darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Trap Team > What Are You Expecting Out Of Comic Book #0?
Page 1 of 1
What Are You Expecting Out Of Comic Book #0?
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#1 Posted: 23:16:23 09/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Just wondering what you guys think will be in the first edition of the Skylanders Comics. I'm actually expecting an explination of the Sidekicks as they may be hiding the Sidekicks from us for a plot line perspective. I also think we may see some brand new Skyanders featured such as the Air Dragon or Magic Character. I know it seems like I'm hoping for too much but it's honestly what I expect. With Gamescom in Agust it just seems way to late to announce it. Also with Comic Con being a domestic event and Gamescom a foreign event at least, for Activision, it just makes sence to do it this way. So what do you guys think will be in the first Comic?
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
Toynerd14 Ripto Gems: 95
#2 Posted: 23:17:24 09/07/2014
I just want info. Any info.
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#3 Posted: 00:04:07 10/07/2014
I'm hoping to see if the Trap Master were banished during modern times( a few days or weeks before the games first chapter) instead of another "1,000 or 100" years ago plot.
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#4 Posted: 01:07:13 10/07/2014
They probably were, considering that kaos only recently blew up the prison before the game starts.
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#5 Posted: 01:29:19 10/07/2014
^ I know it's off-topic, but that gif is amazing
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#6 Posted: 01:29:21 10/07/2014
^GR agrees!

I never could find a pre order? WTF are they doing starting with #0? Even the first issue and it's already a gimmick. Bring on the foil cover editions!
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:29:48 10/07/2014 by GhostRoaster
#7 Posted: 01:33:06 10/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: GhostRoaster
^GR agrees!

I never could find a pre order? WTF are they doing starting with #0? Even the first issue and it's already a gimmick. Bring on the foil cover editions!

There is no preorder for #0. You have to go to Comic Con to get it so I really hope someone from Darkspyro is going there to get it for us.
---
GothamLord Yellow Sparx Gems: 1790
#8 Posted: 01:41:55 10/07/2014
http://www.previewsworld.com/H...rticleID=148810

"Skylanders #0 features an introductory 16-page story as well as character guides and additional back-up information. The issue will be launched in both print and digital during SDCC weekend."
#9 Posted: 01:43:22 10/07/2014
Quote: ZapNorris
i think i'm ready to accept the fact that disney has made steps forward. and i will show them respect by buying their game first!

Technically speaking, absolutely. Absolutely didn't like the games or characters...but now with upgrades, marvel supreheroes and a ton of in game innovations, I might be there with ya. Not sure what that has to do with comics, other than Marvel superheroes have been there for the most part since 1962. Skylanders since 2014. Weeee....

16 pages though? Heck I could at least get 25 pages for 50 cents back in 1980, or 100 pages for $1. Kinda interesting that our first glimpse at some characters may be first through this comic.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:46:06 10/07/2014 by GhostRoaster
#10 Posted: 01:53:30 10/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote:
The first issue, a prequel to the Skylanders Trap Team™ storyline, actually provides fans an inside look at where some of their favorite Skylanders came from, and even gives them a first look at a few all-new characters from the upcoming game.

Perhaps info on the Air Dragon?
---
#11 Posted: 02:04:55 10/07/2014
Personally my biggest concern in all of this is the writer - Ron Marz. While I know a large number of people on the boards arent old enough to have been into comics during the early 90s, Ron is most famous for the "Emerald Twilight" story. This is the story arc that turned the original Green Lantern, Hal Jordan into a psychopath and mass murderer. While I dont foresee any crazy ideas like that happening in a Skylanders comics, I think anyone familiar with the story and how things were rushed and characterization what thrown out the window, can cause reason to be worried.
#12 Posted: 02:39:14 10/07/2014
Quote: GothamLord
Personally my biggest concern in all of this is the writer - Ron Marz. While I know a large number of people on the boards arent old enough to have been into comics during the early 90s, Ron is most famous for the "Emerald Twilight" story. This is the story arc that turned the original Green Lantern, Hal Jordan into a psychopath and mass murderer. While I dont foresee any crazy ideas like that happening in a Skylanders comics, I think anyone familiar with the story and how things were rushed and characterization what thrown out the window, can cause reason to be worried.

Luckily, for some reason, I think he'll have a harder time to muck this up. I loved GL in the early 80s but I was out of comics by 1988 or so and as such missed all of the garbage that made 90s famous. Good to hear I missed that one.
---
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#13 Posted: 19:10:59 10/07/2014

Luckily, for some reason, I think he'll have a harder time to muck this up. I loved GL in the early 80s but I was out of comics by 1988 or so and as such missed all of the garbage that made 90s famous. Good to hear I missed that one.

