Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Fandom > Fan Fiction > To Every new FanFiction Writer! Please Read!
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
To Every new FanFiction Writer! Please Read! [STICKY]
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#1 Posted: 13:55:10 22/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Hello follow Fanfic writers! I'm NINJAsk11, your Fanfic Club Host for today! And I happily announce the DarkSpyro FanFic Help Topic!
Here, you, yes you, as a new fanfic writer, learn some of the most inportant rules about writing good fanfics. You can also see people's opinions about Fanfics. A few links to good examples and etc etc just call it!

If you have anything to add to the list or if you have any suggestions, leave 'em here!

Hope it works for you! Happy Day writing your Fanfics!

In a Roleplay based Fanfic [Smile-Based]
There are people who do this alot, and have fun with it, two Examples off Fanfics like these, and successfull are: Wreckingbalbob's Stories and Le Skylanders Stories from Zapnorris.
Now wen you look at them you see they have a nice and perfect amound of sentences and lines for the Skylanders/characters.
Some other "Writers" only have an amound of 5 sentences per post, with pissed some readers off. That's why I'd advise you to make at least 20 to 30 sentences per post. This way, you keep readers reading, and interested... with only 5 sentences readers soon hack off and stop reading... and that's not what you want!

Skylanders Based stories [Not Smile-Based]
Same thing goes here: Only 5 sentences per post is realy annying for most readers, so again I'd advise you to write (In no smile-based Fanfics about Skylanders) to write at least 50/60 sentences!
This way (Again) you keep your readers reading, and interested.
Two of the most nice and decent FanFics in this catogory are from Bluefox-Trek and from Uttser13-Shelves

Classick Spyro
The same thing, again? Yess!
Samius' Fanfiction is a good example of what I mean with a decent Classick Spyro fanfiction.

DarkSpyro.net based [Users of this site-based]

There are a few things:

BEFORE you start ask the users you want to use if they're fine with it!
This is just because I sometimes see people using other Users, and later these users are like "Hey! You didn't ask me to be in this!" This is just advice for you to evoid this conflict.

Don't use ALL users of the site!
This will cartainly evoid confusiong if you do so, I mean... there are alot of Dark(Lord, wolf, 52 etc etc)s and this will cause confusion... and then readers will stop reading, and you lose your featback...

It's a smart idea to list in the first post who you use!
At least for me, so that's the way I keep track of who I've used. If you want, you can even add what the users resamble etc etc. Again, this is just advice.

Examples of Darkspyro Based Fanfics:
DS Fanfic 12 Angry users
and
dS Fanfic Lost Legends of Voids
Those two Fanfics just are used as a example of what I mean with organization and a decent amound of sentences and words.

Fanfics NON-based upon Darkspyro, Skylanders/Classick Spryo:
Do not belong in fanfiction, but in NON-SPYRO! That's not meant to be offencieve, but for me, it makes more sence... Just telling, if you disagree I understand.

Please use PROPER GRAMMER and SPELLING!
This is advise for EVERY fanfic that is posted on our site! USE PROPER GRAMMER AND SPELLING!
People HATE IT wen you don't mind your spelling, grammer and they absolutely hate it wen you don't use your characters/letters right
-Credit to Uttser13 for reminding me this!
Gremmer Mistakes made on purpose, now you see how much of a hinder it can be :3

Quote: DimitriDM
Heh for tories and all, for the reader, you should never write stories in one entire row of text, without using alinia's.

Anything else you'd love to point out, or what you find missing in Fanfics around our Site? Tell me, and I'd love to add the rules in the first or second post smilie

PS: This isn't meant to cause conflicts, just giving advise.

More advice and tips:
Post #2: Reminders for Writers
Post #68: Writer's Block and Character Explanation

Post #86: Reporting, Suggestions, Discussion, and Writer's Decision
Post #93: Constructive Criticism and Rating
Edited 10 times - Last edited at 19:30:32 02/08/2015 by Trix Master 100
#2 Posted: 13:55:23 22/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Some stuff that others have reminded me off, and it NEEDS it's own post:

Feedback

Don't be afraid to give critique!
If you find a Fanfic bad/worse/realy uneccesery/etc don't be afraid to say so, even if you might sound offending! The writer who recieves the coment should take it politely and lightly, and use it as a tip/advised post to inprove their skills

Wen someone gives a comment/feedback post, be sure to comment back!
With this you let the person who made the feedback post know you've read it, and you accept the critique and/or feedback posts

If you give feedback don't just say "Nice"/"Good!
Be sure to tel what you think of it, and..gah... just tell EVERYTHING you find good or bad!

