Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Lack of interest? [CLOSED]
Portal King Yellow Sparx Gems: 1324
#1 Posted: 12:09:58 22/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Hello everyone. I've been playing skylanders since spyros adventure. I've always found it fun and loved collecting the figures. Even went vacation to florida and the highlight was that I found doom stone. But during this winter after winterfest came out I kind of lost interest. I couldn't find the koas trap and the light/dark packs and I kind of gave up. Target closed ( I live in Canada ) my walmart has wave 1 and the only place that's up to date is ebgames. I still love skylanders and want to get back into it but I'm also thinking I'm going into high school next year and I don't know if I will have time to play. Anyone ever lost interest then came back again?
---
You need superchargers gear in Toronto? I'm your guy.
Add me on the wii u (Mario200) see ya on the track!
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#2 Posted: 12:48:17 22/03/2015
I didn't but I'm definately in a similar boat. TT will never be released in Brazil so I really have to pick VERY carefully who I'll get on Ebay and wait a month for. And with that, I kinda appreciate my team a little more, since my collection is pretty small.

But for just about any franchise, if you know you like it but can't bring youself to it, take a break, find something to shaken it up. Just like people who wait a few months to replay Minecraft with a new update,or they find great mods instead.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
ExcitonKnight Gold Sparx Gems: 2745
#3 Posted: 14:10:18 22/03/2015
I was in the exact same situation until I got smilie and smilie
---
Merry Christmas ya filthy animal
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#4 Posted: 15:09:21 22/03/2015
It happened, with SWAP Force, but only because I had just finished High School, and played it, like, 8 hours a day, for the entire Summer.
Then I took a one month break, because I went to the seaside with my parents, and when I came back, I couldn't have been happier to play it again! smilie

Now that I'm at the University I'm usually really busy, so when I have some free time, I'm always excited to play with Trap Team.
Even more, now that I have Blackout. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
INTIMIDAT3R Blue Sparx Gems: 857
#5 Posted: 15:25:05 22/03/2015
Their practice of limited releases, repackaging, low quality games(Trap Team), and lack of on-line co-op has made my interest move on to other games.

Once my Trap Team collection is complete, I'm leaving the Skylands and NOT coming back.
---
"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."--- 2 Timothy 4:7
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:26:54 22/03/2015 by INTIMIDAT3R
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#6 Posted: 16:00:01 22/03/2015
I lost interest in getting figures after i've got Thumpback back in Giants.
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#7 Posted: 16:04:56 22/03/2015
Quote: INTIMIDAT3R
Their practice of limited releases, repackaging, low quality games(Trap Team), and lack of on-line co-op has made my interest move on to other games.

Once my Trap Team collection is complete, I'm leaving the Skylands and NOT coming back.

This one didn't take long to finish and didn't provide much in the way to inviting me back for additional challenges. I was playing with Swap Force trying to get all the stars and doing quests well into the summer. Like others I lost interest basically in Jan just a few short weeks after I started playing it. Bad investment for someone collecting the figures.

In terms of "limited" releases, such as the early bird W4...they sell these "Rights" to retailers ...same thing for exclusive figures. I've accepted it, and have adapted to survive in those situations. Except for light/dark packs, and the debacle of W3, they've been pretty good in Giants/Swap Force in delivering the figures.

I have some faith in VV, but I think the suits will try and mold their game into another lukewarm experience. I've talked to other portal masters and think they are pretty much near the end of their rope as well. I've given them two games to up the ante in a number of areas. If they don't deliver on some my requested features, I'll be going cold turkey too. I'm expecting it because they think they have newer 6-12 year olds to lure in that they can get away with not having to worry about the loyal portal masters. However, with the cat out of the bag that this is a money sink I believe they'll have more leaving than coming in...
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 16:14:39 22/03/2015 by GhostRoaster
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#8 Posted: 17:01:27 22/03/2015
everything that could go wrong did go wrong with stt. so its no wonder people lose interests. i was out and checking the shops yesterday. there was no wave4 to see anywhere. there is a lot of swap force and some giants but trap team is nearly none existence. the talk on the town is all about the new 'toy' game from lego and disney infinity and starwars. i think skylanders5 will be the last game, skylanders dont have a chance against a new starwars craze and lego.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
GinjaNinja Gold Sparx Gems: 2604
#9 Posted: 18:18:02 22/03/2015
Quote: CountMoneyBone
everything that could go wrong did go wrong with stt. so its no wonder people lose interests. i was out and checking the shops yesterday. there was no wave4 to see anywhere. there is a lot of swap force and some giants but trap team is nearly none existence. the talk on the town is all about the new 'toy' game from lego and disney infinity and starwars. i think skylanders5 will be the last game, skylanders dont have a chance against a new starwars craze and lego.

