darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Swap Force > Newbie.....which is your favourite game, and how do you level up?
Page 1 of 1
Newbie.....which is your favourite game, and how do you level up? [CLOSED]
crystalgirl Red Sparx Gems: 38
#1 Posted: 13:38:34 24/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Hi All! I am new to the forum, and currently playing Skylander Giants, though think I shall be purchasing swap force shortly!
I played SA when it first came out, and throughly enjoyed it! But then I met my boyfriend and thought he would find it all very babyish so decided to sell them all... crazy women. Then I go on and find out he is a complete gaming nut like me, and plays any game he likes lol! So I decided I would purchase Skylander giants about 2 months ago. I am loving it, and not rushing to finish it. I have several figures, and one of the questions I would like to ask he how do you guys level up your skylanders? I have been using the first three chapters a lot, and trying to complete those, whilst leveling up my characters, is this the right way to go about it, or do people have other methods? Do you play a figure through the entire game or take 4 or 5 with you of the same level. I am on chapter 7 and my highest skylander is level 8, that is ninjini.

Also which game is everyones favourite and why?

Oh, and can someone tell me what the silver sheep does in the adventure pack, and the diamond in tower of time (pop thorn looks so cute!)

Thanks and look forward to chatting skylanders with you guys
---
My lost islands code is tammers1978 add me!
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#2 Posted: 14:30:02 24/02/2014
Hi, welcome to DarkSpyro!
I usually start by playing all the Story Mode, trying to change my characters only when the game requires it (Elemental Zones, Giants Zones, areas where a certain element is stronger than another).
If you have more than one Skylander per element, try to use the newest first; this way you will start to know them better, and get used to their abilities. At this point you will probably have most of your characters at level 5 or higher.
Then, I do all the extra missions (Heroic Challenges, Arenas), and try to collect all the special items i forgot, or could't get, the first time I played.
Finally, I play the final levels of the game (for Giants go with The Lost City of Arkus) multiple times, with all my characters (start with an element, and don't change that until you have maxed out all its Skylanders), also completing the special missions for each Skylander.
If you have already got all the upgrades for a character, and you don't need more gold, then do some arenas, to achieve the final experience levels: it's quicker and easier!

My favorite game, however is Swap Force: it feels very different, from the previous two, but it offers a great experience, and I highly recommend it.

The Silver Sheep in the Tower of Time Adventure Pack turns your character into a sheep, healing him, and making him unnoticeable to enemies.

Hope I helped, sorry for the lenght! smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:35:46 24/02/2014 by Drek95
KiDFass65 Gold Sparx Gems: 2922
#3 Posted: 00:31:26 25/02/2014
Welcome!!

I've enjoyed all three of the games. They are fun characters and I have like the challenge of leveling and collecting. In GIANTS, the best way to level up is to go through the Heroic Challenges. I found these mini games to be the best way to get my Skylanders fix during the week after work and then I would play story mode during the weekend with my charged up team.

SWAP FORCE has much to offer. So, do not hesitate to get it if you've enjoyed the other games.
Serenade Green Sparx Gems: 201
#4 Posted: 02:28:19 25/02/2014
Funny story, crystalgirl. Mine is almost the opposite X3
I actually got into Skylanders because my girlfriend bought me Giants for christmas, and we enjoyed it a lot. Though i had been wanting it for long time, the toys-to-life concept was a cupid arrow to my peter pan soul, and she knew it smilie
I got Swap Force for this christmas and it's even better to play together

Anyway, as for Giants, i agree with Drek. It's very hard to level up past level 7 doing just the first chapters. Enemies give much, MUCH more experience on the latest chapters.
Proceding through the story also allows you to find more wheels and light bulbs for the Luck-O-matic, and with 3-4 blue wheels activated, you can level up even quicker. So yeah, the best thing to do is actually going on with story mode, even at a decent pace, no rush needed
I personally don't recommand focusing too much on Heroics and Skylanders Personal Quests, if not for the sake of entertainment, since the former give very little experience compared to any story/arena level past 3 and the stats increases are not carried over in Swap Force, while the latter also aren't carried over to SF, where you'll have to do them again, this time with a HP points award instead of the top hats.

