Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3
Trap Team vs. Disney Infinity 2.0
madibart Blue Sparx Gems: 511
#1 Posted: 18:54:45 30/04/2014 | Topic Creator
They finally announced the Marvel expansion of Infinity

http://popcultureblog.dallasne...ters-here.html/

After watching this video and the Trap Team launch I think I might be ready to make the switch. I've been very supportive of the Skylanders franchise (bought all 3 games, 3 portable games, several mobile versions, 175 characters) but the lack of online play and no real advancement in the series has made me re-think my choice.

I've been playing Disney Infinity for the last month and while it's certainly buggy the play experience is more interesting to me. The biggest issue I had with Infinity was that leveling the characters had no effect on them but the new skill trees they added (okay, stole from Skylanders) look really cool.

Also, the expanded toybox looks really, really nice.

Finally, the toys themselves are extremely well made. I will say that I like the creativity of the Skylander toys in general though.

The whole idea of abandoning Skylanders makes me sad. I've really enjoyed the games but if I'm going to plunk down the cash for the experience that I think will give me the most value for my money.
Pyrofer Gold Sparx Gems: 2495
#2 Posted: 19:09:06 30/04/2014
I still won't get Infinity. I just think there is more fun to be had with my Kids with Skylanders.
I am a Disney fan and so are my kids, but I just feel if I can't buy both I have to pick one and I already started with Skylanders anyway. Why switch eh.
DocCroc Yellow Sparx Gems: 1668
#3 Posted: 19:09:18 30/04/2014
I'd say wait and see what Skylanders does for the next game. Trap Team as a whole (to me) isn't very impressive from an innovation perspective. Now that they get some stiffer competition with the improvements to Infinity, they'll have to spruce things up to appeal to a wider audience that's more than Skylanders fans. The cross-media appeal of Disney and Marvel characters is a huge hurdle to be put up against, even if Skylanders winds up being a better game, which is too early to say anyway.

Really though... It's time for Activision to put that Transformers license to use.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:10:03 30/04/2014 by DocCroc
aojdawg Green Sparx Gems: 115
#4 Posted: 19:12:36 30/04/2014
Agree wholeheartedly with OP - Infinity just ate Skylanders' lunch. I for one won't miss the variant hunt, snotty forum members, and overall increasingly negative experiences caused by this franchise. And just think - Disney hasn't unleashed Star Wars characters for Infinity yet...
Earth-Dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#5 Posted: 19:15:26 30/04/2014
Just wait until you find out most characters can't play most levels. The figures aren't as universal as you think and the entire line is weakened in my eyes because of it.

If that changes with the Marvel characters that may have me rethink some things.
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
Zylek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1920
#6 Posted: 19:22:29 30/04/2014
I think what they are doing for DI 2.0 and the skill tree appears to be better than Skylanders. It looks like you'll have many more options than just deciding between two paths. They seem to have addressed some of the biggest issues I had with DI. First being the character upgrades, two offering more templated games in the tox box, and three makes building large environments easier. First issue was addressed with the skill tree enhancement. Second issue is being addressed with addition of dungeon crawl and tower defense template games and third the landscape brushes will allow for easy creation of environments.

I'm hoping the Super Hero playset is more robust than what was offered for DI 1.0 and it appears to be from the trailer. Apparently it's not just super heroes in 2.0 and they'll show more Disney/Pixar stuff at E3. They appear to have gotten the voice talent from their animated tv series so kids will be familiar with them. The Avenger characters they showed look fantastic in the DI anime design!

Since launch, they've been posting weekly new worlds that can be downloaded so they've definitely shown they are dedicated to delivering content throughout the ENTIRE cycle, which is a huge plus in my mind given how much money you need to invest for characters and I wish Skylanders would take a note of that.

My kids are going to flip when they see the trailers when they get home from school today. I didn't play DI 1.0 very much with them as I preferred Skylanders game play better and wasn't that in to the Tox Box stuff that they seemed to love, but 2.0 looks like a different story to me, I want my Iron Man and Spiderman now! smilie
---
Anyone know where my avatar is from?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:23:40 30/04/2014 by Zylek
#7 Posted: 19:26:16 30/04/2014
Quote: Earth-Dragon
Just wait until you find out most characters can't play most levels. The figures aren't as universal as you think and the entire line is weakened in my eyes because of it.

If that changes with the Marvel characters that may have me rethink some things.

