Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > Nintendo's Answer to Skylanders and Disney Infinity
Page 1 of 1
Nintendo's Answer to Skylanders and Disney Infinity [CLOSED]
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7089
#1 Posted: 13:41:09 08/05/2014 | Topic Creator
http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/08/...-games-4721230/

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#2 Posted: 14:17:49 08/05/2014
Please, for the love of God, make Wario and Little Mac figures.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:31:13 08/05/2014 by Matteomax
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3251
#3 Posted: 14:23:49 08/05/2014
I'm definitely interested so far~
#4 Posted: 14:28:36 08/05/2014 | Topic Creator
To summarise:

Basically, Nintendo are finally going to be using the NFC technology that's been laying dormant within the Wii U GamePad. They will also be making an NFC peripheral for 3DS. And will be making figurines of Nintendo characters that will work across multiple games on both systems and hold custom player data, much like Skylanders. Unlike Skylanders, however, it will also work across multiple genres. So you could probably hold data related to Mario in his platformer games, Mario Kart, and maybe even Super Smash Bros, all in this one figure.

Depending on how Nintendo handles this, these figurines could be amazing, and way better than what Skylanders and even Disney Infinity are doing (though to DI's credit, it handles the concept way better than Skylanders to begin with).

They will be revealing more about these at E3, and plan to start releasing them over the holidays. Also, the 3DS peripheral will be released next year.
---
Darchangel Blue Sparx Gems: 627
#5 Posted: 14:42:43 08/05/2014
Quote: sonicbrawler182
To summarise:

Basically, Nintendo are finally going to be using the NFC technology that's been laying dormant within the Wii U GamePad. They will also be making an NFC peripheral for 3DS. And will be making figurines of Nintendo characters that will work across multiple games on both systems and hold custom player data, much like Skylanders. Unlike Skylanders, however, it will also work across multiple genres. So you could probably hold data related to Mario in his platformer games, Mario Kart, and maybe even Super Smash Bros, all in this one figure.

Depending on how Nintendo handles this, these figurines could be amazing, and way better than what Skylanders and even Disney Infinity are doing (though to DI's credit, it handles the concept way better than Skylanders to begin with).

They will be revealing more about these at E3, and plan to start releasing them over the holidays. Also, the 3DS peripheral will be released next year.

You're so good at summaries, I'd always rather read yours than the actual article.

On topic, I don't have a Wii U, but this looks cool! I've barely played Skylanders and never played Disney Infinity but this looks better than what I know of both.
---
>N< "Everyone knows I'm in over my head."
I'll Start Trying In September
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#6 Posted: 17:31:21 08/05/2014
Seems fun, but the "toys come to life" thing is getting overused.
kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
#7 Posted: 19:09:37 08/05/2014
If Bowser and Midna are in it, it's a NEED. I will gladly abandon skylanders for this.
---
I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
EmperorKaos Emerald Sparx Gems: 4392
#8 Posted: 19:19:35 08/05/2014
rip selection screen and memory card

[User Posted Image]
LocoGuy107 Ripto Gems: 390
#9 Posted: 19:56:28 08/05/2014
To summarise:

I FULLY agree with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But UB Funkies already existed, so I'm no longer interested in the "toys mashed with video games" concept anymore.
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8399
#10 Posted: 21:34:57 08/05/2014
See what happens when you reject Skylanders?
#11 Posted: 22:39:14 08/05/2014
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Seems interesting... I'm going to be out of money if this continues...

And this is why I didn't get deep into Skylanders.
eruptshake137 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1436
#12 Posted: 22:49:51 08/05/2014
To summarise:

In skylanders all coins, hats, upgrades and stats carry over game to game.
---
Prepare for trouble. Make it double.

CATS
#13 Posted: 23:51:32 08/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: eruptshake137
To summarise:

In skylanders all coins, hats, upgrades and stats carry over game to game.

But each game is the same genre (not counting those mobile games). There is no big "Skylanders Kart" or "Skylanders Party" or "Skylanders Fighters" or anything. Just the same light-action game each installment.

----------

Anyway, here are my full thoughts on what I think/hope Nintendo will do with this concept (I was typing this on a Smash Bros forum, so I was mainly discussing how it could be integrated into Smash, but I did comment on how other games could use it):

Quote:
So here's how I think/hope it's gonna go down:

For Fighters

All characters announced in time for the 3DS version will be available in the game as normal (as well as unlockables). Both the Wii U Smash and the NFC figures launch this holiday season. So we will get figurines to go along with Smash (however, characters in the 3DS version by default will be in the Wii U version by default). We will get ones for at least some of the existing characters, and we will get a new character or two. These figures will be a vehicle for Nintendo DLC, including Smash. Instead of purchasing new characters digitally, you will purchase them as figures. Data for these characters will be added as patches, and the toys will be the keys.

