Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Previous | Page 50 of 54 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54
Unpopular Opinions [STICKY]
semp123 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3232
#2451 Posted: 03:08:23 02/05/2020
Quote: TheFlyingSeal
I might get **** for this, but the iconic phrase, "I walk through the valley of the shadow of death," is actually quite clunky. When it's read out loud it just doesn't sound right. In the phrase's own defense, its origin was from the Bible, which has been translated and re-written multiple times. So of course it sounds kinda weird.

My issue stems from the popular use of the phrase in literature, to songs, to even news articles. Like, I get it, it sounds super cool on paper! But it does NOT read well and it ruins the flow of your own work. If you wanna allude to it that's super cool and dandy, but at least like,,,,re-phrase it so it flows better??

I used to kind of dislike writing that flowed that way but I kind of gained an appreciation for it after getting through Gravity's Rainbow (after many headaches early on). Maybe there's a key difference or something between being just obscure/flowing weirdly versus that phrase that I'm missing though; pretty sure you and Metallo have a much better grasp of how to write than I do.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#2452 Posted: 12:57:46 12/05/2020
With the quarantine I've been hearing as of late a lot of instances where Discord just decides not to work proper, Sess, that's not too out there. People reporting their mics just never getting picked up, screensharing being slow or fast is sometimes a coin flip, one of my friends just getting repeatedly disconnected and connected for 10 seconds. I still prefer it over Skype because Skype's issues were *big* on my end, but it's a thing.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Iceclaw Hunter Gems: 9954
#2453 Posted: 18:42:51 12/05/2020
The mic cut out thing I've had since I got Discord years ago, it's always been there for me and it's never been fixed on my end and still continues to this day. Even after fiddling with mic settings where it shouldn't be causing any issue.

I always get frequent connection problems on Discord that I rarely get on Skype as well when it comes to sending messages. It's mostly on mobile.

For large groups, I prefer Discord due to the channel-organising system and the stuff you can do with helpful bots.
For calls of any kind though, I vastly prefer Skype. Calling is almost impossible for me on Discord unless I'm on mobile due to how frequent those cut-off issues are (although it's been pretty stable for one specific server for some reason and I'm not sure why).
---
Twinkies and 2hus
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6419
#2454 Posted: 22:37:07 12/05/2020
Pete Davidson isn't funny
Vespi Gold Sparx Gems: 2866
#2455 Posted: 18:21:00 15/05/2020
1. Rogue One
2. Revenge of the Sith (with the context of Clone Wars)
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. Last Jedi
5. Solo
6. A New Hope
7. The Force Awakens
8. Return of the Jedi
9. Attack of the Clones
10. The Phantom Menace
11. Clone Wars (film)
12. Rise of Skywalker

I am fully ready to be crucified for this. I have accepted I'm worthless and going to hell. Hurt me harder.
#2456 Posted: 04:37:32 16/05/2020
The beef between Brand New and Taking Back Sunday doesn't matter.
BlueFox Emerald Sparx Gems: 3096
#2457 Posted: 18:49:41 16/05/2020
I think the Original/Reignited art direction looks a whole lot toonier, and I guess therefore kiddier, than the Skylanders series. I saw someone say Skylanders Spyro belongs in a Fisher-Price lineup, and I just don’t see it. To me, up until Dawn of the Dragon, the three designs look equally targeted towards a younger audience. Charles Zembillas’ shape language is especially quirky, and Nicolas Kole and company really elevated that.

I hate using the word kiddy, and I’m certainly not disparaging any art style. It’s just been bothering me for a while, where people draw the line in the sand.
---
Where’s the account deletion button when you need one?
#2458 Posted: 18:55:36 16/05/2020
The Reach belongs to the Forsworn and I will die on that hill any day
willspyro Ripto Gems: 5862
#2459 Posted: 20:13:39 16/05/2020
Mug is the best root beer
#2460 Posted: 00:39:15 17/05/2020
Quote: willspyro
Mug is the best root beer

but barqs has bite
#2461 Posted: 23:42:42 19/05/2020
Barqs too flat smilie
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3859
#2462 Posted: 23:56:41 19/05/2020
no u gotta mix all of the sodas together
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
#2463 Posted: 02:29:54 20/05/2020
Quote: willspyro
Barqs too flat smilie

yeah because the air in the soda is what we drink it for
kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
#2464 Posted: 15:39:07 22/05/2020
A&W always wins, hands down
---
I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
#2465 Posted: 16:12:42 22/05/2020
Quote: kardonis
A&W always wins, hands down

