Page 1 of 1
Interesting Skylanders Article
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#1 Posted: 09:00:33 14/03/2015 | Topic Creator
This is old news (just look at when it was published), but I've never seen it posted there, and it actually has some really interesting and fun facts about TfB and Paul Reiche.

For example, did you know that he also worked on D&D? smilie

http://www.usgamer.net/article...-new-skylanders

There is also a REALLY unlikely possible peak about a hypothetical Skylanders 5's character, an Undead ghost which is afraid of other ghosts.

I think he was just coming up with some random ideas, but it would be an interesting concept, the exact opposite of Ghost Roaster.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 23:06:13 03/04/2015 by Drek95
GigaCamo Emerald Sparx Gems: 4288
#2 Posted: 11:25:16 14/03/2015
Very interesting. Good findsmilie
#3 Posted: 11:42:17 14/03/2015 | Topic Creator
Thanks! smilie

So it may actually be new old news, after all. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
wild_defender Green Sparx Gems: 465
#4 Posted: 11:54:03 14/03/2015
I hadn't seen that one iether. They need to release more articles like this that are just nice refreshing chats about the franchise. It's nice to know there's someone intelligent behind the game. Having a fantasy strategy game designer driving the game forward is pretty much the best you can hope for.
---
Anyone else think Short Cut should be making jokes about running with scissors?
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#5 Posted: 13:24:22 14/03/2015
I do recall reading that article but if it was posted anywhere it got lost in the What We Know thread. The little I know about Star Control definately makes Skylanders look close-to-earth in comparison, pun not intended. It's not every day the leader of a dev team has experience in character design,and it's a good thing they make good use of it.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#6 Posted: 16:58:57 14/03/2015
Good read. During SSA and Giants these type of articles were all over the place. I've been disappointed to have not seen very well written introspective articles like this more often.

Thanks for the link. We should actually keep an ongoing article thread just for stuff like this.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:59:35 14/03/2015 by GhostRoaster
#7 Posted: 17:54:31 14/03/2015 | Topic Creator
No problem! smilie

I found it really interesting too, and you can definitely see in the games and character's design that they took a lot of inspiration from classic oriental and occidental mythological modern iconography.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#8 Posted: 05:46:00 17/03/2015
http://www.gamespot.com/articl...source=gamefaqs

Makes you wonder....was this yet another blunder from Nintendo or their stance that perhaps this would prevent them from releasing Amiibo if this partnership was in effect today.

"Nintendo could have kicked Disney's ass," Reiche said. "If I was running Nintendo I would have jumped on this."
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 05:47:54 17/03/2015 by GhostRoaster
#9 Posted: 06:52:51 17/03/2015
Quote: GhostRoaster
http://www.gamespot.com/articl...source=gamefaqs

Makes you wonder....was this yet another blunder from Nintendo or their stance that perhaps this would prevent them from releasing Amiibo if this partnership was in effect today.

"Nintendo could have kicked Disney's ass," Reiche said. "If I was running Nintendo I would have jumped on this."

Haha. Nice find.

I think the general consensus is that Nintendo is too scared to do anything outside the box these days. They don't want to rock the boat.
They probly will kick Disneys ass though.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:53:30 17/03/2015 by wild_defender
#10 Posted: 08:49:11 17/03/2015
If they were that scared Codename STEAM wouldn't really have ever showed up,though that it isn't much it's still baby steps.

And really,Nintendo was on the merch business before either of the other comapnies, even if it was mostly Pokémon figurines when it comes to cheaper things. They could make something high quality if they really wanted to create maximum hype around Amiibo,but their focus really is on games.
---
#11 Posted: 03:13:48 19/03/2015
In my Darth Vader voice "You were right, Gamespot...you were right..."

http://www.gamespot.com/articl...g/1100-6381284/

"But it also seems a bit crass, and the fact that series-two characters have more powerful upgrades than their predecessors sounds designed to get kids to disregard their existing toys and encourage their parents to buy a whole new set of Skylanders for them. We can't help but wonder if parents will be willing to purchase new assortments of Skylanders so soon after sinking considerable amounts of money into building their children's collections for the first game, and if those many adults who also fell under the first game's spell will feel the same impulse to collect 'em all that they did the first time around. "

Comments section is classic. Takes me back, as Mags says.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 03:18:32 19/03/2015 by GhostRoaster
#12 Posted: 04:38:25 19/03/2015
Peoples reaction to reposes was pretty ridiculous back then. I hated all these negative articles going around back then( and still a bit now ).

Complaing about obsolete series 1 charscters was really overboard. Especially since legendaries were around In series 1 that had higher stats then the originals anyway . And a decent increase in stats is just as bad as a half decent wow pow.
---
#13 Posted: 16:59:00 03/04/2015
Very interesting article I overlooked. One of the best behind the scenes article I've read to date.

A lot more insight into how Paul got into creating games, the market at the time, and their props to Spyro in helping to connect audiences to a new concept with something they were already familiar with. And how Activision's previous Guitar Hero entry did a lot to pave the way in helping with the manufacturing and distribution process, and the fact that TfB were told to polish their idea on being able to write the data to the figure (I already knew this, but how it came about is given additional detail).

Drek: Can you rename the first post Thread Title to "Interesting Skylanders Articles" or something similar since I'm re-purposing this in a bit more general way. Thanks.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/...ders-swap-force
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 17:06:48 03/04/2015 by GhostRoaster
#14 Posted: 23:04:19 03/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Very interesting article I overlooked. One of the best behind the scenes article I've read to date.

