darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Trap Team > Anyone Else Disappointed in the Crystals?
Page 1 of 1
Anyone Else Disappointed in the Crystals?
PlayableMoogle Gold Sparx Gems: 2446
#1 Posted: 02:05:26 24/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Being able to play as enemies and all of that jazz sounds great, but I'm incredibly disappointed that the physical token I'll use for those characters are mostly non-descript crystals. What bunk. I've long wanted figures of chompies, trolls/drow, Kaos, Glumshanks, the Chompy Mage, etc..

This would've been a great opportunity.

So. Dumb.
willster8 Gold Sparx Gems: 2383
#2 Posted: 02:07:17 24/04/2014
That just means more money down the game. I think this is way cooler.
Failinhearts Gold Sparx Gems: 2376
#3 Posted: 02:11:34 24/04/2014
Better than nothing though.... plus it's cheaper this way.
---
SSA: 37/37. SG: 61/62. SSF: 73/75 STT: 42/78
Have left this forum, who knows if I'll come back...
A believer of Jesus Christ
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#4 Posted: 02:12:12 24/04/2014
To me, it looks like some are kind of sort of representations. Arguably, I'd love to have a figure of say, Vathek or the Chompy mage, but I think this is a somewhat acceptable middle ground.

Maybe in future games we'll get full fledged figures?
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
HotDogAndZap Emerald Sparx Gems: 3531
#5 Posted: 02:13:23 24/04/2014
^ I would LOVE a Vathek figure.
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8399
#6 Posted: 02:14:46 24/04/2014
Maybe some E-Bayers will make customs with statues on them?
talon4000 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#7 Posted: 02:16:36 24/04/2014
I want to know more about how they work, do specific keys only work for specific villians, but at least as an initial impression I love hearing them being trapped in the crystal. I am disapointed in how they look, but the earth one of a skeleton hand holding something looks cool, and the Kaos one looks sweet. But I'm afraid that the Kaos crystal will probably be the last thing released for Trap Team. Also this seems like something that may not continue to be playable in future games, but all that said, I can't wait to play as Wolfgang.
GigaCamo Emerald Sparx Gems: 4288
#8 Posted: 02:46:15 24/04/2014
Quote: HotDogAndZap
^ I would LOVE a Vathek figure.

Me to. He is my favorite Undead Character besides Funny Bones
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#9 Posted: 03:08:52 24/04/2014
Quote: PlayableMoogle
Being able to play as enemies and all of that jazz sounds great, but I'm incredibly disappointed that the physical token I'll use for those characters are mostly non-descript crystals. What bunk. I've long wanted figures of chompies, trolls/drow, Kaos, Glumshanks, the Chompy Mage, etc..

This would've been a great opportunity.

So. Dumb.

I was hoping for physical figures of villains, not a token. They've reduced toys to life by making it about a plastic key and then try and make up for it with the voice stuff. I heard TfB talking about using voices in their toys...wow this was (in my opinion) a 3rd tier qualifier. Not investing in these keys until I know if this qualifies for future games.

Quote: Failinhearts
Better than nothing though.... plus it's cheaper this way.

We don't know pricing. so you can't say that.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:11:18 24/04/2014 by GhostRoaster
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#10 Posted: 03:12:08 24/04/2014
Quote: talon4000
I want to know more about how they work, do specific keys only work for specific villians, but at least as an initial impression I love hearing them being trapped in the crystal. I am disapointed in how they look, but the earth one of a skeleton hand holding something looks cool, and the Kaos one looks sweet. But I'm afraid that the Kaos crystal will probably be the last thing released for Trap Team. Also this seems like something that may not continue to be playable in future games, but all that said, I can't wait to play as Wolfgang.

each token holds 4 so 10 crystals available.

Guessing some sort of type thing will select what crystals can hold whom
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
#11 Posted: 03:15:07 24/04/2014
Quote: Windumup

The symbols may force us to buy more crystals, and they've strongly hinted there will be more than the minimum required (for the completionists).
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#12 Posted: 03:18:25 24/04/2014
I like the crystals. If they made villains playable figures, they would NEVER be able to return to Skylands. They'd be frozen figures... And it wouldn't make sense if they were frozen on your shelf yet wandering around Skylands at the same time. I also like how this gimmick combines with the gameplay. It seems like it might encourage people to play the game and explore a bit more to hunt down the baddies they want, instead of just going to the store and buying them. That just seems more exciting to me.

The crystal gimmick isn't perfect, lore-wise it might end up disastrous when sequels come around(which is my biggest concern with this game- what it means for future games- however it's too soon to worry about that to me and I just want to wallow in the hype for now), but at least they can use the "villains managed to escape from Cloudcracker again and made Crystals stop working" excuse if they want to bring them back in in future games, or a "the villain liked being good and wants to stay good then got banished and turned into a figure by the other bad guys" excuse if they want to keep some playable(I hope Wolfgang sticks around). It's not perfect, but from what we know about the Trap Crystals so far, it seems feasible to me. Plus, I think the idea of trapping villains is just cooler than having them crash to Earth. It's more exciting than using them the same as Skylanders.

