Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Villains for 30 seconds
Cooltonium Blue Sparx Gems: 605
#1 Posted: 19:12:48 10/06/2014 | Topic Creator
So apparently you can play as a villain for 30 seconds then you have to wait 30 seconds to play with them again is it just me but I don't like that idea :/
---
buy dangerous woman on itunes
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:13:14 10/06/2014 by Cooltonium
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#2 Posted: 19:14:40 10/06/2014
Where are you getting this? Source please.

Someone help me understand why I would pay money for these traps if they're going to tel me how long I can play as the character. Their foot should be pretty much be shot off with all of these stupid things they are doing if this is true.

I've got a solution: don't play as villains and don't support this stupidity and buy the traps.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:16:00 10/06/2014 by GhostRoaster
Buuzer Hunter Gems: 6546
#3 Posted: 19:14:45 10/06/2014
Maybe you can buy some upgrade/relics to reduce charge time
---
smilie smilie smilie youtube.com/user/GOWBuuzer smilie smilie smilie
Cooltonium Blue Sparx Gems: 605
#4 Posted: 19:20:30 10/06/2014 | Topic Creator
If you watch the Skylanders boy and girl channel the newest one with PainYatta and Wolfgang they show you that there is a time limit
---
buy dangerous woman on itunes
#5 Posted: 19:21:39 10/06/2014
OK, why don't you edit your OP and put in the video there. That will help move conversations along I think. smilie
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#6 Posted: 19:22:52 10/06/2014
It's from the IGN demo. It's actually a few seconds followed by a cooldown. As I said in the new topics, it's probably a nerf and not good at it, but the villains stay in the trap until you change them in the Vault.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
GothamLord Yellow Sparx Gems: 1790
#7 Posted: 19:49:49 10/06/2014
Given the fact you can switch back and forth between the villain and the Skylander with a single button press, I think the general idea they are trying to push is to use the characters as a team. Funny that given the games name, eh? Switching back and forth to create combos and attacks that work with each other.

I'm just happy to hear that you can capture the villains no matter what, you just need the right trap at that point to actually play as them and release them from the vault.
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#8 Posted: 20:18:11 10/06/2014
there is also hidden quests for the trap villains that you can complete and it will upgrade them... now i hope this is not for the special trap villains like kaos etc. because that means these hidden quests cant be completed if you dont own a specific special villains....

they talk about that here... 7:48
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
talon4000 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#9 Posted: 21:10:27 10/06/2014
have you seen how much damage some of those villains do? Wolfgang has a slide that does 400 to every enemy he touches, if they didn't have the time limit they would be way overpowered (I didn't think I would like this, but if they all feel that powerful, I kinda like it)
#10 Posted: 22:15:10 10/06/2014
Quote: talon4000
have you seen how much damage some of those villains do? Wolfgang has a slide that does 400 to every enemy he touches, if they didn't have the time limit they would be way overpowered (I didn't think I would like this, but if they all feel that powerful, I kinda like it)

yah it get you to wonder how short trap team will be.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
WickedRogue Gold Sparx Gems: 2725
#11 Posted: 01:00:30 11/06/2014
Some of them are pretty much like Magic Items but with a more than one use.
---
Elite Skystones Set Complete.
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#12 Posted: 01:17:21 11/06/2014
Wolfgang is so AWESOME!!! WHOO!!! ROCK ON, WOLFGANG!!! smilie
#13 Posted: 01:57:08 11/06/2014
OK, so I get why they went with the 30 second mechanic---to enforce the "team" aspect of the game. The overpowered nature does make it a "get out of a jam" situation. Provided the game actually provides one.

Jawbreaker reminds me of the rock em sock em robots to some extent.

And Wolfgang's move it spot on. They really need to make him a full on figure. That's how awesome that one is to me personally.

Seeing that Brocolli Guy's mechanic is a "heal" makes sense...but again we've had skylanders that could do this way back in the first game, and we didn't need traps to do it.

Lock Puzzles are slightly more interesting, but to me isn't enough different for me to be extremely enthusiastic.

Painyata is cute and all...in fact the whole game has got a case of the cutsies.
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 02:03:17 11/06/2014 by GhostRoaster
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#14 Posted: 01:57:53 11/06/2014
30 seconds of Painyata time? lame.

i just think TFB is out of ideas.
#15 Posted: 02:02:27 11/06/2014
Quote: ZapNorris
30 seconds of Painyata time? lame.

i just think TFB is out of ideas.

It all has a deja vu feeling to me personally. The game, and the sucking sound of the money being depleted from my bank account. What's not to love? :/
---
#16 Posted: 02:05:02 11/06/2014
this might just be where it all ends.
#17 Posted: 02:09:11 11/06/2014
this might just be where it all ends.

