First | Previous | Page 3 of 4 | Last
1 2 3 4
6/10 from GameInformer
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#101 Posted: 13:24:04 28/09/2015
Quote: samuraituretsky
People are fussing about having to use vehicles in a game centered around vehicles because this game is the 5th in a series of games that had nothing to do with vehicles.

And those of us who are fans of Skylanders but are disappointed by Superchargers are allowed to post our opinions here. No apologies to those who don't care for the bad vibes.

All I really needed to enjoy this game were similar arenas to the last two games, but they're gone, and all the cars and racing makes me not even recognize what Skylanders has become. It's silly.

But don't you guys worry, I will be gone soon. At least until stuff starts getting announced for the next game. Just here now because I'm pissed off that my faith in Skylanders was misplaced when I bought this latest game. Here's to hoping TfB rights the ship next year.

Quote: zookinator
... What would Swap-Force be without the Swap-Force? Or Trap Team without the Villains? We might not choose to have the gimmick, but we respect it, and we still buy the series so that we can try out the next big thing of Skylanders. Sure, some will rate down lower, and some will be the best. No one game can appeal to everybody. Yours now is Superchargers, with the racing mechanic. I like Mario Kart, so I think I myself will like it.

I respect the way you worded your post. And this point is key. This gimmick is the first one that deviates from the core gameplay this much. All other gimmicks were still characters running around using attacks to fight enemies. Minus the Swap Zones, but Swap Zones were skippable (and believe me, I skipped the heck out them all that I could - that stuff was so silly and boring, on par with the stupid cannon-shooting mini game that Skylanders will seemingly never let go of). But you're right, with this new flavor of gimmick, people are either going to love it or hate it, and I hate it. It was a dangerous move to make a gimmick that deviates so much from what made the game popular.

Better innovations would have stayed focused on the same gameplay, such as Traps like last year, more and better arenas, online in arenas and PvP, more open world stuff, level-builders / creative tools, etc. etc. Things that could still stick to the core gameplay once the action starts. Racing can be had in games like Mario Kart. Or Skylanders Racing could have been a separate game from the series release. All in all, I'm just not a fan of what they did this year, but I love the previous four games. I really thought this game would still have things I'd enjoy. If I had known arenas were gone, I wouldn't have bought it. That's partly my bad though... I should have done more research.

@samuraituretsky, its good to finally see more people coming forth and saying they are not happy and are very disappointed in this game. you should definivite not leave because of people here dont accept bad vibes, you have the right to be here even if you dont like the game.... anyway i agree with everything you say, i also hope for a better game with tfb skylanders6.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 13:27:31 28/09/2015 by CountMoneyBone
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#102 Posted: 14:52:14 28/09/2015
Dissent makes the world go around. I've created all sorts of problems here and I'm not going anywhere either. Obviously, doing this civilly is important.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:55:39 28/09/2015 by TakeYourLemons
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#103 Posted: 15:46:11 28/09/2015
See, some people here get it.

You didn't need Swaplanders to beat any levels of Swap Force. So for those who didn't like the gimmick, they could totally skip it.

With Superchargers, all but 2 very short levels made it so you had to drive land vehicles down long paths... that felt the same... to get from point A to B.

I like Mario Kart, but I know that Mario Kart is a racing game. Skylanders has always been a game about exploring, collecting, and leveling Skylanders.

Not with Superchargers. It's about minimal enemies and a huge focus on vehicles, which alienate he hundreds of Skylanders that are out.

Again, the land sections you are forced to drive to get through all but 2 levels were boring. It's my opinion, and I'm not changing it to walk on eggshell for the resident Skylander defense force. Heck, I have every right to gripe based on how much I've spent compared to others on this franchise.

I will buy next years game, but that doesn't mean I can't gripe when any given Skylander game doesn't get it right in my eyes.

I was hoping this game would have as much variety as Swap Force did, but it didn't. Levels relied too much on vehicle gameplay, and less on what made Skylanders fun the past 4 games.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#104 Posted: 16:15:09 28/09/2015
Yeah... I'm still more optimistic about the game and like it, but... Yeah, I'm not gonna act like the problems don't exist.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#105 Posted: 16:25:28 28/09/2015
Quote: GameMaster78
Well I've been watching streams, and I love how the portal is being used to solve puzzles. Another cool thing about Swap Force, was how it used the portal during a particular fight. Outside of the portal in Dimensions being used for puzzles, the games levels last longer than Superchargers did, and there are more puzzle solving elements per level.

14 worlds out of the box and they don't cram a car down your throat.

14 levels for 100 dollars dude.
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
Earth-Dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#106 Posted: 16:43:35 28/09/2015
Quote: mantez
The same reviewer gave DI 3.0 an 8.5. Now this is just my opinion and I have played both, but skylanders game play is much more solid than DI. Also DI has a heap boring repetitive missions.

