darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Giants > New to Skylanders, just got Giants
Page 1 of 1
New to Skylanders, just got Giants [CLOSED]
Biodude Blue Sparx Gems: 667
#1 Posted: 15:28:05 25/11/2013 | Topic Creator
Greetings,

Saw Giants on clearance for $18, so I decided to pick it up. My daughter's been interested in the female characters, so I'll definitely be looking for those (In particular, she likes Chill, Whirlwind*, Ninjini, and Flashwing). I'll probably fill out the roster with ones that I like, probably starting with Thumpback and Terrafin. And I know I'll need to add some Tech and Fire to get all the elements.

Any other advice?

I've heard that I want S2 figures since they have an extra power or something? Is that true for all S2 figures, or just for figures that had a S1 version with the first game?

Are the Adventure Packs worth getting? I suppose for $10 this Wednesday they are, of course that means S1 figures, but for that price, I think I can deal with it. Any kind of ranking for the packs?

*Of course, I missed the $4 Whirlwind at Amazon this morning. Grr.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#2 Posted: 19:08:36 25/11/2013
The adventure packs are great!
I-Brawler Emerald Sparx Gems: 3565
#3 Posted: 20:02:49 25/11/2013
Yeah but they only work with SSA.

Wow Pows are for returning characters only(such as terrafin(orange base)). However, new characters don't have them(look at the upgrade section in the skylanders giants section of this forum for the new characters).

You'll also need an undead element skylander.

Flashwing and Whirlwind are great!

Ask me if you need any more advice.
---
you never saw me
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#4 Posted: 21:14:21 25/11/2013
If you live near a NJ's wholesale club alot of giants figures are $3 atm.. chill, ignator, whirlwind etc
Biodude Blue Sparx Gems: 667
#5 Posted: 21:27:12 25/11/2013 | Topic Creator
Cool, thanks.

I thought Cynder was Undead? And I thought the Adventure Packs just opened the same level in Giants? Well, the first four at least, I assume the new one is Swap Force exclusive.
I-Brawler Emerald Sparx Gems: 3565
#6 Posted: 22:01:28 25/11/2013
Quote: Biodude
Cool, thanks.

I thought Cynder was Undead? And I thought the Adventure Packs just opened the same level in Giants? Well, the first four at least, I assume the new one is Swap Force exclusive.

Oh, whoops. Forgot she was in the starter pack. smilie
---
you never saw me
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#7 Posted: 00:16:58 28/11/2013
18 Bucks!?! That's an even better deal than I got. (I payed 20 for the Portal Owners pack.)

Quote: I-Brawler
Yeah but they only work with SSA.

Not true. They are compatible with Giants as well.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:17:46 28/11/2013 by MugoUrth
tobby Ripto Gems: 234
#8 Posted: 16:41:31 28/11/2013
18 bucks, thats what i call a deal, welcome to skylands smilie
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#9 Posted: 01:33:34 29/11/2013
I paid $14 for some SA starter packs, now I have about ten extra lying around. They cost me less than the price of a single regular figure does now. smilie

S2 are better than S1 in every way, they get an extra upgrade and can switch paths in Giants/SF, and they also unlock more Heroic Challenges which no green base figures do in Giants. They work perfectly normal in SA.
Colour variants like Legendaries basically come down to picking which colour scheme you prefer.
S2 and S3 come down to which extra upgrade (Wow Pow) you prefer, S3s have no advantages over S2s of the same characters and just have a different new upgrade if you want that.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:36:27 29/11/2013 by Arc of Archives
Tigerbear222 Green Sparx Gems: 358
#10 Posted: 16:21:08 31/01/2014
Here is my own pack ranking: ( I have played as each character and played each level)

1. Darklight Crypt. (I highly doubt you will ever find this, but if you do, buy it. It is rare and it is a fun level with a cool character/items.)

2. Dragon's Peak. (Sunburn is ehh... but the level is decent. Items are a godsend for speed running.)

3. Empire of Ice. (OK level, OK items, OK character.)

4. Pirate Seas. (Common, pretty boring level/matching gimmick, has a character that has a single pack S2/S3, and items aren't good. Just avoid this and get the S2 version if possible. Otherwise S3.)

And that's that.
---
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thetigerbearman123
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#11 Posted: 16:48:06 31/01/2014
Well the silly card game in Pirate seas kinda kills the mood but you dont have that for DS game .

I use the hidden dragon chest toy from the pirate seas pack just about every time i play . Thats an extra gold chest per level . The boots of speed from Dragons peak are a close second .

I think Empire of Ice is my favorite because i liked everything . The level , The Slam Bam and the two toy buffs . There is at least one thing you dont like in the other packs .

In my opinion the adventures packs are a nice little add on but you get more for your money if you buy multiple Skylanders for the same price . I wish those levels were a bit longer..

If they are selling S1 "obsolete" skylanders for half the price of their S2 counter parts I would buy them . Dont forget there are retired characters from S1 that you wont find in S2 or S3 that work just fine .

I would say if they are selling S1 and S2 skylanders for same price then yes buy S2 figures .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 16:55:32 31/01/2014 by Dark fhoenix
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me