Page 1 of 1
I Got Mine... How About You?
INTIMIDAT3R Blue Sparx Gems: 857
#1 Posted: 10:15:04 30/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Not only did I score Spotlight and Blackout from GameStop last week, I scored 2 of each!

No, I didn't scalp them or even give it a thought.

I gave the other pair to my best friend, of 30 years, for his upcoming birthday in April.

While powering our characters up, we concluded that regardless of what Skylanders 5 brings, we're leaving the Skylands for good after our Trap Team collections are complete.

There's too much emphasis on figurines(which are freaking suh-weet) and not enough on gameplay and larger environments.

It's been a fun ride, but alas... All Good Things...
---
"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."--- 2 Timothy 4:7
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:16:20 30/03/2015 by INTIMIDAT3R
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#2 Posted: 10:40:24 30/03/2015
Anyone mind telling me where's the rule of 'you need to get all figures in a given game'? Because I don't remember needing that to enjoy any of the games. Don't blame Activision for making too many figures, enjoy the games in the future with who you *really* want to play as. No one is being forced to get all or quit.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
wild_defender Green Sparx Gems: 465
#3 Posted: 11:02:21 30/03/2015
Yeah the players put too much emphasis on the figures , the franchise just gives them what we want, u can't blame them.
Blame the fans for wanting more new characters when we've already got over 100 characters to choose from .

I personally just want a new game.. No new figures with it. But apparently that's the worst thing imaginable for all the terrible fans.
---
Anyone else think Short Cut should be making jokes about running with scissors?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:08:41 30/03/2015 by wild_defender
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#4 Posted: 12:48:45 30/03/2015
No new figures is simply unimmaginable.

Less, sure, but still at least one or two per Element.
The point of having all those figures is choosing which one to buy.
You don't have to but every figure, you choose to, as Bifrost said.

More focus on the game, to balance the already great one with the figures.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#5 Posted: 13:18:33 30/03/2015
Quote: Bifrost
Anyone mind telling me where's the rule of 'you need to get all figures in a given game'? Because I don't remember needing that to enjoy any of the games. Don't blame Activision for making too many figures, enjoy the games in the future with who you *really* want to play as. No one is being forced to get all or quit.

Who said he was? And who said he HAS to enjoy the franchise without them all? He's saying what a lot of people are feeling---too much emphasis on figures and not the game. And he didn't feel like anyone was forcing him. In fact, he appeared like he was very much in control of his facilities.

If they do NOTHING to remedy the content situation, 32 is quite enough.

Some people want to enjoy all of it, or none of it. It's not your decision to make people feel bad if they want to play that way.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:20:14 30/03/2015 by GhostRoaster
Buuzer Hunter Gems: 6546
#6 Posted: 13:37:14 30/03/2015
They need to create a : 1 gimmick, 1 core, 1 repose, 2 minis per element.
---
smilie smilie smilie youtube.com/user/GOWBuuzer smilie smilie smilie
#7 Posted: 14:59:02 30/03/2015
What I'm saying is that if the figures get in the way of enjoying the figures, focus on the game and not a full collection .Not telling anyone to feel bad, but if your sole reason for quitting is something you can control, then you could very well stay by speaking with your money so Acti notices the fandom is tired of so many figures per game.

We had the same thing last year, I could spell out the names of who said they'd quit or buy less because Acti is too greedy(but I'm not a jerk so I won't). They're still here this next year still complaining that collecting is too expensive. Not changing habits is telling Acti they don't need to change theirs.
---
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#8 Posted: 15:00:39 30/03/2015
I have blackout, but not spotlight.
GamerDrone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3287
#9 Posted: 15:28:31 30/03/2015
S5 should not be another gimmick. Put forth a new game and expand the Light and Dark elements. Light and Dark Swap Force and Giants would be cool. Although, the Light and Dark Trap Team are as big as Giants. Also, reposes of ones that haven't been done would be good.
#10 Posted: 15:38:28 30/03/2015
Quote: GhostRoaster

Who said he was? And who said he HAS to enjoy the franchise without them all? He's saying what a lot of people are feeling---too much emphasis on figures and not the game. And he didn't feel like anyone was forcing him. In fact, he appeared like he was very much in control of his facilities.