And yes, Swap Force IS the best game of the saga so far, so i advise to skip such things as they serve no purpose for... "the future" smilie It's only downfall (outside of not having the option to switch the game to English in the Spanish-Italian version, unlike Giants... that REALLY was a letdown for me, as most of Skylanders original voice acting is great, while the Italian dub is really painful sometimes T_T) is having only 5 total arenas for PvP, toning down the overall improved Player vs Player mechanichs... it introduced co-op arenas though, which are nice
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8399
#5 Posted: 04:13:51 25/02/2014
Giants is my favorite, and my personal training grind is the last level on Easy.
Buuzer Hunter Gems: 6546
#6 Posted: 13:14:20 25/02/2014
Quote: Serenade
Funny story, crystalgirl. Mine is almost the opposite X3
I actually got into Skylanders because my girlfriend bought me Giants for christmas, and we enjoyed it a lot. Though i had been wanting it for long time, the toys-to-life concept was a cupid arrow to my peter pan soul, and she knew it smilie
I got Swap Force for this christmas and it's even better to play together

Anyway, as for Giants, i agree with Drek. It's very hard to level up past level 7 doing just the first chapters. Enemies give much, MUCH more experience on the latest chapters.
Proceding through the story also allows you to find more wheels and light bulbs for the Luck-O-matic, and with 3-4 blue wheels activated, you can level up even quicker. So yeah, the best thing to do is actually going on with story mode, even at a decent pace, no rush needed
I personally don't recommand focusing too much on Heroics and Skylanders Personal Quests, if not for the sake of entertainment, since the former give very little experience compared to any story/arena level past 3 and the stats increases are not carried over in Swap Force, while the latter also aren't carried over to SF, where you'll have to do them again, this time with a HP points award instead of the top hats.

And yes, Swap Force IS the best game of the saga so far, so i advise to skip such things as they serve no purpose for... "the future" smilie It's only downfall (outside of not having the option to switch the game to English in the Spanish-Italian version, unlike Giants... that REALLY was a letdown for me, as most of Skylanders original voice acting is great, while the Italian dub is really painful sometimes T_T) is having only 5 total arenas for PvP, toning down the overall improved Player vs Player mechanichs... it introduced co-op arenas though, which are nice

Nope, the 50 Heroics got carried in Swap Force too. they give:
Speed: +3
Armor: +4
Crit: +3
Elem. Power: +6
Funny fact: If You use the Editor you can give the 50 heroics challenges and Giants Quests symbol to new Core and Swap skylanders and they get bonus stats.

BTW I love Giants for the music and magic locations. I hate Swap Force because you can't skip the dialogue, bad music and nerfed Skylander but I love new graphics.
---
smilie smilie smilie youtube.com/user/GOWBuuzer smilie smilie smilie
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#7 Posted: 13:48:44 25/02/2014
Hey, welcome!

I won't get into my backstory, but I'll say my wife prefers Giants, I prefer Swap & SSA - though I do like Giants...I just find the other two a bit more challenging.

In terms of leveling up, the best I've found is actually on SSA - the last level. Not only is the money good - IMO it is the best money grabbing place outside of the gem cheat in Swap Force, but you can get good experience doing everything except Kaos. In Giants, I can't think of a truly good 'spot' as it's honestly very balanced. I would just play through it on normal, then kick up the difficulty, then kick it up to Nightmare difficulty, then try and get 3 stars on everything.

I will be honest though, I've got the whole set *relesaed so far* for all three games - and there is more character to level than content, so if you are just getting into it, don't worry about collecting them all, get the ones you like, then hop on eBay to find a 'Skylander Lot' that might have some figures you may need to unlock certain areas (like if you don't have wind or you need all the Giants).
- Unreall
#8 Posted: 14:32:36 25/02/2014
Quote: Buuzer

Errr, no... they do not
I just did a test with TH Camo to see if that was true.
His stats were 50 - 36 - 8 (speed, armor, crit) in swap force before. Then i put him on Giants and did 3 Heroics, that gave him +10 crit and +4 armor
Then i put him back on swap force and his stats were still 50 - 36 - 8
XboX version of both games

So no, they don't carry over. And it makes sense, otherwise Giants and SA figures could potentially have broken stats in Swap force, compared to the new ones
#9 Posted: 14:35:31 25/02/2014
Quote: Buuzer

Errr, no... they do not
I just did a test with TH Camo to see if that was true.
His stats were 50 - 36 - 8 (speed, armor, crit) in swap force before. Then i put him on Giants and did 3 Heroics, that gave him +10 crit and +4 armor
Then i put him back on swap force and his stats were still 50 - 36 - 8
XboX version of both games

