darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Trap Team > Will Traps still be usable in Skylanders 5?
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3
Will Traps still be usable in Skylanders 5?
chopper34 Blue Sparx Gems: 714
#1 Posted: 04:30:55 01/01/2015 | Topic Creator
Okay so as we all know the skylanders franchise makes a new gimmick every year and since this year was trapping villains in traptanium trap do you think

we will still be able to use them. i am thinking no and this makes me sad but they always tend to drop the old gimmick in the new game .... they stopped

making giants, swapping characters, and they surely wont continue trap masters but what about the traps. We spent money to use villains and they

should give us what we paid for. Also what about the Kaos....they for sure cant not say that " oh he escaped the traps and so did every other villain else

so the traps can not be usable" that would just be a shame. Hopefully the traps are still compatible and their is a new main villain such as countmoney

bone or something like that but if they play their little scams again i don't know what i will do. So yeah that's my opinion and i wanna hear your ideas and

thoughts on what you guys think. Hopefully the traps are still compatible and we don't have to know we just wasted our money on a one time game idea.
Czar Mania Ripto Gems: 353
#2 Posted: 05:10:46 01/01/2015
I agree with you completely and would love to see the current portal be used for the next game I think I can speak for all portal masters in the respect we deserve a portal owners pack this go around and the ability to use our trapped villains since we had to shell out 5.99+ per trap or more if you wanted the steamed broccoli guy as I had too lol. I honeyly think the traps we have now will be compatible with the new game and the reason I belive this is every ssa sg sf are compatible with tt and I don't see them taking away the backwards compatibility with out a big hit to there bank accounts they will deal with the huge task of ensuring all past and present skylander toy will work on future games
Skylander3112 Gold Sparx Gems: 2115
#3 Posted: 05:52:51 01/01/2015
The traps would be like the old adventure packs, only summoning elemental attacks that are almost identical to Kaos'.
lamoracke Yellow Sparx Gems: 1635
#4 Posted: 05:53:03 01/01/2015
Well, they need to either make everything compatible again, which is probably getting harder and harder, now with traps and a new portal....

or just start over again with a reboot and hopefully a cheaper version.
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#5 Posted: 11:37:07 01/01/2015
If the next game doesnt support traps, i'm so done... but i actually already promiced myself TT was the last Skylandersgame i would get
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
tvih Green Sparx Gems: 425
#6 Posted: 12:18:16 01/01/2015
It'd be pretty annoying if they aren't. But frankly I'm not overly optimistic on the matter. At least I'm not planning on getting more than one of each trap at this point. Well, I already have one of each if counting the dark one that hasn't arrived yet.
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#7 Posted: 13:54:57 01/01/2015
If we couldn't use traps to play as our villains in the next game, that would be a TERRIBLE move. A lot of people (like me) are putting money into the traps to get one for every villain, so I could see a lot of people turning away from the game if they wouldn't be compatible. If our Skylanders can be backwards compatible with every game, then surely the same would be for the trapped villains.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
beth18 Green Sparx Gems: 316
#8 Posted: 15:05:51 01/01/2015
It be pritty stupid if thaeydidnt work because nor.aly everythjnv in preveous games work with the latest vamd eg like the swap force figuy will now work with only swap force and trap team
Sboy13 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3165
#9 Posted: 15:23:01 01/01/2015
I'd think that they would. I would still like to be able use my traps in future games. It would be a horrible decision not to retain backwards compatibility.
---
Purple dragon.
hoardergamer Green Sparx Gems: 426
#10 Posted: 15:38:51 01/01/2015
In the skylander 5 thread I suggested a portal that works the same that accepts traps but also ignition keys for elemental vehicles in an online open world. So yes, I will be more than a but upset if traps have no use in sky 5
BaronDrogo Green Sparx Gems: 300
#11 Posted: 17:37:39 01/01/2015
This is all conjecture since we are not in the inner circle of development. Of course we all want to know, but I'm sure there are only a handful of people privy to that information. Lets give them the benefit of the doubt though.They haven't made anything in Skylanders that wasn't forwards compatible in some form- so I think they will still have a function - might not be trap related - perhaps an elemental enhancement, but surely they will have a function.
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#12 Posted: 18:09:47 01/01/2015
Traps are not a simple gimmick.

They are playable characters.

We might not have new trappable villains, and they may not release them again, but, I don't see why they wouldn't work.