Admit it, you know you want psycholanders. And Quigley as a mass-muderer.
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
#14 Posted: 19:43:52 10/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Doomslicer

Admit it, you know you want psycholanders. And Quigley as a mass-muderer.

Lol I like Turtles... So I'm going to kill you and keep you forever on my wall, hahaha!
---
Qcumber Yellow Sparx Gems: 1054
#15 Posted: 19:48:24 10/07/2014

If he messes this up, then there are going to be a lot of angry parents. If Ghost Roaster didn't sell well because he was a skeleton/ghost, then I'd hate to think how badly this would go if [Skylander] turned psychopathic.

This probably won't happen, and I hope it won't. However, if this does have a darker storyline than the franchise so far, I'd probably buy it.
---
You can't handle MEMES
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:46:28 11/07/2014 by Qcumber
#16 Posted: 11:24:46 11/07/2014
https://twitter.com/IDWPublish...4037377/photo/1

http://www.conventionscene.com...lusives-debuts/

[User Posted Image]

Skylanders #0
The comic debut of Skylanders! Unavailable anywhere else!! This Zero Issue focuses on all your fan-favorite characters and featuring a prequel story tying directly into the new Skylanders Trap Team videogame. The convention exclusive cover by Fico Ossio and David Garcia Cruz features Spyro, Stealth Elf, and Trigger Happy.
$5, Limited to 700 copies, 5 per person

I'd like to go on record that this cover looks horrible and like something I'd find on Deviantart from decent, but not professional level artwork.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:28:18 11/07/2014 by GothamLord
Toynerd14 Ripto Gems: 95
#17 Posted: 11:27:57 11/07/2014
Ugh... Dat Trigger Happy looks awful. What is with Stealth Elf's large face.
AzureStarline Emerald Sparx Gems: 3539
#18 Posted: 13:45:26 11/07/2014
looks like something creepy from the bowels of deviantart
---
Favorites: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#19 Posted: 13:45:33 11/07/2014
I think the art style looks OK. It's better than the art used in The Skystones Championship (Skylanders Annual 2014). The art for that looked cheap, but this looks like it could be good. After all, the person who is doing this once worked for DC comics, so it might be better than the stories we've seen so far in the Skylanders series.
---
You can't handle MEMES
nitendofan92 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4572
#20 Posted: 16:17:38 11/07/2014
Quote: Toynerd14

trigger happy don't look that bad in fact he's good looking
---
THE END IS NEAR
#21 Posted: 16:44:30 11/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: nitendofan92
Quote: Toynerd14

trigger happy don't look that bad in fact he's good looking

He looks like he was given a bath... By a Cat...
---
#22 Posted: 16:46:31 11/07/2014
Theory: Similar to how CoroCoro leaks new Pokemon information, a new Skylander/Villain will be revealed every issue as part of that issue's story. Not only would this reveal new Skylanders/Villains, but it could also go into more detail on their backstory.
---
You can't handle MEMES
#23 Posted: 16:59:42 11/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Qcumber
Theory: Similar to how CoroCoro leaks new Pokemon information, a new Skylander/Villain will be revealed every issue as part of that issue's story. Not only would this reveal new Skylanders/Villains, but it could also go into more detail on their backstory.

No it will not be like that. The Comics Launch in the Fall alongside the game. This is just a special edition comic.
---
#24 Posted: 17:01:01 11/07/2014
Oh. Maybe they'll do it next year, if it continues into 2015.
---
You can't handle MEMES
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#25 Posted: 17:07:10 11/07/2014
its a bit late, this should have been done when ssa was released....
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6071
#26 Posted: 20:15:13 11/07/2014
I hope the internal artwork and not-convention exclusive cover are better. Nice colors do not save bad line work and Stealth Elf's giant, misshapen head and downright bizarre proportions are kind of disturbing to me. o_o
lcopley98 Blue Sparx Gems: 725
#27 Posted: 21:27:05 11/07/2014
Eh, I am not a huge fan of this either. I expected much more from the artwork. However, I hope that the overall story telling is good.
---
Casual Skylander Gamer
Nuzlocke Challenge http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/posttopic.php?forum=56&post=true
#28 Posted: 21:54:02 11/07/2014
Alas, I wish I could say I was expecting better for this comic but...I wasn't. :/ Comics aimed at kids commissioned by huge corporation have a tendency to be kind of awful in the art department (unless you get really lucky). I hope they get whoever's been illustrating the Skylanders novels; that's some class act line art (well, it is in the two I have, anyway). :)
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#29 Posted: 22:03:35 11/07/2014
I just realised Spyro's wings are mis-coloured. They've got the colouring of the S2's wing armour, but that colouring shouldn't be covering all of his wings, so it can't be because this is S2 Spyro in the comic universe. He's also lacking the gems on his wings that S2 has and the start of his left wing is purple, making the mistake more obvious.