A&W is acceptable especially their vanilla cream soda
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12740
#2466 Posted: 16:47:46 22/05/2020
I don't mind the chunkier KFC fries with the skins on. I also prefer them because they always come unsalted, so you can have as little or as much salt on them as you want.
#2467 Posted: 22:03:41 22/05/2020
Quote: FedUpWolf
I don't like macdonalds fries they just taste like salt

This opinion is illegal.

Quote: alicecarp
I don't mind the chunkier KFC fries with the skins on. I also prefer them because they always come unsalted, so you can have as little or as much salt on them as you want.

This opinion is alright.
#2468 Posted: 22:34:46 22/05/2020
^You're opinions on said opinions are alright.
#2469 Posted: 22:35:10 23/05/2020
Squidbillies is hilarious
#2470 Posted: 07:37:48 28/05/2020
1. You aren’t born into this world owing anyone anything.
2. Forge your own path that makes you happy, as long as the ends justify the means and you’re a decent person along the way.
3. The world isn’t as black and white as people can make it out to be. Be a good person by destroying the bad from within, or use your voice to speak out against clear corruption, but don’t do it to destoy others for your own gain. Leave the world a batter place than you left it through your words and actions.
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8399
#2471 Posted: 23:26:59 31/05/2020 | Topic Creator
I really dislike how the internet will pick some random old celeb to be a meme. Because when they say something that people from their age would say people feel betrayed and that they don't care about the actor as an actor but as a joke
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:27:25 31/05/2020 by somePerson
#2472 Posted: 19:28:27 01/06/2020
yes activism is good, and yes silence can be bad.

but saying everyone who is silent is bad isn't necessarily correct. you have to understand why someone is being quiet. if someone is quiet bc they're against human rights, that's 100% bad. but some people are silent because they don't have a complete understanding of a situation and don't want to promote false information. some people are in situations where their lives will be ruined if they speak up. some people don't have a platform that would be effective for promoting good causes.

some people *ahem, me* are quiet because they're not sure if they can deal with the fallout of promoting something. heck, protests are even hard for me bc i hate crowds. saying "everyone who is silent is bad"; is a harmful simplification. it puts people who might agree with a cause but are unable to speak in danger of being purged.

that being said, i personally agree with the acab sentiment. in general, i feel that our governing systems need to be more humanitarian in function and not only on paper. not sure if that nullifies my previous point, but i think i need to clarify that in case people think i don't want there to be change. i think i'm in the minority because i have issues that sometimes make even normal conversation difficult.

whoo boy might delete this if things get too heated. i feel like this needs to be said, but i'm not sure if i'll have the emotional energy to deal with debating

edit: fixed wording in the first sentence; deleted "causes" after "bad". must have forgotten to edit that out originally
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 15:04:41 02/06/2020 by ThunderEgg
#2473 Posted: 19:55:43 01/06/2020 | Topic Creator
Quote: ThunderEgg

but saying everyone who is silent is bad causes isn't necessarily correct. you have to understand why someone is being quiet. if someone is quiet bc they're against human rights, that's 100% bad. but some people are silent because they don't have a complete understanding of a situation and don't want to promote false information. some people are in situations where their lives will be ruined if they speak up. some people don't have a platform that would be effective for promoting good causes.

some people *ahem, me* are quiet because they're not sure if they can deal with the fallout of promoting something. heck, protests are even hard for me bc i hate crowds. saying "everyone who is silent is bad" is a harmful simplification. it puts people who might agree with a cause but are unable to speak in danger of being purged.

that being said, i personally agree with the acab sentiment. in general, i feel that our governing systems need to be more humanitarian in function and not only on paper. not sure if that nullifies my previous point, but i think i need to clarify that in case people think i don't want there to be change. i think i'm in the minority because i have issues that sometimes make even normal conversation difficult.