When you say they "dropped the gimmick", with Giants and the Swappers, you don't mean they cannot be played, or that their gimmick cannot be used.
So, why should traps be different?

Moreover, since it seems they are selling quite a lot, it would be weird if Activision decided not to keep this idea going.
Think about the possibilities. It could become the Pokèmon of the Toys to Life genre. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#13 Posted: 18:16:13 01/01/2015
New portal will have a USB port on it for plugging in an older portal, allowing you to use two portals in one game.

This will let you plug the Trap Team portal in and use traps.

Game will support four-players and online vs. battle mode.

I just made all that up and have no clue if this will happen (and seriously doubt it).
Short Cut Green Sparx Gems: 173
#14 Posted: 19:52:43 01/01/2015
I don`t really care if they dont make traps compatible in the new game. They would be nice to use in future games, though. smilie
---
Look out for any more chase variants!

smilie smilie smilie Cut to the Chase! smilie smilie smilie
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#15 Posted: 21:01:54 01/01/2015
Using villains after this game would be wrong on multiple levels.

1. It's already edgy that skylanders have imprisoned villains and use them to do their bidding. Imagine if they continued to do so? That doesn't sound too skylanderly now does it?
2. Villains are already too powerful. It has effectively played out as a "let me get out of this hard piece with my villain freebie card. It has cheapened the experience / challenge. Now I know why there's timers.
3 .Villains would distract from the next story line, or otherwise would have to somehow integrate villains into EACH AND EVERY future storyline. Not sure I want that.
4. Activision has always stated support for skylanders toys...this does not include traps. that's one of the reasons why the form factor of the toys itself is different.
5. Can you imagine poor VV supporting 200+ characters, all of the new skylanders/trap masters, AND all 40+ villains, AND introduce another 50+. Too much.
6. Use of Kaos Trap would mean Kaos is no longer the boss.

That being said, they've always found a way to keep adding and supporting to the pile of characters and finding a way to make them useless for us...no reason to believe they will fail me now lol smilie

I made a stinking mess here earlier this year complaining about not getting this innocuous question answered (granted TfB isn't developing #5) but I do know there will be fireworks one way or another on this. I'll get my popcorn ready come Feb/Mar.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 10 times - Last edited at 21:11:42 01/01/2015 by GhostRoaster
#16 Posted: 21:48:58 01/01/2015
Quote: GhostRoaster

1. It's already edgy that skylanders have imprisoned villains and use them to do their bidding. Imagine if they continued to do so? That doesn't sound too skylanderly now does it?
2. Villains are already too powerful. It has effectively played out as a "let me get out of this hard piece with my villain freebie card. It has cheapened the experience / challenge. Now I know why there's timers.
3 .Villains would distract from the next story line, or otherwise would have to somehow integrate villains into EACH AND EVERY future storyline. Not sure I want that.
4. Activision has always stated support for skylanders toys...this does not include traps. that's one of the reasons why the form factor of the toys itself is different.
5. Can you imagine poor VV supporting 200+ characters, all of the new skylanders/trap masters, AND all 40+ villains, AND introduce another 50+. Too much.

That being said, they've always found a way to keep adding and supporting to the pile of characters and finding a way to make them useless for us...no reason to believe they will fail me now lol smilie

I made a stinking mess here earlier this year complaining about not getting this innocuous question answered (granted TfB isn't developing #5) but I do know there will be fireworks one way or another on this. I'll get my popcorn ready come Feb/Mar.

Okay, if I may...

1. I... can kinda see that.
2. Prime examples being Sheep Creep and Eye Scream. But in all seriousness, most Trap Team-related videos I watch nowadays that aren't let's plays or walkthroughs hardly use villains. Though I can see quite a few people doing this (myself included).
3. Because they integrated the Swap Force into Trap Team's story, right?
4. Skylanders figures are pieces of plastic that you put on the portal and allow you to play as a character. The traps are pieces of plastic that you put on the portal and allow you to play as a villain.
5. So just introduce fewer characters, or make no reposes. Problem solved.
6. Then they either introduce someone new or have his mom take over.
---
Check this out! Please?
mantez Emerald Sparx Gems: 3167
#17 Posted: 22:01:31 01/01/2015
There will be some kind of add on to buy as traps are clearly doing okay in sales. So I think they may work but likely to be gimped so the new thing can take it's place.

