Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Previous | Page 10 of 13 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Yooka-Laylee
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#451 Posted: 22:00:48 04/04/2017
Quote: TheJMAN184
Oh boy it only gets worse from here doesn't it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Yooka...ame=YookaLaylee

https://www.reddit.com/r/Yooka...wers_just_dont/
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:01:41 04/04/2017 by Bryman04
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#452 Posted: 22:05:56 04/04/2017
Ah yes, the backers will pay Playtonic to the end, when Shovel Knight couldn't pay Yacht Club Games to the end of development despite their amazing sucess(did they do more than YK? can't remember). Surely, the game just isn't for the masses.

Seriously, I love BK, I love even more BT, I tolerate Nuts and Bolts, but time passes. Cynism and british humor was funny and interesting then but nowadays it's not new and is reaching lolrandom levels of overdone. Doesn't mean you have to ditch it, but update it. From the reviews and Toybox it doesn't seem like they did that. And if the rest of the game suddenly starts pissing new fans off, that's only more noticeable.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:07:15 04/04/2017 by Bifrost
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5337
#453 Posted: 05:18:35 05/04/2017
To me it just sounds like Playtonic needs to issue a performance patch for the console versions, and pronto. Other than that the game seems to be everything it set out to be. It never pretended to be anything other than a nostalgic throwback to a retro gameplay style. Is a nostalgic throwback what the 3D platformer genre needs in order to regain widespread appeal? Apparently not, but that doesn't mean there aren't lots of people who wanted exactly the kind of game that Yooka-Laylee is.

That said, I feel like most of Playtonic's problems lately are caused by Team 17. Team 17 are the ones who handled PR (and did so very terribly during the JonTron incident) and Team 17 handled the console ports. Playtonic needs to ditch Team 17, asap.
---
Boop me if you see this.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7089
#454 Posted: 14:35:26 05/04/2017
I tried the Toybox+ demo. The mechanics definitely feel pretty good, but my laptop can't keep a stable 60 FPS (probably could if I made the settings lower but I don't want bad resolution). Guess I'll have to wait until the PS4 version gets patched.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#455 Posted: 18:06:25 05/04/2017
HALLELUIJAH MY REFUND IS HERE

LOST IMAGINITE MINES HERE I COME

Performance patches seem to be tied to the version, and that's seemingly Team 17's fault as well since usually main devs don't handle the ports.
---
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#456 Posted: 08:43:23 08/04/2017
[User Posted Image]

just buy snake pass
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#457 Posted: 15:56:28 08/04/2017
But, is that only on the Xbox One though? Even if it is, I don't see 73/100 as bad, more just above average.

With that said, I heard it does have performance issues on the Xbox One, which, doesn't give me much hope for the Switch version...
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8399
#458 Posted: 01:55:47 09/04/2017
tbh the whole "it's made for the fans" argument isn't that great of a reason why a game should underperform. in my honest opinion games shouldn't aim to be made for on group of individuals who are nostalgic for bad gameplay. yooka-laylee is a successor to the bear and bird game don't get me wrong but just because it is doesn't mean it can improve and update the gameplay to make it smoother and overall more enjoyable. the thing about games made on the 90's is that they were limited to what they had at the time while yooka-laylee seems to have camera issues which is quite silly. but look at shovel knight that game was made for old snes lovers yet just about anybody in this day and age can pick the game up and enjoy it without ever touching a snes. and that's what a game like yooka-laylee should do. allow anybody to pick up and play. not just anybody can just pick up banjo and enjoy it fully because they aren't just use to the style of gameplay that it has. if banjo was made in the 2010's then it would be called shovelware or a hidden gem but back then it would be "game of the year." but games that were excellent in ur childhood doesn't mean that people in their childhood these days would enjoy it as well. sure there are kids who do enjoy old 64 games but quite a few of them don't and I feel like yooka-laylee should have tried to captivate new audiences. games should heading forward not backwards.
if u don't agree cool
#459 Posted: 04:00:41 09/04/2017
So much of the appeal of BT was that it improved on the previous game(even if the level design suffered), instead of just being more of the same. New abilities, new puzzles, formal boss battles,connected worlds, etc. Other than the expanding worlds and Pagie shards(which feel like padding), not much else was given to the basics of BK.
---
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7089
#460 Posted: 22:25:41 09/04/2017
Quote: Blackholes_Wolf
[User Posted Image]

just buy snake pass

[User Posted Image]