Disney kind of proved though that just because they slap on a huge franchise into Infinity, ah la Marvel, it's not a good game. Correct me if I'm wrong, buy didn't Skylanders still outsell Disney Infinity this past year and holiday season? And from what I've seen, a large number of people are really disappointed with how Marvel was handled in Infinity. Skylanders is here to stay for a bit. It's Activision after all. Call of Duty sells less and less over the past few years, but they keep coming out. The same is gonna happen for Skylanders, because the fact still stands that its a three billion dollar franchise already with just four games. I am interested in that Lego game. Mind you I won't be getting it, one toys to life series is enough for me, but it'll be interesting nonetheless.
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#10 Posted: 18:23:45 22/03/2015
I just recently stopped buying STT figures, unless they are some crazy cheap deal, I'm just a little bored of it, and find yself playing the previous 3 games more often,

:/
sky-dragon Emerald Sparx Gems: 3206
#11 Posted: 18:43:48 22/03/2015
I lost little interest in the game cause lack of figures where I live and been playing other games but I often play skylanders when I have siblings or a party event I do love skylanders though smilie
---
"ryuujin no ken wo kurae!"
Buuzer Hunter Gems: 6546
#12 Posted: 18:45:46 22/03/2015
I play skylanders everyday xD
---
smilie smilie smilie youtube.com/user/GOWBuuzer smilie smilie smilie
#13 Posted: 18:46:36 22/03/2015
Quote: GinjaNinja

Disney kind of proved though that just because they slap on a huge franchise into Infinity, ah la Marvel, it's not a good game. Correct me if I'm wrong, buy didn't Skylanders still outsell Disney Infinity this past year and holiday season? And from what I've seen, a large number of people are really disappointed with how Marvel was handled in Infinity. Skylanders is here to stay for a bit. It's Activision after all. Call of Duty sells less and less over the past few years, but they keep coming out. The same is gonna happen for Skylanders, because the fact still stands that its a three billion dollar franchise already with just four games. I am interested in that Lego game. Mind you I won't be getting it, one toys to life series is enough for me, but it'll be interesting nonetheless.

Agree about all.

It almost seems that just because it will include Star Wars in it (has it been confirmed...?), Disney Infinity 3.0 will automatically be a great game.
Sure, it will most likely sell a lot, but will the customers be satisfied...?

I'm really interested about this LEGO Universes too, and while I won't buy it, for the same reason, I hope they will still continue with the regular game series, after that, because I love it, and wouldn't be a problem buying those titles. smilie

Skylanders won't stop at 5.
We are a minority, and the sales speak for themselves.
Don't know if it will become a Mario, a Zelda or a Pokémon, due to its "experimental" nature, but I'm confident it will be there for many many years to come... smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
TTD Hunter Gems: 6169
#14 Posted: 19:49:29 22/03/2015
i think skylanders5 will be the last game

People have always said that the next game will be the last one since SSA so don't count on it.

Quote: Buuzer
I play skylanders everyday xD

I play almost every day, I am still entertained by it and still don't get bored.
wild_defender Green Sparx Gems: 465
#15 Posted: 21:00:05 22/03/2015
Also isn't this normal ? With all games don't you just play them for a couple of months then stop? This is wat I've always done with skylanders.

I generally stop playing after January , just occasionally turning it on for an hour wen I collect some new figures through the year.

It's a fun, decent adventure game. Your not sposed to continually play them for an entire year. I always save the last couple of waves of skylanders to play through the game in a year next time I want to replay it.

Stop expecting so much from the franchise. if you wanna stop playing just go it, it's not a big deal.

I also agree in that people should stop saying that skylanders is dieing because of Disney and Lego and amiiibo.

Skylanders is doing fine!!!

These 3 other franchises are literally doing the toy for life thing because real toy sales have been dropping and they have too. People would rather buy a toy that can interact with a video game then just a normal toy now.
Do you guys not remember that when SA toys were released it beat Star Wars action figure sales that year ( the highest selling toy line ).

These other company's are literally just trying to keep up with skylanders. The only real losers in the end will be the non toys to life toy industry.
---
Anyone else think Short Cut should be making jokes about running with scissors?
#16 Posted: 21:53:54 22/03/2015
Quote: Drek95
Don't know if it will become a Mario, a Zelda or a Pokémon, due to its "experimental" nature, but I'm confident it will be there for many many years to come... smilie

We don't have valid data to know if we or if we're not in the minority. If Activision is doing their job they are polling customers and getting the real deal.

In terms of sales, Trap Team hasn't captured half the number that Swap Force had. Yes, it's running in a serious deficit at the moment. And that's fact.

Activision's ability to keep the franchise afloat is firmly seated in how they, as Paul Reiche says it..."respect" the player. TT didn't appear to respect the player as much as previous entries.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:57:00 22/03/2015 by GhostRoaster
#17 Posted: 22:19:39 22/03/2015
Quote: GhostRoaster

We don't have valid data to know if we or if we're not in the minority. If Activision is doing their job they are polling customers and getting the real deal.

In terms of sales, Trap Team hasn't captured half the number that Swap Force had. Yes, it's running in a serious deficit at the moment. And that's fact.

Activision's ability to keep the franchise afloat is firmly seated in how they, as Paul Reiche says it..."respect" the player. TT didn't appear to respect the player as much as previous entries.