As for the trapped Kaos issue people seem to be having. Here is just one way around it. Kaos escaped the villain vault and left a clone behind so no one would be suspicious. The could easily explain 1. How you could still use Kaos and 2. Why he would be gimped.
---
Gullible is not in the dictionary.
wild_defender Green Sparx Gems: 465
#18 Posted: 22:37:13 01/01/2015
I've been worried since the start . I think they should've made the traps into magic items instead or at least a new type of item to put on the portal , As putting the little crystal slot and speaker on each new game portal seems annoying .

I think they will allow the traps to be used in the next game though as I think as soon as news got out that traps weren't useable, stores and the company would really struggle to get rid of their remaining stock of traps.

But I also think that maybe the next game will have a new mechanic like co op, but instead your partner is a computer controlled ally. It'd work cool to hav a AI villain or another skylanders following you . Maybe create attack combos with them or something.
---
Anyone else think Short Cut should be making jokes about running with scissors?
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#19 Posted: 22:41:54 01/01/2015

This is were I disagree with you. Once you trap a villain and listen to their dialogue, MOST of them seemingly turn good. They'll compliment the Skylander, ask if they can work at the academy and say they're ready to fight.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#20 Posted: 22:45:29 01/01/2015
yes they will not be usable. vv will do something complete new and their own thing.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:46:10 01/01/2015 by CountMoneyBone
#21 Posted: 01:51:39 02/01/2015

Adam already kinda made the point, but...

1. Villains are now good. They are happy to help the Skylanders.
2. It's your choice to spam them to overcome every problem. You can simply use them only when needed, instead.
3. Just like the Giants and the Swappers iterferred with Trap Team. Doesn't matter if they are villains, and not Skylanders, they are still playable characters, and there's no "storyline" issue with that.
4. That's the only non-questionable thing: traps are NOT Skylanders. They are magic items that contain trappable villains. However, they are still playable characters, and not making them playable would make a lot of fans upset.
5. Ooooh, poor V.V.. I'm so sorry they will have to develop a high quality game that encounters the standard of it's predecessors, and that will justify the price of it.
Maybe this will encourage them to reduce the number of reposes, this time.
6. That's not an actual problem, but remember that Kaos is also a Portal Master, just like us, so I don't think it would be that difficult for him, to escape the trap, and leave a dark magic clone inside it.
He already escaped the toy form in Giants, after all...

Oh, and, don't want to sound rude, but, if you find your old gimmick characters useless, and need an actual reason to play them, other than enjoy what you bought, well, then maybe that's not the franchise for you.

Never bought a single character just because "I needed him to 100% the game " and I think that's the right philosofy to be happy, with this series. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#22 Posted: 03:21:45 02/01/2015
Even if Skylanders 5 won't support the Traps, at least I'll keep some of them since they look pretty cool.
#23 Posted: 04:33:01 02/01/2015
No one doesn't need to retort why they think I'm wrong, because you know I'm right. The skylanders being "useless" comment was about how they build the fight and statistics into the new game, and fail to contain the balance or feature set that was in a character. There's threads galore here, go research yourself.

I'm totally numb on having vs not having support for traps. We've already been disappointed with not having "total" integration of a feature in future games, save for VV's token effort to include Giants only chests. I'd personally love it if certain "paywalls" are in a new game based on villain capabilties, like ShredNaught's use in Mystic Mill. But we all know that won't happen---and that was my point.

I personally think having a villain in a trap that's welcome to help the skylander sounds a bit evil to me. Why not let him free from his traptanium cage then? It just doesn't sit well with me. They are bad, fight for good, but remain in their traptanium jail cells, ready to be at the beck and call of a skylander. Yeah, I'm sure these guys are all grins to help out. Now, if this type of power "corrupts" skylanders in a future episode with a good story line, buy all means...go for it.

Frankly, I don't care how you go about buying toys (or not buying toys) for these series...I'm offering up reasons why I think traps "could" be a bad idea. I've loved the mechanic, but it fits the story I'm in. Frankly, if they were included...they would be nerfed...and considering many are just plain boring or don't have significant "star" power like a full featured skylander, I'd vote for a "no please." If they were included I would not include a Villain Vault which would force someone to crank up Trap Team to load up their traps. Hmmm...buying more traps might now be important.

