darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Spyro: Year of the Dragon > What is your least favorite thing about this game?
Page 1 of 1
What is your least favorite thing about this game?
spyrolvr96 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1214
#1 Posted: 17:26:00 08/08/2014 | Topic Creator
Poor level design, unfair enemies, bad minigames, whatever. It doesn't even have to be something you hate about the game, if you think that everything is good, it just has to be what you like the least.

Personally I hate the overabundance of sidequests. Every single level has at least one egg where you go through a portal to a completely separate area to do some arbitrary task, sometimes as a character that isn't even Spyro, which are definitely the worst, because they. It just feels really forced to me and it breaks the flow of a platformer.

The difference between this game and Ripto's Rage in this regard is that a majority of the orbs in RR actually take place in the level that you're exploring, so it feels like you're actually making the level you're in a better place, rather than going through a portal to someplace else to defeat what ever is plaguing there, or doing something arbitrary like getting a certain score while skateboarding or going down a slide.

I also feel like RR had it better in having most of the levels gave a talisman at the end, rather than an orb. That makes sure that every single orb inside of the level comes from actually deciding to stop and help the locals, rather than just doing what you have to to progress, or just finding it lying there.

Well, that's my long-winded explanation on what I least like about YotD. What's yours?
---
The thing I never really wrapped my brain around until now was in order to be remembered, in order to leave something significant behind, you have to leave
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7660
#2 Posted: 19:28:55 08/08/2014
Agent 9.
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
ladala Yellow Sparx Gems: 1935
#3 Posted: 20:20:29 08/08/2014
"You're Doomed," and its sequel "You're Still Doomed." I already didn't like those stupid respawning ninja Rhynocs in the main part of the level, but here it's all the worse. In every other part of the Insomniac trilogy, enemies cannot run at you to attack while offscreen. Not the case here.

Even worse is that there are gems in there. If there weren't, I could just skip the minigame entirely and use the Sparx Warp cheat to get to Super Bonus Round. But no, you need ALL the gems in the game for Sorceress round 2.
---
Thank you for releasing me!
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6071
#4 Posted: 20:21:19 08/08/2014
It's a tie between Agent 9 and skateboarding. The skateboard tricks are so counter intuitive for me, and Agent 9 is just outright annoying.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#5 Posted: 21:50:44 08/08/2014
Any of the vehicle challenges or the side characters NOT named Sheila can irk me. They definitely lower the quality of the game compared to Ripto's Rage. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6071
#6 Posted: 23:18:56 08/08/2014
I confess I enjoy Sgt. Byrd's gameplay and Bentley's personality, but Sheila's the only side character who is fun in both regards.
InsomDog Platinum Sparx Gems: 6814
#7 Posted: 09:10:18 09/08/2014
Agent 9. He is a loathsome character and his gameplay is frustrating. Trying to lob a bomb at a rynoc without being hit is very difficult.
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12740
#8 Posted: 09:49:35 09/08/2014
The Agent 9 challenges, except for the one in Haunted Tomb. You're Doomed and the yeti boxing are two of my least favourite challenges in the game.
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#9 Posted: 11:51:48 09/08/2014
Agent 9's gameplay, even though I love Agent 9 as a character.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
BTDiamonds Blue Sparx Gems: 773
#10 Posted: 00:12:44 07/09/2014
I would have to say the extra character's gameplay. They feel awkward compared to Spyro's if you ask me.
---
Stuff and things. smilie
Skylark56 Blue Sparx Gems: 610
#11 Posted: 19:55:49 09/09/2014
Who doesn't NOT like Agent 9, his controlling was awful. I thought the extra characters were a nice touch, but the controlling was terrible (i.e Sheila, Sgt. Byrd and Agent 9), Bentley's controls were alright to be fair.
---
Finding Something New About Spyro Everyday!
Queen_Cynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1694
#12 Posted: 06:28:17 01/10/2014
Agent 9 is unbelievably irritating, although there seems to be an agreement there lol. I also found Bentley's controls really frustrating and would probably have enjoyed him a lot more if his side quests weren't even more frustrating than his gameplay. Sheila was by far the best addition to the whole game.

Also

Quote: spyrolvr96
Personally I hate the overabundance of sidequests. Every single level has at least one egg where you go through a portal to a completely separate area to do some arbitrary task, sometimes as a character that isn't even Spyro, which are definitely the worst, because they. It just feels really forced to me and it breaks the flow of a platformer.

The difference between this game and Ripto's Rage in this regard is that a majority of the orbs in RR actually take place in the level that you're exploring, so it feels like you're actually making the level you're in a better place, rather than going through a portal to someplace else to defeat what ever is plaguing there, or doing something arbitrary like getting a certain score while skateboarding or going down a slide.