Both games are good in the own right but if skylanders goes low as a 6.5 disney infinity shouldn't be an 8.5 with all it flaws.

And this is where that guy needs a kick in the groin. He basically chose sides and bashed the competition and is doing it for selfish reasons, if not paid to do it. This is where his objectivity and subjectivity have glaring holes in the review. And normally, game informer is smart enough to not put people who are going to try to twist the fate of the industry with their reviews UNLESS they've been paid to do so.

DI has been a joke from its inception and only has its IPs to hang on. You can't complain about the "lack of content" and "lack of action" when then praising a game that is mostly a super expensive Minecraft. This guy is an absolute tool.
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
#107 Posted: 17:40:21 28/09/2015
Quote: skylandersspyro
Well I've been watching streams, and I love how the portal is being used to solve puzzles. Another cool thing about Swap Force, was how it used the portal during a particular fight. Outside of the portal in Dimensions being used for puzzles, the games levels last longer than Superchargers did, and there are more puzzle solving elements per level.

480 bricks compared to last Lego games that take around 30 hours to 100%, and those games only had around 200-250 bricks. That's longer than any Skylander game outside of Swap Force, and at least Lego Dimensions still keeps the exploring and collecting aspect, which is something Superchargers lost in its development.

This game had the least amount of exploration in it, which is something I love in my Skylamders games. Heck, I even thought that vehicle sections would contain some sort of exploration, but NOPE! Drive from point A to B, or kill enemies in circular areas.

Again, hopefully next year things go better. Adventure Packs return. Exploration returns. Magic Items aren't a cosmetic piece of trash. More variety in gameplay returns. Our Skylanders aren't alienated. Elemental gates return. Collecting items throughout every level returns.

Now hopefully they keep the changing Skylanders paths next game, as well as the ability to increase a Skylanders speed to 35 without the need of a hat. That's the only thing this game did right in my eyes.
---
#108 Posted: 17:45:06 28/09/2015

480 bricks compared to last Lego games that take around 30 hours to 100%, and those games only had around 200-250 bricks. That's longer than any Skylander game outside of Swap Force, and at least Lego Dimensions still keeps the exploring and collecting aspect, which is something Superchargers lost in its development.

This game had the least amount of exploration in it, which is something I love in my Skylamders games. Heck, I even thought that vehicle sections would contain some sort of exploration, but NOPE! Drive from point A to B, or kill enemies in circular areas.

Again, hopefully next year things go better. Adventure Packs return. Exploration returns. Magic Items aren't a cosmetic piece of trash. More variety in gameplay returns. Our Skylanders aren't alienated. Elemental gates return. Collecting items throughout every level returns.

Now hopefully they keep the changing Skylanders paths next game, as well as the ability to increase a Skylanders speed to 35 without the need of a hat. That's the only thing this game did right in my eyes.

If you try to get all of the bricks......Its gonna cost a lot.At least skylanders doesnt cost that much.TFB will most likely bring back that stuff though.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:47:34 28/09/2015 by skylandersspyro
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#109 Posted: 17:59:04 28/09/2015
Quote: mantez
The same reviewer gave DI 3.0 an 8.5. Now this is just my opinion and I have played both, but skylanders game play is much more solid than DI. Also DI has a heap boring repetitive missions.

He also gave Lego Dimensions 8.75.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#110 Posted: 18:04:20 28/09/2015
LEGO Dimensions seems legit(reception has been good for mostly everyone), but yeah,this looks like bias to have the SAME reviewer for all of them who just happens to hate one's gimmick but love the other ones even if one's thought to be worse. Yeah,opinions opinions,but the whole point I was making before this thread became 'is Superchargers good' is that the guy's arguments are bad, regardless of his opinion being right or not. It's like saying Big Rigs is bad because the graphics are poor. Whoo boy,if you think it's just that,you're in for a suprise.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:04:55 28/09/2015 by Bifrost
OimakKamio Yellow Sparx Gems: 1643
#111 Posted: 18:15:31 28/09/2015
Ok here is my point, as an adult, yes i dont really care for this game, in fact out of 5 games this is 4th or 5th best. However, where they did hit is with the younger audience. My son LOVES this game he's 6. He doesnt want campaign he wants to race. He wants to play as some of his old favorites in a car racing Daddy. So for me the game is a 10/10 cause it does exactly what its supposed to. Now as an adult i'd give it maybe a 7.5 maybe, but its not terrible and its not great. its just eh? Ok we have to collect more vehicles, and characters which for me and my son is a lot of fun. But again, if you dont have kids to play with i get it. its not what the others are. Far from it to be fair. But still enjoyable. Remakes of Giants and SSA on X1 and PS4 would be Awesome smilie
---
Lioned33 PS4
LORD OIMAK XBOX
#112 Posted: 18:22:42 28/09/2015

Enviable logic. Spend $1500 on a new game that gives the same as two $60 Lego games combined while complaining your 4 games running healing potion finally ran its course.