Having a trap mechanic to support capture of FUTURE villains sounds like a cool idea at first, but now you have an army of skylanders and now they are strong arming all of the evil doers into doing their bidding too? It kinda gets rid of the good vs evil thing to me entirely. Why even have bad guys in the game anymore? Food for thought.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 04:45:38 02/01/2015 by GhostRoaster
wild_defender Green Sparx Gems: 465
#24 Posted: 06:05:46 02/01/2015
If traps didn't get built into the next game, it's probly not a bad thing . Do you really want just another game where the aim is to catch a bunch more pointless villains ? Or would you rather a new concept?

trap team was specifically about catching all the villains that Kaos let out of the prison using the traps that were fragments of the prison. You completed that mission.

Even though a lot of you don't want your money wasted from buying ALL the traps, you did only need 11, activision didn't make you buy more then 9 traps after the 2 in the starter.

I'm happy with the 11 traps I have and feel that I got their worth in the gameplay they have provided. And it wouldn't be a waste if they weren't useable for the next game coz I like replaying the old games anyway.
---
Anyone else think Short Cut should be making jokes about running with scissors?
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#25 Posted: 06:53:36 02/01/2015
Knowing Activision, they'll almost definitely give us a slap in the face and drop the trap gimmick. If there's still a slot for traps, they'll probably just be some Lightcore-esque flashbomb. I still have hopes though, and I really hope I can still use Kaos, Painyatta, and Nightshade in the next game.
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#26 Posted: 12:55:37 02/01/2015
Quote: TheShadowDragon
Even if Skylanders 5 won't support the Traps, at least I'll keep some of them since they look pretty cool.

you could drill a hole in them and use them as jewelry around your neck, a key holder for the car keys, christmas tree ligths or maybe even as door stoppers... the usage is endless smilie
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:56:59 02/01/2015 by CountMoneyBone
MetaVolca Green Sparx Gems: 464
#27 Posted: 22:10:17 02/01/2015
There's one problem though. If the traps are useable in the 5th game, how would you switch the villains? They can't do it that the villain vault is there with all the villians already unlocked, because then the game would either be
1 WAY unfair for the people who did 100% Trap Team and caught all the villians since there will be people who probably didn't play trap team and just go to the 5th
Or 2 WAY too easy since you'd already have the strongest villians at the start of the game!
And don't say "Oh we will just fight them again" because that would mean they made the same game twice! Anyway, that's my rant. If anyone thinks they have a solution to this problem, please reply!
Thank you God bless
---
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
Mesuxelf Ripto Gems: 3666
#28 Posted: 22:12:41 02/01/2015
Quote: MetaVolca
There's one problem though. If the traps are useable in the 5th game, how would you switch the villains? They can't do it that the villain vault is there with all the villians already unlocked, because then the game would either be
1 WAY unfair for the people who did 100% Trap Team and caught all the villians since there will be people who probably didn't play trap team and just go to the 5th
Or 2 WAY too easy since you'd already have the strongest villians at the start of the game!
And don't say "Oh we will just fight them again" because that would mean they made the same game twice! Anyway, that's my rant. If anyone thinks they have a solution to this problem, please reply!
Thank you God bless

Why'd you have to ruin my dreeeeeeams?
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#29 Posted: 22:16:51 02/01/2015

Yeah, the traps can be a nice collection.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
MetaVolca Green Sparx Gems: 464
#30 Posted: 22:21:22 02/01/2015
Quote: Mesuxelf
Thank you God bless

I'm ... Im not... Im not really... Sure how... I ..." Ruined" .your... Dreams...explanation plez?
---
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
#31 Posted: 22:33:23 02/01/2015
Quote: chopper34
Okay so as we all know the skylanders franchise makes a new gimmick every year and since this year was trapping villains in traptanium trap do you think

we will still be able to use them. i am thinking no and this makes me sad but they always tend to drop the old gimmick in the new game .... they stopped

making giants, swapping characters, and they surely wont continue trap masters but what about the traps. We spent money to use villains and they

should give us what we paid for. Also what about the Kaos....they for sure cant not say that " oh he escaped the traps and so did every other villain else

so the traps can not be usable" that would just be a shame. Hopefully the traps are still compatible and their is a new main villain such as countmoney

bone or something like that but if they play their little scams again i don't know what i will do. So yeah that's my opinion and i wanna hear your ideas and

thoughts on what you guys think. Hopefully the traps are still compatible and we don't have to know we just wasted our money on a one time game idea.

Holy mother of formatting...
Quote: Mesuxelf
Thank you God bless

I'm ... Im not... Im not really... Sure how... I ..." Ruined" .your... Dreams...explanation plez?