whoo boy might delete this if things get too heated. i feel like this needs to be said, but i'm not sure if i'll have the emotional energy to deal with debating

yeah honestly i hate reading or hearing people say that somebody is bad because they're quiet about the subject too. not everyone is affected or has as much knowledge as another on certain subjects so the best way to deal with the current events is to either research it and get involved or just stay neutral. just because you think a certain subject is important that doesn't mean its as important to everyone else. they're not against or for your cause. they're just neutral
#2474 Posted: 03:13:11 02/06/2020
I genuinely hate it when people say to "keep my politics out of things" when anything about the protests is brought up. I's not ****ing political. Human rights and people living and dying isn't a political issue.

but saying everyone who is silent is bad causes isn't necessarily correct. you have to understand why someone is being quiet. if someone is quiet bc they're against human rights, that's 100% bad. but some people are silent because they don't have a complete understanding of a situation and don't want to promote false information. some people are in situations where their lives will be ruined if they speak up. some people don't have a platform that would be effective for promoting good causes.

some people *ahem, me* are quiet because they're not sure if they can deal with the fallout of promoting something. heck, protests are even hard for me bc i hate crowds. saying "everyone who is silent is bad" is a harmful simplification. it puts people who might agree with a cause but are unable to speak in danger of being purged.

As the mentally ill trans daughter of a prominent public figure, I feel this. I had to take an extended social media hiatus because the initial George Floyd video ****ed me up for quite a bit. I can't go out and protest because being an out trans woman in my city poses... certain issues. I'm perfectly fine sitting at home donating or spreading the word, but I absolutely despise the gaslighting garbage people are saying on Twitter, that if you're silent you're accountable, if you aren't out protesting you're accountable. It does a lot more harm than good, and it only serves as a way to gatekeep people who actually want to help.
#2475 Posted: 23:46:18 02/06/2020
I agree with most of the above, except for these bolded bits:

Quote: somePerson
not everyone is affected or has as much knowledge as another on certain subjects so the best way to deal with the current events is to either research it and get involved or just stay neutral. just because you think a certain subject is important that doesn't mean its as important to everyone else. they're not against or for your cause. they're just neutral

"If it's not a problem to me, then it's not a problem."

That exact attitude is how we got here.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:47:54 02/06/2020 by Metallo
#2476 Posted: 23:57:09 02/06/2020 | Topic Creator
Quote: Metallo

not everyone is affected or has as much knowledge as another on certain subjects so the best way to deal with the current events is to either research it and get involved or just stay neutral. just because you think a certain subject is important that doesn't mean its as important to everyone else. they're not against or for your cause. they're just neutral

you're taking my words in a different context that i was aiming for and making it something else. this isn't just for blm. like I'm sure you care a lot about re-education camps in china
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:10:23 03/06/2020 by somePerson
#2477 Posted: 00:39:44 03/06/2020

you're taking my words in a different context that i was aiming for and making it something else. this isn't just for blm. like I'm sure you care a lot about re-education camps in china

You said, and I quote, "the current events." The context the rest of us are talking about is the single subject dominating every headline in the country. If you meant a different context, you should've made that clearer.

As for that second point, there's no realistically tangible way for me to do anything about that. It's not like I can just fly to China and march in the streets. I suppose I could fly to DC and urge the Trump administration to sanction them, but that's dilution from the source and hardly effective. The phenomenon the country is currently protesting has a direct source in our streets that we can directly address. If one is able and knowledgeable to do so, but they choose not to because they don't think it's important, then I wonder what they consider important.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:40:49 03/06/2020 by Metallo
#2478 Posted: 02:09:34 03/06/2020 | Topic Creator

You said, and I quote, "the current events." The context the rest of us are talking about is the single subject dominating every headline in the country. If you meant a different context, you should've made that clearer.