They had many of the things you just asked for in the game, they just packages it differently (elemental gates, item collection, adventure packs) they're just in different forms or presented differently (racing packs, supercharger gates, vehicle elemental gates, and obviously items are acquired just in different places at different times by different players). This is where you are falsely claiming you want variety, but repeated insist things are exactly the same. You just want more swap force levels, which is fine, but don't state otherwise and then show through your own reasoning that's not what you actually want.

Calling things something slightly different doesn't change what they do. (Supercharger gates still unlock FOOT based side levels)
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
#113 Posted: 18:31:41 28/09/2015
Quote: Bifrost
LEGO Dimensions seems legit(reception has been good for mostly everyone), but yeah,this looks like bias to have the SAME reviewer for all of them who just happens to hate one's gimmick but love the other ones even if one's thought to be worse. Yeah,opinions opinions,but the whole point I was making before this thread became 'is Superchargers good' is that the guy's arguments are bad, regardless of his opinion being right or not. It's like saying Big Rigs is bad because the graphics are poor. Whoo boy,if you think it's just that,you're in for a suprise.

All the streams I watched last night gave me a good picture of how much gameplay is in Dimensions.

The core game is long, and there is a great amount of variety in each world, whether it's the Portal world using portals to solve puzzles, or weeping angels moving in for the kill every time you turn your back from them.

The single player is really lengthy, but it gets better with level packs. Portal level pack gives more Portal levels to solve, while all other level packs give you open worlds based on that world to explore. God bricks to collect and other side things to do.

Not going to help market Dimensions on a Skylanders forum, but it seems this year, Dimensions offers more gameplay for your buck, if online racing isn't your thing (I got Mario Kart for that), and you want to go through levels that doesn't involve needless driving from point A to B.
---
#114 Posted: 18:34:21 28/09/2015

I am personally VERY shocked that two of these levels are SUPER SHORT. In my mind, they gave us 10-11 as opposed to 13 FULL LEVELS. The level is fun, but I felt short changed. Again, the online and racing probably took away from that.

I personally wished we could visit and explore entire side-worlds in our vehicles (collectibles etc)...THAT would've changed the game a bit. They did this, but it was not expansive enough nor often enough.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 18:37:15 28/09/2015 by TakeYourLemons
#115 Posted: 18:56:39 28/09/2015
Quote: TakeYourLemons

I am personally VERY shocked that two of these levels are SUPER SHORT. In my mind, they gave us 10-11 as opposed to 13 FULL LEVELS. The level is fun, but I felt short changed. Again, the online and racing probably took away from that.

I personally wished we could visit and explore entire side-worlds in our vehicles (collectibles etc)...THAT would've changed the game a bit. They did this, but it was not expansive enough nor often enough.

Lol. Wrong game lemons. You got lost in the comment somewhere.
---
#116 Posted: 04:01:42 29/09/2015

They just messed up across the board this year. Always next year.

You told me to keep you informed about Lego Dimensions and I can say it's totally worth it. All levels have some variety of gameplay that sets it apart from others.

Each vehicle and gadget or item you get from fun/team/level packs can be rebuilt three times into something that changes the gameplay a bit. Level packs not only unlock a new level/story for their respective franchise, but unlock an open world for that franchise with side quests and other fun things to do. I like that the game asks you to build stuff during the course of the story. Money well spent.

You won't believe what I'm doing. I had 38 set aside for the Legendary Sky Racing Pack for the 1st, but I'm actually skipping it to buy 2 fun packs for Dimensions, and I'll get the racing pack whenever. I would only be buying it for Astroblast and Sun Runner anyway. I'll get it in between picking up Dimensions stuff. Very impressed with Dimensions. Buying more Dimensions stuff tomorrow (Portal 2, Simpsons level packs, Jurassic World team pack, and Wizard of Oz and Ninjago fun packs).
---
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#117 Posted: 12:54:28 29/09/2015
See, some people here get it.

You didn't need Swaplanders to beat any levels of Swap Force. So for those who didn't like the gimmick, they could totally skip it.

With Superchargers, all but 2 very short levels made it so you had to drive land vehicles down long paths... that felt the same... to get from point A to B.

I like Mario Kart, but I know that Mario Kart is a racing game. Skylanders has always been a game about exploring, collecting, and leveling Skylanders.

Not with Superchargers. It's about minimal enemies and a huge focus on vehicles, which alienate he hundreds of Skylanders that are out.

Again, the land sections you are forced to drive to get through all but 2 levels were boring. It's my opinion, and I'm not changing it to walk on eggshell for the resident Skylander defense force. Heck, I have every right to gripe based on how much I've spent compared to others on this franchise.

I will buy next years game, but that doesn't mean I can't gripe when any given Skylander game doesn't get it right in my eyes.