Permission to make a Story that is already excisting

Quote: Troll Slug
Getting permission to write stories similar to other stories. I know Eruptor, Sleepy, Paddy, and WBB (I think) wrote stories similar to ZapNorris's Boomer's Big Break. However, everyone but Sleepy asked for permission first.

With this, we mean to say that wen somebody makes a story, and you want to make a story alike this, ask permission for this to the Creator of the story were you idea is based upon! This is realy essentional to evoid conflict!

PG's
If you use Mature Content make sure to either warn your readers at the beginning of your post. or spoil your FanFic
Just use the spoiler Tag

If your story is based upon Violence/Creepypasta Don't go overboard with the gory blood stuff!
Quote: gillgrunt987
The writer shouldn't go overboard with the mature content, unless they specifically have a good reason to do so. What I mean is, not a lot of people want to see endless violence over a fan fiction instead of story. It also applies to romance, but romance should be kept PG in my opinion. Of course, many people know what to do with PG content but this is just a tip.

Don't make it too compicated!
-Credit to Pop Thorn
Just don't do something like this:

Person: Go to somewhere
Person: *Defeats spyro*
Pikachu:*Eats popcorhn and teleports to somewhere
Darkspyro:*DIES:*

Just make it logic, just frickn' LOGIC! Yess this realy pisses me off wen done wrong ;>.>

Writer's Block

What is Writer's Block?
Writer's block is that you are completely out of ideas for your fanfiction, you can, for example, be blund on ideas of what you should do, or you just feel like giving up.

Wen you have Writer's Block- Do's and Don't's
Do: Tell your readers you have writers block.
Do: not look at your fanfiction all the time, this'll cause an even bigger writers block.
Do: Put it in your Topic Title you've got writers block.
Do: close the topic wen you REALY can't get out of ideas.
Do and/or Don't: Make a new topic(Optional)
Don't: Try to go on and ruffle it off
Don't: do anything above if you REALY don't feel like it.

Quote: contradiction
Also, one other tip is to make sure not to contradict yourself like:
Chapter 4 - Malefor had a son named Cyro
THEN later
Chapter 28 - Spyro watched Cyro fly away from the volcano, he'd been corrupted again by his own son!!

Quote: Attension isn't a good way to start...
I find it stupid that after a chapter is no one posts about it they ask if anyone will read. Instead of waiting for readers they should just carry on doing chapters rather than waiting for an audience.

Click this Link to get to the post with Tips against Authurs Block as Well as Character Help!
Edited 10 times - Last edited at 07:07:42 31/08/2014 by NINJAsk11
uttster13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2701
#3 Posted: 14:29:05 22/02/2014
Great idea! All of the newer readers definitely need to read this! The things I hate most is when a 'short' story has like three sentences and EVERYTHING is spelled wrong. smilie
---
A story.
#4 Posted: 14:41:03 22/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: uttster13
Great idea! All of the newer readers definitely need to read this! The things I hate most is when a 'short' story has like three sentences and EVERYTHING is spelled wrong. smilie

Thank you for reminding me that! I'm going to add that!
#5 Posted: 14:43:53 22/02/2014
You might want to change the title to something like:

"All New Writers, Please Read!" or "Da' Rules of Making a Fan Fiction". That might get the new writers to read this. smilie
---
A story.
#6 Posted: 14:44:55 22/02/2014 | Topic Creator
You might want to change the title to something like:

"All New Writers, Please Read!" or "Da' Rules of Making a Fan Fiction". That might get the new writers to read this. smilie

That's a good idea as well, thanks for cooperating with me. smilie
#7 Posted: 14:47:48 22/02/2014
No problem! I just want all of our new/unskilled (I hope that doesn't sound too mean. smilie) writers to learn how to make a good, promising story for our enjoyment. smilie
---
A story.
Troll Slug Ripto Gems: 2054
#8 Posted: 14:50:00 22/02/2014
Yes, I agree.

IMO, this deserves a sticky.

NINJAsk, Uttster, can you give your honest opinion on my "Adventure In Space" fanfic? Thanks. smilie
#9 Posted: 14:53:23 22/02/2014 | Topic Creator
No problem! I just want all of our new/unskilled (I hope that doesn't sound too mean. smilie) writers to learn how to make a good, promising story for our enjoyment. smilie

Thank you very much again, you reminded me something!

EDIT:
Yes, I agree.

IMO, this deserves a sticky.