The super hero "playset" seems to be all expansive allowing for all super hero characters (apparently 18 of them) to play in that playset/game. We''ll see more at E3, color me impressed thus far.
---
Donatron Green Sparx Gems: 494
#8 Posted: 19:26:23 30/04/2014
I'd have to play the game first. I was very excited about the first DI, but I was extremely disappointed once I played it. But I do love how they're making significant changes to the gameplay. They didn't just add a gimmick and call it a day. It'll be interesting to see if it's enough.
---
Activate: Donatron | Xbox Live: The Donatron
SSA: 32/32 | SG: 16/16 | SSF: 28/32
#9 Posted: 19:29:13 30/04/2014
^ Agreed, the playsets/games in DI 1.0 were very lacking as far as I was concerned.

My daughter said she wanted a Black Widow for sure if they made one and it'll be out at launch so she'll be pumped!
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:45:46 30/04/2014 by Zylek
preciousawaken Yellow Sparx Gems: 1774
#10 Posted: 19:39:00 30/04/2014
I love and will always love Disney parks and movies. However, Infinity is boring....The toy box got old for me quickly. On top of that I despise Marvel and will not support those characters. I applaud Disney for listening to feedback but will not buy unless there are play sets with Classic Disney characters.

So for me...it is Trap Team all the way!!! But I already knew that before the Infinity announcement. The marvels overload is just a nail in the coffin.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:40:13 30/04/2014 by preciousawaken
wgeorge111 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3774
#11 Posted: 19:44:00 30/04/2014
DI 2.0 is absolutely zero threat to Skylanders Wii users as DI 2.0 is not made for the Wii.
#12 Posted: 19:45:07 30/04/2014
There will be more classic Disney characters and playsets, they just focused on the super hero aspect today.
---
#13 Posted: 19:47:19 30/04/2014
Quote: wgeorge111
DI 2.0 is absolutely zero threat to Skylanders Wii users as DI 2.0 is not made for the Wii.

That's your opinion, I think Activision doesn't share it though. I guess this thread will be a repeat of last year how everyone will completely trash DI and say it ripped off Skylanders and no one will buy it.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:48:39 30/04/2014 by Zylek
#14 Posted: 19:47:50 30/04/2014
Quote: wgeorge111

But I wander what percentage of players are gonna plan on buying it for a Wii? This seems rather small.
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#15 Posted: 19:50:23 30/04/2014
Not this again. There is no reason to ask for this on a spyro/SKYLANDERS forum site.
Because at least 70% will choose Skylanders anyways. :>>
#16 Posted: 19:52:53 30/04/2014
Quote: Zylek
There will be more classic Disney characters and playsets, they just focused on the super hero aspect today.

Infinity just released a stat sheet that says "over 20 playable Marvel characters" since they did 29 last time....not very good odds.
#17 Posted: 19:55:49 30/04/2014
^ They said specifically during the live event that more Disney characters were coming, the developer said he's been getting bombarded on twitter about it and wanted to assure people they are coming.
---
#18 Posted: 20:00:37 30/04/2014
^ They said specifically during the live event that more Disney characters were coming, the developer said he's been getting bombarded on twitter about it and wanted to assure people they are coming.

Right they did 29 characters last time. So let's say they do 30 this time....minimum 20 are Marvel (which is ridiculous). I am not buying infinity 2.0 for 10 remaining characters that will probably be toy box only. Plus keep in mind Marvel IS Disney

Activision can have all my money :-)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:02:02 30/04/2014 by preciousawaken
#19 Posted: 20:08:18 30/04/2014
^ I'm sorry I don't see how they are capped at 30 this time, Skylanders Giants had 16 new characters and Swap Force had 32 new characters. The prior game doesn't predict anything.

Yes I'm aware that Marvel is Disney, they wouldn't have made a point to reassure people other characters were coming but meant something else by using that technicality. It's fine you won't be buying the game but don't invent reasons.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:11:56 30/04/2014 by Zylek
#20 Posted: 20:10:59 30/04/2014
Oh I was just giving an example. There might be more but we don't know yet. I just meant i am turned off by potential numbers being heavily favoring marvel.
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#21 Posted: 20:12:30 30/04/2014
Need more than a brand to sell me on Infinity after how crappy 1.0 turned out for me. You can't just slap Marvel characters on something and call it a good game.