I guess we'll see. The traps feel like they are big time overreaching given they have a time limit--granted they are more "powerful"...but with 200+ skylanders at my disposal...why should I care?

Did anyone catch that the villain will have a quest and that the quest will upgrade the villain? Big question is how are they approaching the skylanders with quests/heroics?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:10:12 11/06/2014 by GhostRoaster
#18 Posted: 02:10:51 11/06/2014
this might be the end of the line for me.
#19 Posted: 02:15:14 11/06/2014
this might be the end of the line for me.

I can justify getting the game just from a content perspective, but I'm done chasing hundreds of dollars of figures for a 10 hour game myself. I enjoy the collecting aspect of the toys, but these traps do not get me pumped. Hopefully we'll get something that makes me think differently from E3...but somehow I doubt it.
---
TheShadowDragon Ripto Gems: 2886
#20 Posted: 02:56:41 11/06/2014
Maybe the villains were given a time limit meter for two reasons:

1) Some of the villains are considered stronger than the Skylanders. For instance, Wolfgang's slide attack causes 400% damage.

2) If the villains hog all the game playtime, it takes the fun out of Skylanders: Trap Team. Besides, the Trap Masters play a very important role in the new game.

3) The captured villains are invulnerable to enemy attacks.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:15:30 12/07/2014 by TheShadowDragon
#21 Posted: 03:43:09 11/06/2014
It is very surreal. And to think we're going to PAY for that? That feel like they are really sticking it to us, despite it making sense "for the game". But so would online capability...but I digress.
---
#22 Posted: 03:45:50 11/06/2014
Consider the fact the villains have no health bar either, so you're getting 30 seconds of invincibility every 30 seconds. Assuming you are willing to deal with switching back and forth every time the timer resets.
#23 Posted: 03:52:10 11/06/2014
Quote: GothamLord
Consider the fact the villains have no health bar either, so you're getting 30 seconds of invincibility every 30 seconds. Assuming you are willing to deal with switching back and forth every time the timer resets.

See that's what is confusing me...in the last demo they had a power meter. So I take it they've redesigned it to make them invincible? I personally would not have a time limit, make them powerful, but all extremely weak-basically nightmare mode on steroids--two hits and you're done. Or--change how villains work once you've achieved a level of accomplishment with the game, assuming they are doing those types of things like in Swap Force (which I enjoyed btw).

I'm curious if these villains will also dish out damage to skylanders in the same way---I'm guessing NOT.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 04:02:32 11/06/2014 by GhostRoaster
#24 Posted: 04:02:07 11/06/2014
I dont know about two hits and out. That seems kinda off. You have a big baddie you have to work on defeating with a massive health bar. Capture them. Turn around to use them in a trap and they turn into a glass cannon. I'd rather have just had a majority of the villains be actual figures. The whole concept of traps looks good on paper, but I think its going to falter in practice. At least with the current information we have available.
#25 Posted: 04:12:46 11/06/2014
Yeah, just thinking out loud. Anything but a 30 second timer. I agree the gimmick doesn't seem to be compelling. The game supports the number of new characters, but with the villains it makes the number of characters relative to the 15+ short levels to be even more lopsided than before.

In my opinion--innovating the GAME ITSELF than just churning out 100 skylanders per game is required. They need to complement each other, but the focus is on the characters.

I'm with you though I would've loved to start a NON skylanders team that could make for more interesting gameplay both now and in the future.

Ohhhh weeeelllll
---
Yoshicrashcart8 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#26 Posted: 04:16:14 11/06/2014
I was actually really excited about playing though entire levels as Painyatta or the Chompy Mage. But I guess that isn't happening
---
smilie smilie smilie Dark element is best element. smilie smilie smilie
min8or Yellow Sparx Gems: 1030
#27 Posted: 04:20:57 11/06/2014
i'm hoping that mega blocks or a different third party company make some of the villains into figures, Mc Donalds or some of the dodgy merchandise that is floating around for the other games. If they do i'll cut the top of a trap and attach it there and it can be its permanent home.
---
271figures+11Vehicles+55Traps(+Outlaw,Riot,Steamed,Rebel,Steampunk)+38Magic Items
TrapTeamNeeded:Life and Water Minis (s2)
DaMadNes Blue Sparx Gems: 944
#28 Posted: 04:21:57 11/06/2014
I really like this limitation. It keeps the focus on skylanders, while emphasizing team up synergies.

More excited than for trap team than b4
#29 Posted: 04:26:59 11/06/2014
Quote: Yoshicrashcart8
I was actually really excited about playing though entire levels as Painyatta or the Chompy Mage. But I guess that isn't happening

Well you could technically. You'd have to stop in the middle of the level every 30 seconds, wait and switch back. Run around as fast as possible for 30 seconds doing things. Switch back. I'd be annoying and frustrating, but I'd imagine you could still complete a level fully as a villain. Defeating certain bosses might prove problematic.

