Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
Mod applications? [CLOSED]
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#51 Posted: 23:19:38 05/09/2014
Actually, the Plato quote supoorts exactly what so many folks are complaining about... doesn't fall flat at all.

I've been made.a mod on five different forums, still a mod on two... two others no longer exist and one I just stopped going to. On each of these forums, I never sought out to be a mod and never volunteered... I was asked every time. if I had to guess why, I'd say it was because of my ability to use the Report button instead of going off the handle... but that is just a guess.

Anywhoo... I hope that if dark does decide that the site needs more moderation, he considers a different method for deciding who to choose. I don't think more mods is necessarily the silver bullet to any particular issues on this site though.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#52 Posted: 23:24:07 05/09/2014
But why would you said we're "misunderstanding" dark, when it's already proven, possibly without you knowing, that he has done some things that justify our doubts of him?
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:34:20 05/09/2014 by Aura24
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6239
#53 Posted: 23:25:14 05/09/2014
The problem is that the application system was used before and those who were seeking power through applying were inevitably chosen. Claiming that those who don't deserve power should they seek it in this situation doesn't work since the people who are already in power sought that power.
Also worth noting that even if you are asked to be a mod, accepting it means you desired that power, even if you weren't outright going for it at first.

Many of us do use the report button. That doesn't mean anything in this instance, especially if reports could fall on deaf ears as far as the admin is concerned.

More mods is not the solution to the problem, nor is it what people are asking for. What people are asking for are different mods, since the general consensus is that only a handful of the current mods are good at their job.
#54 Posted: 23:37:57 05/09/2014
I disagree that accepting a responsibility when asked is equal to actively seeking that responsibility. If my only sister is in a car accident and I agree to take in my nephew, that doesn't mean I was actively trying to have kids.

As for the more mods vs. New mods... We can agree that, at the very least, some of the mods are doing a great job. Why not give them a global moderator status? Different mods on different subforums tends to make for an uneven moderation system and is something I have been outspoke aganst before. Promote the mods who are doing a great job. Then, if they feel they need support or help, they can reach out to dark with suggestions of individuals that they think would make good support for them.
#55 Posted: 23:43:00 05/09/2014
I didn't say that they are equal. But it's worth acknowledging that accepting a voluntary thing like a moderator position is based partly on a desire to have that position (and in turn, that power).

Only a handful of the mods (3 off the top of my head) are particularly good at their jobs. While I'm all for your idea, there's still the glaring issue that Dark doesn't listen to most suggestions, and certainly isn't willing to bring in new mods. When she announced her resignation, Wakapro spoke of a desire to get someone new on the team to take her place instead of having an already existing mod take her sections. I don't know what happened behind the scenes, but it's clear that whatever Waka was trying to do, Dark wasn't accepting it, and instead just had existing mods take her sections.

There's no "misunderstanding" of Dark here. He will not listen to these suggestions. It would be nice, but it won't happen. You actually have a better shot of getting a new slate of mods through threads like this than him adding onto the already existing team because the mods asked for it.
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#56 Posted: 00:49:05 06/09/2014
Quote: Aura24
That was... unusually defensive of you, Count. Not like it's a bad thing.

Still, I think when the time comes, I hope dark will thoroughly look through the applications if he does another mod application thing in the future.

i am new member, i joined a couple a months ago, i dont like to be accused to be someone i am not. i just felt i had to say something, i dont see any wrong in that. if there is a need for a mod and there is a mod application i will use it. as i have the experience and can give my time and help if needed.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#57 Posted: 01:10:37 06/09/2014
And I understand that. You are a nice person, and can't be the same user who tormented me back in 2013 under yet another alias. If you do apply for mod when the time comes, good luck.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:37:26 06/09/2014 by Aura24
Wild Platinum Sparx Gems: 5045
#58 Posted: 02:17:08 06/09/2014
I'll probably return to the current discussion later with my thoughts. I don't have a lot of sitting time right now.

Quote: CAV
Wakapro spoke of a desire to get someone new on the team to take her place instead of having an already existing mod take her sections. I don't know what happened behind the scenes, but it's clear that whatever Waka was trying to do, Dark wasn't accepting it, and instead just had existing mods take her sections.

I was completely unaware that I wasn't who she suggested take her place. I wish I knew more about the situation before I accepted.
#59 Posted: 02:51:05 06/09/2014
^I don't know what happened behind the scenes. All I know was that she once mentioned in her thread that she was gonna talk to Dark about getting someone new to take the sections.

How long that idea lasted, if at all, is something I don't know.
#60 Posted: 04:38:41 06/09/2014
Quote: CAV
I didn't say that they are equal. But it's worth acknowledging that accepting a voluntary thing like a moderator position is based partly on a desire to have that position (and in turn, that power).

No. Not at all. Accepting a voluntary thing like a moderator position *could* be based off a desire to have power - but sometimes, it's about recognizing that you've been asked to help the forum you enjoy to be a better place. For some folks, that's it.
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me