The game seriously holds people back. The reason I appreciate Skylanders so much is because -

1: My characters can play in ALL worlds
2: It innovates with each new game, giving us new types of gameplay within the current gameplay
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
#22 Posted: 20:19:16 30/04/2014
Obviously you didn't watch the event if you think they just slapped Marvel on it. That would be like when they slapped Giants on SSA. No, they addressed many of the initial gripes, many of which I remember you voicing.
---
wgeorge111 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3774
#23 Posted: 20:20:09 30/04/2014
But I wander what percentage of players are gonna plan on buying it for a Wii? This seems rather small.

There are a lot of people who still only have a Wii and no other console. I am pretty sure the largest percentage of Skylanders console sales are for the Wii. That is one of the main reasons you see Trap Team being released on the Wii. DI 2.0 will not be able to capture any of this group.

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

http://www.forbes.com/sites/an...finity-success/
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:38:13 30/04/2014 by wgeorge111
crocko33 Blue Sparx Gems: 685
#24 Posted: 20:23:56 30/04/2014
I know I'm talking to Skylander fanboys, so this may go on deaf ears.

But, I have both games and love them both. Over the last 4 months, 75% of my play time has actually been in the Skylanders world.

With that said, seeing how Activision has handled Swap Force and not what I'm seeing for Trap Team and comparing that to the presentation I just saw for Disney Infinity 2.0.
Infinity 2.0 has me wow'ed!

From the perspective of being a fan of both games, the biggest thing that impressed me with what I watched today was just how much the Infinity team is focused on listening to consumer feedback and making the game better both a) technically because they can and b) because it is what the audience wants.
Every new advancement they announced is blue sky things that I have been hearing fans discuss over the past few months -- and we're actually getting it!!

Maybe I'm wrong, but with Activision, I think the difference is that they are advancing the game more to make a statement about who they are and what they can do and not necessarily because this is what our gamers want. With that said, there's a whole lot more info about Trap Team that I am still waiting on/looking forward to hearing -- hoping we continue to get more exciting news about the next game.

For me and my family, though, I can tell you we are already hooked on what Infinity 2.0 is bringing.
---
55 out of 80 Skylanders -- Activate account = crocko33
#25 Posted: 20:24:28 30/04/2014
All I have to say is that good thing they delayed the announcement of Trap Team until last week because DI 2.0 for sure would have stolen that idea and would have included the ability to capture and play as Marvel Villains in DI 2.0 smilie
---
#26 Posted: 20:40:30 30/04/2014
DI intends to make all characters to be forward and backward compatible so that makes the Wii not available. So Iron Man will be playable in the DI 1.0 game.
---
eruptshake137 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1436
#27 Posted: 20:58:09 30/04/2014
The funny thing is they said they had top sales, but activision says otherwise smilie
---
Prepare for trouble. Make it double.

CATS
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#28 Posted: 21:01:34 30/04/2014

I 'had' that mindset, but something of choice was mentioned in the article. Support for various game modes. That was THE biggest gripe I had about DI, it felt POINTLESS in toy box mode. Build a bridge...so what. Make a platform. So what. I could build a world and explor the world I made, but there was absolutely no point to it. THAT made most of the characters completely useless. My Jack skullington cou;ldn't play the Monster Inc set despite having a scare power, and did nothing in Toybox mode.

If they add a purpose to the toy box mode?

It changes EVERYTHING. Now there becomes a purpose to going online and downloading levels that people designed. Now, while I can't use Hulk in Monsters Inc, I can still 'play' with him. That is HUGE. that is worth more than the Marvel Licence. With that said...

While I'm not big on Avengers, my son (3 years old now) is HUGE on them, specifically Iron Man and Hulk.

I actually am going to take it a step further. Right now? DI2.0 is more appealing the TT.

TfB, listen to me.

Listen carefully.

Your gameplay is fine. Your graphics are fine. Your gimmick isn't developed well enough. Your lust for making money off figures is too extreme. Your long drawn out plan is too short. You need to deliver content and competition, those will drive the ship year 'round.

- Unreall
#29 Posted: 21:25:48 30/04/2014
The fact that they are bringing in Bendis to write the story arcs for the playsets and such is huge and should provide a rich experience, which is a night and day difference than the playset experiences of DI 1.0 imo.
---
wideawakewesley Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#30 Posted: 21:39:03 30/04/2014
DI 2.0 looks great based on what they showed today, but there are still some annoyances from 1.0 that they need to address. I'll likely own both, so it'll be interesting to see which one my kids lean towards.
---
Contributor to Family Gamer TV - http://www.familygamer.tv/
Follow me on twitter - http://www.twitter.com/wideawakewesley
#31 Posted: 21:44:24 30/04/2014
1.0's toy box had a big flaw in that it took SO long to gather enough toys to start making interesting/fun worlds. The template feature in 2.0 looks great and the little auto builder guys should be good for the kids.