As for that second point, there's no realistically tangible way for me to do anything about that. It's not like I can just fly to China and march in the streets. I suppose I could fly to DC and urge the Trump administration to sanction them, but that's dilution from the source and hardly effective. The phenomenon the country is currently protesting has a direct source in our streets that we can directly address. If one is able and knowledgeable to do so, but they choose not to because they don't think it's important, then I wonder what they consider important.

on the subject of blm because that's the hot thing rn. i honestly feel like a really big reason why people are all of sudden supporting the movement when they made fun of it a few years back or even months back is because of scare tactics and trends. a lot of people are telling others that "you're a bad person and support racism because you are quiet" which leads to more and more people/companies posting pictures of them supporting the cause for social status points. whether or not they care is up to the person really. i really do applaud the people protesting about police brutality and civil rights (not the rioters and looters tho, those guy are criminals) but when you have people that say to support emergency workers and to stay at home a few weeks ago now telling others to go protest with hundreds of people surrounding them it gets a little redundant. don't get me wrong tho this isnt a bad thing either.

like imagine if you see a homeless guy on the street that is begging for food or money. most people would just ignore them or make fun of them. does that mean them dying is blood on your hands? of course not. mislabeling people because of their actions isn't very fun. there's also a very low chance the next big American protests will be about the homeless population.

i also don't like it when people shame companies for not doing enough to support the cause or doing too much. like of course companies are gonna hop on this to make a quick buck. that's what they are... businesses. i know this kinda contradicts to what i said above but that doesn't mean promoting social movements to look good isn't a bad thing. a lot of people seem to think that they are very knowledgable about businesses and marketing because they watched a youtube video and are now criticizing a company supporting blm seems very r/iamverysmart to me. for example one might say sony is good for delaying the ps5 announcement but amazon is just doing a business move because they said they support they blm yet they donate to cops. yeah, you're right. however they are both business moves. it doesn't take an expert to know that either. sony or viacom not doing anything to show awareness is really just a business move that was made to lead people on into believing that they are better than other companies. and its working because now people are using them as examples as the "right" way to pay respect thus giving the company more positive exposure and of course money. it really just feels like people just want to be the one on the morally superior side rather than fighting for a cause.

I am however very curious to know how many people that want change in America actually vote

You also have to remember that not every country is America. That's why it's not their problem

Seperated opinion
People don't know what dark humor is and use the word to make excuses when they get called out
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 16:50:11 03/06/2020 by somePerson
#2479 Posted: 17:48:49 03/06/2020
if i may, here are my personal thoughts:

1) i think that it's very hard to peacefully cause change in a system that does it's best to slow change. i think peaceful change is the right way to go about things, but i also feel that it can be much too slow for people who need help right away. coming from an LGBT perspective (i'm trans), stonewall, which was a riot, was the starting point for LGBT people in the US to get more rights. we still obviously aren't treated as well as straight/cis people both socially and economically -- a riot might start change, but it's not the end to it. i think the benefit/detriment of riots is nuanced. it's true that people use them as an excuse to be violent. but it's also true that they can influence positive change.

another example of protests that have been effective for human rights are the ones in the 1800s that allowed for worker's rights. the us has an 8 hour work day because of them. just think -- it used to be way more common for people to work much longer hours. they also abolished child labor, if memory serves correctly. some people can handle the current 8 hour work day, and others still can't due to disability or mental health issues.

2) from what i've learned, homeless people become that way and are kept that way because of how society fails them. i'll be honest, i'm a little flighty, and unfortunately homeless people often scare me to death. however, many are homeless because they couldn't access mental health resources and were unable to withstand the pattern of life that society prescribes. furthermore, many are addicted to substances, which has caused them to become homeless, and are unable to get the support they need to overcome their addiction. some people even choose to be homeless because they knew they would never function happily under the current rules of society. since i think people often become homeless due to the failings of society, i'd argue that their blood is indirectly on our hands.

3) companies supporting a cause is often annoying to me as well, but it's because it highlights hypocrisy within them. i feel like companies will say or do whatever they think they need to in order to make a quick buck, even if it contradicts racist/homophobic policies in the past. if the company doesn't make a statement about how they were wrong in the past, it's hypocrisy; and, quite frankly, many aren't going to make statements like that because they think it'd cause them to lose money. for me, the overall problem is that companies want to make the most money they can. therefore, i see wanting to make a lot of money as being a problem.