I meant "we as a Forum".
I absolutely have no idea if the majority of the fans are thinking about leaving the franchise.

Once again, I used the wrong word.
Should have said "shops speak for themselves".
I usually see TONS of Amiibos and DI figures, but rarelly see an overstock of newly released Skylanders (by newly released I mean that came out with the latest game), and when I do, it usually disappear in a couple days, only to be filled again within a week.

I agree, Trap Team didn't pay "respect" to older players (I wouldn't have had much to do, with my SA, Giants, and SWAP Force Skylanders, except finishing maxing some of them out), but, as wild_defender said, I don't think it, or and Skylanders game, are meant to be titles that you have to play for weeks and months, before 100% them.
New characters come out, you play and upgrade them, while completing side aspects of the game, and then you wait for other characters to appear.

It's not an hardcore RPG, like Skyrim... For now.
Would I like a Skylanders game like that (but still kid's friendly)...?

ABSOLUTELY. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
skylander_chaos Blue Sparx Gems: 825
#18 Posted: 23:22:44 22/03/2015
Quote: INTIMIDAT3R

It honestly kinda saddens me to say this, but I agree FULLY.. It's almost like at this point I just want to hurry and complete trap team so it's done! Like pulling a thorn out, and wanting to hurry and get it out!
---
Our collection : every Skylander, Infinity, Trap and Amiibo to date!
#19 Posted: 03:02:22 23/03/2015
It's not an hardcore RPG, like Skyrim... For now.
Would I like a Skylanders game like that (but still kid's friendly)...?

ABSOLUTELY. smilie

They did that with the lore and more serious theme of the first two games...Kaos had his funny moments but it was there. Now, Flynn does story scrolls and Kaos is like the comedy channel? No respect I tell ya, no respect. In the first two games it felt both like an adult and a child's game at the same time...now feels decisively more childish. I guess there's a fart joke coming in the next one. That balance in my mind helped parents justify (probably despite what common sense is screaming at them) the added cost since it was "familiy fare". Disconnect the game from adults with the purse strings...we'll see what happens.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 03:05:42 23/03/2015 by GhostRoaster
LoveProfusion15 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1701
#20 Posted: 04:05:31 23/03/2015
I have lost interest in Trap Team. I love the new characters, but the game isnt very good. I put in 80 hours into Swap Force and I have less than half of that with Trap Team. Idk...
#21 Posted: 04:18:20 23/03/2015
Quote: LoveProfusion15
I have lost interest in Trap Team. I love the new characters, but the game isnt very good. I put in 80 hours into Swap Force and I have less than half of that with Trap Team. Idk...

Sounds similar to my time estimates as well. Less modes to replay...star system doesn't reward the nuances that would have us "chasing them" (like figures) as Swap Force did...and heroics/quests. I think I've put in over 300 hours in heroics/quests as I wanted to do them all by hand and not with editor. What a great investment that was. smilie

And don't get me wrong...they had something broke in the old system as all of this work is always "erased" on the new entry...but we at least had SOME semblance to toys to life and a good reward system for investing time and money in the toys. Now, not so much. They didn't "respect" portal masters in that regard.
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 04:22:38 23/03/2015 by GhostRoaster
SennyBonku Blue Sparx Gems: 673
#22 Posted: 10:08:31 23/03/2015
It's really hard to say, if after lost of interests you will return.

I've been into Skylanders since SSA. I've started late, so I've collected all the figures in rush. Same thing happened with Giants. Also grabbed all the alternate colors, etc. and bought S2 Drobot, which was VERY costfull and hard to get in Europe. But with SSF I've just stopped. The way they are releasing the products, very very poor distribution and the fact, that I have to pay enourmous prices for figures to import them just kills the interest. Not to mention, that each game is getting less and less interesting because of removal of ANY form of character custiomizations. First Heroic Challenges, then Quests (even tough they were awfull in SSF) and now there isn't even PVP.

I won't be coming back, looking at how poorly some figures were distributed and how hard it would be to get them now. Scratch for example. It's horrific how much it costs! Activisions policy of releasing some figures, especially last waves, is odd and chaotic. I won't support company, which doesn't pay much attention to the customers.
ppmdoesskylands Green Sparx Gems: 258
#23 Posted: 18:58:05 23/03/2015
honestly, im getting skylanders that look enticing to me like smilie through pre order on game stop and just having shipping prices paid... 'nuff said
---
No Pie, No Glory!
Read my story! The Drow Mage
anyone else think gold is stupid?
Street50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2060
#24 Posted: 21:55:55 23/03/2015
well truth is i have not lost interest in the Skylanders themselves. They are fun to play as.
But as for the games themselves. As unpopular opinion as it is going to be. I really didn't care for Swap Force. While starting trap team I really thought they redeemed the series until playing it a bit longer and realized it's a bit buggy, the lack of content and how terribly short the levels are and hated to admit it I dislike it more then Swap Force.

So like i said this is going to be an unpopular opinion.