I really like that DI 2.0 is an obvious step forward in respect to 1.0. STT seems like more of a sideways step when compared to SSF, but both games have loads more details to reveal at E3 and we'll see where that takes us.
---
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#32 Posted: 21:46:37 30/04/2014
Must we get into this debate so early on with both games just announced...?

Anyway, I don't care about the Disney aspect of Infinity (as Kingdom Hearts already is one of my favorite series of all time, and they've got Disney covered. Yoda Mickey. 'Nuff said. And some of the creepiest and most evil Disney villains ever were created for it. But I'm getting off track), and gameplay didn't interest me too much last time around. This time around looks better, but I'm almost certainly not getting it over Trap Team (though I might not get it either).

You may now resume lashing at each others' throats. Nice to see some fanaticism (d)evolving in the Skylanders community lol.
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
#33 Posted: 21:51:45 30/04/2014
We are likely getting both games, so it's not a one or the other type discussion for me. Gameplay will certainly affect how many characters of each game we buy though.
---
BlazeHeatnix28 Blue Sparx Gems: 911
#34 Posted: 21:52:18 30/04/2014
I may not buy Trap Team, but at the same time at wouldn't switch to Infinity because of the higher prices and the fact that I'm not a big Disney fan (though I love Scrooge McDuck and I really enjoyed Wreck-It Ralph and Frozen). The only reason I would move to Infinity would be if they make Star Wars characters playable (*cough*Captain Rex*cough*Commander Cody*cough*Ahsoka Tano*cough cough*). Still, I am very intrigued by Trap Team, and my love of dinosaurs combined with my love of technology into a Skylander just makes me want him.
---
Awesome Shadow The Hedgehog & Ahsoka Tano avatar by the equally awesome Ace Archdragon!!!!
"I can handle anything."-Ahsoka Tano (SW TCW Ssn.3 Ep.21)
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#35 Posted: 21:53:34 30/04/2014
All I have to say is that good thing they delayed the announcement of Trap Team until last week because DI 2.0 for sure would have stolen that idea and would have included the ability to capture and play as Marvel Villains in DI 2.0 smilie

They wouldn't have been able to do that in 1 week.
---
words. letters. filler.
#36 Posted: 21:56:05 30/04/2014
DI intends to make all characters to be forward and backward compatible so that makes the Wii not available. So Iron Man will be playable in the DI 1.0 game.

Nope, DI2.0 is BACKWARDS compatible with all Figures/Power Discs/Toy Boxes. It is not forward compatible, otherwise it'd be a sure loss of sales of 2.0.
---
words. letters. filler.
FreezeBlade98 Blue Sparx Gems: 938
#37 Posted: 21:59:36 30/04/2014
Skylanders Trap Team looks WAY better than Disney Infintity 2.0.
---
Best Trap Masters: smilie smilie smilie
Best villains: smilie smilie Tae Cwan Crow
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#38 Posted: 22:00:47 30/04/2014
Skylanders > Infinity, no matter what until both franchises die smilie

Quote: DocCroc
It's time for Activision to put that Transformers license to use.

No, don't bring Transformers into Skylanders wtf smilie
---
bye
#39 Posted: 22:00:55 30/04/2014
Quote: TacoMakerSkys

They wouldn't have been able to do that in 1 week.

I know, it was a joke because Activision gave "competitive advantage" as the reason why the didn't make the announcement at toyfair.
---
#40 Posted: 22:05:19 30/04/2014

Nope, DI2.0 is BACKWARDS compatible with all Figures/Power Discs/Toy Boxes. It is not forward compatible, otherwise it'd be a sure loss of sales of 2.0.

I guess you are calling the Executive Producer from DI a liar:

"So even if you own Infinity 1, you could buy an Infinity 2 character, [and] we would push all the animation data down the pipe into the Toy Box on Infinity 1."

Source: http://www.videogamer.com/xbox...every_year.html
---
#41 Posted: 22:13:05 30/04/2014

I guess you are calling the Executive Producer from DI a liar:

"So even if you own Infinity 1, you could buy an Infinity 2 character, [and] we would push all the animation data down the pipe into the Toy Box on Infinity 1."

