darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Trap Team > Am I the only one that noticed it does not look like crystals have chips?
Page 1 of 1
Am I the only one that noticed it does not look like crystals have chips?
darkrai848 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3096
#1 Posted: 15:39:00 25/04/2014 | Topic Creator
It makes me think maybe the bad guy is not saved to the crystal at all and the game just remembers with bad guy you have. I mean I hope I can catch a bad guy and then take him over to a friends house and play as him there, but I don't see any thing that looks like a NFC chip in the crystals. What do you guys think?
---
If you like toys to life, you might be interested in Lightseekers!
Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playfusion/lightseekers/description
alegeobla Gold Sparx Gems: 2501
#2 Posted: 15:52:57 25/04/2014
It has to have a chip or the whole point of elemental traps have no meaning. Its probably just very small near the base
---
100% Character Upgrades: SA 43/43 SG 69/69 SSF 76/76 STT 25/69 SSC 32/34 SI 5/31 SEE 10/14
Currently Working on: Sure Shot smilie
AzureStarline Emerald Sparx Gems: 3539
#3 Posted: 15:54:46 25/04/2014
I noticed that and I'm wondering too.
---
Favorites: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
darkrai848 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3096
#4 Posted: 15:58:13 25/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: alegeobla
It has to have a chip or the whole point of elemental traps have no meaning. Its probably just very small near the base

I'm not saying it does not have a way to tell which trap is which, but it does not look like it has a chip.

Also How would 3ds only bad guys work on the main version...
---
If you like toys to life, you might be interested in Lightseekers!
Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playfusion/lightseekers/description
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#5 Posted: 15:58:53 25/04/2014
There has to be one in there somewhere, otherwise it wouldnt work
Zylek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1920
#6 Posted: 15:59:26 25/04/2014
That would break their current formula of transportability. They tout the ability to bring your toys over to a friends house and no matter the platform they all work and everything you have done it to to customize it comes too. It would be a huge departure to bind the baddies to your saved game and honestly if they were like that I'd be much less likely to get this game and invest in it's characters.
---
Anyone know where my avatar is from?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:00:36 25/04/2014 by Zylek
jckelsall Blue Sparx Gems: 624
#7 Posted: 16:05:09 25/04/2014
A series of small air bubbles surrounding the chip should refract the light enough to make it appear as though the chip has disappeared, and if the air bubbles are small enough, may themselves not be easily visible.
Another alternative is that they are in the small circle with the elemental sign.
Another thing I want to point is if the trap can not have an led inside. The way the lightcores work requires a reasonably large copper coil for the inductive charging, which evidently does not exist in the trap. This must mean that the trap hole in the portal has a white LED, which lights up each trap in its own colour.
wideawakewesley Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#8 Posted: 16:21:20 25/04/2014
Pretty sure they're in these small capsule shaped parts in the center:

[User Posted Image]
---
Contributor to Family Gamer TV - http://www.familygamer.tv/
Follow me on twitter - http://www.twitter.com/wideawakewesley
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#9 Posted: 16:24:27 25/04/2014
Quote: wideawakewesley

[User Posted Image]

Sounds about right. Looks that way to.
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
ViDeOmAnCiNi Platinum Sparx Gems: 7055
#10 Posted: 17:20:19 25/04/2014
They have to have a chip inside. In the "extended launch video with gameplay" on YT from Activision, one of the devs has brought the villain "Chill Bill" from home since he is further into the game than they are in the demo they are giving at that moment.

Go watch it.

-vm
---
♫ "Many dreams come true and some have silver linings, I live for my dream and a pocketful of gold" ♫

FiUSAwS:G! http://bit.ly/R3L1lb
#11 Posted: 17:25:45 25/04/2014
^They said he had brought it from home, but it is obvious he didn't - it was just to say that it was possible to take them console to console, as you can with the characters. Your point, however, does still stand.
SoulfulWolf Platinum Sparx Gems: 5772
#12 Posted: 17:54:15 25/04/2014

[User Posted Image]

Does anyone else notice that the Tech Trap also seems to be a Tiki Trap? (Much like the Water Tiki Trap in the picture from the starter pack.) This brings up a whole new question. Along with how many different traps their will be; How many different elements will each trap be available in?
#13 Posted: 18:11:11 25/04/2014
Quote: SoulfulWolf

Does anyone else notice that the Tech Trap also seems to be a Tiki Trap? (Much like the Water Tiki Trap in the picture from the starter pack.) This brings up a whole new question. Along with how many different traps their will be; How many different elements will each trap be available in?