I love playing as the Skylanders but I really dislike the direction the series is going now and while the part of me who loves playing these characters anxiously awaits the next adventure I think they need to step back and stop rushing these games.
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#25 Posted: 02:45:45 24/03/2015
I don't get all the fuss of people quitting the franchise cold turkey and moving on. If you've outgrown it, then move on, but if you've got an army of figures already, buy the game when it's on clearance for $25 and don't invest in anything else beyond the starter pack...you'll have access to a whole new game world and probably at least 80% of the game content if not more. If you've got no willpower and will get sucked into buying the full lineup of figures if you get a starter pack, only then do I recommend calling it completely quits...no need to feed an uncontrollable addiction.
Friendzie Blue Sparx Gems: 611
#26 Posted: 04:54:36 24/03/2015
Losing interest doesn't bother me. I was gone for over a year after Swap Force. I always go through cycles with games. I thought about selling my collection, but right now I'm glad I didn't because I'm currently enjoying the games.
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#27 Posted: 05:59:18 24/03/2015
I like STT, but I have no interest in buying the new characters. I have so many old characters that hardly get used that I have no interest in buying any of the new bunch. I can't believe they released so many characters for a game with so little content.
ShinkenRed Gold Sparx Gems: 2651
#28 Posted: 06:12:26 24/03/2015
I was in a similar situation. I was knee deep in Skylanders during SSA and Giants, then I slowed down considerably in Swap Force so much so that I didn't even register Doom Stone when I finally got him. Then I didn't check these forums for about 7 months where I considered stopping the collection entirely.

But when Trap Team came out I bought the game, but never really played it much. I'm not sure why, but in the last week I've played Trap Team for the first time since launch and beat it. I even got all the new characters. I feel like a lot of the fanbase is going through a similar burn out period. We've just had so many characters thrown at us over the last couple years. I remember when people thought SSA was too variant heavy with five in-game variants (Dark Spyro, Legendary series) and the 12-ish chase variants including Flocked SS, WERDS, Blue Bash, the GITD figures, etc.
---
Unique Character roster:
S:SA: 32/32, S:G: 16/16, S:SF: 32/32, S:TT: 36/36
#29 Posted: 08:42:54 24/03/2015
Quote: kaosmumishot
I like STT, but I have no interest in buying the new characters. I have so many old characters that hardly get used that I have no interest in buying any of the new bunch. I can't believe they released so many characters for a game with so little content.

The characters ARE a huge part of the content. If you don't see it that way, I don't understand why you'd even play these games in the first place. I don't buy new characters because I really need them to complete the game. I buy them because I like playing with new characters. Think of the fun you could have getting a friend over and each of you randomly selecting a character, then trying to use just those two characters to complete Kaos Doom Challenge on nightmare. You would have a different gameplay experience every time. But if all you want to do is beat each level and kill the end boss, then yeah, why buy more than the starter pack?
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 08:44:22 24/03/2015 by Friendzie
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#30 Posted: 10:19:54 24/03/2015
I'm also losing interests because they keep making these things more and more expansive (a trap master is 16,99 euro now)
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
DocCroc Yellow Sparx Gems: 1668
#31 Posted: 17:55:32 24/03/2015
I simply don't buy all the figures anymore. At some point with Swap Force, I realized that I just had so many characters I wasn't playing with that my collection started to feel meaningless to me. For Trap Team, I'm specifically sticking to 1 Trap Master, 1 core for this set. So I've made a more focused decision on who I want more based on their design or gameplay, and I've been happy with my choices so far. It has made me which they didn't pack in characters with the expansions, since I don't want Blades or Deja Vu from their respective elements, but I do want the extra levels.
samuraituretsky Yellow Sparx Gems: 1430
#32 Posted: 18:17:11 24/03/2015
My daughter and I rotate to different games but always come back to Skylanders. We hadn't played much Trap Team over the past month - we had been playing a little Disney Infinity, Minecraft, Lego Marvel, but then wave 4 came out and now we are back into Trap Team again. I think it's one of the best of the series. Swap Force might have had slightly better gameplay mechanics, but the Trap Masters and traps are way better than the Swappers, imo. Also, I think Kaos Doom Challenge is the best / most fun replayable content the series has ever offered, to me at least.
---
smilie smilie smilie smilie
#33 Posted: 11:59:30 26/03/2015
Quote: Friendzie

The characters ARE a huge part of the content. If you don't see it that way, I don't understand why you'd even play these games in the first place. I don't buy new characters because I really need them to complete the game. I buy them because I like playing with new characters. Think of the fun you could have getting a friend over and each of you randomly selecting a character, then trying to use just those two characters to complete Kaos Doom Challenge on nightmare. You would have a different gameplay experience every time. But if all you want to do is beat each level and kill the end boss, then yeah, why buy more than the starter pack?

Ok I've thought about what you said and it sounds really, really, really boring. Randomly select some new expensive characters, ignoring the hundreds I already own, to then play exactly the same content that I've already played over and over again. Yep, that sounds pretty boring to me.

Oh and I don't play to just beat each level and defeat each boss.
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#34 Posted: 14:14:05 26/03/2015
I am technically taking a break . You cannot live off skylanders alone. I played 7 Skylander games multiple times since October 2013 and a healthy collection of 107 Skylanders . I have not leveled up all my toys nor have i done all the Swopforce content . Problem with lots of toys , is you have to keep replaying the games over and over .