Exactly my thoughts, and summed up perfectly, yup
---
I know my username says Queen but I’m a guy I’m just gay : (
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12740
#13 Posted: 08:50:50 03/10/2014
Quote: AngelicBeast
Double jump glitch being taken out

I forgot about that. It would've been fun to explore unreachable parts of the levels. But at least the swimming glitch is still present in some levels if you wanted to go above or outside the levels.
DragonDog Ripto Gems: 1798
#14 Posted: 03:52:53 08/10/2014
Them using Sheila's Alp music for Lost Fleet. I personally think that they should have made a more Australian-ish song for Sheila and leave her original for Lost Fleet. Personally it fits Lost Fleet but feels of in Sheila's home world level.... I know I'm completely bonkers. Oh, and Moneybutt.
#15 Posted: 18:34:44 08/10/2014
Quote: DragonDog
Them using Sheila's Alp music for Lost Fleet. I personally think that they should have made a more Australian-ish song for Sheila and leave her original for Lost Fleet. Personally it fits Lost Fleet but feels of in Sheila's home world level.... I know I'm completely bonkers. Oh, and Moneybutt.

It's not the same, it's a actually a re-arrangement. I believe the black label version simply uses the Super Bonus World theme. <.<
---
DragonDog Ripto Gems: 1798
#16 Posted: 21:21:58 08/10/2014
Quote: HIR

It's not the same, it's a actually a re-arrangement. I believe the black label version simply uses the Super Bonus World theme. <.<

I never noticed a difference smilie
#17 Posted: 23:43:06 08/10/2014
Quote: HIR

I never noticed a difference XD

Try them both for comparison.
Sheila's Alp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qb7CoEwqY0
Lost Fleet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY4w2tvqfq8
---
Queen_Cynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1694
#18 Posted: 06:23:45 15/10/2014
Ah well in the original version the song was actually the same as the Super Bonus World song, which is MUCH more fitting I think! I actually had no clue until just now that the greatest hits version uses a remix of Sheila's Alp :0
---
I know my username says Queen but I’m a guy I’m just gay : (
Rebecca Red Sparx Gems: 60
#19 Posted: 05:19:54 16/10/2014
The boxing sucked for me, too.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated Agent 9 for all these years.
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#20 Posted: 17:22:44 24/11/2014
Agent 9s gameplay it sucked
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#21 Posted: 20:27:47 12/12/2014
I completely agree with the OP. The frequent minigames are definitely my biggest issue with YoTD. Some of them (particularly Yeti Boxing) tick me off.

My other problems with it are lot smaller, so I guess my next biggest issue is those sections with clunky controls. They're not that prevalent, but when they're there, they really get in the way. I'm not fond of the increased amount of backtracking, either (but thankfully, you can skip all of it via glitches).
#22 Posted: 20:32:59 12/12/2014
I think Spyro and The Sorceress should have had a cutscene together, like Spyro and Ripto did in Gateway to Glimmer. That really annoys me; I'm forever thinking of how that cutscene could have happened!
---
oh my god
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#23 Posted: 01:54:24 14/09/2015
Hmm... it's the last of of the insomniac trilogy. :'( Pretty much every OP here has stated everything I feel about the game
Spyrobaby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4254
#24 Posted: 15:48:27 14/09/2015
•The Agent 9 challenges in Fireworks Factory
•The whole ending of the game. Midnight Mountain as a homeworld was stunning and it has some of my favorite levels but I feel like the Sorceress should have at least met Spyro and given the fight more meaning, and the Super Bonus Round was just a disappointment. I can't help feeling like they meant to include way more (just the fact that in the atlas it says Super Bonus Worlds kind of hints at that) and it was a generally dissatisfying end to an otherwise exceptional game.
•A bit nit-picky really but the fact that the only edition where the actual music tracks were used in some levels instead of repeats was the Greatest Hits version. Some of those tracks are brilliant and it's sad that they weren't included
---
The darkness only stays at nighttime, in the morning it'll fade away. Daylight's good at arriving at the right time, it's not always going to be this grey~
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#25 Posted: 00:48:36 27/12/2015
The mini games would have to be my main issue with YotD. Some of them made me rage a lot.

The speedways used to be my least favourite thing in 1 and 2, but they were improved in YotD and I found them enjoyable rather than frustrating.

Quote: Razz
I confess I enjoy Sgt. Byrd's gameplay and Bentley's personality, but Sheila's the only side character who is fun in both regards.

Oh wow really? I found Sgt Byrd to be the best playable character of all of them and the only one to not have a mini game that's annoying. I loved his free flight and his world was one of my favourite levels. I hated the mini game in Spooky Swamp with Sheila.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:51:46 27/12/2015 by DarkCynder_543
#26 Posted: 17:22:24 03/01/2016
Quote: DarkCynder_543
The mini games would have to be my main issue with YotD. Some of them made me rage a lot.