But wait - the 3DS won't be able to use the NFC technology until sometime in the first half of 2015, because the 3DS does not have the NFC technology built in, and will require a peripheral to be developed. So what does that mean for any extra Smash characters released as figurines in time for the Wii U version?

They'll be timed exclusives for Wii U. Just to clarify, the data for these characters will not be present on the 3DS cart. They would be installed as patches when the 3DS peripheral is available. The developers are not holding these characters back from the 3DS version, they are literally creating extra characters AFTER the 3DS version is out. Extra DLC characters, essentially.

I know some people will say this is unfair, but 3DS owners will have Smash a couple of months early, so I feel like any argument that this is unfair goes out the window. It's a fair trade off - get the game a few months early (with exclusive features like Smash Run), but wait a few months extra for your version to be compatible with the new characters. This would be a great way to help the Wii U and it's version of Smash sell better. The existing 3DS fans will have a genuine reason to get a Wii U and it's version of Smash, brand new, over the holiday season.

Other Features

-Custom movesets could be stored on each figurine.
-When you clear Classic Mode with a character, you get their "Smash" trophy, where they are in their pose from the character select screen, and information about them as a Smash fighter will be displayed. When you clear All-Star Mode, you get the "Final Smash" trophy, like in Brawl. If you have a figurine of a character, you can scan it and receive a "Classic" trophy, and you get a trophy where they are in whatever pose they are in on the figurine, and information about their history is displayed.
-Smash Run equipment sets can be stored on each figurine.
-If the Wii U version has a robust single-player adventure with RPG elements like SSE and it's sticker system, customisation for that can be saved.
-A "Player Card" could be a common thing you could store on all of your figures, which has your NNID, your Mii, your record information, Global Smash Power, etc.

Justifying the price

So the most important thing, that makes or breaks this idea, is the price tag. We don't know how much they will be yet. But for the sake of discussion, Skylanders figurines on their own cost $8. So we will pretend they will cost this much.

I will view this as a justifiable price tag if many games support this NFC thing well. A big problem with Skylanders is that the toys are only compatible with Skylanders games, which are all of the same genre, and play overly similarly. Then you have Disney Infinity which, despite being FAR more impressive than Skylanders, and despite offering LittleBigPlanet-esque elements, and despite using actual beloved characters - it's only one game. So buying lots of these toys is a questionable practice, in terms of whether or not it's really worth it.

But Nintendo has mentioned that their toys will be compatible with multiple games of MULTIPLE GENRES. Which pushes up their worth a bunch if done right.

I'll use the Mario figurine as an example. Imagine if the Mario figurine could:

-Bank power-ups, lives, and coins that you can use across Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario 3D Land, NSMBU, and NSMB2 as you need to.
-Store customised kart data and time trial ghosts for Mario in Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8.
-Store the information I described above in relation to Mario for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS.

If the figurines could work something like that (I'm using existing games and Smash as examples, I don't think these will actually be integrated much into their back catalog, if at all), they'd TOTALLY be worth $8, especially considering that, not only would they allow cross-purchasing and cross-compatibility features in Nintendo games for your own personal benefit at home, but also allow you to take this data to a friends house and use your data while playing with them. Plus, you get a pretty figurine of your favourite Nintendo character to put on your shelf when it's not in use! That altogether would be great value!

So yeah, that's what I hope these figurines will be used for. If Nintendo does this sort of thing, it would really help unify Wii U and 3DS as one platform, rather than one being "the Nintendo console" and one being "the Nintendo handheld". It would help Wii U sales a ton if done right, by bringing the 3DS install base onto the Wii U, and possibly more people beyond that.

Also, I believe buying Smash Wii U should net you a free figurine of a character of your choice.
---
#14 Posted: 00:51:47 09/05/2014
That's better than doing Wii Remote data!
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8399
#15 Posted: 00:55:09 09/05/2014
This would be interesting for Smash Bros.
Rendar Platinum Sparx Gems: 6428
#16 Posted: 03:15:34 09/05/2014
Not a fan.
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8179
#17 Posted: 04:13:53 09/05/2014
Quote: LocoGuy107
To summarise:

I FULLY agree with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But UB Funkies already existed, so I'm no longer interested in the "toys mashed with video games" concept anymore.