4) i probably don't know enough about dark humor to have anything useful to say. i think humor can be used to express things that people are often uncomfortable with saying otherwise (ie: i often make self-depreciating jokes in a sad attempt to show self-awareness; not sure if that falls under dark humor). humor can also be used to parody things people don't like (that's sort of how i justify saying terrible things i don't actually mean when i play cards against humanity). i'm not trying to make myself look like some pure angel, but i really don't think i've interacted with enough dark humor to really understand it.
---
#2480 Posted: 19:04:09 03/06/2020 | Topic Creator
1) yeah peaceful change doesn't have as much history as riots. When mlk died there were riots for days and eventually the cival Rights act was made. Riots are however really extreme and do a lot of harm to people who don't deserve it. David dorn for example was a retired black police captain who was killed by looters. However for some reason there's not much talk about this incident. But I guess change can only happen with escalation.

2) meant to use homeless people as an example of the whole shaming thing people do to those who stayed quiet during the whole police brutality ordeal. Isn't thinking that homeless as scary not also considered prejudice? I think it's because of media potrays them as if they are the lowest scums on the planet that gives off this picture in our heads to something like "I don't want to be like this". I'm not saying bring homeless is ideal but people use them as examples to scare children into behaving as they are below them. Everybody wants to say that they help the homeless but how many actually do?

3) here's the thing tho. Every company is full of hypocrites and liars. You can be an honest man and expect your business to flourish. Business men are at a point where their entire income is based around their business. If that business fails then they are gone. Pr is one of the easiest ways to gain exposure.

4) self deprecation is a great tool to cheer you up and dark humour has been historically one of the greatest ways to tell comedies. However there's a difference between waiting for Godot and "IM KILLING MYSELF BECUZ IM SAD SCHOOL SHOOTER". It just feels lazy to say edgy jokes than actual good ones

another opinion:
body acceptance shouldn't just be about fat acceptance. while yes accepting your body type is powerful and beneficial for your mental health there are lots of people with warts, burns, scars, etc who feel left out when they need to accept who they are. there's too much attention on "I'm plus size but I'm proud" but not enough "my scars tell stories that I'm proud of". when was the last time you saw a character on a tv show or movie with burns that wasn't just a backstory? when was the last time you saw a movie with a fat character that is never mentioned? one appears more than the latter
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:07:57 03/06/2020 by somePerson
#2481 Posted: 23:59:35 03/06/2020
This might not be an unpopular opinion where some of you live, but it definitely is in America:

I am against the death penalty. Period.

Not because I necessarily believe everyone deserves a second chance (that's a whole 'nother enchilada), but because I don't think the government should have the right to make that decision.
#2482 Posted: 05:44:19 04/06/2020 | Topic Creator
I took a. Iat test for transgender and cisgender preference and I let me just say that I think this test is very flawed. It's really hard to measure discrimination in my opinion because it's an emotion but the way the test measures preference is quite silly. once you know how it works it will never work on you again. At first it gives you a group of people and a cheat sheet on who identifies as what. Then you sort them out as fast as you can. Next you are introduced to the word portion. One side for bad (ugly, evil, etc) and the other for good (adore, sweet, cute, etc). These two sections are really just here to trick your brain into remembering "this group left side, good words left side, other group right side, bad words right side". Now the test tells you to sort the same 4 subjects with good words and a group of people to one side, while the vice versa on the right side. You do this pretty fast because you have been doing it for the past couple of minutes. But wait heres the curve ball. Now the groups of people are switched and all of a sudden you are taking more time to think which group does this person belong to. After the test it concludes that you have preference on this certain type of person because it took you a faster time to sort them out with good words.

I'm not a psychologist or a Harvard student but this seems to be more like a quick mucle memory trick rather than a discrimination measurement.

Other complaint I had was that the racial test was always white people vs any other ethnicity. Seems kinda unfair if you don't mix it up.