I wonder what the blue, glowy thing to the left is. It kinda looks like it could be Persephone or a Power Pod. Possibly even Snap Shot's bow and arrow.

And they neglected putting Gill Grunt with Spyro and Trigger Happy again, in favour of Stealth Elf. smilie
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 22:18:06 11/07/2014 by Arc of Archives
#30 Posted: 22:20:12 11/07/2014
I actually went and looked up Fico Ossio's other work. While not the greatest (for my tastes), there is much better work he's done that looks like this specialty cover was just slapped together last second to make a paycheck. :/
#31 Posted: 22:41:31 11/07/2014
He probably got contacted to do this cover at the last minute. I've been there. And more power to him for getting that paycheck. Boo to whoever didn't give him enough time, though, because it sounds like he can do better with the right amount of time. The colorist is possibly somebody else entirely. But do we know which one of the two artists did the linework? It could have been Cruz.

As for Stealth Elf being on the cover: good! Bummer for Gil Grunt fans (he has fans? o_o), but she's pretty much the flagship lady character for this franchise and girls do read comics. Glad to see the franchise is keeping it's entire fanbase demographic in mind. Although Gil Grunt's head would probably look less disturbing in that shape... :D
#32 Posted: 22:56:03 11/07/2014
David Garcia Cruz is the colorist. I've seen him listed as such in other material.
#33 Posted: 01:52:06 12/07/2014
Thanks GothemLord. :) Yeah, I'd definitely chock that line art up to being rushed, then.

Agreed, Spyro looks okay. Trigger Happy's full body 'stache is a little unsettling. XD
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#34 Posted: 02:15:03 12/07/2014
Quote: Arc of Archives
I just realised Spyro's wings are mis-coloured. They've got the colouring of the S2's wing armour, but that colouring shouldn't be covering all of his wings, so it can't be because this is S2 Spyro in the comic universe. He's also lacking the gems on his wings that S2 has and the start of his left wing is purple, making the mistake more obvious.

I wonder what the blue, glowy thing to the left is. It kinda looks like it could be Persephone or a Power Pod. Possibly even Snap Shot's bow and arrow.

And they neglected putting Gill Grunt with Spyro and Trigger Happy again, in favour of Stealth Elf. smilie

Well, you do see Gill Grunt and Spyro together a lot. In Gill Grunt's Mask of Power book, The Machine of Doom, The Beginning Trailer and they're often featured in merchandise together much for than Triggs. I'm honestly glad that they're keeping Spyro and Gill's best friendship consistent.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
GhostRoaster617 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3963
#35 Posted: 03:03:00 12/07/2014
The most I want is at least one Trap Master from the life and magic elements. It's interesting that 2 of the most marketed elements are being saved for last to show even just what they have for Trap Masters. This makes me assume we are hopefully getting some epic Skylanders in that category.
---
Grave Clobber is back to bury you!
Imaginators smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Villains smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#36 Posted: 15:38:41 14/07/2014
Here's to hoping the cover isn't the base art style.

Also, as far as I know, parents didn't seem to complain about IDW's darker MLP comics. So somewhat darker Skylanders comics are not beyond imagination (and kids these days like dark it seems).
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
#37 Posted: 20:31:44 23/07/2014
Skylanders #0 - Review

Digital copy - 22 pages total

• 1 page - Cover
  • 1 page - Credits
  • 16 pages actual comic
  • 4 pages - Bios (Jawbreaker / Wildfire / Snap Shot / Wallop)

Story - 3/5

The story opens with Kaos developing a plan to break out a gallery of villains from Cloudcracker Prison, to help him rule Skylands. He explains the prison quickly to Glumshanks and how being made of Traptanium, and he has a plan for dealing with it. He also complains about the lack of a unified system of weights and measures in Skylands. Once he rules Skylands, establishing one is one of his first goals.

Next when jump over to Flynn's ship. Flynn is taking Stealth Elf, Pop Fizz, and Wash Buckler to watch over a delivery of supplies to a mining facility for Radiant crystals. Flynn and Pop discuss the dangers of making s'mores while Wash Buckler tries unsuccessfully to relax while Stealth Elf trains. To her, training is relaxing.

