Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > The All Purpose Splatoon Topic!
First | Previous | Page 4 of 26 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24 25 26
The All Purpose Splatoon Topic!
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8399
#151 Posted: 14:46:56 30/05/2015
No seriously why can't you switch items in the lobby?
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7089
#152 Posted: 15:05:17 30/05/2015
Quote: somePerson

Because it's a first party Nintendo game with online and don't you know switching your set up in lobbies of those games isn't allowed? Just like how changing character/kart combo in the lobby in MK8 isn't allowed.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#153 Posted: 16:12:12 30/05/2015
Are there any other Squids I need to know about?
#Nobodywillgetthereference
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
zer0dch Ripto Gems: 1916
#154 Posted: 17:52:52 30/05/2015
Quote: sonicbrawler182

Because it's a first party Nintendo game with online and don't you know switching your set up in lobbies of those games isn't allowed? Just like how changing character/kart combo in the lobby in MK8 isn't allowed.

It should be allowed in a game like Splatoon. Either Nintendo is incompetent or they didn't think it was necessary (which is downright dumb).

For a game that is missing a **** load of content and features, its lucky that even IGN gave it a 7.9 (not that IGN is the holy miracle review site).

When you purchase a game for $60 that only comes with a mediocre 5 hour campaign and awful dictated map rotations, 4 guns, 5 maps, etc...I don't need to go on.

The game should have been at least $30 and pushed out to August so it would have had more content at release.

And yes, not having voice chat is stupid. Parents if needed could easily just disable it.

--

I'm really glad Nintendo is adventuring into new IP's...but not like this. The game community for this will be dead in a few weeks with how little you can do.

I know you guys won't like my posy, especially with my ****posting before the game was releases, but its true. The game is lacking in so many areas.
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#155 Posted: 17:55:39 30/05/2015
Quote: zer0dch

It should be allowed in a game like Splatoon. Either Nintendo is incompetent or they didn't think it was necessary (which is downright dumb).

For a game that is missing a **** load of content and features, its lucky that even IGN gave it a 7.9 (not that IGN is the holy miracle review site).

When you purchase a game for $60 that only comes with a mediocre 5 hour campaign and awful dictated map rotations, 4 guns, 5 maps, etc...I don't need to go on.

The game should have been at least $30 and pushed out to August so it would have had more content at release.

And yes, not having voice chat is stupid. Parents if needed could easily just disable it.

--

I'm really glad Nintendo is adventuring into new IP's...but not like this. The game community for this will be dead in a few weeks with how little you can do.

I know you guys won't like my posy, especially with my ****posting before the game was releases, but its true. The game is lacking in so many areas.

Kind of like Plants vs zombies garden warfare but that game was $30
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
#156 Posted: 18:05:08 30/05/2015
Yeah. I don't know who's brilliant idea it was to have the game cost $60 in the US.

It makes no sense about the map rotation. That's wtf worthy
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8506
#157 Posted: 18:15:44 30/05/2015
Yeah. I don't know who's brilliant idea it was to have the game cost $60 in the US.

The map rotation could be due to people getting tired of one map (like CoD players were tired of Nuketown because EVERYONE chose it).
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
#158 Posted: 18:42:45 30/05/2015
Quote: JCW555

The map rotation could be due to people getting tired of one map (like CoD players were tired of Nuketown because EVERYONE chose it).

No, just have a random playlist of maps. 2 maps every 4 hours is complete bull****.
#159 Posted: 18:49:52 30/05/2015
*snip*

I was making a joke. I think you should able to switch weapons in the lobby too, and I think Mario Kart 8 should allow you to change character/kart combo in the lobby after at least every 4 races.
---
MagicFizz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3551
#160 Posted: 19:20:39 30/05/2015
I have been playing this game for a solid 5 hours. I can confirm that this games is extremely fun. Maaaaybe not worth the $60 put still super enjoyable nonetheless.
---
My life is complete.
#161 Posted: 19:40:04 30/05/2015

But Nuketown is the best map. D:
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#162 Posted: 19:46:56 30/05/2015

But Nuketown is the best map. D:

Can confirm.
---
words. letters. filler.
#163 Posted: 19:48:13 30/05/2015
I won't lie. I religiously played a nuketown 24/7 playlist on PC on the original Black Ops all the time.
#164 Posted: 19:57:41 30/05/2015
Quote: MagicFizz
I have been playing this game for a solid 5 hours. I can confirm that this games is extremely fun. Maaaaybe not worth the $60 put still super enjoyable nonetheless.