Now for my super edgy unpopular opinion is having a racial test to hire cops is not the best option to sort them out. First it would lead to a an even greater shortage of policemen. Yes they are a lot of bad cops but we still need law or the world goes out of order. Not that many people want to be policemen. Police officers are more likely to be less educated with about 30 percent having college degrees. Not a lot of people want to be a police officer. There's a reason why the stereotype of them being dumb and oblivious is a thing. I'm gonna make a bold assumption that most police officers lean right politically because of the fact that most of them didn't go to college. And because of thats I believe most police officers have been caught being racist or stupidly oblivious.

I believe that the best way to deal with the solution is to even out it's population with all sort of positions and jobs that don't attract one type of belief. However this seems to be more of a crappy theoretical idea than actual solution.

I also think racial testing is an invasion of privacy. I wouldn't like to be called a racist in front of my peers and let go from work because of it.
Imagine applying to a job and being rejected because "you're a woman". It's not on the same scale of discrimination but I think you can understand what I'm trying to say.

However it's still of course really horrible to treat people of other races differently on the job just because you have the "power" to. It's not that hard to be professional guys cmon.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 06:01:19 04/06/2020 by somePerson
#2483 Posted: 00:40:16 05/06/2020
educated people can be racist

Yep. Sure can.
#2484 Posted: 01:36:07 05/06/2020 | Topic Creator
educated people can be racist

Yes they can. Very good observation. However a good majority of college students are liberals and younger so therefore they are more likely to have an interest in identity politics.
Here's an example for recent events.
https://diverseeducation.com/article/179686/
I never said education = not racist, theyre just more likey due to the favoring political views of colleges
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:39:23 05/06/2020 by somePerson
LeewweewoowheeH Gold Sparx Gems: 2325
#2485 Posted: 17:33:05 07/06/2020
yahoo mail is much better than gmail
---
YO! thanks for the party and the maserati yall rocked my body but now im gone BYE! skylandersfan60 https://i.imgur.com/EmuBp2v.png
#2486 Posted: 17:57:33 07/06/2020
I've changed my mind about Confederate monuments. I used to say things like "Well, it's history." But then I learned that most of them weren't constructed during or right after the war, but rather in the Jim Crow period - specifically for the purpose of uplifting white supremacy and intimidating black people.

So now, I say take 'em down. Take 'em all down.

Quote: LeewweewoowheeH
yahoo mail is much better than gmail

Blasphemy.

Off with your head.
#2487 Posted: 19:48:20 07/06/2020
I've changed my mind about Confederate monuments. I used to say things like "Well, it's history." But then I learned that most of them weren't constructed during or right after the war, but rather in the Jim Crow period - specifically for the purpose of uplifting white supremacy and intimidating black people.

So now, I say take 'em down.

Ok now this is changing my view on them, if they were built for the purpose of being racist during a time when it was encouraged then why bother keeping them up.
Robo-Spyro Platinum Sparx Gems: 5839
#2488 Posted: 18:34:12 10/06/2020

but saying everyone who is silent is bad isn't necessarily correct. you have to understand why someone is being quiet. if someone is quiet bc they're against human rights, that's 100% bad. but some people are silent because they don't have a complete understanding of a situation and don't want to promote false information. some people are in situations where their lives will be ruined if they speak up. some people don't have a platform that would be effective for promoting good causes.

some people *ahem, me* are quiet because they're not sure if they can deal with the fallout of promoting something. heck, protests are even hard for me bc i hate crowds. saying "everyone who is silent is bad"; is a harmful simplification. it puts people who might agree with a cause but are unable to speak in danger of being purged.

I can relate to this. Describes one of the things that's been on my mind recently.
Even when it comes to social media presence, I'm more of an introvert myself nowadays. In any case, it seems impractical for me to get involved in public life, even in light of recent events, for the reasons you mentioned. Plus given that I also live where the history and dynamics of race relations are, while similar, still weighed out a lot differently than in American society, and the short-sighted hypocrisy of those speaking on behalf of their cause can potentially be much more blatant.

I find that people too often let their personal baggage and bogus worldviews motivate their activism on online platforms, which then spirals down into a quagmire of cynicism which only serves bitter egos. So I decided to quit giving that type of thing any serious engagement, and redirect my attention towards building up happiness in more humble (but fruitful) pursuits. Sure, at first glance someone might take that as an excuse to just be passive and distracted in the face of injustice, but what passes for being active to them in most cases is pretty much the same if you think about it.