NINJAsk, Uttster, can you give your honest opinion on my "Adventure In Space" fanfic? Thanks. smilie

Yes, thanks, and sure, will do that smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:54:05 22/02/2014 by NINJAsk11
#10 Posted: 15:16:24 22/02/2014
Getting permission to write stories similar to other stories. I know Eruptor, Sleepy, Paddy, and WBB (I think) wrote stories similar to ZapNorris's BBB. However, everyone but Sleepy asked for permission first.
#11 Posted: 15:19:47 22/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Getting permission to write stories similar to other stories. I know Eruptor, Sleepy, Paddy, and WBB (I think) wrote stories similar to ZapNorris's BBB. However, everyone but Sleepy asked for permission first.

Thanks again! smilie
#12 Posted: 15:29:14 22/02/2014
Ooo! That's a good one! I remember a lot about that problem coming up. Just recently, night bomb guy made a topic called Skylander Stories (Which really isn't a creative name at this point.) that had a word for word copy of BBB.
---
A story.
TheSpyrofan12 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#13 Posted: 16:02:16 22/02/2014
This topic is very much needed. I agree with these rules 110%
---
Bring the Fanta
#14 Posted: 16:02:46 22/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: TheSpyrofan12
This topic is very much needed. I agree with these rules 110%

Thank you! smilie
#15 Posted: 17:39:23 22/02/2014
Quote: NINJAsk11

Thanks again! smilie

Welcome! smilie Thx for adding the link!
azz01 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#16 Posted: 18:50:37 22/02/2014
I am going to write a classic fan fic soon and I would appreciate soon feed back.smilie
---
Call me the penguin man for that is who I am. Also stan LOOΠΔ!
#17 Posted: 18:57:45 22/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: azz01
I am going to write a classic fan fic soon and I would appreciate soon feed back.smilie

Trust me. You'll get it.
Pop Thorn Green Sparx Gems: 408
#18 Posted: 19:01:50 22/02/2014
This is great advice. Another tip: Don't make the story hard to understand. Like this:

person: *teleports to somewhere*

other person: *teleports to somewhere*

person: we both teleported here. Let's explore

other person: I found a castle

person: ok let's go in.

Other person: Yay I defeated a bad guy.

END
---
I am probably forgotten by now, but bye.
#19 Posted: 19:07:45 22/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Thank you, Pop Thorn! I will add that once I am on the right devise!
#20 Posted: 19:20:24 22/02/2014 | Topic Creator
*double posts*

I've added it!
eruptshake137 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1436
#21 Posted: 16:14:29 23/02/2014
This is pretty cool! I decided to add a little more sentences to the latest part of my story.
---
Prepare for trouble. Make it double.

CATS
#22 Posted: 17:13:27 25/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: eruptshake137
This is pretty cool! I decided to add a little more sentences to the latest part of my story.

Good! smilie

How's everyone's feedback going?
#23 Posted: 20:34:07 25/02/2014
I know this may be the wrong place but I was wondering f anyone could give me advice?I am looking to write a skylanders fan fic and have no plot ideas.I thought asking people what they like and thought of making a topic.I decided against it since I don't want to force people to read my fan fic an I doubt people would respond.Does anyone have any ideas.If you don't want me to post here I will delete this help.Thanks in advance.
---
#24 Posted: 20:41:03 25/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Hmm.. a plot creates on its own. Its good you asked, but the slightest idea can be a grat plot. smilie
ProphetFlareon Red Sparx Gems: 56
#25 Posted: 04:47:56 26/02/2014
I don't know if you did this on purpose to be sarcastic but grammer is spelled grammar and you spelled when wrong in the Spelling and Grammar section :3
---
dito
"do work before you go on darkspyro" ~ some idiot
#26 Posted: 08:35:29 26/02/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: ProphetFlareon
I don't know if you did this on purpose to be sarcastic but grammer is spelled grammar and you spelled when wrong in the Spelling and Grammar section :3

Yes, that was on purpose, now you see how annyoid you are smilie
#27 Posted: 00:13:27 05/03/2014
What do you think of this?
---

CATS
#28 Posted: 05:36:59 05/03/2014 | Topic Creator
ES@: not bad, but it might be a good idea to tell what people say

"______" Droboy said. "_____________" Zou Lou replied to Drobot
Etc smilie
#29 Posted: 02:44:45 08/03/2014
Quote: ProphetFlareon

Yes, that was on purpose, now you see how annyoid you are smilie

I noticed, but assumed it was a typo and ignored it.
#30 Posted: 19:21:29 09/03/2014
Hey Ninjask should I make a topic so people can share their non spyro fan fics?How it would look like:

Name of fan fic:
[url]Link to topic in non spyro[/url]

Well should I?
---
#31 Posted: 19:25:29 09/03/2014 | Topic Creator
Well, it would be a good idea to catogorize EVERY fanfic and list them/link them all etc, so that there are links to NonSpyroFanFics... How does that sound?
#32 Posted: 19:27:10 09/03/2014
Well, it would be a good idea to catogorize EVERY fanfic and list them/link them all etc, so that there are links to NonSpyroFanFics... How does that sound?

