Page 1 of 1
Concern about Trap Team
blueruckus Green Sparx Gems: 419
#1 Posted: 00:10:09 24/04/2014 | Topic Creator
So far, every new version of Skylanders has been pretty simple with incorporating old figures... but with Trap Team, it's introducing an entire new physical element as part of the key mechanic of the game, using trap keys/crystals with the specifically designed portal. Assuming there is a FIFTH Skylanders beyond this, does that mean it's pretty much locked in to using a Trap-compatible portal and keys/crystals even if the gimmick of game 5 has absolutely nothing to do with it?

I understand we don't know everything about it and that there will be no definite answer to this right now, but it's just something to think about.
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#2 Posted: 00:13:45 24/04/2014
Unfortunately... Probably. Because whilst the Giants/Lightcore/Swaplanders should all work in STT and beyond... These trap things might not work ever again.
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#3 Posted: 00:16:42 24/04/2014
While plans always change, I think Toys For Bob/Activision is trying to make an effort to make all toys forward-compatible.

I'd say there's a chance the crystals won't work, but the figures will likely be okay.

*edit* Clarification - the Crystals might not work the same, but I'd be willing to bet they'll do *something*. smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:18:53 24/04/2014 by UncleBob
#4 Posted: 00:17:48 24/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: blueruckus
So far, every new version of Skylanders has been pretty simple with incorporating old figures... but with Trap Team, it's introducing an entire new physical element as part of the key mechanic of the game, using trap keys/crystals with the specifically designed portal. Assuming there is a FIFTH Skylanders beyond this, does that mean it's pretty much locked in to using a Trap-compatible portal and keys/crystals even if the gimmick of game 5 has absolutely nothing to do with it?

I understand we don't know everything about it and that there will be no definite answer to this right now, but it's just something to think about.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. One of the reasons I'm pretty okay with buying Skylanders is the understanding that it's, for the most part, a guarantee that they'll be usable in future installments. However, with these trap thingies, I'm not so sure... hopefully they're significantly cheaper than the $10 mark of corelanders.
bilbobagins3 Gold Sparx Gems: 2869
#5 Posted: 00:19:45 24/04/2014
I think this is all the more reason they are not bothering with characters for the villains. I would assume that the new characters will carry on as usual, but the villains will not. Having 15 unusable crystals will upset me far less than 40+ unusable villains, and given the need for the special portal, it will be easy to justify why they don't carry forward for the next game.
---
I collect way more than just Skylanders and other video games, check it out.

http://ryanwm1.filmaf.com/
#6 Posted: 00:20:55 24/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: UncleBob
While plans always change, I think Toys For Bob/Activision is trying to make an effort to make all toys forward-compatible.

I'd say there's a chance the crystals won't work, but the figures will likely be okay.

*edit* Clarification - the Crystals might not work the same, but I'd be willing to bet they'll do *something*. smilie

If this is the case, I hope the Trap Master skill trees don't revolve heavily around the Trap Crystal mechanic. I'd hate to see them be completely gimped for future installments.
Skylanders Dad Blue Sparx Gems: 878
#7 Posted: 00:33:07 24/04/2014
My main concerns:

1. Does the new portal (since we need a new one...*boos*) work backwards with all the previous games? I hope so. I keep one out and I really have no intention of keeping 2 out.

2. 40 crystals?!? Good God if you have to buy them all separately. Even more Good God if they are in blind packs. It's just too much quantity-wise. I have visions of deciding (gambling) whether to pay ebay scalpers 4 times the retail or having to buy 15 packs of doubles to find a Kaos trap. I think they are vastly overestimating the need for more than, say, somewhere between 10 and 20 of those things.
---
Here we go again...!
#8 Posted: 00:35:19 24/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Skylanders Dad
My main concerns:

1. Does the new portal (since we need a new one...*boos*) work backwards with all the previous games? I hope so. I keep one out and I really have no intention of keeping 2 out.

2. 40 crystals?!? Good God if you have to buy them all separately. Even more Good God if they are in blind packs. It's just too much quantity-wise. I have visions of deciding (gambling) whether to pay ebay scalpers 4 times the retail or having to buy 15 packs of doubles to find a Kaos trap. I think they are vastly overestimating the need for more than, say, somewhere between 10 and 20 of those things.

Is 40 crystals a confirmed fact? I know there was mention of 40 playable villains, but I haven't heard any concrete evidence on 40 crystals.
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#9 Posted: 00:37:21 24/04/2014
Quote: blueruckus
My main concerns:

Is 40 crystals a confirmed fact? I know there was mention of 40 playable villains, but I haven't heard any concrete evidence on 40 crystals.

There is a valid assumption that one villain is held within a crystal...the math is easy.

