders will never go that graphic. Near death like in comic issue #10, lost a body but came back as a spirit, deactivated but repaired, yes. But flat out killing off characters, including Skylanders when you can't play as them anymore afterwards and tramautizing kids, no.

That kind of stuff should be in the actual game, not a fanmade story. How cowards are the writers.
#34 Posted: 22:34:23 24/10/2015
Look, the writers are a lot of things,but I gotta say, you'd be a coward too if you had to write stories for kids. Or you'd be fired on the spot. Really sorry if this sounds harsh.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:34:39 24/10/2015 by Bifrost
#35 Posted: 22:42:14 24/10/2015
One SuperChargers isn't that Dark. Skylands doesn't look in verge of colapse.

Two Other E10+ Games has some kind of a dark story.

Skylanders needs to push there limits. But it seems people only wants to hate on me beacuse I want a Dark story in Skylanders, that could help the series to get more love, but no...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:47:47 24/10/2015 by KeybasHedKey
#36 Posted: 22:48:41 24/10/2015

Other E10+ Games has some kind of a dark story.

Skylanders needs to push there limits. But it seems people only wants to hate on me beacuse I want a Dark story in Skylanders, that could help the series to get more love, but no...

Now here's the problem: you're going on about this because dark and death is what YOU WANT in a Skylanders game, and you're not taking in consideration on what others think nor the pros and cons if Skylanders became as dark as you want it to be. No one here is hating you.
---
#37 Posted: 22:49:05 24/10/2015
We had this conversation before, it'll always end up on people hate/are harsh because they don't agree,I won't even try.
---
#38 Posted: 23:23:54 24/10/2015
Skylanders can have storylines that are dark much like in some scenes in the IDW comics and the story from SSC was that may appeal most adults and kids. Maybe keep the same story tone in upcoming games as well?
---
#39 Posted: 01:31:28 25/10/2015

Two Other E10+ Games has some kind of a dark story.

In some levels, Skylands does look like it's on the verge of collapse. I think SSC did a good job of telling the story, and it told things I didn't even expect. Two Other E10+ Games has some kind of a dark story. Okay? More than two E10+ games have some kind of childish story. Okay. I don't see your point, unless you're saying E10+ games aren't restricted and can have dark stories, but we know that, but why Skylanders doesn't need to be dark, again, you're just saying your opinion and saying how a more serious entry in a video game doesn't meet your expectations. So? No one's hating on you here, we're just correcting you, and when you say things like this you should expect a response. Skylanders is great how it is, it's advertised a little kiddy, but the game is made so that not just kids, but people of all ages can enjoy it. Skylanders don't need to die, no one needs to die to have a darker story, and the way the series is now, despite it's faults, is going in the right direction.

The series isn't too kid-oriented, but it's more kid-oriented than "dark". And that's not a bad thing.
#40 Posted: 02:26:41 25/10/2015
Imagine Malefor's attack on the Skylander Academy in cinematic form, I would literally be on the edge of my seat and take note on how dark and dire that scene would be.
---
The Bone Chompy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1201
#41 Posted: 16:50:36 25/10/2015
Skylanders...dark...kids game...no/yes

That's what I'm seeing.

Pokemon-dark is what I think would satisfy all. Some REALLY WEIRD back stories, but only older players would truly understand and look into them. After all, that's what got Pokemon out of the Kids Game zone.
---
^This might be sarcasm.
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#42 Posted: 12:49:37 29/10/2015
Like the OP said: yes and no. However, I would say 60% yes and 40% no.

Things that feel kid-oriented:

- Constantly getting very basic tutorials

- The dialogue with NPCs

- The difficulty of the game (including nightmare mode)

- The character development is simple. Would be cool to be able to distribute experience points in the different stats at will.

- Story arch

Things for everyone:

- Combat in general

- Arenas

- Overall gameplay (excluding the difficulty): it feels fun at all ages.

- Overall game quality: good grahpics, good animations, good soundtrack and eye candy skills.

- Certain skylanders canon stories.

- Online capabilities.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#43 Posted: 13:23:49 29/10/2015

No, it doesn't. It really doesn't. I get so sick of people that want kid stuff to grow up with them and become dark and broody. When you actually grow up you stop worrying about what other people think about your entertainment. It's just a phase (that for some people unfortunately lasts past teenage years) where they want everything dark. Learn to enjoy things for what they are and stop trying to change them.
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#44 Posted: 21:03:13 29/10/2015
lets just say with the vehicles it didnt become less Kid-Oriented...
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#45 Posted: 23:05:05 30/10/2015
Quote: defpally

No, it doesn't. It really doesn't. I get so sick of people that want kid stuff to grow up with them and become dark and broody. When you actually grow up you stop worrying about what other people think about your entertainment. It's just a phase (that for some people unfortunately lasts past teenage years) where they want everything dark. Learn to enjoy things for what they are and stop trying to change them.

Tell me in 4 years that Skylanders existed...someone cares for it? That is not kids.
#46 Posted: 23:32:16 30/10/2015
Quote: defpally

Tell me in 4 years that Skylanders existed...someone cares for it? That is not kids.

What.
#47 Posted: 00:16:31 31/10/2015
The logic is getting to ridiculous points.

Ask me if Pokémon exists. Guess what it does. It's for kids. People care about it.
---
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me