Most people don't really have any objections to the game mechanics or the level design. It's just the content isn't really there right now, and to get extra content NOW, you have to buy figures that may be hard to find depending on where you live. Also the omission of essential online shooter features like voice chat and parties.

-----------

EDIT: OK so you know how I said that some of the maps they are holding back are actually finished but are being held back for arbitrary reasons?

Turns out I was right on the money.

[User Posted Image]

This is a photo of the official Splatoon guide book. Along with leaking some weapons, it also leaks 4 of the upcoming stage DLC.

Camp Triggerfish was shown prominently in the Splatoon Direct and was fully functional by the looks of it.

Kelp Dome and Bluefin Depot, however, are actually maps in single player. The latter of which is actually used for TWO story missions.

There is no reason for them to be held back when they are clearly done. I seriously think the developers are just being condescending at this point and holding back more complex stuff because they feel "players aren't ready".
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:45:07 30/05/2015 by sonicbrawler182
wickedrunt Yellow Sparx Gems: 1161
#165 Posted: 23:15:47 30/05/2015
is it just me or does anyone else find it annoying using the game pad?
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#166 Posted: 01:39:52 31/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Of course there wouldn't be any Mario Sunshine references in a game that used to be a Mario title and carries inspiration heavily from that game. Why would it? That would make no sense whatsoever!

Sigh...

Fine, I guess I'll take Miiverse's solution.

[User Posted Image]
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#167 Posted: 01:43:46 31/05/2015
Quote: LunarDistortion
Of course there wouldn't be any Mario Sunshine references in a game that used to be a Mario title and carries inspiration heavily from that game. Why would it? That would make no sense whatsoever!

Sigh...

Fine, I guess I'll take Miiverse's solution.

[User Posted Image]

That's awesome!
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#168 Posted: 02:03:22 31/05/2015
The "references" to Sunshine were very distant and most of which could be argued were forced by fans rather than actually intended to be references by the developers.
---
#169 Posted: 02:31:22 31/05/2015 | Topic Creator
The "references" to Sunshine were very distant and most of which could be argued were forced by fans rather than actually intended to be references by the developers.

Because the game that was originally a Mario game and involves Paint and Water heavily as gameplay elements, as well as using a gun for use of spraying one of those 2 elements has no connection whatsoever.
#170 Posted: 04:54:25 31/05/2015
Only 3 and got 1st in all matches. For some reason most of my teammates like to stay on their side of the map instead of going for more.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:35:12 31/05/2015 by somePerson
#171 Posted: 10:25:42 31/05/2015

Because the game that was originally a Mario game and involves Paint and Water heavily as gameplay elements, as well as using a gun for use of spraying one of those 2 elements has no connection whatsoever.

I didn't say it has absolutely no connection, but it's demeaning the game to expect or assume every little thing is or should be a reference to a much older game.

The concept of spraying a liquid around the environment did not debut with Sunshine, other games have done things like that before and since Sunshine (Conker's Bad Fur Day had segments where you had to get drunk and piss on things as part of puzzles, for example). Splatoon is another game that happens to use that action and do it's own thing with it. That doesn't make it a reference to Sunshine. It was a Mario game originally and early on, but they completely did it over and changed the direction they took it in. Lots of games do this. That doesn't mean every little thing in the game thereafter is a reference to that game it was originally going to be. Quite the opposite in fact.

Splatoon has it's own identity, and should be judged as such. Yeah there are some minor similarities to Sunshine, but I can say the same about the single player having some similarities to the Galaxy games (small hub world, Super Jump Pads being like Launch Stars, most levels take place above a chasm, etc). That doesn't mean these similarities are an intentional reference to Galaxy either.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:30:09 31/05/2015 by sonicbrawler182
#172 Posted: 14:32:26 31/05/2015
Do we have enough members to make a DarkSpyro game?
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3251
#173 Posted: 15:29:28 31/05/2015
Do we have enough members to make a DarkSpyro game?

Sign me up.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#174 Posted: 15:39:00 31/05/2015
sign me up for a dS match. NNID is BluCrystal. I'm actually good at this game.
#175 Posted: 15:51:17 31/05/2015
In a match with Steven.
TTD Hunter Gems: 6169
#176 Posted: 16:13:55 31/05/2015
NNID is thetitaniumdrago.
Such a great game!
#177 Posted: 16:20:33 31/05/2015
Quote: TTD
Such a great game!