Oh bother.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#461 Posted: 22:52:46 09/04/2017
you could say its a medium game

it's not rare, and it's certainly not well-done
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#462 Posted: 10:43:39 10/04/2017
Gee, why am I not surprised a game staring a non-human character gets a medium score? This is why I stopped watching this game because I didn't want to see something like THIS happen to a game I was looking forward to. I mean, you can argue the reviews aren't THAT bad, but it's still a blow to my mood right now.

Quote: Bifrost
A Hat in Time definately has more chances but it's also a much smaller game(I think?).

A Hat in Time has staring a human going for it.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:48:49 10/04/2017 by MugoUrth
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#463 Posted: 10:54:06 10/04/2017
Quote: MugoUrth
Gee, why am I not surprised a game staring a non-human character gets a medium score? This is why I stopped watching this game because I didn't want to see something like THIS happen to a game I was looking forward to. I mean, you can argue the reviews aren't THAT bad, but it's still a blow to my mood right now.

A Hat in Time definately has more chances but it's also a much smaller game(I think?).

I think you're a bit too paranoid.
---
Bruh
#464 Posted: 10:58:46 10/04/2017
Quote: Crash10

I feel like I have a reason to be. Everything I look forward to blows up in my face now-adays and it's hard for me to get excited for stuff anymore. Again, the game hasn't really gotten BAD reviews, just okay/good but not amazing type reviews, but it still makes me feel bad that a game staring a non-human doesn't get the praise I was hoping for, as usual.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:02:08 10/04/2017 by MugoUrth
#465 Posted: 11:02:25 10/04/2017

I feel like I have a reason to be. Everything I look forward to blows up in my face now-adays and it's hard for me to get excited for stuff anymore.

No, not that, the "everyone hates games with no humans" thing. I just think it's quite paranoid, because no one would say something is bad because there's no humans.
---
Bruh
#466 Posted: 11:04:43 10/04/2017

I feel like I have a reason to be. Everything I look forward to blows up in my face now-adays and it's hard for me to get excited for stuff anymore.

No, not that, the "everyone hates games with no humans" thing. I just think it's quite paranoid, because no one would say something is bad because there's no humans.

Trust me, there are rabid anti-furries out there who will pitch a fit and give a bad review to a game based on it's main character's species, though they usually sugarcoat reviews to hide that being their sole reason for the low score.
#467 Posted: 11:09:54 10/04/2017

Trust me, there are rabid anti-furries out there who will pitch a fit and give a bad review to a game based on it's main character's species, though they usually sugarcoat reviews to hide that being their sole reason for the low score.

B-B-But Yooka can't even be classified as a furry. He's a scalie... I think that's the name.

But Laylee's a furry, so yeah.
---
Bruh
#468 Posted: 11:18:49 10/04/2017
Why am I not surprised you made up another conspiracy about how human in cartoon video game=bad?

I'll stick to Mario, thank you very much. Doesn't matter if the protagonist's number of legs, the rest of the game does.
---
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#469 Posted: 11:47:05 10/04/2017
Mugo, do you think the fact that non-humans are the main characters contributes to the games negatime reviews?
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#470 Posted: 12:13:09 10/04/2017
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
Mugo, do you think the fact that non-humans are the main characters contributes to the games negatime reviews?

At this point, I honestly do.