Of course Kaos' plan kicks off and the mining facility they are enroute to comes under attack. The group on the ship leaps into action. There are however hundreds of trolls attacking so the group needs some help. After calling various other Skylander teams, giving us a few cameos, its discovered there are other attacks going as well around the Skylands. Clearly means to tie everyone up. In the end, the only option is apparently to call in the Trap Team. But only two members. Snap Shot and Wallop.

Back to the fight, Wolfgang has shown up. The team at the mine is worried about this and unsure if they can handle the fight now with Wolfgang and all the trolls. Wolfgang gets very little time to gloat though as he's shot in the back by a traptanium arrow. Snap Shot and Wallop proceed to jump into the fight. After a bit of double team, Wolfgang gets clocked by Wallop''s hammers and gets knocked unconscious.

The team at the mine now goes into clean up mode. While assisting in the mess, Snap Shot, Pop Fizz and Flynn talk with an old miner there. Its discovered that a giant tuning fork used as a mining tool has gone missing. The Fork of Infinite Resonance. Its a relic from Arkeyan time and can be tuned to the frequency of any material, causing it to shatter. Snap Shot ponders, saying he doesnt like it, one bit.

We end as we go back to Kaos gloating in his victory. Kaos laughs as we get a shot of the floating Cloudcracker Prison

Artwork - 2/5

While I am hardly an artist myself, I was highly disappointed in the artwork for the comic. Bowden's art was inconsistent. We'd have two panels of really well done art, then be struck by a very oddly drawn face from the same character. Faces would contort is strange facial expression and body limbs seemed disproportionate depending on the angle the character was draw at. Coloring however was at least consistent and could easily tell who everyone was.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:37:02 23/07/2014 by GothamLord
jedihunter12 Gold Sparx Gems: 2401
#38 Posted: 20:50:07 23/07/2014
I liked the comic it was a good cant wait for issue 1
#39 Posted: 21:10:01 23/07/2014
Perhaps you can expand on your opinion of it? What you enjoyed the most? What you liked? Anything you might have liked less than others?

Its only #0, and while not awful was a bit underwhelming. It can certainly still have potential given the massive cast of characters to pull from. I'm hoping that we can have other villains outside of Kaos, or characters reduced to nothing outside of Kaos' flunkies throughout the comic.
#40 Posted: 21:41:22 23/07/2014
Perhaps you can expand on your opinion of it? What you enjoyed the most? What you liked? Anything you might have liked less than others?

Its only #0, and while not awful was a bit underwhelming. It can certainly still have potential given the massive cast of characters to pull from. I'm hoping that we can have other villains outside of Kaos, or characters reduced to nothing outside of Kaos' flunkies throughout the comic.

How did you get to read the comic?
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#41 Posted: 21:44:33 23/07/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

How did you get to read the comic?

It was released digitally today.
---
#42 Posted: 21:48:06 23/07/2014
How could I read it?
---
#43 Posted: 22:24:34 23/07/2014
A digital comic site like comixology.com. You can make an account and purchase it. You can then access it from most digital devices PC, Tablet, Smartphone, etc.
#44 Posted: 22:36:25 23/07/2014
Ugh. Won't be able to do that.
---
jedihunter12 Gold Sparx Gems: 2401
#45 Posted: 22:50:57 23/07/2014
I liked in the comic that they showed any skylander can be transported anywhere in skylands and i liked how it showed them doing other things other then fighting chaos
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#46 Posted: 23:44:57 23/07/2014
Quote: jedihunter12
I liked in the comic that they showed any skylander can be transported anywhere in skylands and i liked how it showed them doing other things other then fighting chaos

You mean the entire thing about every Skylanders game ever?
(or the books if you want to see them fight a ton of other guys that aren't Kaos)
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
oogamania Yellow Sparx Gems: 1417
#47 Posted: 13:54:57 24/07/2014
As an artist myself, I can tell that this comic will be underwhelming for adults, but safe for the kids. They say don’t judge a book by its cover, but after looking at the summary and everyone’s review of this, I won’t pick this up. A sixteen-page comic (not counting credits and bios) based on a billion-dollar franchise is a must-not-buy IMO.

I agree that Stealth’s face is a little large, unless she has a really bad under bite. I think Trigger looks fine, however the left side of his body seems cut off and I'm not sure why Spyro’s wings are so unnecessarily big. His wings are covering the entire “skyscape.” I can’t help but feel that this cover was rushed.

What I do like about this cover is the small, illustrative details on the characters and the crevice which is something I need to replicate in my illustrations. aaand that's it.
---
Check out my Skylanders comic in the fanart forum!
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me