If they do NOTHING to remedy the content situation, 32 is quite enough.

Some people want to enjoy all of it, or none of it. It's not your decision to make people feel bad if they want to play that way.

Well, even less.
Even 16, like in Giants (or the eventual Light and Dark ones).

Do you mean 32 AND NO Lightcore, Mini, S2/3/4/5, palette swap...?
Because I'm all for it. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
ShinkenRed Gold Sparx Gems: 2651
#11 Posted: 17:15:46 30/03/2015
I kind of want Skylanders 5 to focus heavily on the Light and Dark elements. My OCD hates seeing how drastically outnumbered these two elements are compared to any of the eight common elements. Like, if the next game had just one core and one gimmick of the original eight, then 16 more characters divided among the Light and Dark elements, I'd be a happy camper.
---
Unique Character roster:
S:SA: 32/32, S:G: 16/16, S:SF: 32/32, S:TT: 36/36
SlickP Blue Sparx Gems: 548
#12 Posted: 17:28:28 30/03/2015
I don't mind the new figures with each game, I just hate all the remakes. I mean how many versions of one Skylanders do we need. They just need to stop that.
#13 Posted: 19:36:33 30/03/2015
I will give Trap Team points for that. There are hardly any reposes in Trap Team. I mean there's what... four?Five?
---
Unique Character roster:
#14 Posted: 19:53:52 30/03/2015
Quote: ShinkenRed
I will give Trap Team points for that. There are hardly any reposes in Trap Team. I mean there's what... four?Five?

Unless you count the Minis as reposes too.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
wild_defender Green Sparx Gems: 465
#15 Posted: 21:15:23 30/03/2015
minis definitely count as reposes. but I think a little worse then normal reposes coz all the designers did was make a smaller character sprite. At least normal reposes have effort put into a new wow pow or something. The only thing really good about the minis is that they are relatively cheap.
---
Anyone else think Short Cut should be making jokes about running with scissors?
#16 Posted: 22:09:23 30/03/2015
Quote: wild_defender
minis definitely count as reposes. but I think a little worse then normal reposes coz all the designers did was make a smaller character sprite. At least normal reposes have effort put into a new wow pow or something. The only thing really good about the minis is that they are relatively cheap.

And they can also switch paths.
Well, I consider them to be reposes 2.0, as they do have a different name and animations.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#17 Posted: 22:15:13 30/03/2015
^ Agreed, it's at least one half step up from a repose. Not much, just a "mini". smilie
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Friendzie Blue Sparx Gems: 611
#18 Posted: 03:01:24 31/03/2015
I mean, it's really been the story since the first game. I don't think they expect the average fan to get every character. I've streamed Skylanders on Twitch for quite a number of hours, and people come in asking me which figures I have. They are surprised if I tell them I have at least one of every character.
#19 Posted: 06:01:44 31/03/2015
Quote: Friendzie
I mean, it's really been the story since the first game. I don't think they expect the average fan to get every character. I've streamed Skylanders on Twitch for quite a number of hours, and people come in asking me which figures I have. They are surprised if I tell them I have at least one of every character.

Exactly.

And, If I can say, it's the same for traps.
Why are there more molds for Magic traps, than the actual villains...?

So you can choose which mold you want to buy.
No problem if you want to have a trap for every villain, but I don't think that was how they intended the gimmick to work.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#20 Posted: 06:12:20 31/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Drek95

Exactly.

No problem if you want to have a trap for every villain, but I don't think that was how they intended the gimmick to work.

What are you talking about? THAT is their EXACT plan on how their gimmick works.

I'm more fortunate than most cuz I have the disposable income to collect the figures and items that come out.