I was hoping this game would have as much variety as Swap Force did, but it didn't. Levels relied too much on vehicle gameplay, and less on what made Skylanders fun the past 4 games.

So, does Mario Kart being released take away from traditional games? Do people complain when Mario Kart comes out that they are missing out on a regular side scrolling Mario game because of that? No, it is just a larger variety of Mario games. The only thing you could argue is that it takes away from a yearly iteration of regular Skylanders. If it isn't for you, then it isn't for you - but people have been clamoring for "something different" and they delivered something very different. We asked for online and we got a robust online component.

You have a right to gripe whether you just bought the Starter, or bought three of each figure. No one wants that taken away. But, people also have a right to disagree. You also hate Infinity, I think it is a pretty good game - and my kids agree. I think they are going to love the driving as well. And if we are all honest with ourselves, they are the target audience, not all of us grown ups.

I do have complaints, but they are things like the asinine way they did the Starter Packs that pretty much makes collecting ridiculous. I like they cut back on figure count and made the reposes meaningful this year, but they really messed up with the Starters, and it significantly damaged my desire for variants.
#118 Posted: 15:38:15 29/09/2015
I don't hate Infinity. In facts daughters and I have been building levels on it as of late.

I don't like it more than Skylanders, but Infinity is only played when we feel like building together. Otherwise it was Skylanders (done with Superchargers not replaying it), and now it's all about Dimensions, which will offer me content every three months until next May. Only needing one starter pack is cool too.

I know people are going to disagree with my opinions, and that's fine. I'm an adult, I can handle that my opinion varies from others. You won't see me going on the defensive like some here over their opinions. Nose bleeding all over someone's opinion would be very immature. Peeps here love Superchargers, more power to them. To me, it's the weakest Skylanders entry. Hopefully next year, TFB gets it right. Hopefully VV gets back to form with the 7th entry.
---
#119 Posted: 16:40:59 29/09/2015
To be honest, compared all together SSA is the weakest entry. It's rough to go back and play it. For its time, sure it was great. But it hasn't aged well and feels REALLY limited. We just expect more now.

They tried something new this year, and it isn't for everyone. Reminds me of how other franchises tried driving for a game (Crash Bandicoot, LittleBigPlanet). Some people loved it, others prefer a more standard game. We just need to remember this is a kids franchise first and foremost, and kids tend to like vehicles and stuff. I know my youngest is going to love playing with the vehicles.
CelesteInk Blue Sparx Gems: 595
#120 Posted: 18:25:12 29/09/2015
I've noticed the opinions on this game are like how they were for Spyro's Adventure. If you all remember, it did not matter if it was a good game or not. It all relied on if you like the idea of Toys-to-Life or not. Those who liked the figures idea loved Spyo's Adventure, those who didn't... called it an abomination.

We're seeing this all over again with Superchargers. Those who don't mind the vehicles love Superchargers.... those who don't want vehicles seem to loathe it. As for me, I think it looks excellent. This is coming from someone who has Mario Kart in her list of worst game series of all time too... then again, the vehicle and racing segments look more along the lines of Crash Team Racing meets Twisted Metal.
#121 Posted: 19:00:50 29/09/2015
The topic has long stopped being about the review,but if anyone cares,IGN gave the game an 8.

Their negative was the bland story. Uh... Did I and other users play an entirely different game than the reviewers? This game changed the canon entirely,kicked status quo out of the window. Are they expecting a Last of Us or something?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:35:59 29/09/2015 by Bifrost
darkchylde28 Gold Sparx Gems: 2175
#122 Posted: 19:22:24 29/09/2015
Quote: CelesteInk
We're seeing this all over again with Superchargers. Those who don't mind the vehicles love Superchargers.... those who don't want vehicles seem to loathe it. As for me, I think it looks excellent. This is coming from someone who has Mario Kart in her list of worst game series of all time too... then again, the vehicle and racing segments look more along the lines of Crash Team Racing meets Twisted Metal.

Personally, I'm not against the vehicle sections but can't help but agree with a lot of folks who say that the majority of those sections are repetitive and boring. If they'd opened things up to where the vehicles could be used optionally in some areas (use a vehicle or go on foot in the circular "gate" areas, bring vehicles into the game in larger foot traffic areas, etc.) and expanded the foot sections a bit, I think the majority of people with doubts about the game and series would have been pacified. As it is, it's fun, but the game doesn't encourage exploration like past games did, mostly leading you by the nose from area to area and has taken the difficulty of the game (even on hard/nightmare) and thrown it right into the toilet. The only time I've had a SuperCharger die was when I simply wasn't paying any attention at all. (New) Characters overall seem to do less damage than in the past, but combine that with the ability to jump out of the way of most enemies with ease, that just draws out combat--it doesn't make it harder.

