Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Where are the Lightcores ?
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#1 Posted: 08:02:12 29/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Is there an LED shortage or something ? Why toss out a unique idea like that ?
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:07:13 29/03/2015 by Dark fhoenix
Iganagor Emerald Sparx Gems: 3552
#2 Posted: 08:21:37 29/03/2015
The Sunscraper Spire and Midnight Museum light up

But, that is pretty pathetic
---
Summoning a STUNFISK
1. Go to a beach - 2. Fall flat on the ground - 3. Recite Stunfisks fart-cry
4. Flop 618 times - You have a STUNFISK!
wild_defender Green Sparx Gems: 465
#3 Posted: 08:28:08 29/03/2015
With the extra price I don't think light core characters were that successful. it would've been most successful in Giants , but swap force didn't seem to sell them as well as Giants.

They'll probly just save it for really special new things like they did for the light and dark expansion packs.

I thought they copped out, they should really have made the trap masters light core to match the traps lighting up.

Also the traps are basically light core . Making more actually light core characters for trap team would've out shined the trap effects and made them pretty dull.
---
Anyone else think Short Cut should be making jokes about running with scissors?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:34:57 29/03/2015 by wild_defender
WickedRogue Gold Sparx Gems: 2725
#4 Posted: 08:50:39 29/03/2015
When they were here people complained that they didn't want them, when they are gone people complain that they want them.
---
Elite Skystones Set Complete.
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#5 Posted: 10:55:18 29/03/2015
I'm fine with Lightcores, I simply don't buy them.
I doubt they take out too much time, from developing brand new Skylanders or the game itself.

They should have REALLY made the Trap Masters Lightcores.
Dynamic ones.
When near a trappable villain, or a Traptanium shard, they should have made their weapons glow according to the game.

A really missed opportunity.
As of now, I don't know if they are worth 15€/$...
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
wild_defender Green Sparx Gems: 465
#6 Posted: 11:07:59 29/03/2015
Exactly, the trap master weapons should've been light core. Or at least the TM symbol on all their bodies. Or even just glow in the dark paint or something.

It's just so disappointing trap masters arnt anything special as a group toywise ( And don't have a great purpose in game ), coz they are actually really cool characters with a lot of unique abilities.
---
Anyone else think Short Cut should be making jokes about running with scissors?
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#7 Posted: 14:25:47 29/03/2015
Quote: WickedRogue
When they were here people complained that they didn't want them, when they are gone people complain that they want them.

Pretty much. I'm a bit worried about a figure's longevity using the technology. No actual evidence, other than perosnal experience and those shared here on figures that die tend to be lightcores.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#8 Posted: 14:31:44 29/03/2015
But also very specific ones. I don't remember anyone saying that a figure from Swap Force's lights died out, or the LC Hex that everyone but me has stopped glowing.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 15:03:31 29/03/2015 by Bifrost
#9 Posted: 14:34:28 29/03/2015
Well time does tell the tale on Swap Force. Grim Creeper's lights were so dim it's really bad. I don't have information on fail specifics. But still, specific or not, they tend to be lightcores.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Street50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2060
#10 Posted: 15:37:16 29/03/2015
I prefer light core over series 1 figure but I'd rather have the ability to switch paths over the bomb ability.
#11 Posted: 16:49:35 29/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote:
Grim Creeper's lights were so dim it's really bad.

My grim creepy is very bright . My LC Smolder Dash on the other hand is very very very dim .
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:50:15 29/03/2015 by Dark fhoenix
#12 Posted: 17:34:07 29/03/2015
Quote: Street50
I prefer light core over series 1 figure but I'd rather have the ability to switch paths over the bomb ability.

That's another downfall of lightcores, you'll never be able to switch paths with them. Function over form will win the day.