I'm just "over" the whole Skylanders "Thing". It's been a fun ride, but they're not milking this gamer for anymore figures or games after Trap Team.

I'm taking my disposable income and moving on to other games and making a date with Hennessey for my Vette....

[User Posted Image]
---
"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."--- 2 Timothy 4:7
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 06:40:46 31/03/2015 by INTIMIDAT3R
Friendzie Blue Sparx Gems: 611
#21 Posted: 06:21:42 31/03/2015
Quote: INTIMIDAT3R

Exactly.

What are you talking about? THAT is their EXACT plan on how their gimmick works.

I'm more fortunate than most cuz I have the disposable income to collect the figures and items that come out.

I'm just "over" the whole Skylanders "Thing". It's been a fun ride, but they're not milking this gamer for anymore figures or games after Trap Team.

I'm taking my disposable income and moving on to other games and making a date with Hennessey for my Vette....

https://plus.google.com/app/ba...CNPFxvfRvdvw2QE

There is no way that they think the average Skylander fan is out hunting for all the different variations. Of course they hope you buy them all. Just like McDonald's hopes you walk in and order everything on the menu.

Proof that they don't expect you to buy everything:

1. Figure variants aren't even shown on the collection screen unless you own them.
2. They don't make singles for the starter pack characters; if you own the Dark pack they don't expect you to want to buy the normal version. You can only get them both if you buy secondhand.
3. You never need every character to get a 100% game file.
4. You never need more than one figure to get all the achievements or trophies.
5. You only need one trap of every element to play as all the villains
6. They release some figures in more limited quantities than others based on projected sales and popularity
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:59:28 31/03/2015 by Friendzie
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#22 Posted: 08:10:24 31/03/2015
I feel like the 4 new elements per original elements adds choice. There are certainly some figures I am not interested in getting. As people said you don't have to buy them all.
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
#23 Posted: 09:02:32 31/03/2015
Dunno what the car adds to the argument but guess OP isn't changing his mind. Well, guess the game needs to change and not people's attitude, let's wait a decade for that to not really happen, because everyone will keep buying whatever gets thrown at them. Not gonna argue anymore here.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:06:55 31/03/2015 by Bifrost
#24 Posted: 12:02:56 31/03/2015

I know right? They designed it to MINIMIZE their sales and income? bwahahahaha....
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 12:04:00 31/03/2015 by GhostRoaster
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#25 Posted: 13:19:19 31/03/2015
They absolutely wanted people to buy traps to hold each villain. Why else would they give everyone a nice, convenient trap holder with enough slots for every villain? It is like a checklist for the OCD.
#26 Posted: 22:05:31 31/03/2015
I consider myself to have a lot of OCD aspects.
But not to the point I HAVE to fill holes in a cardboard holder.

I'll say it again, there is no problem if you want to but every single figure and every single trap, but don't try to justify it with a "there are 6 villains, so I have to buy 6 traps, because, OCD", or "that slightly different colored Skylander looks totally different, compared to the one I already own".
It's your conscious choice to do that.

I have no problem in saying that I don't buy variants, of any kind, simply because I consider them to be re-thought versions of the standard characters.
In my head, Nitro Krypt King doesn't even exist.
What are those colors...? Do they make sense, with the character...?

Some variants are cool, even for my tastes, but I cannot help but see them as "weird" versions of characters I already own.
Now, if they were in-game skins, that you unlock with treasure, I might think about getting few of them... But, real money...?
Nope.

Do you think Activision expects every single customer to buy every single toy and trap...?
I don't think so.
They would extremely like that, but that doesn't mean it's what they expect.
It's just what they would want.

Skylanders is about choice. It has always been about choice.
The majority of the customers aren't adult or teen collectors, with tons of money to spend on ultra-rare variants, they are families, who tipically are fine with just 15 or 20 toys, not even one per Element, sometimes.