While I really could have taken or left them, the one thing where VV can be taken to task for certain is with the Lock "Puzzles." In the past, the lock puzzles were exactly that--puzzles. If you couldn't figure it out, there was usually a cheat somewhere (a free pass sold by Auric, Blastermind's power, many FAQs available online, etc.) to get past it. This time around, though? They're not puzzles at all! You can go get the lightning bolts to increase the reward at the end, but basically you're just coasting the little gremlins around to the ignition switch and punching it. That's not a puzzle at all--even my infant son's puzzles require you to put the differently shaped pieces into their correspondingly shaped holes, not just throw them all in a bucket and call it good. If they were trying to appeal to people who were tired of the puzzle aspect, they should have just let you either hit "skip" to go past it once entering the puzzle screen or hammered on the lock without trying the puzzle at all to break it off the door/wall/etc.

With that in mind, with everything I've observed in and taken away from the game, I really think that Activison, Toys for Bob and Vicarious Visions did everything they could think of to both "dumb down" or "turn the volume down" on the game to make it even more kid friendly and accessible as well as drive away adult fans and collectors as much as possible. There's even a section of the game that I haven't gotten to yet but have read spoilers on which displays this opinion about adults/collectors directly. While I can understand the thinking of "Hey, scalpers/adult jerks are pushing our target audience away," I think that whoever made the call should have either been a little more even handed about how they updated the game to rebalance everything or just come right out and said "Adults, collectors, this is not for you anymore" and owned their decition instead of leaving all sorts of little clues here and there to frustrate anyone with a checkbook (or equivalent) who is outside of the 2-12 age range.

Don't take this as a rant about the game or my complete hatred of it, etc. My wife and I are still having quite a lot of fun with it and our son absolutely loves the new toys. I'm not sorry that I picked up the game and all of the toys this time around and think that this is the best looking and sounding entry in the series thus far. I just think that they could have balanced the gameplay aspects a little more to appeal to both audiences the Skylanders franchise has managed to cultivate instead of going whole hog to capture the pre-teen market the way they did.

-Doug
---
SSA: Complete, SG: Complete, SSF: Complete, STT: Complete (Save Yawn Traps), SSC: Complete (To Date) + Various Chase/Promotional Variants
#123 Posted: 20:00:48 29/09/2015
Quote: darkchylde28

Personally, I'm not against the vehicle sections but can't help but agree with a lot of folks who say that the majority of those sections are repetitive and boring. If they'd opened things up to where the vehicles could be used optionally in some areas (use a vehicle or go on foot in the circular "gate" areas, bring vehicles into the game in larger foot traffic areas, etc.) and expanded the foot sections a bit, I think the majority of people with doubts about the game and series would have been pacified. As it is, it's fun, but the game doesn't encourage exploration like past games did, mostly leading you by the nose from area to area and has taken the difficulty of the game (even on hard/nightmare) and thrown it right into the toilet. The only time I've had a SuperCharger die was when I simply wasn't paying any attention at all. (New) Characters overall seem to do less damage than in the past, but combine that with the ability to jump out of the way of most enemies with ease, that just draws out combat--it doesn't make it harder.

While I really could have taken or left them, the one thing where VV can be taken to task for certain is with the Lock "Puzzles." In the past, the lock puzzles were exactly that--puzzles. If you couldn't figure it out, there was usually a cheat somewhere (a free pass sold by Auric, Blastermind's power, many FAQs available online, etc.) to get past it. This time around, though? They're not puzzles at all! You can go get the lightning bolts to increase the reward at the end, but basically you're just coasting the little gremlins around to the ignition switch and punching it. That's not a puzzle at all--even my infant son's puzzles require you to put the differently shaped pieces into their correspondingly shaped holes, not just throw them all in a bucket and call it good. If they were trying to appeal to people who were tired of the puzzle aspect, they should have just let you either hit "skip" to go past it once entering the puzzle screen or hammered on the lock without trying the puzzle at all to break it off the door/wall/etc.

With that in mind, with everything I've observed in and taken away from the game, I really think that Activison, Toys for Bob and Vicarious Visions did everything they could think of to both "dumb down" or "turn the volume down" on the game to make it even more kid friendly and accessible as well as drive away adult fans and collectors as much as possible. There's even a section of the game that I haven't gotten to yet but have read spoilers on which displays this opinion about adults/collectors directly. While I can understand the thinking of "Hey, scalpers/adult jerks are pushing our target audience away," I think that whoever made the call should have either been a little more even handed about how they updated the game to rebalance everything or just come right out and said "Adults, collectors, this is not for you anymore" and owned their decition instead of leaving all sorts of little clues here and there to frustrate anyone with a checkbook (or equivalent) who is outside of the 2-12 age range.