So no, they don't carry over. And it makes sense, otherwise Giants and SA figures could potentially have broken stats in Swap force, compared to the new ones

The stats boost are given when you reach 35+ quests done. If you do 3-4 challenges there isn't any change in SF. I give 50 heroics challenges to all my Skylanders (including Cores and Swappers).
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:37:13 25/02/2014 by Buuzer
#10 Posted: 15:00:41 25/02/2014
Yeah, sure...
gta1134 Blue Sparx Gems: 628
#11 Posted: 15:21:19 25/02/2014
I do think he's right, my son got one skylander from a friend and he had all the heroics done and the stats were a bit better than the one he got a few nights ago (both level 10 but I couldn't tell you all the stat numbers).
One thing I've read was that they chenged the way armor and crit were displayed in this game so if you didn't hit the tick mark you wouldn't see a increase (though it may still be a blind increase) for instance if your armor was 400 before it would now be like 40 so if you too it to 404 it would still likely display 40 though it may calculate it like 40.4
---
Have an extra boomer and punch pop fizz that are opened and a darklight crypt that is still sealed for trade.
#12 Posted: 15:21:27 25/02/2014
Yeah, sure...

What is this "yeah,sure..."? Like I said, I used the editor to give 50 heroics to new characters and they get stats bonus (They are not suppose to get this stats boost).
---
#13 Posted: 15:24:13 25/02/2014
Oh and about the new skylanders being able to get the boosts with the editor. Can you add them to the swappers or is it just the new cores? Also I hope this means they add the heroics back in for the next game, I was thinking of picking up a copy of giants just to do them. Though that brings up another question, are the heroics challenging enough or are they just your basic time sink?
---
Have an extra boomer and punch pop fizz that are opened and a darklight crypt that is still sealed for trade.
#14 Posted: 15:32:09 25/02/2014
Quote: gta1134
Oh and about the new skylanders being able to get the boosts with the editor. Can you add them to the swappers or is it just the new cores? Also I hope this means they add the heroics back in for the next game, I was thinking of picking up a copy of giants just to do them. Though that brings up another question, are the heroics challenging enough or are they just your basic time sink?

Some challengers are easy, other medium and a few Hard (in terms of boring and took time to complete like Fright Rider Challenge). Only the Skylanders borns from Spyro's Adventure can get 50 heroics challenge complete (only in the first game), They deleted 5 quests in Giants (45 challenges in total), so only the old skylanders can get the 50 challenges. This means new cores and giants from Skylanders: Giants can't get all 50 challenges but only 45 (to fix this you can give the challenges only via editor and like I said Swappers and new cores from SF can get the 50 challenges too with stats boost).
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:34:35 25/02/2014 by Buuzer
#15 Posted: 16:04:51 25/02/2014
You can use a swap force portal for giants right? If so I might pick up a copy of the software from a gamestop or ebay (son has a couple giants already so he would be ok)
---
#16 Posted: 16:35:35 25/02/2014
You can use a swap force portal for giants right? If so I might pick up a copy of the software from a gamestop or ebay (son has a couple giants already so he would be ok)

Yes, the Swap Force portal works in Giants but like I said you can't get all 50 heroics challenges if this is your purpose.
---
alegeobla Gold Sparx Gems: 2501
#17 Posted: 20:02:44 25/02/2014
Yeah, sure...

it's already been proven that completing every heroic challenge does in fact give you a very small boost on your stats
---
100% Character Upgrades: SA 43/43 SG 69/69 SSF 76/76 STT 25/69 SSC 32/34 SI 5/31 SEE 10/14
Currently Working on: Sure Shot smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:03:00 25/02/2014 by alegeobla
#18 Posted: 20:57:00 25/02/2014
Quote: alegeobla
Yeah, sure...

it's already been proven that completing every heroic challenge does in fact give you a very small boost on your stats

Really?
Oh better this way then.
With the "it starts to show after 35 challanges" trait and the other stuff Buuzer said, it really sounded like a typical Rumour Dud, like the many ones i heard at the times of Pokèmon's first gen for the Gameboy, so i was extremely sceptical
Is there a source or something documented about it?
crystalgirl Red Sparx Gems: 38
#19 Posted: 20:56:39 26/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Thank you very much for your replies guys, its great to hear how you level up......... oh and you sold it Swap force will be arriving next week! lol
---
My lost islands code is tammers1978 add me!
WickedRogue Gold Sparx Gems: 2725
#20 Posted: 01:10:12 27/02/2014
Quote: alegeobla
Yeah, sure...

