Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3
An Age Limit [CLOSED]
WilltheWizard Yellow Sparx Gems: 1779
#1 Posted: 17:46:14 15/03/2015 | Topic Creator
I have noticed that to many younger users have been joining this site. I have seen some that are 6! It is just stupid and they do not understand internet safety! I think that you should make an age limit for the site and make it to at least 11 or 12. It may be just a kid's game, but these little kids don't understand internet safety. It is just like yesterday when a user that I shall not name got blocked by me, who threw a massive tantrum! I think this needs to be a thing.
---
Spread those positive vibes
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#2 Posted: 17:47:50 15/03/2015
Last time we discussed this,the mods didn't care if the admin didn't care. You have to say you're over 13 years old when you register but anyone could lie about that.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#3 Posted: 17:52:25 15/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Oh, ok. I didn't know there was age an age limit. But, I am turning 14 tommorow actually so that is great! But, maybe the mods or admins should start, well, getting rid of younger users who can't handle the internet.
---
whirlwind fan Platinum Sparx Gems: 5748
#4 Posted: 05:06:38 16/03/2015
People can just lie about their age...
#5 Posted: 08:51:10 16/03/2015
And apparently if they do that is totally okay to allow swearing(despite the rules on it) to be rampant and petty fights to go unnoticed. It's not their kids after all.
---
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8443
#6 Posted: 22:13:56 16/03/2015
Quote: Bifrost
And apparently if they do that is totally okay to allow swearing(despite the rules on it) to be rampant and petty fights to go unnoticed. It's not their kids after all.

In my opinion if there is no censor than dark is okay with it.
Iganagor Emerald Sparx Gems: 3552
#7 Posted: 08:39:44 17/03/2015
Drobot007?
---
Summoning a STUNFISK
1. Go to a beach - 2. Fall flat on the ground - 3. Recite Stunfisks fart-cry
4. Flop 618 times - You have a STUNFISK!
#8 Posted: 14:03:19 17/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Iganagor
Drobot007?

Maybe, maybe not. smilie
---
drobot007 Green Sparx Gems: 390
#9 Posted: 20:09:59 17/03/2015
I am 11
---
Add me on Fortnite: ElmoCaused911
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#10 Posted: 20:33:12 17/03/2015
Can't tell if true or not, since people can lie about their age.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#11 Posted: 20:44:18 17/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: drobot007
I am 11

You are too young for the website. Age liar.

Quote: Aura24

Well, people like drobot are easy. Besides, little kids are easy to fool. You could somehow get there age, and if they lie and do a good job with it, then whatever.
---
#12 Posted: 22:45:56 17/03/2015
And let's not ignore the fact that we have a 11 year old swearing on the signature. If COPPA watchdogs got anywhere close to this site I think they'd have a heart attack.
---
#13 Posted: 23:03:12 17/03/2015 | Topic Creator
And let's not ignore the fact that we have a 11 year old swearing on the signature. If COPPA watchdogs got anywhere close to this site I think they'd have a heart attack.

Oh yeah, I just realized that. Hey, isn't it against the rules to find away around the *********** things?
---
#14 Posted: 23:38:39 17/03/2015
At most I've seen some people who opened the can of expletives get their posts edited but that's about it.
---
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#15 Posted: 00:44:34 18/03/2015
Yes!!11 and up is right!but maybe some exceptions if there ready for it
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
#16 Posted: 00:48:21 18/03/2015
No there ain't. Dark isn't going to value people's maturity - EVERY PERSON under 13 that tries to register - to make sure they don't dox themselves or get into trouble that could also get parents going after him. The first already happened before and thankfully that at least is deleted on sight.
---
#17 Posted: 00:56:26 18/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: skylandersspyro

SkylandersSpyro, technically, you, and every other 12 and under kid on this site lied and broke the rules of the forum.
---
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#18 Posted: 01:02:04 18/03/2015
Quote: WilltheWizard

SkylandersSpyro, technically, you, and every other 12 and under kid on this site lied and broke the rules of the forum.

Nobodys perfect
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
#19 Posted: 01:06:50 18/03/2015 | Topic Creator

Nobodys perfect

Oh my, wow. Yeah, no. That is technically lying and you technically should not be allowed on the forums.
---
#20 Posted: 01:52:17 18/03/2015
Don't worry, people will do absolutely nothing about it, so it's totally fine. Just like the other recent suggestion threads.
---
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#21 Posted: 02:24:56 18/03/2015
Oh, ok. I didn't know there was age an age limit. But, I am turning 14 tommorow actually so that is great! But, maybe the mods or admins should start, well, getting rid of younger users who can't handle the internet.

We can't.

That's a form of discrimination. Which is against site rules. .__.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#22 Posted: 02:46:21 18/03/2015
Actually, you should.