Meh drem waz 3 haz treps in skylranadrez 5 nd u aplied lojic 1 it nd nao im sad smilie
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#32 Posted: 22:33:54 02/01/2015
[...]2 WAY too easy since you'd already have the strongest villians at the start of the game!

How is this different than having Level 20 Maxed out Skylanders from the old game when the new game comes out.
#33 Posted: 22:35:57 02/01/2015
Quote: UncleBob
[...]2 WAY too easy since you'd already have the strongest villians at the start of the game!

How is this different than having Level 20 Maxed out Skylanders from the old game when the new game comes out.

Well, I don't use my old skylanders usually until I've beaten the game...
mantez Emerald Sparx Gems: 3167
#34 Posted: 22:55:56 02/01/2015
Thank you God bless

They could make so the villain vault unlocks when you beat the game. The games have expanding hubs as the story progresses so it could be one of the things that unlocks at the end.
---
Gullible is not in the dictionary.
#35 Posted: 23:13:37 02/01/2015
Quote: mantez
Thank you God bless

They could make so the villain vault unlocks when you beat the game. The games have expanding hubs as the story progresses so it could be one of the things that unlocks at the end.

Thank you for rebuilding my dreams :')
#36 Posted: 23:20:57 02/01/2015
Quote: Aura24

Still, I'm gonna by mighty disappointed if we can't play as those villains in Sky 5.
---
Check this out! Please?
FaboulousFab Yellow Sparx Gems: 1247
#37 Posted: 23:23:14 02/01/2015
The other (commercial) solution is one vilain = one trap, if you want to have all of them available buy enough traps.
Could be an activision logical.
---
Marge: But I thought broccoli was...
Dr. Hibbert: Oh yes. One of the deadliest plants on earth. It tries to warn you itself with its terrible taste.
tvih Green Sparx Gems: 425
#38 Posted: 23:55:20 02/01/2015
GhostRoaster brought up the "villains are too powerful" thing. It's actually something I agree on, some of the villains are just far too effective, especially when combined with the fact that they can take a heck of a lot more beating before their bar runs out than your supposedly powerful Skylander can. Often you can just facetank new villains you encounter by picking up a suitable old one. It's kinda disheartening to play as a Skylander you like and have trouble - or rather, it taking too long - killing even normal enemies on Hard difficulty, when you could just switch to a Villain and kill them all quite literally in one blow (like with Hood Sickle). Also the villains don't seem to have their abilities interrupted most of the time, while Skylanders do (say, Chill's Orca attack build up, or starting the rotor blade charge with Chopper). It's bad enough that the balance between different Skylanders is really poorly done (or in other words, not done at all), but when the same is true of the villains it gets to be quite a bummer. For gameplay and immersion both.

But even so it would be nice if the traps were usable in the next game. As said I'm dubious that that'll actually happen, but who knows. But if they did implement them, they'd have to do some rebalancing in my opinion. To play a little pun, they're way too much of a "get out of jail free" card as it is.
#39 Posted: 00:37:48 03/01/2015
Thank you God bless

Think about the hats.

You will have a Villain Vault-like structure, but you will have to manually load every Trap Team villain in the new game, just like with the hats.

Once loaded, you can use and switch them whenever you want.

Trap Team players would get a big bonus, but the new ones would still be able to play the fifth game normally,
They could also load their villains from a friend's game, and then use in their Skylanders 5 copy.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Skylanders7469 Blue Sparx Gems: 834
#40 Posted: 07:44:17 04/01/2015
My opinion is from a financial poin of view. Activision must of made a lot a money of those traps. So what I think they will do is make a hole new story line (maybe glumshanks?) with more trapable villians that you can catch as well as being able to play with your old ones as well.
---
smilie born to burn smilie
#41 Posted: 08:52:42 04/01/2015
Quote: AdamGregory03

Still, I'm gonna by mighty disappointed if we can't play as those villains in Sky 5.

You'll get used to disappointment. The current gimmick is about the current game. They've stripped current game usefulness of a gimmick in future games...proof:

1. Core skylanders had single elemental gates...around the longest (3 games...) to be broken by the requirement of Trap Masters in Tram Team.
2. Giants no longer have content specific areas, and most strategic aspects Giants as based off don't apply to future games.
3. Swap Force had multi zone gates and swap zones...all of which are no longer in play.
4. Villains....where do you think you fit in?

The only difference in the above that I can't factor in is that everything up to TT was about skylanders. It was easy to assume any gimmick that's a skylander simply moves forward. Now being villains, and in a different type of toy at that...has me perplexed.