It may be a similar idea to Swap force - two of each element, two of each type. This would be a minimum of 16 traps, with 8 'shapes' and 8 elements, plus extras like the Kaos trap.
Zylek Yellow Sparx Gems: 1920
#14 Posted: 18:17:38 25/04/2014
So there shouldn't be any reason why you could not use the villains in Skylanders 5 even if the portal doesn't have a slot to put it in. You should just be able to lay it on the portal for the chip to be read.
---
Anyone know where my avatar is from?
#15 Posted: 18:33:54 25/04/2014
That isn't neccessarily true. RFID requires an electromagnetic field to be created by the portal and recieved by the figures. A large copper coil exists in the portal, and a large copper coil also exists in the characters. Due to the nature of the traps, the copper coil can only be tiny, so only extremely short-ranged RFID connections can be made. This means that the RFID reader needs to be within a centimetre or two of the chip - which is not possible if users are told that they can place the trap anywhere on the portal.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:35:37 25/04/2014 by jckelsall
ShaneK Yellow Sparx Gems: 1736
#16 Posted: 22:08:58 25/04/2014
Quote: jckelsall
That isn't neccessarily true. RFID requires an electromagnetic field to be created by the portal and recieved by the figures. A large copper coil exists in the portal, and a large copper coil also exists in the characters. Due to the nature of the traps, the copper coil can only be tiny, so only extremely short-ranged RFID connections can be made. This means that the RFID reader needs to be within a centimetre or two of the chip - which is not possible if users are told that they can place the trap anywhere on the portal.

I'm not sure if I agree with this, power is supplied by the portal not the figure, by your logic the portal has more power than the trap, therefore it is more likely to be able to read it than the trap.

I think it will be more likely an issue related to number of item on the portal at once, which for the next game they should be able to increase to include traps.

Also do you have any pictures of this copper cable in the figures? Are you referring to the outer rings on the chip?
ShaneK Yellow Sparx Gems: 1736
#17 Posted: 22:13:55 25/04/2014
Quote:
This is interesting (to me, anyway...). When my Stealth Elf stopped working, we took apart the bottom of the base to see what the microchip looked like, and we took a picture of it:
[User Posted Image]

It's extremely thin and weighs practically nothing. That little thing is what the memory is stored in.

The rings I mentioned.
wideawakewesley Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#18 Posted: 22:48:01 25/04/2014
I assume the crystals work like this

[User Posted Image]
---
Contributor to Family Gamer TV - http://www.familygamer.tv/
Follow me on twitter - http://www.twitter.com/wideawakewesley
Wolfgang Gold Sparx Gems: 2044
#19 Posted: 23:58:55 25/04/2014

(linked to not stretch page

That design makes a lot of sense, since there isn't a large flat base for it to be stored in with the crystals.
---
♫Cheap smoke, risin' like a spirit in the- soft glow of a New York street.
No glamour or garb can hide the animal heart inside of me.♫
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#20 Posted: 00:47:23 26/04/2014
Quote: Wolfgang

(linked to not stretch page

That design makes a lot of sense, since there isn't a large flat base for it to be stored in with the crystals.

Yeah because it only has to be able to remember a simple binary number to register the villain.
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
ViDeOmAnCiNi Platinum Sparx Gems: 7055
#21 Posted: 03:14:12 26/04/2014

Say what now? The traps only work in the "trap hole" of the new portal. See pic below with trap installed:

[User Posted Image]

I am 99.9999% sure you cannot just place them onto the portal like a regular figure. I am sure that this (like you describe above) was done on purpose to prevent someone from attempting to use two (or more) traps at once.

-VM
---
♫ "Many dreams come true and some have silver linings, I live for my dream and a pocketful of gold" ♫

FiUSAwS:G! http://bit.ly/R3L1lb
Mesuxelf Ripto Gems: 3666
#22 Posted: 03:48:40 26/04/2014
Quote: ViDeOmAnCiNi

Say what now? The traps only work in the "trap hole" of the new portal. See pic below with trap installed:

*snip* *snip*
I am 99.9999% sure you cannot just place them onto the portal like a regular figure. I am sure that this (like you describe above) was done on purpose to prevent someone from attempting to use two (or more) traps at once.

-VM

In Giants and Swap Force (maybe S:SA) you couldn't put more than one sidekick on the portal w/o the game stopping and not letting you do anything until you have only one skylander on the portal. So I am 100% sure you can not use the traptanium shards by putting them ON the portal.
Pyrofer Gold Sparx Gems: 2495
#23 Posted: 12:38:03 26/04/2014
We can draw almost no technical knowledge until somebody HAS this stuff in their hands.

The crystal traps clearly have SOME kind of a chip.

The reason you put them in the hole could be as much to do with making it "look and feel" nicer than having them lay on the floor of the portal as much as any technical reason.

Little more point speculating at this point.
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#24 Posted: 15:49:43 26/04/2014

[User Posted Image]

Just wait skylanders 5 is when these chips go in you and you become a skylander!
Pyrofer Gold Sparx Gems: 2495
#25 Posted: 19:08:11 26/04/2014
That's why the portals are getting bigger, by Skylanders 10 it needs to be big enough to stand in smilie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me