They will need to answer if the trap mechanic is going to be forward compatible or not. I'm guessing not, since the crystal is technically not a toy. If that's the case, that's a serious downside for me to pursue the game completely. I would've preferred to have actual villain figures frankly. This seems a bit too gimmicky, but I'm still mulling it over.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:39:42 24/04/2014 by GhostRoaster
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8399
#10 Posted: 00:38:22 24/04/2014
I'm kinda worried with the 3DS version and how weird the traps are gonna be.
wgeorge111 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3774
#11 Posted: 00:39:52 24/04/2014
Each trap crystal can hold 4 villains, so you do not need 40. It was in Family Gamer video.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:41:11 24/04/2014 by wgeorge111
#12 Posted: 00:42:57 24/04/2014
Quote: wgeorge111
Each trap crystal can hold 4 villains, so you do not need 40. It was in Family Gamer video.

That's good news I guess. So how the heck to you command which one of the 4 comes out of the trap. Oy vey.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#13 Posted: 00:44:38 24/04/2014
Push a button to call up the crystal, then push up, down, left or right to select the one that matches the image on screen. Just a random guess.
#14 Posted: 00:49:53 24/04/2014

I watched that video but didn't catch that...but I hope yer right....and then I wonder...How do you access which one if you have 4 different villains trapped in one crystal trap? Looked to me like they just popped up in the videos I wached, so I assumed 1 per villain based on that.

Edit: Ha...Ghostroaster beat me to this.
---
Here we go again...!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:50:41 24/04/2014 by Skylanders Dad
wgeorge111 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3774
#15 Posted: 00:52:24 24/04/2014
Family gamer takes a guess that there will be a Kaos crystal and an Eon crystal. So 8 element crystals (1 for each element) X 4 villains = 32. Then the other 8 villains get stored in the Kaos crystal (4 villains) and Eon crystal (4 villains) so totaling 40. He talks of those being 2 new elements. It is just him guessing.

Start watching at 10:00

Edited 3 times - Last edited at 01:02:28 24/04/2014 by wgeorge111
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#16 Posted: 00:52:33 24/04/2014
My main concerns:

I believe it said over 30 crystals.
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
#17 Posted: 00:59:54 24/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: ninja9351
My main concerns:

I believe it said over 30 crystals.

What's 'it'? Where is this info coming from?
#18 Posted: 01:04:11 24/04/2014
Family gamer takes a guess that there will be a Kaos crystal and an Eon crystal. So 8 element crystals (1 for each element) X 4 villains = 32. Then the other 8 villains get stored in the Kaos crystal (4 villains) and Eon crystal (4 villains) so totaling 40. He talks of those being 2 new elements. It is just him guessing.

Thanks for that. There's at least 15 traps if you pause the official trailer video at 3:43. Not sure if that accounts for them all (ie the box is a special box you can buy to hold them all) or not...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8T78t9iRjs
---
Here we go again...!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:05:14 24/04/2014 by Skylanders Dad
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8399
#19 Posted: 01:09:34 24/04/2014
The box may either become a pre-order bonus or a Toys R Us exclusive.
#20 Posted: 01:09:45 24/04/2014
Annnnddd...I just realized that neither of the starter pack ones is in that trailer video as the used one was a rock guitar and I don't see the two in the starter pack in the picture...so that's 17 we're up to now...Oy vey.
---
Here we go again...!
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#21 Posted: 01:15:27 24/04/2014
I would assume you don't need every single crystal. There's 40 villains, and if there's 4 in each one, you'd only need 10. But we saw 15 in the trailer, so there's at least that many, if not more. (and 15 looks like it'd overlap with the 8 elements anyways)

Without introducing a new element, they could go with 16 traps; 2 for each element. if you bought all of them, that'd allow you to store all the villains on their own crystal...twice lol. (16 traps x 4 on each =64 )

Honestly, the traps are the most interesting part of this whole thing and were pushed out of the limelight by the new figures. Why haven't they addressed any of THESE details yet? I don't give a butt about new figures, I want to know about these traps!
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
nocturnalnathan Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#22 Posted: 01:22:43 24/04/2014
Quote: somePerson
The box may either become a pre-order bonus or a Toys R Us exclusive.

I doubt we're going to get a sculpted wooden box like the one in the video, but I do hope they sell a case just for the traps. Unlike the larger figures, it'll be a lot easier to lose track of all of those small crystals.
---
"Chicks dig giant robots"
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#23 Posted: 03:20:14 24/04/2014
My main concerns:

the minimum crystal count is 10

because 4 enemies captured each times 10 crystals= enough to catch all of them
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
talon4000 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#24 Posted: 03:31:34 24/04/2014
very concerned about this, I will probably only buy a few traps and just trade the villains that i have in them around. I know I need to get an undead trap to capture wolfgang though, he must be mine
#25 Posted: 03:33:42 24/04/2014

So, when they talk of 18 new figures...I think you've uncovered the extra 2...we will get a Kaos figure and an Eon figure. Who wants to bet?
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me