Page 1 of 1
Not appreciated enough?
etherealspyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2267
#1 Posted: 20:15:56 16/07/2015 | Topic Creator
This game is actually a good game, it really is sad the way it had to turn out. This game could have been so much greater than it is if it wasn't rushed. It's sad that people talk so badly about it but really the levels are pretty cool and creative especially past the first two. Even though this game does feel empty and clearly rushed, you should give credit to the fact that the levels are huge and creative. Watching CrystalFissure's let's play of Spyro 4 is probably the best critic video you guys can see because he makes amazing points about the game. I just wish they would've suffered making the game late rather than give us an unfinished yet pretty okay game.
---
Furry trash tho
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#2 Posted: 20:38:11 16/07/2015
The level can be as good(...a few, I honestly feel the level design is kinda souless) as they are,but after the glitches and the loading, even that feels like a chore to look at. I couldn't WAIT to finish this game when it was the only Spyro avaliable on rental and I was just getting started on the franchise - the sooner I could return it and play something better paced(AHT was still rented and I had to go for Crash Twinsanity), the better. The first two worlds? Yay, adventure. A few hours later - no, you stop enjoying it. An LP is something else entirely because you don't have to deal with the slipperly controls and finnicky everything,too.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:41:26 16/07/2015 by Bifrost
#3 Posted: 21:53:14 16/07/2015 | Topic Creator
True true, but honestly I have the ps2 version and it is not nearly as slow and slippery as people say. I don't know. I am not saying it is the best game ever, but it really is not that bad.
---
Furry trash tho
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#4 Posted: 22:11:49 16/07/2015
I played the PS2 version and the gamecube version(long story), both the same amount of bad.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
CrystalFissure Blue Sparx Gems: 626
#5 Posted: 01:36:03 17/07/2015
The best way to play this game is to play it on Dolphin emulator and run it at 60FPS. The program actually allows you to force the game to run at that speed, and it looks and feels amazing. On top of that, GameCube has less loading time. So they're definitely not the same level of bad, but on console, yes they're pretty close.

I wonder what it would be like if everyone could play the game again at 60. So much of the stress comes from the terrible fluctuating speeds.
#6 Posted: 09:44:27 19/07/2015 | Topic Creator
Mines not too fluctuating but it does have many of the awful glitches obviously due to bad programming and incomplete development. It could've been great if it had the extra time it needed. I really want to look into the levels and other original ideas that were left out.
---
Furry trash tho
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#7 Posted: 17:42:58 25/08/2015
Simply playing this game at a decent and reasonably steady FPS would be a huge improvement. That and the loading times are honestly the biggest issue. This game was unfinished and it shows because of that FPS and the load times.

I still don't think it'd be great- it's pretty short and I agree with Bifrost the level design just feels soulless, for lack of a better word- but it's still serviceable and there are some pretty cool bits.

If it were finished I think this could have trumped YoTD and maybe Spyro 1, but it's not. The product we got is lost potential, more than anything.
Spyrobaby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4254
#8 Posted: 19:53:15 25/08/2015
Quote: Arc of Archives
Simply playing this game at a decent and reasonably steady FPS would be a huge improvement. That and the loading times are honestly the biggest issue. This game was unfinished and it shows because of that FPS and the load times.

I still don't think it'd be great- it's pretty short and I agree with Bifrost the level design just feels soulless, for lack of a better word- but it's still serviceable and there are some pretty cool bits.

If it were finished I think this could have trumped YoTD and maybe Spyro 1, but it's not. The product we got is lost potential, more than anything.

I agree, the loading screens took so long by the time the level had loaded I'd kind of given up. And I just generally can't be bothered with how slow it is. I really like some of the soundtrack and the levels are beautifully designed and have some very interesting concepts but it doesn't have any of the charm of the original trilogy or even that AHT had for that matter.
---
The darkness only stays at nighttime, in the morning it'll fade away. Daylight's good at arriving at the right time, it's not always going to be this grey~
#9 Posted: 15:30:36 27/08/2015 | Topic Creator
I don't know why but it really isnt that bad for me like it really isnt that laggy like I have it for ps2 and yeah the levels are soulless but all I am saying is that there are far worse games out there and people just bash on this game so much.
---
Furry trash tho
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#10 Posted: 03:42:06 28/08/2015
I don't really feel that way, TBH. People used to diss this game a lot more, now I don't see it bought up much.

Personally, I think the worst game in the series is Season of Ice, but I can see why this gets bought up when discussing the worst one. It marked such a huge decline after the PS1 games and, being a home-console game, had much more impact than SoI.

Kinda off-topic but I'm playing through Sonic 06, and I don't think that deserves the ragging it gets as the worst game ever. I've played games I think are worse and I've seen ones that are blatantly more unfinished or just disturbing. Heck, there are a few worse games within the Sonic series. 06 is still awful, though- it's got a ludicrous plot, lacks any polish and is plagued with terribly-executed mechanics. Hey, at least ETD is better than that, it'd be a decent (though terribly short) game if it just had better framerate and load times. smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:47:18 28/08/2015 by Arc of Archives
#11 Posted: 05:59:59 28/08/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: etherealspyro
I don't know why but it really isnt that bad for me like it really isnt that laggy like I have it for ps2 and yeah the levels are soulless but all I am saying is that there are far worse games out there and people just bash on this game so much.

Thank you, that's exactly what I am saying.
---
Furry trash tho
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#12 Posted: 20:29:04 01/09/2015
I look past the flaws and, honestly this was a really good game save for the loading times, which itself isn't extreme ( i have the Gamecube version ). It really disappoints me that this game is the most hated and reviled spyro game. It also disappoints me that the company, Universal Interactive, rushed some inexperienced game developers to make a game for a christmas release. Had this been fully completely developed, it wouldn't have received as much hate.
Faust Blue Sparx Gems: 700
#13 Posted: 15:00:51 11/02/2016
I thought that the gameplay overall was quite fun. The only flaws were the damn hellish loading times (and the fact that I was never able complete Monkey Monastery because my game would always freeze at the loading screen, but I blame my faulty disk for that).

Also, the story was rushed so badly that it's not even funny. There's literally only 3 cutscenes IN THE ENTIRE GAME.

I'm sorry, but the boss fight was just plain awful; mainly for obvious reasons.

But aside from that the game was actually quite enjoyable. There were some good features in this game, such as the character designs and graphics. Surprisingly nice and pretty, especially for a PS2 game. The music was also quite catchy, too.

It might not be the best of the original era, but I thought it was certainly better than Season of Ice.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me