It's still muddled but at least it's more original than making them into figures, and plus, if they made them into figures they probably wouldn't let us have 40+ of them so that people wouldn't complain that there were too many to buy. Now we have 40+ villains we'll be able to play as. Of course, SF proves that more isn't nessicarily best... We'll just have to see. We still don't know everything about how this will go anyway. Maybe everyone's opinions about Trap Crystals will switch by the time the game rolls around. That's just my opinion, although I can see how it might irk others more.
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 03:28:10 24/04/2014 by Arc of Archives
#13 Posted: 03:37:52 24/04/2014
Well, I still think we'll get a Kaos element figure and an Eon element figure...that would account for the extra 2 figures they are touting will be available (18). They just HAVE to give us a Kaos figure...yes I'll take floating Eon too.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 03:40:19 24/04/2014 by GhostRoaster
gta1134 Blue Sparx Gems: 628
#14 Posted: 03:42:32 24/04/2014
Quote: Windumup

My guess is at least 2 keys per element plus some bonus keys. If you pause the trailer you can count 15 keys with 14 of them being elemental based and 1 being Kaos. There are 2 keys of Undead, Water, Air, Magic, Tech, and Earth while there are only 1 key for Fire, Life, and the Kaos. I have a feeling that there are going to be more than that and that they will have some effect on the character based on what crystal they are in.
---
Have an extra boomer and punch pop fizz that are opened and a darklight crypt that is still sealed for trade.
icecube7731 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1298
#15 Posted: 03:42:54 24/04/2014
Just from what we saw in the box from the trailer there will be more than 10 crystals. I think there will be the 8 generic elements but then some villains will have specific crystals.
---
37skylanders bsmilie rsmilie smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
28skylanders + minis(no smilie)
SSF: All minus dark STT: All standard
Haseo Blue Sparx Gems: 889
#16 Posted: 03:48:03 24/04/2014
From what I've gathered watching coin ops vids, The Enemies you defeat that are capturable are sent to the prison in the hub and from there you can swap the one on your crystal for another, However you can only store enemies of the specific element on there same element Prison key.

Also I think they will have multiple sculpts for the same element key so kids can choose the one they like the most.

so If everything does work out like this you will only need 1 of each element key to use all of the baddies in game, but having multiples means you could use 2 of the same element baddies in a single level with out going back out and swapping in the hub.
---
-something-
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#17 Posted: 06:33:03 24/04/2014
Its not the crystals Im worried about, its how ugly the portal is!
DaMadNes Blue Sparx Gems: 944
#18 Posted: 22:11:19 25/04/2014
I would have prefered to have a figure for each bad guy captured. Even if it was a crytal, just a silohuette (sp?) would have been nice. So what if it costs a little more.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:12:11 25/04/2014 by DaMadNes
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#19 Posted: 23:53:16 25/04/2014
Quote: yelvy
Its not the crystals Im worried about, its how ugly the portal is!

I actually love the new portal (other than cage part in front).[User Posted Image]

Anyway, I think the crystals are an interesting concept, and since we have multiple for each element, I hope that each one has some bonuses or something. While I would love a shrednaught figure, having more playable characters (plus I imagine trading crystals around will become quite popular) makes it worth not having them.

Lol, had the new game's gimmick simply been we can play with villain figures, there'd still be so much complaining.
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:57:43 25/04/2014 by Doomslicer
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#20 Posted: 00:29:49 26/04/2014
I recall the interview with one of the big wigs saying that Skylanders 4 was going to totally revolutionize the game . I viewed the trailor but i dont see anything more impressive then Swop force .

The idea of capturing a monster and later summoning it to fight on your behalf is not an original nor revolutionary idea .

Ash Catchem has pokeballs and Portal Masters have trap crystals . Weeeeeeee !!!
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
EmperorKaos Emerald Sparx Gems: 4392
#21 Posted: 12:47:49 26/04/2014
enslave monsters is fun
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:48:11 26/04/2014 by EmperorKaos
#22 Posted: 14:51:26 26/04/2014
Quote: Dark fhoenix
I recall the interview with one of the big wigs saying that Skylanders 4 was going to totally revolutionize the game . I viewed the trailor but i dont see anything more impressive then Swop force .

The idea of capturing a monster and later summoning it to fight on your behalf is not an original nor revolutionary idea .

Ash Catchem has pokeballs and Portal Masters have trap crystals . Weeeeeeee !!!

Yep. I agree. The idea of transforming a physical figure looks and feels more gratifying than buying plastic crystals and using a villain stored on it. Just saying.
---
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#23 Posted: 15:44:01 26/04/2014
I would have rather seen them take their lightcore tech and did soemthing where the lightcore would light of the eyes of say a kaos figure when you "caught " him. Id prefer figures over crystals. My thoughts is they are going this route so they can charge us for figures of these guys in a later game.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me