TT can wait a bit . There is still one or two giants and swop toys i want . If some TT toy gets sold out because i waited , thats my own fault not that i think i will lose any sleep over it .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:25:17 26/03/2015 by Dark fhoenix
#35 Posted: 19:46:44 26/03/2015

Ok I've thought about what you said and it sounds really, really, really boring. Randomly select some new expensive characters, ignoring the hundreds I already own, to then play exactly the same content that I've already played over and over again. Yep, that sounds pretty boring to me.

I was complaining about this basic concept even as early as Giants...it went unheeded. They will now start to reap the repercussions of this on the next game. With 240+ figures if you've been "getting them all" it's going to be final call if they don't wake up. I have faith in VV, but management has to start giving us more...not less. In the right areas. Frankly it's going to take multiple entries to right the balance now.

---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:50:32 26/03/2015 by GhostRoaster
#36 Posted: 00:18:51 27/03/2015

Right, I get it, you don't find it fun to play more characters. The question I had was why you are even here at all. There was never a time where simply completing the content in a Skylanders game would give you a reasonable amount of time with each character. From the very beginning, you always had to replay content and come up with things to do on your own. You say you can't believe they released so many characters. Why not? What can't you believe? Because you are bored, you can't see why other people might not be?

Quote:
I was complaining about this basic concept even as early as Giants...it went unheeded. They will now start to reap the repercussions of this on the next game. With 240+ figures if you've been "getting them all" it's going to be final call if they don't wake up. I have faith in VV, but management has to start giving us more...not less. In the right areas. Frankly it's going to take multiple entries to right the balance now.

There are not 240 unique characters to play. You don't need lightcores, minis, reposes, or other variants. Parents don't walk into TRU and get mad about there being too many toys. They get mad about the toys that they want, but can't find. If anything is going to drive people away from Skylanders, it'll be the annoyance of being locked out of content for something they can't find. Lack of availability of Kaos traps was making people pretty angry. To some degree, being unable to open elemental gates, and then finding out nothing good was behind them - that annoyed people. But that's not an issue of there being too little content, and it's really the same gimmick they've always used. SSA and Giants didn't even let you maximize your basic character stats without owning one version of every Skylander, yet people were apparently okay with that. Or were they? I do remember people saying Skylanders was about to die on this very forum way back in the Giants days. Yet here was are, awaiting the 5th game. I think you need to separate out your personal feelings about the game versus whether it's still a profitable franchise. People are definitely still buying.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:43:20 27/03/2015 by Friendzie
#37 Posted: 02:01:15 27/03/2015
^Agreed the game has never supported really more than 4-5 during a given story run to really get decently upgraded. Many of us however are looking at the bigger picture...cradle to grave...what does the game give us? There is a trend starting where features are being pulled ... not added.

Even with the 120+ unique characters, the content side is shallow and the toy side is abundant. All I've ever wanted is to shift the balance closer in the middle. It has not. And I agree the average skylander customer probably has 20-30 characters. so this "might" not be a problem. But I would argue it shouldn't be for the super fan either...or at least LESS of a problem. It's fallen on deaf ears anyway. Next game will be toasty if they continue down this path. my worthless .02. Cheers if you guys aren't bored. For me, there was little post story mode to do, and I can't grind to improve my skylanders. I'm still bummed about that, but won't berate the threads with my complaints.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 04:01:06 28/03/2015 by GhostRoaster
#38 Posted: 02:52:49 27/03/2015

Right, I get it, you don't find it fun to play more characters. The question I had was why you are even here at all. There was never a time where simply completing the content in a Skylanders game would give you a reasonable amount of time with each character. From the very beginning, you always had to replay content and come up with things to do on your own. You say you can't believe they released so many characters. Why not? What can't you believe? Because you are bored, you can't see why other people might not be?

Quote:

There are not 240 unique characters to play. You don't need lightcores, minis, reposes, or other variants. Parents don't walk into TRU and get mad about there being too many toys. They get mad about the toys that they want, but can't find. If anything is going to drive people away from Skylanders, it'll be the annoyance of being locked out of content for something they can't find. Lack of availability of Kaos traps was making people pretty angry. To some degree, being unable to open elemental gates, and then finding out nothing good was behind them - that annoyed people. But that's not an issue of there being too little content, and it's really the same gimmick they've always used. SSA and Giants didn't even let you maximize your basic character stats without owning one version of every Skylander, yet people were apparently okay with that. Or were they? I do remember people saying Skylanders was about to die on this very forum way back in the Giants days. Yet here was are, awaiting the 5th game. I think you need to separate out your personal feelings about the game versus whether it's still a profitable franchise. People are definitely still buying.

I believe I pointed out that I don't play to simply complete the game.

You ask why am I here? Do you mean here on this forum? As in, if I don't agree with you I shouldn't comment? Or if I don't like replaying the same content fighting exactly the same enemies in exactly the same locations over and over again that I shouldn't play the game or mention it at all?