I will never prefer a Lightcore, a palette swap, a repose or even a Mini over the original character.
I would only buy a S2/3/4 if the original character was nowhere to be found, and luckily, this has never happened, yet.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:12:46 31/03/2015 by Drek95
SkyScratch Blue Sparx Gems: 550
#27 Posted: 22:28:22 31/03/2015
I dont really get the argument here. So I'll input my thoughts as one of the "OCD" collectors.

I started out buying only skylanders that I like back in SSA, I'm not sure when the collection bug struck, but started collecting everything that appears different in game, this idea still remains today. Do I feel forced to buy all figures/traps? not at all, I'm well aware that I CHOOSE to. My wallet would be a lot happier had I only bought one of each element of traps, but oh well.

It is true though that this years line forced you to spend more to 100% the game with needing 11 traps and 10 trap masters, but lets not forget that to get all the achievements in SSA you had to own all 32 characters. The game rewards hardcore collectors but does not hurt those that pick and choose their characters. My friend that only collects the dragons has just as much fun playing the game as I do when we get together.

My final thoughts. I love the feeling of having a large collection of skylanders. I recently moved out of my parents house and have the proper space to display them, I love to see the awe on people's faces when they walk into my living room and are met with a wall of skylanders, makes me feel good. Had a guy come to hook my internet up, he stopped dead in his tracks and couldnt stop saying how amazing it was.

So I doubt that I'll be done with skylanders any time soon, they outgrew their tote, and constantly outgrow their display space. but I dont care, the little guys are my family now, and my pride and joy, so much so that even my cat gets jealous of them, lol.
#28 Posted: 22:41:46 31/03/2015
The argument is that OP is quitting because Activision releases too many figures to collect. Think I already said my points and Drek said them ever better,so just clarifying there.
---
#29 Posted: 22:50:42 31/03/2015
There's too much emphasis on figurines(which are freaking suh-weet) and not enough on gameplay and larger environments.

You can argue the figures till the cows come home, but the OP comments on gameplay are spot on, and is very legit. The way I see it, HOW someone wants to approach the game is an individual's choice, and it's not ours to judge. Want to get em all? Awesome. What to get one per element? Great. Only want to get all of them or none at all? Want to only collect legendary figures? Only want female skylanders? Sure. I care not.

Legitimate beef about giving us more content is something I hope both teams work on in the future, as I'm sure that will help play into how many characters a customer decides to get, or in the OP's case...none. I have no vested interest if someone comes here and criticizes. Neither should Activision...as they'll need data points if there's a sharp decline in figure purchases.
---
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 23:59:52 31/03/2015 by GhostRoaster
#30 Posted: 00:14:01 01/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Well said Ghostroaster.

I loved the hunt and collecting of the figures... up to a point.

The limited release numbers of figures and the focus on figures instead of the games has basically brought me to this decision.

I loved playing the games, but like Fonzie... I believe with Trap Team the developers have "jumped the shark".

I'll visit the Skylands in the future I'm sure. I've got close to 300 figures if you include rares and variants so they're not going to sit idle.

I've just decided to move on to other games and put my money into other things...

Hennessey + Stingray + Supercharger = 750hp monster
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:16:13 01/04/2015 by INTIMIDAT3R
#31 Posted: 00:18:39 01/04/2015
Then don't collect? Just play the games? What's so hard about just buying the game and not any other new figures?
Your tone in the first post was that you were leaving the fandom for good.
---
#32 Posted: 03:01:56 01/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Leaving the Skylands, but not the fandom.

That would be like saying I'm not going to be a Rams' fan cuz they haven't been good since Kurt Warner got traded or saying I'm not going to be a Dale Earnhardt fan just cuz he's went to be on God's race team.

I'm just not going to get more Skylander games and figures. Four games and nearly 300 figures are enough.

I've got games that I bought 4 years ago I haven't even opened yet cuz I've spent these last few years collecting and visiting the Skylands.

Other than powering up my latest figures, I've been spending my time in Germany and North Africa sniping Nazi's in Elite Sniper 2 & 3.