Also, even IF supported, this would paint skylanders into a sadistic story line, where villains are forever trapped and called upon to do their bidding. And, expect major nerfing to happen...as in Wolfgang's 240/500+ attacks to be reduced by 70% or more. Endless notes? Not on your life. smilie

Keep in mind that I only have ~10 villains left to capture, and I can name maybe 1/4 of them that's even worthy of moving forward in any game. The rest just lack the charisma, personality or fire power. 3+ troll villains? SredNaught and Threatpack seem to be the best. Of course, most of the Doom Raiders... also pretty much disappointed about how some villain fights could've been a ton better or more involved. In that respect, I like VV's approach to make villain fights VERY special, even if there's fewer of them. I was drinking from a firehose...sometimes a villain in my trap stayed in for 2 minutes before I had to swap them out for a quest or to fight another villain---it was a dis-service in getting some game time with this guys and form a bond. In my opinion...Wolfgang is pretty much the first official boss fight (meaning it stands out) to me personally and it's level 12. Chef Pepper Jack and Dreamcatcher stand out as a minor villain fight.

This is my ancient story scroll about content vs toys. They've turned it so much upside down in this game it's not even worth talking about.
---
Edited 7 times - Last edited at 09:05:57 04/01/2015 by GhostRoaster
#42 Posted: 02:25:41 05/01/2015

You'll get used to disappointment. The current gimmick is about the current game. They've stripped current game usefulness of a gimmick in future games...proof:

1. Core skylanders had single elemental gates...around the longest (3 games...) to be broken by the requirement of Trap Masters in Tram Team.
2. Giants no longer have content specific areas, and most strategic aspects Giants as based off don't apply to future games.
3. Swap Force had multi zone gates and swap zones...all of which are no longer in play.
4. Villains....where do you think you fit in?

The only difference in the above that I can't factor in is that everything up to TT was about skylanders. It was easy to assume any gimmick that's a skylander simply moves forward. Now being villains, and in a different type of toy at that...has me perplexed.

Also, even IF supported, this would paint skylanders into a sadistic story line, where villains are forever trapped and called upon to do their bidding. And, expect major nerfing to happen...as in Wolfgang's 240/500+ attacks to be reduced by 70% or more. Endless notes? Not on your life. smilie

Keep in mind that I only have ~10 villains left to capture, and I can name maybe 1/4 of them that's even worthy of moving forward in any game. The rest just lack the charisma, personality or fire power. 3+ troll villains? SredNaught and Threatpack seem to be the best. Of course, most of the Doom Raiders... also pretty much disappointed about how some villain fights could've been a ton better or more involved. In that respect, I like VV's approach to make villain fights VERY special, even if there's fewer of them. I was drinking from a firehose...sometimes a villain in my trap stayed in for 2 minutes before I had to swap them out for a quest or to fight another villain---it was a dis-service in getting some game time with this guys and form a bond. In my opinion...Wolfgang is pretty much the first official boss fight (meaning it stands out) to me personally and it's level 12. Chef Pepper Jack and Dreamcatcher stand out as a minor villain fight.

This is my ancient story scroll about content vs toys. They've turned it so much upside down in this game it's not even worth talking about.

I absolutely agree about one thing: it's not worth talking about this, if you want to keep denying the reality.

All the characters made 'till now are playable in Trap Team and probably in the next game, and traps contain playable characters.
It doesn't matter if they have a true "utility", or if they can just be used for fun, they are all still playable, and that's a fact.

I can still use and swap my Swappers, and my Giants can still lift boulders and destroy big walls.

Nerfing villains? Why? It's your choice to use them to the point of being boring, and just spam their attacks to quickly end a level.
I personally don't find it funny, but tastes are tastes.

Agree with you on Dreamchatcher's battle, not on Pepper Jack's. One of the best battles, in my opinion.

I personally think the majority of the villains have more charisma and personality then a good portion of the Skylanders. And that kinda makes sense, since bad guys are often more charismatic than the heroes.

Trap Team got it COMPLETELY WRONG with the Elemental Gates, but that doesn't mean this won't change, in the fifth game.
Oh, and, Cores can still build turrets in the Kaos Doom Challenge's levels, so, they are not completely "useless".