If those of authority have knowledge than individuals under the age of 13 are using the site in ways that do not comply with COPPA without parental consent, it puts the site at risk. If a kid lies about their age and you don't know about it, there's nothing you can do. Once you become aware, it becomes a legal liability for the site.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#23 Posted: 02:50:55 18/03/2015
I also kinda sit in the party that thinks some of these younger users probably shouldn't be here yet. I'm sure Skylanders has a forum with stricter rules and filters, making it more appropriate for younger kids (a la Neopets or Lego).

But at the same time even if an age limit were put up, it would be very difficult to enforce and fairly easy to lie about your age. You aren't even required to enter your birth year, so even if there were an age limit of, say, 13 put in, a younger user can slip by without anyone knowing their age at all.

Little by little I start to agree with the idea (it's trippy seeing someone's birth year listed as 2004), but it unfortunately probably won't stop much.

Don't worry, people will do absolutely nothing about it, so it's totally fine. Just like the other recent suggestion threads.

Just to clarify, there's nothing the mods can do about rules like this. It's entirely up to Dark.
#24 Posted: 02:56:10 18/03/2015
Quote: UncleBob
Actually, you should.

If those of authority have knowledge than individuals under the age of 13 are using the site in ways that do not comply with COPPA without parental consent, it puts the site at risk. If a kid lies about their age and you don't know about it, there's nothing you can do. Once you become aware, it becomes a legal liability for the site.

To my knowledge that law isn't really enforced. And if there really are users as young as 6 on here (I haven't seen them) I think it stands to reason that they are here with parental supervision, since they probably need their help to use the computer.

But once again, mods can't really act about these things. It's going beyond Dark and could be considered an abuse of power. If he chooses to change the rules and add a limit then fine by me but until then we can't suspend people simply for being too young.
#25 Posted: 02:57:03 18/03/2015
HIR: Generally, most websites have a place where users enter their age when they register to confirm that they are over 13. Then, if a user provides false information, the fault lies on the user, not the site.

However, if the site becomes aware that a user is operating on the site under the age of 13, they are required to terminate the account and delete any personal information of the user. Not doing so once the site has become aware does put the site at risk.

This, of course, applies to sites hosted within the US (which dS is) and some sites hosted outside of the US.
#26 Posted: 03:02:12 18/03/2015
Quote: CAV

To my knowledge that law isn't really enforced. And if there really are users as young as 6 on here (I haven't seen them) I think it stands to reason that they are here with parental supervision, since they probably need their help to use the computer.

A.) It is enforced. I've provided links to multiple articles where sites of all sizes have found themselves in legal hot water.
B.) That does not, even in the least, meet the requirements for parental permission. There are very strict and detailed requirements for what kind of information a site must keep for underage users/parental consent - which is why the vast majority of sites either simply don't allow underage users under any circumstances or do so in a way that does not collect any of the protected information from users.
#27 Posted: 03:03:57 18/03/2015
I keep finding more posts to reply to...

Oh yeah, I just realized that. Hey, isn't it against the rules to find away around the *********** things?

It is, but "ass" is not one of the filtered words.

There's no rule about being a certain age to join the forum.

There's technically a law, yes. But on dS itself a rule of that sort doesn't exist.

HIR: Generally, most websites have a place where users enter their age when they register to confirm that they are over 13. Then, if a user provides false information, the fault lies on the user, not the site.

However, if the site becomes aware that a user is operating on the site under the age of 13, they are required to terminate the account and delete any personal information of the user. Not doing so once the site has become aware does put the site at risk.

This, of course, applies to sites hosted within the US (which dS is) and some sites hosted outside of the US.

HIR?

Yes most websites do have this. dS however does not, and putting in your birthday (or specifically your birth year) is optional.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I personally think at this point we should have an age limit of around 12. What I'm saying is that there is legitimately nothing we can do about it unless the admin himself were to permit it. Suspending users for reasons outside of breaking the rules could likely be considered an abuse of power, which gets the one that did it in hot water.

The most I can tell you is that I can try to bring it up to Dark.
#28 Posted: 03:06:59 18/03/2015
Whoops. In a dark room replying on my cell. Saw the tiny name and thought it was "HIR".

Anywhoo, If I could show in the rules where it clearly states that individuals under 13 are not permitted to register for the site, then you could enforce it, n'est-ce pas?
#29 Posted: 03:12:50 18/03/2015
By all means go for it. I don't really see anything in the rules implying an age limit however.
#30 Posted: 03:15:11 18/03/2015
Bottom of every page, read "Terms of Service"
#31 Posted: 03:26:52 18/03/2015
Oooooh nice find and a very compelling argument.

However I have one question: Is the site actually owned by Curse and a legitimate part of its network? darkSpyro may be running on Curse servers but to my knowledge it's still owned entirely by Dark (and darkSpyro doesn't show up when looking for Curse sites), meaning it doesn't necessarily fit in with the idea of "Curse Websites" and could be excluded from its ToS.

Mind you I'm not the most knowledgeable of this subject so I could be pretty far off.

EDIT: As an additional note, searching "darkspyro" in Curse's search bar yields no results. I imagine if it were a part of the actual network something would've come up.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:29:54 18/03/2015 by CAV
#32 Posted: 03:31:54 18/03/2015
Logically, I'd guess if the Terms of Service didn't apply within darkSpyro, they wouldn't show up on every page within the site.