Source: http://www.videogamer.com/xbox...every_year.html

"We COULD" is the main keyword, but if they wanted to do that in the first place, they could've just made it a patch instead of a new game.
---
words. letters. filler.
wideawakewesley Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#42 Posted: 22:17:49 30/04/2014
Quote: newkill
Skylanders > Infinity, no matter what until both franchises die smilie

Quote: DocCroc
It's time for Activision to put that Transformers license to use.

No, don't bring Transformers into Skylanders wtf smilie

Actually Transformers are joining the "toys to life" category this year. A Transformers branded version of Angry Birds Go is set for release in 2014.
---
Contributor to Family Gamer TV - http://www.familygamer.tv/
Follow me on twitter - http://www.twitter.com/wideawakewesley
#43 Posted: 22:23:52 30/04/2014
He said we WOULD not COULD if you read the quote. The "could" was on a person buying a DI 2 character but whatever you must have inside info. The point of the DI 2.0 pack is the Avenger playset and toy box enhancements. Being able to put a Hulk character in your DI 1.0 toy box is not going to make someone not want to buy the DI 2.0 pack, well I guess that's my uninformed opinion.

"We'll not only be forwards-compatible but backwards-compatible as well," Vignocchi continued, "because we'll push a title update that features all the characters from Infinity 2 that can be applied to your Infinity 1 game. So then players from Infinity 2 can still interact with players from Infinity 1 inside of their Toy Box with that title update.

---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:26:54 30/04/2014 by Zylek
GamerDrone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3287
#44 Posted: 22:31:06 30/04/2014
I believe DI 2.0 will give Trap Team a run for its money. The reveal event was really good. It started off slow, but it took off once the Marvel reveal started. I'm not a big fan of DI 1.0 and my kids barely play it. 2.0 does look interesting and the developers appear to have listened to customer feedback. With both games, I may have to go ahead and get a PS4.
willster8 Gold Sparx Gems: 2383
#45 Posted: 23:13:38 30/04/2014
I've always liked Disney, my little sister is a huge fan of Disney. She still thinks DI is pretty lame. She finds Skylanders much cooler and more fun. One thing I like more about Skylanders is that I don't know new characters, DI just incorporates characters I already know. I like the fact that each Skylanders games comes out with new and exciting characters I've never seen before. I like the characters in DI, but I already know them.
isaac343018s Emerald Sparx Gems: 4478
#46 Posted: 23:34:16 30/04/2014
Don't hate me for this, (It is MY opinion anyway) But I think this year I'll be pre ordering 2.0, and waiting for a price drop for Trap Team. I like both, but my Trap Team excitement doesn't seem as high as my Swap Force hype was. I'll get Trap Team yes, but maybe later...I'm EXTREMELY excited for 2.0 and cant wait. They added everything I wanted the to add. (Open flight, Marvel, Upgrades, Brushes, and even AI that build in the Toy Box!)
Corn_Hornet Yellow Sparx Gems: 1982
#47 Posted: 00:09:36 01/05/2014
Are all of the old figures getting skill trees added as well or just the 2.0 ones?
#48 Posted: 00:13:15 01/05/2014
Marvel is gonna bring in the older (mostly male) money. So you're singles guys in their 20s may be jumping ship. Unless the content is completely lackluster that is (and it may very well be).
---
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#49 Posted: 00:27:46 01/05/2014
disney has impressed me very much so.
DragonDog Ripto Gems: 1798
#50 Posted: 00:54:32 01/05/2014
Quote: madibart
They finally announced the Marvel expansion of Infinity

http://popcultureblog.dallasne...ters-here.html/

After watching this video and the Trap Team launch I think I might be ready to make the switch. I've been very supportive of the Skylanders franchise (bought all 3 games, 3 portable games, several mobile versions, 175 characters) but the lack of online play and no real advancement in the series has made me re-think my choice.

I've been playing Disney Infinity for the last month and while it's certainly buggy the play experience is more interesting to me. The biggest issue I had with Infinity was that leveling the characters had no effect on them but the new skill trees they added (okay, stole from Skylanders) look really cool.

Also, the expanded toybox looks really, really nice.

Finally, the toys themselves are extremely well made. I will say that I like the creativity of the Skylander toys in general though.

The whole idea of abandoning Skylanders makes me sad. I've really enjoyed the games but if I'm going to plunk down the cash for the experience that I think will give me the most value for my money.

Then why did me my mom and my sister find a Violet with her head popped off?! I didn't get a picture but it was in the box! The head was loose and just was wobbling around in the bottom of the package.
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me