Except the first part, which, as I previously stated, is a fact, the other are just personal opinions.
Just a way to show that different persons can have very different ideas. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#43 Posted: 02:56:38 05/01/2015
Drek tells it like it is.
---
Check this out! Please?
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#44 Posted: 06:45:05 05/01/2015
Activision will wait until all waves are released so that their profits on these plastic traps will be maximized before announcing that traps won't be used in the next game. They don't want you to use your $6 trap which cost them maybe 75 cents at most to make in the next game when they can peddle some new $6 gimmick which will cost them 75 cents to make. It's all lost profit to them if you could just use your old traps and there was nothing to replace that void for the next go around. Activision is damn sure the franchise is on the decline with limited days ahead with the shared toys to life market with Disney Infinity and Amiibo, so they will milk the cash cow dry bigtime with the next game praying there's enough of a fan base left to squeeze out maybe one last profitable game after Skylanders 5. Face it...you guys all know that this onslaught of 60+ Trap Team items between new characters/elements, reposes, minis, elites, expansion packs, and traps isn't for the preservation for the longevity of the franchise...it's for padding the pockets of Activision while they actively seek out their next cash cow project.
#45 Posted: 11:38:16 05/01/2015
Quote: mastermc54
Activision will wait until all waves are released so that their profits on these plastic traps will be maximized before announcing that traps won't be used in the next game. They don't want you to use your $6 trap which cost them maybe 75 cents at most to make in the next game when they can peddle some new $6 gimmick which will cost them 75 cents to make. It's all lost profit to them if you could just use your old traps and there was nothing to replace that void for the next go around. Activision is damn sure the franchise is on the decline with limited days ahead with the shared toys to life market with Disney Infinity and Amiibo, so they will milk the cash cow dry bigtime with the next game praying there's enough of a fan base left to squeeze out maybe one last profitable game after Skylanders 5. Face it...you guys all know that this onslaught of 60+ Trap Team items between new characters/elements, reposes, minis, elites, expansion packs, and traps isn't for the preservation for the longevity of the franchise...it's for padding the pockets of Activision while they actively seek out their next cash cow project.

Uuuuh... No?

We don't have any clue, as of now, if they will or will not be playable, but, this whole "Activision just wants to make tons of money, and doesn't care if we are or we are not happy or satisfied, MUHAHAHAHAHAHA" thing is not funny anymore, and it's starting to get a bit annoying.

Activision is a publisher, ok?
TfB and V.V. (in a minor part also Beenox) are the developers and designers of the main console series.
The Traptanium Gate only idea was probably Activision's fault, but, I think they learned from their mistakes, and won't repeat a thing like this again.

You guys have to start realizing that Activision as a publisher OBVIOUSLY wants to make money, but also cares about his old and possible new customers.

I don't think they will create another 6$ gimmick, if it isn't worth it.

And I also don't think they will stop at the fifth game, if the series keeps these quality standards.

People can make mistakes, and Activision IS made of people. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Psychomancer Yellow Sparx Gems: 1374
#46 Posted: 13:17:21 05/01/2015
I think that they probably will not useable. I'll be truly surprised if Skylanders 5 supports them. And it's ok to me if the next game drop the traps and villains. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the trap mechanic. But that trapping is what makes Trap Team unique, and special, is his thing. New game, new story focus, new gimmick.

Quote: lamoracke
Well, they need to either make everything compatible again, which is probably getting harder and harder, now with traps and a new portal....

I am not completely againts the idea of a reboot either. Trap Team is my favorite game of the series, but is also the more glitchy of them. If a reboot, with fewer characters, means a game more polished, less rushed and with less glitches, by all means go for it.
---
Behold, my Catchphrase of Doom!
PMTgaming150 Gold Sparx Gems: 2238
#47 Posted: 13:20:23 05/01/2015
They better not drop traps next game because people are spending quite a bit of money on these things and if they stop trap support people will probably stop playing because they got ripped off. And completionists out there will want them all and when next game rolls around and they drop traps they will start not playing or buying figures anymore, so in conclusion don't drop traps acti or youre gonna lose some customers
---
MS paint DIO stares into your soul
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#48 Posted: 13:25:16 05/01/2015
Quote: Psychomancer
I think that they probably will not useable. I'll be truly surprised if Skylanders 5 supports them. And it's ok to me if the next game drop the traps and villains. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the trap mechanic. But that trapping is what makes Trap Team unique, and special, is his thing. New game, new story focus, new gimmick.

Quote: lamoracke

I am not completely againts the idea of a reboot either. Trap Team is my favorite game of the series, but is also the more glitchy of them. If a reboot, with fewer characters, means a game more polished, less rushed and with less glitches, by all means go for it.