I love the game and its potential. But the focus isn't on the game it's on selling characters. I already have a heap of characters. For me to get any value out of those characters I need to purchase more content. But of course TFB want me buying more characters, not their discs so they make it impossible to unlock certain content without having the new gimmicks. I understand the marketing angle, but releasing so many new Skylanders for the installment with the least amount of content seems unbelievable to me. And not just me, but others as well. There is lots that is hard to believe. Like how anyone finds playing the same content over and over and over and over and over again at all enjoyable.
#39 Posted: 10:36:57 27/03/2015
Well, grinding, or "playing the same content over and over and over again", to get experience, drops or gold, is more or less one of the bases of every RPG, and Skylanders is what you can consider to be a kid's friendly/really light RPG experience, with the ability to upgrade and increase the level of every character, and even choose a specific path for them, that will exclude the other.
That's a pretty hard choice for a kid, when you come to think about it. smilie

I may have an explanation on why it isn't boring, at least for me.
When you grind, in an RPG, you usually change the weapon you are using, and if the game is really well made, the experience changes completely with each weapon you use, making it really funny to try them all out, with every replay of the same, or different, areas.

With Skylanders it's different, as you don't have a single character to focus on, instead, you have tons of them, but the fact is, they are all really unique, and the playstyles are so different and original, that it's basically as if you changed a weapon each time.
Imagine playing The Ultimate Weapon with a pure melee character, like Head Rush, and then switching to a pure ranged one, like Flameslinger or Snap Shot.
You would have to adjust the strategy accordingly, making it really fun to adapt to each situation.

That's not to say I don't understand why you are saying this for Trap Team.

SWAP Force (but also Giants) did a waaaay better choice, from this point of view, having character Quests, Bonus Missions or Heroics, the Score Mode/Time Attack.
There was a lot more to do, in terms of content, but in the end, it was still replaying the same thing over and over again.

Out of all that content, the only things I miss are the Quests and the increased level cap, and I really hope they'll come back in Skylanders 5. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:42:15 27/03/2015 by Drek95
Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
#40 Posted: 14:52:14 27/03/2015
Well, for me, I would love to know why they got rid of most of the tings that made an individual Skylander feel more unique with personal progression. It's getting boring because (In my opinion) Trap Team is offering the most mundane playing experience of the bunch. I don't miss the level increase because all that ever gave you was more HP. I miss the Treasures, Heroics (not necessarily the experience but the reward), a reason to grind Portal Master Rank, etc. There was a reason to play and "progress" an individual Skylander. I think they missed a HUGE opportunity with the new accessories. That was their opportunity to ease kids/new comers into the whole "gearing" concept that is a staple in the RPG genre.

No I will refer you to the Pokemon franchise for a successful "non-gear grind", RPG, collect them all (the one that started it in fact), grindfest. Pokemon have one gear slot (equal to hats (kind of)), can increase ALL of their stats through leveling, has an "elemental" Rock-Paper-Scissors elemental system and other systems that don't feel too repetitive and make you feel like you're working towards some over all goal. So you can make a system that works without a real gear system and offer a less repetitive experience all the while making your "Army" of toys more powerful. They need to make Skylanders feel like more progression and less grind. More individuality, choice and reason to keep going. Would it really kill Skylanders if the added stat progression to the leveling system? I doubt it. They could add an E.V. (effort value system as seen in Pokemon) like system that increases certain stats based on the enemies that Skylander defeated. They could do random map generation to keep the play experience fresh for level replays. There are many other systems they could add without changing the game to much. Time will tell if they care enough to want to or maybe they're simply happy attracting newer/younger players and not too interested in retaining players as they progress the franchise...time will tell.
#41 Posted: 21:13:41 27/03/2015
Quote:
Like how anyone finds playing the same content over and over and over and over and over again at all enjoyable.

That's all there is to do in any video game once you complete all the levels. You either replay content or you move on to a new game. This is why I'm wondering why you're here. You're not going to be satisfied under any circumstances. Do you expect them to release the infinite content patch for Skylanders? Since 2011 the replay for Skylanders has revolved around getting new characters and replaying the game as those new characters. Again, it's the same type of thing for any game. If you play Diablo 3, the replay is in grinding for gear. If you play World of Warcraft, the replay is doing the same raid over and over. If you play Halo, the replay is cranking up the difficulty to replay all the levels, or go play PVP. Some people do find that to be fun to keep playing the same game like that. In fact, quite a lot of people find that to be fun. I think it's fun to go through the 100 waves on Kaos Doom mode with a new character on the highest difficulty I can manage. I really can't imagine how that wouldn't be fun for someone who sees so much potential in this game. Yeah, from my perspective, if you think it's no fun to do these things, all your time on the forum is going to be spent complaining. Skylanders 5 will just have more new characters.
darkchylde28 Gold Sparx Gems: 2175
#42 Posted: 21:43:01 27/03/2015
Quote:
Like how anyone finds playing the same content over and over and over and over and over again at all enjoyable.

