Page 1 of 1
Blastermind's Crystals
skygrin Blue Sparx Gems: 852
#1 Posted: 12:31:48 03/01/2015 | Topic Creator
I just got blastermind this morning, and when I opened him, I smelled the ka-boom smell. smilie
---
smilie gottee
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#2 Posted: 12:39:11 03/01/2015
Yeah, the same goes for the other Trap Masters, more or less.

I think it's the plastic they used for the Traptanium weapons.
Who knows, maybe Zoo Lou, Trap Shadow, Grim Creeper and other characters with transparent parts also smelled the same, right out of the package.

I kinda like that smell.
It's all "fresh and new". smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
#3 Posted: 12:46:50 03/01/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Drek95

Who knows, maybe Zoo Lou, Trap Shadow, Grim Creeper and other characters with transparent parts also smelled the same, right out of the package.

I kinda like that smell.

I checked gusto, and head rush, and they smell fine.
---
smilie gottee
#4 Posted: 12:53:55 03/01/2015
Quote: skygrin

I kinda like that smell.

Right out of the box?

If yes, then they could have that smell, on them, but less strong.
Almost all the plastic products have it, more or less.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#5 Posted: 12:56:29 03/01/2015 | Topic Creator

I kinda like that smell.

Right out of the box?

I just got smilie+smilie+smilie last week, and ka boom still smells horrible. Ka boom is like 6 times as bad as smilie.
---
smilie gottee
#6 Posted: 12:59:42 03/01/2015

Right out of the box?

I just got smilie+smilie+smilie last week, and ka boom still smells horrible. Ka boom is like 6 times as bad as smilie.

Don't know, then.

Maybe it's because his weapon is one of the biggest, both in terms of mass and size?
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#7 Posted: 13:01:37 03/01/2015 | Topic Creator

Right out of the box?

Don't know, then.

Maybe it's because his weapon is one of the biggest, both in terms of mass and size?

Probably. Blastermind's crystal count is: 5, so this is probably because he has 5 traptanium weapons.
---
smilie gottee
#8 Posted: 13:03:40 03/01/2015

Don't know, then.

Probably. Blastermind's crystal count is: 5, so this is probably because he has 5 traptanium weapons.

Yeah, other weapons such as Snap Shot's bow and arrow, Bushwhack's axe and Gusto's boomerang are big, but thin.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
SkyScratch Blue Sparx Gems: 550
#9 Posted: 13:24:40 03/01/2015
I would assume the smell comes from the shiny clear coating on the weapons, all trap masters and traps have that odd smell. I stuck my traps/trap masters in a box with some incense sticks, cleared it right up after a day
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#10 Posted: 14:30:17 03/01/2015
In my vunboxing videos I always talk about that "new Skylander smell". Smells a lot like a new car.
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#11 Posted: 14:30:34 03/01/2015
i never thought about it but the more you guys talk about it and mention it. i gotta say this, the traps also are oily out of the box or get that after a while... and no i don't eat potato chips before touching any traps or have fat fingers... and the stink is like a mix of paraffin/gasoline or something.

i think activision used a unhealthy component in the clear plastic things. someone here that work at a lab or know someone that work at a lab?. that can do some testings...

when the plastic stink is a mix of paraffin/gasoline and get oily, its not safe for kids to put in the mouth or touch with fingers. these chemicals get absorbed into the body. it can bring allergic reactions etc...
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
ExcitonKnight Gold Sparx Gems: 2745
#12 Posted: 18:39:40 03/01/2015
When I opened my smilie the plastic toxic smell almost destroyed me.
---
Merry Christmas ya filthy animal
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#13 Posted: 18:55:24 03/01/2015
They should have aired out the toxic plastic odor before packaging. Also, Blastermind's helmet crystals look like someone cut off the bottom parts of the Magic Traps and then glued them to his headgear.
Skylander3112 Gold Sparx Gems: 2115
#14 Posted: 21:24:59 03/01/2015
Compare the base of normal traps to his "traps" and see if it's the same size.
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#15 Posted: 21:36:49 03/01/2015
Quote: CountMoneyBone
i never thought about it but the more you guys talk about it and mention it. i gotta say this, the traps also are oily out of the box or get that after a while... and no i don't eat potato chips before touching any traps or have fat fingers... and the stink is like a mix of paraffin/gasoline or something.

i think activision used a unhealthy component in the clear plastic things. someone here that work at a lab or know someone that work at a lab?. that can do some testings...

when the plastic stink is a mix of paraffin/gasoline and get oily, its not safe for kids to put in the mouth or touch with fingers. these chemicals get absorbed into the body. it can bring allergic reactions etc...