Sent you a request. Ready to play whenever anyone else is.
#178 Posted: 16:25:02 31/05/2015
Quote: ZapNorris
sign me up for a dS match. NNID is BluCrystal. I'm actually good at this game.

Quote: TTD
Such a great game!

Sent request as Uselessguy12. :3
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#179 Posted: 16:43:29 31/05/2015
Daddy_Hill here! Getting Splatoon in at least a few days!
(It is my dad's)
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
#180 Posted: 16:45:37 31/05/2015
Hang on I need to buy weapons and add Sleepy.
#181 Posted: 16:51:09 31/05/2015
Bloddy Walleye Warehouse. >.>
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#182 Posted: 16:53:48 31/05/2015
I hate saltspray rig.
#183 Posted: 16:56:20 31/05/2015
Quote: ZapNorris
I hate saltspray rig.

That's actually my favourite map, next to Urchin Underpass of course.
#184 Posted: 17:00:05 31/05/2015
Next map is warehouse just watch.
Sleepy0429 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#185 Posted: 17:01:33 31/05/2015
(In all honesty I will only be playing Smash until my mom goes to the store. But I can't wait to get it!)
---
dark52 let me change my username you coward
#186 Posted: 17:13:08 31/05/2015
Last game for me, guys.
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#187 Posted: 17:58:41 31/05/2015
On my birthday im getting the game.
I know so because
my mom ordered it on amazon
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
#188 Posted: 21:23:58 31/05/2015 | Topic Creator

I didn't say it has absolutely no connection, but it's demeaning the game to expect or assume every little thing is or should be a reference to a much older game.

The concept of spraying a liquid around the environment did not debut with Sunshine, other games have done things like that before and since Sunshine (Conker's Bad Fur Day had segments where you had to get drunk and piss on things as part of puzzles, for example). Splatoon is another game that happens to use that action and do it's own thing with it. That doesn't make it a reference to Sunshine. It was a Mario game originally and early on, but they completely did it over and changed the direction they took it in. Lots of games do this. That doesn't mean every little thing in the game thereafter is a reference to that game it was originally going to be. Quite the opposite in fact.

Splatoon has it's own identity, and should be judged as such. Yeah there are some minor similarities to Sunshine, but I can say the same about the single player having some similarities to the Galaxy games (small hub world, Super Jump Pads being like Launch Stars, most levels take place above a chasm, etc). That doesn't mean these similarities are an intentional reference to Galaxy either.

I never wanted or assumed that every little detail was in reference to Sunshine, I don't see how you got that. I said that I wanted at least a small detail referencing that game. It doesn't matter if it's as small as a Shadow Mario poster on a wall or some random "M" Grafitti placed around a map, that'd be wonderful. Splatoon should definitely stand in its own, but that doesn't mean you can't reference a pretty similar Nintendo title at the same time.

Sunshine was one of the first big Nintendo titles to use that gameplay mechanic though, and when Splatoon used to be a part of that same series, it had to have a bit of relevance to the games development early on, even if it was later scrapped. They could've easily put in a simple reference to that period of development. Not everything is in reference to Sunshine or that period of development, no, but I never said that and never wanted that. I want Splatoon to be Splatoon, not Sunshine 2. I just would've liked to see a nod to that time in development in the form of a tiny cameo.

The lack of Sunshine in Splatoon doesn't taint my thoughts on it, I agree that it shouldn't be judged by how many cameos or easter eggs it has. I again don't know how you thought that I was hating on Splatoon when honestly I really enjoy it. That doesn't mean that a reference to a similar older game wouldn't make it better, if only by a slight bit. I don't see how the similarities to Sunshine are "minor" when they use very similar gameplay mechanics and tone.
#189 Posted: 22:03:39 31/05/2015
Quote:
I don't see how the similarities to Sunshine are "minor" when they use very similar gameplay mechanics and tone.

...How?

The gameplay similarities end at "shooting liquid" (unless you want to grasp at straws and say "YOU CAN RUN AND JUMP IN BOTH GAMES"). The liquid you shoot does completely different things though and is interacted with in different ways, not to mention Splatoon has many different ways to shoot the ink. I wouldn't even call it a gameplay similarity there, I would really just call it a conceptual similarity. Like how driving a car to go fast and spinning in a ball to make Sonic go fast are conceptually similar at their core, but in practice the two are completely different.