A lot more insight into how Paul got into creating games, the market at the time, and their props to Spyro in helping to connect audiences to a new concept with something they were already familiar with. And how Activision's previous Guitar Hero entry did a lot to pave the way in helping with the manufacturing and distribution process, and the fact that TfB were told to polish their idea on being able to write the data to the figure (I already knew this, but how it came about is given additional detail).

Drek: Can you rename the first post Thread Title to "Interesting Skylanders Articles" or something similar since I'm re-purposing this in a bit more general way. Thanks.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/...ders-swap-force

Oh, sure, no problem! smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#15 Posted: 23:17:23 03/04/2015
That's a nice historical article.

I like the Spyro bit.

It always annoys me when people say skylanders ruined spyro . spyro was already dead and wasn't coming back, those types of adventure games just werent that successful any more.

People who are nostalgic for the games they played in their youth generally hate anything done to their classic concepts so you can generally ignore them, but wouldn't a real spyro fan love a cool spyro figure to to put on a shelf anyway?

The S2 spyro is real cute. Lol
---
#16 Posted: 23:40:58 03/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: wild_defender
That's a nice historical article.

I like the Spyro bit.

It always annoys me when people say skylanders ruined spyro . spyro was already dead and wasn't coming back, those types of adventure games just werent that successful any more.

People who are nostalgic for the games they played in their youth generally hate anything done to their classic concepts so you can generally ignore them, but wouldn't a real spyro fan love a cool spyro figure to to put on a shelf anyway?

The S2 spyro is real cute. Lol

Couldn't agree more.

Not only I absolutely LOVE having an original Spyro figure next to me (no matter how he changed, he's still the little purple dragon I grew up with), but I also think Skylanders games are waaaaay closer to the Classic series, in terms of mood, characters and story, than people think.

When A New Beginning came out, every one starter to say "That's not Spyro, he is just a bad copy!", while all I could thing about was "I must be dreaming... A new Spyro game...? I must be dreaming...". smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#17 Posted: 00:07:14 04/04/2015
Reboots happen all the time, so saying that Skylanders killed Spyro because his scales are too spotty or because he has an overbite is genwunnerism at its best. Just look at how some people say Sonic died when he got green eyes instead of black ones. It's alright to say you don't like the franchise in any way because of the gameplay or because it's expensive... But unless they made Spyro an entirely different color or not a dragon that's not the kind of change you cry doom and gloom over.

I was one of the rare people that actually found Skyro really adorable,was more iffed at how the graphics than anything(look at the very first screenshot; his textures feel like a badly saved jpeg on paint compared to SSA or SG on release). Sure,we're not getting our 3D plataformers anytime soon,but that's why I moved on to other series - got spare money for Project Ukelele ready to be shoved against the screen(metaphorically) when the kickstarter starts,and preordered Hat in Time long ago. I started following SKL as the game it is and not the game I wanted it to be when Spyro was put in it, just like any new franchise you get interested in. Sure, I WANT the game to have a bit more of Spyro,Cynder and co., but that's just a want and not a must.

I really liked ANB and TEN for the quirky style more than the dragon on it being Spyro or not, mostly because I was in a dragon fangirling phase at the time. Heck pink chunky Spyro on DOTD is more hilarious than cool looking but I never really told myself it wasn't part of the series just because of the designs or how bad the game was.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:08:16 04/04/2015 by Bifrost
#18 Posted: 03:07:15 09/04/2015
Are they really considering a movie?

http://www.nintendolife.com/ne...kylanders_movie
---
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#19 Posted: 03:24:49 09/04/2015
Are they really considering a movie?

http://www.nintendolife.com/ne...kylanders_movie

Yeah, but the news about it has been out for a while. Details on it haven't been given yet.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:32:37 09/04/2015 by Aura24
#20 Posted: 05:29:32 09/04/2015
Yeah I think they talked about a movie over a year ago and still no news so it might not happen.

I think they should just create more cool shorts . That short on slobber tooth and the other on fryno were great. They really advertise the cool comical side of skylanders .
---
#21 Posted: 06:50:20 09/04/2015
Yeah, I just remember Hirshberg or someone saying "the game is the movie" and that they really didn't think a movie or some other media venue was not going to happen.
---
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#22 Posted: 10:54:20 09/04/2015
a very interesting, thanks....
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#23 Posted: 11:28:17 09/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: CountMoneyBone
a very interesting, thanks....

You're welcome! smilie

Regarding the movie, I don't remember how old the first infos about it are, but I do remember reading somewhere that the game and the figures could already create adventures on their own, as GhostRoaster said.

If anything, I think a CG series would work better, and could focus more on the single characters, like the comics are already doing, but if the mentality stays the same, I doubt it will happen.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:58:38 09/04/2015 by Drek95
#24 Posted: 12:25:08 09/04/2015
They're probably waiting to see how well the Jak and Dexter movie turns out - after all video game movies are legendary for being utter crap except for the rare gems like Wreck-it Ralph. Which... might not turn out well because there is so little marketing for that, as good as it looks.
Like Drek, I think a CG series would do more justice(try showing 150+ guys on a single movie and making them all important), but the movies could always be adaptations of the novels and comics while the show could be an overarching plot of its own. But no trying to be Sonic Boom, unlike sonic Skylanders' lore allows for more than enough new things that don't get in the way of the games.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me