Oh, and...
Quote: dark52
Today I'm proud to reveal that darkSpyro has joined the Curse network of sites.

Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:36:54 18/03/2015 by UncleBob
#33 Posted: 03:36:50 18/03/2015
EDIT: I was just about to mention that I went digging through the posts and saw that Dark mentioned it being a part of the network when I noticed your edit. Along with this he straight up said that Infinity Guru was made specifically for Curse, and the site has a clear banner for Curse at the top of the site.

I'll try and talk to Dark and the other mods about this issue.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 03:47:05 18/03/2015 by CAV
#34 Posted: 03:57:36 18/03/2015
Actually one more thing. The ToS states "please do not submit any personally identifiable information". To what extent does this apply? We already have a rule against posting personal information that can be used to identify or find someone.
#35 Posted: 04:23:19 18/03/2015
If you search COPPA, it actually defines what is legally considered personal information (including email addresses, when you're required to submit in order to register). I'm driving home from Nashville, or I'd do it for you.
#36 Posted: 04:26:36 18/03/2015
Fair enough. I'll try to speak with Dark and other mods and see what's what.

Travel safe.
#37 Posted: 11:23:40 18/03/2015
Using Neopets' >13 year old filtering systems as reference, you can't edit anything on your account that isn't default text options because of the risks of someone doxxing themselves - that also means you're blocked out from the site's forums until either you're older or send a document to their company(which I doubt works nowadays since they've moved to another part of California this last year) proving you have parental permission. AND, though people can lie about their age,some moderators have the ability to change your age(and block you off) if you do so much as imply and boast that you're not using the real one in said free text places.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:27:19 18/03/2015 by Bifrost
drobot007 Green Sparx Gems: 390
#38 Posted: 19:58:23 18/03/2015
Quote: drobot007
I am 11

You are too young for the website. Age liar.

Quote: Aura24

Well, people like drobot are easy. Besides, little kids are easy to fool. You could somehow get there age, and if they lie and do a good job with it, then whatever.

No seriously I am
I am not little. That is offensive. smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
---
Add me on Fortnite: ElmoCaused911
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:00:25 18/03/2015 by drobot007
#39 Posted: 19:59:55 18/03/2015
If you are that only makes it worse. We're not questioning if you're really 11, is that if you are you had no qualms with lying about it.
---
#40 Posted: 20:18:07 18/03/2015 | Topic Creator
If you are that only makes it worse. We're not questioning if you're really 11, is that if you are you had no qualms with lying about it.

And he is also acting childish with the 500 angry face emoji maks.
---
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#41 Posted: 21:57:50 18/03/2015

Nobodys perfect

Don't make yourself worse.
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
xXBeavcoonXx Gold Sparx Gems: 2628
#42 Posted: 00:14:23 20/03/2015
I feel like maturity also plays a big role
---
now its time to get funky
#43 Posted: 00:23:56 20/03/2015
Got a response from Dark. There probably isn't going to be an age limit installed.

Sorry folks.
#44 Posted: 00:35:58 20/03/2015
We propose a bunch of solutions to the age issue and he only thinks of ONE of them to turn it down?

...To be fair, from Dark I expected no more. But,just, darn.
---
#45 Posted: 02:00:16 20/03/2015
If it means anything, he mentioned possibly making it that a user's email be cleared if they're listed as under 13, which partially solves the personal information issue.
#46 Posted: 03:05:46 20/03/2015
No, it really doesn't. COPPA has many other requirements to follow (many around private messaging/communication features) that would land this site in hot water should the issue come up.

https://www.ftccomplaintassist...ingStarted#crnt
#47 Posted: 03:34:49 20/03/2015
No, it really doesn't. COPPA has many other requirements to follow (many around private messaging/communication features) that would land this site in hot water should the issue come up.

https://www.ftccomplaintassist...ingStarted#crnt

I'm really sorry. It's not that I'm not in favor of an age limit (I think it's a good idea to have one too). But there is legitimately nothing us mods can do, even if we think there should be one. Please bring the issue up with Dark.
#48 Posted: 05:25:17 20/03/2015
Quote: Sesshomaru75
In the end, if something does happen to land this site in "hot water", it's all on Dark, nobody else.

It's on dark, but, sadly, it's us that will lose out on the site. :(

To be honest, I don't really care about an age limit. I don't think it'd do a whole lot to improve the quality of overall posts here. I just care about what is best for the site. Some things are subjective, but the lack of proper age filters/COPPA compliance has the potential to have real, quantitative negative affect on the site - which is the only reason I bring it up.

Seriously, all it takes is one or two people to "get mad" at the site to go fill out the form I linked to above and that's when things *could* go south.

Anyway, I didn't honestly expect anything to come from this topic - it's been shown that this isn't high on dark's list, so I can just hope we continue to scrape by unnoticed.
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me