I'd also like to break out Gears of War 3 and finally play that too. It's still shrink wrapped and I bought it on it's release day.

The argument is that OP is quitting because Activision releases too many figures to collect. Think I already said my points and Drek said them ever better,so just clarifying there.

NO WHERE in my original or subsequent posts did I ever say I was leaving cuz there were too many figures.

I said there was too much emphasis on the figures and not enough on gameplay and larger envirnments.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 08:27:44 01/04/2015 by INTIMIDAT3R
juarmo Blue Sparx Gems: 749
#33 Posted: 07:29:11 03/04/2015
I consider myself to have a lot of OCD aspects.
But not to the point I HAVE to fill holes in a cardboard holder.

I'll say it again, there is no problem if you want to but every single figure and every single trap, but don't try to justify it with a "there are 6 villains, so I have to buy 6 traps, because, OCD", or "that slightly different colored Skylander looks totally different, compared to the one I already own".
It's your conscious choice to do that.

I have no problem in saying that I don't buy variants, of any kind, simply because I consider them to be re-thought versions of the standard characters.
In my head, Nitro Krypt King doesn't even exist.
What are those colors...? Do they make sense, with the character...?

Some variants are cool, even for my tastes, but I cannot help but see them as "weird" versions of characters I already own.
Now, if they were in-game skins, that you unlock with treasure, I might think about getting few of them... But, real money...?
Nope.

Do you think Activision expects every single customer to buy every single toy and trap...?
I don't think so.
They would extremely like that, but that doesn't mean it's what they expect.
It's just what they would want.

Skylanders is about choice. It has always been about choice.
The majority of the customers aren't adult or teen collectors, with tons of money to spend on ultra-rare variants, they are families, who tipically are fine with just 15 or 20 toys, not even one per Element, sometimes.

I will never prefer a Lightcore, a palette swap, a repose or even a Mini over the original character.
I would only buy a S2/3/4 if the original character was nowhere to be found, and luckily, this has never happened, yet.

Wait what? I'm Confused! You like the concept of Eon's elite, but NOT S2/S3/S4/recolors?

Quote: drek95

...Never mind on the recolors/S2/S3/4 I think the S2/S3/S4 variants as weird versions of them as well, the only ones I like so far are the ORANGE based S2 figurines... (the addons to those are nice touches, and they are more detailed without going overboard... [they use the upgraded versions of the character, mostly, {and spyro's Wing Armor has NEVER looked odd to me, only cool, and I was a LIL peeved at first, because I didn't know it was even obtainable in-game through his Wow-Pow, cause I STILL don't have one mahself... but since I have Giants and now EE spyro, I should be able to test it...}])
Also, Dark Spyro is a throwback to the Legend of Spyro Series, and (the S1 version, anyway [this DEFINITELY doesn't apply to S3 Dark Spyro]), has a different moveset in the 3DS versions (at least in Spyro's Adventure and Giants, not sure about SWAP Force or Trap Team 3DS), and (AGAIN, S1 ONLY) had a different catchphrase in Universe ("Light's Out!" instead of "All Fired Up!") which I think was true in 3DS games as well...
and was listed as a separate character on the 3DS poster of S:SA...
So, I wouldn't think of Dark Spyro as a "Weird Version" of Spyro... I could see NON-dark variants, maybe... Even OTHER darks, to a lesser extent...
THE LEGENDARY Skylanders aren't EVEN supposed to be that skylander, they're supposed to be STATUES of that skylander that INEXPLICABLY come to life with that character's personality/voice, when sent through a portal... they are essentially clones of "elite" skylanders that can be sent in to do a job that needs a skylander of a specific caliber, when all of those skylanders are indisposed..
---
My dream in life is to steamroll Skylanders Imaginators on Nightmare difficulty with only a Level 60 Sir Hoodington with maximum Fire Elemental Power
#34 Posted: 08:16:28 03/04/2015
I'm working on getting the following: 10 trap masters, 1 of each element,, currently: have 3/10 (Dark, Light, Water) 12 traps, 1 each element, + Ultimate Kaos (I want to capture Kaos on Nightmare Mode with an Ultimate Kaos Trap... a Symbolic Gesture, really...), 5/11 (Dark, Light, Water, Life, and Kaos [!] [normal version...])
I currently have ~100$ to work with... so imma wait a lil' while... (can't spend all of it, so...)
BUT... I WOULD spend it on Eon's Elite in a HEARTBEAT... Only, I have all that I want AND can use against Kaos... (now, to decide whether I want to finish the SSA Starter Trio for Function or Stealth Elf for Form...)
Also... I want the two Adventure Packs, since I already have BOTH expansions... which i'll need to 100% my nightmare file... (the one I'm ACTUALLY going to 100%)
---
My dream in life is to steamroll Skylanders Imaginators on Nightmare difficulty with only a Level 60 Sir Hoodington with maximum Fire Elemental Power
Phoenix_Lord Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#35 Posted: 19:02:01 03/04/2015
juarmo....don't double post...thats what the "Edit" tab is for.
---
Theres no SuperChargers Cards. So I'm making my own... smilie
#36 Posted: 23:26:01 03/04/2015
Never said I liked EEs.