You may be wondering if it really is THAT big of a deal that the main star isn't human, let me just say: Yes it is. IMO, a likeable character can make the game itself more likeable, and I am honestly at the point in my life where I am so misanthropic that I have a hard time accepting humans as goodguys at all anymore. People think it's entirely environmental, that my disdain for my own species has solely to do with animals, when in fact it stems FAR beyond that. Watching species go extinct and humans "helping" animals by hunting more and more of the animals that are already in such low numbers doesn't help my opinion, but neither does watching people get bullied and others only making it WORSE for the victims, not to mention living in a war-mongering country right now doesn't help either. So, yeah, game staring a human DOES make it less fun for me, especially since the majority of human staring games now a days have no sense of color or whimsy, and usually treat humans as the absolute good (only creature capable of good: I DESPISE this concept). Every now and then a Borderlands or Sunset Riders, two fairly whimsical games that come to mind staring humans, will come along and break up the monotony, and sometimes even games with non-human goodguys as well as humans (like Mass Effect), but ultimately what I REALLY want are games that don't star the very thing I don't want to play as: humans.

That's one of the reasons I love Skylanders so much: There are so many things to choose from as far as playables go. Sure, there are a few humans, but then there's dragons, monsters, anthros, quadrupeds, everything I could ask for save the token fat character (jk, sorta). Even with Skylanders, though, it's not so much the game itself, but the business practice of "One a year" that ultimately killed Guitar Hero and did more-or-less the same with this game. You may think I'm being picky with Yooka-Laylee in that "Didn't get rave reviews, so it sucks," and yes, the reviews have been more or less decent, but at the same time a lot of us, including myself, were hoping for so much better, and to see this once again happen to an anthro game makes me sad.

It doesn't help that, as far as non-human games go, it's pretty slim-pickin's out there. Most of the ones that get attention end up outright sucking or, in Yooka-Laylee's case, under-preforming. Even the ones that don't are usually terrible. Every once in a while a good anthro game will get rave reviews, but that feels like it only happens once or twice a year, and THAT is if you're lucky. Some years don't produce ANY good anthro/non-human staring games. So yeah, Yooka-Laylee may still be a pretty good game, but it's reviews do make me sad.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 12:15:42 10/04/2017 by MugoUrth
#471 Posted: 12:46:48 10/04/2017
OH MY ****ING GOD

Have you seen ANYONE IN ANY OF THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS COMPLAIN AT ALL ABOUT HOW THE MAIN CHARACTERS ARE ANIMALS? I hugely doubt it. The fact that they're animals has absolutely nothing to do with the negative reviews. If that was the case, why do some of the most popular animated films feature animals as the main characters? Kung Fu Panda, Zootopia, How to Train Your Dragon, Sing, Secret Life of Pets, Madagascar, Jungle Book, Lion King, Storks. If humans are supposededly absolute good and animals are ****ing trash, why would these movies be so beloved? If anything these movies with humans in place of the animals would have been much less successful. I know this is a vidya game and not a movie, but the case is similar and can go into your complaint.

When a game featuring a human character comes out, they're not human because "OH HUMANS ARE ABSOLUTE GOOD, **** ALL OTHER CREATURES, **** THEM ALL!" it's because its the most logical choice. It's not like if you have a main bipedal animal character and people will think "Oh no, why isn't he human? This is wrong! HUMANS ARE THE ONLY CREATURES TO DO GOOD!" We, know for a fact. that animals in real life can do good. We don't ignore that in fact its often celebrated when a dog saves his human from some danger,or even just shows his love for his human

I'm not even sure if my above argument made much sense, because I'm hastily typing this up out of anger. Yooka being a chameleon and Laylee being a bat have nothing to do with the games faults and mixed reviews.

In fact, if people were given the option of the making Yooka Laylee (Or any video game/movie character) animals or human, I think a big majority would choose animal because it would be seen as cooler and more fun.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:17:20 10/04/2017 by HeyitsHotDog
#472 Posted: 13:02:32 10/04/2017
Woah! Chill, dude! I know I have some odd suspicions on reviewers, but isn't that a bit excessive. ...Also, the reviews are not so much negative, just neutral.
#473 Posted: 13:18:32 10/04/2017
Sorry, sorry. It's just that the anti human stuff has gotten old...
---
#474 Posted: 13:24:57 10/04/2017
Not only old, but unreasonable.