Don't take this as a rant about the game or my complete hatred of it, etc. My wife and I are still having quite a lot of fun with it and our son absolutely loves the new toys. I'm not sorry that I picked up the game and all of the toys this time around and think that this is the best looking and sounding entry in the series thus far. I just think that they could have balanced the gameplay aspects a little more to appeal to both audiences the Skylanders franchise has managed to cultivate instead of going whole hog to capture the pre-teen market the way they did.

-Doug

This.Im a kid and its easy for me
---
#124 Posted: 20:02:28 29/09/2015
The topic has long stopped being about the review,but if anyone cares,IGN gave the game an 8.

Their negative was the bland story. Uh... Did I and other users play an entirely different game than the reviewers? This game changed the canon entirely,kicked status quo out of the window. Are they expecting a Last of Us or something?

I guess they were. They wanted it to be either kiddie and silly, or serious and grandiose. Nothing in the middle will do I suppose.
---
#125 Posted: 20:05:56 29/09/2015
Pretty much.They've complained about the story or brushed it off in every game already,wouldn't be suprised if it's the same reviewer every time,and same issue as other franchises where nothing will please the guy and yet he's still pretending it'll be up to his standards.
---
#126 Posted: 20:12:52 29/09/2015
The story for this game is great!Its IGN so......
---
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#127 Posted: 20:37:47 29/09/2015
Well, hey, this is IGN, remember? The guys who gave Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire a negative for too much water.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
#128 Posted: 20:47:23 29/09/2015

Story being our loose interpretation of it. Or story from the perspective of a 5-10 year old, sure it's good. Acceptable is better. Best of the five so far? I think so....I love the nice quips that flow rather well between scenes.

Darkchylde, I'm rather puzzled why they would WANT to turn away customers (collectors, adult players etc)...who in their right mind turns away good money? It definitely feels that they're trying to do that...should we play along and and see where that takes the franchise?
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:39:35 30/09/2015 by TakeYourLemons
#129 Posted: 20:56:14 29/09/2015

Story being our loose interpretation of it. Or story from the perspective of a 5-10 year old, sure it's good. Acceptable is better. Best of the five so far? I think so....I love the nice quips that flow rather well between scenes.

Darkchylde, I'm rather puzzles why they would WANT to turn away customers (collectors, adult players etc)...who in their right mind turns away good money? It definitely feels that they're trying to do that...should we play along and and see where that takes the franchise?

We can see where they take the franchise, but it needs to stick to what worked while doing something cool.

Lego Dimensions is very very impressive. I'm overwhelmed with things to do, and having 7 characters on the portal/screen at once helping you breaks the old Lego game trend. Was exploring (cause Dimensions promotes exploring) Oz and fell off the map into a fully explorable Kansas, complete in black and white.

Highly impressed with Dimensions, and I hope this makes the Skylander devs work hard to keep our money.
---
#130 Posted: 20:58:14 29/09/2015
@Darkchylde28 I've ever heard of that, so I clearly can't give my opinion on it. If what you say is true, then that's kind of messed up. :/ If you still have a link, mind sharing?

@skylandersspyro Meh, I don't think that really matters. I was winning against strangers in arcades on Mortal Kombat back when I was around ten, so. lol. I honestly think kids can be a lot better at videogames than adults, since they're still adapting to videogames.

@TakeYourLemons I have to agree. Don't we adult gamers / collectors probably give them more money than the others?
Blink182Bouncer Yellow Sparx Gems: 1659
#131 Posted: 21:18:36 29/09/2015
I've noticed the opinions on this game are like how they were for Spyro's Adventure. If you all remember, it did not matter if it was a good game or not. It all relied on if you like the idea of Toys-to-Life or not. Those who liked the figures idea loved Spyo's Adventure, those who didn't... called it an abomination.

Not exactly. I like vehicles just don't like how they affected the rest of the game. If there were more normal enemies in levels and had more fleshed-out and longer maps this game would be perfect
I've said this before and will say ot again
Would you rather have the Chompy Worm and SkyHighland cannons
---
Still Waiting For Legendary Tom DeLonge To Come In The Blink-182 Triple Pack.
WHY DID THEY MAKE MATT SKIBA "CALIFORNIA EDITION EXCLUSIVE"
#132 Posted: 21:19:55 29/09/2015
I love Chompy Worm sections,the theme is awesome D:
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:20:06 29/09/2015 by Bifrost
darkchylde28 Gold Sparx Gems: 2175
#133 Posted: 21:32:33 29/09/2015
@Darkchylde28 I've ever heard of that, so I clearly can't give my opinion on it. If what you say is true, then that's kind of messed up. :/ If you still have a link, mind sharing?

What are you talking about, specifically? If I had to guess, I'd say you're curious about where VV pokes at adults/collectors directly in the game. If so, it apparently shows up via a character you bump into in level 7 (chapters 25-27). I read about it on here but can't recall specifically where or find the topic or posts that the information came out of.