I'm turning green like the green goo in Chapter 10. Do you think it's the traptanium?
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#16 Posted: 21:56:56 03/01/2015
-drops all traps- Uh, hold on, I'll be right back!
[User Posted Image]
Now... what were you saying about traps causing allergic reactions? (my allergies can get really bad!)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:58:56 03/01/2015 by TrapShadowFan
Fly Spyro Fly Green Sparx Gems: 446
#17 Posted: 22:42:47 03/01/2015
That wall of stench when you buy the 8 pack of traps.... it almost knocked me out.
#18 Posted: 22:56:07 03/01/2015
Quote: TheShadowDragon
They should have aired out the toxic plastic odor before packaging. Also, Blastermind's helmet crystals look like someone cut off the bottom parts of the Magic Traps and then glued them to his headgear.

you cant air out the toxic when its in the material its made of. i have now put all my traps in air tight bags until something is done. i have stopped all my buying of traps as of now.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Fly Spyro Fly Green Sparx Gems: 446
#19 Posted: 22:59:39 03/01/2015

you cant air out the toxic when its in the material its made of. i have now put all my traps in air tight bags until something is done. i have stopped all my buying of traps as of now.

Are you sure? I'd I find it hard to believe people would allow them to produce this if its hazardous.
But I'm not taking any chances heheh
#20 Posted: 23:23:22 03/01/2015

Really? Is there s health problem I'm not aware of?
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
StormDragon21 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5537
#21 Posted: 23:24:09 03/01/2015

I kinda like that smell.

Gusto had the same smell, at least I think it did. I opened some of the normal Skylander packages, and they were fine.
---
"sTORM, my parents just told me something that RUINED MY LIFE. DID YOU KNOW that Smarties have different flavors?!" ~ShadowMewX
#22 Posted: 23:47:43 03/01/2015
Quote: GhostRoaster

Really? Is there s health problem I'm not aware of?

go smell your traps, also try rub your fingers on the trap and smell your fingers. some of my traps smell of a paraffin/gasoline stink and the trap are often oily. i will wash them and let them dry out, then put them in a air tight plastic back for a week. if they get oily and stinky again, then something is definitive up...
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:49:45 03/01/2015 by CountMoneyBone
D77 Green Sparx Gems: 146
#23 Posted: 00:26:08 04/01/2015
I worked in a plastic factory for about 6 years and can tell you from my experience that it may not be the plastic itself, but rather a silicon (or other chemical) spray they use for mold release. Think of it like cooking spray used in a pan for baking a cake. The mold gets sprayed so the plastics come out without breakage, but it leaves a residue behind that usually gets dried up through proper curing in an oven at a high temperature.

I haven't been too concerned with it myself because I have only noticed it on a few traps, but I used a baby wipe and it seemed to help out with the problem some. I can't say what the best/safest way to get it off the figures and traps would be since I don't know what it actually is though. I'm overly cautious, so I'd have to check into the types of paints, plastics, etc. used before I'd use anything with more cleaning power (not sure if that info is even available).

Sorry I can't offer much more on the issue, but I would say proceed carefully. Don't use anything that may cause harm to your game pieces or yourself! I'd hate to think the game company would be dumb enough to release game pieces that have a potential health concern, but I also wouldn't put it past them either.
#24 Posted: 00:41:50 04/01/2015
Come on folks, calm down.

It happened to me, before Trap Team, with a lot of other Skylanders, and also with other in-bag or boxed figures, even when I was really young.

I am too an overly cautious person, but this has never concerned me.

No need to panic.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#25 Posted: 01:31:45 04/01/2015

It happened to me, before Trap Team, with a lot of other Skylanders, and also with other in-bag or boxed figures, even when I was really young.

No need to panic.

*panics*
#26 Posted: 01:40:44 04/01/2015
Quote: Badwolfmichael

No need to panic.

*panics*

*on a second thought, that could mean more traps and Skylanders for me...*

Eeeh, you know what?
Those plastic figures are really bad for your health.
I suggest you to call the 911 and send them here, so my... Uuuh... Father, who... Eeeeh, works in a... Plastic... Chemistry... Facility... Thing... Can check them out, and see if they are safe.