My personal opinion...lightcore took too much R/D and/or too much to implement...so although cool not worth their time...so they dropped em. I think they will make another round, but it will be very precise on where and how they use it...like on the location pieces in the light/dark sets.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:37:02 29/03/2015 by GhostRoaster
#13 Posted: 17:37:16 29/03/2015
Quote: wild_defender
Exactly, the trap master weapons should've been light core. Or at least the TM symbol on all their bodies. Or even just glow in the dark paint or something.

It's just so disappointing trap masters arnt anything special as a group toywise ( And don't have a great purpose in game ), coz they are actually really cool characters with a lot of unique abilities.

Exactly, that's my "gripe" with them.
Giants constantly glow, Swappers can swap, Trap Masters... Are bigger... Have all a big clear item... And nothing else.
That's why I tend to consider them an "half baked" gimmick.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#14 Posted: 17:40:53 29/03/2015
^And the traptanium weapons "glow" when they are near crystals...can you imagine if they pulled off "conditional" lightcore based on in game events? That would've been SWEET.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:41:18 29/03/2015 by GhostRoaster
#15 Posted: 17:44:09 29/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote:
That's another downfall of lightcores, you'll never be able to switch paths with them. Function over form will win the day.

I would consider an extra power more important then "path switch" function . You dont save more then 20 minutes of your life doing that .
---
#16 Posted: 17:57:55 29/03/2015
The one time flash? Don't consider it a power really--maybe if I could control it and/or have a recharge...sure. And area of impact has been inconsistent across developers. I'd rather use my location pieces for that, since the lightcore roster is pretty light (and my faves aren't in it).
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:59:18 29/03/2015 by GhostRoaster
#17 Posted: 18:27:21 29/03/2015
Quote: GhostRoaster
^And the traptanium weapons "glow" when they are near crystals...can you imagine if they pulled off "conditional" lightcore based on in game events? That would've been SWEET.

Exactly!

Dynamic light technology would be an interesting evolution of the Lightcore concept.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
The Bone Chompy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1201
#18 Posted: 14:17:59 30/03/2015
They flopped. Not many fans wanted a lighting up figure in real life, that also lit up in game, for a few extra bucks. Tbh, the main kind of people who got them were hardcore collectors.
---
^This might be sarcasm.
obidawsn Gold Sparx Gems: 2901
#19 Posted: 14:30:46 30/03/2015
I saw that TRU had a sale, recently, for B1G1 for $1 lightcores. I have a feeling they want to get rid of them. So that may bring credence to them not selling well.
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#20 Posted: 17:59:22 30/03/2015
I'm just glad that I got the LC versions of Flashwing, Legendary Grim Creeper, and Enchanted Star Strike.
BP Blue Sparx Gems: 631
#21 Posted: 21:33:08 30/03/2015
I just think Activision decided there was too much to sell this time around.

In the past you had:
24-32 Cores
8 Lightcores (most of which were repeats of the core figures)
8-16 Premium Figures (Giants or Swap Force) and
2-4 Expansion Packs

So, 40 to 56 Figures plus expansions.

With Trap Team, you have:
23 Cores
16 Minis
18 Trap Masters
4 Expansion Packs and
54 Traps

That is 57 Figures plus expansions PLUS 54 traps. If you add another 10 figures for lightcores (because light and dark would probably have them too), that is probably bordering on ridiculous.
#22 Posted: 22:16:25 30/03/2015
No, the ridiculous train left long ago. Not that I'm being forced to buy them (or whatever comeback someone might have).
---
Friendzie Blue Sparx Gems: 611
#23 Posted: 05:53:51 31/03/2015
There was a lot of discussion on a recent topic about the fact that lightcore Skylanders have a much higher failure rate than normal ones. The theory was that somehow powering the light was messing with the chip. I don't know if this is true, but a lot of people on this forum had broken Giants and other lightcores over the last couple years.
#24 Posted: 12:07:11 31/03/2015
Quote: Friendzie
There was a lot of discussion on a recent topic about the fact that lightcore Skylanders have a much higher failure rate than normal ones. The theory was that somehow powering the light was messing with the chip. I don't know if this is true, but a lot of people on this forum had broken Giants and other lightcores over the last couple years.