That's all there is to do in any video game once you complete all the levels. You either replay content or you move on to a new game. This is why I'm wondering why you're here.

Amen. I've kept an eye on this topic here and there and have never seen such a long winded group of people who supposedly weren't interested in something. Either you're not interested, and you might make a brief couple of comments and then move on, of you're actually highly interested but also highly disappointed that there wasn't more (to the game, figures, etc.) to meet your expectations and approval. "I'm so angry at this game that I'm done with the franchise! Let me tell you about it for untold hours until I buy the next game. And all of the figures for it." If you're not interested in the series anymore, fine. If you're done with everything Skylanders, okie dokie. Just try to stick to your guns when you say things like that. Or, you know, don't say things like that if you don't really mean them and phrase them so as to actually capture the point you're really trying to make. This is a forum, not therapy. smilie

-Doug
---
SSA: Complete, SG: Complete, SSF: Complete, STT: Complete (Save Yawn Traps), SSC: Complete (To Date) + Various Chase/Promotional Variants
#43 Posted: 22:04:36 27/03/2015
Quote:

That's all there is to do in any video game once you complete all the levels. You either replay content or you move on to a new game. This is why I'm wondering why you're here. You're not going to be satisfied under any circumstances. Do you expect them to release the infinite content patch for Skylanders? Since 2011 the replay for Skylanders has revolved around getting new characters and replaying the game as those new characters. Again, it's the same type of thing for any game. If you play Diablo 3, the replay is in grinding for gear. If you play World of Warcraft, the replay is doing the same raid over and over. If you play Halo, the replay is cranking up the difficulty to replay all the levels, or go play PVP. Some people do find that to be fun to keep playing the same game like that. In fact, quite a lot of people find that to be fun. I think it's fun to go through the 100 waves on Kaos Doom mode with a new character on the highest difficulty I can manage. I really can't imagine how that wouldn't be fun for someone who sees so much potential in this game. Yeah, from my perspective, if you think it's no fun to do these things, all your time on the forum is going to be spent complaining. Skylanders 5 will just have more new characters.

I totally see your point but a few things I'd like to point out. With D3 there is the grind for gear but that's the carrot...you're going to get gear. Plus they have Seasonal characters to compete for ranking and there's random level and monster generation, boss affixes, crafting, campaign, adventure mode with bounties, rifts and greater rifts, etc. With WoW there's ALWAYS new content in the works and changes to existing content. To be honest WoW's sub fee annually is cheaper than getting Trap Team and one Trap Master for each element....let that sink in for a bit. Also there's raiding, questing, gear, crafting, pet battles, battle grounds, arenas, world pvp, Garrisons, dailies, blah blah blah. In my opinion there a ton more to do in those games than in Skylanders. That's scary considering their price points compared to Skylanders. Don't get me wrong I just got Echo, Bat Spin, Spot Light and Black Out so I'm still playing. It's just becoming harder and harder to come back. To be honest I'd probably skip the rest of Trap Team if I didn't know (which I technically don't but it would hurt this franchise if they didn't support the future forward compatibility of the figs anymore) they were playable in the next game.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:06:38 27/03/2015 by Tigorus
#44 Posted: 22:45:48 27/03/2015
Quote: Tigorus
Time will tell if they care enough to want to or maybe they're simply happy attracting newer/younger players and not too interested in retaining players as they progress the franchise...time will tell.

Your thoughtful explanation on why people are disappointed with the overall toys to life experience is spot on. Bravo. Time will tell if they have an interest in changing their already good franchise for the better, or attempt to bleed us for more money with no incremental value. I hope it's the former. Again, innovate and change some of the game itself, not just a new toy gimmick. BLEND the two in perfect harmony and I'll be the first to sing its praises. That's why I rate Swap Force high is because of that blend of both toy and game innovations.

Quote: darkchylde28
Either you're not interested, and you might make a brief couple of comments and then move on, of you're actually highly interested but also highly disappointed that there wasn't more (to the game, figures, etc.) to meet your expectations and approval. "I'm so angry at this game that I'm done with the franchise! Let me tell you about it for untold hours until I buy the next game. And all of the figures for it."

That's me, of course. I think it's safe to assume that those here are big / real fans of the franchise and fall into this general category and DO want to see positive changes. I also think some of us are on this brink of "stay on" vs "stay off" so some of it is that as well. I will admit your last sentence above fit me for a brief time when Swap Force was released. I think I've learned how to channel my frustration in a better way. smilie I do think that some are confused about which side they are on, or will be on, the next entry. I'm personally playing a wait and see. If I don't get a couple of actual innovations and a sense they are hearing some of what we are saying, I'll be here. Otherwise, I'll more than likely just lurk and see how the other half lives. I'll get the game no doubt, just won't be getting any new characters. Maybe I'll find my happy medium doing that.
---
Edited 8 times - Last edited at 23:05:50 27/03/2015 by GhostRoaster
WilltheWizard Yellow Sparx Gems: 1779
#45 Posted: 23:55:24 27/03/2015
I lose a lot of interest until they announce the new game and we are all finding leaks and secrets. That is when I really get excited. smilie
---
Spread those positive vibes
#46 Posted: 01:26:40 28/03/2015
Quote: WilltheWizard
I lose a lot of interest until they announce the new game and we are all finding leaks and secrets. That is when I really get excited. smilie

Hype is the life blood of the video game industry that is too often relied upon, rarely meeting expectations.