The speedways used to be my least favourite thing in 1 and 2, but they were improved in YotD and I found them enjoyable rather than frustrating.

Oh wow really? I found Sgt Byrd to be the best playable character of all of them and the only one to not have a mini game that's annoying. I loved his free flight and his world was one of my favourite levels. I hated the mini game in Spooky Swamp with Sheila.

So did you enjoy the cat witch challenge with Sgt Byrd? D: That's one of my least favorites in the game.
---
The darkness only stays at nighttime, in the morning it'll fade away. Daylight's good at arriving at the right time, it's not always going to be this grey~
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9212
#27 Posted: 10:09:20 04/01/2016
I don't really enjoy the skateboard race in Lost Fleet, the one where you have to destroy all the crabs, and beat Hunter at the same time. Hunter doesn't even have to destroy them either.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
#28 Posted: 16:52:11 04/01/2016
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
I don't really enjoy the skateboard race in Lost Fleet, the one where you have to destroy all the crabs, and beat Hunter at the same time. Hunter doesn't even have to destroy them either.

Yeah same! That's my least favorite skateboarding challenge and it's too similar to the snowboarding in the Super Bonus World D:
---
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9212
#29 Posted: 21:45:42 04/01/2016
Quote: Spyrobaby

Yeah same! That's my least favorite skateboarding challenge and it's too similar to the snowboarding in the Super Bonus World D:

There's a glitch to get infinite speed boost in the Super Bonus Round, and I use it all the time.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
#30 Posted: 23:54:01 04/01/2016

There's a glitch to get infinite speed boost in the Super Bonus Round, and I use it all the time.

What's the code??
---
oh my god
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#31 Posted: 10:22:48 05/01/2016
Quote: DarkCynder_543

So did you enjoy the cat witch challenge with Sgt Byrd? D: That's one of my least favorites in the game.

It was hard, but I thought it wasn't that bad. :\
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Beemo Gold Sparx Gems: 2828
#32 Posted: 12:44:30 11/01/2016
Spike.
---
I hate this name and I want to change it.
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#33 Posted: 15:51:46 11/01/2016
Quote: Kitty
Quote: Drawdler
Yeti Boxing though

[User Posted Image]

#34 Posted: 02:03:55 12/01/2016
Quote: Drawdler
Yeti Boxing though

[User Posted Image]

Yes, oh my god, the boxing was aggravating, especially when you're attempting to get the skill point.
---
madison-dwrd Emerald Sparx Gems: 3201
#35 Posted: 03:09:02 12/01/2016
Quote: Beemo

Yes, oh my god, the boxing was aggravating, especially when you're attempting to get the skill point.

Those skill points are going to be the death of me. In both this game as well as the Ratchet and Clank games the skill points sometimes drive me crazy o_O
---
You gotta believe!
Beemo Gold Sparx Gems: 2828
#36 Posted: 04:17:00 12/01/2016
Quote: madison-dwrd
Quote: Beemo

Those skill points are going to be the death of me. In both this game as well as the Ratchet and Clank games the skill points sometimes drive me crazy smilie

Indeed.
---
NSane Bandicoot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3112
#37 Posted: 21:59:17 09/09/2017
I hate the Yeti boxing the most.
---
Kickstart my Heart
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#38 Posted: 11:52:38 11/02/2018
Pop cultures references to The Matrix in the Fireworks Factory level. I don't know how people behind a potential remaster could bring themselves to recreate something every other piece of medium has reference to death.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8506
#39 Posted: 04:33:58 28/02/2018
Quote: StevemacQ
Pop cultures references to The Matrix in the Fireworks Factory level. I don't know how people behind a potential remaster could bring themselves to recreate something every other piece of medium has reference to death.

I know late as hell, but Spyro 3 only came out a year after The Matrix came out, and when everyone and their mother didn't reference it yet.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
SpyroxCynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1906
#40 Posted: 13:31:54 19/07/2018
Quote: Jaggedstar

What's the code??

You can also fly over to a certain part of the track where a star is close to the ground, and just sit there for a minute or two, and when you start, it will show that you don't have a lot of turbo, but you in fact, have a LOT of turbo built up.

I just feel like Agent 9 is so limited in controls. No double jump, no charge/run, can't fly. Just trots around with his laser gun. And the sniping mode and moving the target just seems slow to me. Sheila and Sgt. Byrd each have unique abilities that other characters don't. Bentley is sorta in the same boat in that he doesn't do much anything new except push boxes around, and is also super, super slow. But, at least his character (in my opinion) is likeable and charming. I just don't see that with Agent 9.
---
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - Dr. Seuss
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me