Right. It's not antectodal. We as cutomers are comparing notes, and the ones that are failing are lightcores. The one that has failed for me was a lightcore and a Giant. Maybe if we get enough data points we'll know if it was specific characters which may tie into lightcore design or manufacturing flaw. Just not enough data to suggest that. But I think we're good to say lightcores do not seem to play well with the concept of chip longevity.
---
#25 Posted: 13:56:11 31/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote:
The theory was that somehow powering the light was messing with the chip.

Never heard of that one . I do know about the LED,s not working but thats about it . How do you compare that to say normal cores that stop working ?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:57:29 31/03/2015 by Dark fhoenix
SirKev7 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1251
#26 Posted: 14:49:43 31/03/2015
I'm personally glad that their gone. I never really liked them. They were okay-ish in Giants but I just started to hate them in Swap Force
#27 Posted: 17:12:23 31/03/2015
Quote: SirKev7
I'm personally glad that their gone. I never really liked them. They were okay-ish in Giants but I just started to hate them in Swap Force

Main problem being they used them on existing characters that you've already bought (series 1 swap force) and what should've been a series 2 (Warnado) with a new wow pow.
---
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#28 Posted: 17:25:44 31/03/2015
they "saw the light" smilie
#29 Posted: 02:28:24 05/04/2015
maybe it's just me but I think they got really lazy with them in Swap Force, I think they only decent looking lightcore was Star Strike.

For all the complaints I've heard about Drobot being the worst (unquestionably they could have done more with him) Flashwing has to be the most boring of all the lightcores. she just seems like the most cheapest made Lightcore.
LordsOfSkulls Green Sparx Gems: 219
#30 Posted: 06:22:53 05/04/2015
HONESTLY.

what Activision should do... is make lightcores have all the same abilities as normal series of figures. That are just in cooler poses and light up.

Heck to be honest. I think ALL FIGURES forward should be LIGHTCORES with WoW Abilities and Ability to Switch Path.

Cause honestly i been skipping every single light core. Because while i love how they light up and it pretty cool on my Giants. I dont think they worth lose of some features from the game.

So ya it would had been SUPER SUPER SWEET if ALL Trap Master's Weapons would FULLY Glow.... THAT would Make Trap Masters even more Awesome to Buy.
---
The Mind Is The Slayer Of Reality - LoS
#31 Posted: 10:09:14 05/04/2015 | Topic Creator
An LED in a TrapMaster weapon probably would have pushed the price up by another 50 % at least .
---
#32 Posted: 12:39:24 05/04/2015
Quote: Dark fhoenix
An LED in a TrapMaster weapon probably would have pushed the price up by another 50 % at least .

would there be reason to however? Giants had the light up and the trap masters for the most part are just Giants with Weapons and the plastic itself is cheaper.
#33 Posted: 15:56:53 05/04/2015

Sorry, I don't buy that the Trap Master's figures are already worth 15€/$.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#34 Posted: 16:17:06 05/04/2015
Quote: Street50

would there be reason to however? Giants had the light up and the trap masters for the most part are just Giants with Weapons and the plastic itself is cheaper.

Correct. The price of the Trap Master is ALREADY at a price where a LED SHOULD be present already. If they did something new/cool that would be something else, but Giants already set the $14.99 (or $16.99 if at TRU)/lightcore precedence. Although, they don't seem to mind bumping the price every year. I guess until we vote with our wallets, I would assume the trend will continue.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:17:25 05/04/2015 by GhostRoaster
Phoenix_Lord Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#35 Posted: 17:44:32 05/04/2015
^Agree with Drek an GhostRoaster...they should have the LED's in them already...and there is no mark up Dark fhoenix...they are already marked up....it cost around $4 or $5 bucks(or less)to make each one....less for the smaller figures.
---
Theres no SuperChargers Cards. So I'm making my own... smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:45:08 05/04/2015 by Phoenix_Lord
Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
#36 Posted: 07:07:39 07/04/2015
LED's on a scale the size of the Skylanders would amount to pennies since they are cheaper than dirt and they've never had a separate power source so it's simply a matter of getting them in the figs.