Yes.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
SlinkySlinks Yellow Sparx Gems: 1114
#27 Posted: 15:49:42 04/01/2015
that's odd, when buying traps and trap masters I have never noticed this smell.
---
"Boop!"
Farlo Blue Sparx Gems: 516
#28 Posted: 20:47:25 04/01/2015
I can confirm when. I brought legendary grim creeper the smell was overpowering.
---
You don't know what you've done!
smilie
sky-dragon Emerald Sparx Gems: 3206
#29 Posted: 21:21:59 04/01/2015
None of my skylanders smell or traps
---
"ryuujin no ken wo kurae!"
ppmdoesskylands Green Sparx Gems: 258
#30 Posted: 20:40:04 01/03/2015
I have a relatively old (a few months) undead skull trap... smelled today and felt it, my eyes were opened. SCREW YOU ACTIVISION!!!!!!!!
---
No Pie, No Glory!
Read my story! The Drow Mage
anyone else think gold is stupid?
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#31 Posted: 21:27:27 01/03/2015
I still don't know what "Smell" you guys are talking about. Never smelled it once.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#32 Posted: 21:28:33 01/03/2015
Quote: TrapShadowFan
I still don't know what "Smell" you guys are talking about. Never smelled it once.

that smelly smell... anchovies.
WilltheWizard Yellow Sparx Gems: 1779
#33 Posted: 21:40:38 01/03/2015
When my little brother opened up the first starter pack (SSA) He barfed.
---
Spread those positive vibes
ExcitonKnight Gold Sparx Gems: 2745
#34 Posted: 22:41:43 01/03/2015
Quote: TrapShadowFan

The smell of Toxicy plastic.
---
Merry Christmas ya filthy animal
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#35 Posted: 23:59:39 01/03/2015
Toys are toxic > dangerous for kids > recall all figures > bad reputation > end of the franchise
---
bye
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#36 Posted: 00:11:07 02/03/2015
If the toys were harmful I think some collectors who have their rooms full of them for the last 4 years would've had something happen already.
And if the effects would take a long time to set in,Acti will have left the series to die just like it does to a lot of its IPs by the time people start reporting health problems.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#37 Posted: 03:54:19 02/03/2015

That's actually a bad thing to do for plastic since it can't "breathe" and it will break down sooner.
---
#all Spyros are valid
Friendzie Blue Sparx Gems: 611
#38 Posted: 06:25:12 02/03/2015
I'm known amongst my friends and co-workers for having a very good sense of smell, but I never noticed anything out of the ordinary from my Skylanders. There is a slight smell, but it's more akin to "new car smell" than anything. Maybe it's just that it doesn't bother me, or maybe I just smell it so often that I don't think twice.
Greeble Emerald Sparx Gems: 4276
#39 Posted: 14:40:46 02/03/2015
Quote: Friendzie
I'm known amongst my friends and co-workers for having a very good sense of smell, but I never noticed anything out of the ordinary from my Skylanders. There is a slight smell, but it's more akin to "new car smell" than anything. Maybe it's just that it doesn't bother me, or maybe I just smell it so often that I don't think twice.

Same here, i have a really strong sense of smell (mainly because i'm partially deaf)

I can't say i've noticed anything to be honest, it may just be an odd batch.
---
^ You all know it's true
Eternal Harvest Green Sparx Gems: 356
#40 Posted: 23:49:50 02/03/2015
my wallop smelled like that when I opened him up, he reeked, now he's fine
Camo22 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3501
#41 Posted: 01:31:59 03/03/2015
I've had no problem with the smell of my trap marsters.

Weird?
---
=Fixing Theories since Sep, 2015 / Deviant Art =
Phoenix_Lord Gold Sparx Gems: 2061
#42 Posted: 04:57:00 03/03/2015
Call me crazy...but i don't smell my figures. smilie
---
Theres no SuperChargers Cards. So I'm making my own... smilie
Hot Dog 542 Gold Sparx Gems: 2872
#43 Posted: 06:12:30 03/03/2015
I love the new plastic smell.
---
Quote: Bimle
Why is it that so many people have hardons for dogs?
#44 Posted: 06:13:09 03/03/2015
Quote: Phoenix_Lord
Call me crazy...but i don't smell my figures. smilie

Crazy.

[User Posted Image]
---
ArkleeTerror Green Sparx Gems: 238
#45 Posted: 07:37:22 08/03/2015
ah yes, the weird plastic smell

me and my friend vilne call it the "cool wings" smell

one time i got these cheap plastic ponies with "Cool Wings!" from a grocery store, and good lord they smelled weird for a while after opening them smilie;

when getting my air and magic traps, i noticed that they had the smell at first, too. i kept telling vilne to smell them but they were wise to my scheme, heh heh
---
smilie smilie You cannot kill The Metal smilie smilie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me