darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Trap Team > Question on Wii U Portal Compatibility With Olde r Games
Page 1 of 1
Question on Wii U Portal Compatibility With Olde r Games
tjeacret Green Sparx Gems: 332
#1 Posted: 13:38:52 25/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Hello! I'm looking at buying a Wii U for my kids. I am looking at buying the Trap Team starter pack for Wii U and was wondering if the portal for Wii U Trap Team will work for Swap Force and Giants discs?hoping to buy the discs only for Swap Force and Giants and use the Trap Team portal. Thanks!
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#2 Posted: 13:51:49 25/04/2015
If it's for the same console, the portals will be compatible with previous games aside from the current one. They just don't work if it's say, PS3 Giants or X360 Swap Force.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:52:16 25/04/2015 by Bifrost
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#3 Posted: 15:19:32 25/04/2015
Quote: Bifrost
If it's for the same console, the portals will be compatible with previous games aside from the current one. They just don't work if it's say, PS3 Giants or X360 Swap Force.

they work on any console except xbox 360. that one has a different
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
SkylandersEzra Emerald Sparx Gems: 3659
#4 Posted: 17:31:06 25/04/2015
Quote: skylandersspyro
Quote: Bifrost

they work on any console except xbox 360. that one has a different

...and the Xbox One (which isn't even compatible with the 360).

There's a nice Portal Compatibility Chart here.
tjeacret Green Sparx Gems: 332
#5 Posted: 05:15:08 26/04/2015 | Topic Creator
That chart helps immensely. We already have the PS4 Trap Team so I only need to be in the lookout for the discs for the games, not portals. Curious if there is a Wii U version of the original Skylanders or if that's the Wii version just played in Wii U and if so, can it be played from the GamePad alone?

Thanks!
Pacifickarma Yellow Sparx Gems: 1268
#6 Posted: 22:29:25 26/04/2015
I seem to remember that SSA was released on Wii U - but only in Japan.
juarmo Blue Sparx Gems: 749
#7 Posted: 17:04:36 28/04/2015
Quote: tjeacret
That chart helps immensely. We already have the PS4 Trap Team so I only need to be in the lookout for the discs for the games, not portals. Curious if there is a Wii U version of the original Skylanders or if that's the Wii version just played in Wii U and if so, can it be played from the GamePad alone?

Thanks!

To answer your questions: Yes, its the wii version being played on the wii u, and no, you'll need a Wii remote (+ is optional) AND a nunchuck to go with it
PS: Welcome to Team Nintendo!
Also, darn you Microsoft!
You're Scrubbox doesn't deserve to be at the front of the pack!
Halo and that other xbox exclusive don't justify its trashiness!
PSA: If you're thinking of buying an Xbox: Don't buy an xbox just for Halo, which basically means don't buy one at all, because that's literally the only "GOOD" thing on Xbox that PS4 DOESN'T have [and Halo isn't my cup of tea, but seriously]... there are PLENTY of good things Xbox One doesn't have on the PS4, so buy one of them instead! It'll last MUCH longer for any no-lifers/otakus, but if you're a scrub/casual/plebian who can't (remember, "a 'pro' isn't someone who devites themselves to their JOB, that's called a FOOL!"- its a quote from FFVII <--holy grail of gaming/rpg/otaku's [since that entire series has entries that have no-lifers with a clear count close to 1000 {and their more numerous than one would expect, and it even applies to related series like Kingdom Hearts and Super Mario RPG: A Legend of Seven Stars}], so it must be true...)/won't (again, if you're social life is getting in the way of your gaming life, its time to cut back... since you can have a social life while gaming, but you can't have a gaming life while socializing...) squeeze in at least a 2 digit number of hours a week, xbox is ideal...
---
My dream in life is to steamroll Skylanders Imaginators on Nightmare difficulty with only a Level 60 Sir Hoodington with maximum Fire Elemental Power
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#8 Posted: 17:59:30 28/04/2015
Quote: juarmo
PSA: If you're thinking of buying an Xbox: Don't buy an xbox just for Halo, which basically means don't buy one at all, because that's literally the only "GOOD" thing on Xbox that PS4 DOESN'T have [and Halo isn't my cup of tea, but seriously]... there are PLENTY of good things Xbox One doesn't have on the PS4, so buy one of them instead! It'll last MUCH longer for any no-lifers/otakus, but if you're a scrub/casual/plebian who can't (remember, "a 'pro' isn't someone who devites themselves to their JOB, that's called a FOOL!"- its a quote from FFVII <--holy grail of gaming/rpg/otaku's [since that entire series has entries that have no-lifers with a clear count close to 1000 {and their more numerous than one would expect, and it even applies to related series like Kingdom Hearts and Super Mario RPG: A Legend of Seven Stars}], so it must be true...)/won't (again, if you're social life is getting in the way of your gaming life, its time to cut back... since you can have a social life while gaming, but you can't have a gaming life while socializing...) squeeze in at least a 2 digit number of hours a week, xbox is ideal...