For reference:

http://www.electron.com/leds/leds-by-color/
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:10:33 07/04/2015 by Tigorus
#37 Posted: 14:06:30 07/04/2015
Quote: Phoenix_Lord
^Agree with Drek an GhostRoaster...they should have the LED's in them already...and there is no mark up Dark fhoenix...they are already marked up....it cost around $4 or $5 bucks(or less)to make each one....less for the smaller figures.

In quantities: I think you'd be surprised how cheap these really are. I'm struggling with a price greater than $2.
---
Phoenix_Lord Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#38 Posted: 16:12:26 07/04/2015
Quote: Phoenix_Lord

In quantities: I think you'd be surprised how cheap these really are. I'm struggling with a price greater than $2.

I just put up a number up for example purposes..didn't want to freak Dark fhoenix out...mark up is useraly WAY OVER 100%. All companys do it(somewhere closer to 300%....or higher)...wouldn't be suprised if they cost under a $1 to make since they are made in bulk.
---
Theres no SuperChargers Cards. So I'm making my own... smilie
#39 Posted: 17:16:42 07/04/2015
The point is all the figures are worth a quite higher price than the production cost, because you don't pay for the figure itself (that would be a robbery), you also pay for the in-game character, that can be upgraded and gives you new playstyles and a lot more replayability (usually, it changed a lot with each entry, but the basse are still there).

The point is I accept to pay 10$/€ for the Cores, they are worth it.
And I accept to pay 15$/€ for Giants and Swappers, because the former light up, and give something consistently new to the general gameplay, and the others have a really advanced technology, coupled with a physycal figure enhancement.

I think Trap Master's figures are not worth that price, because they have literally nothing different from Cores (except for the size; transparent weapons or parts, you say...? Oh, Zoo Lou, Trap Shadow, Prism Break and Grim Creeper say hi!).
And even in-game, they are just slightly tweaked Giants, after all, but they still manage to be unique enough... in-game.

If only they could mirror that "uniqueness" with their figures, too...
A dynamic LED would have really made the difference, at least for me...
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#40 Posted: 17:38:42 07/04/2015
Quote: Drek95
The point is all the figures are worth a quite higher price than the production cost, because you don't pay for the figure itself (that would be a robbery), you also pay for the in-game character, that can be upgraded and gives you new playstyles and a lot more replayability (usually, it changed a lot with each entry, but the basse are still there).

And I accept to pay 15$/€ for Giants and Swappers, because the former light up, and give something consistently new to the general gameplay, and the others have a really advanced technology, coupled with a physycal figure enhancement.

I think Trap Master's figures are not worth that price, because they have literally nothing different from Cores (except for the size; transparent weapons or parts, you say...? Oh, Zoo Lou, Trap Shadow, Prism Break and Grim Creeper say hi!).
And even in-game, they are just slightly tweaked Giants, after all, but they still manage to be unique enough... in-game.

I agree and the fact that the weapons glow in game when near villains and Traptanium seems like a no brainer that the weapons would have lit up on the figure. That's why I personally feel that the Trap Masters provide the least value for the price and that they are REQUIRED in Trap Team to unlock content makes it sting a little more.
#41 Posted: 18:16:31 07/04/2015
Quote: Tigorus

I agree and the fact that the weapons glow in game when near villains and Traptanium seems like a no brainer that the weapons would have lit up on the figure. That's why I personally feel that the Trap Masters provide the least value for the price and that they are REQUIRED in Trap Team to unlock content makes it sting a little more.

At least they had the idea to couple it with the trap gimmick, and focus more on that concept. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Akseyomiht Yellow Sparx Gems: 1494
#42 Posted: 05:35:26 08/04/2015
Just to be clear, hiding a led inside a clear sculpture is nearly impossible, the led will be always visible making the figure ugly.