-Doug
---
SSA: Complete, SG: Complete, SSF: Complete, STT: Complete (Save Yawn Traps), SSC: Complete (To Date) + Various Chase/Promotional Variants
#134 Posted: 21:35:33 29/09/2015
That's Gadfly Glades. I'll spoiler the details for those who aren't that far yet. But in a nutshell,they just use it for jokes,it's not really as offensive as it looks at first,unless you get offended easily. Whatever happened for Acti to turn their backs on collectors has nothing to do with David's writing,at the very most he noticed that happening and got inspired for the level gag,but can't do anything about it since it's not his job.

The Collector will ask about your series, if you're an Elite, joke that you're a chase variant, and be generally obsessed with having what's rare, but she's also clearly insane and somehow got ahold of an old writer because rare, which she actually doesn't treat badly, she just locks him up for display like you'd do to a bird.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 21:38:02 29/09/2015 by Bifrost
#135 Posted: 21:43:10 29/09/2015
Yeah I don't think that's a big deal, really. It's just an in joke, and acknowledging all of the different types of people who play the game.
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5683
#136 Posted: 21:59:24 29/09/2015
You know, I think the reason why this would feel like an easy game in the Superchargers on-foot areas is the fact that this is the fifth game, the third with jumping. We have gotten used to the way gameplay works, and so we are adept in battle. For newer players, it might seem extremely difficult. And of course, Trap Team has their own version of difficult with the Traptanium Powered Kaos battle. The point is, thanks to our experience, maybe that's why the game feels easier.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
#137 Posted: 22:05:18 29/09/2015
Quote: zookinator
You know, I think the reason why this would feel like an easy game in the Superchargers on-foot areas is the fact that this is the fifth game, the third with jumping. We have gotten used to the way gameplay works, and so we are adept in battle. For newer players, it might seem extremely difficult. And of course, Trap Team has their own version of difficult with the Traptanium Powered Kaos battle. The point is, thanks to our experience, maybe that's why the game feels easier.

It also likely depends on who you're playing as. I've avoided playing as Wind Up and Bumble Blast in Swap Force on the harder difficulties for example, because they are so over powered that they make the game far easier than it should be.
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5683
#138 Posted: 22:14:44 29/09/2015
^That's also true. I haven't played Superchargers yet (hoping to get it today!) but just from the general opinion, many of the characters from Trap Team, old and new, have been significantly improved in terms of damage totals. Plus, not knowing what else to say, the Superchargers themselves are quite strong too. Until I play myself, can't say much.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
#139 Posted: 22:16:32 29/09/2015
The concept naturally brings in a retains child. The focus should be retaining the kids as they get older by keeping things interesting for them while not making the characters have romantic interest, lopping off heads, and drinking alcohol.

It needs to be the original Teen Titans, not the garbage that is Teen Titans Go.
---
#140 Posted: 22:16:37 29/09/2015
Nah,this time it seems to be the opposite - most Superchargers currently out are glass cannons,or not strong at all. Guess it's one extreme or another these days, but from what I've seen all of them have super low health, risky moves, take a ton of upgrades to catch up, low damage or a combination of some. Not exactly bad, but it's weird when SSA figures are outclassing instead of being toe-to-toe.

Earth-Dragons, I wouldn't make that Teen Titans Go analogy,they spent an entire episode saying critics are evil and just don't understand because it's for kids. No, a show for kids doesn't need to be utter crap, they're allowed to have quality and standards and suprise the kids. Same for this game; be easy or at least simple,yes,but don't insult our intelligence, no matter the age.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:18:16 29/09/2015 by Bifrost
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#141 Posted: 22:50:33 29/09/2015
Nah,this time it seems to be the opposite - most Superchargers currently out are glass cannons,or not strong at all. Guess it's one extreme or another these days, but from what I've seen all of them have super low health, risky moves, take a ton of upgrades to catch up, low damage or a combination of some. Not exactly bad, but it's weird when SSA figures are outclassing instead of being toe-to-toe.

Earth-Dragons, I wouldn't make that Teen Titans Go analogy,they spent an entire episode saying critics are evil and just don't understand because it's for kids. No, a show for kids doesn't need to be utter crap, they're allowed to have quality and standards and suprise the kids. Same for this game; be easy or at least simple,yes,but don't insult our intelligence, no matter the age.

Like Steven Universe.
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
#142 Posted: 00:31:58 30/09/2015
@TakeYourLemons I have to agree. Don't we adult gamers / collectors probably give them more money than the others?

No idea what the percentage is...I guess all I'm saying is that it's generally a good idea to make it accessible to as many people as possible. alienating collectors through actions such as removal of stickers/cards and through the story are more than just subtle hints. I'm not offended (and I don't have a glass heart) but to darkchylde's point it does make you wonder.

If Dimensions is as deep as GM78 is saying, then maybe it's ok to switch. Lego has always managed to keep young and old people engaged, so maybe they'll tailor to my needs better. I really wish they'd allow all the tracks open with the packs...it's obnoxious to see gated content like this (but I'll be honest I usually have not played the game until Christmas).