I know someone posted earlier (I dont remember who) about unlocking something in the end game+ or something that removed the timer. Personally I'd love that. Or maybe... the Battle Arena will allow for playing villains as well. Of course if thats the case, as much as I didnt really care about online before, i'd have to go over to the Online supports side of the fence at that point. Having the Villains playable in the arena and still refusing to add online play, just screams of ignorance and poor planning.
#30 Posted: 04:29:42 11/06/2014
Why can't they add a watch dog "hack" feature for tech skylanders to skip puzzles? Makes sense to me.

Yes that came out of nowhere.

Oh wait...if they're basically giving us the ability to unleash heck with villains and have no repercussions---why not add another feature that skips content? It seems games these days are coming with too many "easy" buttons. (Goes back to play Galaga).
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 04:32:33 11/06/2014 by GhostRoaster
#31 Posted: 04:36:09 11/06/2014
I'm sure there will be another item from Auric's store for gold that lets you bypass puzzles again.
DutRank Blue Sparx Gems: 800
#32 Posted: 05:12:39 11/06/2014
So why did they need a new portal? The traps are nothing but magic items.
#33 Posted: 05:18:42 11/06/2014
Quote: DutRank

Speaker.
---
Angry Rage Quit Yellow Sparx Gems: 1488
#34 Posted: 06:29:50 11/06/2014
Perhaps the timer depletes by a factor relative to damage sustained each time a villain takes damage? I couldn't tell watching the video.
---
Whip up a storm!
#35 Posted: 06:36:45 11/06/2014
Nah. I think that would have likely be hard to ignore being mentioned. They pretty much implied it was up to 30 seconds, which can vary by how long you leave them out vs letting them rest to reset said timer. They said they had no health bar.
sky-dragon Emerald Sparx Gems: 3206
#36 Posted: 08:01:01 11/06/2014
Wait mybe 30 seconds are the villains so what about the main boss villains
---
"ryuujin no ken wo kurae!"
#37 Posted: 08:09:22 11/06/2014
Villains are Villains are Villains. You can use them for up to spurts of 30 seconds at a time. Putting a different adjective in front of the villain isnt going to change their time counter.
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#38 Posted: 08:51:50 11/06/2014
Quote: Yoshicrashcart8

Yes, I'm really disappointed about the villain news we've gotten from E3. Painyatta is my favourite villain, I wish I could actually play with them for a decent amount of time, and wander around the hub with them.

As an aside: the ability to send villains to the vault without needing a Trap is good gameplay-wise, but I fear it will go unexplained story-wise, and that's hampered down my interest in the storyline. Now I'm just worried that we're going to have a SWAP Force situation where the story was worse than the already-iffy one in Giants (I predict that TT will have better storytelling than SF did, and I think it feels more compelling than SF's seemed last year, but I'm not enthusiastic to see it any more). The same applies to the timer on villains.
I don't mind those things for the sake of balance BUT there ideally should be a reason behind them so that they're more compelling, and unless the rest of the story is interesting or enjoyable enough I won't hold my own Suspension of Disbelief- I will simply see it as bad storytelling if the game has meh writing all over and a lack of magic. And I'm kind of worried about that after the meh, uninteresting story with mediocre telling that SWAP Force had. As another aside: I am still looking forward to the game, simply not as much as I was. And I commend the writers for making a concept more interesting than the one in Giants or SF, at absolute least (just hearing the story bio made me curious to learn about the villains), I suppose we'll just need to wait to see how they execute it.
And one last aside: before anyone says I'm hoping for too much when I ask for "interesting" or "compelling" storytelling, whatever that means, I don't have my hopes up for it any more and probably never will again unless TT surprises me. However, I give the creators of the story the benefit of the doubt, because I do not know them, do not know what they intend to do for the story, and simply hate pointing laser-focus cynically toward the story and ignoring the parts that look good to me in the game, not mentioning them. I'm not saying those completely excuse bad storytelling- they don't, bad storytelling is something that could be improved a lot and could be pretty bothersome and it's fair to criticise for that- but I don't think it's right to state it like fact that the storytelling will suck and I should give up on it completely if they MIGHT screw up the telling because there are POSSIBLE SIGNS of it happening, no matter how likely it seems or if it will be right, and also not praising them for anything that does look interesting or good which I will want to play the game for and just telling them FIX THE STORY. [/ramble] Just imo...