Well time does tell the tale on Swap Force. Grim Creeper's lights were so dim it's really bad. I don't have information on fail specifics. But still, specific or not, they tend to be lightcores.

Granite Crusher you say?
#43 Posted: 06:09:55 08/04/2015
Quote: Akseyomiht
Just to be clear, hiding a led inside a clear sculpture is nearly impossible, the led will be always visible making the figure ugly.

Oh, I'm sure they could have found a way.

Like hiding them inside the nearest opaque part of the figure, such as the hands, or the helmets, and then make it glow throught the transparent weapon.
They could have even changed the poses.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#44 Posted: 06:12:59 08/04/2015
Quote: Akseyomiht

Oh, I'm sure they could have found a way.

Like hiding them inside the nearest opaque part of the figure, such as the hands, or the helmets, and then make it glow throught the transparent weapon.
They could have even changed the poses.

Yeah I don't think it would have been that hard oi hide a l.e.d. in the hand/hands of the Trap Masters since they have a larger size.
juarmo Blue Sparx Gems: 749
#45 Posted: 11:25:50 08/04/2015

I do!
That detail though... You can't deny how cool Knight Light and Knight Mare look smilie Figurines of ESTABLISHED characters that do NOTHING would easily go for TRIPLE that at a comic book store with that level of detail...
---
My dream in life is to steamroll Skylanders Imaginators on Nightmare difficulty with only a Level 60 Sir Hoodington with maximum Fire Elemental Power
#46 Posted: 12:16:47 08/04/2015
Quote: juarmo

I do!
That detail though... You can't deny how cool Knight Light and Knight Mare look smilie Figurines of ESTABLISHED characters that do NOTHING would easily go for TRIPLE that at a comic book store with that level of detail...

Nothing different from a lot of Cores (Blackout, Rocky Roll, Déjà Vu).
When you make something cost more than something else, you have to give a reason.

The figures are just bigger Cores.
Worth 10€/$. Nothing more, in my opinion.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#47 Posted: 14:44:22 08/04/2015
Quote: juarmo

I do!

Nothing different from a lot of Cores (Blackout, Rocky Roll, Déjà Vu).
When you make something cost more than something else, you have to give a reason.

The figures are just bigger Cores.
Worth 10€/$. Nothing more, in my opinion.

Yeah I could have maybe seen like $12 for the extra plastic. I mean Giants were huge and they lit up. Swap Force were slightly larger than cores but smaller than Giants. They did have extra tech though having an extra RFID chip and magnets holding them together so the cost was justified. Trap Masters are just bigger than cores having neither lights or extra chips. They do have the increased price tag of a Giant or Swapper though. That's why for me Trap Team is so strange in that we lost so many features yet the cost was the same and now it's even true at the figure level...lol.
darkchylde28 Gold Sparx Gems: 2175
#48 Posted: 15:43:47 08/04/2015
Yeah I could have maybe seen like $12 for the extra plastic. I mean Giants were huge and they lit up. Swap Force were slightly larger than cores but smaller than Giants. They did have extra tech though having an extra RFID chip and magnets holding them together so the cost was justified. Trap Masters are just bigger than cores having neither lights or extra chips. They do have the increased price tag of a Giant or Swapper though. That's why for me Trap Team is so strange in that we lost so many features yet the cost was the same and now it's even true at the figure level...lol.

While I mostly agree with all of the sentiments regarding Trap Masters being overpriced, I have to point out that they're definitely using at least two different types of plastic in their figures, what I would assume to be the standard one used for core figures and bodies of Giants, Lightcores, etc., and another for the Traptanium weapons. Since the plastics are different, they would have to be produced separately, adding an additional cost there as well as an additional cost to get them into the hands of their respective Trap Masters, either through manual assembly or specialized automation (or even with the Trap Masters being molded around the weapons themselves--I haven't looked closely enough at each figure's hands to tell). Additionally, and this might be purely anecdotal, the Trap Masters feel a lot heavier and solid than previous figures. Whereas we know that the Giants were more or less hollow, the Trap Masters feel like they've been molded solidly, leading to a lot more plastic than what might have been used to produce a Giant.