Really?
Oh better this way then.
With the "it starts to show after 35 challanges" trait and the other stuff Buuzer said, it really sounded like a typical Rumour Dud, like the many ones i heard at the times of Pokèmon's first gen for the Gameboy, so i was extremely sceptical

It's not a question, this has been known since last October. The only problem was it took longer to find out how much the stat change was if anything.
---
Elite Skystones Set Complete.
Pop Thorn Green Sparx Gems: 408
#21 Posted: 02:48:04 27/02/2014
Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure is by far the best skylanders game.
---
I am probably forgotten by now, but bye.
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#22 Posted: 02:58:36 27/02/2014
To level up my characters I use the current gen battle mode. (Pick an easy challenge and put nightmare mode on)
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#23 Posted: 03:44:50 27/02/2014

The data area for heroics are always on the character chips, even if a new character doesn't have them. It's up to each game implementation to "do" something with that area.

The heroics are a major time sink. 300 hours+ on my SSA and SG characters...for cool stats that work in the first two games but do nothing for me in the third game other than show a neat icon when he loads. Yeah, the stat boosts are nice but +3 speed when you've earned much more in the previous game is a major let down.

Really?
Oh better this way then.

Choose to believe or not...or better yet...get to doing and see for yourself. I don't think anyone is going to care if you believe the information or not. The information is not documented in the guides. Some things are simply mysteries waiting to be uncovered. FWIK, the tests were done by completing all heroics. I'm sure people doing it weren't checking it in between each heroic--so I'm sure that specific data point could be validated a bit more.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 03:54:03 27/02/2014 by GhostRoaster
#24 Posted: 11:28:09 27/02/2014
Woah, sorry for asking for proof to backup something then X3
Really, i was just curious to know it in details about how much the increase actualy is and if it's real, my finances don't allow me to buy many toys so i sure have no means of checking it myself. I thought someone who did could clear it since this is a forum, and it is meant to share informations by definition.
A simple photo showing a Skylander who achieved 35+ heroics's stats (without a hat and fully upgraded) in Swap Force would actually be more then enough, so anyone can compare it with theirs and see the actual difference. Easier then that...
#25 Posted: 16:20:58 27/02/2014
It's the way you came across man, unfortunately on the internet it's hard to tell someone's intention from text. The way it looked was like you were calling him a liar with out pictures, which in many cases I can understand but in this case it was extreme. If you doubted him you could have tried it yourself or even done a search that would have backed up what he said. Instead you decided to go with a knee jerk reaction and made yourself look extremely cynical at best.

Also just to be "that guy". You have more than 1 fiance? Is that legal where you live? and to just finish the thread in a similar sentiment "PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN" smilie
---
#26 Posted: 16:58:40 27/02/2014
I don't know if this stats boost affect Skylanders 4 .
BTW, 50 heroics challenges stats boost tested on S2 Eruptor:
[User Posted Image]

Armor: +5
---
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 17:44:27 27/02/2014 by Buuzer
#27 Posted: 17:54:04 27/02/2014
It's the way you came across man, unfortunately on the internet it's hard to tell someone's intention from text. The way it looked was like you were calling him a liar with out pictures, which in many cases I can understand but in this case it was extreme. If you doubted him you could have tried it yourself or even done a search that would have backed up what he said. Instead you decided to go with a knee jerk reaction and made yourself look extremely cynical at best.

Also just to be "that guy". You have more than 1 fiance? Is that legal where you live? and to just finish the thread in a similar sentiment "PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN" smilie

I did tried it myself, if you read
And i said "Finances", not fiances... look it up in the dictionary

Anyway, i see this argument is a mined field, so i'll shut my yap about it, as the topic has already gone off too much.
I don't wanna start anything bigger then it should, sorry guys

Edit: Thank you for the pics, Buuzer.
I also had'nt fully understand if the stat increase was fixed no matter the number of heroics or if every heroics past 35 increased the stat following those numbers. Now everything is clear
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:49:17 27/02/2014 by Serenade
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me