Quote: GothamLord
I know someone posted earlier (I dont remember who) about unlocking something in the end game+ or something that removed the timer.

this has to be a thing
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:54:13 11/06/2014 by Arc of Archives
#39 Posted: 09:05:13 11/06/2014
Quote: Arc of Archives

this has to be a thing

Well ya know there is still some time at E3, and some of the big YouTubers are still there and read the forums.

*cough* *cough*

Someone could always drop a hint towards this. Beat a difficulty increase the timer. Beat Nightmare mode ....remove it completely. There is still some time to re-code things in the game. I cant image throwing a health bar on them has to be a massive coding issue. They already have the attacks and such. Thats the hardest part.

*cough cough*

Just sayin' ...

Give us a REAL reason to bother replaying the storymode several times on a higher difficulty.
Skylanders Dad Blue Sparx Gems: 878
#40 Posted: 11:10:57 11/06/2014
Besides a few new characters, THIS was the big reveal for the famous E3 show? A limitation? Well...That's an unexpected development. Que sera sera.
---
Here we go again...!
ShaneK Yellow Sparx Gems: 1736
#41 Posted: 11:17:17 11/06/2014
Quote: DaMadNes
I really like this limitation. It keeps the focus on skylanders, while emphasizing team up synergies.

More excited than for trap team than b4

Agreed, 100%
Toynerd14 Ripto Gems: 95
#42 Posted: 11:18:26 11/06/2014
Quote: Skylanders Dad
Besides a few new characters, THIS was the big reveal for the famous E3 show? A limitation? Well...That's an unexpected development. Que sera sera.

Oh well, I care about the characters the most anyway.
#43 Posted: 12:20:50 11/06/2014

it remains to see if we can skip dialog or are forced to sit through it like with did with the other games...
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Skylanders Dad Blue Sparx Gems: 878
#44 Posted: 13:20:12 11/06/2014
Quote: Toynerd14

Oh well, I care about the characters the most anyway.

Yup. I was excited to show my little one the new ones this morning. He LOVED Jawbreaker and Painyatta...and, despite my reading of some's disappointment with the name, Broccoli Guy. A random unconfirmed thought on that: The name "Broccolini" may be trademarked, preventing Activision from using it...but yeah, that would have been an awesome name with the play on Houdini.
---
Here we go again...!
Failinhearts Gold Sparx Gems: 2376
#45 Posted: 17:44:05 11/06/2014
Quote: CountMoneyBone

Yeah, but that 400 damage slide aside, the other attacks are not that strong compared to other skylanders. For example, Painyatta's Candy barf does 20 damage each and Wolfgang's Gutair strums does 100 damage, compared to Krypt King's 125 damage swings, it seems like things need to be changed. Either bump damage up even higher, upgrade them to a longer time limit or have strong damage but low health, to differentiate from Giants.

I am pretty sure Buzzer Beak won't make that much damage.
---
SSA: 37/37. SG: 61/62. SSF: 73/75 STT: 42/78
Have left this forum, who knows if I'll come back...
A believer of Jesus Christ
Takadox360 Gold Sparx Gems: 2852
#46 Posted: 18:08:34 11/06/2014
Quote: Failinhearts
Quote: CountMoneyBone

Yeah, but that 400 damage slide aside, the other attacks are not that strong compared to other skylanders. For example, Painyatta's Candy barf does 20 damage each and Wolfgang's Gutair strums does 100 damage, compared to Krypt King's 125 damage swings, it seems like things need to be changed. Either bump damage up even higher, upgrade them to a longer time limit or have strong damage but low health, to differentiate from Giants.

I am pretty sure Buzzer Beak won't make that much damage.

They always deal more damage in the demos at E3....
---
i am trash
Angry Rage Quit Yellow Sparx Gems: 1488
#47 Posted: 08:13:49 13/06/2014
So if they nerf the damage, the perk to using them leans towards that whole "3 0seconds of invincibility" concept :/
---
Whip up a storm!
Okaps Platinum Sparx Gems: 6245
#48 Posted: 08:28:20 13/06/2014
If they last 30 seconds and take that long to recharge, it means you can be one 50% of the time.
---
#all Spyros are valid
#49 Posted: 08:55:17 13/06/2014
Depending on how easy it is to swap out traps as well, and if the counter resets when traps are outta the vault, after you have multiple villains you could technically increase that 50% of the time up even further.

I'm curious now also if multiple traps of the same villain would each have their own timer.

Say I got 3 undead traps and put Wolfgang in all of them. Could I just keep rotating the traps? Yes, its not logically a sound practice as the constant swapping with the traps and loading back and forth, but it would seem possible.
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#50 Posted: 18:12:38 13/06/2014
Quote: DutRank

irl speaker and also magic items dont really save anything. (Villians can be upgraded)
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me