While pretty much all Skylanders could be deemed overpriced when compared to the barebones manufacturing costs, especially when those costs per unit are broken down against millions of figures produced, I'm thinking that there's more than meets the eye to the cost justification of the Trap Masters. I'd love for them to be cheaper too, but they honestly feel like a better product than what we've had in the past in terms of heft, durability, etc. (shrug) That's my $0.02, take it as you will.

-Doug
---
SSA: Complete, SG: Complete, SSF: Complete, STT: Complete (Save Yawn Traps), SSC: Complete (To Date) + Various Chase/Promotional Variants
#49 Posted: 16:14:14 08/04/2015
Quote: darkchylde28

While I mostly agree with all of the sentiments regarding Trap Masters being overpriced, I have to point out that they're definitely using at least two different types of plastic in their figures, what I would assume to be the standard one used for core figures and bodies of Giants, Lightcores, etc., and another for the Traptanium weapons. Since the plastics are different, they would have to be produced separately, adding an additional cost there as well as an additional cost to get them into the hands of their respective Trap Masters, either through manual assembly or specialized automation (or even with the Trap Masters being molded around the weapons themselves--I haven't looked closely enough at each figure's hands to tell). Additionally, and this might be purely anecdotal, the Trap Masters feel a lot heavier and solid than previous figures. Whereas we know that the Giants were more or less hollow, the Trap Masters feel like they've been molded solidly, leading to a lot more plastic than what might have been used to produce a Giant.

While pretty much all Skylanders could be deemed overpriced when compared to the barebones manufacturing costs, especially when those costs per unit are broken down against millions of figures produced, I'm thinking that there's more than meets the eye to the cost justification of the Trap Masters. I'd love for them to be cheaper too, but they honestly feel like a better product than what we've had in the past in terms of heft, durability, etc. (shrug) That's my $0.02, take it as you will.

-Doug

Yeah I hear you on the production cost but I think it's the price point on the Trap Team figures compared to previous gimmick figures is what has us scratching out head. I have no clue how much transparent plastic costs compared to opaque so I'm not gonna touch that one. I can also admit that the sculpts on the Trap Masters are truly impressive. Looking at Knight Light, Wallop and Bush Wackwhack, to name a few, they are really detailed and stand out compared to Giants. Again no actual knowledge to the actual cost of this crap, just imposing my logic based on limited knowledge to what I think it should be compared to previous generations with fancier gimmicks. I'm still saying they should have been $11.99 - $12.99. It's strange too because TRU has them for $16.99, Gamestop for $15.99 and Target, Best Buy and Walmart are $14.99. That's quite the spread when cores are either $10.99 (TRU only I think) and $9.99 everywhere else.
#50 Posted: 16:28:51 08/04/2015
I've already voiced that I think I'm on the side that I think Trap Masters SHOULD have had the LED I don't feel there was any excuse not to have it.
While I think the Trap masters turned out to be some of the best Skylanders ever. People were almost forced to buy them only to unlock the elemental gates. Otherwise there really wasn't anything more special about them over the cores.
I'd personally vote that all Gimmick skylanders in the future should include the LED like the Giants did, No exceptions.

The weapons themselves were just so cheap that these have been the only skylanders to date that i've seen racks full of broken skylanders mostly the weapons but sometimes it has been the head. I've not seen this with any of the cores (though trap teams cores DO look more cheap) or the giants.
I broke a Lgendary Bouncer however trying to get him out the first time. But i was chipping the base on a lot of the trap team skylanders, something that's never happened but here it's happened multiple times with the trap teams.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:30:28 08/04/2015 by Street50
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me