As for tone, there is literally no similarity. Sunshine was set in a tropical atmosphere with peaceful but old fashioned NPCs. Splatoon is set in a modern, Akihabara inspired city location, with the tone being a mix between otaku culture and "2hip4u" 90's kids culture. Splatoon doesn't at all remind me of Sunshine in this respect.

I don't think any of these things were designed to reference Sunshine at all, they are independent building blocks of this game.

It's fine if you wanted more references to Sunshine but don't go saying that certain things are an intentional reference when they are merely a coincidental, conceptual similarity. It just makes you look like you arbitrarily want to connect this game to another one for no reason. Having Sunshine references or not doesn't effect the game's objective quality.
---
#190 Posted: 22:16:54 31/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote:
I don't see how the similarities to Sunshine are "minor" when they use very similar gameplay mechanics and tone.

...How?

The gameplay similarities end at "shooting liquid" (unless you want to grasp at straws and say "YOU CAN RUN AND JUMP IN BOTH GAMES"). The liquid you shoot does completely different things though and is interacted with in different ways, not to mention Splatoon has many different ways to shoot the ink. I wouldn't even call it a gameplay similarity there, I would really just call it a conceptual similarity. Like how driving a car to go fast and spinning in a ball to make Sonic go fast are conceptually similar at their core, but in practice the two are completely different.

As for tone, there is literally no similarity. Sunshine was set in a tropical atmosphere with peaceful but old fashioned NPCs. Splatoon is set in a modern, Akihabara inspired city location, with the tone being a mix between otaku culture and "2hip4u" 90's kids culture. Splatoon doesn't at all remind me of Sunshine in this respect.

I don't think any of these things were designed to reference Sunshine at all, they are independent building blocks of this game.

It's fine if you wanted more references to Sunshine but don't go saying that certain things are an intentional reference when they are merely a coincidental, conceptual similarity. It just makes you look like you arbitrarily want to connect this game to another one for no reason. Having Sunshine references or not doesn't effect the game's objective quality.

Yeah, I guess you're right about that. That was a pretty bad argument on my part. I kinda just added that one to the end without thinking it through to much. Can't win them all, they say.

Still hoping for a Delfino Plaza stage though! :P
#191 Posted: 22:35:28 31/05/2015
Quote: Pixilism
[User Posted Image]
-----

Hey look it's Sonicbrawler.
MagicFizz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3551
#192 Posted: 22:36:04 31/05/2015
Ermagerd I want to play Splatoon with you guys so bad... :,(

NNID is JoshuaR if you're interested in playing again!
---
My life is complete.
#193 Posted: 22:49:44 31/05/2015
I wouldn't mind a Sunshine level myself, it'd be a nice change of scenery. Crossover levels in general would be cool for Splatoon, but I don't want them to go too far. The game needs to retain it's identity, they don't want half of the hype for this new IP being that there is Mario and Zelda levels.

[User Posted Image]
-----

[User Posted Image]
---
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#194 Posted: 22:57:12 31/05/2015
Splatoon was featured on Culture Shock! It's pretty interesting, but I feel like Inkopolis is more of a mix of Times Square and Tokyo. I highly down it's in Japan as well.

---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#195 Posted: 22:59:00 31/05/2015
It's not IN Japan but as I said earlier, it's heavily inspired by the Akihabara district in Tokyo. Even the clothing for the characters is like that, and they have two moe divas in Cali (I think that's her name?) and Marie.
---
#196 Posted: 23:48:11 31/05/2015
I wouldn't mind a Sunshine level myself, it'd be a nice change of scenery. Crossover levels in general would be cool for Splatoon, but I don't want them to go too far. The game needs to retain it's identity, they don't want half of the hype for this new IP being that there is Mario and Zelda levels.

[User Posted Image]
-----

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

-----
#197 Posted: 23:53:44 31/05/2015
"How to tell zer0 visits /v/ too much"
---
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#198 Posted: 00:27:49 01/06/2015
[User Posted Image]
-----

marry me pixil
#199 Posted: 02:14:06 01/06/2015
"How to tell zer0 visits /v/ too much"

Ayy, you were the one that happened to post the frog first.

Your love for Rosalina is really weird tbh
First | Previous | Page 4 of 26 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24 25 26

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me