I think that is because Beenox actually developed the next game versions.
And apparently, they aren't mature enough, as a software house, to develop a game this big, yet.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#49 Posted: 13:48:02 05/01/2015
Quote: Drek95
I absolutely agree about one thing: it's not worth talking about this, if you want to keep denying the reality.

All the characters made 'till now are playable in Trap Team and probably in the next game, and traps contain playable characters.
It doesn't matter if they have a true "utility", or if they can just be used for fun, they are all still playable, and that's a fact.

I can still use and swap my Swappers, and my Giants can still lift boulders and destroy big walls.

Nerfing villains? Why? It's your choice to use them to the point of being boring, and just spam their attacks to quickly end a level.
I personally don't find it funny, but tastes are tastes.

Agree with you on Dreamchatcher's battle, not on Pepper Jack's. One of the best battles, in my opinion.

I personally think the majority of the villains have more charisma and personality then a good portion of the Skylanders. And that kinda makes sense, since bad guys are often more charismatic than the heroes.

Trap Team got it COMPLETELY WRONG with the Elemental Gates, but that doesn't mean this won't change, in the fifth game.
Oh, and, Cores can still build turrets in the Kaos Doom Challenge's levels, so, they are not completely "useless".

Except the first part, which, as I previously stated, is a fact, the other are just personal opinions.
Just a way to show that different persons can have very different ideas. smilie

Drek, I acknowledge that previous series characters are playable...I'm simply saying that traps aren't characters per se because of the form factor of the physical toy combined with official statements made by Activsiion. I'll meet you halfway and say they "may" provide playability for them but it will start and end there. Don't expect to be able to evolve villains or anything else. I'll also say they may only allow them in certain gameplay modes and not the main story for reasons I've already described. You can continue to hope traps will be supported just as I have had hope in many other areas of the franchise get dashed. We'll see soon enough.

My comment on nerfing is based on the fact that they've done a fairly consistent job at nerfing or undermining characters in subsequent games. To not know that is simply ignoring reality as well. smilie

I've underestimated some of the villains, but it's mainly because there's too many to get game time with a lot of them. The fact that many of the quests are in the same or subsequent levels underscore that fact.

Up to TT I've wanted characters to continue having their unique perspectives represented in gameplay itself--and up to now it's not happened. I guess we must all submit to the "reality" that Activision's idea of supporting a character is showing up in the game and that's it. I'll adjust my rationale on the series (and decrease it's worth to me personally) accordingly. I understand that the gimmick gets focus in the game it's introduced--my hopes is to have some of that continue on in some way--even in new and fresh perspectives. That's a pipe dream now anyway since they're dumping other content that's been the series mainstay.

Drek tells it like it is.

Yeah, and so do I.
---
Edited 7 times - Last edited at 13:59:14 05/01/2015 by GhostRoaster
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#50 Posted: 14:12:47 05/01/2015
Quote: Drek95
Quote: mastermc54

Uuuuh... No?

We don't have any clue, as of now, if they will or will not be playable, but, this whole "Activision just wants to make tons of money, and doesn't care if we are or we are not happy or satisfied, MUHAHAHAHAHAHA" thing is not funny anymore, and it's starting to get a bit annoying.

Activision is a publisher, ok?
TfB and V.V. (in a minor part also Beenox) are the developers and designers of the main console series.
The Traptanium Gate only idea was probably Activision's fault, but, I think they learned from their mistakes, and won't repeat a thing like this again.

You guys have to start realizing that Activision as a publisher OBVIOUSLY wants to make money, but also cares about his old and possible new customers.

I don't think they will create another 6$ gimmick, if it isn't worth it.

And I also don't think they will stop at the fifth game, if the series keeps these quality standards.

People can make mistakes, and Activision IS made of people. smilie

You seem to be defending Activision quite a bit for this being a speculation thread, so we all know where you stand on this little "debate" you're having with forum members. If you care to be balanced, look at Activision's history of franchises and start talking about how they crashed and burned Guitar/Band Hero into the ground after milking all the profits they could out of it. How does Activision care about it's old and possibly new customers of that franchise? They are a profit-driven company...not your warm and fuzzy friend that will indefinitely give you a quality Skylanders product year after year. You're obviously getting pissy with the money grubbing comments about Activision "not being funny anymore," so put on your big boy pants and start looking at the past history of Activision as a company in this discussion.
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me