What I will say about this is, whatever people's views might be on whether the overall response to Floyd's death by protesters, such as if it's consistent with other deaths that happened under similar circumstances or if there are double standards at work, when you see them, along with people barely involved even, being assaulted and gunned down indiscriminately by men in uniforms, it should be damned obvious to anyone who's not a bootlicker where the real danger is. Even compared with everything else that has gone on under the Trump administration... Things have really taken a dark turn.
---
no i will not write a signature for you
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:34:55 10/06/2020 by Robo-Spyro
#2489 Posted: 23:10:53 10/06/2020
Quote: Robo-Spyro
I find that people too often let their personal baggage and bogus worldviews motivate their activism on online platforms

I'm really curious what you mean by this.
#2490 Posted: 10:44:05 11/06/2020
Admittedly that's regarding some radical but still fairly relevant examples, at least according to my experience. If I tried to further clarify what I mean here by that, there's a fair chance we'd find ourselves debating whether those are actually relevant, maybe even still right about what they're saying, or if it's not just my own baggage or worldview speaking, which I think will just end up derailing this topic.
---
#2491 Posted: 23:56:57 11/06/2020
Quote: Robo-Spyro
Admittedly that's regarding some radical but still fairly relevant examples, at least according to my experience. If I tried to further clarify what I mean here by that, there's a fair chance we'd find ourselves debating whether those are actually relevant, maybe even still right about what they're saying, or if it's not just my own baggage or worldview speaking, which I think will just end up derailing this topic.

No such thing as derailing in a topic like this. Clarify away.
#2492 Posted: 17:45:16 12/06/2020 | Topic Creator
don't really like how statues and monuments are being thrown away. I'm all for getting rid of old ideologies but this is censoring history. These statues never encourage people to do inhuman tasks. In fact they're usually not seen to be anything more than a decoration celebrating history that is easily ignorable.

We are not celebrating how bad these guys are. We are celebrating what they gave up for what they thought was right making America what it is today. Sure it might not be the right thing to support but don't denounce people because they were born in a different time.

For all the times schools tell us how dystopian novels predict censorship we sure love doing it.
#2493 Posted: 18:06:20 12/06/2020
So off the top of my mind, we might consider the manifesto laid out as part of the recent "occupation" of Capitol Hill, (which I can hopefully discuss impartially, although I've never lived anywhere close by): https://capitolhillautonomous.zone/demands.html
Now, most of these demands come as completely fair expectations, and I could probably get behind them if it weren't for how we have others in the mix that seem to potentially involve scrapping the whole idea of a police force just to get it replaced with rag-tag mob justice, while also segregating health services and dictating to people how they ought to spend their own money. That's just the kind of platform that seems to be drawing from some wider trends in so-called progressive thinking that don't give it much credit.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:09:16 13/06/2020 by Robo-Spyro
#2494 Posted: 18:15:57 12/06/2020
don't really like how statues and monuments are being thrown away. I'm all for getting rid of old ideologies but this is censoring history. These statues never encourage people to do inhuman tasks. In fact they're usually not seen to be anything more than a decoration celebrating history that is easily ignorable.

We are not celebrating how bad these guys are. We are celebrating what they gave up for what they thought was right making America what it is today. Sure it might not be the right thing to support but don't denounce people because they were born in a different time.

For all the times schools tell us how dystopian novels predict censorship we sure love doing it.

For real. There’s several accounts of people tearing down or defacing statues of people that weren’t even related to this stuff, or worse, abolitionists who helped make progress.
A statue in Boston of an abolitionist who gave his life to support black youth was defaced. A monument to the first all black military squad was destroyed. A statue of Arnold Schwarzenegger at Muscle Beach was defaced with the words “Black Blood Is On Your Hands.” Some people had nothing to do with this. Others helped actively work towards and defend equality.

But yeah, let’s tear down every statue and monument from any era before today’s. Because every old dude has to be racist, right?
First | Previous | Page 50 of 54 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me