As Ghost Roaster pointed out this franchise is in need of a hefty dose of innovation. Swap Force did take away heroics but gave us Treasures that gave a global buff to all characters and several game modes to occupy our time when new figs. came out. V.V. has a lot resting on their shoulders for Sky 5 but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. They get the creative game play concept so I have faith. I would LOVE to see more RPG mechanics put into the franchise again. Maybe more gear slots and/or gaining all stats as we level. Or letting the player spend their own stat points. There are so many ways they can tweak the franchise to attract new players and hold the interest of veterans...they just need to want to do it.

As a side note who here would be interested in a re-release of previous games allowing the newer Landers in older game and making Giants and SSA available on the new systems (PS4 and X-Box One). I would be first in line to pre-order that sucker lol. What caused this notion was seeing that Square is releasing FF X and FFX 2 for the hundredth time (where's my FF7 HD remake dammit lol). If they can spend resources to spruce up older stand alone games, wouldn't it make some fiscal since to re-release older Skylander games in HD and take advantage of all those older figs still on the shelf. This would also give veterans a trip down memory lane in HD and allow us to play with ALL our Skylanders in Giants, SSA and Swap Force while introducing new people to those gems that might have missed them.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:30:51 28/03/2015 by Tigorus
Portal King Yellow Sparx Gems: 1324
#47 Posted: 02:14:20 28/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Hello everyone thanks for replying I've read that a lot of people have decided to leave skylanders and that's sad. Bye portal masters. Since I started this topic I have regained my interest. I hope all of you guys who have lost interest to regain it again. After I didn't play for around 3 months I missed playing with my skylanders so yesterday I played and I just I guess got back into it. Also eons elite is 9.99 in toronto so I will have some new awesome skylanders to my collection. Thanks again for all the replys. In a couple of days I might close this topic so more people don't lose interest.
---
You need superchargers gear in Toronto? I'm your guy.
Add me on the wii u (Mario200) see ya on the track!
#48 Posted: 08:44:01 28/03/2015
Quote: Portal King
Hello everyone thanks for replying I've read that a lot of people have decided to leave skylanders and that's sad. Bye portal masters. Since I started this topic I have regained my interest. I hope all of you guys who have lost interest to regain it again. After I didn't play for around 3 months I missed playing with my skylanders so yesterday I played and I just I guess got back into it. Also eons elite is 9.99 in toronto so I will have some new awesome skylanders to my collection. Thanks again for all the replys. In a couple of days I might close this topic so more people don't lose interest.

Don't worry, this topic has been really interesting, opening up a lot of interesting discussions, and won't certainly make people who still love this franchise lose interest. smilie

As others already said, no matter how interested you are in the series right now, if you are interested, even for a small bit, the reveal of Skylanders 5, and the series of leaks that will follow it will bring you back to the hype status.
Will it match the expectations?
Who knows?
But the interest will be brought back in a heart beat, and might end up making a lot of leaving Portal Masters change their minds... smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#49 Posted: 09:37:55 28/03/2015
Quote:

The question is specifically about Trap Team and of the 4 games released Trap Team has the least amount of content. I found the replayability of SSA and SG far greater than this current offering. And those games had fewer new characters. Does it really make sense to have the highest number of characters released for the game with the least amount of content?

So replaying levels is good. But only if there is enough variety which Trap Team lacks in my opinion and obviously I'm not alone.

As for your other comments, to say that I'm not going to be satisfied under any circumstances is arrogant and incorrect. I was completely satisfied with SSA and SG, not as much with SSW, but still satisfied enough. I do spend time complaining on these forums. My understanding is that these forums are monitored by Activision and other interested parties. I want them to know what I'm not happy about. I want them to know what I want and hopefully it's the same as what others want. If it's not I accept that I am in the minority. But if you bothered to read some of my other posts you will know that a large number of my posts are either attempting to help people out or making positive or constructive comments. It's certainly not telling people that they shouldn't be on here if I don't like what they say or their opinions.

As for other games, I have no interest in them. I am only interested in Skylanders but I want much more bang for my buck. Spyro's Adventure was perfect. I just want to see more of that.
#50 Posted: 10:48:32 28/03/2015
I don't agree on level variety.
I personally think Trap Team has a big diversity, ammonta the levels, and that coupled with the perfect lenght makes them really enjoyable to replay.
But, as you said, it's only a personal opinion. smilie

One thing I do agree with is the characters/game content balance.

I love having tons of new characters to play as, it's the main part of the series after all, but I would also like to have something more for them to do.
As I already said, SWAP Force nailed that aspect.

Personally, just give me an increased level cap (which could maybe affect more than the just the health) and character's Quest, and I'll be happy.
Everything else is aobviously appreciated. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me