Did you even bother reading the summary before quoting Loco?

Well there's another pocket burner coming soon. I like the idea of it, though I'm more used to the select character menu better when it comes to Nintendo stuff. Though if the figures are optional for when playing smash bros and such than I'm fine, if not then I think something put me off in the corner.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
Gage Platinum Sparx Gems: 6654
#18 Posted: 04:19:05 09/05/2014
Quote: EmperorKaos
rip selection screen and memory card

[User Posted Image]

We'll have to depend on good ol' money to unlock our fighting game characters from now on.
---
Got it Memorized?
iceblade2488 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1070
#19 Posted: 11:36:30 09/05/2014
It's and interesting concept indeed, but they better not be 10$ a piece.
---
Just a fool driven by nostolgia
sniper52 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1306
#20 Posted: 10:28:27 10/05/2014
The reason I quit Skylanders is because the games got bad and I was spending too much money on them. I'm not buying these figures for one gimmicky feature if they cost $10 a piece.
---
HAISHFTAYADGHpenisHDGNADGITUGDUAHD
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#21 Posted: 16:05:03 10/05/2014
My only feelings.

---------
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
Sky Airglow Yellow Sparx Gems: 1136
#22 Posted: 04:05:04 16/05/2014
This actually seems interesting. But how did I not guess Nintendo would do something like this, I have no clue. The idea is really getting over used, wow... Hopefully the price is decent, at least.
TerraFizz Yellow Sparx Gems: 1484
#23 Posted: 04:56:39 17/05/2014
They tried this with Pokemon Rumble U and that REALLY worked out great for them. /sarcasm
---
smilie Pop Fizz's Theme Song: smilie
http://youtu.be/zpE08s1g7m4
shroom boom Emerald Sparx Gems: 3133
#24 Posted: 11:03:11 17/05/2014
seems interesting we might get some info this e3
---
103 skylanders in total SSA:31/32 SG:26/30 SSF:39/56
ShadowMewX Diamond Sparx Gems: 8044
#25 Posted: 12:55:17 17/05/2014
Oh wow! I guess we've been expecting this to happen. I'm still excited, though- I've stopped buying Skylanders for a while and I don't have Disney Infinity, so I'm fine in terms of money. But there has to be a Pit figure. X3
---
Let's bust bunsen burners and bounce!
#26 Posted: 13:21:00 17/05/2014
Quote: ShadowMewX
Oh wow! I guess we've been expecting this to happen. I'm still excited, though- I've stopped buying Skylanders for a while and I don't have Disney Infinity, so I'm fine in terms of money. But there has to be a Pit figure. X3

There is, it's a sort kind of advanture pack. It's called "reset bomb somewhatnot" He comes in there.
There's a list in Non-Spyro, for those who wonder. smilie

Quote:
Wave 3: May 29, 2015
Reset Bomb Forest Level Pack (Pit, Reset Bomb Forest Level, Pandora Claws) [$15]

It's painfull we have to wait for Pit so long.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:22:30 17/05/2014 by NINJAsk11
#27 Posted: 13:30:03 17/05/2014
Oh...my...Palutena....

*explodes in happiness*
---
#28 Posted: 13:32:17 17/05/2014
Oh...my...Palutena....

*explodes in happiness*

I know right? It's pretty cool.
#29 Posted: 13:42:38 17/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: NINJAsk11

There is, it's a sort kind of advanture pack. It's called "reset bomb somewhatnot" He comes in there.

Quote:
Reset Bomb Forest Level Pack (Pit, Reset Bomb Forest Level, Pandora Claws) [$15]

...There are no announced figurines yet. We don't even know what games will use them.
---
kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
#30 Posted: 23:54:21 17/05/2014
I think they're thinking about someone's speculated list in the non-spyro section.
---
I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
Dyno-Mite Ripto Gems: 92
#31 Posted: 20:05:49 21/05/2014
Quote: NINJAsk11

Quote:

...There are no announced figurines yet. We don't even know what games will use them.

The art kinda confirms Mario.
Will171717 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1208
#32 Posted: 00:35:02 22/05/2014
I stopped buying skylanders so i now have some extra cash, time to go buy a pit figure!
---
henlo
#33 Posted: 22:35:09 22/05/2014
Quote: Will171717
I stopped buying skylanders so i now have some extra cash, time to go buy a pit figure!

My thoughts exactly! smilie
---
hardcoreignitor Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#34 Posted: 22:41:01 22/05/2014
MUST BUY VILLAGER
---
nyeheheheheh

hey lois, i’m dustah from mudda 3
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me