I've been loyal to Actvision but I can't splurge on multiple TTL entries without sacrificing on figures. I'll keep my eyes peeled on the latest contenders to see if it's time.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:33:52 30/09/2015 by TakeYourLemons
#143 Posted: 00:44:21 30/09/2015
Dimensions is likely very fun. I'm gonna wait for a price drop, hopefully Black Friday. If you haven't played a Lego game you are definitely missing out. I highly recommend Lego City and Lego Marvel, amazing amounts of content. Batman 3 is also very good, they just sacrificed the open world aspect since the Watchtower isn't all the huge (of course).
#144 Posted: 01:12:51 30/09/2015
Quote: defpally
Dimensions is likely very fun. I'm gonna wait for a price drop, hopefully Black Friday. If you haven't played a Lego game you are definitely missing out. I highly recommend Lego City and Lego Marvel, amazing amounts of content. Batman 3 is also very good, they just sacrificed the open world aspect since the Watchtower isn't all the huge (of course).

The planets in Lego Batman 3 are open world.I have it.Anyway this topic is turning into the LD love topic
---
#145 Posted: 02:09:51 30/09/2015
Dimensions is surprisingly deep for a TT Lego game. Story is good, it values exploration like past Lego games, in other words they don't fix what isn't broke, unlike Skylanders which removes past staples apparently, and exploring Hill Valley to "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the News rocks awesome. In Hill Valley, you can actually take the Delorean and go from 1985, to 1885, to 2015, and actions you perform in open world 1885 changes things in 1985. That's just ONE open world. The Pprtal world is all about puzzle solving, and... it's just really awesome.

Don't get me wrong, I will still support Skylanders, but when you mess up, you mess up, and Superchargers messed up BIG TIME in my eyes. They turned my hard earned money I spent on magic items and turned them into trash, and crammed boring car driving into levels that used to promote Skylanders fighting and exploration.

I hope next years game is good, or who knows. All I can say is, Lego Dimensions is hands down the best TTL game this year.

Edit: to give VV some credit, the only cool thing about Superchargers was the levels that had variety in gameplay like magnet puzzle solving and walking in various forms of gravity. Also, rank 74 reward should be a staple in all future Skylander games, and giving all Skylanders the equivalent of 35 speed boost without a hat is a plus. No one likes slow Skylanders.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:13:56 30/09/2015 by GameMaster78
ChillStealthElf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1864
#146 Posted: 03:35:33 30/09/2015
Quote: Earth-Dragon

It needs to be the original Teen Titans, not the garbage that is Teen Titans Go.

or another analogy is Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes as opposed to Avengers Assemble....why do so many GOOD cartoons get canceled for more dumbed down garbage randomness like Spongebob or Annoying Orange smilie Best cartoons on TV atm are Adventure Time and the new TMNT....they have great writing and treat the audience like intelligent people.
Hawksey128 Blue Sparx Gems: 994
#147 Posted: 04:15:32 30/09/2015
All I'm gonna say is that my 2 year old cousin loves this game because he got 6th in a Hard Sky Race.
---
I'm going to tell you right now.
BUY smilie
EHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH THIS IS A POINTLESS EDITION TO A SIGNATURE I DUNNO
FaboulousFab Yellow Sparx Gems: 1247
#148 Posted: 06:18:41 30/09/2015
Errrr teen titanic, lego gandalf, aren't we not just a little off of subject? smilie
If you want some advertissements, there's also the adventure pack "rise against the empire"
that just comming for infinity 3.0 smilie smilie

In fact, it's rather simple if you're so disapointed on supercharger, sell it now,
the second hand price is still high, or you're already doomed to collect everything?
This year I appreciate doing the game with limited need of spending money.

I've read all you reactions i respect them but i don't have the feeling playing the same game,
i liked the changes, execpt for arenas (lazzzzzy boys). There are defaults (spyro is dead?),
but in overall it's a great game for me.

I think if it was a standard plateformer game it would have been the overdose to me.
I guess we can't please everyone.
(Seriously Spyro is dead?)
---
Marge: But I thought broccoli was...
Dr. Hibbert: Oh yes. One of the deadliest plants on earth. It tries to warn you itself with its terrible taste.
#149 Posted: 09:00:36 30/09/2015
No,Spyro isn't dead,stop parroting that. He's playable,he's collectable, he drives cars like an adorable dork(his smile when driving is too much) and his Elite is locked to level 20 on this game. I'd be like saying Whirlwind is dead because she didn't get a new toy.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:01:21 30/09/2015 by Bifrost
#150 Posted: 13:01:19 30/09/2015
The cartoon analogy was right on point of the subject......talking about the game ratings and what we expectz
---
First | Previous | Page 3 of 4 | Last
1 2 3 4

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me