I'll say it again. You could make it two cubes on top of each other. It's still going to be a meh game - because it's not the cubes, it's the gameplay.

You could make Spyro a moving cube in a hub. Still a good game. Not as memorable, but the gameplay didn't change.
---
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8506
#475 Posted: 19:36:31 10/04/2017
[User Posted Image]

Just saying.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:37:10 10/04/2017 by JCW555
#476 Posted: 20:11:01 10/04/2017
There you go.

On topic, Jontron's voice role will be patched out, but some people got their hands in the game early and found him before the patch rolls. I'll post a link in an hour or so when I can if no one does it first.
---
#477 Posted: 21:36:23 10/04/2017
There you go.

On topic, Jontron's voice role will be patched out, but some people got their hands in the game early and found him before the patch rolls. I'll post a link in an hour or so when I can if no one does it first.

#478 Posted: 21:40:46 10/04/2017
Oof, by just 4 minutes until I got the link. Thanks man.
---
#479 Posted: 21:45:38 10/04/2017
So he played his own future career?
---
#480 Posted: 21:46:09 10/04/2017
Oof, by just 4 minutes until I got the link. Thanks man.

sorry! smilie

Also, If others want to play the Metacritic game I've been seeing recently, (not just on here):

proof the gamer mentality has shifted

[User Posted Image]
#481 Posted: 22:04:45 10/04/2017

He played better than Yooka's voice grunts, that's for sure.
---
#482 Posted: 22:12:05 10/04/2017

He played better than Yooka's voice grunts, that's for sure.

[User Posted Image] "uuh uhh uhh uhh uhh uh uuh uuuuh uh uh uh"
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#483 Posted: 22:13:08 10/04/2017
Why do people keep saying JonTron's career is down the drain? Because of the Destiny debate controversy? I mean, he's still got a pretty sizable amount of subscribers.

Sorry if this is off-topic. I just don't really get it yet.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
#484 Posted: 22:13:44 10/04/2017
Agreed. I love Jontrob andi im not gonna stop watching him.
---
#485 Posted: 22:15:10 10/04/2017
Because when you say you don't want immigrants mixing up the gene pool you just nuked half of your fanbase and then some. I'm not even sure if I'll keep watching him, it's hard to separate creation from creator when his face is on all the time.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:15:42 10/04/2017 by Bifrost
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#486 Posted: 23:19:05 10/04/2017
ololol playtonic must feel embarrassed when they see that nuts & bolts currently has a higher metascore than yooka laylee olololol
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:22:13 10/04/2017 by Blackholes_Wolf
#487 Posted: 23:21:18 10/04/2017
i'll still support jontron. his content is funny and genuine- no amount of controversy changes that.
#488 Posted: 09:12:57 11/04/2017
ololol playtonic must feel embarrassed when they see that nuts & bolts currently has a higher metascore than yooka laylee olololol

[User Posted Image]

-----
---
Bruh
#489 Posted: 15:43:09 11/04/2017

In its defense, Nuts & Bolts is not a bad game, it's just that people expected it to be a Banjo Threeie and threw a fit when it wasn't.

I also like how people act like what I said about non-human bias doesn't have truth to it, as well as assuming critics are just going to blatantly say "it sucks because it doesn't star a human." ...I also found it funny that I was pretty much the only person who saw bad reviews coming.
#490 Posted: 15:50:04 11/04/2017
You got any evidence about that non-human bias? Besides the fact that humans can be main characters in video games, which, in of itself, isn't evidence.
---
#491 Posted: 15:51:53 11/04/2017
I'll pick it up when it's on sale, i suppose.

Might not be *perfect*, but it looks fun. Plus, Aura24's in the credits!
#492 Posted: 16:02:58 11/04/2017
Oh I plan to get it, despite its flaws.
---
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#493 Posted: 16:25:12 11/04/2017
Quote: Bryman04
There you go.

*video here*

Okay, now I could really care less that it's patched out. That is not an endearing voice grunt. It hurts my ears. <.<
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
First | Previous | Page 10 of 13 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me