LoL. The XBox One has more than just Halo as an exclusive reason to buy it (Sunset Overdrive, Oni, Killer Instinct, etc.). It's also cheaper (remember when that was a huge thing when the PS4 had that advantage?) . The PS4 has Bloodborne (which is fantastic, but not for the weak of heart - it is crazy hard), but the rest of their exclusives are hot garbage or PS3 re-treads. And before you call me a fanboy, I have both the XB1 and the PS4, and I don't have Halo on it.

PS: It is helpful to form a coherent thought before posting and using punctuation correctly.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:06:30 28/04/2015 by defpally
#9 Posted: 19:31:08 28/04/2015
Quote: defpally

LoL. The XBox One has more than just Halo as an exclusive reason to buy it (Sunset Overdrive, Oni, Killer Instinct, etc.). It's also cheaper (remember when that was a huge thing when the PS4 had that advantage?) . The PS4 has Bloodborne (which is fantastic, but not for the weak of heart - it is crazy hard), but the rest of their exclusives are hot garbage or PS3 re-treads. And before you call me a fanboy, I have both the XB1 and the PS4, and I don't have Halo on it.

PS: It is helpful to form a coherent thought before posting and using punctuation correctly.

Right, so the fact that a Xbox one is a BIT cheaper TOTALLY outweighs the fact that it won't last you through the year if you play it more than 5 hours a week, right? and just as I've mentioned halo is too easy a target... you literally only listed the first ps4 game that came to your mind, just as I listed halo...
For instance, PS4 has (or will have) J-Star or w/e that Shonen Jump anniversary fighter is called and LittleBigPlanet is a big name, who knows how it got to that point...

but as I've that wasn't relevant to the topic and since it went over your head:
yes, it was the wii version played on wii u, spyro's adventure was never made for wii u, and no, sorry, you'll have to use a wii remote and nunchuck, which I believe are sold separately (i'm 99% sure nunchuk is)
---
My dream in life is to steamroll Skylanders Imaginators on Nightmare difficulty with only a Level 60 Sir Hoodington with maximum Fire Elemental Power
#10 Posted: 20:49:49 28/04/2015
Right, so the fact that a Xbox one is a BIT cheaper TOTALLY outweighs the fact that it won't last you through the year if you play it more than 5 hours a week, right? and just as I've mentioned halo is too easy a target... you literally only listed the first ps4 game that came to your mind, just as I listed halo...
For instance, PS4 has (or will have) J-Star or w/e that Shonen Jump anniversary fighter is called and LittleBigPlanet is a big name, who knows how it got to that point...

yes, it was the wii version played on wii u, spyro's adventure was never made for wii u, and no, sorry, you'll have to use a wii remote and nunchuck, which I believe are sold separately (i'm 99% sure nunchuk is)

Of course it is the PS4 that has had the technical issues this go round, with some heat issues, HDMI port issues and system updates that bricked systems. Let's not even go into the hacks and Christmas day problems that brought XBox down for a few hours and PS down for a couple weeks. And the XB1 has gotten high marks this time around and has been noted to run noticeably cooler than the PS4, which has been my experience running both side by side. But let's just go ahead and hang onto an issue from the last generation first model system that is ten years old, okay?