Yeah.Really it is for anyone who wants their fan fic advertised.Should I do it.

It would be nice since not many people actually visit the non-spyro section.
---
gillgrunt987 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7341
#33 Posted: 16:45:18 10/03/2014
I like the guidelines shown in this topic. They give a general view of what to do when writing a Fan Fiction and they will be quite helpful for aspiring writers. I have a small tip to enhance the PG's section. The writer shouldn't go overboard with the mature content, unless they specifically have a good reason to do so. What I mean is, not a lot of people want to see endless violence over a fan fiction instead of story. It also applies to romance, but romance should be kept PG in my opinion. Of course, many people know what to do with PG content but this is just a tip. Anyway, the tips in this topic given by other users have been useful and helpful in enhancing this topic. As for a sticky, we will see.
---
I can survive scalding hot coffee and being whipped for 24 hours a day. Digestive biscuits or riot.
#34 Posted: 16:49:21 10/03/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: gillgrunt987
The writer shouldn't go overboard with the mature content, unless they specifically have a good reason to do so. What I mean is, not a lot of people want to see endless violence over a fan fiction instead of story. It also applies to romance, but romance should be kept PG in my opinion. Of course, many people know what to do with PG content but this is just a tip.

Hey! Thanks, I do like that rule alot, I'll post it in the PG section and credit

I dont realy care for a sticky this much ;>m>
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#35 Posted: 17:41:50 10/03/2014
Rather than 20-30 I'd say more like 10-30 lines... Also I'd say that you should make release schedule and not do one every month but every few days or every day. Also breaks after stories are okay too. I'd say 0-7 days for a break. I agree with everything else though.

Also, DECENT? I pretty much was the first to do it.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:43:21 10/03/2014 by wreckingballbob
#36 Posted: 18:01:46 10/03/2014 | Topic Creator
I don't care if you started or not. No offence

I do agree with them but I do not edit because people are pretty... well...
#37 Posted: 20:05:22 10/03/2014
If you have writer's block, try to say that.
#38 Posted: 15:20:55 12/03/2014 | Topic Creator
If you have writer's block, try to say that.

Hmm... True... It's best to type that in your Topic Title....
kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
#39 Posted: 15:36:32 12/03/2014
I'm liking this idea. Especially the link idea.
---
I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
#40 Posted: 14:02:35 13/03/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: kardonis
I'm liking this idea. Especially the link idea.

Thanks

I think I'm going to make the link topic soon. I'm going to include the Non-Spyro fanfics too smilie
MagicFizz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3551
#41 Posted: 01:53:43 23/03/2014
Well said. *applauds*
---
My life is complete.
#42 Posted: 05:51:37 04/04/2014 | Topic Creator
*Bump*

Lately, there is a fanfic writer, doing it all wrong. I advise this cartain writer to at least FOLLOW THESE GOD OCEANIT RULES!
*Coughgnarlytreerexcough*
#43 Posted: 22:07:25 29/05/2014
Hello? This really needs a bump.
---

CATS
#44 Posted: 10:35:30 30/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Yes, I agree. Just asking everyone, but who thinks this needs a sticky?
#45 Posted: 15:08:13 30/05/2014
I do!!!
---

CATS
Gohdan Green Sparx Gems: 289
#46 Posted: 16:12:50 30/05/2014
I think it should. I read through it, it's good! Thanks for the info!
---
"Home is a pin...humanity...cattle."
SpyroinDraenor Blue Sparx Gems: 771
#47 Posted: 07:06:42 31/05/2014

THEN later

Chapter 28 - Spyro watched Cyro fly away from the volcano, he'd been corrupted again by his own son!!

||||

This from a story that I'm reading and I noticed this contradiction, writers should be careful about this.

Oh and BTW, would any of you guys mind reading one of my fan-fics, they are in my signature
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#48 Posted: 07:47:16 31/05/2014
I find it stupid that after a chapter is no one posts about it they ask if anyone will read. Instead of waiting for readers they should just carry on doing chapters rather than waiting for an audience.
---
#49 Posted: 15:37:34 31/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: SpyroinDraenor
THEN later

Quote: wreckingballbob

Thank you both, these are very notable thinks that should be going along the lines! smilie
I'll drop them both on the Second post!
#50 Posted: 20:36:54 31/05/2014
It was Stickied! Congrats!
---

CATS
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me