They are just another, more "sophisticated", form of variants.
But at least, I have to say that they provide a consistent, even if exaggerated, power improvement.

Dark Spyro is only the exception that confirms the rule.
No matter how much they give a logic or deep explanation on how some variants came to be, I will always see them as some kind of "fake" copy of the original.

I know it's dumb, childish and illogical, but that's just how I see them.
As I said, some of them look really cool, but why would I want to but a Mega Ram Spyro, If I already own the original SA's figure...?
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:50:52 04/04/2015 by Drek95
#37 Posted: 01:03:16 04/04/2015
I'm at least glad they gave Legendary Skylanders a place in lore. Have they ever explained why Magna Charge has a custom Nitro paint job? As a robot it isn't too weird. But what about Freeze Blade or Headrush? Why is Star Strike sporting a different set of robes at Wal*Mart? Why does Countdown like soccer so much?

I do think Jade Fire Kracken was a nice nod to Chinese culture, though.
---
Unique Character roster:
#38 Posted: 01:15:53 04/04/2015
As I said, some of them look really cool, but why would I want to but a Mega Ram Spyro, If I already own the original SA's figure...?

How you collect / buy figures is up to you. I salute you for saying what your preferences are. Wear it like a badge.
---
#39 Posted: 09:55:45 04/04/2015
Quote: ShinkenRed
I'm at least glad they gave Legendary Skylanders a place in lore. Have they ever explained why Magna Charge has a custom Nitro paint job? As a robot it isn't too weird. But what about Freeze Blade or Headrush? Why is Star Strike sporting a different set of robes at Wal*Mart? Why does Countdown like soccer so much?

I do think Jade Fire Kracken was a nice nod to Chinese culture, though.

They actually gave a small explanation, about Kickoff Countdown.
I think it had something to do with the World Cup, and how much everyone on Earth was excited about it, so, eventually, he got excited too.

Something along these lines.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#40 Posted: 15:01:23 06/04/2015
I made a big purchase @ GameStop.com, so now, I'm at: Trap Masters: 6/10 (Dark, Light, Water, Tech, Life, and Air) traps: 5/12 (Dark, Light, Water, Life, Fire, Magic, Tech, and Kaos)
(I want to capture Kaos on Nightmare Mode with an Ultimate Kaos Trap... a Symbolic Gesture, really...), I currently have ~100$ to work with... so imma wait a lil' while... (can't spend all of it, so...)
Also... I want the two Adventure Packs, since I already have BOTH expansions... which i'll need to 100% my nightmare file... (the one I'm ACTUALLY going to 100%)
So, I'm 2/2 Expansion Packs
0/2 Adventure Packs
and 2/8 Eon's Elite (Spyro and Chop Chop)
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me