LittleBigPlanet 3 (which I have on PS4) is also on PS3 with very little loss of features (pretty much only resolution) - hence why I said most notable exclusives are a re-tread. "J-Star or w/e that Shonen Jump anniversary fighter"? Are you drunk or do you really think that is actually an exclusive reason to get a PS4? I mentioned the only game that is exclusive to the PS4 and not an upgrade of a PS3 game that is worthy of purchase right now. I'm sorry, but were you going to bring up The Order 1886 or something? Haha.
#11 Posted: 15:23:54 30/04/2015
Quote: defpally

Of course it is the PS4 that has had the technical issues this go round, with some heat issues, HDMI port issues and system updates that bricked systems. Let's not even go into the hacks and Christmas day problems that brought XBox down for a few hours and PS down for a couple weeks. And the XB1 has gotten high marks this time around and has been noted to run noticeably cooler than the PS4, which has been my experience running both side by side. But let's just go ahead and hang onto an issue from the last generation first model system that is ten years old, okay?

LittleBigPlanet 3 (which I have on PS4) is also on PS3 with very little loss of features (pretty much only resolution) - hence why I said most notable exclusives are a re-tread. "J-Star or w/e that Shonen Jump anniversary fighter"? Are you drunk or do you really think that is actually an exclusive reason to get a PS4? I mentioned the only game that is exclusive to the PS4 and not an upgrade of a PS3 game that is worthy of purchase right now. I'm sorry, but were you going to bring up The Order 1886 or something? Haha.

I'm sorry, but I thought we were arguing over what the PS4 has that the Xbox ONE doesn't, not what the PS4 has that the PS3 doesn't... assume for a second that someone's been gaming Nintendo for their whole lives, and never bought an xbox OR a playstation... now, assume that they want a current gen console, and don't CARE if the games can also be played on a last gen console, simply because they don't HAVE said console

Also, if the PS3 can handle current gen games with only a few downgrades, that speaks to the quality of sony systems, not to how bad they are... The PS2 was still supported until late 2013, can you say the same for the original Xbox? furthermore, was the xbox 360 even still supported in November/December 2013?
you can pretty much be sure that the PS4 will still be useful in say, 5 years from now [AND that it will still WORK by then], while the xbox ONE will be collecting DUST, and you'll never have a big problem with overheating with that self-cleaning feature that Sony has used since PS1, I assumed sony TM'd the tech, because Nintendo never used it, and Xbox didn't have it during its second gen, also, I hear that while Sony is well on their way to developing VIRTUAL reality [they've officially "made it work", now they just need to "make it cheap"], Microsoft is STRUGGLING to develop AUGMENTED reality glasses, which is like, a step down...
---
#12 Posted: 17:35:30 30/04/2015
You really aren't getting what I am saying, I'm sorry is there a language barrier we are dealing with here? If so, then I understand.

Yes we were talking about what the PS4 does that the XB1 doesn't, and the answer to that is Bloodborne. I really don't consider re-treads to be reasons to choose the console, regardless whether you played them on PS3 or not. LBP 3 is decent and the Last of Us is excellent, but they are last gen games spruced up a bit. Those are not reasons to invest in next gen. If your best reason to upgrade is to play a PS3 game with a higher resolution, then you need to wait it out longer. And this is true with Skylanders, it looks amazing on the next gen consoles and runs great - but it is not a reason to upgrade alone.

And yes, the XBox 360 is still supported in 2015, let alone 2013. That's a dumb statement.

And the XB1 is top notch hardware, this is well known. Like I said, it is Sony that has the issues this time around. The overheating issue that caused RROD on a model from TEN years ago was due to a solder joint between two circuit boards and a faulty design. Newer model 360s don't have that problem and run notably cooler under the same load. So does the XB1, which runs really cool. Now if you don't take care of your consoles, sure in five years you might have a problem, but that is true with Sony and MS and Nintendo, there is no magical dust solution Sony has that instantly makes their systems more reliable long term - you believe too much you have read on NeoGAF. Sony had PS3 issues as well, lookup the "yellow light of death" - it's far more common than Sony fans care to admit.

And do you really want to discuss failed hardware design? Because Sony's stable of that is HUGE. PS Move. PS Eye. Memory Stick. Vita. And so on. Except for the PS branch, Sony is bleeding red - if it wasn't for the success of the PS4 they would seriously be looking into a court managed reorg. I wouldn't be so ready to embrace VR technology Sony comes up with - if history is a judge, it will be clunky, way too expensive and have next to no games that use it. Sony doesn't do "cheap", just ask Vita owners about memory card prices.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me